Are you missing out on business because of a poorly-designed site? No matter how professional your company is, a poorly-constructed web site could end up losing you many new customers.
In a world where attractive design sells, your website’s design can be important to the success of your business. Your website may be the first thing that a web visitor sees and this could influence their purchasing decision.
Think about how most people do research about products nowadays. Even if we’re only doing preliminary research, we still turn to our mobile phone and go browse a site first before purchasing goods in-store or online.
Now, put yourself in your visitor’s shoes. How does your web site appear to others? Does your site invite people to approach and explore things further, or does it make people confused and unsure about where to go next?
What customers see “above the fold” (i.e. what you first see in your screen) is just the tip of the iceberg. There are so many other things than can affect your visitors’ thoughts and their purchasing decisions.
Can WordPress Help You Fix A Poorly-Constructed Website?
Let’s review some of the main design problems that can affect your site:
Web Design Issues
Some common design problems that can impact a visitor’s perception about your website include the following:
- Color – Bad color schemes can affect your results. This also applies to your choice of text and background color. There are tools that can help you choose web colors correctly and even safe web color tools you can use to ensure that the palettes you want to use will display correctly across different mediums. If in doubt, seek the services of a web design professional.
- Design Elements – Web pages that contain aesthetically unexciting, outdated or just plain hard to read fonts can easily turn users off your site. Visitors can also be affected by careless inconsistencies in the design elements or excessive use of design elements.
- Layout – How you structure your content can significantly impact how visitors interact with your site. Layout considerations also include how your navigational items, links, and other useful elements are placed, where menus are positioned on your site, page columns, etc ….
- Responsiveness – As websites are now viewed using various devices with different-sized screens, it’s vitally important that your web design be responsive. If your web pages do not resize automatically to work on all devices, browsers, and platforms, you will lose potential business opportunities.
Typical functionality issues include the following:
- Persistent errors – A huge turn-off for visitors is landing on a page where some hyperlinks don’t work, videos don’t play and graphics are missing. Persistent site errors are not acceptable, especially when you are trying to come across as a professional and reliable company. Your website reflects your organization. It’s important therefore, to ensure that all your links, videos, and images remain working all the time. In some cases, these problems could be caused by factors such as your web hosting, or they may even be unbeknownst to you, but it’s important to ensure that you’re consistently proactive and that you attend to problems immediately.
- Feature limitations – If your website offers users certain features and functionalities, then make sure that these features are not limited. For example, if you would like to sell goods or services online, make sure that you provide users with full e-commerce features that allow them to easily select and add products to a cart, use discounts, complete purchases with a credit card or PayPal, receive notifications, invoices, and confirmations, etc.
Poor Web User Experience
Invariably, where your business suffers most noticeably because of a poorly-constructed site is the “user experience”.
An unpleasant user experience can leave a bad taste in users mouths and lead them to share their disappointment on social sites, user forums, review sites, comments, etc ….
Typical problems that can cause a bad user experience include the following:
- Ease Of Use – Your site should be easy to use and intuitive to navigate around in. Your product information should be easy to locate. Your customers want user-friendly features and they want to find what they are looking for as quickly and as effortlessly as possible. Make your content searchable and if you plan to add downloadable content to your site (e.g. spreadsheets), make sure that users are given instructions on how to download and access your information.
- Organized – If your web site isn’t cleanly organized and user-friendly, you run the risk of losing not only potential clients but also current clients. Providing features like descriptive links, product and service categories and well-organized areas where topic-related content is grouped or linked together provides users with an enjoyable user experience.
- Stimulating Site – Users stay longer on websites that are user friendly, easy to navigate, and that are eye-catching and stimulating. To accomplish this you need a balance between attractive, modern web design and compelling website copy that engages your visitors. For example, draw attention to hyperlinks that direct users to your product pages with eye-popping photos or illustrations beside well-written product descriptions. This is very effective and will help you improve not only the user experience on your website, but also improve your sales and conversions.
