Are you missing out on business because of a poorly-constructed website? A poorly-designed website can end up costing you many new customers.
In a world where visually attractive things matter, the way your website looks can be very important to the success of your business. Your website is probably the first thing that your web visitors see and this can influence their decision to do business with you.
People are turning to the internet to find products and services. Even if we’re only doing preliminary research, we will jump online and go browse somebody’s website before making our next move.
Now, put yourself in your customer’s shoes. How does your digital presence appear to online users? Does your site invite people to enter and explore things further, or does it make people confused and unsure about what to do next?
What prospects see “above the fold” (i.e. what you first see in your screen) is just the tip of the iceberg. There is so much more than can affect your web visitors’ experience and their purchasing decisions.
Can WordPress Help You Fix Your Poorly-Constructed Web Site?
Let’s review some key design problems that can affect your web site’s results:
Web Site Design Issues
Typical web design issues that can affect your user’s perception of your website include some following:
- Color – Poor color schemes can affect your results. This also applies to your choice of text and background color. There are ways to select web colors correctly and even safe web color tools to ensure that the palettes you decide on will display predictably across different systems. If in doubt, consult a professional web designer.
- Design Elements – Web pages that contain boring, outdated and just plain old hard to read text can turn prospects off your site. Visitors can also be affected by subtle inconsistencies in your design elements or overpowering use of design elements.
- Layout – The way your site is laid out can affect the way users interact with your site. Layout considerations also include where your navigational menus, links, and other useful objects.
- Responsiveness – Since websites are now accessed through various devices with different-sized browsers, it’s vitally important that your web design be responsive. If your web pages do not resize automatically to work across all devices, browsers, and platforms, you may incur business losses.
Typical website functionality problems include:
- Subpar functionality – A huge turn-off for visitors is arriving on a page where some links don’t work, videos don’t play and images aren’t showing. Subpar functionality is not acceptable in any website, especially when you are trying to come across as a professional and dependable business. Your website reflects your company. It’s important therefore, to make sure that all your hyperlinks, videos, and graphics remain working at all times. Sometimes, problems are caused by external factors like your hosting, or they may even be unbeknownst to you, but it’s important to make sure that you’re always proactive and that you attend to all problems immediately.
- Feature limitations – If your business offers users certain features, then make sure that these are not limited. For example, if you plan to sell goods or services on your site, make sure that you provide users with full e-commerce features that allow them to select and add items to a shopping cart, apply coupons, complete purchases using credit cards or PayPal, receive purchase notifications, receipts, and confirmations, etc.
Poor Web User Experience
Typically, where your business suffers most noticeably because of a poorly-built website is the “user experience”.
A bad user experience can leave a bad taste in people’s mouths and lead to venting their frustrations in social sites, user forums, review sites, commenting sections, etc ….
Here are just some of the more common issues that can lead to a poor user experience:
- Ease Of Use – Your website should be user-friendly. Your product information should be easy to find. Your visitors want user-friendly features and they want to find things quickly and without disappointment. Make your content searchable and if you plan to add downloadable information to your site (e.g. spreadsheets), make sure that visitors are given instructions on how to download and access your information.
- Organized – If your web site isn’t cleanly organized and user-friendly, you run the risk of losing not only prospective customers but also existing customers. Features such as search engine-friendly links, product and service categories and clearly-defined areas where topic-related content can be easily found provides users with an enjoyable experience.
- Stimulating Features – Users stay longer on websites that are user friendly, easy to navigate, and that are stimulating. To accomplish this you need a balance between attractive, modern web design and compelling website copy that engages your website users. For example, highlight hyperlinks pointing to your product pages with great graphics and well-crafted descriptions. This is effective and will help improve not just the user experience on your website, but can also lead to more sales and conversions.
- User Interactivity – Another aspect that helps users decide to stay longer on your site is to provide interactive features that engage your users, such as the ability to comment on, share, like, download and recommend your content, interact with your staff via a responsive help desk, support forum, live chat, schedule appointments, make reservations, etc … Additionally, you want users to navigate quickly within your website and access your information without waiting around for pages to load, so site speed optimization is important.
