In Part One of this article on ways to grow your health web presence, we covered the following areas:
- Challenges Medical And Health Services Practitioners Face Online
- Online Opportunities For Medical Practitioners
- Improving Your Web Pages
- Ways To Improve The Content On Your Site
In Parts Two and Three, we discuss more ways to grow your health services online.
Areas covered include:
- Improve Web Traffic With WordPress
- Tips For Generating New Leads & Enquiries Using WordPress-Based Applications
- Improve Search Engine Optimization, Increase User Engagement And Increase Web Traffic Generation Using Plugins
For more information about WordPress plugins and themes, see the articles below:
- Using WP Plugins – The Easy Way To Extend Your Site’s Features And Functionality
- WordPress For Newbies – An Introduction To WP Themes
Note: Plugins are described in this section. WordPress themes for medical businesses are listed in Part 3.
- Ways Of Improving Web Traffic With WordPress
- Tips For Generating More Leads & Enquiries Using WordPress-Based Applications
- Improving Search Engine Optimization, Improve User Engagement And Increase Web Traffic Generation With Plugins
- WordPress Plugins
- Booking Calendar
- Event Espresso – Event Manager & Registration Plugin For WordPress
- Calculator Pro Calculators
- Calculated Fields Form
- Weight Loss Tracker
- Simple BMI Calculator
- Drug Interaction Data Plugin
- PubMed Posts
- MJM Clinic
- Trend MD
- WP Nutrition Facts
- WP Ultimate Recipe
- Awesome Fitness Testimonials
- Exercise Images
- WordPress Plugins
Ways Of Improving Web Traffic With WordPress
Your web traffic is vital to your online business growth. This section explores ways to improve search engine optimization, improve user engagement and increase web traffic to your health site generation with plugins.
Optimizing Your Website For Search Engines With WordPress
There are loads of ways WordPress can help to improve SEO:
- Search Engine-Friendly URLs – configure the permalinks to create search engine-optimized web addresses for your content posts.
- Tags – Choose the keywords that you want search engines to index your article pages (posts) for.
- Categories – Add search engine-friendly categories for keeping your content organized and easy to find.
- Excerpts – WordPress lets you compose an excerpt that will display to search engine users.
- Images – title images with keywords for improved search engine results.
- Content Linking – WordPress provides a built-in feature that allows you to easily link your content to other posts
- Pinging – Set up your WordPress site to automatically notify (ping) other sites and directories as soon as a new post is published on your website.
WordPress Plugins That Can Improve SEO, Increase User Engagement And Generate More Web Traffic
As well as the built-in features of WordPress, there are various plugins that improve your health website’s SEO, increase engagement and drive more visitors to your site.
Here are some plugins you can use to improve your site’s search engine optimization:
- Yoast SEO – WordPress SEO plugin
- Google XML Sitemaps – WordPress XML sitemap plugin
- WP Tree – WordPress site map plugin
(A plugin like Yoast SEO (previously called WordPress SEO by Yoast) can improve your website’s SEO)
Other things you can do to improve your website’s SEO, increase user engagement and drive more web traffic to your business are to add a forum, newsletters, comments, and social sharing features. Here are some more plugins that can help (many of the plugins described below are also free):
- BuddyPress – This plugin can be used to set up and run a social community on your website, with member profiles, user groups, messaging, activity streams, and more.
- bbPress – This plugin allows you to set up a discussion forum on your site.
- E-Newsletter – Use E-Newsletter to send email newsletters, track results and manage subscribers from your WP dashboard.
- Disqus – Disqus lets you power discussions and increases engagement on your website or blog.
- Monarch – Use this WordPress plugin to add social sharing features on your website.
(You can easily add social sharing to your website using free or inexpensive plugins)
Tips For Generating More Leads & Enquiries Using WordPress-Based Applications
Let’s now take a look at how to improve sales and generate leads and enquiries online.
Provide A Newsletter
Providing an email newsletter is an excellent way to build a list of subscribers. Adding newsletters] provides many benefits, like:
- Drives targeted traffic
- Keeps readers from forgetting about you
- Keeps readers updated
- Provides you with a targeted marketing channel
- Allows you to provide special products or services to a select audience
- Provides new opportunities for increasing user interaction
- Provides you with other ways for your content to be shared online with others
An effective strategy for enticing visitors to become subscribers is to provide high value content and offer users a free gift in exchange for their details. This can be a time-saving guide, tips for improving health and diet, access to health tools, free trials, access to subscriber-only content, contests, etc.
Adding A Contact Form
Contact forms provide an easy and simple way for prospective clients to contact you. Users can report problems, ask questions to specific departments, request a quote, and more.
