Social recommendations like Facebook shares, Twitter retweets and mentions, etc. are called social signals.
With the rising importance of social media sites like Twitter and Facebook, search engines like Bing and Google have started taking into account various social signals to help determine a website’s ranking.
Note: Google encourages website owners to build their social media presence as a long-term investment to drive qualified traffic, instead of aiming for short-term benefits like search ranking placement. Google’s own head of the web spam team Matt Cutts has stated that Google takes a cautious approach when it comes to social media, as so many things change quickly on social media. Without a perfect ‘map,’ Google is understandably reticent to assign more importance to social signals over other aspects of their search algorithm. In summary, Google’s strategy is to “wait and see” how things develop over time, as sites that provide value tend to develop longevity, trust and authority, and these are the websites that Google naturally wants to ascribe higher search rankings to.
Social Signals – Which Sites Matter?
Social media sites that search engines like Google and Bing look to when measuring social signals include:
With more than 1.5 billion monthly active users, Facebook is the largest social media network on the planet. It has been estimated that one great post can reach over 100,000 users, so even if no one seems to be buying your products or services on Facebook, don’t be quick to dismiss Facebook as an important part of your online business strategy, as Google processes data and information from Facebook to help determine your search rankings. In fact, research indicates that Facebook seems influence search rankings more than other social media sites, like Twitter orGoogle+.
(Number of monthly active Facebook users. Source: Statista.com)
After Facebook, Twitter is the next largest social media site in the world, with over half a billion tweets sent out every single day. Twitter has a significant amount of influence online and places great emphasis on tweeting posts that provide value to followers over the number of tweets sent …
(Over half a billion tweets are sent every single day. Source: InternetLiveStats.com)
Google’s own social media site naturally carries a significant degree of authority online, even if it has not reached the same level of growth and take up as Facebook and Twitter.
(More people are starting to interact socially on GooglePlus every week. Source: Internet Live Stats)
In addition to the big three listed above, there are a number of other social media networks that should not be ignored, such as Pinterest, LinkedIn, Reddit, Digg, and StumbleUpon.
(Social media sites provide important signals that can affect your search rankings)
Which Social Signals Should You Pay Attention To?
Social signals tracked by search engines include:
- Facebook – e.g. how many Facebook likes, shares, and comments you have, growth rate of likes and shares, etc.
- Twitter – e.g. how many tweets and retweets a URL has, the number of people sharing your URL, trending topics, etc.
- Google+ – e.g. who is following you (influential users), how many followers on Google+ a URL has amassed, spread rate of adds and shares, etc.
- Other sites – e.g. growth rate of Pins and re-Pins on Pinterest, comments on Digg, etc.
- Not so obvious signals – In addition to the above, there are other not so obvious factors that can influence search traffic. These include positive and undesirable factors, such as backlinks from authority sites (not as important as they once were, but still a factor) [positive], and whether your site is deemed to be of poor quality by visitors [negative].
As a business owner, it’s important to not only find ways to grow your presence on major social networking websites, but also to be able to monitor, measure and analyze social marketing performance in order to improve your business results.
(Using social media marketing can improve your results online)
Monitoring social media activity allows you to find insights into your brand’s overall visibility on social media, be alerted to impending crises, measure the impact of campaigns, identify opportunities for engagement, and spy on the competition. Additionally, social media monitoring can also provide you with vital data about emerging trends and what clients and consumers think about specific businesses, brands, products, or topics.
As a business intelligence tool, social signal monitoring is invaluable. Using social media monitoring as a form of business intelligence, however, is a complex undertaking, often carried out by various people including market researchers, PR companies, marketing professionals, agencies, social engagement and community personnel, and professional sales reps. Typically, smaller businesses do not can’t afford to pay social media monitoring professionals to continually track their coverage in the media.
Fortunately a number of providers have made available tools that facilitate the active monitoring of a variety of social media channels, allowing companies to identify consumer behavior around their products or brands so they can respond proactively to conversations and interact with consumers in a timely manner.
We have written a comprehensive article about social media measurement tools that are worth knowing about. Go here to learn more:
(Are you searching for an effective tool that can help you track your social signals?)
This article explores a simple social tracking tool for your online presence and improving your social media presence online.
Let’s Review …
SocialMetricsPro – Social Media Analytics WordPress Plugin
Social Metrics Pro is an easy-to-use social media analytics plugin for WordPress that is designed to make increasing your social media influence online uncomplicated. It is built on a simple concept – SocialMetricsPro tracks how each signal is performing and displays either a green or red indicator. The user’s goal is to change more red squares into greens.
(Social Metrics Pro provides a standard operating procedure that anyone can operate … turn reds into greens!)
Colors indicate relative popularity. Posts with highest number of shares show up green. Posts with low social media activity show up amber or red.
