Are you losing business because of poor web design? A poorly-designed website can end up costing you prospective buyers and cause more problems than you can imagine.
In a world where aesthetic principles matter, how your web site looks can be very important to your business success. Your website may be the first thing that your web visitor sees and this could affect their purchasing decision.
Think about how you research products and services nowadays. Even if it’s only for preliminary research, we will instinctively jump online and go visit a web site first before purchasing something in-store or online.
Now, put yourself in your prospect’s position. How does your web presence appear to visitors? Does your site invite people to come and explore things further, or does it make them hesitant and cautious about where to go next?
What customers see “above the fold” (i.e. what you first see on your screen) is only the tip of the iceberg. There is so much more than can influence your web visitors’ experience and their purchasing decisions.
Can WordPress Help You Fix Your Poorly-Built Web Site?
Here are just some of the main design issues that can affect your web site:
Site Design Problems
Some common design problems that can influence your user’s perception about your website include:
- Color – Clashing color combinations affect your results. This also applies to text and background color. There are ways to pick web colors correctly and even safe web colors to help make sure that the colors you use will display predictably across different mediums. If in doubt, consult a web design professional.
- Design Elements – Pages that contain aesthetically unattractive, outdated or just plain ugly images can result in users quickly losing interest in off your website. Visitors can also be affected by design inconsistencies or overpowering use of design elements.
- Layout – How you structure your content can impact how visitors navigate around your site. Layout considerations also include where your navigation menus, links, and other useful elements are used, where menus are positioned on your site, content columns, etc ….
- Responsiveness – Since business information is now accessed by a range of devices with different-sized browsers, it’s vitally important that the design of your website be fully responsive. If your web pages do not resize automatically to work on all devices, browsers, and platforms, you could experience business losses.
Web Site Functionality Problems
Some of the most common functionality problems include:
- Persistent site errors – A huge turn-off for visitors is arriving on a page where some hyperlinks don’t work, videos can’t play and graphics are missing. Subpar functionality is no longer acceptable in any website, especially when your aim is to come across as a professional and reliable business. Your website is a reflection of your business. It’s important to ensure that all your links, videos, and images are running smoothly at all times. In some cases, problems are related to things such as your hosting, or you may not even be aware of it, but it’s important to make sure that remain proactive and that you get problems fixed as soon as possible.
- Feature limitations – If your site offers visitors certain functionality, then make sure that these functionalities are not limited. For example, if you would like to sell products on your site, make sure that you provide users with full e-commerce functionality that allow them to easily select and add items to a shopping cart, enter discounts, complete their transactions using a credit card or PayPal, receive notifications, invoices, and confirmations, etc.
Poor User Experience
Normally, where your business suffers most noticeably due to a poorly-constructed web site is the “user experience”.
An unsatisfactory user experience can leave a bad taste in visitors’ mouths and lead to sharing their frustrations on social media, forums, review sites, commenting sections, etc ….
Here are some of the most common issues that can create a poor user experience:
- Ease Of Use – Your website should be easy to use and effortless to navigate. Your service information should not be hard to find. Your prospective clients want user-friendly features and they want to find things as quickly and as effortlessly as possible. Make your content searchable and if you plan to add downloadable information to your site (e.g. videos), make sure that visitors are given instructions on how to download and access your files.
- Organization – If your site isn’t organized and user-friendly, you run the risk of losing not only prospective clients but also current customers. Having features like search engine-friendly links, product and service categories and sections where topic-related content is grouped or linked together will help provide users with a good experience.
- Stimulating Site – Customers stick around on sites that are easy to use, well organized, and that provide them with eye-catching options. To achieve this you need a balance between attractive, modern web design and compelling web copy that engages your users. For example, draw attention to hyperlinks which point to your product pages by inserting great photos or illustrations alongside well-written product descriptions. This can be very effective and will help you improve not just the user experience on your website, but also improve your sales and conversions.
