Social interactions and recommendations like Facebook likes, shares, and comments, +1s on GooglePlus, etc. are called social signals.
Social signals impact search engine rankings and Google has been elevating the importance given to social signals as part of its ranking algorithm since late 2010.
Note: Google encourages website owners to build their brand on social media as a long-term investment to drive qualified traffic, rather than aiming for short-term benefits like search ranking placement. Matt Cutts, the head of Google’s own web spam team has stated that Google takes a cautious approach when it comes to social signals, as so many things change quickly on social media. Without a reliable ‘map,’ Google is understandably reticent to assign more importance to the social sphere over other aspects of their search algorithm. In short, Google’s strategy is a sensible one - “wait and see” how things develop over time, as sites that provide true value develop longevity, trust and authority, and these are the sites that Google naturally wants to ascribe higher search rankings to.
Social Signal Sources
Social sites that search engines like Google look to for measuring social signals include:
With almost 2 billion active users, Facebook is the most dominant social media network on the planet. It has been estimated that a single post on Facebook can reach up to 150,000 users, so even if no one is buying your products or services on Facebook, don’t be quick to dismiss the power of leveraging Facebook, as Google processes data and information from Facebook when determining your search rankings. In fact, Facebook seems to have the most influence on search engine rankings of all social media sites.
(Number of active Facebook users. Source: Statista.com)
After Facebook, Twitter is the next largest social media site in the world, with over half a billion tweets sent out every day. Twitter plays a significant role as a global influencer online and places great importance on the authority of tweets posted to readers over the volume of tweets sent …
(Over 500 million tweets are sent every day. Source: InternetLiveStats.com)
Google’s own social site naturally carries a significant degree of authority online, even if it has not reached the same level of growth and take up as Twitter and Facebook.
(More people are interacting socially on Google+ every day. Source: Internet Live Stats)
In addition to the big three social media giants listed above, there are a number of other social media networks that should not be ignored, like Pinterest, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon,Reddit, and Digg.
(A number of social sites provide important signals that can affect your search engine rankings)
Which Social Signals Should You Be Paying Attention To?
Social signals tracked by search engines like Google and Bing include:
- Facebook – e.g. how many Facebook comments, shares, and likes a person has, growth rate of shares and likes, etc.
- Twitter – e.g. tweets and retweets, how influential the person retweeting your posts is, trending topics, etc.
- Google+ – e.g. who is following you (influential users), how many followers on GooglePlus your URL has accrued, number and authority of +1s, etc.
- Other sites – e.g. number of Pins and re-Pins on Pinterest, comments on Reddit, etc.
- Other signals – In addition to the above, there are other not so obvious factors that can influence search engine traffic. These include positive and negative factors, such as links from authority sites (backlinks) (not as influential as they once were, but still a factor) [positive], and whether your site is deemed to be irrelevant by visitors [negative].
As a website owner, it’s important to not only grow your social media presence, but also to be able to track, measure and analyze social media in order to improve your business results.
(Using social media marketing can help improve your results online)
Social media monitoring allows you to gain insights into your brand’s overall visibility on social media, spot opportunities for engagement, measure the impact of campaigns, help you take preventative measures if you detect negative comments or feedback by embittered customers, and spy on your competitors. Additionally, social media monitoring can also provide you with valuable information about emerging trends and what consumers and clients think about specific businesses, brands, products, or topics.
As a business intelligence tool, social signal monitoring is invaluable. Using social media monitoring as a form of business intelligence, however, is a complex undertaking, typically carried out by various groups that include marketing teams, market researchers, digital reputation management (ORM) specialists, social media marketing agencies, social engagement and community staff, and professional sales reps. Typically, smaller businesses don’t have the budget to pay media monitoring professionals to track their coverage in the and actively monitor their digital reputation.
Fortunately various technology providers have developed affordable tools and solutions that facilitate the active monitoring of a wide range of social media channels, allowing companies to identify and even predict consumer behavior around their brands or products allowing them to respond proactively to conversations and interact with online users in various social media platforms.
We have created a comprehensive article where we explore over 30 social media measurement tools and technologies that you may want to check out. To learn more, visit this page:
(Are you looking for an effective way to track social signals?)
This article explores a simple, yet highly effective social monitoring tool for WordPress and growing your social media influence online.
Let’s Review …
SocialMetricsPro – Social Analytics WordPress Plugin
Social Metrics Pro is an easy-to-install social media analytics plugin for WordPress that is designed to help users increase their social media influence online in an uncomplicated way. It is built on a simple concept – Social Metrics Pro measures and tracks how each signal is performing and displays either a red or green indicator. The site owner’s task is simple … change more reds into greens.
(Social Metrics Pro provides a standard operating procedure that any website owner can follow … simply turn reds into greens!)
Colors indicate relative popularity. This simplifies your social analytics. Posts with highest number of shares show up green. Posts with low social media activity are colored amber and red.
