Social interactions and recommendations like Facebook shares, Twitter retweets and mentions, etc. are called social signals.
Google has been elevating the importance given to social signals as part of its ranking algorithm for several years now.
Note: Google encourages website owners to build their brand on social media as a long-term investment to drive qualified traffic, rather than aiming for short-term benefits like search ranking placement. Google’s own head of its web spam team Matt Cutts has stated that Google takes a cautious approach when it comes to social signals, as social trends and relationships can change at a moment’s notice. Without a perfect ‘map,’ Google is understandably reticent to assign too much importance to social signals over other aspects of their search algorithm. In short, Google’s strategy is a sensible one - “wait and see” how things develop over time, as sites that provide value develop longevity, trust and authority, and these are the sites that Google wants to display higher in its search listings.
Social Signal Sources
Social media sites that search engines look to for measuring social signals include:
With more than 1.5 billion active users, Facebook is the most influential social community on the planet. Research shows that an average post can reach up to 150,000 users, so even if it seems like Facebook is not driving droves of customers to your website, you should not be quick to dismiss the power of leveraging Facebook, as Google processes social data and information from Facebook to help determine your search rankings. In fact, Facebook seems influence search rankings more than other social media sites.
(Number of monthly active Facebook users. Source: Statista.com)
After Facebook, Twitter is the next biggest social media site in the world, with over half a billion tweets sent out every single day. Twitter plays a significant role as a global influencer on the cybersphere and places great importance on the authority of tweets posted to readers over the number of tweets sent …
(Over 500 million tweets are sent every single day. Source: InternetLiveStats.com)
Google’s own social site naturally carries great authority online, even if it has not reached the same level of growth and take up as Twitter and Facebook.
(More people are interacting on GooglePlus every month. Source: Internet Live Stats)
In addition to the big three social media giants listed above, there are a number of other sites worth paying attention to, such as Pinterest, LinkedIn, Digg, StumbleUpon, and Reddit.
(Social media sites provide important signals that could affect your search engine rankings)
Social Signals – Which Ones Should You Pay Attention To?
Social signals tracked by search engines include the following:
- Facebook – e.g. how many Facebook shares, comments, and likes you have, growth rate of shares and likes, etc.
- Twitter – e.g. how many tweets and retweets a site has, the number of people tweeting, trending topics, etc.
- GooglePlus – e.g. who is following you (influential users), how many people follow you, amount of adds and shares, etc.
- Other sites – e.g. number of Pins and re-Pins on Pinterest, upvotes on Reddit, etc.
- Not so obvious signals – In addition to the above, there are other not so obvious social media-related factors that can influence search engine traffic. These include positive and negative factors, such as age and authority of your social media account [positive], and whether your site is deemed to be irrelevant by site reviewers [negative].
As a website owner, it’s not only important to find ways to grow your presence on major social networking websites, but also to be able to monitor and analyze social signals in order to improve your business results.
(Use social media to help improve your results online)
Monitoring social media activity allows you to gain insights into your brand’s overall visibility on social media, measure the impact of your marketing campaigns, identify potential opportunities for engagement, be alerted to impending crises, and spy on your competitors. It can also provide valuable information about emerging trends and what consumers and clients are thinking about specific businesses, brands, topics, or products.
As a tool for business intelligence, being able to monitor conversations and social activity on social media is invaluable. Using social media monitoring as a form of business intelligence, however, is a complex undertaking, typically carried out by a cross-section of people including market research, marketing teams, online reputation management (ORM) agencies, agencies, social engagement and community staff, and sales teams. Typically, small businesses do not can’t afford to pay a social media monitoring service to track their coverage in the media.
Fortunately a number of technology companies have developed tools and solutions that facilitate the tracking of a variety of social media channels, allowing you to identify what is being said online about your brand or products allowing you to respond to conversations and interact with consumers in a timely manner.
We have written a comprehensive article about social media measurement tools that are worth knowing about. For more info, see this article:
(Are you looking for an effective tool that can help you track social signals?)
This article explores a simple social media monitoring tool for your site and improving your social media presence online.
Social Metrics Pro – Social Media Analytics Plugin For WordPress
Social Metrics Pro is an easy-to-install social analytics plugin that is designed to help you increase your social media influence in an uncomplicated way. It is built on a simple concept – Social Metrics Pro tracks how each signal is performing and displays either a green or red indicator. Your job is simple … turn more red squares into greens.
(SocialMetricsPro provides a standard operating procedure that anyone can follow … turn reds into greens!)
Colors indicate relative popularity. Posts that get shared the most are colored green. Posts with low social media activity show up amber or red.
