Social interactions like Facebook comments, shares, and likes, +1s on GooglePlus, etc. are called social signals.
With the rise of social media sites like Facebook and Twitter, search engines like Google and Bing are now taking into account a range of social signals when determining website ranking.
Note: Google encourages businesses to build their brand on social media as a long-term investment to drive qualified traffic, rather than aiming for short-term benefits like search ranking placement. Google’s own head of its web spam team Matt Cutts has stated that Google takes a cautious approach when it comes to assessing social media signals, as social trends and relationships can change at a moment’s notice. Without a reliable ‘map,’ Google is understandably reticent to assign more importance to social signals over other aspects of their search algorithm. In summary, Google’s strategy is to “wait and see” how things develop over time, as websites that provide true value normally develop longevity, trust and authority, and these are the websites that Google naturally wants to display higher in its search listings.
Social Signal Sources
Social sites that search engines look to for measuring social signals include:
With almost 2 billion active users, Facebook is the most influential social media community in the world. It has been estimated that one great post can reach up to 150,000 users, so even if it seems like Facebook is not driving a massive amount of sales on your website, don’t be quick to dismiss the importance of Facebook in your online business strategy, as Google processes data and information from Facebook when determining your search rankings. In fact, research indicates that Facebook seems to have the most influence on search rankings of all social media sites.
(Number of monthly active Facebook users. Source: Statista.com)
After Facebook, Twitter is the next largest social media site in the world, with over 500 million tweets sent out every day. Twitter plays a significant role as a global influencer on the cybersphere and places great emphasis on tweeting posts that provide great value to readers over the number of tweets sent …
(Over 500 million tweets are sent every day. Source: Internet Live Stats)
Google’s own social media site naturally carries great authority online, even if it has not reached the same level of growth and take up as Facebook and Twitter.
(More people are interacting socially on GooglePlus every week. Source: InternetLiveStats.com)
In addition to the big 3 listed above, there are a number of other sites that provide important social signals, such as Pinterest, LinkedIn, Digg, Reddit, and StumbleUpon.
(Social media sites provide important signals that can affect your search rankings)
Which Social Signals Should You Pay Attention To?
Search engines like Bing and Google track various social signals, including:
- Facebook – e.g. how many Facebook shares, comments, and likes you have, growth rate of shares and likes, etc.
- Twitter – e.g. how many tweets and retweets a site has, the authority of the person tweeting, trending topics, etc.
- GooglePlus – e.g. who is following you (influential users), how many followers on Google+ a web page has, number of adds and shares, etc.
- Other sites – e.g. growth rate of Pins and re-Pins on Pinterest, comments on Digg, etc.
- Not so obvious signals – In addition to the above, there are other not so obvious social media-related factors that can indirectly influence search rankings and traffic. These include desirable and undesirable factors, such as improving clickthrough rate [positive], and whether your site is deemed to be irrelevant by site reviewers [negative].
As a business owner, it’s important to not only find ways to grow your social media presence, but also to be able to monitor, measure and analyze social signals in order to improve your business results.
(Using social media can help improve your business results)
Monitoring social media activity allows you to find insights into what people are saying about your company, services, or brand on social media, measure the impact of your marketing campaigns, spy on your competitors, help you take preventative measures if you detect negative comments or feedback by dissatisfied users, and identify new opportunities for engagement. It can also provide vital data about emerging trends and what clients and consumers are thinking about specific topics, businesses, brands, or products.
As a business intelligence tool, being able to track trends, social activity, and volume and sentiments of online conversations on social media is invaluable. Using social media monitoring as a form of business intelligence, however, is a complex undertaking, often carried out by a cross-section of people including marketing teams, market research, PR agencies, social marketing agencies, sales teams, and social engagement and community personnel. Typically, small businesses don’t can’t afford to pay social media monitoring professionals to track their coverage in the media.
Fortunately different providers have made available affordable tools to facilitate the active tracking of a variety of social media channels, allowing companies to identify consumer behavior around their brands so they can respond proactively to conversations and engage with consumers in various social media platforms.
We have created a detailed article where we explore many social media tracking tools and technologies that are worth checking out and knowing about. More information:
(Do you know how to effectively track social signals?)
This article discusses a simple plugin for WordPress websites and blogs for tracking social signals and growing your social media influence online.
Our Featured WordPress Product …
Social Metrics Pro – Social Analytics Plugin
SocialMetricsPro is an easy-to-install social analytics WordPress plugin that is designed to help you increase your social media influence in an uncomplicated way. It is built on a simple concept – Social Metrics Pro tracks and measures how each signal is performing and displays either a green or red indicator. The user’s task is simple … convert all the reds into greens.
(Social Metrics Pro provides a standard operating procedure that anyone can follow … turn all the reds into greens!)
Colors indicate relative popularity. This simplifies your social analytics. Posts with highest number of shares show up green. Posts with low social media activity show up amber or red.
