Social interactions like +1s on Google+, Facebook shares, likes, and comments, etc. are called social signals.
Google has been tracking social signals as part of its ranking algorithm for several years now.
Note: Google encourages businesses to build their social presence as a long-term investment to drive qualified traffic, rather than aiming for short-term benefits like search ranking placement. Matt Cutts, the head of Google’s web spam team has stated that Google takes a cautious approach when it comes to assessing social media signals, as so many things change quickly on social media. Without a full ‘map,’ Google is understandably reticent to assign more importance to the social sphere over other aspects of their search algorithm. In summary, Google’s strategy is a sensible one - “wait and see” how things develop over time, as websites that provide real value tend to develop longevity, trust and authority, and these are the websites that Google naturally wants to ascribe higher search rankings to.
Social Signal Sources
Social media sites that search engines like Google and Bing look to for measuring social signals include:
With almost 2 billion monthly active users, Facebook is the most dominant social community on the planet. It has been estimated that one great post on Facebook can reach over 100,000 users, so even if no one is buying your products or services on Facebook, you should not be quick to dismiss the importance of Facebook in your online business strategy, as Google uses data and information from Facebook to help determine your search rankings. In fact, research indicates that Facebook seems influence website rankings more than other social media sites, like Twitter orGoogle+.
(Number of monthly active Facebook users. Source: Statista.com)
After Facebook, Twitter is the second largest social media site in the world, with over 500 million tweets sent out each day. Twitter has a significant amount of influence on the cybersphere and places great importance on the authority of tweets posted to followers over the volume of tweets sent …
(Over 500 million tweets are sent each day. Source: InternetLiveStats.com)
Google’s own social site naturally carries great authority online, even if it has not reached the same level of growth and take up as Twitter and Facebook.
(More people are actively using Google+ every year. Source: InternetLiveStats.com)
In addition to the big 3 listed above, there are a number of other social sites worth getting to know, like Pinterest, LinkedIn, Reddit, Digg, and StumbleUpon.
(A number of social sites provide important signals to search engines that could affect your rankings)
Social Signals – Which Ones Should You Pay Attention To?
Social signals tracked by search engines like Bing and Google include:
- Facebook – e.g. how many Facebook likes, comments, and shares a person has, growth rate of likes and shares, etc.
- Twitter – e.g. how many tweets and retweets your web page has, how influential the person sharing your URL is, trending topics, etc.
- GooglePlus – e.g. who is following you (high profile users), how many followers on GooglePlus your web page has amassed, amount of adds and shares, etc.
- Other sites – e.g. growth rate of Pins and re-Pins on Pinterest, comments on Reddit, etc.
- Not so obvious signals – In addition to the above, there are other not so obvious signals that can influence search traffic and rankings. These include desirable and negative factors, such as links from authority sites (backlinks) (not as important as they once were, but still a factor) [positive], and whether your site is deemed to be of low quality by visitors [negative].
As a website owner, it’s important to not only develop your presence on major social networking websites, but also to be able to monitor, measure and analyze social signals in order to improve your business results.
(Use social media to help improve your results online)
Social media monitoring allows you to find insights into what people are saying about your company, products, or brand on social media, spot new market opportunities, help you take preventative measures against the spread of negative comments or feedback by embittered customers, spy on the competition, and measure the impact of your marketing campaigns. It can also provide you with valuable information about emerging trends and what consumers and clients think about specific products, topics, brands, or businesses.
As a tool for business intelligence, social monitoring is invaluable. Using social media monitoring as a form of business intelligence, however, is a complex undertaking, often carried out by a cross-section of groups that include market research, PR staff, marketing teams, professional sales reps, social engagement and community personnel, and agencies. Typically, smaller businesses don’t can’t afford to pay social media monitoring professionals to track their coverage in the media.
Fortunately many technology providers have developed tools to facilitate the active monitoring of a variety of social media channels, enabling you to identify consumer behavior around your brand or products allowing you to respond to conversations and engage with online users in a timely fashion.
We have created a comprehensive article where we explore many social media tracking tools and technologies that will help you identify new trends and opportunities, track competitor activity, see what conversations are taking place online that affect your business,etc. Go here for more info:
(Are you tracking your social signals effectively?)
This article explores a simple, yet highly effective social media monitoring plugin for a WordPress-based online business and growing your social media influence.
SocialMetricsPro – Social Analytics For WordPress
Social Metrics Pro is an easy-to-install social analytics premium WordPress plugin that is designed to make increasing your social media exposure uncomplicated. It is built on a simple concept – SocialMetricsPro measures how each signal is performing and returns either a red or green indicator. The user’s job is simple … change red squares into greens.
(A standard operating procedure that any user can follow … turn reds into greens!)
Colors indicate relative popularity. Posts that get shared the most show up green. Posts with low social media activity display amber or red.
The plugin developers tested SocialMetricsPro on a network of over two thousand websites over a period of three months. During this period, all they focused on was turning the “reds” to “greens” and then keeping their metrics on “green”. From these tests, they noticed a 360% improvement in traffic for their top 10 performing sites, 410% more keywords ranked in the first page of Google and they also experienced a 310% increase in revenues.
