Are you losing prospects because of poor web design? A poorly-constructed website can lose you prospective new customers and a lot of money.
In a world where first impressions matter, the design of your web site can play a significant part in your business success. Your website may be the first thing that your visitor sees and this could influence their purchasing decision.
Think about how you research products and services nowadays. Even if it’s only for preliminary research, we still turn to our smart phone and go visit somebody’s site before deciding what to do next.
Now, put yourself in your prospect’s position. How does your website appear to online users? Does your site invite people to draw closer and explore things further, or does it make them confused and unsure about where to go next?
The way your website looks is only the tip of the iceberg. There are so many other things than can influence your web visitors’ perceptions and their decision to engage with you.
Can WordPress Help You Fix A Poorly-Built Web Site?
Here are just some of the key design problems that can affect your website’s results:
Site Design Problems
Typical web design problems that can influence a prospect’s perception of your site include some following:
- Color – Unattractive color combinations affect your results. This also applies to using text and background color. There are methods that can help you choose web colors correctly and even safe web color palettes you can use to make sure that the palettes you use will display correctly across various devices. If in doubt, consult a web design professional.
- Design Elements – Web pages that contain unattractive, outdated or just plain old hard to read text can result in users quickly losing interest in off your website. Visitors can also be affected by overall design inconsistencies or overpowering use of design elements.
- Layout – The way your pages are structured can impact how users interact with your site. Layout considerations also include where your navigational items, links, and other useful objects.
- Responsiveness – Since online information is now accessed through various devices with different-sized browsers, it’s vitally important that your website’s design be fully responsive. If your web pages do not display well across all devices, browsers, and platforms, you will lose opportunities.
Common website functionality issues can include the following:
- Subpar functionality – A huge turn-off for visitors is arriving on a page where some hyperlinks don’t work, videos can’t play and images are missing. Subpar functionality is not acceptable, especially if your goal is to come across professionally. Your website is a reflection of your organization. It’s vitally important to ensure that all your links, videos, and graphics are working all the time. Sometimes, problems are related to external things like your hosting, or they may even be unbeknownst to you, but it’s important to ensure that remain proactive and that you attend to problems immediately.
- Feature limitations – If your site provides visitors specific functionality, then make sure that these functionalities are not limited. For example, if you would like to sell products on your site, make sure that you provide users with full e-commerce functionality that allow them to easily select and add items to a cart, use discounts, pay using a credit card or PayPal, receive purchase notifications, invoices, and confirmations, etc.
Poor User Experience
Invariably, where your business suffers most noticeably because of a poorly-designed website is in the realm of the “user experience”.
A poor user experience can leave a bad taste in visitors’ mouths and lead them to vent their dissatisfaction on social sites, forums, review sites, commenting sections, etc ….
Some common issues that can cause a disappointing user experience include:
- User-Friendly – Your website should be easy to use and effortless to navigate around in. Your product information should be easy to find. Your prospective clients want user-friendly features and they want to find things as quickly and as effortlessly as possible. Make your content searchable and if you plan to add downloadable content to your site (e.g. presentation slides), make sure that visitors are given instructions on how to download and access your files.
- Organized – If your site isn’t organized and user-friendly, you run the risk of losing not only prospective clients but also current clients. Having features like descriptive links, product and service categories and clearly-defined sections where topic-related content can be easily found will help provide visitors with an enjoyable user experience.
- Stimulating Website – Users stick around on sites that are user friendly, easy to navigate, and that provide them with eye-catching options. To accomplish this you need a balance between attractive, modern web design and compelling web copy that engages your visitors. For example, draw attention to hyperlinks pointing to your product pages by inserting professionally-taken images and well-written product descriptions. This is very effective and can help improve not only the user experience on your site, but also improve your sales and conversions.
- User Interactivity – Another area that helps to improve user experience on your website is providing interactive features that engage your users, such as features that let them\visitors leave comments, share, like, download and recommend your content, interact with your support staff via a responsive helpdesk, support forum, live chat, schedule appointments, make reservations, etc … You also want visitors to navigate quickly around your site and access your data without waiting around for pages to load, so having your site optimized for faster loading pages is important.
