Social interactions and recommendations like Facebook likes, shares, and comments, Twitter retweets and mentions, etc. are called social signals.
With the rising importance of social media sites like Facebook and Twitter, search engines like Google and Bing have started taking into account a range of social signals to help determine a website’s ranking.
Note: Google encourages website owners to build their brand on social media as a long-term investment to drive qualified traffic, instead of aiming for short-term benefits like search ranking placement. Google’s own head of its web spam team Matt Cutts has stated that Google takes a cautious approach when it comes to social signals, as social trends and relationships tend to change too quickly to fully map out. Without a perfect ‘map,’ Google is understandably reticent to assign more importance to the social sphere over other aspects of their search algorithm. In summary, Google’s strategy is a sensible one - “wait and see” how things develop over time, as websites that provide true value tend to develop longevity, trust and authority, and these are the sites that Google naturally wants to display higher in its search listings.
Social Signal Sources
Social media sites that search engines look to when measuring social signals include:
With more than 1.5 billion active users, Facebook is the largest social community in the world. Research shows that a single post can reach over 100,000 users, so even if it seems like Facebook is not driving a massive amount of sales on your website, you should not be quick to dismiss Facebook as an important part of your online business strategy, as Google processes social data and information from Facebook when determining your search rankings. In fact, Facebook seems influence search engine rankings more than other social media sites.
(Number of monthly active Facebook users. Source: Statista.com)
After Facebook, Twitter is the next largest social media site in the world, with over half a billion tweets sent out every single day. Twitter plays a significant role as a global influencer online and places great importance on tweeting posts that provide value to followers over the volume of tweets sent …
(Over 500 million tweets are sent each day. Source: Internet Live Stats)
As Google’s own social site, Google+ naturally carries great authority online, even if it has not reached the same level of growth and take up as Facebook and Twitter.
(More people are actively using GooglePlus each day. Source: Internet Live Stats)
In addition to the big 3 listed above, there are a number of other social media networks worth getting to know, like Pinterest, LinkedIn, Reddit, StumbleUpon, and Digg.
(Social media sites provide important signals that could affect your search engine rankings)
Which Social Signals Should You Be Paying Attention To?
Search engines like Google and Bing track various social signals, including:
- Facebook – e.g. how many Facebook shares, likes, and comments you have, growth rate of likes and shares, etc.
- Twitter – e.g. tweets and retweets, the number of people sharing the posts, trending topics, etc.
- Google+ – e.g. who is following you (influential users), how many people follow you, amount and authority of +1s, etc.
- Other sites – e.g. number of Pins and re-Pins on Pinterest, upvotes on Reddit, etc.
- Other signals – In addition to the above, there are other not so obvious factors that can indirectly influence search engine rankings and traffic. These include positive and undesirable factors, such as links from authority sites (backlinks) (not as important as they once were, but still a factor) [positive], and whether your site is deemed to be of poor quality by site reviewers [negative].
As a website owner, it’s important to not only find ways to develop your social media presence, but also to be able to track and analyze your social campaigns in order to improve your business results.
(Using social media marketing can help improve your business results)
Monitoring social media activity allows you to gain insights into your brand’s overall visibility on social media, spy on the competition, measure the impact of your marketing campaigns, avert disasters, and identify market opportunities. Additionally, monitoring social media can also provide you with vital data about emerging trends and what consumers and clients are thinking about specific brands, topics, businesses, or products.
As a business intelligence tool, social signal monitoring is invaluable. Using social media monitoring as a form of business intelligence, however, is a complex undertaking, often carried out by various groups that include marketing professionals, digital reputation management companies, market research, social engagement and community staff, social media marketing agencies, and sales teams. Typically, smaller businesses don’t can’t afford to pay a social media monitoring service to continually track their coverage in the media.
Fortunately various providers have created affordable tools and solutions to facilitate the tracking of a wide range of social media channels, enabling companies to track consumer behavior around their brands allowing them to respond to conversations and interact with online users in various social media platforms.
We have written a comprehensive article listing a number of social media monitoring tools and technologies that you may want to check out. Go here for more info:
(Are you searching for an effective tool that can help you track your social signals?)
In this article, we look at a simple, yet effective WordPress plugin for tracking social media signals and improving your social media exposure.
Let’s Review …
Social Metrics Pro – Social Analytics For WordPress
SocialMetricsPro is an easy-to-install social media analytics plugin for WordPress that is designed to help you increase your social media influence online in an uncomplicated way. It is built on a simple concept – SocialMetricsPro tracks and measures how each signal is performing and displays either a green or red indicator. The site owner’s task is simple … convert all red squares into greens.
(A standard operating procedure that anyone can operate … turn all the reds into greens!)
Colors indicate relative popularity. Posts that receive the most shares display green. Posts with low social media activity are colored amber or red.
