Are you losing customers because of a poorly-designed website? Regardless of how great the quality of your products may be, a poorly-constructed web site can cost you many new customers.
In a world where attractive design matters, how your web site looks can affect your business success. Your website is probably the first thing that your visitor sees and this could influence their decision to do business with you.
Think about how most people do research about services nowadays. Even if we’re only doing preliminary research, we may jump online and go browse somebody’s website before making our next move.
Now, put yourself in your prospect’s position. How does your web presence appear to others? Does it invite people to come and explore things further, or does it make them hesitant and cautious about where to go next?
The way your site looks is just the tip of the iceberg. There are so many other factors than can influence your web visitors’ thoughts and their purchasing decisions.
Can WordPress Fix Poor Web Design?
Here are just some key design issues that can affect your site:
Site Design Problems
Common web design issues that can influence your user’s perception of your website include the following:
- Color – Unattractive color combinations can affect your site’s results. This also applies to your choice of text and background color. There are ways to pick web colors correctly and even safe web colors to help ensure that the color schemes you use will display correctly across various devices. If in doubt, seek the services of a web design professional.
- Design Elements – Web pages that contain boring, outdated or just plain hard to read fonts can result in visitors quickly losing interest in away from your site. Visitors can also be affected by inconsistent graphic element choices and excessive use of design elements.
- Layout – The way your page content is structured can affect the way users navigate around your site. Layout considerations also include where your navigation menus, links, and other useful objects.
- Responsiveness – As websites are now accessed through various devices with different-sized screens, it’s important that your website’s design be responsive. If your website does not display well on all devices, browsers, and platforms, you could lose customers.
Typical website functionality issues may include:
- Persistent site errors – A huge turn-off for visitors is landing on a page where hyperlinks don’t work, videos can’t play and images are missing. Subpar functionality is no longer acceptable on a website, especially when your aim is to come across professionally. Your website is a reflection of your company. It’s vitally important to make sure that all your hyperlinks, videos, and graphics remain running smoothly all the time. In some cases, problems may be caused by external things like your web hosting, or you may not even be aware of it, but it’s important to ensure that you’re always proactive and that you attend to problems as soon as possible.
- Feature limitations – If your website provides visitors certain functionalities, then make sure that these are not limited. For example, if you plan to sell products online, make sure that you provide visitors with full e-commerce features that allow them to easily choose and add items to a shopping cart, use coupons, complete their transactions using credit cards or PayPal, receive purchase notifications, receipts, and email confirmations, etc.
Poor Web User Experience
Typically, the area that suffers most because of a poorly-constructed site is the “user experience”.
A disappointing user experience can leave a bad taste in visitors’ mouths and lead them to share their frustrations across social sites, user forums, review sites, commenting sections, etc ….
Typical problems that can create a disappointing user experience include:
- Ease Of Use – Your site should be easy to use and easy to navigate around in. Your service information should not be kept in obscure places. Your customers want user-friendly features and they want to find things as quickly and as effortlessly as possible. Make your content searchable and if you plan to add downloadable information to your site (e.g. videos), make sure that visitors are given instructions on how to download and access your files.
- Organization – If your site content isn’t organized and user-friendly, you run the risk of losing not only potential buyers but also existing customers. Having features like search engine-friendly URLs, product and service categories and clean areas where related content is grouped or linked together provides users with an enjoyable user experience.
- Compelling Site – Visitors stay longer on sites that are easy to use, easy to navigate, and that provide them with eye-catching options. This requires striking a balance between attractive, modern web design and compelling content that engages your users. For example, highlight hyperlinks that lead to your product pages by inserting great product images beside well-crafted descriptions. This is effective and will help you improve not just the user experience on your site, but also grow your sales and conversions.
- Interactive Features – Another area that helps to improve user experience on your website is to provide interactive features that engage your users, like allowing them to comment on, share, like, download and recommend your content, interact with your support staff via a responsive help desk, support forum, live chat, schedule appointments, make reservations, etc … Additionally, you want visitors to navigate quickly within your website and access your information without waiting around for pages to load, so site speed optimization is important.
