Are you losing prospects because of poor web design? No matter how good your products are, a poorly-designed website could cost you potential new clients and cause more issues than you could ever wish for.
In a world where beautiful design matters, the way your website looks can contribute significantly to your business success. Your website is the first thing that your prospective buyers see and this could affect their decision to purchase.
We do things online. Even if it’s just preliminary research, we will fire up our laptop and go browse someone’s web site first before buying products in-store or online.
Now, try to see things from your visitor’s viewpoint. How does your digital presence appear to visitors? Does your site invite them to draw closer and explore things further, or does it make them hesitant and unsure about what to do next?
How your site looks is only the tip of the iceberg. There are so many other things than can affect your web visitors’ thoughts and their purchasing decisions.
Can WordPress Fix Your Poorly-Designed Website?
Let’s take a look at some key design problems that can affect your website:
Web Design Problems
Common design issues that can influence a visitor’s perception of your website include:
- Color – Bad color schemes affect your website’s results. This also applies to the use of text and background color. There are tools that can help you specify web colors correctly and even safe web color palettes to help ensure that the palettes you choose will display consistently across various web formats. If in doubt, consult a web design professional.
- Design Elements – Web pages that contain uninteresting, outdated and just plain hard to read fonts can easily result in users quickly losing interest in away from your site. Visitors can also be affected by careless inconsistencies in the design elements or excessive use of design elements.
- Layout – How you lay out your pages can impact how users navigate around your site. Layout considerations also include where your navigation menus, links, and other objects.
- Responsiveness – As websites are now accessed using various devices with different-sized screens, it’s important that the design of your website be fully responsive. If your website does not display well on all devices, browsers, and platforms, you may lose business opportunities.
Web Site Functionality Issues
Some of the most common functionality problems include the following:
- Subpar functionality – A huge turn-off for visitors is landing on a site where some hyperlinks don’t work, videos can’t play and images are missing. Subpar functionality is no longer acceptable, especially when your goal is to come across as a professional. Your digital presence reflects your organization. It’s important to make sure that all your links, videos, and graphics remain up and running at all times. In some cases, these problems are caused by things such as your web hosting, or you may not even be aware of it, but it’s important to ensure that remain proactive and that all problems are corrected as soon as possible.
- Feature limitations – If your web site provides visitors specific features or functionalities, then make sure that these features are not limited. For example, if you intend to sell products online, make sure that you provide customers with full e-commerce functionality that allow them to easily select and add items to a cart, apply coupons, pay using a credit card or PayPal, receive purchase notifications, invoices, and email confirmations, etc.
Poor Web User Experience
Invariably, where your business suffers most noticeably because of a poorly-built site is in the realm of the “user experience”.
An unpleasant user experience can leave a bad taste in people’s mouths and lead them to share their disappointment across social media, forums, review sites, comments, etc ….
Some of the more common issues that can create a disappointing user experience can include some or all of the following:
- Ease Of Use – Your website must be user-friendly. Your product information should be easy to find. Your potential clients want user-friendly features and they want to find what they are looking for quickly and without disappointment. Make your content searchable and if you plan to add downloadable content to your site (e.g. presentation slides), make sure that users are given instructions on how to download and access your information.
- Organization – If your site content isn’t well organized and user-friendly, you run the risk of losing not only prospective clients but existing clients also. Features such as search engine-friendly links, product and service categories and clearly-defined sections where topic-related content can be easily found provides visitors with an enjoyable experience.
- Stimulating Site – Users stick around on websites that are user friendly, easy to navigate, and that are stimulating. This requires achieving a balance between attractive, modern web design and compelling content that engages your website users. For example, highlight links which lead to your product pages by inserting eye-catching photos or illustrations beside well-written product descriptions. This is effective and will help improve not just the user experience on your site, but also grow your sales and conversions.
- User Engagement Features – Another aspect that helps to improve user experience on your website is to provide interactive features that engage customers, like the ability to leave comments, share, like, download and recommend your content, interact with your support staff via a responsive helpdesk, support forum, live chat, schedule appointments, make reservations, etc … Additionally, you want visitors to move quickly around your site and access your data without waiting around for content to load, so having your site optimized for faster loading pages is important.
