In Part One of this step-by-step article on ways to improve your medical or health business web presence, we provided many practical tips and suggestions on the following topics:
- Online Challenges For Medical Businesses
- Opportunities For Health And Medical Services Practitioners In The Online Economy
- Basic Pages
- Ways To Improve Your Content
In Parts Two and Three, we discuss more ways to grow your medical or health business online.
Areas covered include:
- Ways Of Improving Web Traffic
- Tips For Generating Leads & Enquiries Using WordPress-Based Applications
- WordPress Plugins That Can Help To Improve SEO, Increase User Engagement And Increase Traffic Generation
For more information about WordPress plugins and themes, see the articles below:
Note: Plugins are described in this section. Health and medical themes are listed in Part 3.
- Grow Your Medical Services And Health-Related Website – WordPress Plugins For Improving SEO, Increasing User Engagement And Web Traffic Generation
- Generating New Leads & Enquiries Using WordPress-Based Tools
- WordPress Plugins That Can Improve Search Engine Optimization, Improve User Engagement And Increase Web Traffic Generation
- Health Or Medical Plugins For WordPress
Grow Your Medical Services And Health-Related Website – WordPress Plugins For Improving SEO, Increasing User Engagement And Web Traffic Generation
Your web traffic is a vital part of your business growth. In this section we explore ways to help you improve your web traffic.
Optimize Your Website For Search Engines
There are so many ways that WordPress helps improve your health or medical-related website’s SEO:
- URLs – WordPress lets you set the permalinks to create search engine-optimized URLS for your posts.
- Post Tags – Choose the keywords that you want your article pages to be indexed for in the search engines.
- Categories – Add categories for keeping your content organized and easy to find.
- Excerpts – Create descriptions for your posts that search engines will display.
- Images – title images used in your content with keywords for improved search results.
- Internal Linking – WordPress provides a built-in feature that allows you to easily create internal links
- Post Notification – Configure your site to automatically notify other sites and directories the moment a new post is published on your website.
WordPress Plugins That Can Help To Improve SEO, Increase User Engagement And Increase Web Traffic Generation
In addition to the built-in features of WordPress, the WP community makes available also a number of plugins that will improve SEO, increase engagement and drive more traffic to your site.
For example, you can install the plugins below to improve your SEO:
- All in One SEO – WordPress SEO plugin
- Google XML Sitemaps – WordPress XML sitemap plugin
- Page-List – WordPress site map plugin (for visitors)
(Use a plugin like Yoast SEO to improve your SEO)
Other things you can do to improve SEO, increase user engagement and drive more web traffic to your site are to add a forum, newsletters, commenting, and social features. Here are some more WordPress plugins that can help (many of the plugins listed below can be downloaded at no cost):
- BuddyPress – Use this free WordPress plugin to set up and run your own online social community on WordPress.
- bbPress – Run a community forum on your WordPress website.
- E-Newsletter – Use this plugin to send professional email newsletters, track results and manage subscribers from your WordPress site.
- Disqus – Power discussions and helps to increase user engagement on your site.
- Floating Social – This WordPress plugin lets you add social sharing features and buttons to your site.
(WordPress users can easily add social sharing features to their website with free or inexpensive plugins)
Generating New Leads & Enquiries Using WordPress-Based Tools
Let’s discuss now how to improve your sales and generate more leads and enquiries.
Providing An Email Newsletter
Providing a newsletter is an excellent way to build a subscriber list. It] provides a number of benefits, like:
- Sends targeted traffic to your site
- Keeps your business at the forefront of your reader’s minds
- Provides useful updates
- Provides you with a highly targeted marketing channel
- Allows you to provide special products or services to a select audience
- Provides new opportunities for improving user interaction
- Provides you with another way for subscribers to share your content
A proven way to attract newsletter subscribers is to provide high value information and offer users free gifts or bonus items in exchange for their personal details. This could be a time-saving guide, checklists for improving health, fitness and well-being, access to medical calculators, discount coupons, membership access to courses, podcasts, etc.
Contact forms provide an easy and simple way for readers to contact you. Contact forms also let readers provide feedback, ask questions to specific departments, request a quote, send suggestions and more.
Contact forms provide several benefits including:
- Reducing spam
- Set up automated responses
- Giving you control over what gets sent to you
- You can keep your email address private
- They can be added to any post or page
- Looks professional
- Convenience for users
A popular WordPress contact form plugin is Contact Form 7.
(Contact Form 7 Plugin For WordPress)
Contact form 7 is a free plugin that lets you insert and manage multiple contact forms, customize the form and the email contents, add fields, and more.
