Are you missing out on business because of a poorly-constructed web site? Regardless of how strong your services are, a poorly-built web site could end up costing you prospective new clients and cause more havoc than you could ever wish for.
In a world where attractive design sells, the design of your website can play a significant part in the success of your business. Your website may be the first thing that a web visitor sees and this could affect their purchasing decision.
People are turning to the internet to find products and services. Even if we’re only doing preliminary research, we may turn on our mobile device and go browse someone’s website before deciding what to do next.
Now, try to see things from your visitor’s perspective. How does your web presence appear to online users? Does your site invite people to come and explore things further, or does it make them confused and cautious about what to do next?
How your site looks is only the tip of the iceberg. There are so many other factors than can influence your web visitors’ thoughts and their decision to ultimately purchase from you.
Can WordPress Fix Bad Web Design?
Here are just some key design issues that can affect your web site’s results:
Site Design Problems
Some of the most common design problems that can impact your visitor’s perception about your site include the following:
- Color – Clashing color schemes can affect your website’s results. This also applies to using text and background color. There are ways to pick web colors correctly and even safe web colors to help make sure that the colors you decide on will display consistently across different mediums. If in doubt, consult a web design professional.
- Design Elements – Pages that contain visually unpleasant, outdated or just plain ugly images can turn visitors away from your site. Visitors can also be affected by design inconsistencies or overpowering use of design elements.
- Layout – How your page content is laid out can have an impact effect on the way visitors interact with your site. Layout considerations also include how your navigation menus, links, and other objects.
- Responsiveness – As websites are now viewed through various devices with different-sized browsers, it’s vitally important that the design of your website be fully responsive. If your website does not display well on all devices, browsers, and platforms, you could experience business losses.
Some common website functionality problems include:
- Subpar functionality – A huge turn-off for visitors is arriving on a page where hyperlinks don’t work, videos can’t play and images are missing. Subpar functionality is not acceptable in any website, especially if you are trying to come across as a professional. Your website reflects your organization. It’s vitally important therefore, to make sure that all your links, videos, and images are running smoothly at all times. Sometimes, these problems could be related to factors such as your web hosting, or you may not even be aware of it, but it’s important to ensure that you’re consistently proactive and that you attend to all problems immediately.
- Feature limitations – If your site offers users certain functionalities, then make sure that these are not limited. For example, if you would like to sell products on your site, make sure that you provide users with full e-commerce features that allow them to choose and add products to a shopping cart, apply coupons, pay with a credit card or PayPal, receive purchase notifications, invoices, and email confirmations, etc.
Poor User Experience
Invariably, where customers suffer most due to a poorly-constructed web site is in the realm of the “user experience”.
A bad user experience can leave a bad taste in visitors’ mouths and lead to sharing their disappointment across social networks, forums, review sites, commenting sections, etc., bringing you unwanted negative attention.
Here are some of the most common problems that can lead to a poor user experience:
- Ease Of Use – Your site must be easy to use and effortless to navigate around in. Your service information should be easy to find. Your visitors want user-friendly features and they want to find what they are looking for as quickly and as effortlessly as possible. Make your content searchable and if you plan to add downloadable information to your site (e.g. spreadsheets), make sure that visitors are given instructions on how to download and access your information.
- Organized – If your site content isn’t cleanly organized and user-friendly, you run the risk of losing not only prospective buyers but current clients also. Having features like search engine-friendly URLs, product and service categories and sections where topic-related content is grouped or linked together provides users with an enjoyable user experience.
- Eye-Catching Web Site – Visitors stay longer on sites that are easy to use, well organized, and that provide them with stimulating options. This requires finding a balance between attractive, modern web design and compelling content that engages your users. For example, highlight links pointing to your product pages with eye-popping photos or illustrations alongside well-written descriptions. This is effective and can help improve not only the user experience on your site, but can also lead to more sales and conversions.