- User Interactivity – Another area that helps visitors decide to stay longer on your website is providing interactive features that engage users, such as allowing them to leave comments, share, like, download and recommend your content, interact with your staff via a responsive helpdesk, support forum, live chat, schedule appointments, make reservations, etc … You also want users to browse quickly within your website and access your information without waiting around for pages to load, so having your site optimized for faster loading pages is important.
(Web design issues)
As you can see, there are many areas that can lead to a poor user experience and negatively impact your business results online. If your website isn’t designed in a user-friendly way, you run the risk of not only losing prospective paying clients but also current clients too.
Now … what if you have arrived on our website because you have an existing site with design problems that are affecting your business?
First, keep in mind that getting problems corrected on an existing website can take time and can also end up being somewhat costly depending on the problem and what kind of website you currently have, especially if what needs doing requires a lot of code editing.
If you are currently considering having a new website built or upgrading an existing web site, then we suggest that you consider choosing the WordPress web site publishing platform.
(WordPress can improve your website results!)
We plan to share a lot more in-depth posts about the benefits and advantages of using WordPress on this site, but here are just a few things to keep in mind about why you should seriously consider using WordPress:
WP Themes – Unique Web Site Design Features
WP themes are unique website design templates that allow you to immediately modify the look of your entire site with the click of a mouse button.
There are literally thousands of professional looking WordPress themes available that you can install on your website. Many of these are either freely available, or are relatively cheap, saving you thousands of dollars on the cost of website design.
Most themes built for WordPress nowadays are fully responsive and provide site owners with customizable features for changing your website’s design settings such as color, template elements like menus and headers, page layouts and more. This is just part of what makes WordPress an ideal tool for helping you create a design for your website that ultimately works for your business.
Learn about WordPress themes here:
WordPress Plugins – Modular Expansion
Another great reason to build your site using the WP CMS is that WordPress gives website owners almost unlimited functionality through add-on applications called “plugins.”
WordPress plugins, like themes, integrate with your website to provide you with virtually unlimited functionality.
Earlier we looked at issues like subpar functionality and feature limitations as part of the reason why a poorly designed website could end up costing you potential buyers.
WordPress plugins can help you overcome these issues and limitations quite easily. If there is a functionality that needs to be integrated with your website, just install a WP plugin that will help you get things done.
Want a plugin that will let you know about any issues on your site like hyperlinks not working, videos not playing, pictures that are missing or even alert you if your entire web site has gone down? No problems … there are WP plugins that can help you fix that, or notify you about problems so you can correct these immediately!
Need a plugin that will turn your site into an online store or provide you with a complete e-commerce system? Again, no problem! There are several inexpensive and easy-to-use plugins that will help you sell products online and provide your visitors with full e-commerce functionality that allow them to select and add products to a shopping cart, apply coupons, pay using credit card or PayPal, receive purchase notifications, receipts and email confirmations, etc.
And just like WP themes, there are literally thousands of useful WordPress plugins that can be easily downloaded at $0 cost, or are relatively cheap and will save you hundreds of dollars on the cost of web development.
Learn more about plugins here:
WordPress – An Engaging User Experience
In addition to being able to address problems caused by a poorly-constructed web site, WordPress can also help you create a great user experience for your visitors.
WordPress provides beautiful, professional and exciting themes that cover all kinds of uses and feature-rich plugins that allow visitors to contact, engage and interact with you. With the right combination of a WordPress-driven site, WordPress themes, plugins and great content, you can create a rich and enhanced user experience that will keep visitors returning for more.
As stated earlier, consumers do research online before they make purchasing decisions. If your website isn’t designed to provide your visitors with a rich user experience, consumers will not return and simply move on to another business that does provide them with a better website or better website experience.
Hopefully, now you have a better understanding of problems that can affect your web site and how WordPress can help you get better results online. To learn more about the benefits of using the WordPress software please see our related posts section.
"Learning WordPress has been a huge stumbling block for me. I've been looking for something that covers absolutely everything but doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Thank you so much ... you have just provided me with what I have been looking for! Truly appreciated!" - Tanya