This blog post is part of a detailed multi-part article series designed to help you grow a successful business online using the WordPress platform.
For more information about of the article series, see this post:
In this article, you will learn a number of surprising WordPress statistics that will help you understand why millions of businesses around the world use WordPress to power their business websites and what kind of businesses use WordPress today.
WordPress: Usage And Market Share
A brief summary:
- WordPress began as a blogging tool in 2003.
- WordPress offers users the choice of two formats: a hosted application (WordPress.com) and as a self-hosted, downloadable software (WordPress.org).
- 22 out of every hundred new domains registered in the U.S. are for installing a new WordPress website.
- There are well over 60 million installations of WordPress. This number grows everyday.
- WordPress powers over 30% of the internet. Over one-third of all websites worldwide are built with WordPress.
- WordPress sites around the world publish an average of 24 posts per second.
- WordPress sites receive over 22 billion monthly pageviews.
- WordPress blogs receive around 50 million comments per month.
- WordPress has been translated into over 70 languages.
- More than 60% of all websites that use a content management system are built with WordPress.
- Over 37 million searches are made on Google each month for terms related to WordPress.
- The WordPress application is completely free to download, use and modify. The WordPress application is distributed under an open source content management system.
- WordPress is worked on by volunteers. Thousands of people from all around the world are at work developing and improving the WordPress software on an ongoing basis.
- The WordPress core program is continually being updated to address bugs and improve both its usage and security.
- WordPress can deliver your content online to visitors worldwide. WordPress has been translated and localized into over seventy languages.
- WordPress currently makes available thousands of free WP plugins, themes, and widgets to WordPress users.
- There is virtually no limit to what can be built with WordPress.
WordPress CMS Usage
In simple terms, a content management system (CMS), is a website maintenance tool for non-technical users. It is a web application designed to make it easy for non-technical website users to add, edit and manage content on their site.
WordPress started in 2003. It was originally written by Matt Mullenweg and Mike Little. Since then, it has grown to become the most popular self-hosted content management system (CMS) in the world, used on millions of websites and accessed by tens of millions of people every day.
WordPress is owned by Automattic.com, which currently employs around 300 people, all of whom are home-based. Despite its distributed model and having so few employees, WordPress.com (the hosted version of the software) currently attracts more unique monthly views than Facebook, Amazon, Yahoo, eBay, and Twitter …
(WordPress [hosted] unique monthly visitors. Source: Automattic.com)
Consider the following stats on WordPress:
WordPress is the world’s leading CMS platform and powers over 30% of the web …
(WordPress CMS usage stats. Source: trends.builtwith.com/cms)
In terms of CMS dominance, no other platform even comes close to WordPress …
(WordPress Market Share. Source: w3techs.com)
In fact, more and more sites are powered by WordPress.
WordPress is so popular, that keeping up with the latest statistics on WordPress is quite difficult because the numbers change so often.
For example, at the time this post was written, this is the number of downloads of the latest WordPress version …
Note: The above figures represents only the most recent version of WordPress. Around one third of all current users have not yet updated their installations to the latest release …
(WordPress versions in current use. Source: https://wordpress.org/about/stats)
Even as this post was being written, the number of downloads has already shot up. If you were to click on the link above and visit the WordPress download counter site, you will see a significantly higher download number … perhaps even a newer version, as the WordPress development team continually updates the software to fix security issues and bugs, and add new or improved features.
Regarding updates, WordPress has released over one hundred new update versions since 2003 …
(Over one hundred new versions of WordPress have been released since 2003)
WordPress currently releases a new software version every 3-4 months …
(WordPress regularly releases new software versions named after famous Jazz musicians)
here is an interesting fact: all major WordPress releases have a tradition of being named after Jazz music artists, eg:
- v.2.0 = Duke Ellington (December 31, 2005),
- v.2.3 = Dexter Gordon (September 24, 2007),
- v.3.1 = Django Reinhardt (February 23, 2011),
- v.3.4 = Grant Green (June 13, 2012),
- v.3.8 = Charlie Parker (December 12, 2013),
- etc …
Who Is Using WordPress
A better question is who isn’t using WordPress nowadays? All different kinds of enterprises and people are using WordPress to publish content about everything under the sun.
