Social recommendations like Facebook comments, likes, and shares, +1s on Google+, etc. are called social signals.
Social signals impact search engine rankings and Google has been tracking social signals as part of its ranking algorithm since late 2010.
Note: Google encourages businesses to build their brand on social media as a long-term investment to drive qualified traffic, rather than aiming for short-term benefits like search ranking placement. Matt Cutts, the head of Google’s web spam team has stated that Google takes a cautious approach when it comes to social signals, as so many things change quickly on social media. Without a perfect ‘map,’ Google is understandably reticent to assign too much importance to social signals over other aspects of their search algorithm. In summary, Google’s strategy is to “wait and see” how things develop over time, as websites that provide value normally develop longevity, trust and authority, and these are the websites that Google naturally wants to rank higher in its search engine listings.
Social Signals – Which Social Sites Matter?
Social media sites that search engines like Google and Bing look to when measuring social signals include:
With over 1.5 billion active users, Facebook is the largest social media network on the planet. It has been estimated that one great post can reach over 100,000 users, so even if no one seems to be buying your products or services on Facebook, don’t be quick to dismiss Facebook as an important part of your business strategy, as Google uses social data and information from Facebook when determining your search rankings. In fact, Facebook seems to have the most influence on search engine rankings of all social media sites, like Twitter orGooglePlus.
(Number of active Facebook users. Source: Statista.com)
After Facebook, Twitter is the second largest social media site in the world, with over half a billion tweets sent out every day. Twitter has a significant amount of influence on the cybersphere and places great emphasis on tweeting posts that provide great value to readers over the volume of tweets sent …
(Over 500 million tweets are sent each day. Source: Internet Live Stats)
As Google’s own social media site, GooglePlus naturally carries great authority online, even if it has not reached the same level of growth and take up as Facebook and Twitter.
(More people are interacting on GooglePlus each week. Source: Internet Live Stats)
In addition to the big three listed above, there are a number of other social media networks that should not be ignored, like Pinterest, LinkedIn, Digg, Reddit, and StumbleUpon.
(A number of social media sites provide important signals to search engines that could affect your rankings)
Which Social Signals Should You Pay Attention To?
Search engines like Bing and Google track various social signals, including:
- Facebook – e.g. how many Facebook shares, comments, and likes you have, growth rate of shares and likes, etc.
- Twitter – e.g. how many tweets and retweets a URL has, how influential the person sharing your posts is, trending topics, etc.
- Google+ – e.g. who is following you (high profile users), how many followers on Google+ your URL has amassed, number of adds and shares, etc.
- Other sites – e.g. number of Pins and re-Pins on Pinterest, comments on Reddit, etc.
- Other signals – In addition to the above, there are other not so obvious factors that can indirectly influence search traffic and rankings. These include desirable and undesirable factors, such as backlinks from authority sites (not as influential as they once were, but still a factor) [positive], and whether your site is deemed to be of low quality by site reviewers [negative].
As a business owner, it’s not only important to grow your social media presence, but also to be able to monitor and analyze social signals in order to improve your business results.
(Using social media can improve your business results)
Tracking social media activity allows you to gain insights into your company’s online visibility on social media, measure the impact of campaigns, spy on your competitors, avert impending crises, and spot opportunities for engagement. Additionally, monitoring social media can also provide valuable information about emerging trends and what clients and consumers think about specific businesses, topics, products, or brands.
As a business intelligence tool, the ability to track social media is invaluable. Using social media monitoring as a form of business intelligence, however, is a complex undertaking, typically carried out by various people including marketing teams, market researchers, digital reputation specialists, sales teams, social engagement and community staff, and social marketing agencies. Typically, smaller businesses don’t have the budget to pay social media monitoring professionals to track their coverage in the and actively monitor their digital reputation.
Fortunately many technology companies have developed tools and solutions to facilitate the tracking of a broad spectrum of social media channels, enabling you to identify and even predict consumer behavior around your brand or products so you can respond proactively to conversations and engage with consumers in various social media platforms.
We have created a comprehensive article where we explore several social media monitoring tools that will help you identify new business opportunities, track competitor activity, see what conversations are taking place online that affect your business,etc. More information:
(Are you tracking social signals effectively?)
This article discusses a simple plugin for WordPress users for monitoring social signals and improving your social media presence online.
Let’s Review …
SocialMetricsPro – Social Media Analytics Plugin For WordPress
SocialMetricsPro is an easy-to-use social media analytics plugin for WordPress that is designed to make growing your social media influence online uncomplicated. It is built on a simple concept – Social Metrics Pro measures how each signal is performing and returns either a red or green indicator. The user’s goal is simple … convert more red squares into greens.
(Social Metrics Pro provides a standard operating procedure that any user can operate … turn reds into greens!)
Colors indicate relative popularity. Posts that get shared the most show up green. Posts with low social media activity are colored amber or red.
