Social recommendations like +1s on Google+, Facebook shares, etc. are called social signals.
Social signals impact search engine rankings and Google has been elevating the importance given to social signals as part of its ranking algorithm since late 2010.
Note: Google encourages businesses to build their social media presence as a long-term investment to drive qualified traffic, instead of aiming for short-term benefits like search ranking placement. Matt Cutts, the head of Google’s own web spam team has stated that Google takes a cautious approach when it comes to social media, as so many things change quickly on social media. Without a full ‘map,’ Google is understandably reticent to assign too much importance to social signals over other aspects of their search algorithm. In short, Google’s strategy is to “wait and see” how things develop over time, as websites that provide real value develop longevity, trust and authority, and these are the sites that Google wants to display higher in its search listings.
Social Signals – Which Social Sites Matter?
Social media sites that search engines like Google and Bing look to for measuring social signals include:
With over 1.5 billion monthly active users, Facebook is the most influential social media community in the world. It has been estimated that one great post can reach over 100,000 users, so even if no one is buying your products or services on Facebook, don’t be quick to dismiss the power of leveraging Facebook, as Google processes social data and information from Facebook to help determine your search rankings. In fact, Facebook seems to have the most influence on search rankings of all social media sites.
(Number of active Facebook users. Source: Statista.com)
After Facebook, Twitter is the next biggest social media site in the world, with over half a billion tweets sent out every day. Twitter has a significant amount of influence online and places great emphasis on tweeting posts that provide value to followers over the volume of tweets sent …
(Over 500 million tweets are sent every single day. Source: Internet Live Stats)
Google’s own social media site naturally carries a significant degree of authority online, even if it has not reached the same level of growth and take up as Facebook and Twitter.
(More people are interacting on Google+ each month. Source: Internet Live Stats)
In addition to the big 3 social sites listed above, there are a number of other social sites worth getting to know, such as Pinterest, LinkedIn, Digg, Reddit, and StumbleUpon.
(Social media sites provide important signals to search engines that could affect your rankings)
Social Signals – Which Ones Should You Be Paying Attention To?
Search engines track various social signals, including the following:
- Facebook – e.g. how many Facebook shares, likes, and comments you have, growth rate of likes and shares, etc.
- Twitter – e.g. how many tweets and retweets a site has, the number of people tweeting, trending topics, etc.
- GooglePlus – e.g. who is following you (high profile users), how many followers on Google+ your web page has amassed, amount and authority of +1s, etc.
- Other sites – e.g. number of Pins and re-Pins on Pinterest, comments on Digg, etc.
- Other signals – In addition to the above, there are other not so obvious social media-related factors that can influence search engine traffic and rankings. These include desirable and undesirable factors, such as backlinks from authority sites (not as influential as they once were, but still a factor) [positive], and whether your site is deemed to be of poor quality by visitors [negative].
As a business owner, it’s important to not only find ways to develop your social media presence, but also to be able to track and analyze social signals in order to improve your business results.
(Use social media to improve your results online)
Monitoring social media activity allows you to gain insights into what people are saying about your company, brand, or products on social media, spot market opportunities, avert impending crises, assess competitor activity, and measure the impact of campaigns. Additionally, monitoring social media can also provide you with vital data about emerging trends and what clients and consumers are thinking about specific products, brands, topics, or businesses.
As a business intelligence tool, the ability to track social media is invaluable. Using social media monitoring as a form of business intelligence, however, is a complex undertaking, often carried out by various groups that include online reputation specialists, marketing professionals, market researchers, professional sales reps, social marketing agencies, and social engagement and community staff. Typically, many small businesses do not have the budget to pay media monitoring professionals to continually track their coverage in the media.
Fortunately various service providers have made available tools to facilitate the active monitoring of a variety of social media channels, allowing you to identify and even predict what is being said online about your brand or products allowing you to respond to conversations and engage with online users in various social media platforms.
To learn more about social media measurement tools that you may want to check out, see this article:
(Are you searching for an effective way to monitor your social signals?)
In this article, you will learn about a simple, yet highly effective social tracking plugin for your online presence and increasing your social media influence.
Social Metrics Pro – Social Analytics Plugin For WordPress
Social Metrics Pro is an easy-to-install social analytics premium WordPress plugin that is designed to make improving your social media presence online uncomplicated. It is built on a simple concept – the plugin tracks how each signal is performing and displays either a red or green indicator. The user’s goal is simple … turn more reds into greens.
(Social Metrics Pro provides a system that any website owner can follow … turn all the reds into greens!)
Colors indicate relative popularity. This simplifies your social analytics with Excel-like conditional color formatting. Posts with highest number of shares show up green. Posts with low social media activity are colored amber and red.
