Social interactions and recommendations like +1s on Google+, Facebook comments, shares, and likes, etc. are called social signals.
With the rise of social sites like Facebook and Twitter, search engines like Google and Bing now take into account a range of social signals when determining a website’s ranking.
Note: Google encourages website owners to build their social media presence as a long-term investment to drive qualified traffic, instead of aiming for short-term benefits like search ranking placement. Google’s own head of the web spam team Matt Cutts has stated that Google takes a cautious approach when it comes to assessing social media signals, as social trends and relationships tend to change too quickly to fully map out. Without a reliable ‘map,’ Google is understandably reticent to assign too much importance to the social sphere over other aspects of their search algorithm. In short, Google’s strategy is to “wait and see” how things develop over time, as sites that provide value develop longevity, trust and authority, and these are the websites that Google wants to ascribe higher search rankings to.
Social Signals – Which Social Sites Matter?
Social media sites that search engines like Google and Bing look to for measuring social signals include:
With over 1.5 billion monthly active users, Facebook is the largest social media network in the world. It has been estimated that an average post can reach over 100,000 users, so even if it seems like Facebook is not driving droves of customers to your website, don’t be quick to dismiss the importance of Facebook in your business strategy, as Google uses data and information from Facebook when determining your search rankings. In fact, research indicates that Facebook seems influence search rankings more than other social media sites.
(Number of active Facebook users. Source: Statista.com)
After Facebook, Twitter is the second largest social media site in the world, with over 600 million tweets sent out every single day. Twitter has a significant amount of influence on the cybersphere and places great emphasis on the authority of tweets posted to followers over the volume of tweets sent …
(Over 500 million tweets are sent every day. Source: Internet Live Stats)
Google’s own social site naturally carries a significant degree of authority online, even if it is still a fledgling social community compared to sites like Facebook and Twitter.
(More people are interacting on GooglePlus each year. Source: Internet Live Stats)
In addition to the big three social sites listed above, there are a number of other social sites that provide important social metrics, like Pinterest, LinkedIn, Digg, Reddit, and StumbleUpon.
(Social media sites provide important signals to search engines that could affect your rankings)
Which Social Signals Should You Be Paying Attention To?
Search engines like Bing and Google track various social signals, including the following:
- Facebook – e.g. how many Facebook shares, likes, and comments you have, growth rate of likes and shares, etc.
- Twitter – e.g. tweets and retweets, how influential the person sending a tweet is, trending topics, etc.
- GooglePlus – e.g. who is following you (influential users), how many followers on Google+ a web page has, amount and authority of +1s, etc.
- Other sites – e.g. number of Pins and re-Pins on Pinterest, upvotes on Reddit, etc.
- Not so obvious signals – In addition to the above, there are other not so obvious social media-related factors that can indirectly influence search engine rankings and traffic. These include desirable and undesirable factors, such as improving clickthrough rate [positive], and whether your site is deemed to be of low quality by site reviewers [negative].
As a website owner, it’s not only important to find ways to develop your presence on major social networking websites, but also to be able to monitor, measure and analyze your social signals in order to improve your business results.
(Use social media marketing to improve your results online)
Monitoring social media activity allows you to find insights into what people are saying about your products, company, or brand on social media, measure the impact of your marketing campaigns, assess competitor activity and mind share, identify potential market opportunities, and take preventative measures if you detect negative comments or feedback by embittered customers. Additionally, monitoring social media can also provide you with valuable data about emerging trends and what clients and consumers think about specific businesses, products, topics, or brands.
As a business intelligence tool, social media monitoring is invaluable. Using social media monitoring as a form of business intelligence, however, is a complex undertaking, often carried out by a cross-section of people including PR staff, market researchers, marketing teams, social media marketing agencies, professional sales reps, and social engagement and community staff. Typically, small businesses don’t can’t afford to pay a social media monitoring service to track their coverage in the media.
Fortunately many technology companies have developed tools and solutions that facilitate the active monitoring of a variety of social media channels, enabling you to identify and even predict what consumers are saying about your brand allowing you to respond to conversations and interact with online users in a timely manner.
We have created a comprehensive article where we explore many social media tracking tools and technologies that are worth knowing about. Go here for more info:
(Are you monitoring social signals effectively?)
This article explores a simple social media monitoring plugin for your site and increasing your social media influence online.
Let’s Review …
SocialMetricsPro – Social Analytics WordPress Plugin
SocialMetricsPro is an easy-to-install social media analytics plugin that is designed to help users improve their social media exposure in an uncomplicated way. It is built on a simple concept – SocialMetricsPro tracks and measures how each signal is performing and displays either a red or green indicator. The user’s objective is simple … change all reds into greens.
(A system that any user can operate … turn reds into greens!)
Colors indicate relative popularity. This simplifies your social analytics with Excel-like conditional color formatting. Posts that receive the most shares are colored green. Posts with low social media activity display amber and red.
