Social recommendations like Facebook comments, likes, and shares, Twitter retweets and mentions, etc. are called social signals.
With the rise of social sites like Facebook and Twitter, search engines now take into account social signals when determining a website’s ranking.
Note: Google encourages website owners to build their social presence as a long-term investment to drive qualified traffic, rather than aiming for short-term benefits like search ranking placement. Google’s own head of the web spam team Matt Cutts has stated that Google takes a cautious approach when it comes to assessing social media signals, as so many things change quickly on social media. Without a full ‘map,’ Google is understandably reticent to assign more importance to the social sphere over other aspects of their search algorithm. In short, Google’s strategy is a sensible one - “wait and see” how things develop over time, as websites that provide true value tend to develop longevity, trust and authority, and these are the websites that Google naturally wants to display higher in its search results.
Social Signals – Which Social Sites Matter?
Social sites that search engines like Google look to when measuring social signals include:
With almost 2 billion active users, Facebook is the largest social community in the world. Research shows that a single post can reach up to 150,000 users, so even if it seems like Facebook is not driving a massive amount of sales on your site, don’t be quick to dismiss the importance of Facebook in your business strategy, as Google processes social data and information from Facebook when determining your search rankings. In fact, Facebook seems influence website rankings more than other social media sites.
(Number of monthly active Facebook users. Source: Statista.com)
After Facebook, Twitter is the second largest social media site in the world, with over 500 million tweets sent out every single day. Twitter plays a significant role as a global influencer on the cybersphere and places great emphasis on tweeting posts that provide value to readers over the number of tweets sent …
(Over half a billion tweets are sent each day. Source: InternetLiveStats.com)
Google’s own social media site naturally carries great authority online, even if it is still a fledgling social community compared to sites like Facebook and Twitter.
(More people are interacting on Google+ each day. Source: Internet Live Stats)
In addition to the big three social sites listed above, there are a number of other social media networks that provide important social metrics, like Pinterest, LinkedIn, Digg, Reddit, and StumbleUpon.
(Social media sites provide important signals that could affect your search engine rankings)
Social Signals – Which Ones Should You Pay Attention To?
Search engines like Bing and Google track various social signals, including:
- Facebook – e.g. how many Facebook likes, shares, and comments a person has, growth rate of likes and shares, etc.
- Twitter – e.g. how many tweets and retweets your site has, how influential the person tweeting is, trending topics, etc.
- Google+ – e.g. who is following you (influential users), how many followers on GooglePlus your URL has amassed, number and authority of +1s, etc.
- Other sites – e.g. growth rate of Pins and re-Pins on Pinterest, upvotes on Digg, etc.
- Not so obvious signals – In addition to the above, there are other not so obvious social media-related signals that can influence search engine rankings. These include positive and undesirable factors, such as improving clickthrough rate [positive], and whether your site is deemed to be irrelevant by other users [negative].
As a business owner, it’s important to not only find ways to develop your presence on major social networking websites, but also to be able to track and analyze your social signals in order to improve your business results.
(Using social media can help improve your results online)
Social media monitoring allows you to gain insights into your company’s overall visibility on social media, measure the impact of campaigns, spot market opportunities, be alerted to crises, and assess competitor activity and market dominance. Additionally, social media monitoring can also provide you with valuable information about emerging trends and what clients and consumers are thinking about specific brands, topics, businesses, or products.
As a tool for business intelligence, being able to monitor volume and sentiments of social conversations, social activity, and trends on social media channels like blogging, forums, wikis, micro-blogging platforms, message boards, video sites, and user-generated content (UGC) is invaluable. Using social media monitoring as a form of business intelligence, however, is a complex undertaking, often carried out by various people including marketing teams, market researchers, digital reputation management (ORM) companies, social engagement and community staff, sales teams, and social marketing agencies. Typically, many small businesses don’t have the budget to pay social media monitoring professionals to continually track their coverage in the media.
Fortunately various technology providers have developed tools and solutions that facilitate the active tracking of a wide range of social media channels, enabling companies to identify consumer behavior around their products or brands so they can respond to conversations and engage with online users in various social media platforms.
We have written a detailed article about social media tracking tools that are worth knowing about. Go here to learn more:
(Are you looking for an effective tool that can help you monitor social signals?)
In this article, you will learn about a simple plugin for WordPress-powered websites and blogs for tracking social signals and increasing your social media influence online.
Social Metrics Pro – Social Media Analytics Plugin
Social Metrics Pro is an easy-to-install social analytics premium WordPress plugin that is designed to make increasing your social media exposure uncomplicated. It is built on a simple concept – Social Metrics Pro measures how each signal is performing and returns either a red or green indicator. Your goal is simple … convert red squares into greens.
(A standard operating procedure that anyone can operate … just turn reds into greens!)
Colors indicate relative popularity. Posts that get shared the most are colored green. Posts with low social media activity show up amber or red.
