Social recommendations like +1s on GooglePlus, Facebook likes, etc. are called social signals.
With the increased importance of social media sites like Facebook and Twitter, search engines are now taking into account a range of social signals to help determine website ranking.
Note: Google encourages businesses to build their social presence as a long-term investment to drive qualified traffic, rather than aiming for short-term benefits like search ranking placement. Google’s own head of the web spam team Matt Cutts has stated that Google takes a cautious approach when it comes to social media, as so many things change quickly on social media. Without a reliable ‘map,’ Google is understandably reticent to assign more importance to the social sphere over other aspects of their search algorithm. In short, Google’s strategy is to “wait and see” how things develop over time, as sites that provide real value tend to develop longevity, trust and authority, and these are the sites that Google naturally wants to display higher in its search listings.
Social Signal Sources
Social sites that search engines like Google look to for measuring social signals include:
With almost 2 billion monthly active users, Facebook is the largest social network in the world. It has been estimated that a single post can reach over 100,000 users, so even if it seems like Facebook is not driving a ton of sales on your website, don’t be quick to dismiss Facebook as an important part of your business strategy, as Google uses social data and information from Facebook to help determine your search rankings. In fact, research shows that Facebook seems to have the most influence on website rankings of all social media sites.
(Number of monthly active Facebook users. Source: Statista.com)
After Facebook, Twitter is the second largest social media site in the world, with over half a billion tweets sent out each day. Twitter has a significant amount of influence on the cybersphere and places great importance on the authority of tweets posted to readers over the volume of tweets sent …
(Over 500 million tweets are sent every single day. Source: Internet Live Stats)
Google’s own social networking site naturally carries a significant degree of authority online, even if it has not reached the same level of growth and take up as Facebook and Twitter.
(More people are interacting on GooglePlus each month. Source: Internet Live Stats)
In addition to the big 3 listed above, there are a number of other social media networks worth paying attention to, like Pinterest, LinkedIn, Reddit, Digg, and StumbleUpon.
(Social media sites provide important signals that could affect your search rankings)
Social Signals – Which Ones Should You Pay Attention To?
Social signals tracked by search engines include:
- Facebook – e.g. how many Facebook comments, shares, and likes a person has, growth rate of shares and likes, etc.
- Twitter – e.g. tweets and retweets, how influential the person sending a tweet is, trending topics, etc.
- Google+ – e.g. who is following you (high profile users), how many people follow you, number of adds and shares, etc.
- Other sites – e.g. number of Pins and re-Pins on Pinterest, upvotes on Reddit, etc.
- Not so obvious signals – In addition to the above, there are other not so obvious social media-related factors that can influence search engine traffic and rankings. These include desirable and negative factors, such as improving clickthrough rate (CTR) [positive], and whether your site is deemed to be irrelevant by visitors [negative].
As a website owner, it’s not only important to develop your presence on major social networking websites, but also to be able to monitor and analyze social media marketing campaigns in order to improve your business results.
(Use social media to help improve your results online)
Social media monitoring allows you to gain insights into your company’s overall visibility on social media, spot new opportunities for engagement, measure the impact of your marketing campaigns, take preventative measures against the spread of negative comments or feedback by embittered customers, and assess competitor activity. It can also provide you with vital data about emerging trends and what consumers and clients think about specific businesses, products, topics, or brands.
As a business intelligence tool, social media signal monitoring is invaluable. Using social media monitoring as a form of business intelligence, however, is a complex undertaking, typically carried out by a cross-section of groups that include marketing teams, market researchers, digital reputation management (ORM) agencies, professional sales reps, social engagement and community staff, and social media marketing agencies. Typically, small businesses do not have the budget to pay social media monitoring professionals to continually track their coverage in the media.
Fortunately a number of providers have created affordable tools and solutions to facilitate the active tracking of a variety of social media channels, allowing you to identify what consumers are saying about your products or brand allowing you to respond to conversations and engage with consumers in a timely manner.
We have written a detailed article on social media measurement tools and technologies that are worth checking out and knowing about. For more details:
(Are you monitoring your social signals effectively?)
In this article, we discuss a simple social media monitoring plugin for WordPress and improving your social media presence online.
Social Metrics Pro – Social Analytics WordPress Plugin
Description Of Plugin
Social Metrics Pro is an easy-to-install social media analytics premium WordPress plugin that is designed to make increasing your social media influence uncomplicated. It is built on a simple premise – SocialMetricsPro measures and tracks how each signal is performing and returns either a red or green indicator. The site owner’s goal is simple … change all reds into greens.
(A system that any user can follow … turn all the reds into greens!)
Colors indicate relative popularity. Posts with the highest number of shares show up green. Posts with low social media activity display amber and red.
