This article is part of a detailed article series designed to help you grow a successful business online with the WordPress platform.
For an overview of the article series, go here:
In this blog post, you will learn some statistics about WordPress that will help you understand why millions of businesses around the world choose WordPress to power their business websites and blogs and what kind of people and businesses use WordPress today.
WordPress: Impressive Facts And Statistics
The quick version:
- WordPress started as a blogging tool in 2003.
- WordPress offers users two formats: a hosted platform (WordPress.com) and as a self-hosted, downloadable software (WordPress.org).
- 22 out of every hundred new domains registered in the U.S. are for installing a new WordPress website.
- There are over sixty million installations of WordPress worldwide. This number grows significantly every day.
- WordPress powers over 30% of the internet. Over one-third of all websites worldwide are built with WordPress.
- WordPress sites around the world publish an average of 24 posts per second.
- WordPress sites receive over 22 billion monthly pageviews.
- WordPress blogs receive around 50 million comments per month.
- WordPress has been translated into over 70 languages.
- More than 60% of all websites worldwide using a content management system are built with WordPress.
- Over 37 million searches are made on Google each month for terms related to WordPress.
- The WordPress application is 100% free to download, use and modify. The WordPress application is built using an open source content management system.
- WordPress is built by volunteers. People from all around the world are at work developing and improving WordPress on an ongoing basis.
- The WordPress application is continually being updated to fix bugs and improve its ease of use and security.
- WordPress delivers content online to visitors worldwide. WordPress has been translated and localized into over seventy languages and dialects.
- The WordPress repository currently makes available thousands of free WP plugins, themes, and widgets to WordPress users.
- There is virtually no limit to what someone can do with WordPress.
WordPress CMS Market Dominance
A content management system (CMS), is a website tool for non-technical users. It is a web application designed to make it easier for non-technical website users to add, modify and manage content on their website.
WordPress started in 2003. It was originally written by Matt Mullenweg and Mike Little. WordPress is now the largest self-hosted content management system (CMS) in the world, used on millions of sites and seen by tens of millions of people every day.
WordPress is owned by Automattic.com, which currently employs around 300 people, all of whom are home-based. Despite its distributed model and so few employees, WordPress.com (the hosted version of WordPress) currently attracts more unique monthly views than Amazon, Facebook, eBay, Yahoo, and Twitter …
(WordPress.com unique visits. Source: http://automattic.com/about)
Consider the following statistics on WordPress usage:
WordPress is the world’s leading CMS platform and powers over 30% of the web …
(WP usage statistics. Source: trends.builtwith.com/cms)
In terms of CMS market share, no other platform even comes close to WordPress …
(WordPress Market Share. Source: w3techs.com)
In fact, more and more websites and blogs today are being built on WordPress.
WordPress is so popular, that even trying to keep up with statistics on WordPress is very difficult because the numbers change so frequently.
For example, at the time this article was written, here is the number of downloads of the latest WordPress version …
Note: The above figure represents only the latest version of WordPress. Around one third of all current users have not yet updated their installations to the latest release …
(WP versions currently in use. Source: https://wordpress.org/about/stats)
As this post was being written, the number of downloads has already shot up. If you were to click on the link above and visit the WordPress download counter page, you will see a much higher figure … perhaps even a newer version, as the WordPress community continually updates the software to fix security issues and bugs, and add new or improved features.
Regarding updates, WordPress has made available over 100 new software updates in its first 11 years of existence …
(Over one hundred new versions of WordPress have been released in its first 11 years)
WordPress currently releases a new updated version every 3-4 months or so …
(WordPress regularly releases new software versions named after famous Jazz musicians)
here is an interesting fact: all major WordPress version updates are typically named after Jazz music artists, eg:
- v.2.0 = Duke Ellington (December 31, 2005),
- v.2.6 = McCoy Tyner (July 15, 2008),
- v.3.2 = George Gershwin (July 4, 2011),
- v.3.7 = Count Basie (October 24, 2013),
- v.4.1 = Dinah Washington (December 18, 2014),
- etc …
Who Uses WordPress?
In a nutshell, all kinds of organizations and people use WordPress to publish content about everything and anything.