The plugin developers tested SocialMetricsPro on a network of 2,000+ websites over a period of 3 months. During this period, all they focused on was turning the “reds” to “greens” and then keeping everything “green”. According to the plugin developers, they noticed that their top 10 best performing sites saw an improvement of up to 360% more traffic, 410% more keywords ranked in the first page of Google and they also experienced a 310% increase in revenues.
(According to SocialMetricsPro developers, focusing on improving your social media marketing can result in higher search engine rankings, more web traffic and more revenue!)
Benefits Of Using Social Metrics Pro
Here we have listed just a few of the benefits of using Social Metrics Pro to track Likes, Tweets, +1s, Pins and more from your WordPress Dashboard on your site:
Easy, Quick & Simple To Install
SocialMetricsPro is quite easy to install. Simply upload the plugin file to your Plugins folder via your WordPress admin user login and activate.
Really Simple To Use
As mentioned earlier, the user’s goal is to change more red squares into greens. Social Metrics Pro tracks and measures social signals the way Google sees it so you know which campaigns need you to invest more effort and where to optimize.
Choose Only Signals From The Networks You Care About
SocialMetricsPro lets you track and monitor social media activity across leading networks like Facebook, GooglePlus, Twitter, StumbleUpon, Pinterest, Digg, and LinkedIn directly from your WordPress dashboard.
Social Metrics Pro helps you get answers to questions like:
- Which social media networks work best for my site?
- Which social campaigns are performing the best on these social networks?
- Which are my most popular posts?
- And more …
With Social Metrics Pro, all of this information is available on-demand, with just one click.
(Social Metrics Pro actively monitors social signals from the sites that you care most about!)
Social Metrics Pro Features
Social Metrics Pro offers many features to site owners. Here are just some of these:
- Quick and easy to install and use. Ready to use in very little time.
- SocialMetricsPro Is Widgets And Extensions Ready. You can extend its functionality with built-in and external widgets. View updated stats from your WP dashboard, display popular content on your blog sidebar or anywhere in your site using point-and-click widgets.
- One-click updates. Update Social Metrics Pro in a single click via the WordPress Updates screen, or update it manually. You can also opt to be notified via email whenever a new version is released.
- Plugin uses minimal hosting resources. Social reports are compiled fast, using little server resources. Reports also include the amount of time it took to retrieve the information and the server memory used to gather the data.
Additional plugin features include:
- Sorting, Searching & Filtering Features: SocialMetricsPro allows you to sort, search and filter your data as you like. You can perform keyword searches to study topic-related posts, and even filter the results by post authors, category, publishing date, or by post type.
- Export Data To Excel: You can export and plot filtered data and custom queries in Excel for further analysis. Data can be exported in tab-delimited and comma-separated file formats, and imported to the spreadsheet application of your choice.
(Social Metrics Pro is really simple to use … just convert red squares into greens!)
Below are just a few of the testimonials plugin customers have submitted regarding the SocialMetricsPro plugin:
”As with any cool plugin, it solves a very simple problem – how to view how well your WordPress posts are being promoted.” Adam Small, Marketing Tech Blog
”I give Social Metrics a big thumbs up and I recommend it to anyone who’s serious about tracking their social sharing analytics.” James Johnson, Senior Editor at The Inquisitr
Social Metrics Pro includes a practical guide on how to optimize your campaigns and improve your social media strategy (i.e. how to turn reds into greens).
Social Metrics Pro is well-supported, and users get lifetime software upgrades and new releases for free with their purchase, backed by a no-risk, sixty-day, full refund guarantee.
Social Metrics Pro plugin is available in two editions:
- Single Site Edition – This license option allows you to run SocialMetricsPro on one web site only. It includes free lifetime upgrades and free support. Price = $27.00 (one-time).
- Multi-Site Licensing – This allows you to activate Social Metrics Pro on multiple domains that you own. Includes free lifetime upgrades and free support. Cost = $47.00 (one-time).
Please Note: The cost to purchase the product depends on whether there are any promotions or limited-time special offers. When we last checked, the plugin sells for the pricing shown above. This may or may not be the actual pricing charged by the plugin developer when you visit the website and there may be additional upsells or one-time offers after your purchase.
Check the plugin’s website for the current pricing information:
SocialMetricsPro requires a self-hosted installation of WordPress and can be instantly downloaded after purchase.
Install The Product
As mentioned earlier, with the rising importance of social sites like Facebook and Twitter, search engines like Bing and Google now take into account various social signals when determining a website’s ranking.
No website owner can afford to ignore the importance of social media. Social Metrics Pro solves the problem of how to find a simple, time-saving solution that gives you instant feedback on the success of your social media marketing strategy and shows you how to improve your results.
SocialMetricsPro is ideal for beginners and advanced WordPress users alike. It tracks Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more directly from your WP admin area.
Get Social Metrics Pro if you own or manage WordPress sites and would like to save money on outsourcing your social media marketing campaigns or train your staff to manage your campaigns in-house.
For full details, visit the plugin website here: SocialMetricsPro – Social Analytics Plugin