Social interactions like Facebook comments, shares, and likes, Twitter mentions and retweets, etc. are called social signals.
Google has been tracking social signals as part of its ranking algorithm for several years now.
Note: Google encourages website owners to build their social presence as a long-term investment to drive qualified traffic, instead of aiming for short-term benefits like search ranking placement. Matt Cutts, the head of Google’s web spam team has stated that Google takes a cautious approach when it comes to social media, as social trends and relationships can change at a moment’s notice. Without a reliable ‘map,’ Google is understandably reticent to assign too much importance to the social sphere over other aspects of their search algorithm. In summary, Google’s strategy is a sensible one - “wait and see” how things develop over time, as websites that provide true value develop longevity, trust and authority, and these are the sites that Google wants to rank higher in its search engine results.
Social Signal Sources
Social sites that search engines like Google look to for measuring social signals include:
With almost 2 billion active users, Facebook is the most influential social network on the planet. Research shows that a single post on Facebook can reach over 100,000 users, so even if no one is buying your products or services on Facebook, don’t be quick to dismiss Facebook as an important part of your online business strategy, as Google processes social data and information from Facebook to help determine your search rankings. In fact, Facebook seems to have the most influence on website rankings of all social media sites, like GooglePlus and Twitter.
(Number of monthly active Facebook users. Source: Statista.com)
After Facebook, Twitter is the second largest social media site in the world, with over 500 million tweets sent out every day. Twitter plays a significant role as a global influencer on the cybersphere and places great importance on the authority of tweets posted to readers over the number of tweets sent …
(Over half a billion tweets are sent every single day. Source: InternetLiveStats.com)
Google’s own social site naturally carries a significant degree of authority online, even if it has not reached the same level of growth and take up as Facebook and Twitter.
(More people are interacting socially on Google+ each month. Source: Internet Live Stats)
In addition to the big three social sites listed above, there are a number of other sites worth paying attention to, like Pinterest, LinkedIn, Digg, Reddit, and StumbleUpon.
(Social media sites provide important signals that can affect your search rankings)
Which Social Signals Should You Be Paying Attention To?
Search engines like Google and Bing track various social signals, including:
- Facebook – e.g. how many Facebook comments, likes, and shares you have, growth rate of likes and shares, etc.
- Twitter – e.g. how many tweets and retweets your site has, the number of people tweeting, trending topics, etc.
- Google+ – e.g. who is following you (influential users), how many followers on Google+ a web page has amassed, number and growth rate of +1s, etc.
- Other sites – e.g. growth rate of Pins and re-Pins on Pinterest, comments on Reddit, etc.
- Not so obvious signals – In addition to the above, there are other not so obvious signals that can indirectly influence search engine rankings and traffic. These include positive and negative factors, such as age and authority of your social media account [positive], and whether your site is deemed to be irrelevant by site reviewers [negative].
As a website owner, it’s not only important to develop your social media presence, but also to be able to track and analyze social media in order to improve your business results.
(Use social media marketing to improve your business results)
Social media monitoring allows you to find insights into what people are saying about your company, products, or brand on social media, help you take preventative measures if you detect negative comments or feedback by dissatisfied users, spy on your competition, measure the impact of campaigns, and spot potential market opportunities. Additionally, social media monitoring can also provide you with vital information about emerging trends and what consumers and clients are thinking about specific brands, topics, businesses, or products.
As a business intelligence tool, social signal monitoring is invaluable. Using social media monitoring as a form of business intelligence, however, is a complex undertaking, often carried out by a cross-section of groups that include marketing professionals, digital reputation specialists, market research, social engagement and community staff, social media marketing agencies, and professional sales reps. Typically, smaller businesses don’t can’t afford to pay social media monitoring professionals to track their coverage in the media.
Fortunately a number of service providers have created affordable tools and solutions that facilitate the active monitoring of a broad range of social media channels, allowing you to identify consumer behavior around your brand or products allowing you to react to conversations and engage with consumers in various social media platforms.
We have written a detailed article listing a number of social media measurement tools that are worth knowing about. Go here for more information:
(Can you track your social signals effectively?)
In this article, we explore a simple, yet highly effective WordPress plugin for monitoring social signals and increasing your social media influence.
Let’s Review …
Social Metrics Pro – Social Analytics Plugin For WordPress
Social Metrics Pro is an easy-to-install social analytics plugin that is designed to help users increase their social media influence online in an uncomplicated way. It is built on a simple premise – the plugin tracks how each signal is performing and returns either a red or green indicator. The site owner’s goal is simple … change all the reds into greens.
(A standard operating procedure that any user can operate … turn all the reds into greens!)
Colors indicate relative popularity. This simplifies your social analytics with Excel-like conditional color formatting. Posts that receive the most shares display green. Posts with low social media activity show up amber or red.
