Social recommendations like Facebook comments, +1s on GooglePlus, etc. are called social signals.
Social signals impact search engine rankings and Google has been tracking social signals as part of its ranking algorithm since late 2010.
Note: Google encourages businesses to build their social presence as a long-term investment to drive qualified traffic, rather than aiming for short-term benefits like search ranking placement. Google’s own head of the web spam team Matt Cutts has stated that Google takes a cautious approach when it comes to social signals, as so many things change quickly on social media. Without a reliable ‘map,’ Google is understandably reticent to assign more importance to social signals over other aspects of their search algorithm. In short, Google’s strategy is a sensible one - “wait and see” how things develop over time, as websites that provide real value tend to develop longevity, trust and authority, and these are the websites that Google wants to rank higher in its search engine results.
Social Signal Sources
Social media sites that search engines look to when measuring social signals include:
With almost 2 billion monthly active users, Facebook is the most influential social network on the planet. It has been estimated that a single post can reach over 100,000 users, so even if it seems like Facebook is not driving droves of customers to your site, don’t be quick to dismiss Facebook as an important part of your business strategy, as Google uses data and information from Facebook to help determine your search rankings. In fact, research indicates that Facebook seems to have the most influence on search engine rankings of all social media sites, like Google+ or Twitter.
(Number of monthly active Facebook users. Source: Statista.com)
After Facebook, Twitter is the second largest social media site in the world, with over half a billion tweets sent out every single day. Twitter plays a significant role as a global influencer on the cybersphere and places great emphasis on tweeting posts that provide great value to readers over the number of tweets sent …
(Over 500 million tweets are sent every day. Source: InternetLiveStats.com)
Google’s own social networking site naturally carries great authority online, even if it has not reached the same level of growth and take up as Twitter and Facebook.
(More people are interacting on GooglePlus each month. Source: Internet Live Stats)
In addition to the big 3 social sites listed above, there are a number of other sites worth paying attention to, like Pinterest, LinkedIn, Reddit, StumbleUpon, and Digg.
(A number of social media sites provide important signals to search engines that can affect your rankings)
Social Signals – Which Ones Should You Pay Attention To?
Social signals tracked by search engines like Bing and Google include:
- Facebook – e.g. how many Facebook likes, comments, and shares you have, growth rate of likes and shares, etc.
- Twitter – e.g. how many tweets and retweets a site has, the number of people sharing your posts, trending topics, etc.
- GooglePlus – e.g. who is following you (high profile users), how many followers on Google+ a URL has amassed, number and growth rate of +1s, etc.
- Other sites – e.g. growth rate of Pins and re-Pins on Pinterest, upvotes on StumbleUpon, etc.
- Not so obvious signals – In addition to the above, there are other not so obvious social media-related factors that can influence search rankings and traffic. These include desirable and negative factors, such as age and authority of your social media account [positive], and whether your site is deemed to be irrelevant by other users [negative].
As a website owner, it’s important to not only develop your social media presence, but also to be able to monitor, measure and analyze your social performance in order to improve your business results.
(Use social media to help improve your results online)
Monitoring social media activity allows you to find insights into what people are saying about your company, brand, or products on social media, be alerted to crises, spy on your competitors, identify potential market opportunities, and measure the impact of your marketing campaigns. It can also provide vital information about emerging trends and what consumers and clients think about specific brands, products, topics, or businesses.
As a business intelligence tool, social media signal monitoring is invaluable. Using social media monitoring as a form of business intelligence, however, is a complex undertaking, typically carried out by various groups that include market research, marketing teams, online reputation management companies, social media marketing agencies, social engagement and community personnel, and sales teams. Typically, smaller businesses do not can’t afford to pay media monitoring professionals to continually track their coverage in the media.
Fortunately many technology providers have developed a range of affordable and even free tools to facilitate the active monitoring of a variety of social media channels, allowing you to identify and even predict consumer behavior around your brand or products allowing you to respond proactively to conversations and engage with online users in various social media platforms.
Go here for a detailed article on social media measurement tools and technologies that will help you manage, measure, and analyze your social media marketing campaigns:
(Are you measuring your social signals effectively?)
This article discusses a simple, yet effective WordPress plugin for monitoring social signals and improving your social media presence online.
Social Metrics Pro – Social Analytics WordPress Plugin
Social Metrics Pro is an easy-to-use social media analytics WordPress plugin that is designed to help you grow your social media influence online in an uncomplicated way. It is built on a simple premise – the system measures and tracks how each signal is performing and returns either a red or green indicator. Your goal is to change all red squares into greens.
(SocialMetricsPro provides a system that any user can operate … turn reds into greens!)
Colors indicate relative popularity. Posts with the highest number of shares display green. Posts with low social media activity are colored amber or red.
