Are you missing out on prospects because of a poorly-built site? Regardless of how strong your services are, a poorly-constructed web site can end up losing you many new customers.
In a world where aesthetic principles matter, the way your web site looks can affect the success of your business. Your website is probably the first thing that your visitors see and this can influence their purchasing decision.
People are turning more than ever to the internet to find products and services. Even if we’re only doing preliminary research, we will probably jump online and go browse someone’s web site before deciding what to do next.
Now, try to see things from your visitor’s perspective. How does your web site appear to them? Does it invite people to draw closer and explore things further, or does it make people confused and unsure about where to go next?
How your site looks is just the tip of the iceberg. There is so much more than can affect your visitors’ perceptions and their purchasing decisions.
Can WordPress Fix A Poorly-Constructed Website?
Let’s review some of the key design problems that can affect your web site:
Web Site Design Problems
Typical web design issues that can influence your prospect’s perception of your site include:
- Color – Unattractive color schemes can impact on your results. This also applies to using text and background color. There are ways to choose web colors correctly and even safe web color tools to help ensure that the colors you select will display correctly across various mediums. If in doubt, consult a professional web designer.
- Design Elements – Web pages that contain aesthetically uninteresting, outdated or just plain old ugly graphics can easily result in visitors quickly losing interest in away from your site. Visitors can also be affected by careless inconsistencies in the design elements and excessive use of design elements.
- Layout – The way you structure your pages can impact the way users navigate around your site. Layout considerations also include where your navigation menus, links, and other objects.
- Responsiveness – As websites are now viewed using a range of devices with different-sized browsers, it’s important that the design of your website be fully responsive. If your web pages do not display well across all devices, browsers, and platforms, you will incur business opportunity losses.
Website Functionality Issues
Typical website functionality issues include the following:
- Frequent errors – A huge turn-off for users is arriving on a site where some links don’t work, videos can’t play and images are missing. Subpar functionality is not acceptable for a website, especially if you are trying to come across as a professional and reliable business. Your online presence reflects your company. It’s important therefore, to ensure that all your hyperlinks, videos, and graphics are up and running all the time. Sometimes, these issues are related to factors like your hosting, or you may not even be aware of it, but it’s important to ensure that you’re always proactive and that you get issues corrected immediately.
- Feature limitations – If your web site provides users specific features or functionalities, then make sure that these are not limited. For example, if you plan to sell goods or services on your site, make sure that you provide visitors with full e-commerce features that allow them to select and add products to a cart, enter discounts, complete purchases using credit cards or PayPal, receive purchase notifications, receipts, and email confirmations, etc.
Poor Web User Experience
Typically, the area that suffers the most due to a poorly-designed web site is the “user experience”.
A disappointing user experience can leave a bad taste in users mouths and lead them to vent their dissatisfaction in social sites, forums, review sites, comments, etc., bringing you unwanted negative publicity.
Some common problems that can cause a bad user experience include the following:
- User-Friendly – Your website needs to be user-friendly. Your service information should not be hard to find. Your customers want user-friendly features and they want to find what they are looking for as quickly and as effortlessly as possible. Make your content searchable and if you plan to add downloadable files to your site (e.g. PDF price lists), make sure that visitors are given instructions on how to download and access your information.
- Organized – If your site content isn’t cleanly organized and user-friendly, you run the risk of losing not only prospective buyers but current clients also. Providing features such as search engine-friendly links, product and service categories and well-organized sections where related content can be easily found will help provide users with a good user experience.
- Compelling Site – Customers stick around on sites that are user friendly, easy to navigate, and that provide them with stimulating options. To achieve this you need a balance between attractive, modern web design and compelling content that engages your users. For example, draw attention to links that lead to your product pages with professionally-taken photos or illustrations beside well-written product descriptions. This is effective and will help you improve not only the user experience on your website, but also grow your sales and conversions.
- User Interactivity – Another aspect that helps customers decide to stick around on your website is providing interactive features that engage your users, like the ability to leave comments, share, like, download and recommend your content, interact with your staff via a responsive help desk, support forum, live chat, schedule appointments, make reservations, etc … Additionally, you want visitors to browse quickly within your site and access your data without waiting around for pages to load, so site speed optimization is important.
