Social interactions like Facebook shares, +1s on Google+, etc. are called social signals.
Google has been elevating the importance given to social signals as part of its ranking algorithm for several years now.
Note: Google encourages website owners to build their social media presence as a long-term investment to drive qualified traffic, instead of aiming for short-term benefits like search ranking placement. Matt Cutts, the head of Google’s own web spam team has stated that Google takes a cautious approach when it comes to social signals, as social trends and relationships can change at a moment’s notice. Without a full ‘map,’ Google is understandably reticent to assign more importance to the social sphere over other aspects of their search algorithm. In summary, Google’s strategy is a sensible one - “wait and see” how things develop over time, as sites that provide value develop longevity, trust and authority, and these are the sites that Google wants to rank higher in its search engine listings.
Social Signal Sources
Social media sites that search engines look to for measuring social signals include:
With almost 2 billion monthly active users, Facebook is the largest social media network on the planet. It has been estimated that one great post can reach over 100,000 users, so even if no one is buying your products or services on Facebook, don’t be quick to dismiss Facebook as an important part of your business strategy, as Google processes social data and information from Facebook to help determine your search rankings. In fact, research indicates that Facebook seems influence website rankings more than other social media sites, like Twitter andGooglePlus.
(Number of active Facebook users. Source: Statista.com)
After Facebook, Twitter is the next largest social media site in the world, with over 600 million tweets sent out every single day. Twitter plays a significant role as a global influencer on the cybersphere and places great emphasis on tweeting posts that provide great value to followers over the volume of tweets sent …
(Over 500 million tweets are sent each day. Source: Internet Live Stats)
Google’s own social site naturally carries great authority online, even if it is still a fledgling online community compared to sites like Facebook and Twitter.
(More people are interacting on GooglePlus each week. Source: Internet Live Stats)
In addition to the big three listed above, there are a number of other social media networks worth getting to know, like Pinterest, LinkedIn, Digg, Reddit, and StumbleUpon.
(Social media sites provide important signals that can affect your search engine rankings)
Social Signals – Which Ones Should You Be Paying Attention To?
Social signals tracked by search engines like Google and Bing include the following:
- Facebook – e.g. how many Facebook comments, likes, and shares you have, growth rate of likes and shares, etc.
- Twitter – e.g. how many tweets and retweets a URL has, the number of people sending a tweet, trending topics, etc.
- GooglePlus – e.g. who is following you (influential users), how many people follow you, number of adds and shares, etc.
- Other sites – e.g. growth rate of Pins and re-Pins on Pinterest, upvotes on Reddit, etc.
- Other signals – In addition to the above, there are other not so obvious social media-related factors that can influence search engine traffic and rankings. These include positive and undesirable factors, such as links from authority sites (backlinks) (not as influential as they once were, but still a factor) [positive], and whether your site is deemed to be of poor quality by site reviewers [negative].
As a website owner, it’s not only important to find ways to develop your social media presence, but also to be able to monitor and analyze social media in order to improve your business results.
(Using social media can help improve your business results)
Social media monitoring allows you to gain insights into what people are saying about your services, brand, or company on social media, avert impending crises, spy on your competitors, identify market opportunities, and measure the impact of campaigns. It can also provide valuable data about emerging trends and what clients and consumers think about specific products, businesses, topics, or brands.
As a business intelligence tool, being able to track volume and sentiments of online conversations and activity on social media is invaluable. Using social media monitoring as a form of business intelligence, however, is a complex undertaking, often carried out by various groups that include online reputation managers, market research, marketing teams, agencies, social engagement and community personnel, and sales teams. Typically, small businesses don’t have the budget to pay social media monitoring professionals to continually track their coverage in the media.
Fortunately a number of technology companies have developed affordable tools to facilitate the monitoring of a wide spectrum of social media channels, enabling companies to identify and even predict consumer behavior around their brands so they can respond to conversations and engage with online users in various social media platforms.
We have written a detailed article listing over 30 social media tracking tools that will help you manage, measure, and analyze your social media marketing initiatives. To learn more, visit this page:
(Are you searching for an effective way to measure your social signals?)
In this article, we discuss a simple social tracking plugin for WordPress and improving your social media exposure online.
Social Metrics Pro – Social Analytics Plugin For WordPress
Social Metrics Pro is an easy-to-use social analytics premium WordPress plugin that is designed to help you increase your social media presence in an uncomplicated way. It is built on a simple concept – SocialMetricsPro tracks how each signal is performing and returns either a red or green indicator. The site owner’s task is to convert all red squares into greens.
(A standard operating procedure that anyone can follow … turn reds into greens!)
Colors indicate relative popularity. This simplifies your social analytics. Posts that get shared the most display green. Posts with low social media activity display amber and red.
