Are you losing customers because of a poorly-constructed site? A poorly-constructed web site could end up costing you many new customers.
In a world where aesthetic principles matter, your website’s design can affect the success of your business. Your website is the first thing that a potential buyer sees and this could influence their decision to use your services.
People are now turning more than ever to the internet to find products and services. Even if it’s just preliminary research, we may jump online and go visit someone’s site before deciding what to do next.
Now, try to see things from your prospect’s viewpoint. How does your digital presence appear to them? Does your site invite people to draw closer and explore things further, or does it make people confused and unsure about where to go next?
How your site looks is just the tip of the iceberg. There is so much more than can affect your web visitors’ thoughts and their decision to buy from you.
Can WordPress Help You Fix Poor Web Design?
Let’s review some key design problems that can affect your website’s results and performance:
Site Design Problems
Some of the most common design issues that can affect a user’s perception of your site include:
- Color – Clashing color combinations affect your results. This also applies to text and background color. There are tools to choose web colors correctly and even safe web color palettes to make sure that the color schemes you use will display predictably across different devices. If in doubt, consult a professional web designer.
- Design Elements – Web pages that contain boring, outdated and just plain old hard to read text can turn users off your website. Visitors can also be affected by overall design inconsistencies or overpowering use of design elements.
- Layout – How your pages are laid out can have an impact effect on how users interact with your site. Layout considerations also include how your navigational items, links, and other objects.
- Responsiveness – Since websites are now accessed by a range of devices with different-sized browsers, it’s important that the design of your website be fully responsive. If your web pages do not display well across all devices, browsers, and platforms, you could lose valuable business opportunities.
Web Site Functionality Problems
Common functionality problems include:
- Subpar functionality – A huge turn-off for visitors is arriving on a site where some links don’t work, videos don’t play and graphics are missing. Frequent errors are no longer acceptable for a website, especially when your goal is to come across as a professional. Your website reflects your business. It’s important therefore, to ensure that all your hyperlinks, videos, and images remain working at all times. Sometimes, problems are related to factors such as your web hosting, or they may even be unbeknownst to you, but it’s important to make sure that you’re always proactive and that you get issues corrected as soon as possible.
- Feature limitations – If your business offers visitors certain features and functionalities, then make sure that these are not limited. For example, if you want to sell products online, make sure that you provide visitors with full e-commerce functionality that allow them to easily select and add products to a shopping cart, use discounts, complete purchases using credit cards or PayPal, receive purchase notifications, invoices, and email confirmations, etc.
Poor Web User Experience
Invariably, where potential customers suffer the most due to a poorly-built site is the “user experience”.
An unsatisfactory user experience can leave a bad taste in people’s mouths and lead to sharing their disappointment on social sites, forums, review sites, commenting sections, etc ….
Some common problems that can lead to a bad user experience can include the following:
- User-Friendly – Your website should be user-friendly. Information about your products and services should not be kept in obscure areas. Your prospective buyers want user-friendly features and they want to find things as quickly and as effortlessly as possible. Make your content searchable and if you plan to add downloadable information to your site (e.g. videos), make sure that users are given instructions on how to download and access your information.
- Organized – If your site content isn’t well organized and user-friendly, you run the risk of losing not only prospective clients but also current clients. Having features such as descriptive links, product and service categories and clean sections where related content can be easily found can help provide visitors with a good user experience.
- Compelling Website – Visitors stay longer on websites that are user friendly, well organized, and that are stimulating. This means aiming for a balance between attractive, modern web design and compelling web copy that engages your users. For example, highlight links that direct visitors to your product pages with eye-catching images next to well-written product descriptions. This is effective and will help improve not only the user experience on your website, but can also lead to more sales and conversions.