(Website design issues)
As you can see, there are many areas that can lead to a poor user experience and negatively impact your business success online. If your website is poorly built, you run the serious risk of not only losing potential paying clients but also some of current clients too.
Now … what if you have arrived on our site because you currently have an existing website with design issues that could be affecting your business?
First, be aware that getting a complete website overhaul can take time and can also end up being quite costly depending on the problem and what kind of site you have, especially if what needs doing requires extensive code editing.
If you are currently in the process of getting a new website built or redeveloping an existing website, then we suggest that you consider building or redesigning your website with the WordPress website publishing platform.
(WordPress can improve your website results!)
We currently publish a lot more in-depth posts about WordPress on this site, but here are just some key points to keep in mind about why you should seriously consider using WordPress:
WP Themes – Unique Website Design Features
WP themes are unique web design template systems that allow you to immediately modify the look of your site with the click of a mouse button.
There are literally thousands of professional themes available that can be downloaded. Many of these are either freely available, or can be bought for a relatively inexpensive cost, saving you hundreds of dollars on the cost of web design.
Most themes built for WordPress nowadays are responsive and provide site owners with customizable options for changing your website’s design settings such as the color, template elements like headers and footers, page layouts and more. This is just part of what makes WordPress such a great tool for helping you create a design for your website that helps your business.
You can learn about themes here:
WordPress Plugins – Virtually Unlimited Features
Another great reason to build your site using the WordPress CMS is that WordPress provides you with almost unlimited functionality through add-on applications called “plugins.”
WP plugins, like themes, integrate easily with your site to provide you with virtually unlimited extra features.
Earlier in this article we talked about areas like subpar functionality and feature limitations as part of the reason why a poorly constructed web site can lose you customers.
Plugins can help you overcome these issues quite easily. If there is a functionality you would like to integrate with your website, just install a WordPress plugin that will do exactly what you need your site to do.
Need a plugin that will let you know about any problems on your website like hyperlinks not working, audios not streaming, pictures that are missing or even alert you if your whole web site has gone down? No problems … there are WP plugins that can help you fix that, or let you know about problems so you can correct these immediately!
Want a plugin that will turn your website into an online store or provide you with a complete e-commerce system? Again, no problem! There are several inexpensive plugins that will help you sell goods or services on your site and provide your visitors with full e-commerce functionality that allow them to easily choose and add products to a cart, use discount codes, buy using credit card or PayPal, receive purchase notifications, receipts and email confirmations, etc.
And just like WordPress themes, there are tens of thousands of great plugins built for WordPress site owners that you can download and easily install on your site at no cost, or that are extremely affordable, once again, saving you hundreds, even thousands of dollars on the cost of website development.
You can learn more about plugins here:
WordPress – An Engaging User Experience
In addition to being able to address problems caused by a poorly-constructed website, WordPress can also help you create a great user experience for your visitors.
WordPress provides beautiful and exciting themes that cover all kinds of uses and plugins that allow visitors to connect, engage and interact online with you. With the right combination of a WordPress-powered site, WP themes, plugins and great content, you can create a rich and enhanced user experience that will keep users coming back for more.
As we’ve previously stated, consumers nowadays will do research online before they make purchasing decisions. If your website isn’t designed with a focus on the customer, your prospective customers will not return and simply move on to another business that does provide them with a better website or better user experience.
Hopefully, now you have a better understanding of issues that can affect your web site and how WordPress can help you grow your business business online. To learn more about using WordPress for a business website please click on links to visit our related posts section.
"I am beyond impressed with what you have put together. I can tell that you put a ton of hard work into building what you have. You have the absolute best content on WordPress I have ever seen!" - Robert T. Jillie
Disclaimer: This site has no association with WordPress or any WordPress-related products written about on this site. We may derive an affiliate commission from the sale of any products advertised, endorsed or linked from our website. All images and descriptions sourced from product websites remain the copyright of their respective owners and have been used solely for training or illustrative purposes.
Did you enjoy this post? Feel free to share this information with others using the social links below.