The plugin developers tested Social Metrics Pro on a network of over two thousand sites over a period of three months. During this period, all they focused on was turning the “reds” to “greens” and then keeping their metrics on “green”. According to the plugin developers, they noticed a 360% improvement in traffic for their top 10 performing sites, 410% more keywords ranked in the first page of Google and they also experienced a 310% increase in revenues.
(According to the plugin developers, improving your social media marketing campaigns can dramatically impact your search rankings, traffic and revenue!)
Go here to learn more about the plugin:
Below are just some of the many benefits and advantages of using SocialMetricsPro to track Tweets, Likes, +1s, Pins and more from your WP Dashboard on your site:
Quick And Easy To Install And Set Up. Be Up And Running In Very Little Time.
Social Metrics Pro is very easy to install. Just upload it to your Plugin folder via your WordPress dashboard and activate.
Simple To Use
As mentioned earlier, the user’s job is to change more reds into greens. The plugin tracks and measures social media signals the way Google sees it so you know which campaigns need you to invest more effort and where to optimize.
Choose Only Signals You Care About
SocialMetricsPro provides a powerful dashboard to track and monitor social media activity from networks like Twitter, Google+, Facebook, Digg, Pinterest, StumbleUpon, and LinkedIn directly from your WordPress dashboard.
SocialMetricsPro lets you easily answer questions like:
- Which social media networks work best for my site?
- Which social campaigns are performing the best on these social networks?
- Which of my posts are the most popular on social media?
- And more …
With SocialMetricsPro, all of this information is available on-demand, with just one click.
(SocialMetricsPro constantly tracks the sites that you care most about!)
SocialMetricsPro provides many features to WordPress users. Here are just some:
- Quick and easy to install and implement. Ready to go to work in no time.
- Widgets And Extensions Ready. You can extend its functionality using built-in and external widgets. Access the latest information from your WordPress admin bar, add social content to your blog sidebar or anywhere on your site using point-and-click widgets.
- One-click auto-update functionality. You can update Social Metrics Pro with one click via the WordPress Updates page, or update the manually manually. You can also choose to receive an email notification whenever a new version is released.
- Low-resource consumption. Social metrics reports are generated fast, consuming minimal hosting resources. Report generation also includes the amount of time used to retrieve information and the server memory consumed when gathering data.
Additional features include:
- Sort, Search & Filter Features: SocialMetricsPro allows you to sort and filter the information as you like. You can perform keyword searches to study topic-related posts, and even filter the results by post type, post authors, category, or publishing date.
- Export Data: You can export data to Excel for further analysis. Data can be exported in tab-delimited and comma-separated file formats, and imported to Excel or the spreadsheet application of your choice.
(Social Metrics Pro is really simple to use … just turn all the red squares into greens!)
Feedback From Users
Below are some of the testimonials that plugin users have published about the Social Metrics Pro plugin:
”Social Metrics is the easiest way to see at a glance which posts have performed well on social networks.” Kevin Muldoon, Founder of WPMods.com
”Social Metrics is one of the recipes for Social WordPress. You can integrate it quickly and easily on your WordPress site to view your performance on social networks” Jean-Francois Arseneault, Arseneault Consultation
Social Metrics Pro Plugin – Tips
A step-by-step guide containing useful advice on how to optimize your campaigns and improve your social media strategy (i.e. turn reds into greens) is also included.
Social Metrics Pro is well-supported, and comes with free lifetime updates and support, backed by a no-risk, sixty-day, complete money-back guarantee.
Social Metrics Pro plugin is available in two editions:
- Single Site Edition – This edition allows you to set up SocialMetricsPro on a single website. Includes free lifetime upgrades and free support. Cost = $27.00 (one-time).
- Multiple Sites License – This lets you install Social Metrics Pro on multiple sites that you own. Includes free lifetime upgrades and free support. Price = $47.00 (one-time).
Note: The price of the product can vary, depending on whether there are any promotions or limited-time specials being offered. Currently, the product retails for the amounts shown above. This may or may not be the actual pricing set by the product developer when you visit the plugin site and you may be shown additional upsells or one-time offers after purchasing.
Check the plugin’s website for current pricing details:
Social Metrics Pro requires a self-hosted installation of WordPress and can be instantly downloaded after purchase.
As mentioned earlier, social signals impact search engine rankings and Google has been elevating the importance given to social signals as part of its ranking algorithm.
No website owner can afford to ignore how important social media is to their online success. Social Metrics Pro solves the problem of how to find a simple, time-saving solution that gives you instant feedback on the success of your social media marketing campaigns and shows you how and where to improve your results.
Social Metrics Pro is ideal for beginners and advanced users alike. It tracks Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more right from your WP dashboard.
We recommend Social Metrics Pro if you own or manage WordPress sites and want to measure your social media marketing results professionally.
For more details, visit the plugin website: SocialMetricsPro – Social Media Analytics For WordPress