Social recommendations like +1s on Google+, Facebook comments, shares, and likes, etc. are called social signals.
With the increase in importance of social sites like Twitter and Facebook, search engines like Google and Bing now take into account various social signals to help determine a website’s ranking.
Note: Google encourages businesses to build their social media presence as a long-term investment to drive qualified traffic, instead of aiming for short-term benefits like search ranking placement. Google’s own head of the web spam team Matt Cutts has stated that Google takes a cautious approach when it comes to assessing social media signals, as so many things change quickly on social media. Without a perfect ‘map,’ Google is understandably reticent to assign too much importance to social signals over other aspects of their search algorithm. In summary, Google’s strategy is to “wait and see” how things develop over time, as websites that provide true value develop longevity, trust and authority, and these are the sites that Google naturally wants to display higher in its search listings.
Social Signal Sources
Social sites that search engines like Google look to when measuring social signals include:
With more than 1.5 billion active users, Facebook is the largest social network on the planet. It has been estimated that an average post can reach over 100,000 users, so even if it seems like Facebook is not driving droves of customers to your website, don’t be quick to dismiss Facebook as an important part of your online business strategy, as Google uses data and information from Facebook to help determine your search rankings. In fact, Facebook seems influence search rankings more than other social media sites, like Twitter andGoogle+.
(Number of active Facebook users. Source: Statista.com)
After Facebook, Twitter is the second biggest social media site in the world, with over 600 million tweets sent out each day. Twitter has a significant amount of influence on the cybersphere and places great importance on tweeting posts that provide great value to followers over the number of tweets sent …
(Over half a billion tweets are sent every day. Source: InternetLiveStats.com)
As Google’s own social networking site, Google+ naturally carries a significant degree of authority online, even if it has not reached the same level of growth and take up as Facebook and Twitter.
(More people are starting to interact socially on GooglePlus every year. Source: Internet Live Stats)
In addition to the big 3 listed above, there are a number of other sites that provide important social metrics, like Pinterest, LinkedIn, Digg, StumbleUpon, and Reddit.
(A number of social media sites provide important signals that could affect your search rankings)
Social Signals – Which Ones Should You Pay Attention To?
Search engines like Google and Bing track a number of social signals, including:
- Facebook – e.g. how many Facebook shares, likes, and comments a person has, growth rate of shares and likes, etc.
- Twitter – e.g. how many tweets and retweets your URL has, the authority of the person sending a tweet, trending topics, etc.
- GooglePlus – e.g. who is following you (high profile users), how many followers on Google+ your URL has accrued, number of adds and shares, etc.
- Other sites – e.g. number of Pins and re-Pins on Pinterest, upvotes on Reddit, etc.
- Not so obvious signals – In addition to the above, there are other not so obvious social media-related factors that can indirectly influence search engine traffic and rankings. These include positive and undesirable factors, such as age and authority of your social media account [positive], and whether your site is deemed to be irrelevant by visitors [negative].
As a business owner, it’s not only important to develop your social media presence, but also to be able to monitor and analyze social performance in order to improve your business results.
(Using social media marketing can help improve your results online)
Social media monitoring allows you to gain insights into your brand’s overall visibility on social media, spy on your competitors, measure the impact of campaigns, spot market opportunities, and avert disasters. Additionally, social media monitoring can also provide valuable data about emerging trends and what clients and consumers are thinking about specific brands, products, topics, or businesses.
As a business intelligence tool, being able to monitor social activity on social media is invaluable. Using social media monitoring as a form of business intelligence, however, is a complex undertaking, typically carried out by a cross-section of groups that include marketing teams, online reputation management (ORM) companies, market research, social engagement and community staff, social media marketing agencies, and professional sales reps. Typically, smaller businesses do not can’t afford to pay social media monitoring professionals to continually track their coverage in the and actively monitor their digital reputation.
Fortunately a number of providers have created tools to facilitate the active monitoring of a variety of social media channels, enabling companies to track consumer behavior around their brands allowing them to respond proactively to conversations and engage with online users in various social media platforms.
We have written a comprehensive article about social media monitoring tools and technologies that will help you manage, measure, and analyze your social media marketing initiatives. If you would like to learn more here:
(Do you know how to effectively measure social signals?)
In this article, we look at a simple, yet effective WordPress plugin for tracking social signals and growing your social media influence online.
SocialMetricsPro – Social Analytics Plugin For WordPress
SocialMetricsPro is an easy-to-install social analytics plugin for WordPress that is designed to help you increase your social media exposure online in an uncomplicated way. It is built on a simple premise – Social Metrics Pro tracks and measures how each signal is performing and returns either a green or red indicator. Your task is simple … turn all the red squares into greens.
(SocialMetricsPro provides a system that any user can operate … turn all the reds into greens!)
Colors indicate relative popularity. This simplifies your social analytics with Excel-like conditional color formatting. Posts with highest number of shares show up green. Posts with low social media activity display amber and red.
