Social interactions like Facebook shares, Twitter mentions and retweets, etc. are called social signals.
Google has been tracking social signals as part of its ranking algorithm for several years now.
Note: Google encourages businesses to build their brand on social media as a long-term investment to drive qualified traffic, rather than aiming for short-term benefits like search ranking placement. Google’s own head of its web spam team Matt Cutts has stated that Google takes a cautious approach when it comes to social media, as so many things change quickly on social media. Without a reliable ‘map,’ Google is understandably reticent to assign too much importance to the social sphere over other aspects of their search algorithm. In summary, Google’s strategy is to “wait and see” how things develop over time, as websites that provide real value develop longevity, trust and authority, and these are the websites that Google naturally wants to display higher in its search listings.
Social Signal Sources
Social sites that search engines like Google and Bing look to for measuring social signals include:
With almost 2 billion active users, Facebook is the most influential social community in the world. It has been estimated that one great post can reach up to 150,000 users, so even if it seems like Facebook is not driving droves of customers to your website, you should not be quick to dismiss the importance of Facebook in your business strategy, as Google processes data and information from Facebook when determining your search rankings. In fact, Facebook seems influence website rankings more than other social media sites, like GooglePlus and Twitter.
(Number of active Facebook users. Source: Statista.com)
After Facebook, Twitter is the next biggest social media site in the world, with over half a billion tweets sent out every single day. Twitter plays a significant role as a global influencer online and places great importance on the authority of tweets posted to readers over the amount of tweets sent …
(Over half a billion tweets are sent every single day. Source: Internet Live Stats)
As Google’s own social networking site, Google+ naturally carries a significant degree of authority online, even if it has not reached the same level of growth and take up as Facebook and Twitter.
(More people are starting to interact socially on GooglePlus each week. Source: Internet Live Stats)
In addition to the big 3 listed above, there are a number of other social sites that should not be ignored, such as Pinterest, LinkedIn, Reddit, Digg, and StumbleUpon.
(A number of social media sites provide important signals to search engines that can affect your rankings)
Social Signals – Which Ones Should You Be Paying Attention To?
Search engines track various social signals, including the following:
- Facebook – e.g. how many Facebook comments, likes, and shares a person has, growth rate of likes and shares, etc.
- Twitter – e.g. how many tweets and retweets a site has, the authority of the person sharing the information, trending topics, etc.
- Google+ – e.g. who is following you (influential users), how many followers on GooglePlus a web page has amassed, amount and authority of +1s, etc.
- Other sites – e.g. growth rate of Pins and re-Pins on Pinterest, upvotes on Digg, etc.
- Other signals – In addition to the above, there are other not so obvious social media-related signals that can influence search rankings and traffic. These include positive and negative factors, such as backlinks from authority sites (not as important as they once were, but still a factor) [positive], and whether your site is deemed to be of poor quality by site reviewers [negative].
As a website owner, it’s important to not only develop your social media presence, but also to be able to monitor, measure and analyze your social media in order to improve your business results.
(Using social media can help improve your results online)
Tracking social media activity allows you to find insights into your company’s online visibility on social media, measure the impact of your marketing campaigns, spy on your competitors, be alerted to disasters, and spot opportunities for engagement. Additionally, monitoring social media can also provide you with valuable information about emerging trends and what clients and consumers are thinking about specific topics, products, businesses, or brands.
As a business intelligence tool, the ability to track social activity, online conversations, and trends on social media is invaluable. Using social media monitoring as a form of business intelligence, however, is a complex undertaking, often carried out by various people including marketing professionals, market research, PR companies, social media marketing agencies, professional sales reps, and social engagement and community personnel. Typically, smaller businesses don’t can’t afford to pay social media monitoring professionals to track their coverage in the media.
Fortunately different providers have made available a range of affordable and even free tools to facilitate the active tracking of a wide range of social media channels, allowing companies to track consumer behavior around their brands or products so they can respond to conversations and engage with online users in various social media platforms.
We have written a detailed article where we explore many social media tracking tools and technologies that will help you identify new trends and opportunities, track competitor activity, see what online conversations are taking place that affect your business,etc. Go here for more information:
(Are you measuring social signals effectively?)
In this article, we discuss a simple WordPress plugin for tracking social media signals and increasing your social media influence.
Let’s Review …
Social Metrics Pro – Social Media Analytics WordPress Plugin
SocialMetricsPro is an easy-to-install social media analytics WordPress plugin that is designed to help users improve their social media exposure online in an uncomplicated way. It is built on a simple premise – SocialMetricsPro tracks how each signal is performing and returns either a red or green indicator. The user’s goal is to convert all the red squares into greens.
(A system that any user can follow … turn reds into greens!)
Colors indicate relative popularity. This simplifies your social analytics. Posts with highest number of shares show up green. Posts with low social media activity display amber or red.
