Social interactions like Facebook comments, +1s on Google+, etc. are called social signals.
Google has been tracking social signals as part of its ranking algorithm since late 2010.
Note: Google encourages businesses to build their brand on social media as a long-term investment to drive qualified traffic, rather than aiming for short-term benefits like search ranking placement. Matt Cutts, the head of Google’s web spam team has stated that Google takes a cautious approach when it comes to social signals, as so many things change quickly on social media. Without a reliable ‘map,’ Google is understandably reticent to assign more importance to social signals over other aspects of their search algorithm. In summary, Google’s strategy is to “wait and see” how things develop over time, as sites that provide value tend to develop longevity, trust and authority, and these are the sites that Google wants to ascribe higher search rankings to.
Social Signals – Which Sites Matter?
Social sites that search engines like Google and Bing look to when measuring social signals include:
With more than 1.5 billion monthly active users, Facebook is the most influential social media community in the world. Research shows that an average post can reach up to 150,000 users, so even if no one seems to be buying your products or services on Facebook, you should not be quick to dismiss the power of leveraging Facebook, as Google uses social data and information from Facebook to help determine your search rankings. In fact, Facebook seems influence search engine rankings more than other social media sites, like Twitter orGooglePlus.
(Number of monthly active Facebook users. Source: Statista.com)
After Facebook, Twitter is the next largest social media site in the world, with over half a billion tweets sent out each day. Twitter plays a significant role as a global influencer online and places great emphasis on tweeting posts that provide great value to readers over the number of tweets sent …
(Over 500 million tweets are sent every day. Source: InternetLiveStats.com)
As Google’s own social site, Google+ naturally carries a significant degree of authority online, even if it has not reached the same level of growth and take up as Facebook and Twitter.
(More people are starting to interact socially on GooglePlus every week. Source: Internet Live Stats)
In addition to the big three social media giants listed above, there are a number of other social media networks that should not be ignored, like Pinterest, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon, Digg, and Reddit.
(Social media sites provide important signals to search engines that can affect your rankings)
Social Signals – Which Ones Should You Pay Attention To?
Search engines track various social signals, including the following:
- Facebook – e.g. how many Facebook comments, shares, and likes a person has, growth rate of shares and likes, etc.
- Twitter – e.g. how many tweets and retweets your web page has, the authority of the person sharing the information, trending topics, etc.
- GooglePlus – e.g. who is following you (high profile users), how many people follow you, spread rate of adds and shares, etc.
- Other sites – e.g. number of Pins and re-Pins on Pinterest, upvotes on Digg, etc.
- Other signals – In addition to the above, there are other not so obvious factors that can influence search rankings. These include desirable and negative factors, such as improving clickthrough rate (CTR) [positive], and whether your site is deemed to be irrelevant by site reviewers [negative].
As a website owner, it’s important to not only find ways to develop your presence on major social networking websites, but also to be able to monitor and analyze your social signals in order to improve your business results.
(Using social media can improve your results online)
Monitoring social media activity allows you to gain insights into your brand’s overall visibility on social media, spot market opportunities, help you take preventative measures against the spread of negative comments or feedback by embittered customers, measure the impact of campaigns, and spy on your competition. Additionally, monitoring social media can also provide you with vital data about emerging trends and what consumers and clients are thinking about specific products, topics, businesses, or brands.
As a business intelligence tool, social monitoring is invaluable. Using social media monitoring as a form of business intelligence, however, is a complex undertaking, typically carried out by various groups that include market researchers, marketing professionals, digital reputation specialists, agencies, social engagement and community staff, and sales teams. Typically, smaller businesses don’t can’t afford to pay media monitoring professionals to continually track their coverage in the media.
Fortunately different technology companies have developed a range of affordable and even free tools to facilitate the monitoring of a variety of social media channels, allowing companies to identify and even predict consumer behavior around their brands or products allowing them to respond to conversations and engage with consumers in a timely manner.
We have written a comprehensive article about social media monitoring tools and technologies that you may want to check out. To learn more, go here:
(Do you know how to effectively track social signals?)
This article discusses a simple plugin for WordPress-driven websites and blogs for tracking social signals and increasing your social media influence online.
Let’s Review …
SocialMetricsPro – Social Media Analytics For WordPress
SocialMetricsPro is an easy-to-install social media analytics plugin for WordPress that is designed to help you improve your social media exposure in an uncomplicated way. It is built on a simple concept – Social Metrics Pro tracks and measures how each signal is performing and returns either a green or red indicator. The site owner’s goal is simple … convert all the red squares into greens.
(A system that anyone can operate … simply turn reds into greens!)
Colors indicate relative popularity. Posts with highest number of shares display green. Posts with low social media activity are colored amber or red.