The developers of SocialMetricsPro tested their plugin on a network of 2,000+ sites over a period of three months. During this period, all they focused on was turning the “reds” to “greens” and then keeping their metrics on “green”. From these tests, they noticed a 360% improvement in traffic for their top 10 performing sites, 410% more keywords ranked in the first page of Google and they also experienced a 310% increase in revenues.
(According to Social Metrics Pro developers, focusing on improving your social marketing can impact your search rankings, web traffic and revenue!)
Learn more here:
Below we have listed just a few of the benefits and advantages of using SocialMetricsPro to track Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more right from your WordPress Dashboard on your site:
Ready To Start Using In Minutes
SocialMetricsPro installs like every other WP plugin. Just upload it to your Plugin folder via your admin login and activate.
Really Simple To Use
As mentioned earlier, the site owner’s job is to change more reds into greens. The plugin tracks and measures social media signals the way Google sees it so you know which social marketing campaigns require investing more effort and where to optimize.
Select Only Signals You Care About
Social Metrics Pro provides a powerful dashboard to centrally track and monitor social activity from social media networks like Twitter, Google+, Facebook, StumbleUpon, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and Digg.
Social Metrics Pro helps you get answers to questions like:
- Which social networks work best for my site?
- Which social campaigns are performing the best on these social networks?
- Which of my posts are the most popular?
- And more …
With SocialMetricsPro, all this information can be accessed with a single click.
(SocialMetricsPro actively monitors the sites that you care most about!)
SocialMetricsPro offers many great features to website owners. Below we have listed a few of these:
- Quick and easy to install and configure. Be up and running in very little time.
- Social Metrics Pro Is Widgets And Extensions Ready. You can extend the plugin’s functionality using built-in and external widgets. Access updated stats from your WordPress admin bar, display socially popular content on your blog sidebar or anywhere on your site using widgets.
- One-click upgrading. You can update Social Metrics Pro with a single click via the WordPress Updates page, or update it manually. You can also choose to be notified via email when new versions are released.
- Plugin uses very little hosting resources. Metric reports are generated very quickly, using little server resources. Report generation also includes the amount of time it took to retrieve information and the server resources used to gather and compile the data.
Additional features include:
- Sorting, Searching & Filtering Features: SocialMetricsPro allows you to sort, search and filter the data as you like. You can perform keyword searches to study topic-related posts, and even filter the results by post authors, category, post type, or publishing date.
- Export Data To Excel: You can export data to Excel for further analysis. Data can be exported in tab-delimited and comma-separated file formats, and imported to Excel or the spreadsheet application of your choice.
(SocialMetricsPro is simple to use … just turn all reds into greens!)
Testimonials From Product Users
Below are a couple of the testimonials that users have written about the SocialMetricsPro plugin:
”Our entire marketing strategy relies on social media. Each post on the site has viral potential, but we needed one place to see which social networks are performing the best for us…We went ahead and got the PRO Version of Social Metrics.” Syed Balkhi, Founder of List25 and WPBeginner.com
“Social Metrics Takes WordPress Stats to the Next Level.” Lorraine Ball, Creative Director, Roundpeg
SocialMetricsPro Plugin – Useful Tips
A practical, step-by-step guide containing useful advice on how to optimize your site for social media success (i.e. turn reds into greens) is also included.
Social Metrics Pro is well-supported, and comes with free lifetime updates and support, backed by a risk-free, 60-day, 100% refund guarantee.
Social Metrics Pro plugin is available in two editions:
- Single Site Licensing – This license option enables you to install Social Metrics Pro on 1 domain only. Includes free lifetime updates and support. Cost = $27.00 (one-time).
- Unlimited Sites License Edition – This edition enables you to activate SocialMetricsPro on unlimited websites that you own. Includes free lifetime upgrades and support. Price = $47.00 (one-time).
Please Note: The cost to purchase the Social Metrics Pro plugin depends on whether there are any promotions or limited-time special offers. The above reflects the current pricing when this review was written. This may or may not be the actual pricing charged by the product seller when you visit the website and there may be additional upsells or one-time offers after your purchase.
Check the plugin’s website for current pricing details:
Social Metrics Pro requires a self-hosted installation of WordPress and can be instantly downloaded after purchase.
Download This Product
As mentioned earlier, social signals impact search engine rankings and Google has been tracking social signals as part of its ranking algorithm.
No website owner can afford to ignore how important social media is to their online success. SocialMetricsPro solves the problem of how to find a simple, time-saving solution that gives you immediate feedback on the success of your social marketing campaigns and shows you how and where to direct your efforts in order to improve your results.
Social Metrics Pro is an ideal tool for beginners and advanced WordPress users alike. It tracks Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more right from your WordPress admin area.
We recommend getting this plugin if you own or manage WordPress sites and would like to see measurable results.
To learn more, visit the plugin website here: SocialMetricsPro – Social Media Analytics Plugin For WordPress