The plugin developers tested Social Metrics Pro on a network of over two thousand sites over a period of 3 months. During this period, all they focused on was turning the “reds” to “greens” and then keeping everything “green”. According to the plugin developers, they noticed that their top 10 best performing sites saw an improvement of up to 360% more traffic, 410% more keywords ranked in the first page of Google and their revenue increased by 310%.
(According to the plugin developers, improving your social media marketing campaigns can significantly can have a positive effect on your search rankings, web traffic and revenue!)
Go here to learn more about the plugin:
Benefits Of Using Social Metrics Pro
Here we have listed just some of the many benefits of using Social Metrics Pro to track Likes, Tweets, Pins, +1s and more right from your WP Dashboard on your web site:
Ready To Use In Minutes
Social Metrics Pro installs like every other WordPress plugin. Just upload a zip file containing the plugin files to your Plugin folder via your dashboard and activate.
Really Simple To Use
As mentioned earlier, your goal is to convert all red squares into greens. SocialMetricsPro tracks and measures social signals so you know which social marketing campaigns need more effort and where to optimize.
Track Only Social Signals You Care About
Social Metrics Pro lets you monitor social activity across leading networks like Twitter, GooglePlus, Facebook, Digg, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and StumbleUpon.
Social Metrics Pro helps you get answers to questions like:
- Which social networks work best for my site?
- Which posts are performing the best on these social networks?
- Which of my posts are the most popular?
- And more …
With Social Metrics Pro, all of this information is available on-demand, with just one click.
(SocialMetricsPro constantly monitors the sites that you care most about!)
Social Metrics Pro provides WordPress users with many features. Here are a few:
- Quick and simple to install and use. Ready to start using in minutes.
- SocialMetricsPro Is Widgets And Extensions Ready. You can extend its functionality with external and built-in widgets. SocialMetricsPro shows updated stats from your WordPress admin bar, add social content to your blog sidebar or anywhere in your site using widgets.
- One-click updates. Update SocialMetricsPro in a single click via the WordPress Updates screen, or update the manually manually. You can also opt to receive email notifications whenever a new version is released.
- Plugin even works on the smallest hosting. The plugin can generate social metrics reports very quickly, consuming little server resources. The tool also includes the amount of time used to retrieve information and the server resources used to gather data.
Additional plugin features include:
- Sorting, Searching And Filtering Features: Social Metrics Pro lets you sort, search and filter information however you like. You can perform keyword searches to study topic-related posts, and even filter the results by post type, post authors, publishing date, or by category.
- Export Data To Excel: You can export and plot filtered, sorted data and custom queries in Excel for further analysis. Data can be exported in tab-delimited and comma-separated file formats, and imported to Excel or the spreadsheet application of your choice.
(Social Metrics Pro is very simple to use … just convert all the red squares into greens!)
Below are just a few of the testimonials plugin users have submitted regarding Social Metrics Pro:
”Our entire marketing strategy relies on social media. Each post on the site has viral potential, but we needed one place to see which social networks are performing the best for us…We went ahead and got the PRO Version of Social Metrics.” Syed Balkhi, Founder of List25 and WPBeginner.com
”I give Social Metrics a big thumbs up and I recommend it to anyone who’s serious about tracking their social sharing analytics.” James Johnson, Senior Editor at The Inquisitr
A step-by-step, practical guide on how to optimize your social media strategy (i.e. how to turn reds into greens) is also included.
SocialMetricsPro is well-supported, and users get lifetime upgrades and new releases for free with their purchase, backed by a no-risk, sixty-day, 100% money-back guarantee.
SocialMetricsPro plugin is available in two editions:
- Single Site Licensing – This allows you to install Social Metrics Pro on a single website. Price includes free lifetime upgrades and support. Cost = $27.00 (one-time).
- Multi-Site Licensing – This license lets you set up Social Metrics Pro on unlimited websites that you own. It includes free lifetime upgrades and free support. Price = $47.00 (one-time).
Note: The cost to purchase the product depends on whether there are any promotions or limited-time special offers. The pricing above was correct when this article was published. This may not be the actual price set by the software seller when you visit the site and you may be shown additional upsells or one-time offers after purchasing.
Check the plugin’s website for the current pricing:
Additional Product Info
SocialMetricsPro requires a self-hosted installation of WordPress and can be instantly downloaded after purchase.
Install This Plugin
As mentioned earlier, with the increase in importance of social sites like Facebook and Twitter, search engines like Google and Bing are now taking into account social signals when determining a website’s ranking.
No website owner can afford to ignore the importance of social media. Social Metrics Pro solves the problem of how to find a simple, time-saving solution that gives users immediate feedback on the success of their social marketing strategy and guides them where to direct their efforts in order to improve their results.
Social Metrics Pro is an ideal tool for beginners and advanced WordPress users alike. It tracks Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more directly from your WordPress dashboard.
We recommend getting Social Metrics Pro if you own or manage WordPress sites and want to save money on outsourcing your social marketing or train your staff to manage your campaigns in-house.
For more information, visit the plugin website here: SocialMetricsPro – Social Media Analytics Plugin For WordPress