(Web site design issues)
As you can see, there are many areas that can lead to a poor user experience and negatively impact your business results online. If your website is poorly constructed, you run the risk of not only losing potential paying clients but also existing customers as well.
Now … what if you have arrived here because you have an existing site with design problems that could be affecting your business?
First, be aware that getting a website overhaul can take some time and can also end up being fairly costly depending on the problem and what kind of website you currently have, especially if what needs doing requires a lot of coding.
If you are currently in the process of getting a new website developed or redeveloping an existing site, then we suggest that you seriously consider choosing the WordPress website management platform.
(WordPress can improve your website results!)
We plan to provide more in-depth posts about the benefits and advantages of WordPress on this site, but here are just some key points to keep in mind about why you should seriously consider using WordPress:
WP Themes – Customizable Web Site Design
WP themes are unique website design templates that let you immediately modify the look and feel of your entire site without touching the website’s content and changing any of the underlying software.
There are thousands of professional themes available that you can download and install on your site. Many themes are either freely available, or they are extremely affordable, saving you hundreds of dollars on the cost of website design.
Most WP themes are fully responsive and provide site owners with customizable features for changing the design on your site like the color, elements like menus, headers, footers and site typography, page layouts and more. Themes are just one of the many things that make WordPress an ideal tool for helping you create a design for your website that helps to improve your business.
You can learn about themes here:
WordPress – Modular Scalability
Another great reason to build your site using WordPress is that WordPress gives website owners almost unlimited functionality through add-on applications called “plugins.”
WP plugins, like WordPress themes, integrate with your website to provide you with virtually unlimited additional features.
Earlier we talked about problems in areas like subpar functionality and feature limitations as part of the reason why a poorly built website can lose you money.
Plugins can help you overcome these problems quite easily. If there is a feature that needs to be in your site, just install a WP plugin that does exactly what you want to get things done.
Want a plugin that will let you know about any issues on your site such as links not working, videos not streaming, graphics that aren’t displaying or even alert you if your whole web site has gone down? No problems … there are plugins that can help you fix that, or let you know about problems so you can take immediate corrective action!
Want a plugin that will let you turn your website into an online store or provide you with a complete e-commerce system? Again, no problem! There are several WP plugins that will help you sell products online and provide your visitors with full e-commerce features that allow them to easily select and add items to a shopping cart, apply discounts, pay using credit card or PayPal, receive notifications, receipts and email confirmations, etc.
And just like themes, there are literally tens of thousands of great WP plugins that can be downloaded at $0 cost, or are relatively cheap to buy and will save you hundreds of dollars on the cost of web development.
Learn more about plugins here:
WordPress – An Enhanced Web User Experience
In addition to being able to address issues caused by a poorly-designed web site, WordPress can also help you provide visitors with a great user experience.
WordPress provides beautiful and exciting themes that cover all kinds of applications and functional plugins that allow website visitors to contact, engage and interact with you. With the right combination of a WordPress site, WordPress themes, plugins and great content, you can create a rich user experience that will keep them coming back to your website.
As we’ve previously stated, consumers nowadays do research online before making purchasing decisions. If your website isn’t designed with customers in mind, these potential clients will simply move on to another business that does offer them a better website.
Hopefully, now you have a better understanding of issues that can affect your web site and how WordPress can help you expand your business business online. To learn more about using WordPress for a business web site please click on links to visit other posts we have published on this site.
"This is AMAZING! I had learnt about how to use WordPress previously, but this covers absolutely everything and more!! Incredible value! Thank you!" - Monique, Warrior Forum
Disclaimer: We are not associated with WordPress, Automattic, or any of the products discussed on this site. We may derive financial benefits from the sale of third-party products advertised, promoted or linked to our website. All images and descriptions sourced from product websites are the copyright of their respective owners and have been used solely for training or illustrative purposes.
Did you enjoy this post? Feel free to share this tutorial with other website owners using the social links below.