The developers of Social Metrics Pro tested their plugin on a network of over two thousand sites over a period of three months. During this period, all they focused on was turning the “reds” to “greens” and then keeping their metrics on “green”. According to the plugin developers, they noticed a 360% improvement in traffic for their top 10 performing sites, 410% more keywords ranked in the first page of Google and they also experienced a 310% increase in revenues.
(According to SocialMetricsPro developers, focusing on improving your social media marketing can result in better search rankings, more traffic and more revenue!)
Here we have listed just a few of the benefits of using SocialMetricsPro to track Likes, Tweets, +1s, Pins and more right from your WP Dashboard on your site:
Quick And Simple To Install And Use. Ready To Use In Minutes.
SocialMetricsPro installs like every plugin. Just upload it to your Plugin folder via your administrator login and activate.
Really Simple To Use
As mentioned earlier, your objective is to turn more reds into greens. Social Metrics Pro tracks and measures social media signals the way Google sees it so you know where to apply more effort and which social marketing campaigns need to be better optimized.
Select Only Signals From Social Networks You Care About
SocialMetricsPro lets you monitor social activity across leading networks like Facebook, Google+, Twitter, StumbleUpon, Pinterest, Digg, and LinkedIn directly from your WP dashboard.
Social Metrics Pro helps you get answers to questions like:
- Which social networks work best for my site?
- Which posts are performing the best on these social networks?
- Which are my most popular posts?
- And more …
With Social Metrics Pro, all of this information can be accessed with just one click.
(SocialMetricsPro constantly tracks social signals from the sites that you care most about!)
SocialMetricsPro provides a number of great features to WordPress users. Here are just a few:
- Quick and simple to install and set up. Be up and running in very little time.
- Widgets And Extensions Ready. You can extend the plugin’s functionality using external and built-in widgets. Social Metrics Pro shows updated information from your WP admin bar, add social content to your sidebar or anywhere in your site using point-and-click widgets.
- 1-click upgrades. You can update SocialMetricsPro in one click via the WordPress Updates screen, or update it manually. You can also choose to receive email notifications when new versions are released.
- Consumes minimal resources. Reporting is very quickly, consuming very little hosting resources. Reports also include the amount of time it took to retrieve the information and the server memory consumed when gathering the data.
Additional plugin features include:
- Sort, Search And Filter Features: SocialMetricsPro lets you sort, search and filter your data however you like. You can perform keyword searches to study posts related to certain topics, and even filter the results by category, post type, publishing date, or post authors.
- Export Data: You can export and plot data in Excel for further analysis. Data can be exported in tab-delimited and comma-separated file formats, and imported to the spreadsheet application of your choice.
(SocialMetricsPro is simple to use … just convert all the reds into greens!)
Feedback From Users
Here are some of the testimonials and feedback that users have submitted regarding SocialMetricsPro:
”Our entire marketing strategy relies on social media. Each post on the site has viral potential, but we needed one place to see which social networks are performing the best for us…We went ahead and got the PRO Version of Social Metrics.” Syed Balkhi, Founder of List25 and WPBeginner.com
”I give Social Metrics a big thumbs up and I recommend it to anyone who’s serious about tracking their social sharing analytics.” James Johnson, Senior Editor at The Inquisitr
SocialMetricsPro includes a step-by-step guide containing useful advice on how to optimize your social media strategy (i.e. how to turn reds into greens).
SocialMetricsPro is well-supported, and users get lifetime updates and new releases for free with their purchase, backed by a no-risk, 60-day, complete refund guarantee.
SocialMetricsPro plugin is available in two editions:
- Single Site License – This option lets you run SocialMetricsPro on a single domain. Includes free lifetime upgrades and support. Price = $27.00 (one-time).
- Multi-Site Licensing – This enables you to set up Social Metrics Pro on all web sites that you own. Includes free lifetime upgrades and free support. Price = $47.00 (one-time).
Please Note: Pricing for the product can vary, depending on whether there are any promotions or limited-time specials being offered. The pricing shown above was correct when this article was published. This may not be the actual pricing set by the plugin developer when you visit the website and there may be additional upsells or one-time offers after purchasing.
Check the plugin’s website for the latest pricing details:
Additional Product Info
SocialMetricsPro requires a self-hosted installation of WordPress and can be instantly downloaded after purchase.
As mentioned earlier, with the increase in importance of social sites like Facebook and Twitter, search engines now take into account various social signals when determining a site’s ranking.
No website owner can afford to ignore how important social media is to their online success. SocialMetricsPro solves the problem of how to find a simple, time-saving solution that gives you immediate feedback on the success of your social marketing strategy and guides you where to direct your efforts in order to improve your results.
SocialMetricsPro is ideal for beginners and advanced WordPress users alike. It tracks Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more directly from your WP admin area.
We recommend getting Social Metrics Pro if you own or manage WordPress sites and would like to save time and resources by focusing on under-optimized social media marketing campaigns.
For more details, check out the plugin here: Social Metrics Pro – Social Media Analytics Plugin For WordPress