The plugin developers tested SocialMetricsPro on a network of over two thousand sites over a period of 3 months. During this period, all they focused on was turning the “reds” to “greens” and then keeping their metrics on “green”. According to the plugin developers, they noticed that their top 10 best performing sites saw an improvement of up to 360% more traffic, 410% more keywords ranked in the first page of Google and they also experienced a 310% increase in revenues.
(According to the plugin developers, improving your social media marketing can significantly impact your search engine rankings, web traffic and revenue!)
To learn more about this plugin go here:
Below we have listed just some of the benefits and advantages of using SocialMetricsPro to track Likes, Tweets, +1s, Pins and more from your WP Dashboard on your web site:
Fast And Simple To Install And Set Up. Be Up And Running In Minutes.
SocialMetricsPro is really easy to install. Simply upload it to your Plugin folder via your WordPress admin login and activate.
Very Simple To Use
As mentioned earlier, your objective is to convert more reds into greens. Social Metrics Pro tracks and measures social signals so you know where to invest more effort and where to optimize.
Track Signals You Care About
SocialMetricsPro provides a powerful dashboard to track and monitor social activity from social media networks like GooglePlus, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Digg, Pinterest, and StumbleUpon.
SocialMetricsPro helps you get answers to questions like:
- Which social networks work best for my site?
- Which social campaigns are performing the best on these social networks?
- Which of my posts are the most popular on social media?
- And more …
With Social Metrics Pro, all of this information is available on-demand, with just one click.
(SocialMetricsPro actively monitors social signals from the social media sites that you care most about!)
Social Metrics Pro provides a number of great features to website owners. Below we have listed just some:
- Quick and simple to install and set up. Be up and running in minutes.
- Social Metrics Pro Is Widgets And Extensions Ready. You can extend the plugin’s functionality using external and built-in widgets. Access the latest stats from your WordPress dashboard, display popular content on your blog sidebar or anywhere in your site using point-and-click widgets.
- 1-click upgrades. Update the plugin in a single click via the WordPress Updates screen, or update it manually. You can also opt to be notified via email when new plugin updates are released.
- Minimal usage of server resources. Reporting is very quickly, using minimal server resources. The tool also displays the amount of time used to retrieve information and the server resources used to compile the data.
Additional features include:
- Sort, Search And Filter Features: Social Metrics Pro allows you to sort, search and filter information as you like. You can perform keyword searches to study posts related to certain topics, and even filter the results by post authors, publishing date, category, or by post type.
- Export Data To Excel: You can export data to Excel for further analysis. Data can be exported in tab-delimited and comma-separated file formats, and imported to the spreadsheet application of your choice.
(Social Metrics Pro is really simple to use … just turn all reds into greens!)
Feedback From Customers
Here are a few of the testimonials and feedback customers have provided for the SocialMetricsPro plugin:
”Our entire marketing strategy relies on social media. Each post on the site has viral potential, but we needed one place to see which social networks are performing the best for us…We went ahead and got the PRO Version of Social Metrics.” Syed Balkhi, Founder of List25 and WPBeginner.com
”Social Metrics is one of the recipes for Social WordPress. You can integrate it quickly and easily on your WordPress site to view your performance on social networks” Jean-Francois Arseneault, Arseneault Consultation (WordCamp Montreal 2011)
SocialMetricsPro Plugin – Tips
Social Metrics Pro comes with a practical, step-by-step guide showing you how to optimize your campaigns and improve your social media strategy (i.e. how to turn reds into greens).
Social Metrics Pro Plugin Support
Social Metrics Pro is well-supported, and comes with free lifetime updates and support, backed by a no-risk, 60-day, full money-back guarantee.
Product License Pricing
Social Metrics Pro plugin is available in two editions:
- Single Site Licensing – This allows you to configure SocialMetricsPro on 1 website only. It includes free lifetime upgrades and support. Cost = $27.00 (one-time).
- Unlimited Sites License – This enables you to activate SocialMetricsPro on multiple websites that you own. It includes free lifetime updates and support. Cost = $47.00 (one-time).
Please Note: Pricing details of the Social Metrics Pro software depends on whether there are any promotions or limited-time specials being offered. The above reflects the price at the time this content was published. This may not be the actual price set by the product seller when you visit the plugin site and there may be additional upsells or one-time offers after your purchase.
Check the plugin’s website for the latest pricing information here:
Additional Product Information
SocialMetricsPro requires a self-hosted installation of WordPress and can be instantly downloaded after purchase.
As mentioned earlier, with the rising importance of social media sites like Twitter and Facebook, search engines like Bing and Google now take into account a range of social signals to help determine website ranking.
No website owner can afford to ignore the importance of social media. SocialMetricsPro solves the problem of how to find a simple, time-saving solution that gives you instant feedback on the success of your social marketing strategy and guides you how and where to direct your efforts in order to improve your results.
Social Metrics Pro is ideal for beginners and advanced users alike. It tracks Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more directly from your WP dashboard.
We recommend getting Social Metrics Pro if you own or manage WordPress sites and want to make social media marketing campaigns work for you.
For complete details, visit the plugin website here: SocialMetricsPro – Social Media Analytics Plugin For WordPress