Social recommendations like Facebook comments, likes, and shares, +1s on GooglePlus, etc. are called social signals.
Social signals impact search engine rankings and Google has been elevating the importance given to social signals as part of its ranking algorithm since late 2010.
Note: Google encourages businesses to build their social media presence as a long-term investment to drive qualified traffic, rather than aiming for short-term benefits like search ranking placement. Matt Cutts, the head of Google’s web spam team has stated that Google takes a cautious approach when it comes to social signals, as so many things change quickly on social media. Without a perfect ‘map,’ Google is understandably reticent to assign more importance to the social sphere over other aspects of their search algorithm. In summary, Google’s strategy is a sensible one - “wait and see” how things develop over time, as websites that provide value tend to develop longevity, trust and authority, and these are the websites that Google wants to ascribe higher search rankings to.
Social Signal Sources
Social sites that search engines like Google and Bing look to for measuring social signals include:
With almost 2 billion monthly active users, Facebook is the most influential social media community on the planet. It has been estimated that an average post can reach over 100,000 users, so even if no one is buying your products or services on Facebook, don’t be quick to dismiss the importance of Facebook in your business strategy, as Google uses social data and information from Facebook when determining your search rankings. In fact, research indicates that Facebook seems influence website rankings more than other social media sites.
(Number of active Facebook users. Source: Statista.com)
After Facebook, Twitter is the second largest social media site in the world, with over 600 million tweets sent out every day. Twitter has a significant amount of influence on the cybersphere and places great emphasis on the authority of tweets posted to followers over the number of tweets sent …
(Over 500 million tweets are sent every day. Source: InternetLiveStats.com)
Google’s own social site naturally carries a significant degree of authority online, even if it has not reached the same level of growth and take up as Twitter and Facebook.
(More people are actively using Google+ every year. Source: InternetLiveStats.com)
In addition to the big three listed above, there are a number of other social media networks that should not be ignored, such as Pinterest, LinkedIn, Digg, Reddit, and StumbleUpon.
(Social media sites provide important signals to search engines that can affect your rankings)
Social Signals – Which Ones Should You Be Paying Attention To?
Search engines track a number of social signals, including the following:
- Facebook – e.g. how many Facebook comments, likes, and shares you have, growth rate of shares and likes, etc.
- Twitter – e.g. how many tweets and retweets a web page has, the authority of the person sending a tweet, trending topics, etc.
- GooglePlus – e.g. who is following you (influential users), how many followers on Google+ your web page has accrued, amount and growth rate of +1s, etc.
- Other sites – e.g. number of Pins and re-Pins on Pinterest, comments on StumbleUpon, etc.
- Not so obvious signals – In addition to the above, there are other not so obvious signals that can indirectly influence search rankings and traffic. These include desirable and negative factors, such as backlinks from authority sites (not as relevant as they once were, but still a factor) [positive], and whether your site is deemed to be irrelevant by other users [negative].
As a business owner, it’s not only important to develop your social media presence, but also to be able to track, measure and analyze social campaigns in order to improve your business results.
(Using social media can improve your results online)
Social media monitoring allows you to gain insights into your brand’s overall visibility on social media, measure the impact of campaigns, avert crises, spy on your competition, and identify market opportunities. Additionally, monitoring social media can also provide valuable information about emerging trends and what clients and consumers are thinking about specific brands, businesses, products, or topics.
As a business intelligence tool, the ability to monitor activity on social media channels like blogging, internet forums, news sites, micro-blogging platforms like Twitter, Tumblr, etc., message boards, video sites, and user-generated content (UGC) is invaluable. Using social media monitoring as a form of business intelligence, however, is a complex undertaking, typically carried out by various people including marketing professionals, PR agencies, market research, social engagement and community staff, sales teams, and social media marketing agencies. Typically, smaller businesses do not have the budget to pay social media monitoring professionals to track their coverage in the media.
Fortunately many technology companies have developed many affordable tools that facilitate the monitoring of a variety of social media channels, enabling you to track what is being said online about your brand so you can react to conversations and interact with online users in a timely fashion.
To learn more about social media measurement tools that will help you identify new business opportunities, track competitor activity, see what conversations are taking place online that can affect your business,etc, refer to this article:
(Are you measuring social signals effectively?)
In this article, we discuss a simple, yet highly effective WordPress plugin for monitoring social media signals and growing your social media influence.
Let’s Review …
SocialMetricsPro – Social Media Analytics WordPress Plugin
SocialMetricsPro is an easy-to-use social analytics plugin for WordPress that is designed to help you grow your social media influence online in an uncomplicated way. It is built on a simple concept – Social Metrics Pro tracks and measures how each signal is performing and returns either a green or red indicator. The site owner’s goal is simple … turn more red squares into greens.
(A system that any website owner can follow … turn all the reds into greens!)
Colors indicate relative popularity. Posts that receive the most shares display green. Posts with low social media activity display amber or red.
