Social interactions like Twitter mentions and retweets, Facebook shares, etc. are called social signals.
With the increased importance of social sites like Facebook and Twitter, search engines now take into account various social signals when determining website ranking.
Note: Google encourages website owners to build their brand on social media as a long-term investment to drive qualified traffic, instead of aiming for short-term benefits like search ranking placement. Google’s own head of the web spam team Matt Cutts has stated that Google takes a cautious approach when it comes to social signals, as social trends and relationships tend to change too quickly to fully map out. Without a perfect ‘map,’ Google is understandably reticent to assign too much importance to social signals over other aspects of their search algorithm. In summary, Google’s strategy is a sensible one - “wait and see” how things develop over time, as websites that provide real value tend to develop longevity, trust and authority, and these are the websites that Google wants to rank higher in its search engine results.
Social Signal Sources
Social media sites that search engines like Google look to for measuring social signals include:
With almost 2 billion monthly active users, Facebook is the most dominant social network in the world. It has been estimated that a single post on Facebook can reach over 100,000 users, so even if it seems like Facebook is not driving droves of customers to your website, don’t be quick to dismiss the importance of Facebook in your business strategy, as Google processes social data and information from Facebook to help determine your search rankings. In fact, Facebook seems influence website rankings more than other social media sites.
(Number of active Facebook users. Source: Statista.com)
After Facebook, Twitter is the next largest social media site in the world, with over 600 million tweets sent out every day. Twitter plays a significant role as a global influencer online and places great importance on tweeting posts that provide value to readers over the volume of tweets sent …
(Over half a billion tweets are sent every day. Source: InternetLiveStats.com)
As Google’s own social networking site, Google+ naturally carries great authority online, even if it is still a fledgling social community compared to sites like Facebook and Twitter.
(More people are actively using Google+ every year. Source: InternetLiveStats.com)
In addition to the big three listed above, there are a number of other social sites that should not be ignored, like Pinterest, LinkedIn, Digg, Reddit, and StumbleUpon.
(Social media sites provide important signals that can affect your search engine rankings)
Social Signals – Which Ones Should You Be Paying Attention To?
Search engines like Google and Bing track a number of social signals, including:
- Facebook – e.g. how many Facebook comments, shares, and likes you have, growth rate of likes and shares, etc.
- Twitter – e.g. how many tweets and retweets your URL has, the authority of the person tweeting, trending topics, etc.
- GooglePlus – e.g. who is following you (high profile users), how many followers on GooglePlus your web page has accrued, amount and authority of +1s, etc.
- Other sites – e.g. number of Pins and re-Pins on Pinterest, comments on Reddit, etc.
- Other signals – In addition to the above, there are other not so obvious factors that can indirectly influence search rankings and traffic. These include positive and undesirable factors, such as links from authority sites (backlinks) (not as important as they once were, but still a factor) [positive], and whether your site is deemed to be irrelevant by visitors [negative].
As a business owner, it’s not only important to find ways to grow your presence on major social networking websites, but also to be able to track and analyze your social signals in order to improve your business results.
(Using social media can improve your business results)
Tracking social media activity allows you to gain insights into what people are saying about your services, company, or brand on social media, identify market opportunities, spy on your competitors, measure the impact of campaigns, and take preventative measures against the spread of negative comments or feedback by disgruntled customers. It can also provide you with vital data about emerging trends and what consumers and clients are thinking about specific products, topics, brands, or businesses.
As a business intelligence tool, social media signal monitoring is invaluable. Using social media monitoring as a form of business intelligence, however, is a complex undertaking, often carried out by a cross-section of people including market researchers, marketing teams, PR companies, social engagement and community staff, professional sales reps, and social marketing agencies. Typically, small businesses don’t have the budget to pay social media monitoring professionals to continually track their coverage in the media.
Fortunately a number of providers have created affordable tools to facilitate the active monitoring of a variety of social media channels, allowing you to identify and even predict what is being said online about your brand so you can respond proactively to conversations and engage with consumers in various social media platforms.
We have written a comprehensive article about social media tracking tools and technologies that are worth knowing about. Go here to learn more:
(Are you looking for an effective tool that can help you measure social signals?)
This article explores a simple WordPress plugin for tracking social media signals and improving your social media exposure online.
Let’s Review …
Social Metrics Pro – Social Media Analytics Plugin
Description Of Plugin
SocialMetricsPro is an easy-to-use social media analytics WordPress plugin that is designed to help you increase your social media exposure online in an uncomplicated way. It is built on a simple concept – Social Metrics Pro tracks how each signal is performing and returns either a red or green indicator. The site owner’s goal is to convert red squares into greens.
(A system that any user can operate … turn reds into greens!)
Colors indicate relative popularity. This simplifies your social analytics with Excel-like conditional color formatting. Posts that get shared the most are colored green. Posts with low social media activity show up amber or red.