- Trustworthy Website – One of the most important and often ignored aspects of creating a great user experience is to make sure that users feel comfortable doing business with you online. To reassure your web visitors that you are credible, trustworthy, secure and professional to deal with, make sure to add legal compliance pages such as a business contact page, privacy statement, terms and conditions of usage, security information, FTC disclaimers, etc.
(Site design problems)
As you can see, there are many areas that can contribute to a poor user experience and negatively impact your business success online. If your web site is poorly built, you run the risk of not only losing prospective paying clients but also some of current clients too.
Now … what if you have arrived here because you have an existing site with design issues that may be affecting your business?
First, be aware that getting issues addressed on an existing site can take some time and can end up being somewhat costly depending on the problem and what kind of website you currently own, especially if what needs doing requires extensive web development.
If you are currently researching the process of getting a new website developed or redeveloping an existing website, then we suggest that you seriously consider choosing WordPress.
(WordPress can help improve your website results!)
We currently provide a lot more articles about WordPress on this site, but here are just a few things to keep in mind about why you should consider WordPress:
WordPress – Flexible Website Design
WP themes are unique website design templates that let you completely customize the look of your entire site without touching the website’s content or changing any underlying software.
There are literally thousands of professional themes available that you can download and install on your site. Many themes are either freely available, or can be purchased for a relatively small price, saving you hundreds, even thousands of dollars on the cost of web design.
Most themes for WordPress are responsive and provide site owners with flexible and customizable features for changing the design on your site such as color, elements like menus, headers, footers and site typography, layouts and more. Themes are just one of the many things that make WordPress an ideal tool for helping you achieve a design for your website that helps your business.
You can learn about WP themes here:
Plugins – Modular Functionality
Another great reason to choose the WordPress web site publishing software is that WordPress gives site owners scalable features through add-on applications called “plugins.”
Plugins, like WP themes, integrate easily with your site to provide you with virtually unlimited flexibility.
Earlier in this article we looked at issues like subpar functionality and feature limitations as part of the reason why a poorly constructed web site can end up losing you prospective buyers.
Plugins can help you overcome these issues and limitations quite easily. If there is a feature that needs to be in your website, just install a plugin that will do what you need done.
Want a plugin that will let you know about any issues with your website like links not working, videos not streaming, graphics that are missing or even alert you if your whole site is down? No problems … there are WordPress plugins that can help you fix that, or notify you about problems so you can correct these immediately!
Want a plugin that will transform your website into an online store or provide you with a complete e-commerce business solution? Again, no problem! There are several inexpensive and easy-to-use plugins that will help you sell goods or services online and provide your customers with full e-commerce functionality that allow them to easily select and add items to a shopping cart, use discount coupons, pay with credit card or PayPal, receive notifications, receipts and confirmations, etc.
And just like WordPress themes, there are thousands of useful plugins that you can download and easily install on your site for free, or that can be bought relatively cheaply, once again, saving you hundreds of dollars on the cost of website development.
You can learn more about plugins here:
WordPress – An Immediate Website User Experience
In addition to being able to address problems caused by a poorly-built web site, WordPress can also help you create a great user experience for your customers.
WordPress provides beautiful, professional and visually-exciting themes that cover all kinds of uses and feature-rich plugins that allow visitors to connect, engage and interact with you. With the right combination of a WordPress-powered website, WordPress themes, plugins and great content, you can create a rich and enhanced user experience that will keep your visitors coming back to your site.
As we’ve previously stated, consumers nowadays will do extensive research online before making purchasing decisions. If your website isn’t designed to provide your visitors with a rich user experience, these consumers will simply move on to another business that does offer them a better website.
Hopefully, now you have a better understanding of issues that can affect your web site and how WordPress can help you improve your business business online. To learn more about using the WordPress software please click on links to visit our related posts section.
"I was absolutely amazed at the scope and breadth of these tutorials! The most in-depth training I have ever received on any subject!" - Myke O'Neill, DailyGreenPost.com