Popular brands, businesses, technology companies, celebrities, politicians, famous musicians, universities, government department sites, not-for-profits – even countries are using WordPress to publish web content and run their official websites and blogs …
WordPress Web Site Showcase
Here are just some of the growing number of sites, institutions and people using WordPress:
- Businesses & Companies: Google Ventures, Public Storage Canada, Groupe Renault, Group Bouygues, Hyatt Blog, etc …
- Celebs, Politicians, Sports Stars, Actors & Musicians: Garth Brooks, Ariana Grande, Pixies, Justin Bieber, Dallas Mavericks, The Rolling Stones, Mötley Crüe, Howie Mandel, Jason Mraz, etc …
- Universities & Educational Institutions: University of Manitoba Today, International Relations Online at American University, UCF College of Medicine, Salve Regina University, etc.
- Magazines & News Media: Thrive Magazine, The Australian, IMC TV, Dusty Cartridge, etc.
- Governments, Public Services & Community Organizations: Sweden’s Official Site, Canadian Olympic Committee, Maryland National Road Association, CURE International, Rotary Means Business – Rotary Club, etc.
Earlier, we mentioned that WordPress is available as a hosted platform (WordPress.com) and as a self-hosted, downloadable software (WordPress.org).
- Businesses clearly prefer the self-hosted version, which can be installed on their own domain names and customized to suit their needs. In fact, most WordPress self-hosted installations are used for business activities.
- More than half of all WordPress users use the hosted version on WordPress.com
- In 2014, WordPress blogs (blogs hosted either on WordPress.com or self-hosted WordPress sites) published on average 17 new blog posts every second (around 1.5 million posts per day).
WordPress provides a live map showing the latest user activity across its hosted service …
WordPress (Hosted Version) – Live Users WorldWide
In later tutorials, we look at the main differences between WordPress.com (hosted) and WordPress.org (self-hosted) versions.
Additional Statistics About WordPress
WordPress users can download and install over 37,000 WP plugins at no cost from the WordPress plugin directory …
(WordPress.org free plugins repository)
We have published a comprehensive article about WP plugins here:
WordPress users can also download and install over 1,700 free themes …
(WordPress.org theme repository)
We have written a comprehensive article about WordPress themes here:
WordPress has been translated and localized into over 70 languages in addition to English …
(WP language translations)
WordPress Searches Online
The search term “WordPress” alone receives around 2.7 million searches per month on Google. Adding WordPress-related terms (e.g. “WP themes”, “WordPress plugins”, ”learn WordPress”, etc. brings the total number of searches online for WordPress terms to more than 30 million …
(WordPress searches online)
If you compare searches for WordPress to other CMS platforms, WordPress is searched online five times more than Joomla and 9x more than Drupal.
According to WordPress’ own “State of the Word” 2014 survey, a quarter of 33,000 WP users who participated in the survey stated that they make a full-time living off WordPress. An earlier survey conducted by WordPress (2012) also found that the median hourly rate of WordPress projects is around US$50.
You can find WordPress developers and designers for hire at freelancing sites like Upwork.com …
According to Upwork.com, the typical job cost ranges for WordPress are between $10 – $500 …
As you can see, there is no end in sight for how much further WordPress can continue to dominate the CMS market.
In other blog posts, we will address the following areas in detail:
- Why WordPress is an ideal platform for growing your small business online,
- Over 50 compelling reasons why you should choose WordPress for your website or blog, including a comprehensive breakdown of the unique benefits, features, and advantages of using WordPress,
- How to automate your business marketing with WordPress,
- How to drive more visitors, increase conversions, and how to sell more products and services with WordPress.
- Plus, we’ll provide new step-by-step tutorials and examples of how to use WordPress and expand your business presence online, while also saving thousands of dollars on web development and web design costs.
Subscribe below & receive 101+ useful WordPress tips that will help grow your business online faster ...
The information for this article was sourced from various locations around the web, including the following sites:
"I am beyond impressed with what you have put together. I can tell that you put a ton of hard work into building what you have. You have the absolute best content on WordPress I have ever seen!" - Robert T. Jillie