Supports international languages, Ajax-powered submitting, CAPTCHA, Akismet spam filtering and so on.
Something to consider if you want to set up a website for a clinic or medical center is adding sections to your contact form so prospects can select which practitioner they want to contact. This will help get their message to the correct recipient.
Adding maps to your site helps your visitors and clients find you.
Inserting maps, such as Google Maps, into your website also provides users with a number of benefits, such as:
- A map improves local SEO
- Visitors can easily find you
- Shows location of events
(Adding maps to your website helps your visitors and clients find you)
Here are some plugins that let you embed, customize and display Google maps on your WordPress site:
- Google Maps
- Advanced Google Maps Plugin for WordPress
- WP Google Maps
- Comprehensive Google Map Plugin
WordPress Plugins That Can Improve Search Engine Optimization, Improve User Engagement And Increase Web Traffic Generation
Health Or Medical Plugins For WordPress
WordPress provides a number of plugins you can add to your medical site that will immediately add a range of functional tools for users. Here are just some of these:
The Booking Calendar plugin lets you add appointment bookings to your site. It is well supported and has an intuitive and user-friendly interface. It is highly suitable for a wide range medical and health consulting businesses, such as dental practices, physicians, chiropractors, booking patient appointments, etc.
(Booking Calendar WordPress Plugin – Overview)
This plugin works out of the box. Your website visitors can check the availability of services and book appointments online easily. Site administrators and visitors receive email notifications. The plugin also lets you add a calendar or booking form to your site’s sidebar, and supports multiple languages. A premium plugin version is also available and includes additional features.
For more details, go here:
(Manage Event Bookings Online Using Event Espresso For WP)
If your business involves running health or medical events, then you need a plugin like Event Espresso.
The Event Espresso online event registration WP plugin allows you to easily create an event and start accepting online registrations in just a few minutes
(Event Espresso – Event Manager & Ticket Registration Software For WordPress)
Event Espresso is a flexible and feature-packed software that gives you full control of the event registration management process.
We have written a comprehensive article about Event Espresso. Go here to learn more:
(Calculator Pro Calculators WordPress Plugin)
Calculator Pro is a free collection of over 400 calculators. You can embed these into your pages, posts, or sidebars using shortcodes. The plugin supports internationalization
Most of the calculators aren’t specifically designed for health applications, but there are several you can add to your site, including:
- Body Statistics – e.g. BAI (Body Adiposity Index) Calculator, Frame Size Calculator, Lean Body Mass Calculator, Metric BMR Calculator, Protein Calculator, etc.
- Calorie – e.g. Daily Calorie Calculator, kJ to Calorie Calculator, Calories Burned Running Calculator, etc.
- Fitness Tests – e.g. Coopers 12 Minute Run Test Calculator, Treadmill Test Calculator, etc.
- Miscellaneous – e.g. Advanced One Rep Max Weight Lifting Calculator, Blood Sugar Converter Calculator, Pace Calculator, Smoking Cost Calculator, etc.
- Nutrition – e.g. Calcium Calculator, Water Intake Calculator, etc.
- Weight – e.g. BAI (Body Adiposity Index) Calculator, Weight Loss Percentage Calculator, etc.
Go here for more information:
(Calculated Fields Form – WordPress Plugin)
This plugin is great for creating dynamically calculated field forms, including:
- Health & Fitness Calculators
- Ideal Weight Calculator
- Pregnancy Calculator
- Calorie Calculators
- And more
The plugin is also available in a premium version with a ton of extra features and functionalities.
Go here to learn more about this WordPress plugin:
(Weight Loss Tracker – WordPress Plugin)
This plugin lets logged-in users record their weight periodically. The results are then displayed in a graph and table.
(Weight Loss Tracker Plugin For WordPress – User Graph)
The plugin allows users to insert target weights and supports the following weight formats: Metric (Kg), Imperial – Stones & Pounds, Imperial – Pounds only.
(Simple Body Mass Index Calculator Widget Plugin For WordPress)
Simple BMI Calculator lets you add a widget to your sidebar that can be configured and customized to match your theme.
In addition to Simple Body Mass Index Calculator, there are additional plugins you can look at to perform similar functions:
- BMI BMR Calculator – A Body Mass Index and Basal Metabolic Rate calculator that saves calculation data for logged-in users and gives an overview to the trainer.
- BMI / IMC Calculator – A simple calculator that displays your site visitor’s BMI
- Calotor Calorie Counter – Lets visitors calculate their basal metabolic rate, by inputting their age, sex and weight.