The developers of SocialMetricsPro tested their plugin on a network of over two thousand sites over a period of 3 months. During this period, all they focused on was turning the “reds” to “greens” and then keeping their metrics on “green”. From these tests, they were able to notice that their top 10 best performing sites saw an improvement of up to 360% more traffic, 410% more keywords ranked in the first page of Google and they also experienced a 310% increase in revenues.
(According to Social Metrics Pro developers, improving your social marketing can dramatically can have a positive impact on your search rankings, web traffic and revenue!)
Go here to learn more about this plugin:
Benefits Of Using Social Metrics Pro
Below we have listed just a few of the benefits of using Social Metrics Pro to track Likes, Tweets, Pins, +1s and more from your WP Dashboard on your site:
Quick And Simple To Install And Set Up. Be Up And Running In Minutes.
Social Metrics Pro installs like any regular WordPress plugin. Simply upload it to your Plugins folder via your WordPress dashboard and activate.
Really Simple To Use
As mentioned earlier, your goal is to change more red squares into greens. SocialMetricsPro tracks and measures social media signals the way Google sees it so you know where to put more effort and which need to be better optimized.
Select Only Social Signals From Social Networks You Care About
Social Metrics Pro allows you to centrally monitor social media activity across leading social media networks like Google+, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Digg, and StumbleUpon.
SocialMetricsPro lets you easily answer questions like:
- Which social networks work best for my site?
- Which posts are performing the best on these social networks?
- Which of my posts are the most popular on social media?
- And more …
With SocialMetricsPro, all this information can be accessed with just one click.
(Social Metrics Pro actively tracks the social media sites that you care most about!)
Social Metrics Pro provides WordPress users with a number of features. Below we have listed a few of these:
- Quick and easy to install and implement. Ready to start using in no time.
- Widgets & Extensions Ready. You can extend the plugin’s functionality with built-in and external widgets. View the latest stats from your WP dashboard, add social content to your sidebar or anywhere on your site using widgets.
- 1-click upgrading. Update SocialMetricsPro with a single click via the WordPress Updates screen, or update it manually. You can also opt to receive email notifications when new plugin updates are released.
- Plugin uses very little hosting resources. Social metrics reports are generated very quickly, using minimal hosting resources. The tool also displays the amount of time used to retrieve the information and the server memory used to gather data.
Additional features include:
- Sort, Search And Filter Features: SocialMetricsPro allows you to sort, search and filter your data as you like. You can perform keyword searches to study posts related to certain topics, and even filter the results by post type, category, post authors, or publishing date.
- Export Data: You can export filtered data and custom queries to Excel for further analysis. Data can be exported in tab-delimited and comma-separated file formats, and imported to the spreadsheet application of your choice.
(Social Metrics Pro is really simple to use … just change all the red squares into greens!)
Feedback From Plugin Customers
Below are just some testimonials plugin users have published about the SocialMetricsPro plugin:
”Our entire marketing strategy relies on social media. Each post on the site has viral potential, but we needed one place to see which social networks are performing the best for us…We went ahead and got the PRO Version of Social Metrics.” Syed Balkhi, Founder of List25 and WPBeginner.com
”I give Social Metrics a big thumbs up and I recommend it to anyone who’s serious about tracking their social sharing analytics.” James Johnson, Senior Editor at The Inquisitr
Social Metrics Pro includes a step-by-step guide on how to optimize your site for social media success (i.e. turn reds into greens).
The plugin is well-supported, and users get lifetime software upgrades and new releases for free with their purchase, backed by a no-risk, sixty-day, complete refund guarantee.
SocialMetricsPro plugin is available in two editions:
- Single Site License Edition – This edition lets you run Social Metrics Pro on one website only. Includes free lifetime upgrades and support. Price = $27.00 (one-time).
- Multiple Sites Edition – This option enables you to activate Social Metrics Pro on all sites that you own. Price includes free lifetime upgrades and support. Cost = $47.00 (one-time).
Please Note: Current pricing for SocialMetricsPro depends on whether there are any promotions or limited-time special offers. The above reflects the current price at the time this content was published. This may or may not be the actual pricing set by the software seller when you visit the product site and you may be shown additional upsells or one-time offers after your purchase.
Check the plugin’s website for the latest price:
SocialMetricsPro requires a self-hosted installation of WordPress and can be instantly downloaded after purchase.
The Bottom Line
As mentioned earlier, with the increased importance of social media sites like Facebook and Twitter, search engines are now taking into account a range of social signals when determining a website’s ranking.
No website owner can afford to ignore the importance of social media. Social Metrics Pro solves the problem of how to find a simple, time-saving solution that gives WordPress users instant feedback on the success of their social marketing strategy and shows them where and how to direct their efforts in order to improve their results.
SocialMetricsPro is an ideal tool for beginners and advanced users alike. It tracks Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more directly from your WordPress dashboard.
We recommend SocialMetricsPro if you own or manage WordPress sites and would like to learn how to use social signals to get better search engine rankings.
For more details, check out the plugin here: SocialMetricsPro – Social Media Analytics Plugin For WordPress