Social recommendations like Facebook shares, comments, and likes, Twitter retweets and mentions, etc. are called social signals.
Google has been tracking social signals as part of its ranking algorithm since late 2010.
Note: Google encourages businesses to build their brand on social media as a long-term investment to drive qualified traffic, rather than aiming for short-term benefits like search ranking placement. Google’s own head of the web spam team Matt Cutts has stated that Google takes a cautious approach when it comes to assessing social media signals, as social trends and relationships can change at a moment’s notice. Without a reliable ‘map,’ Google is understandably reticent to assign more importance to the social sphere over other aspects of their search algorithm. In short, Google’s strategy is to “wait and see” how things develop over time, as sites that provide true value tend to develop longevity, trust and authority, and these are the sites that Google wants to display higher in its search results.
Social Signals – Which Social Media Sites Matter?
Social media sites that search engines like Google and Bing look to for measuring social signals include:
With more than 1.5 billion active users, Facebook is the most dominant social network on the planet. It has been estimated that an average post on Facebook can reach up to 150,000 users, so even if it seems like Facebook is not driving a ton of sales on your website, don’t be quick to dismiss the power of leveraging Facebook, as Google uses data and information from Facebook when determining your search rankings. In fact, research indicates that Facebook seems to have the most influence on search rankings of all social media sites, like Google+ and Twitter.
(Number of monthly active Facebook users. Source: Statista.com)
After Facebook, Twitter is the second largest social media site in the world, with over 600 million tweets sent out each day. Twitter has a significant amount of influence on the cybersphere and places great emphasis on tweeting posts that provide value to readers over the volume of tweets sent …
(Over 500 million tweets are sent every day. Source: Internet Live Stats)
As Google’s own social site, GooglePlus naturally carries great authority online, even if it is still a fledgling online community compared to sites like Twitter and Facebook.
(More people are interacting on GooglePlus every year. Source: InternetLiveStats.com)
In addition to the big 3 listed above, there are a number of other sites worth getting to know, like Pinterest, LinkedIn, Reddit, StumbleUpon, and Digg.
(A number of social media sites provide important signals that can affect your search engine rankings)
Social Signals – Which Ones Should You Pay Attention To?
Search engines like Bing and Google track various social signals, including the following:
- Facebook – e.g. how many Facebook likes, shares, and comments a person has, growth rate of shares and likes, etc.
- Twitter – e.g. tweets and retweets, the number of people sending a tweet, trending topics, etc.
- Google+ – e.g. who is following you (high profile users), how many followers on GooglePlus a web page has amassed, amount and authority of +1s, etc.
- Other sites – e.g. growth rate of Pins and re-Pins on Pinterest, upvotes on StumbleUpon, etc.
- Not so obvious signals – In addition to the above, there are other not so obvious social media-related factors that can indirectly influence search engine traffic. These include desirable and negative factors, such as improving clickthrough rate (CTR) [positive], and whether your site is deemed to be irrelevant by site reviewers [negative].
As a website owner, it’s important to not only find ways to develop your presence on major social networking websites, but also to be able to monitor and analyze social media in order to improve your business results.
(Use social media marketing to improve your business results)
Social media monitoring allows you to find insights into your company’s online visibility on social media, avert impending crises, spy on your competitors, measure the impact of campaigns, and spot market opportunities. It can also provide you with vital data about emerging trends and what clients and consumers think about specific products, businesses, brands, or topics.
As a business intelligence tool, the ability to track social media channels like blogging, internet forums, wikis, micro-blogging platforms, discussion boards, video/photo sharing sites, and user-generated content (UGC) is invaluable. Using social media monitoring as a form of business intelligence, however, is a complex undertaking, typically carried out by various groups that include marketing professionals, market researchers, PR staff, social engagement and community personnel, sales teams, and agencies. Typically, many small businesses don’t can’t afford to pay a media monitoring service to continually track their coverage in the and actively monitor their online reputation.
Fortunately many service providers have developed affordable tools that facilitate the active tracking of a variety of social media channels, allowing you to track consumer behavior around your brand so you can respond proactively to conversations and engage with online users in a timely fashion.
We have written a detailed article on social media measurement tools that are worth knowing about. For more info, see this article:
(Are you looking for an effective way to monitor your social signals?)
In this article, we explore a simple, yet effective social monitoring plugin for a WordPress-based digital business presence and improving your social media presence.
SocialMetricsPro – Social Media Analytics WordPress Plugin
SocialMetricsPro is an easy-to-install social media analytics WordPress plugin that is designed to help you grow your social media influence in an uncomplicated way. It is built on a simple concept – Social Metrics Pro measures how each signal is performing and returns either a red or green indicator. The user’s goal is to change all the red squares into greens.
(SocialMetricsPro provides a system that any user can follow … simply turn reds into greens!)
Colors indicate relative popularity. Posts with the highest number of shares are colored green. Posts with low social media activity are colored amber or red.