The developers of Social Metrics Pro tested their plugin on a network of 2,000+ sites over a period of 3 months. During this period, all they focused on was turning the “reds” to “greens” and then keeping everything “green”. From these tests, they were able to notice that their top 10 best performing sites saw an improvement of up to 360% more traffic, 410% more keywords ranked in the first page of Google and they also experienced a 310% increase in revenues.
(According to SocialMetricsPro developers, improving your social marketing campaigns can result in higher search rankings, increased web traffic and more revenue!)
Go here to learn more about this plugin:
Below are just a few of the benefits and advantages of using SocialMetricsPro to track Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more from your WordPress Dashboard on your website:
Ready To Start Using In No Time
SocialMetricsPro installs like any regular WP plugin. Just upload it to your Plugins folder via your admin user area and activate.
Very Simple To Use
As mentioned earlier, the user’s task is to convert all the reds into greens. The plugin tracks and measures social signals the way Google sees it so you know which campaigns need more effort and which social marketing campaigns need to be better optimized.
Select Only Social Signals From Social Networks You Care About
Social Metrics Pro provides a powerful dashboard to monitor social media activity from social media networks like Google+, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Digg, StumbleUpon, and Pinterest.
Social Metrics Pro helps you get answers to questions like:
- Which social media networks work best for my site?
- Which social campaigns are performing the best on these social networks?
- Which are my most popular posts?
- And more …
With SocialMetricsPro, all this information is available on-demand, with just one click.
(Social Metrics Pro constantly tracks social signals from the social media sites that you care most about!)
SocialMetricsPro offers website owners with many features. Below we have listed just a few:
- Fast and simple to install and implement. Ready to go to work in no time.
- Social Metrics Pro Is Widgets And Extensions Ready. You can extend its functionality with built-in and external widgets. View updated information from your WordPress dashboard, display popular content on your sidebar or anywhere in your site using point-and-click widgets.
- One-click upgrading. You can update SocialMetricsPro with one click via the WordPress Updates page, or update the manually manually. You can also choose to be notified via email whenever new versions are released.
- Consumes very little server resources. Reporting is fast, using minimal server resources. The tool also displays the amount of time it took to retrieve information and the server resources used to compile data.
Additional plugin features include:
- Sort, Search And Filter Features: Social Metrics Pro lets you sort, search and filter information however you like. You can perform keyword searches to study posts related to certain topics, and even filter the results by post authors, category, publishing date, or by post type.
- Export Data To Excel: You can export filtered data and custom queries to Excel for further analysis. Data can be exported in tab-delimited and comma-separated file formats, and imported to the spreadsheet application of your choice.
(SocialMetricsPro is really simple to use … just convert all the reds into greens!)
Here are just a few of the testimonials that users have provided for the SocialMetricsPro plugin:
”Our entire marketing strategy relies on social media. Each post on the site has viral potential, but we needed one place to see which social networks are performing the best for us…We went ahead and got the PRO Version of Social Metrics.” Syed Balkhi, Founder of List25 and WPBeginner.com
”I give Social Metrics a big thumbs up and I recommend it to anyone who’s serious about tracking their social sharing analytics.” James Johnson, Senior Editor at The Inquisitr
SocialMetricsPro – Useful Tips
A step-by-step guide containing useful advice on how to optimize your campaigns and improve your social media strategy (i.e. turn reds into greens) is also included.
The plugin is well-supported, and comes with free support and free lifetime updates, backed by a no-risk, sixty-day, full money-back guarantee.
Social Metrics Pro plugin is available in two editions:
- Single Site Edition – This lets you activate Social Metrics Pro on a single site. It includes free lifetime upgrades and support. Cost = $27.00 (one-time).
- Unlimited Sites License – This option enables you to use SocialMetricsPro on unlimited websites that you own. Cost includes free lifetime upgrades and free support. Price = $47.00 (one-time).
Please Note: Pricing details of the product depends on whether there are any promotions or limited-time special offers. The above reflects the pricing at the time this content was written. This may not be the actual price set by the plugin developer when you visit the product site and there may be additional upsells or one-time offers after your purchase.
Check the plugin’s website for current pricing details:
SocialMetricsPro requires a self-hosted installation of WordPress and can be instantly downloaded after purchase.
Download The Product
As mentioned earlier, with the rise of social media sites like Facebook and Twitter, search engines are now taking into account a range of social signals to help determine website ranking.
No website owner can afford to ignore the importance of social media. Social Metrics Pro solves the problem of how to find a simple, time-saving solution that gives website owners immediate feedback on the success of their social media marketing strategy and shows them where and how to improve their results.
Social Metrics Pro is ideal for beginners and advanced WordPress users alike. It tracks Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more directly from your WP dashboard.
Get Social Metrics Pro if you own or manage WordPress sites and would like to avoid wasting resources on over-optimized networks.
To learn more, check out the plugin here: SocialMetricsPro – Social Media Analytics Plugin