The developers of SocialMetricsPro tested their plugin on a network of 2,000+ sites over a period of three months. During this period, all they focused on was turning the “reds” to “greens” and then keeping their metrics on “green”. From these tests, they were able to notice a 360% improvement in traffic for their top 10 performing sites, 410% more keywords ranked in the first page of Google and their revenue increased by 310%.
(According to SocialMetricsPro developers, focusing on improving your social marketing can impact your search rankings, web traffic and revenue!)
Learn more here:
Here are just some of the benefits and advantages of using Social Metrics Pro to track Tweets, Likes, +1s, Pins and more right from your WP Dashboard on your web site:
Installation Is Easy
Social Metrics Pro is very easy to install. Just upload a zip folder containing the plugin files to your Plugin folder via your dashboard and activate.
Very Simple To Use
As mentioned earlier, your task is to change more reds into greens. Social Metrics Pro tracks and measures social signals so you know which campaigns need more effort and where to optimize.
Track The Signals You Care About
SocialMetricsPro provides a powerful dashboard to track and monitor social activity from networks like Facebook, Twitter, GooglePlus, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon, Digg, and Pinterest.
Social Metrics Pro helps you get answers to questions like:
- Which social media networks work best for my site?
- Which social campaigns are performing the best on these social networks?
- Which of my posts are the most popular on social media?
- And more …
With SocialMetricsPro, all this information is available on-demand, with a single click.
(SocialMetricsPro constantly monitors social signals from the social media sites that you care most about!)
SocialMetricsPro provides WP users with many features. Here are just a few:
- Quick and simple to install and configure. Be up and running in minutes.
- Social Metrics Pro Is Widgets And Extensions Ready. You can extend the plugin’s functionality using external and built-in widgets. Access the latest stats from your WordPress dashboard, display popular content on your sidebar or anywhere in your site using widgets.
- One-click updates. You can update the plugin in one click via the WordPress Updates page, or update it manually. You can also choose to receive email notifications whenever new versions are released.
- Plugin suits even the smallest hosting configuration. The plugin can generate social metrics reports fast, consuming little server resources. Report generation also displays the amount of time spent retrieving information and the server memory used to compile data.
Additional features include:
- Sorting, Searching & Filtering Features: SocialMetricsPro lets you sort, search and filter data as you like. You can perform keyword searches to study topic-related posts, and even filter the results by category, post type, publishing date, or post authors.
- Export Data To Excel: You can export and plot data in Excel for further analysis. Data can be exported in tab-delimited and comma-separated file formats, and imported to Excel or the spreadsheet application of your choice.
(Social Metrics Pro is really simple to use … just change more red squares into greens!)
Feedback From Users
Below are a few of the testimonials and comments customers have published about the Social Metrics Pro plugin:
“Social Metrics Pro is the essential plugin we use to monitor how our content performs on social networks such as Twitter and Facebook. It’s simple, neat and works precisely as you would expect it. When we work with our clients such as T-Mobile, the .Me domain name registry and others, Social Metrics Pro is the plugin we use to create reports as well as keep track on each bit of content to optimize it for future performance.” Ivan Brezak Brkan, Editor of Netokracija.com, TechCrunch EU Contributor
“Social Metrics Takes WordPress Stats to the Next Level.” Lorraine Ball, Creative Director, Roundpeg
A practical, step-by-step guide on how to optimize your campaigns and improve your social media strategy (i.e. how to turn reds into greens) is also included.
The plugin is well-supported, and comes with free support and free lifetime updates, backed by a no-risk, 60-day, complete money-back guarantee.
Social Metrics Pro plugin is available in two editions:
- Single Site Licensing – This option enables you to configure SocialMetricsPro on a single web site. Includes free lifetime updates and support. Cost = $27.00 (one-time).
- Multi-Site Edition – This lets you set up Social Metrics Pro on all the sites that you own. Price includes free lifetime upgrades and support. Cost = $47.00 (one-time).
Note: Current pricing for the Social Metrics Pro plugin depends on whether there are any promotions or limited-time special offers. When we last checked, the software is selling for the pricing shown above. This may not be the actual price set by the plugin author when you visit the website and you may be shown additional upsells or one-time offers after purchasing.
Check the plugin’s website for current pricing details:
Social Metrics Pro requires a self-hosted installation of WordPress and can be instantly downloaded after purchase.
Install This Plugin
As mentioned earlier, with the rise of social media sites like Twitter and Facebook, search engines like Bing and Google have started taking into account a range of social signals to help determine a site’s ranking.
No website owner can afford to ignore how important social media is to their online success. Social Metrics Pro solves the problem of how to find a simple, time-saving solution that gives you instant feedback on the success of your social marketing campaigns and shows you where to direct your efforts in order to improve your results.
SocialMetricsPro is ideal for beginners and advanced users alike. It tracks Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more right from your WordPress admin area.
We recommend this plugin if you own or manage WordPress sites and want to outperform your competitors on social media.
To learn more, visit the plugin website: Social Metrics Pro – Social Media Analytics Plugin For WordPress