The developers of Social Metrics Pro tested their plugin on a network of over two thousand websites over a period of three months. During this period, all they focused on was turning the “reds” to “greens” and then keeping their metrics on “green”. From these tests, they noticed that their top 10 best performing sites saw an improvement of up to 360% more traffic, 410% more keywords ranked in the first page of Google and their revenue increased by 310%.
(According to the plugin developers, improving your social marketing can dramatically can have a dramatic effect on your search rankings, traffic and revenue!)
Here we have listed just some of the many benefits of using Social Metrics Pro to track Tweets, Likes, +1s, Pins and more from your WordPress Dashboard on your site:
Quick And Easy To Install And Implement. Ready To Use In Very Little Time.
SocialMetricsPro installs just like every other plugin. Simply upload the plugin file to your Plugins folder via your administrator section and activate.
Very Simple To Use
As mentioned earlier, your task is to turn all the reds into greens. SocialMetricsPro tracks and measures social signals so you know where to apply more effort and where to optimize.
Track Social Signals You Care About
SocialMetricsPro lets you monitor social activity across leading social media networks like GooglePlus, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, StumbleUpon, Digg, and LinkedIn.
SocialMetricsPro helps you get answers to questions like:
- Which social media networks work best for my site?
- Which social campaigns are performing the best on these social networks?
- Which are my most popular posts?
- And more …
With SocialMetricsPro, all this information can be accessed with just one click.
(Social Metrics Pro actively tracks social signals from the sites that you care most about!)
Social Metrics Pro offers web site owners with many features. Below we have listed a few:
- Fast and simple to install and use. Be up and running in minutes.
- Widgets And Extensions Ready. You can extend the plugin’s functionality using external and built-in widgets. Access the latest information right on your WP dashboard, display popular content on your blog sidebar or anywhere in your site using point-and-click widgets.
- One-click updates. Update SocialMetricsPro in a single click via the WordPress Updates page, or update the manually manually. You can also choose to receive email notifications when new plugin updates are released.
- Plugin uses very little hosting resources. The plugin generates reports very quickly, using very little hosting resources. The tool also displays the amount of time it took to retrieve the information and the server resources consumed when gathering and compiling data.
Additional features include:
- Sort, Search And Filter Features: Social Metrics Pro lets you sort and filter the information as you like. You can perform keyword searches to study posts related to certain topics, and even filter the results by post type, post authors, category, or by publishing date.
- Export Data To Excel: You can export and plot data in Excel for further analysis. Data can be exported in tab-delimited and comma-separated file formats, and imported to Excel or the spreadsheet application of your choice.
(Social Metrics Pro is simple to use … just change reds into greens!)
Testimonials From Customers
Below are a few of the testimonials and comments customers have submitted regarding Social Metrics Pro:
”Social Metrics is the easiest way to see at a glance which posts have performed well on social networks.” Kevin Muldoon, Founder of WPMods.com
“Social Metrics Takes WordPress Stats to the Next Level.” Lorraine Ball, Creative Director, Roundpeg
A step-by-step guide showing you how to optimize your campaigns and improve your social media strategy (i.e. how to turn reds into greens) is also included.
SocialMetricsPro is well-supported, and comes with free support and free lifetime updates, backed by a risk-free, 60-day, complete money-back guarantee.
Social Metrics Pro plugin is available in two editions:
- Single Site Licensing – This allows you to install SocialMetricsPro on one domain only. Includes free lifetime updates and support. Price = $27.00 (one-time).
- Multiple Sites License – This lets you activate Social Metrics Pro on unlimited web sites that you own. Cost includes free lifetime upgrades and support. Cost = $47.00 (one-time).
Please Note: The price of this product can vary, depending on whether there are any promotions or limited-time special offers. Presently, the plugin sells for the prices shown above. This may not be the actual price charged by the plugin seller when you visit the plugin site and you may be shown additional upsells or one-time offers after purchasing.
Check the plugin’s website for the latest pricing information:
Additional Product Info
SocialMetricsPro requires a self-hosted installation of WordPress and can be instantly downloaded after purchase.
Download This Plugin
As mentioned earlier, with the rising importance of social sites like Facebook and Twitter, search engines now take into account various social signals when determining a site’s ranking.
No website owner can afford to ignore the importance of social media. Social Metrics Pro solves the problem of how to find a simple, time-saving solution that gives you instant feedback on the success of your social media marketing strategy and guides you where and how to direct your efforts in order to improve your results.
Social Metrics Pro is an ideal tool for beginners and advanced users alike. It tracks Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more right from your WP admin area.
We recommend getting SocialMetricsPro if you own or manage WordPress sites and would like to avoid wasting resources on over-optimized networks.
For complete details, check out the plugin here: Social Metrics Pro – Social Analytics Plugin For WordPress