- Reassuring Site – One of the most important and often neglected aspects of creating a great user experience is to make sure that users feel confident interacting with you online. To reassure your potential customers that you are credible, trustworthy, secure and professional to deal with, make sure to add legal compliance pages such as a business information page, privacy statement, terms and conditions of use, security information, FTC disclaimers, etc.
(Site design issues)
As you can see, there are many areas that can contribute to a poor user experience and impact your business success online. If your website isn’t designed in a user-friendly way, you run the risk of not only losing potential clients but also your existing customers too.
Now … what if you have arrived found this article because you have an existing site with design problems that may be affecting your business?
First, keep in mind that getting a website overhaul can take some time and can be quite costly depending on the problem and what kind of site you currently operate, especially if what needs doing requires extensive web development.
If you are considering having a new website developed or redesigning an existing web site, then we suggest that you consider choosing WordPress.
(WordPress can help you improve your website results!)
We plan to publish more in-depth posts about WordPress on this site, but here are just a few things to keep in mind about why you should seriously consider using WordPress:
WP Themes – Unique Website Design Features
WP themes are unique web design template systems that enable you to immediately change the look and feel of your entire site without touching the site’s content and changing the core site functionality.
There are literally thousands of professionally designed WordPress themes available that can be easily downloaded. Many of these are either freely available, or are extremely affordable, saving you hundreds of dollars on the cost of web design.
Most themes built for WordPress nowadays are fully responsive and provide you with customizable features for changing your site’s design settings like the color, elements like menus, headers, footers, page layouts and more. This is just part of what makes WordPress such a great tool for helping you create a design for your website that works for your business.
Learn about WordPress themes here:
WordPress – Powerful Expansion
Another great reason to build your site using WordPress is that WordPress gives website owners powerful functionality through add-on applications called “plugins.”
Plugins, like WordPress themes, integrate with your website to provide you with virtually unlimited expansion.
Earlier in this post we talked about issues in areas like subpar functionality and feature limitations as part of the reason why a poorly designed website could end up losing you prospective buyers.
Plugins can help you overcome these issues quite easily and inexpensively. If there is a functionality that needs to be in your site, just install a WP plugin that gets things done.
Need a plugin that will notify you immediately about any problems on your website such as hyperlinks not working, audios not playing, pictures that aren’t showing or even tell you if your entire website is down? No problems … there are plugins that can help you fix that, or let you know about problems so you can correct these immediately!
Want a plugin that will transform your site into an online store or provide you with a complete e-commerce system? Again, no problem! There are several inexpensive plugins that will help you sell goods or services online and provide your users with full e-commerce features that allow them to easily choose and add products to a shopping cart, enter coupons, buy with credit card or PayPal, receive notifications, invoices and email confirmations, etc.
And just like WP themes, there are literally tens of thousands of useful plugins created for WordPress site owners that you can install on your website at $0 cost, or that are extremely well priced, once again, saving you hundreds, even thousands of dollars on the cost of web development.
You can learn more about plugins here:
WordPress – An Engaging Web User Experience
In addition to being able to address problems caused by a poorly-constructed web site, WordPress can also help you give visitors a great user experience.
WordPress provides beautifully-designed and exciting themes that cover all needs and applications and plugins that allow website visitors to contact, engage and interact online with you. With the right combination of a WordPress-powered site, WP themes and plugins, plus great content, you can create a rich user experience that will keep your visitors coming back to your site.
As stated earlier, consumers nowadays will do extensive research online before making purchasing decisions. If your website isn’t designed to provide your visitors with a rewarding user experience, these prospective customers will simply move on to another business that does provide them with a better website and better user experience.
Hopefully, now you have a better understanding of problems that can affect your web site and how WordPress can help you expand your business business online. To learn more about using WordPress for a business web site please see other posts we have published on this site.
"I was absolutely amazed at the scope and breadth of these tutorials! The most in-depth training I have ever received on any subject!" - Myke O'Neill, DailyGreenPost.com