Social interactions like Facebook comments, shares, and likes, +1s on GooglePlus, etc. are called social signals.
With the rise of social media sites like Twitter and Facebook, search engines now take into account a range of social signals when determining website ranking.
Note: Google encourages businesses to build their social presence as a long-term investment to drive qualified traffic, instead of aiming for short-term benefits like search ranking placement. Google’s own head of the web spam team Matt Cutts has stated that Google takes a cautious approach when it comes to assessing social media signals, as so many things change quickly on social media. Without a reliable ‘map,’ Google is understandably reticent to assign more importance to the social sphere over other aspects of their search algorithm. In short, Google’s strategy is a sensible one - “wait and see” how things develop over time, as sites that provide value tend to develop longevity, trust and authority, and these are the sites that Google wants to rank higher in its search engine.
Social Signal Sources
Social sites that search engines like Google and Bing look to when measuring social signals include:
With almost 2 billion monthly active users, Facebook is the most dominant social community in the world. It has been estimated that an average post can reach over 100,000 users, so even if no one is buying your products or services on Facebook, don’t be quick to dismiss the importance of Facebook in your business strategy, as Google processes data and information from Facebook when determining your search rankings. In fact, research shows that Facebook seems to have the most influence on website rankings of all social media sites, like Twitter orGooglePlus.
(Number of monthly active Facebook users. Source: Statista.com)
After Facebook, Twitter is the second biggest social media site in the world, with over half a billion tweets sent out each day. Twitter has a significant amount of influence online and places great importance on the authority of tweets posted to readers over the number of tweets sent …
(Over 500 million tweets are sent each day. Source: Internet Live Stats)
As Google’s own social media site, Google+ naturally carries great authority online, even if it has not reached the same level of growth and take up as Twitter and Facebook.
(More people are interacting socially on GooglePlus each week. Source: InternetLiveStats.com)
In addition to the big three listed above, there are a number of other social sites that should not be ignored, like Pinterest, LinkedIn, Reddit, Digg, and StumbleUpon.
(A number of social sites provide important signals to search engines that can affect your rankings)
Which Social Signals Should You Pay Attention To?
Social signals tracked by search engines like Bing and Google include the following:
- Facebook – e.g. how many Facebook comments, likes, and shares a person has, growth rate of likes and shares, etc.
- Twitter – e.g. how many tweets and retweets your site has, how influential the person sending a tweet is, trending topics, etc.
- Google+ – e.g. who is following you (influential users), how many followers on Google+ your site page has amassed, authority of adds and shares, etc.
- Other sites – e.g. number of Pins and re-Pins on Pinterest, comments on Reddit, etc.
- Not so obvious signals – In addition to the above, there are other not so obvious factors that can indirectly influence search engine traffic. These include desirable and undesirable factors, such as improving clickthrough rate [positive], and whether your site is deemed to be of low quality by site reviewers [negative].
As a business owner, it’s important to not only grow your presence on major social networking websites, but also to be able to monitor, measure and analyze social media in order to improve your business results.
(Using social media marketing can help improve your business results)
Social media monitoring allows you to gain insights into your brand’s overall visibility on social media, be alerted to disasters, spy on the competition, measure the impact of your marketing campaigns, and identify potential opportunities for engagement. It can also provide vital data about emerging trends and what consumers and clients think about specific topics, brands, businesses, or products.
As a tool for business intelligence, being able to track social media is invaluable. Using social media monitoring as a form of business intelligence, however, is a complex undertaking, often carried out by various groups that include market researchers, online reputation specialists, marketing teams, social engagement and community staff, agencies, and professional sales reps. Typically, many small businesses do not have the budget to pay media monitoring professionals to continually track their coverage in the media.
Fortunately various technology companies have developed affordable tools and solutions that facilitate the active tracking of a variety of social media channels, enabling companies to track consumer behavior around their brands or products allowing them to respond proactively to conversations and interact with online users in a timely manner.
We have written a comprehensive article on social media measurement tools and technologies that are worth knowing about here:
(Are you measuring your social signals effectively?)
This article explores a simple, yet highly effective social monitoring tool for WordPress and growing your social media influence online.
Let’s Review …
SocialMetricsPro – Social Media Analytics WordPress Plugin
SocialMetricsPro is an easy-to-install social media analytics premium WordPress plugin that is designed to help you improve your social media presence online in an uncomplicated way. It is built on a simple concept – Social Metrics Pro tracks how each signal is performing and displays either a red or green indicator. Your job is simple … convert reds into greens.
(SocialMetricsPro provides a standard operating procedure that anyone can follow … simply turn reds into greens!)
Colors indicate relative popularity. Posts that receive the most shares show up green. Posts with low social media activity are colored amber and red.
The developers of SocialMetricsPro tested their plugin on a network of 2,000+ sites over a period of three months. During this period, all they focused on was turning the “reds” to “greens” and then keeping their metrics on “green”. From these tests, they were able to notice a 360% improvement in traffic for their top 10 performing sites, 410% more keywords ranked in the first page of Google and they also experienced a 310% increase in revenues.
