Table of Contents
WordPress Gutenberg Blocks – Shortcode
This tutorial is part of our WordPress Gutenberg: The Ultimate Guide For Non-Technical WordPress Users series.
- To learn more about using the Gutenberg content editor and the editor interface, go here: WordPress Gutenberg Content Editor
- To learn more about using blocks, go here: How To Use WordPress Gutenberg Blocks
Shortcode Block Description
The Shortcode Block lets you insert custom elements into WordPress using shortcodes.
(Add shortcodes to WordPress using the Shortcode Block)
How To Use The Shortcode Block
To add a Shortcode Block:
- Type or paste in your shortcode.
- Save, publish, or update your post or page.
Let’s go through the above steps:
First, create a new post or page or open an existing post or page and either:
Click on the ‘Add Block’ tool and select a ‘Shortcode’ block …
(‘Add Block’ Tool – Add Shortcode Block)
Or, select a Shortcode Block in the Content Area …
(Add a Shortcode Block from the Content Area)
There is nothing else to do after adding shortcodes. Save, publish, or update your post or page to save your settings.
How To Remove A Shortcode Block
To delete or remove a shortcode block:
- Click inside the Shortcode Block to select it.
- Select the ‘More Options’ tool in the Block Editor.
- Click on ‘Remove Block’.
- The block will be removed from your post or page.
(Remove a Shortcode Block)
- You can reposition your block using the ‘Move Up’ and ‘Move Down’ arrows or the Drag and Drop handle tool (see our ‘How To Use Blocks‘ tutorial if you need help with this step).
- You can also convert Shortcode Blocks into Reusable Blocks.
Shortcode Block Tools, Options & Settings
The Shortcode Block includes:
- Shortcode Block Editor
- Shortcode Block Settings
Shortcode Block Editor
(Shortcode Block Editor)
The Shortcode Block Editor contains only the following:
- Display Block Type (See ‘Shortcode Block – Additional Info’ section below.)
- Shortcode Field
- Type or paste in your shortcode
- More Options
- See ‘More Options’ menu section in the Gutenberg Content Area tutorial for more details.
Shortcode Block Settings
(Shortcode Block Settings)
Shortcode Block settings include only:
- Block description area
Shortcode Block – Additional Info
- The Shortcode Block cannot be converted into other block types.
- Installing plugins or themes on your site may add new functionality, options, or settings to Shortcode Blocks.
Congratulations! Now you know how to use the WordPress Gutenberg content editor Shortcode Block.
- To learn how to use other Gutenberg blocks, go here: WordPress Gutenberg Content Editor – How To Use Blocks
- For more tutorials on using the Gutenberg content editor, go here: WordPress Gutenberg: The Ultimate Guide For Non-Technical WordPress Users
"This is an awesome training series. I have a pretty good understanding of WordPress already, but this is helping me to move somewhere from intermediate to advanced user!" - Kim Lednum