The developers of SocialMetricsPro tested their plugin on a network of 2,000+ sites over a period of three months. During this period, all they focused on was turning the “reds” to “greens” and then keeping their metrics on “green”. From these tests, they noticed that their top 10 best performing sites saw an improvement of up to 360% more traffic, 410% more keywords ranked in the first page of Google and they also experienced a 310% increase in revenues.
(According to Social Metrics Pro developers, focusing on improving your social marketing campaigns can result in higher search engine rankings, more traffic and increased revenue!)
Go here to learn more:
Benefits Of Using SocialMetricsPro
Here we have listed just some of the many benefits of using Social Metrics Pro to track Likes, Tweets, +1s, Pins and more directly from your WP Dashboard on your website:
Be Up And Running In Very Little Time
Social Metrics Pro installs just like every plugin. Simply upload a zip folder that contains the plugin to your Plugin folder via your WordPress dashboard and activate.
Very Simple To Use
As mentioned earlier, your goal is to turn red squares into greens. The plugin tracks and measures social media signals the way Google sees it so you know where to put more effort and which social marketing campaigns need to be better optimized.
Select Only Social Signals From Social Networks You Care About
SocialMetricsPro allows you to monitor social media activity across leading social media networks like Google+, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon, Pinterest, and Digg directly from your WP dashboard.
Social Metrics Pro helps you get answers to questions like:
- Which social media networks work best for my site?
- Which posts are performing the best on these social networks?
- Which are my most popular posts?
- And more …
With Social Metrics Pro, all this information can be accessed with a single click.
(Social Metrics Pro constantly monitors social signals from the sites that you care most about!)
Social Metrics Pro provides a number of great features to WordPress users. Here are just some of these:
- Quick and easy to install and use. Be up and running in minutes.
- Widgets & Extensions Ready. You can extend its functionality using built-in and external widgets. Social Metrics Pro shows updated information from your WordPress admin bar, add socially popular content to your blog sidebar or anywhere in your site using widgets.
- 1-click upgrading. You can update SocialMetricsPro in a single click via the WordPress Updates page, or update it manually. You can also choose to be notified via email whenever a new version is released.
- Minimal consumption of resources. The plugin can generate social metrics reports very quickly, consuming very little hosting resources. The tool also displays the amount of time used to retrieve information and the server resources used to compile the data.
Additional features include:
- Sorting, Searching And Filtering Features: SocialMetricsPro lets you sort and filter information however you like. You can perform keyword searches to study posts related to certain topics, and even filter the results by publishing date, post type, category, or post authors.
- Export Data To Excel: You can export and plot data in Excel for further analysis. Data can be exported in tab-delimited and comma-separated file formats, and imported to the spreadsheet application of your choice.
(Social Metrics Pro is simple to use … just change more red squares into greens!)
Feedback From Users
Below are a few of the testimonials plugin users have written about Social Metrics Pro:
”Social Metrics is the easiest way to see at a glance which posts have performed well on social networks.” Kevin Muldoon, Founder of WPMods.com
”Social Metrics is one of the recipes for Social WordPress. You can integrate it quickly and easily on your WordPress site to view your performance on social networks” Jean-Francois Arseneault, Arseneault Consultation
SocialMetricsPro includes a practical guide containing useful advice on how to optimize your campaigns and improve your social media strategy (i.e. turn reds into greens).
Social Metrics Pro Plugin Support
The software is well-supported, and users get lifetime software updates and new releases for free with their purchase, backed by a risk-free, sixty-day, 100% money-back guarantee.
SocialMetricsPro plugin is available in two editions:
- Single Site License Edition – This enables you to activate SocialMetricsPro on 1 site only. It includes free lifetime updates and support. Cost = $27.00 (one-time).
- Multi-Site License Edition – This option allows you to use Social Metrics Pro on multiple domains that you own. Includes free lifetime upgrades and free support. Price = $47.00 (one-time).
Note: The cost of purchasing this product depends on whether there are any promotions or limited-time special offers. Currently, the plugin sells for the prices shown above. This may not be the actual pricing set by the product seller when you visit the product website and you may be shown additional upsells or one-time offers after your purchase.
Check the plugin’s website for current pricing details:
Additional Plugin Information
Social Metrics Pro requires a self-hosted installation of WordPress and can be instantly downloaded after purchase.
We Highly Recommend This
As mentioned earlier, with the growth of social sites like Facebook and Twitter, search engines like Google and Bing now take into account various social signals to help determine a site’s ranking.
No website owner can afford to ignore how important social media is to their online success. Social Metrics Pro solves the problem of how to find a simple, time-saving solution that gives you immediate feedback on the success of your social media marketing strategy and guides you where and how to improve your results.
SocialMetricsPro is an ideal tool for beginners and advanced WordPress users alike. It tracks Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more directly from your WP dashboard.
Get this plugin if you own or manage WordPress sites and would like to see measurable results.
To learn more, visit the plugin website: Social Metrics Pro – Social Media Analytics Plugin For WordPress