The plugin developers tested Social Metrics Pro on a network of 2,000+ websites over a period of three months. During this period, all they focused on was turning the “reds” to “greens” and then keeping their metrics on “green”. From these tests, they noticed that their top 10 best performing sites saw an improvement of up to 360% more traffic, 410% more keywords ranked in the first page of Google and they also experienced a 310% increase in revenues.
(According to SocialMetricsPro developers, improving your social marketing campaigns can result in better search engine rankings, more traffic and increased revenue!)
To learn more about this plugin go here:
Here we have listed just some of the many benefits and advantages of using Social Metrics Pro to track Likes, Tweets, +1s, Pins and more from your WP Dashboard on your website:
Be Up And Running In Minutes
SocialMetricsPro installs just like any WP plugin. Simply upload the plugin file to your Plugins folder via your WP dashboard and activate.
Really Simple To Use
As mentioned earlier, the site owner’s goal is to convert red squares into greens. SocialMetricsPro tracks and measures social media signals the way Google sees it so you know where to apply more effort and where to optimize.
Track The Signals From The Networks You Care About
SocialMetricsPro lets you centrally monitor social media activity across leading networks like Facebook, Google+, Twitter, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon, Pinterest, and Digg.
SocialMetricsPro lets you easily answer questions like:
- Which social media networks work best for my site?
- Which social campaigns are performing the best on these social networks?
- Which of my posts are the most popular on social media?
- And more …
With Social Metrics Pro, all of this information can be accessed with just one click.
(SocialMetricsPro actively tracks the sites that you care most about!)
SocialMetricsPro provides site owners with many great features. Below we have listed just a few of these:
- Quick and easy to install and implement. Ready to use in minutes.
- Social Metrics Pro Is Widgets & Extensions Ready. You can extend its functionality with built-in and external widgets. SocialMetricsPro displays updated stats right on your WordPress dashboard, display popular content on your sidebar or anywhere on your site using widgets.
- 1-click upgrading. You can update Social Metrics Pro with one click via the WordPress Updates page, or update the manually manually. You can also choose to be notified via email when new versions are released.
- Minimal use of server resources. Social reports are compiled very quickly, using minimal server resources. Reports also include the amount of time spent retrieving information and the server resources consumed when gathering the data.
Additional plugin features include:
- Sorting, Searching & Filtering Features: Social Metrics Pro allows you to sort, search and filter the information however you like. You can perform keyword searches to study topic-related posts, and even filter the results by publishing date, category, post authors, or by post type.
- Export Data: You can export and plot filtered data and custom queries in Excel for further analysis. Data can be exported in tab-delimited and comma-separated file formats, and imported to the spreadsheet application of your choice.
(SocialMetricsPro is really simple to use … just turn all red squares into greens!)
Here are a few of the testimonials that plugin users have submitted regarding the SocialMetricsPro plugin:
”Our entire marketing strategy relies on social media. Each post on the site has viral potential, but we needed one place to see which social networks are performing the best for us…We went ahead and got the PRO Version of Social Metrics.” Syed Balkhi, Founder of List25 and WPBeginner.com
”I give Social Metrics a big thumbs up and I recommend it to anyone who’s serious about tracking their social sharing analytics.” James Johnson, Senior Editor at The Inquisitr
SocialMetricsPro comes with a step-by-step guide containing useful advice on how to optimize your campaigns and improve your social media strategy (i.e. turn reds into greens).
SocialMetricsPro is well-supported, and comes with free lifetime updates and support, backed by a risk-free, 60-day, full money-back guarantee.
Social Metrics Pro plugin is available in two editions:
- Single Site License – This option enables you to configure Social Metrics Pro on 1 domain only. Cost includes free lifetime upgrades and free support. Price = $27.00 (one-time).
- Unlimited Sites Edition – This option allows you to set up SocialMetricsPro on multiple web sites that you own. Includes free lifetime updates and free support. Price = $47.00 (one-time).
Please Note: Pricing details of the Social Metrics Pro plugin can vary, depending on whether there are any promotions or limited-time specials being offered. The above reflects the price at the time this article was written. This may or may not be the actual price set by the plugin developer when you visit the product site and there may be additional upsells or one-time offers after you’ve purchased.
Check the plugin’s website for the current price:
Social Metrics Pro requires a self-hosted installation of WordPress and can be instantly downloaded after purchase.
Install The Plugin
As mentioned earlier, Google has been elevating the importance given to social signals as part of its ranking algorithm.
No website owner can afford to ignore the importance of social media. SocialMetricsPro solves the problem of how to find a simple, time-saving solution that gives users immediate feedback on the success of their social media marketing strategy and guides them how to direct their efforts in order to improve their results.
SocialMetricsPro is ideal for beginners and advanced WordPress users alike. It tracks Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more directly from your WordPress admin area.
We recommend SocialMetricsPro if you own or manage WordPress sites and want to improve social media visibility and see more of your keywords getting ranked on search engines.
To learn more, check out the plugin here: Social Metrics Pro – Social Media Analytics For WordPress