The developers of Social Metrics Pro tested their plugin on a network of over two thousand sites over a period of 3 months. During this period, all they focused on was turning the “reds” to “greens” and then keeping everything “green”. According to the plugin developers, they were able to notice a 360% improvement in traffic for their top 10 performing sites, 410% more keywords ranked in the first page of Google and their revenue increased by 310%.
(According to Social Metrics Pro developers, focusing on improving your social marketing can can have a positive effect on your search engine rankings, web traffic and revenue!)
Go here to learn more:
Benefits Of Using Social Metrics Pro
Here we have listed just a few of the benefits and advantages of using Social Metrics Pro to track Tweets, Likes, +1s, Pins and more directly from your WordPress Dashboard on your web site:
Ready To Start Using In Minutes
Social Metrics Pro installs like any plugin. Just upload it to your Plugin folder via your WordPress dashboard and activate.
Simple To Use
As mentioned earlier, the user’s objective is to convert all the reds into greens. The plugin tracks and measures social media signals the way Google sees it so you know where to apply more effort and which need to be better optimized.
Choose Only Social Signals You Care About
Social Metrics Pro provides a powerful dashboard to track and monitor social activity across leading social networks like Twitter, GooglePlus, Facebook, StumbleUpon, LinkedIn, Digg, and Pinterest directly from your WordPress dashboard.
Social Metrics Pro helps you get answers to questions like:
- Which social networks work best for my site?
- Which social campaigns are performing the best on these social networks?
- Which of my posts are the most popular on social media?
- And more …
With Social Metrics Pro, all of this information can be accessed with just one click.
(Social Metrics Pro actively monitors the social sites that you care most about!)
SocialMetricsPro offers many features to WP users. Below we have listed just some of these:
- Fast and simple to install and configure. Be up and running in minutes.
- Widgets And Extensions Ready. You can extend its functionality with external and built-in widgets. View updated stats right on your WordPress admin bar, display social content on your blog sidebar or anywhere on your site using widgets.
- One-click updating. You can update Social Metrics Pro with one click via the WordPress Updates screen, or update it manually. You can also choose to receive email notifications when a new version is released.
- Minimal use of server resources. Metric reports are generated fast, consuming minimal server resources. The tool also displays the amount of time used to retrieve information and the server memory used to gather and compile the data.
Additional plugin features include:
- Sort, Search & Filter Features: Social Metrics Pro lets you sort, search and filter data as you like. You can perform keyword searches to study posts related to certain topics, and even filter the results by post authors, publishing date, post type, or by category.
- Export Data: You can export filtered, sorted data and custom queries to Excel for further analysis. Data can be exported in tab-delimited and comma-separated file formats, and imported to Excel or the spreadsheet application of your choice.
(SocialMetricsPro is simple to use … just change all reds into greens!)
Here are a few of the testimonials and comments that users have submitted regarding SocialMetricsPro:
”Social Metrics is the easiest way to see at a glance which posts have performed well on social networks.” Kevin Muldoon, Founder of WPMods.com
”I give Social Metrics a big thumbs up and I recommend it to anyone who’s serious about tracking their social sharing analytics.” James Johnson, Senior Editor at The Inquisitr
A practical guide containing useful advice on how to optimize your site for social media success (i.e. how to turn reds into greens) is also included.
Social Metrics Pro Support
The software is well-supported, and users get lifetime updates and new releases for free with their purchase, backed by a risk-free, 60-day, full money-back guarantee.
SocialMetricsPro plugin is available in two editions:
- Single Site License – This edition lets you configure Social Metrics Pro on 1 website only. It includes free lifetime upgrades and support. Cost = $27.00 (one-time).
- Multiple Sites Licensing – This allows you to run SocialMetricsPro on multiple websites that you own. Includes free lifetime updates and support. Cost = $47.00 (one-time).
Note: The cost to purchase Social Metrics Pro can vary, depending on whether there are any promotions or limited-time specials being offered. The price above was correct when this content was published. This may or may not be the actual pricing charged by the software developer when you visit the site and you may be shown additional upsells or one-time offers after you’ve purchased.
Check the plugin’s website for the current pricing here:
Social Metrics Pro requires a self-hosted installation of WordPress and can be instantly downloaded after purchase.
Download This Product
As mentioned earlier, with the increase in importance of social sites like Twitter and Facebook, search engines like Bing and Google are now taking into account various social signals to help determine a website’s ranking.
No website owner can afford to ignore how important social media is to their online success. SocialMetricsPro solves the problem of how to find a simple, time-saving solution that gives you immediate feedback on the success of your social marketing campaigns and guides you where and how to improve your results.
SocialMetricsPro is an ideal tool for beginners and advanced users alike. It tracks Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more right from your WP dashboard.
Get this plugin if you own or manage WordPress sites and want to save time and resources by focusing on under-optimized social media marketing campaigns.
For more details, check out the plugin here: Social Metrics Pro – Social Media Analytics Plugin