Leading corporations, business of all sizes, retail companies, celebrities, politicians, famous artists, colleges, government department sites, community organizations – even countries are using WordPress to publish web content and run their official websites …
WordPress.org Web Site Showcase
Here are just some of the many sites, companies and people who use WordPress:
- Global Brands & Corporations: Coca-Cola France, Glad, Method Products, McDonald’s Singapore, Mercedes-Benz, etc …
- Celebs, Politicians, Sports Stars, Artists & Musicians: Alanis Morissette, Narendra Modi, Prime Minister of India, Kylie Minogue, Brian Smith, Usain Bolt, Snoop Dogg, Katie Couric, Howie Mandel, Russell Brand, etc …
- Colleges & Educational Institutions: Nicholls State University, Milwaukee School of Engineering’s Bridge, UCF College of Medicine, MIT Sloan Management Review, etc.
- Magazines & Media: Fortune, New York Post, Facebook Newsroom, Enterprise Magazine, etc.
- Governments, Public Services & Community Organizations: Sweden’s Official Site, Canadian Olympic Committee, The National Art Gallery of Maldives, Official Gazette of the Republic of the Philippines, Amnesty International Korea, etc.
Earlier, we mentioned that WordPress is available as a hosted application (WordPress.com) and as a self-hosted, downloadable software (WordPress.org).
- Businesses prefer to download the self-hosted version, which can be installed in their domains and freely modified to suit their needs. In fact, most WordPress self-hosted installations are business marketing or sales purposes.
- More than half of all WordPress users use the hosted version on WordPress.com
- In 2014, WordPress blogs (blogs hosted either on WordPress.com or self-hosted WordPress sites) published on average 17 posts every second (around 1.5 million posts per day).
You can see a live map that lets you see blog post updates around the world in real-time …
WordPress (Hosted Version) – Activity Around The World
In other articles, we explain the differences between WordPress.com (hosted) vs WordPress.org (self-hosted) versions.
General WordPress Statistics
WordPress users have access to over 37,000 WordPress plugins at no cost …
(WordPress free plugins directory)
For more information about plugins see this post:
WordPress users can also download and install over 1,700 free WordPress themes …
(WordPress free themes directory)
For a detailed article about themes see this post:
Using WordPress In Other Languages
WordPress has been translated and localized into over seventy international languages in addition to English …
WordPress Searches Online
The search term “WordPress” alone receives around 2.7 million monthly searches on Google. Adding WordPress-related terms (e.g. “WP themes”, “WP plugins”, “WordPress tutorials”, etc. brings the total number of online searches for WordPress terms to more than 35 million …
(WordPress-related searches online)
If you compare searches for WordPress to other CMS platforms, WordPress is searched 5 x as much as Joomla and 9x more than Drupal.
According to WordPress’ own “State of the Word” 2014 survey, 25% of WP users who answered the survey stated that they make a full-time living off WordPress. An earlier survey conducted by WordPress (2012) also found that the median hourly rate of WordPress projects is around US$50.
You can find WordPress developers and designers for hire at freelancing sites like Upwork …
According to Upwork.com, the typical cost for WordPress jobs is around $10 – $500 …
As you can clearly see from the facts and figures presented above, there is no end in sight for how much further WordPress can continue to grow and dominate in the CMS market.
In other articles, we will address the following areas:
- Why WordPress is the best choice when you need a vehicle to grow your business online,
- Over fifty compelling reasons why you should choose WordPress for your business website or blog, including a detailed review of the benefits, features, and advantages of using the WordPress platform,
- Ways to automate your business marketing with WordPress,
- How to drive more visitors, increase conversions, and how to sell more products and services with WordPress.
- Plus, we’ll be publishing new ”how to” tutorials and tips of how to use WordPress and expand your business online, and save thousands of dollars on web development and website design costs.
Subscribe below & receive 101+ useful WordPress tips that will help grow your business online faster ...
The information for this post was sourced from various locations around the web, including the following sites:
"Wow! I never knew there's so much to learn about WordPress! I bought one of the WordPress for Dummies three years ago, such authors need to be on this course!" - Rich Law, Create A Blog Now