The plugin developers tested SocialMetricsPro on a network of over two thousand websites over a period of three months. During this period, all they focused on was turning the “reds” to “greens” and then keeping their metrics on “green”. From these tests, they were able to notice a 360% improvement in traffic for their top 10 performing sites, 410% more keywords ranked in the first page of Google and they also experienced a 310% increase in revenues.
(According to the plugin developers, focusing on improving your social marketing can significantly affect your search rankings, traffic and revenue!)
For more details go here:
Here we have listed just some of the many benefits and advantages of using SocialMetricsPro to track Tweets, Likes, +1s, Pins and more right from your WP Dashboard on your website:
Fast And Simple To Install And Implement. Ready To Use In Minutes.
SocialMetricsPro installs like any WP plugin. Just upload a zip folder that contains the plugin to your Plugin folder via your dashboard and activate.
Very Simple To Use
As mentioned earlier, your job is to change all reds into greens. SocialMetricsPro tracks and measures social media signals the way Google sees it so you know where to invest more effort and which need to be better optimized.
Track Only Social Signals You Care About
SocialMetricsPro lets you monitor social media activity from networks like Google+, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon, Digg, and Pinterest directly from your WP admin area.
SocialMetricsPro helps you get answers to questions like:
- Which social media networks work best for my site?
- Which posts are performing the best on these social networks?
- Which are my most popular posts?
- And more …
With Social Metrics Pro, all of this information can be accessed with just one click.
(Social Metrics Pro actively tracks the sites that you care most about!)
SocialMetricsPro offers many great features to site owners. Below we have listed just a few:
- Fast and easy to install and set up. Be up and running in no time.
- Widgets & Extensions Ready. You can extend its functionality with built-in and external widgets. View the latest stats from your WP dashboard, display popular content on your blog sidebar or anywhere in your site using widgets.
- One-click upgrades. Update Social Metrics Pro in a single click via the WordPress Updates screen, or update the manually manually. You can also opt to be notified via email when a new version is released.
- Low server resource consumption. Reporting is fast, consuming little hosting resources. The tool also displays the amount of time used to retrieve the information and the server resources consumed when gathering the data.
Additional plugin features include:
- Sorting, Searching & Filtering Features: Social Metrics Pro allows you to sort and filter your data as you like. You can perform keyword searches to study topic-related posts, and even filter the results by post authors, publishing date, category, or by post type.
- Export Data: You can export and plot data in Excel for further analysis. Data can be exported in tab-delimited and comma-separated file formats, and imported to the spreadsheet application of your choice.
(Social Metrics Pro is very simple to use … just change red squares into greens!)
Here are a few of the testimonials that plugin customers have published about SocialMetricsPro:
”Social Metrics is the easiest way to see at a glance which posts have performed well on social networks.” Kevin Muldoon, Founder of WPMods.com
”Social Metrics is one of the recipes for Social WordPress. You can integrate it quickly and easily on your WordPress site to view your performance on social networks” Jean-Francois Arseneault, Arseneault Consultation
Social Metrics Pro Plugin – Tips
Social Metrics Pro comes with a practical, step-by-step guide on how to optimize your social media strategy (i.e. how to turn reds into greens).
SocialMetricsPro is well-supported, and users get lifetime upgrades and new releases for free with their purchase, backed by a no-risk, 60-day, 100% refund guarantee.
Product License Pricing
Social Metrics Pro plugin is available in two editions:
- Single Site License – This license lets you run Social Metrics Pro on 1 site only. Includes free lifetime upgrades and free support. Cost = $27.00 (one-time).
- Multi-Site Edition – This option allows you to install Social Metrics Pro on unlimited domains that you own. Includes free lifetime updates and support. Cost = $47.00 (one-time).
Note: Current pricing for the product can vary, depending on whether there are any promotions or limited-time specials being offered. Presently, the product retails for the pricing shown above. This may or may not be the actual pricing set by the software author when you visit the website and you may be shown additional upsells or one-time offers after purchasing.
Check the plugin’s website for current pricing details:
Social Metrics Pro requires a self-hosted installation of WordPress and can be instantly downloaded after purchase.
Get This Product
As mentioned earlier, Google has been tracking social signals as part of its ranking algorithm.
No website owner can afford to ignore how important social media is to their online success. SocialMetricsPro solves the problem of how to find a simple, time-saving solution that gives you immediate feedback on the success of your social marketing strategy and shows you where and how to improve your results.
Social Metrics Pro is ideal for beginners and advanced WordPress users alike. It tracks Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more directly from your WordPress dashboard.
We recommend getting Social Metrics Pro if you own or manage WordPress sites and would like to monitor which social networks are working for your business.
For complete details, check out the plugin here: SocialMetricsPro – Social Media Analytics Plugin For WordPress