This tutorial shows you how to use the ‘Media’ section of the WordPress Mobile App.
This tutorial was created using an earlier version of the WordPress Mobile App and may contain outdated information. Please bookmark this page as we will be updating this tutorial soon! To be notified of updates to our content, subscribe to our updates list (see sidebar), or Like our Facebook page.
How To Use The WordPress Mobile App – Media
In this tutorial, you will learn how to add photos and videos to your WordPress site using the WordPress App for mobile devices.
For this tutorial, we’ll use the WordPress For Android version of the WordPress mobile app. The process explained below is similar for iOS devices (e.g. iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad).
For more information about WordPress For IOS, go here:
You should have already set up your WordPress App. If not, go here.
The WordPress Mobile App – Media
Tap on your WordPress app icon to log into your account …
The WordPress App gives you access to the following Media-related functions:
- Quick Photo – Take photos with your mobile device and add them to your posts.
- Quick Video – Shoot videos with your mobile device and add them to your posts.
To insert a photo into a post tap on the Quick Photo menu …
This will immediately launch the camera application in your mobile device.
Take a photo with the camera and click Save to keep the image, or Discard to try again …
The application creates a new WordPress post and inserts your photo. Add some content, edit your settings and you are ready to publish your post …
After adding an image to your post, you can adjust the image settings by tapping on the image. This brings up the Image Settings screen …
The Image Settings screen allows you to edit the following settings on your image:
- Image filename – Change your image filename.
- Image caption – Add an image caption. This field is optional.
- Horizontal alignment – Choose from the following options: None, Left, Center, and Right.
- Width – Use the slider to adjust the image width.
- Use as featured image – Check the box in this field to set your image as a featured image.
After adjusting your settings, click on OK to save your new settings, or Cancel to exit the Image Settings screen without saving your settings.
To insert a video into a new post tap on the Quick Video menu …
This will immediately launch the video camera application in your mobile device.
Record a video and click Save to keep it, or Discard to try again …
The application creates a new WordPress post and inserts your video. Add some content, edit your settings and you are ready to publish your post …
Note: If your video uploads to your site … great!
In some instances, however, you may find that posting a video using the WordPress App results in errors and your video not displaying on your post.
In the screenshot below, for example, after adding a new video to a post and publishing it, the video screen size was too large …
And no video displayed …
On another occasion, nothing even showed up on the screen …
There are many reasons why you may be experiencing problems with your videos when you use the WordPress App. It is beyond the scope of this tutorial to help you troubleshoot issues with videos.
Here are some suggestions:
- Make a test post with your mobile device. If you experience issues with videos not displaying on your site after publishing your post, then do not use the Quick Video method. Instead, capture videos with your device as you normally do, download the video file to your computer and then use the media uploader to insert the video into your post.
- Contact your webhost. You may need to add file-extensions/mime types to your server in order to play the files.
Congratulations! Now you know how to use the WordPress Mobile App for adding media to your WordPress site via a mobile device.
Now that you know how to use the ‘Media’ section of the WordPress Mobile App, the next step is to learn how to use the ‘Admin’ section of the App.
To learn more about using the WordPress Mobile App’s Admin section, see the tutorial below:
See Also …
- How To Use The WordPress Mobile App – Overview
- How To Use The WordPress Mobile App – Posts And Pages
- How To Use The WordPress Mobile App – Comments
- How To Use The WordPress Mobile App – Settings
"If you're new to WordPress, this can stand on its own as a training course and will stay with you as you progress from beginner to advanced and even guru status." - Bruce (Columbus, Ohio)
Disclaimer: We have no association with WordPress, Automattic, or any WordPress products mentioned or reviewed on this website. We may derive an affiliate commission from the purchase of third-party products advertised, mentioned or linked from our site. All product images remain the copyright of their respective owners and comply with all license terms and agreements of use to the best of our knowledge.
Did you find this article useful? If so, please take a moment to share this article with anyone thinking of starting or growing their business online using the social buttons below.