(According to Social Metrics Pro developers, improving your social media marketing campaigns can significantly affect your search rankings, web traffic and revenue!)
For more details go here:
Below are just some of the many benefits and advantages of using SocialMetricsPro to track Likes, Tweets, +1s, Pins and more directly from your WP Dashboard on your website:
Fast And Easy To Install And Set Up. Ready To Start Using In Very Little Time.
Social Metrics Pro is quite easy to install. Just upload the plugin file to your Plugins folder via your admin user account and activate.
Very Simple To Use
As mentioned earlier, the user’s goal is to turn all the reds into greens. Social Metrics Pro tracks and measures social media signals the way Google sees it so you know where to put more effort and where to optimize.
Track Only Social Signals From The Networks You Care About
Social Metrics Pro provides a powerful dashboard to monitor social activity across leading networks like GooglePlus, Facebook, Twitter, StumbleUpon, Digg, LinkedIn, and Pinterest.
SocialMetricsPro lets you easily answer questions like:
- Which social media networks work best for my site?
- Which social campaigns are performing the best on these social networks?
- Which of my posts are the most popular?
- And more …
With SocialMetricsPro, all of this information can be accessed with just one click.
(Social Metrics Pro actively tracks social signals from the social media sites that you care most about!)
SocialMetricsPro provides many unique features to WP users. Below we have listed some of those:
- Fast and easy to install and implement. Ready to start using in no time.
- Widgets & Extensions Ready. You can extend its functionality with external and built-in widgets. Access the latest stats from your WordPress dashboard, add socially popular content to your blog sidebar or anywhere on your site using point-and-click widgets.
- 1-click auto-updating functionality. You can update SocialMetricsPro in one click via the WordPress Updates screen, or update it manually. You can also choose to be notified via email whenever new versions are released.
- Low-resource consumption. Reporting is fast, using very little server resources. Report generation also displays the amount of time spent retrieving the information and the server resources consumed when gathering and compiling the data.
Additional plugin features include:
- Sort, Search & Filter Features: SocialMetricsPro allows you to sort, search and filter data however you like. You can perform keyword searches to study topic-related posts, and even filter the results by category, publishing date, post type, or post authors.
- Export Data: You can export filtered, sorted data and custom queries to Excel for further analysis. Data can be exported in tab-delimited and comma-separated file formats, and imported to Excel or the spreadsheet application of your choice.
(Social Metrics Pro is simple to use … just change more reds into greens!)
Below are just some testimonials and comments that users have submitted regarding the Social Metrics Pro plugin:
“Social Metrics Pro is the essential plugin we use to monitor how our content performs on social networks such as Twitter and Facebook. It’s simple, neat and works precisely as you would expect it. When we work with our clients such as T-Mobile, the .Me domain name registry and others, Social Metrics Pro is the plugin we use to create reports as well as keep track on each bit of content to optimize it for future performance.” Ivan Brezak Brkan, Editor of Netokracija.com, TechCrunch EU Contributor
”If you can’t measure it, you can’t improve.” Goes one of the most important sayings in business. And this is particularly true for tracking of your social mentions I found. There were two things that helped me a great deal to increase sharing after installing Social Metrics: First, I was able to see that some of my articles would perform much better on networks I wasn’t particularly using, such as StumbleUpon for example. Secondly, I could filter out the best performing content more easily and analyse what makes my readers share. Since then I have focused strongly on producing and replicating those posts that performed best.” Leo Widrich, Co-Founder of Buffer
SocialMetricsPro Plugin – Useful Tips
A practical, step-by-step guide showing you how to optimize your site for social media success (i.e. turn reds into greens) is also included.
Social Metrics Pro is well-supported, and comes with free support and free lifetime updates, backed by a risk-free, 60-day, 100% refund guarantee.
Product License Pricing
SocialMetricsPro plugin is available in two editions:
- Single Site License Edition – This license option lets you use Social Metrics Pro on one domain only. Includes free lifetime upgrades and support. Price = $27.00 (one-time).
- Multi-Site Licensing – This allows you to use SocialMetricsPro on all the sites that you own. Price includes free lifetime updates and free support. Cost = $47.00 (one-time).
Please Note: Pricing details of the product depends on whether there are any promotions or limited-time specials being offered. When we last checked, the software is selling for the prices shown above. This may or may not be the actual price set by the software author when you visit the product site and you may be shown additional upsells or one-time offers after your purchase.
Check the plugin’s website for the latest pricing details here:
Additional Plugin Information
Social Metrics Pro requires a self-hosted installation of WordPress and can be instantly downloaded after purchase.
The Bottom Line
As mentioned earlier, Google has been elevating the importance given to social signals as part of its ranking algorithm.
No website owner can afford to ignore how important social media is to their online success. SocialMetricsPro solves the problem of how to find a simple, time-saving solution that gives you immediate feedback on the success of your social marketing campaigns and shows you how to direct your efforts in order to improve your results.
Social Metrics Pro is ideal for beginners and advanced WordPress users alike. It tracks Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more right from your WP admin area.
We recommend getting this plugin if you own or manage WordPress sites and want to save money on outsourcing your social media campaigns.
To learn more, visit the plugin website: SocialMetricsPro – Social Analytics Plugin For WordPress