- Engaging Site – Another aspect that helps customers decide to stay longer on your site is to provide interactive features that engage your visitors, such as features that let users comment on, share, like, download and recommend your content, interact with your staff via a responsive helpdesk, support forum, live chat, schedule appointments, make reservations, etc … You also want users to be able to navigate quickly through your website and access your data without waiting around for content to load, so having your site optimized for page loading speed is important.
(Web design issues)
As the above shows, there are many areas that can contribute to a poor user experience and impact your business results online. If your website isn’t designed in a user-friendly way, you run the risk of not only losing potential paying customers but also some of current clients as well.
Now … what if you have arrived on this website because you currently have an existing website with design issues that you feel are affecting your business?
First, understand that getting a website overhaul can take time and can also be fairly costly depending on the problem and what kind of site you currently have, especially if it requires extensive web code editing.
If you are currently considering having a new website built or redeveloping an existing site, then we suggest that you seriously consider using WordPress.
(WordPress can improve your website results!)
We plan to share more in-depth articles about the benefits and advantages of WordPress on this site, but here are just some key points to keep in mind about why you should seriously choose WordPress:
WP Themes – Unique Web Design Features
WordPress themes are unique website design templates that allow you to immediately customize the look of your website without affecting the website’s content or changing any core site functionality.
There are thousands of professionally designed WP themes available that you can download and install on your site. Many of these are either freely available, or they are extremely well priced, saving you thousands of dollars on the cost of web design.
Most themes for WordPress are responsive and provide site owners with customizable features for changing your website’s design such as color, elements like headers, footers, menus and styles, layouts and more. Themes are just one of the many things that make WordPress such a powerful tool for helping you create a design for your website that ultimately helps your business.
Learn about WordPress themes here:
WP Plugins – Modular Features
Another compelling reason to build your site using WordPress is that WordPress provides users with scalable functionality through add-on applications called “plugins.”
Plugins, like themes, integrate with your site to provide you with almost unlimited new features.
Earlier in this article we talked about areas like subpar functionality and feature limitations as part of the reason why a poorly built web site can end up costing you business.
WP plugins can help you overcome these issues quite easily and inexpensively. If there is a feature that needs to be in your site, just install a plugin that will help you get what you need done.
Need a plugin that will let you know about any issues on your site like links not working, videos not streaming, images that aren’t displaying or even tell you if your entire site has gone down? No problems … there are plugins that can help you fix that, or let you know about issues so you can take immediate corrective action!
Need a plugin that will transform your site into an online store or provide you with a complete e-commerce system? Again, no problem! There are several plugins that will help you sell products on your site and provide your users with full e-commerce functionality that allow them to choose and add products to a cart, apply coupons, purchase with credit card or PayPal, receive notifications, invoices and confirmations, etc.
And just like themes, there are literally tens of thousands of fantastic WP plugins that can be easily downloaded at $0 cost, or are extremely well priced and will save you thousands of dollars on the cost of website development.
You can learn more about plugins here:
WordPress – An Engaging User Experience
In addition to being able to correct problems caused by a poorly-constructed web site, WordPress can also help you give your visitors a great user experience.
WordPress provides beautifully-designed and visually-exciting themes that cover all kinds of uses and feature-rich plugins that allow customers to connect, engage and interact with you. With the right combination of a WordPress-driven site, WordPress themes, plugins and great content, you can create a rich and enhanced user experience that will keep your visitors coming back again and again.
As stated earlier, consumers nowadays will do research online before they make a purchasing decision. If your website isn’t designed to provide your visitors with a rich and engaging user experience, your prospective buyers will not return and simply move on to another business with a better website or better user experience.
Hopefully, now you have a better understanding of problems that can affect your website and how WordPress can help you expand your business business online. To learn more about the benefits of using WordPress please see other posts we have published on this site.
"Wow! I never knew there's so much to learn about WordPress! I bought one of the WordPress for Dummies three years ago, such authors need to be on this course!" - Rich Law, Create A Blog Now