- Compliance – One of the most important and often neglected aspects of creating a great user experience is to make sure that users feel confident interacting with you online. To reassure your web visitors that your company is credible, trustworthy, secure and professional to deal with, make sure to add legal compliance pages like a business contact page, privacy statement, terms and conditions of usage, security information, financial disclaimers, etc.
(Web site design issues)
As the above shows, there are many areas that can lead to a poor user experience and negatively impact your business success online. If your site is poorly constructed, you run the serious risk of not only losing prospective customers but also your current clients too.
Now … what if you have arrived found this information because you have an existing website with design issues that are affecting your business?
First, be aware that getting problems addressed on an existing website can take time and can also be somewhat costly depending on the problem and what kind of site you currently have, especially if the work requires a lot of code writing.
If you are considering getting a new website built or upgrading an existing site, then we strongly suggest that you consider building or redesigning your site with the WordPress website publishing platform.
(WordPress can help improve your website results!)
We currently provide more information about WordPress on this site, but here are just some key points to keep in mind about why you should seriously consider using WordPress:
Themes – Instant Web Design
WordPress themes are unique web site design template systems that let you instantly customize the look of your entire site in minutes.
There are literally thousands of professionally designed themes for WordPress users available that you can download and easily install on your site. Many themes are either free, or are extremely affordable, saving you thousands of dollars on the cost of web design.
Most themes for WordPress are fully responsive and provide website owners with highly customizable options for changing your website’s design settings like color, template elements like headers and footers, layouts and more. This is just one of the many things that make WordPress such a great tool for helping you achieve a design for your website that helps your business.
Learn about themes here:
Plugins – Modular Functionality
Another great reason to choose WordPress is that WordPress provides you with powerful features through add-on applications called “plugins.”
WordPress plugins, like themes, integrate easily with your site to provide you with almost unlimited new features.
Earlier in this post we talked about issues in areas like subpar functionality and feature limitations as part of the reason why a poorly constructed website can end up costing you potential customers.
WP plugins can help you overcome these issues and limitations quite easily and inexpensively. If there is a functionality you need integrated with your site, just install a plugin that will do what you need to get things done.
Need a plugin that will notify you immediately about any issues on your website such as links not working, audios not streaming, images that are missing or even tell you if your whole website has gone down? No problems … there are WordPress plugins that can help you fix that, or notify you about issues so you can take immediate corrective action!
Want a plugin that will let you turn your website into an online store or provide you with a complete e-commerce solution? Again, no problem! There are several inexpensive and easy-to-use WordPress plugins that will help you sell products online and provide your users with full e-commerce functionality that allow them to select and add items to a cart, apply discount coupons, complete their transactions using credit card or PayPal, receive notifications, invoices and email confirmations, etc.
And just like themes, there are literally tens of thousands of fantastic plugins for WordPress users that can be downloaded and are freely available, or are extremely affordable, once again, saving you hundreds of dollars on the cost of website development.
Learn more about plugins here:
WordPress – An Immediate Website User Experience
In addition to being able to address problems caused by a poorly-constructed web site, WordPress can also help you provide your website users with a great user experience.
WordPress provides beautiful, professional and visually-exciting themes that cover all needs and uses and applications and feature-rich plugins that allow visitors to contact, engage and interact online with you. With the right combination of a WordPress-powered site, WordPress themes, plugins and great content, you can create a a highly interactive user experience that will keep them coming back again and again.
As we’ve previously stated, consumers will do research online before making a purchasing decision. If your website isn’t designed to provide your visitors with a rich and engaging user experience, they will simply move on to another business that does offer them a better website.
Hopefully, now you have a better understanding of problems that can affect your web site and how WordPress can help you build a better online. To learn more about using the WordPress CMS software please see other posts we have published on this site.
"Learning WordPress has been a huge stumbling block for me. I've been looking for something that covers absolutely everything but doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Thank you so much ... you have just provided me with what I have been looking for! Truly appreciated!" - Tanya