The plugin developers tested SocialMetricsPro on a network of over two thousand sites over a period of 3 months. During this period, all they focused on was turning the “reds” to “greens” and then keeping everything “green”. From these tests, they were able to notice a 360% improvement in traffic for their top 10 performing sites, 410% more keywords ranked in the first page of Google and their revenue increased by 310%.
(According to Social Metrics Pro developers, improving your social media marketing campaigns can result in better search engine rankings, increased traffic and increased revenue!)
For more details, visit the plugin site here:
Benefits Of Using Social Metrics Pro
Here are just some of the benefits and advantages of using SocialMetricsPro to track Likes, Tweets, +1s, Pins and more directly from your WP Dashboard on your website:
Quick And Easy To Install And Implement. Ready To Go To Work In No Time.
Social Metrics Pro installs like every other WP plugin. Just upload it to your Plugin folder via your dashboard and activate.
Very Simple To Use
As mentioned earlier, the user’s job is to turn more red squares into greens. SocialMetricsPro tracks and measures social signals the way Google sees it so you know which social campaigns require more effort and where to optimize.
Track The Signals From Social Networks You Care About
SocialMetricsPro lets you centrally monitor social media activity across leading social networks like Facebook, Twitter, Google+, StumbleUpon, Pinterest, LinkedIn, and Digg directly from your WP dashboard.
SocialMetricsPro lets you easily answer questions like:
- Which social media networks work best for my site?
- Which social campaigns are performing the best on these social networks?
- Which of my posts are the most popular on social media?
- And more …
With SocialMetricsPro, all this information can be accessed with a single click.
(SocialMetricsPro actively tracks social signals from the social media sites that you care most about!)
Social Metrics Pro Features
Social Metrics Pro offers web site owners with many unique features. Below we have listed a few of these:
- Quick and simple to install and configure. Ready to start using in minutes.
- Widgets And Extensions Ready. You can extend the plugin’s functionality using external and built-in widgets. Social Metrics Pro shows updated information from your WP admin bar, display popular content on your blog sidebar or anywhere in your site using point-and-click widgets.
- 1-click updates. You can update the plugin in one click via the WordPress Updates screen, or update the manually manually. You can also opt to be notified via email whenever new plugin updates are released.
- Minimal use of server resources. The plugin generates social metrics reports in seconds, using minimal hosting resources. Report generation also displays the amount of time spent retrieving information and the server resources consumed when gathering the data.
Additional features include:
- Sorting, Searching And Filtering Features: SocialMetricsPro allows you to sort, search and filter your data as you like. You can perform keyword searches to study posts related to certain topics, and even filter the results by publishing date, category, post authors, or by post type.
- Export Data: You can export and plot data in Excel for further analysis. Data can be exported in tab-delimited and comma-separated file formats, and imported to Excel or the spreadsheet application of your choice.
(SocialMetricsPro is really simple to use … just change all the red squares into greens!)
Testimonials From Plugin Customers
Below are just some testimonials plugin customers have published about SocialMetricsPro:
”Social Metrics is the easiest way to see at a glance which posts have performed well on social networks.” Kevin Muldoon, Founder of WPMods.com
”I give Social Metrics a big thumbs up and I recommend it to anyone who’s serious about tracking their social sharing analytics.” James Johnson, Senior Editor at The Inquisitr
Social Metrics Pro comes with a practical guide containing useful advice on how to optimize your site for social media success (i.e. how to turn reds into greens).
Social Metrics Pro is well-supported, and comes with free lifetime updates and support, backed by a risk-free, 60-day, full refund guarantee.
SocialMetricsPro plugin is available in two editions:
- Single Site Edition – This license option allows you to run SocialMetricsPro on 1 site only. Includes free lifetime updates and free support. Cost = $27.00 (one-time).
- Multiple Sites License Edition – This enables you to install Social Metrics Pro on unlimited websites that you own. It includes free lifetime updates and support. Cost = $47.00 (one-time).
Note: Price details for the Social Metrics Pro plugin depends on whether there are any promotions or limited-time special offers. The pricing shown above was current when this article was published. This may or may not be the actual price set by the plugin developer when you visit the website and there may be additional upsells or one-time offers after purchasing.
Check the plugin’s website for the latest pricing here:
Social Metrics Pro requires a self-hosted installation of WordPress and can be instantly downloaded after purchase.
Get The Plugin
As mentioned earlier, Google has been tracking social signals as part of its ranking algorithm.
No website owner can afford to ignore how important social media is to their online success. Social Metrics Pro solves the problem of how to find a simple, time-saving solution that gives WordPress users immediate feedback on the success of their social media marketing campaigns and guides them how and where to improve their results.
SocialMetricsPro is an ideal tool for beginners and advanced users alike. It tracks Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more right from your WP admin area.
We recommend this plugin if you own or manage WordPress sites and want to make social media marketing work for you.
For full details, visit the plugin website here: Social Metrics Pro – Social Media Analytics Plugin