(According to SocialMetricsPro developers, focusing on improving your social media marketing campaigns can result in higher search engine rankings, more traffic and more revenue!)
Go here to learn more about the plugin:
Below are just some of the many benefits of using SocialMetricsPro to track Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more from your WP Dashboard on your web site:
Quick And Easy To Install And Implement. Be Up And Running In Minutes.
SocialMetricsPro is very easy to install. Just upload a zip folder that contains the plugin to your Plugin folder via your WordPress dashboard and activate.
Really Simple To Use
As mentioned earlier, the user’s goal is to convert all red squares into greens. The plugin tracks and measures social media signals the way Google sees it so you know where to invest more effort and which social marketing campaigns need to be better optimized.
Select Only Signals From Social Networks You Care About
Social Metrics Pro lets you centrally track and monitor social media activity across leading social networks like Facebook, Twitter, GooglePlus, Digg, Pinterest, LinkedIn, and StumbleUpon directly from your WordPress dashboard.
Social Metrics Pro lets you easily answer questions like:
- Which social media networks work best for my site?
- Which social campaigns are performing the best on these social networks?
- Which are my most popular posts?
- And more …
With SocialMetricsPro, all this information can be accessed with just one click.
(SocialMetricsPro actively monitors the sites that you care most about!)
Social Metrics Pro Features
SocialMetricsPro offers a number of features to WordPress users. Below we have listed some of those features:
- Fast and easy to install and use. Be up and running in minutes.
- Widgets And Extensions Ready. You can extend the plugin’s functionality with built-in and external widgets. Access updated stats right on your WordPress admin bar, add popular content to your blog sidebar or anywhere in your site using point-and-click widgets.
- One-click updates. You can update the plugin with a single click via the WordPress Updates screen, or update the manually manually. You can also choose to receive email notifications whenever new plugin updates are released.
- Plugin uses very little hosting resources. Reports are compiled in seconds, consuming very little hosting resources. The tool also displays the amount of time used to retrieve information and the server resources used to gather the data.
Additional plugin features include:
- Sort, Search And Filter Features: Social Metrics Pro lets you sort and filter information as you like. You can perform keyword searches to study posts related to certain topics, and even filter the results by post type, category, publishing date, or by post authors.
- Export Data: You can export and plot filtered, sorted data and custom queries in Excel for further analysis. Data can be exported in tab-delimited and comma-separated file formats, and imported to Excel or the spreadsheet application of your choice.
(Social Metrics Pro is very simple to use … just change more reds into greens!)
Here are some of the testimonials that plugin customers have provided for the Social Metrics Pro plugin:
”As with any cool plugin, it solves a very simple problem – how to view how well your WordPress posts are being promoted.” Adam Small, Marketing Tech Blog
”Social Metrics is one of the recipes for Social WordPress. You can integrate it quickly and easily on your WordPress site to view your performance on social networks” Jean-Francois Arseneault, Arseneault Consultation
SocialMetricsPro Plugin – Useful Tips
A practical guide containing useful advice on how to optimize your social media strategy (i.e. turn reds into greens) is also included.
SocialMetricsPro is well-supported, and users get lifetime updates and new releases for free with their purchase, backed by a risk-free, sixty-day, complete refund guarantee.
Social Metrics Pro plugin is available in two editions:
- Single Site License – This license option lets you use Social Metrics Pro on 1 domain only. Includes free lifetime upgrades and support. Cost = $27.00 (one-time).
- Unlimited Sites License Edition – This option allows you to configure Social Metrics Pro on all sites that you own. Includes free lifetime upgrades and free support. Cost = $47.00 (one-time).
Please Note: The price of SocialMetricsPro can vary, depending on whether there are any promotions or limited-time special offers. The pricing shown above was correct when this review was written. This may not be the actual pricing charged by the product seller when you visit the product website and there may be additional upsells or one-time offers after you’ve purchased.
Check the plugin’s website for the latest price:
Social Metrics Pro requires a self-hosted installation of WordPress and can be instantly downloaded after purchase.
The Bottom Line
As mentioned earlier, with the rising importance of social media sites like Facebook and Twitter, search engines like Google and Bing now take into account a range of social signals to help determine a site’s ranking.
No website owner can afford to ignore the importance of social media. SocialMetricsPro solves the problem of how to find a simple, time-saving solution that gives you immediate feedback on the success of your social marketing campaigns and guides you how to direct your efforts in order to improve your results.
Social Metrics Pro is ideal for beginners and advanced WordPress users alike. It tracks Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more directly from your WordPress dashboard.
We recommend getting Social Metrics Pro if you own or manage WordPress sites and want to track your social signals automatically.
For more information, check out the plugin here: SocialMetricsPro – Social Analytics Plugin For WordPress