- And many more
Go here for more information:
(Drug Interaction Data – WordPress Plugin)
This plugin can be used to display drug information, including what the drugs are used to treat and what other medications the drugs are known to interact with.
(Drug Interaction Data WordPress Plugin – Results)
Information about drugs can be displayed as a widget or inside your web content. The plugin loads the drug and pharmaceutical data from the U.S. National Library of Medicine and the U.S. National Institutes of Health.
For more details, go here:
(PubMed Posts Plugin For WordPress)
PubMed Posts adds a dashboard widget that lets you publish content to your site from PubMed articles, as well as a search function that finds posts with specific data. It also includes a simple editor that lets you change the layout of your post content.
PubMed contains over 25 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, online books and life science journals.
(MJM Clinic Plugin)
This versatile plugin was designed to add functionality to clinic and health care related websites, such as service pages with booking forms, organising your services into hierarchical categories, clinic locations, patient feedback entries and more.
This plugin lets you add a sidebar widget that allows your site visitors to search a vast drug database and read what patients are saying about different drugs.
Treato collects and analyzes experiences sourced directly from patients written in forums and blog posts, then aggregates the posts to generate useful insights about users’ medications, diseases and symptoms. Users gain insight about over 14,000 medical conditions from over 2.2 billion collected posts.
HealthTap Concierge allows users to locate and book a virtual consult with real doctors via HD video or text chat from any mobile device, personal computer, or smartwatch.
With the plugin installed, your visitors can type in a health question and receive a list of doctors in their geographic area who specialize in that health topic. They can then select a doctor, chat over text or video, or send the doctor their question.
Go here to learn more about this WordPress plugin:
(Trend MD – WordPress Plugin)
The TrendMD plugin will add the TrendMD recommendations widget to your website. The TrendMD recommendations widget is used by scholarly publishers to increase their readership and revenue by allowing people to discover, read or cite scholarly content from your journals or websites through personalized recommendations.
For more details, go here:
(WP Nutrition Facts – WordPress Plugin)
WP Nutrition Facts is a free plugin for WordPress that lets you insert a nutrition facts table into your posts and pages, allowing your visitors to learn about the nutrient content of food and make more informed decisions about the food products they purchase.
(WP Nutrition Facts WP Plugin – Create Nutritional Facts Labels)
WP Nutrition Facts uses the Canadian Food Inspection (CFIA) nutrition labeling regulations.
To learn more about this plugin, visit the plugin website:
(WP Ultimate Recipe)
If you run a health-related website that provides dietary or healthy eating advice, a great way to add content that will engage your readers is to add healthy recipes.
A plugin like WP Ultimate Recipe lets you easily add healthy and delicious recipes on your site.
Other recipe plugins for WordPress include:
- Recipe Card – Create search engine optimized recipes that readers can print, save and review.
- EasyRecipe – EasyRecipe lets you easily add recipes to your site with features like cut and paste, plain text recipe auto conversion, Google Recipe View formatting and preview button, automatic ratings and conversion from other recipe plugins.
- ZipList Recipes – Easily format recipe text and add images. Includes additional SEO and Google Recipe View formatting features.
- And many more.
(Awesome Fitness Testimonials Plugin For WordPress)
Awesome Fitness Testimonials lets you add fitness and wellness testimonials, case studies and reviews, before and after photos, etc. to your website.
Go here to learn more about using this WordPress plugin:
(Exercise Images by Everkinetic)
Exercise Images by Everkinetic lets you display exercise images inside your web content.
(Exercise Images WP Plugin – Image Database)
For more details, go here:
In part 3, we take a look at health and medical WordPress themes.
This is the end of part 2.
To continue, click this link:
"I have used the tutorials to teach all of my clients and it has probably never been so easy for everyone to learn WordPress ... Now I don't need to buy all these very expensive video courses that often don't deliver what they promise." - Stefan Wendt, Internet Marketing Success Group
Disclaimer: WordPress and its related trademarks are registered trademarks of Automattic, Inc. This site is not affiliated with nor sponsored by Automattic, Inc. or the WordPress Open Source project. This site and the services and products offered on this site are not associated, affiliated, endorsed, or sponsored by WordPress, nor have they been reviewed, certified, or tested by WordPress. The owner, contributors and/or advertisers may derive financial benefit from sales of items linked to, advertised, or reviewed on this site.
Did you enjoy this tutorial? Please feel free to share this article with anyone who can benefit from WordPress using the social links below.