A contact form provides a number of benefits and advantages including:
- Reduces spam
- Automated response
- Gives you control over what gets sent to you
- Allows you to keep your email address private
- Can be added to any page or post
- Looks professional
- Convenient for site visitors
A popular contact form plugin for WordPress is Contact Form 7.
(Contact Form 7 WP Plugin)
This plugin lets you insert and manage multiple contact forms, customize your forms and the email contents, add fields, and more.
Supports international languages, Ajax-powered submitting, CAPTCHA, spam filtering and so on.
Something to consider if you want to set up a website for a medical practice is to add sections to your contact form so users can select which section of the center they want to reach. This ensures that visitors’ requests reach the right destination.
Adding A Map
Adding a map to your website helps your visitors and customers find you.
Inserting maps, such as Google Maps, into your website also provides visitors with a number of benefits, such as:
- A map improves local SEO
- Visitors can easily find you
- Show location of events
(A map helps your visitors and clients find you)
Popular Google Maps plugins for WordPress include:
- Google Maps
- Advanced Google Maps Plugin for WordPress
- WP Google Maps
- Comprehensive Google Map Plugin
Improving Search Engine Optimization, Improve User Engagement And Increase Web Traffic Generation With Plugins
WordPress makes available a number of plugins you can add to your medical or health site that will immediately make available a range of practical tools for users. Here are just some of these:
(Booking Calendar WordPress Plugin)
This plugin allows you to add online booking services to your site. Booking Calendar has an intuitive and user-friendly interface. It is suitable for a range medical and health consulting uses, such as dental practices, surgeons, alternative therapists, booking yoga classes, etc.
(Booking Calendar WP Plugin – Overview)
The plugin works right out of the box. Your website visitors can check the availability of services you offer and book appointments quickly and easily. Administrators and visitors receive email notifications. Booking Calendar is also widget-ready, and offers multi-language support. A premium version of this plugin is also available and includes many more features and functionalities.
Go here for more info:
(Manage Event Registrations Automatically Using Event Espresso For WP)
If your business involves running medical or health seminars, then you need a plugin like Event Espresso.
The Event Espresso online event registration software allows you to easily schedule an event and start accepting registrations literally in minutes
Event Espresso is a versatile and feature-packed software that gives you complete control over your event registration management process.
If you want to learn more about the benefits and features of using Event Espresso, refer to this article:
(Calculator Pro Calculators Plugin)
Calculator Pro is a free collection of over 400 calculators. You can embed these into your posts, pages, or sidebars using shortcodes. It also supports internationalization
Note: Most of them aren’t specifically designed for medical or health usage, but there are several you can include in your site, including the following:
- Body Statistics – e.g. BMR Calculator, Carbohydrate Calculator, GFR (Glomerular Filtration Rate) Calculator, Metric BMR Calculator, Protein Calculator, etc.
- Calorie – e.g. Daily Calorie Calculator, kJ to Calorie Calculator, Calories Burned By Heart Rate Calculator, etc.
- Fitness Tests – e.g. Coopers 12 Minute Run Test Calculator, Bruce Treadmill Test Calculator, etc.
- Miscellaneous – e.g. Bike Size Calculator, Blood Donation Calculator, Due Date Calculator, Sobriety Calculator, etc.
- Nutrition – e.g. Carbohydrate Calculator, Creatine Calculator, etc.
- Weight – e.g. Ideal Weight Calculator, Weight Loss Percentage Calculator, etc.
To learn more about using this WordPress plugin, visit this website:
(Calculated Fields Form Plugin)
Calculated Fields Form lets you create forms that perform single and complex calculations, including:
- Health & Fitness Calculators
- Ideal Weight Calculator
- Pregnancy Calculator
- Calorie Calculator
- And more
The developers of this plugin also provide a premium version with a ton of additional features and functionalities.
Go here for more information:
(Weight Loss Tracker Plugin For WordPress)
This simple plugin lets logged-in users record their weight on given dates. The data is then displayed in a graph and table.
(Weight Loss Tracker Plugin – Graph)
The plugin allows users to input target weights and supports the following weight formats: Metric (Kg), Imperial – Stones & Pounds, Imperial – Pounds only.
Visit the plugin site to learn more about this WordPress plugin:
(Simple BMI Calculator WordPress Plugin)
Simple BMI Calculator lets you add a widget to your sidebar that can be configured and customized to match your theme.
As well as Simple BMI Calculator, there are other plugins you can look at that perform similar functions:
- BMI BMR Calculator – A BMI and Basal Metabolic Rate calculator that saves calculation data for logged-in users and gives an overview to the trainer (admin).