The developers of SocialMetricsPro tested their plugin on a network of 2,000+ websites over a period of three months. During this period, all they focused on was turning the “reds” to “greens” and then keeping their metrics on “green”. From these tests, they noticed a 360% improvement in traffic for their top 10 performing sites, 410% more keywords ranked in the first page of Google and they also experienced a 310% increase in revenues.
(According to Social Metrics Pro developers, improving your social media marketing campaigns can result in better search engine rankings, increased traffic and more revenue!)
Go here to learn more about the plugin:
Benefits Of Using SocialMetricsPro
Below we have listed just some of the benefits and advantages of using Social Metrics Pro to track Likes, Tweets, +1s, Pins and more from your WP Dashboard on your web site:
Ready To Go To Work In Minutes
SocialMetricsPro installs like every plugin. Simply upload the plugin file to your Plugin folder via your WordPress admin user area and activate.
Simple To Use
As mentioned earlier, your goal is to turn all red squares into greens. Social Metrics Pro tracks and measures social signals so you know where to invest more effort and where to optimize.
Track Signals From Social Networks You Care About
SocialMetricsPro lets you centrally track and monitor social media activity from social media networks like Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon, Digg, and Pinterest.
SocialMetricsPro helps you get answers to questions like:
- Which social networks work best for my site?
- Which posts are performing the best on these social networks?
- Which of my posts are the most popular on social media?
- And more …
With SocialMetricsPro, all this information can be accessed with a single click.
(SocialMetricsPro constantly monitors the social media sites that you care most about!)
Social Metrics Pro provides a number of great features to WP users. Here are just a few:
- Quick and simple to install and set up. Be up and running in minutes.
- Social Metrics Pro Is Widgets & Extensions Ready. You can extend the plugin’s functionality using built-in and external widgets. View updated stats right on your WordPress dashboard, display popular content on your sidebar or anywhere on your site using widgets.
- 1-click updating. You can update SocialMetricsPro in one click via the WordPress Updates screen, or update it manually. You can also choose to be notified via email whenever new versions are released.
- Minimal server resources consumption. Social metrics reports are generated very quickly, consuming very little hosting resources. Report generation also includes the amount of time it took to retrieve the information and the server memory used to compile the data.
Additional plugin features include:
- Sorting, Searching And Filtering Features: Social Metrics Pro allows you to sort and filter your data however you like. You can perform keyword searches to study topic-related posts, and even filter the results by category, post type, post authors, or by publishing date.
- Export Data: You can export and plot filtered, sorted data and custom queries in Excel for further analysis. Data can be exported in tab-delimited and comma-separated file formats, and imported to Excel or the spreadsheet application of your choice.
(SocialMetricsPro is very simple to use … just turn all reds into greens!)
Below are some of the testimonials and feedback plugin customers have published about the Social Metrics Pro plugin:
”As with any cool plugin, it solves a very simple problem – how to view how well your WordPress posts are being promoted.” Adam Small, Marketing Tech Blog
”I give Social Metrics a big thumbs up and I recommend it to anyone who’s serious about tracking their social sharing analytics.” James Johnson, Senior Editor at The Inquisitr
A practical guide containing useful advice on how to optimize your site for social media success (i.e. how to turn reds into greens) is also included.
Social Metrics Pro is well-supported, and users get lifetime upgrades and new releases for free with their purchase, backed by a no-risk, 60-day, complete refund guarantee.
SocialMetricsPro plugin is available in two editions:
- Single Site Licensing – This enables you to install SocialMetricsPro on one website only. Includes free lifetime updates and support. Price = $27.00 (one-time).
- Multi-Site License – This lets you activate Social Metrics Pro on all the websites that you own. Pricing includes free lifetime upgrades and free support. Cost = $47.00 (one-time).
Please Note: The cost of purchasing the Social Metrics Pro plugin can vary, depending on whether there are any promotions or limited-time special offers. Currently, the product is being retailed for the pricing shown above. This may not be the actual price charged by the software author when you visit the site and there may be additional upsells or one-time offers after you’ve purchased.
Check the plugin’s website for the latest pricing information here:
SocialMetricsPro requires a self-hosted installation of WordPress and can be instantly downloaded after purchase.
Get The Product
As mentioned earlier, social signals impact search engine rankings and Google has been elevating the importance given to social signals as part of its ranking algorithm.
No website owner can afford to ignore how important social media is to their online success. Social Metrics Pro solves the problem of how to find a simple, time-saving solution that gives website owners immediate feedback on the success of their social media marketing strategy and guides them how and where to improve their results.
SocialMetricsPro is ideal for beginners and advanced users alike. It tracks Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more directly from your WP dashboard.
We recommend Social Metrics Pro if you own or manage WordPress sites and would like to shave years off your social media marketing learning curve.
For more information, visit the plugin website: Social Metrics Pro – Social Media Analytics For WordPress