- User Interactivity – Another thing that helps visitors decide to stick around on your site is to provide interactive features that engage visitors, like features that let users comment on, share, like, download and recommend your content, interact with your support staff via a responsive help desk, support forum, live chat, schedule appointments, make reservations, etc … Additionally, you want visitors to navigate quickly around your website and access your information without waiting around for pages to load, so site loading optimization is important.
(Web design problems)
As the above shows, there are many areas that can lead to a poor user experience and impact your business success online. If your web site is poorly designed, you run the serious risk of not only losing prospective clients but also some of existing customers too.
Now … what if you have arrived here because you currently have an existing website with design issues that could be affecting your business?
First, keep in mind that getting a website overhaul can take time and can end up being quite costly depending on the problem and what kind of site you operate, especially if it requires a lot of web code writing.
If you are considering getting a new website built or redesigning an existing web site, then we suggest that you consider building or redesigning your website with the WordPress web site management platform.
(WordPress can improve your website results!)
We plan to share more articles about the benefits and advantages of using WordPress on this site, but here are just a few of the things to keep in mind about why you should use WordPress:
WordPress – Unique Web Design Features
WordPress themes are unique web design template systems that enable you to easily customize the look and feel of your entire website in minutes.
There are literally thousands of great-looking themes created for WordPress site owners available that you can install on your site. Many themes are either free of charge, or are relatively cheap, saving you hundreds, even thousands of dollars on the cost of website design.
Most themes nowadays are fully responsive and provide website owners with customizable features for changing your site’s design like the color, template elements like menus and headers, layouts and more. This is just one of the many things that make WordPress such a great tool for helping you create a design for your website that ultimately works for your business.
You can learn about WP themes here:
Plugins – Virtually Unlimited Features
Another great reason to choose the WordPress CMS is that WordPress provides site owners with expandable features through add-on applications called “plugins.”
Plugins, like WP themes, integrate with your site to provide you with almost unlimited new functionality.
Earlier in this post we looked at areas like subpar functionality and feature limitations as part of the reason why a poorly designed web site could end up costing you money.
Plugins can help you overcome these problems quite easily and inexpensively. If there is a functionality you want integrated with your website, just install a plugin that will do what you want to get things done.
Want a plugin that will let you know about any problems with your website such as links not working, videos not streaming, graphics that aren’t showing or even alert you if your whole web site has gone down? No problems … there are WordPress plugins that can help you fix that, or let you know about problems so you can take immediate corrective action!
Want a plugin that will let you turn your website into an online store or provide you with a complete e-commerce solution? Again, no problem! There are several inexpensive and easy-to-use WP plugins that will help you sell goods or services online and provide your visitors with full e-commerce features that allow them to choose and add products to a shopping cart, use discount codes, complete their transactions using credit card or PayPal, receive notifications, receipts and email confirmations, etc.
And just like themes, there are literally thousands of great plugins for WordPress that can be downloaded for free, or you can buy for a relatively reasonable cost, once again, saving you thousands of dollars on the cost of website development.
You can learn more about plugins here:
WordPress – An Interactive Website User Experience
In addition to being able to address problems caused by a poorly-constructed website, WordPress can also help you give customers a great user experience.
WordPress provides beautiful, professional and exciting themes that cover all kinds of applications and plugins that allow customers to connect, engage and interact with you. With the right combination of a WordPress-powered website, WP themes, plugins and great content, you can create a very a highly interactive and engaging user experience that will keep your visitors returning for more.
As stated earlier, consumers nowadays do extensive research online before they make purchasing decisions. If your website isn’t designed to provide your visitors with a rich and engaging user experience, consumers will simply move on to another business with a better website.
Hopefully, this information has given you a better understanding of issues that can affect your web site and how WordPress can help you get better results online. To learn more about the benefits of using WordPress for a business website or blog please click on links to visit other posts we have published on this site.
"Learning WordPress has been a huge stumbling block for me. I've been looking for something that covers absolutely everything but doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Thank you so much ... you have just provided me with what I have been looking for! Truly appreciated!" - Tanya