The developers of Social Metrics Pro tested their plugin on a network of over two thousand sites over a period of three months. During this period, all they focused on was turning the “reds” to “greens” and then keeping their metrics on “green”. From these tests, they noticed a 360% improvement in traffic for their top 10 performing sites, 410% more keywords ranked in the first page of Google and they also experienced a 310% increase in revenues.
(According to SocialMetricsPro developers, improving your social media marketing can result in higher search rankings, increased web traffic and an increase in revenue!)
For more details, visit the plugin site here:
Here are just a few of the benefits and advantages of using Social Metrics Pro to track Tweets, Likes, +1s, Pins and more right from your WordPress Dashboard on your site:
Quick And Easy To Install And Implement. Ready To Start Using In Minutes.
Social Metrics Pro is really easy to install. Just upload the plugin file to your Plugins folder via your admin login and activate.
Really Simple To Use
As mentioned earlier, your objective is to change more reds into greens. The plugin tracks and measures social media signals the way Google sees it so you know which social marketing campaigns require more effort and which need to be better optimized.
Track Signals From The Networks You Care About
SocialMetricsPro allows you to centrally track and monitor social activity from networks like Twitter, Facebook, GooglePlus, Pinterest, Digg, StumbleUpon, and LinkedIn.
SocialMetricsPro helps you get answers to questions like:
- Which social media networks work best for my site?
- Which posts are performing the best on these social networks?
- Which of my posts are the most popular?
- And more …
With SocialMetricsPro, all of this information can be accessed with just one click.
(Social Metrics Pro constantly monitors the sites that you care most about!)
Social Metrics Pro provides web site owners with many features. Below we have listed a few of these:
- Fast and easy to install and use. Be up and running in minutes.
- Social Metrics Pro Is Widgets & Extensions Ready. You can extend its functionality using external and built-in widgets. View updated information right on your WP dashboard, display social content on your blog sidebar or anywhere on your site using widgets.
- One-click updating. You can update the plugin with one click via the WordPress Updates page, or update it manually. You can also choose to be notified via email whenever a new version is released.
- Minimal usage of server resources. The plugin can generate reports very quickly, using minimal hosting resources. Report generation also includes the amount of time spent retrieving information and the server resources used to gather the data.
Additional plugin features include:
- Sort, Search And Filter Features: SocialMetricsPro lets you sort, search and filter the data as you like. You can perform keyword searches to study posts related to certain topics, and even filter the results by post authors, post type, publishing date, or by category.
- Export Data To Excel: You can export data to Excel for further analysis. Data can be exported in tab-delimited and comma-separated file formats, and imported to Excel or the spreadsheet application of your choice.
(SocialMetricsPro is very simple to use … just turn reds into greens!)
Below are a couple of the testimonials and feedback plugin customers have published about SocialMetricsPro:
”As with any cool plugin, it solves a very simple problem – how to view how well your WordPress posts are being promoted.” Adam Small, Marketing Tech Blog
“Social Metrics Takes WordPress Stats to the Next Level.” Lorraine Ball, Creative Director, Roundpeg
A step-by-step, practical guide on how to optimize your site for social media success (i.e. turn reds into greens) is also included.
Social Metrics Pro Support
SocialMetricsPro is well-supported, and comes with free support and free lifetime updates, backed by a risk-free, sixty-day, full refund guarantee.
Social Metrics Pro plugin is available in two editions:
- Single Site License Edition – This edition enables you to use Social Metrics Pro on 1 site only. It includes free lifetime updates and support. Cost = $27.00 (one-time).
- Multi-Site License Edition – This edition enables you to use Social Metrics Pro on all the web sites that you own. Includes free lifetime updates and support. Cost = $47.00 (one-time).
Please Note: The cost to purchase Social Metrics Pro can vary, depending on whether there are any promotions or limited-time specials being offered. Presently, the plugin sells for the pricing shown above. This may not be the actual pricing charged by the plugin seller when you visit the product site and there may be additional upsells or one-time offers after purchasing.
Check the plugin’s website for the latest pricing information:
SocialMetricsPro requires a self-hosted installation of WordPress and can be instantly downloaded after purchase.
As mentioned earlier, with the rising importance of social sites like Facebook and Twitter, search engines like Bing and Google now take into account various social signals to help determine website ranking.
No website owner can afford to ignore the importance of social media. Social Metrics Pro solves the problem of how to find a simple, time-saving solution that gives website owners instant feedback on the success of their social marketing campaigns and shows them how to direct their efforts in order to improve their results.
Social Metrics Pro is an ideal tool for beginners and advanced WordPress users alike. It tracks Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more directly from your WP admin area.
We recommend getting SocialMetricsPro if you own or manage WordPress sites and would like to monitor which social networks are working for your business.
For complete details, check out the plugin here: Social Metrics Pro – Social Analytics Plugin For WordPress