- BMI / IMC Calculator – A simple calculator that displays BMI
- Calotor Calorie Counter – Lets visitors figure out their basal metabolic rate, based on their age, sex and weight.
- And more
Go here for more info:
(Drug Interaction Data Plugin For WordPress)
Drug Interaction Data Plugin for WordPress will retrieve and display drug information, including what the drug is used to treat and what other medications the drug is known to interact with.
(Drug Interaction Data WordPress Plugin – Information Screen)
Information about drugs can be displayed inside your pages and posts, or as a widget on your sidebar menu. The plugin loads the drug and pharmaceutical data from the U.S. National Library of Medicine and the U.S. National Institutes of Health and converts common names of drugs to the standardized RxNorm name as defined by the U.S. National Library of Medicine.
Go here for more info:
PubMed Posts adds a dashboard widget that lets you add posts from PubMed articles, as well as a search function that helps visitors find posts with specific article data. An editor that lets you change the layout of data in the post content is also included.
PubMed comprises more than 25 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science journals, and online books.
(MJM Clinic Plugin For WordPress)
MJM Clinic can be used for medical and health care related websites. It lets you add service pages with booking forms, locations, provide information on symptoms and health conditions, create case studies, link indication tags to services and conditions, etc.
Treato WordPress plugin lets you embed the Treato healthcare search engine into your WordPress sidebar so you and your site visitors can search drugs and read what patients are saying about different drugs.
Treato gathers and analyzes experiences sourced directly from patients written in online forums and blog posts, then aggregates the posts to generate useful insights about users’ medications, diseases and symptoms. Users gain insight about the side effects of over 26,500 medications, drug comparisons across 14,000+ medical conditions, which drugs people feel are working, and more, from over 2 billion collected posts.
(HealthTap WordPress Plugin)
HealthTap Concierge allows visitors to consult with real doctors who specialize in a given health topic via HD video or text chat from any mobile device, computer, or smartwatch.
With the plugin installed, users can type in a health question and based upon their location and type of question, they will receive a list of doctors in their geographic area who specialize in that particular topic. They can then select a doctor, chat using text or video, or send the doctor a question.
Go here for more information:
TrendMD will add the TrendMD recommendations widget to your website. The TrendMD recommendations widget is used by scholarly publishers to increase their readership and revenue by allowing people to discover, cite or read interesting scholarly content from your journals or websites through personalized recommendations.
To learn more about this WordPress plugin, visit the plugin site:
(WP Nutrition Facts – WordPress Plugin)
This simple plugin lets you insert a nutrition facts table into your pages and posts, allowing your visitors to learn about the nutrient content of food in a standardized format and make more informed food choices.
(WP Nutrition Facts – Nutritional Facts Label Creation)
WP Nutrition Facts uses the Canadian Food Inspection (CFIA) nutrition labelling regulations.
To learn more about using this plugin, visit this website:
(WP Ultimate Recipe Plugin)
If you own a health-related business that provides diet or healthy eating information, a great way to add engaging content to your site is to publish recipes.
A plugin like WP Ultimate Recipe lets you easily add delicious and healthy on your site.
Other recipe plugins for WordPress include:
- Recipe Card – Create recipes that your site visitors can print, save and review.
- EasyRecipe – Lets you easily add recipes to your site with features like cut & paste, plain text recipe auto conversion, Google Recipe View formatting and preview button, automatic ratings and conversion from other recipe plugins.
- ZipList Recipes – You can easily format recipe text and add images. Includes additional SEO and Google Recipe View formatting features.
- And many more.
To learn more about using this plugin, visit the plugin site:
(Awesome Fitness Testimonials Plugin For WordPress)
The Awesome Fitness Testimonials plugin allows you to add fitness & wellness testimonials, reviews and case studies to your website.
(Exercise Images by Everkinetic)
Exercise Images by Everkinetic lets you display a database of exercise diagrams on your health and fitness-related site.
(Exercise Images by Everkinetic WordPress Plugin – Database)
In part 3, we will look at WordPress themes that are suitable for medical businesses.
This is the end of section two.
Click here to continue:
"This is AMAZING! I had learnt about how to use WordPress previously, but this covers absolutely everything and more!! Incredible value! Thank you!" - Monique, Warrior Forum
Disclaimer: We have no direct association with WordPress, Automattic, or any products discussed on this site. We may derive affiliate commissions or financial benefits from the purchase of products advertised on our website. All images remain the copyright of their respective owners, comply with all license terms and agreements of use to the best of our knowledge and are used solely for training and illustrative purposes.
Have you found this article useful? If so, please take a moment to use the social links below and share this tutorial with anyone thinking of starting a business online.