The plugin developers tested Social Metrics Pro on a network of over two thousand websites over a period of 3 months. During this period, all they focused on was turning the “reds” to “greens” and then keeping everything “green”. From these tests, they noticed a 360% improvement in traffic for their top 10 performing sites, 410% more keywords ranked in the first page of Google and they also experienced a 310% increase in revenues.
(According to Social Metrics Pro developers, improving your social media marketing can positively affect your search rankings, web traffic and revenue!)
Learn more about this plugin here:
Benefits Of Using SocialMetricsPro
Here are just some of the many benefits of using Social Metrics Pro to track Likes, Tweets, +1s, Pins and more from your WP Dashboard on your site:
Social Metrics Pro installs like any WordPress plugin. Just upload the plugin file to your Plugins folder via your WordPress dashboard and activate.
Very Simple To Use
As mentioned earlier, the user’s job is to change more red squares into greens. Social Metrics Pro tracks and measures social media signals so you know which campaigns require investing more effort and where to optimize.
Track Signals From Social Networks You Care About
SocialMetricsPro provides a powerful dashboard to track and monitor social activity from social networks like Twitter, GooglePlus, Facebook, Pinterest, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon, and Digg directly from your WP dashboard.
SocialMetricsPro lets you easily answer questions like:
- Which social media networks work best for my site?
- Which posts are performing the best on these social networks?
- Which are my most popular posts?
- And more …
With Social Metrics Pro, all this information is available on-demand, with just one click.
(SocialMetricsPro actively monitors social signals from the social sites that you care most about!)
SocialMetricsPro offers WordPress users with many features. Below we have listed just some of these:
- Fast and easy to install and configure. Ready to use in minutes.
- Widgets And Extensions Ready. You can extend its functionality using external and built-in widgets. Social Metrics Pro shows updated stats from your WordPress admin bar, add popular content to your blog sidebar or anywhere on your site using widgets.
- 1-click updates. You can update the plugin in one click via the WordPress Updates page, or update it manually. You can also opt to receive an email notification whenever new versions are released.
- Minimal hosting resources use. Reporting is fast, consuming very little hosting resources. The tool also includes the amount of time spent retrieving the information and the server memory consumed when gathering the data.
Additional features include:
- Sorting, Searching And Filtering Features: SocialMetricsPro lets you sort, search and filter data as you like. You can perform keyword searches to study topic-related posts, and even filter the results by publishing date, post type, post authors, or by category.
- Export Data To Excel: You can export data to Excel for further analysis. Data can be exported in tab-delimited and comma-separated file formats, and imported to Excel or the spreadsheet application of your choice.
(Social Metrics Pro is really simple to use … just convert all reds into greens!)
Feedback From Product Customers
Below are a couple of the testimonials that customers have written about Social Metrics Pro:
”Social Metrics is the easiest way to see at a glance which posts have performed well on social networks.” Kevin Muldoon, Founder of WPMods.com
“Social Metrics Takes WordPress Stats to the Next Level.” Lorraine Ball, Creative Director, Roundpeg
SocialMetricsPro – Tips
A practical guide containing useful advice on how to optimize your campaigns and improve your social media strategy (i.e. how to turn reds into greens) is also included.
SocialMetricsPro Plugin Support
Social Metrics Pro is well-supported, and users get lifetime updates and new releases for free with their purchase, backed by a no-risk, 60-day, full refund guarantee.
SocialMetricsPro plugin is available in two editions:
- Single Site Licensing – This allows you to configure SocialMetricsPro on a single web site. Price includes free lifetime updates and support. Price = $27.00 (one-time).
- Multi-Site License – This lets you activate Social Metrics Pro on multiple web sites that you own. Cost includes free lifetime upgrades and support. Cost = $47.00 (one-time).
Please Note: Current pricing for SocialMetricsPro can vary, depending on whether there are any promotions or limited-time special offers. The above reflects the price at the time this review was published. This may or may not be the actual pricing set by the plugin seller when you visit the website and there may be additional upsells or one-time offers after you’ve purchased.
Check the plugin’s website for the latest price here:
Additional Product Information
Social Metrics Pro requires a self-hosted installation of WordPress and can be instantly downloaded after purchase.
The Bottom Line
As mentioned earlier, social signals impact search engine rankings and Google has been elevating the importance given to social signals as part of its ranking algorithm.
No website owner can afford to ignore how important social media is to their online success. Social Metrics Pro solves the problem of how to find a simple, time-saving solution that gives you instant feedback on the success of your social marketing strategy and shows you how to direct your efforts in order to improve your results.
SocialMetricsPro is an ideal tool for beginners and advanced WordPress users alike. It tracks Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more directly from your WordPress admin area.
Get this plugin if you own or manage WordPress sites and would like to track your social signals automatically.
To learn more, visit the plugin website: Social Metrics Pro – Social Analytics Plugin For WordPress