The developers of SocialMetricsPro tested their plugin on a network of over two thousand websites over a period of 3 months. During this period, all they focused on was turning the “reds” to “greens” and then keeping their metrics on “green”. According to the plugin developers, they were able to notice a 360% improvement in traffic for their top 10 performing sites, 410% more keywords ranked in the first page of Google and they also experienced a 310% increase in revenues.
(According to SocialMetricsPro developers, focusing on improving your social media marketing can result in better search engine rankings, increased web traffic and more revenue!)
For more details, visit the plugin site here:
Here we have listed just a few of the benefits of using Social Metrics Pro to track Likes, Tweets, +1s, Pins and more right from your WP Dashboard on your website:
Fast & Easy Installation
SocialMetricsPro is quite easy to install. Simply upload the plugin file to your Plugins folder via your WordPress admin login and activate.
Simple To Use
As mentioned earlier, the site owner’s task is to convert more red squares into greens. The plugin tracks and measures social signals the way Google sees it so you know where to apply more effort and where to optimize.
Track Only Social Signals You Care About
Social Metrics Pro provides a powerful dashboard to track and monitor social activity from networks like Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Digg, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon, and Pinterest directly from your WordPress dashboard.
Social Metrics Pro helps you get answers to questions like:
- Which social networks work best for my site?
- Which social campaigns are performing the best on these social networks?
- Which are my most popular posts?
- And more …
With Social Metrics Pro, all of this information is available on-demand, with a single click.
(SocialMetricsPro actively monitors the sites that you care most about!)
Social Metrics Pro offers many great features to site owners. Here are a few:
- Quick and easy to install and implement. Ready to go to work in minutes.
- Widgets And Extensions Ready. You can extend the plugin’s functionality with built-in and external widgets. Access the latest information from your WP dashboard, add popular content to your sidebar or anywhere in your site using point-and-click widgets.
- 1-click updates. Update Social Metrics Pro in a single click via the WordPress Updates screen, or update the manually manually. You can also opt to receive an email notification whenever new versions are released.
- Low-resource consumption. Reporting is very quickly, consuming very little server resources. The tool also includes the amount of time used to retrieve information and the server memory used to gather and compile data.
Additional plugin features include:
- Sorting, Searching & Filtering Features: Social Metrics Pro allows you to sort and filter the information however you like. You can perform keyword searches to study posts related to certain topics, and even filter the results by publishing date, post authors, category, or post type.
- Export Data: You can export and plot filtered, sorted data and custom queries in Excel for further analysis. Data can be exported in tab-delimited and comma-separated file formats, and imported to the spreadsheet application of your choice.
(SocialMetricsPro is very simple to use … just change all red squares into greens!)
Below are a few of the testimonials and comments users have written about Social Metrics Pro:
”Our entire marketing strategy relies on social media. Each post on the site has viral potential, but we needed one place to see which social networks are performing the best for us…We went ahead and got the PRO Version of Social Metrics.” Syed Balkhi, Founder of List25 and WPBeginner.com
”I give Social Metrics a big thumbs up and I recommend it to anyone who’s serious about tracking their social sharing analytics.” James Johnson, Senior Editor at The Inquisitr
A practical, step-by-step guide on how to optimize your campaigns and improve your social media strategy (i.e. turn reds into greens) is also included.
Social Metrics Pro is well-supported, and comes with free lifetime updates and support, backed by a no-risk, 60-day, 100% money-back guarantee.
Social Metrics Pro plugin is available in two editions:
- Single Site License – This allows you to install SocialMetricsPro on a single website. Includes free lifetime updates and support. Cost = $27.00 (one-time).
- Multiple Sites License – This enables you to install Social Metrics Pro on unlimited web sites that you own. Includes free lifetime updates and free support. Price = $47.00 (one-time).
Please Note: The cost to purchase the product depends on whether there are any promotions or limited-time specials being offered. When we last checked, the software is selling for the amounts shown above. This may or may not be the actual price charged by the product author when you visit the site and you may be shown additional upsells or one-time offers after purchasing.
Check the plugin’s website for current pricing details:
SocialMetricsPro requires a self-hosted installation of WordPress and can be instantly downloaded after purchase.
We Highly Recommend This
As mentioned earlier, social signals impact search engine rankings and Google has been tracking social signals as part of its ranking algorithm.
No website owner can afford to ignore how important social media is to their online success. SocialMetricsPro solves the problem of how to find a simple, time-saving solution that gives WordPress users immediate feedback on the success of their social marketing strategy and guides them how and where to improve their results.
Social Metrics Pro is an ideal tool for beginners and advanced users alike. It tracks Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more directly from your WP admin area.
Get Social Metrics Pro if you own or manage WordPress sites and want to outperform your competitors on social media.
For more information, check out the plugin here: Social Metrics Pro – Social Media Analytics For WordPress