- Engaging Features – Another thing that helps to improve user experience on your website is to provide interactive features that engage your customers, such as allowing them to leave comments, share, like, download and recommend your content, interact with your staff via a responsive help desk, support forum, live chat, schedule appointments, make reservations, etc … Additionally, you want users to browse quickly around your site and access your information without waiting around for content to load, so site speed optimization is important.
- Compliant Site – One of the most important and often most ignored aspects of creating a great user experience is to make sure that users feel confident interacting with you online. To reassure your potential customers that your company is credible, trustworthy, secure and professional to deal with, make sure to add legal pages like a business information page, privacy statement, terms and conditions of usage, security information, affiliate disclaimers, etc.
(Web design problems)
As the above shows, there are many areas that can contribute to a poor user experience and impact your business results online. If your site is poorly built, you run the serious risk of not only losing prospective clients but also your existing customers as well.
Now … what if you have arrived on our website because you have an existing site with design problems that may be affecting your business?
First, keep in mind that getting issues fixed on an existing website can take some time and can be somewhat costly depending on the problem and what kind of website you currently own, especially if what needs doing requires editing code extensively.
If you are currently in the process of having a new website built or redeveloping an existing site, then we highly suggest that you consider choosing WordPress.
(WordPress can help to improve your website results!)
We currently publish more posts about WordPress on this site, but here are just a few key points to keep in mind about why you should use WordPress:
Themes – Unique Web Site Design Features
WP themes are unique web site design template systems that enable you to instantly change the look and feel of your entire website in minutes.
There are thousands of professional looking WP themes available that you can download and easily install on your site. Many of these are either free, or they are extremely well priced, saving you thousands of dollars on the cost of website design.
Most themes nowadays are fully responsive and provide you with highly customizable features for changing your site’s design such as the color, elements like menus and headers, layouts and more. This is just part of what makes WordPress such a powerful tool for helping you achieve a design for your website that works for your business.
You can learn about WP themes here:
WordPress Plugins – Powerful Functionality
Another great reason to choose the WordPress CMS is that WordPress provides you with scalable features through add-on applications called “plugins.”
WP plugins, like themes, integrate easily with your website to provide you with virtually unlimited new features and functionality.
Earlier in this article we looked at problems in areas like subpar functionality and feature limitations as part of the reason why a poorly designed website can end up costing you money.
WP plugins can help you overcome these issues quite easily. If there is a functionality that you want integrated with your site, just install a WP plugin that will get the job done.
Need a plugin that will notify you about any problems with your site like hyperlinks not working, videos not playing, graphics that are missing or even tell you if your entire website has gone down? No problems … there are WP plugins that can help you fix that, or let you know about problems so you can correct these immediately!
Want a plugin that will let you turn your site into an online store or provide you with a complete e-commerce solution? Again, no problem! There are several plugins that will help you sell products on your site and provide your users with full e-commerce functionality that allow them to easily choose and add items to a cart, apply discount codes, complete purchases using credit card or PayPal, receive notifications, receipts and confirmations, etc.
And just like WP themes, there are literally tens of thousands of great plugins that you can install on your site at $0 cost, or can be bought relatively cheaply and will save you hundreds, even thousands of dollars on the cost of web development.
Learn more about WP plugins here:
WordPress – An Immediate Web User Experience
In addition to being able to correct problems caused by a poorly-constructed website, WordPress can also help you create a great user experience for visitors.
WordPress provides beautifully-designed and visually-exciting themes that cover all kinds of applications and plugins that allow web visitors to connect, engage and interact online with you. With the right combination of a WordPress site, WP themes and plugins, plus great content, you can create a very rich user experience that will keep users returning again and again.
As we’ve previously stated, consumers nowadays will do extensive research online before making purchasing decisions. If your website isn’t designed with a focus on the customer, consumers will not return and simply move on to another business with a better website and better website experience.
Hopefully, now you have a better understanding of problems that can affect your website and how WordPress can help you expand your business business online. To learn more about the benefits of using WordPress for a business website please see our related posts section.
"This is AMAZING! I had learnt about how to use WordPress previously, but this covers absolutely everything and more!! Incredible value! Thank you!" - Monique, Warrior Forum