Social interactions and recommendations like +1s on GooglePlus, Facebook likes, etc. are called social signals.
Google has been elevating the importance given to social signals as part of its ranking algorithm since late 2010.
Note: Google encourages website owners to build their brand on social media as a long-term investment to drive qualified traffic, rather than aiming for short-term benefits like search ranking placement. Google’s own head of the web spam team Matt Cutts has stated that Google takes a cautious approach when it comes to social media, as social trends and relationships can change at a moment’s notice. Without a perfect ‘map,’ Google is understandably reticent to assign more importance to social signals over other aspects of their search algorithm. In short, Google’s strategy is to “wait and see” how things develop over time, as websites that provide real value develop longevity, trust and authority, and these are the sites that Google wants to rank higher in its search results.
Social Signals – Which Sites Matter?
Social sites that search engines like Google look to when measuring social signals include:
With over 1.5 billion active users, Facebook is the largest social community on the planet. It has been estimated that one great post can reach over 100,000 users, so even if no one is buying your products or services on Facebook, you should not be quick to dismiss the power of leveraging Facebook, as Google uses data and information from Facebook when determining your search rankings. In fact, Facebook seems to have the most influence on search rankings of all social media sites.
(Number of active Facebook users. Source: Statista.com)
After Facebook, Twitter is the second biggest social media site in the world, with over 500 million tweets sent out every day. Twitter has a significant amount of influence on the cybersphere and places great importance on tweeting posts that provide value to readers over the number of tweets sent …
(Over half a billion tweets are sent every day. Source: InternetLiveStats.com)
As Google’s own social media site, Google+ naturally carries a significant degree of authority online, even if it has not reached the same level of growth and take up as Facebook and Twitter.
(More people are interacting on GooglePlus each year. Source: InternetLiveStats.com)
In addition to the big 3 social media giants listed above, there are a number of other sites worth getting to know, like Pinterest, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon, Digg, and Reddit.
(A number of social media sites provide important signals that can affect your search rankings)
Which Social Signals Should You Be Paying Attention To?
Social signals tracked by search engines like Bing and Google include:
- Facebook – e.g. how many Facebook likes, comments, and shares a person has, growth rate of shares and likes, etc.
- Twitter – e.g. tweets and retweets, the number of people sending a tweet, trending topics, etc.
- GooglePlus – e.g. who is following you (influential users), how many people are following you, amount of adds and shares, etc.
- Other sites – e.g. growth rate of Pins and re-Pins on Pinterest, comments on Digg, etc.
- Not so obvious signals – In addition to the above, there are other not so obvious factors that can indirectly influence search engine traffic. These include positive and undesirable factors, such as age and authority of your social media account [positive], and whether your site is deemed to be irrelevant by site reviewers [negative].
As a website owner, it’s important to not only grow your presence on major social networking websites, but also to be able to track, measure and analyze social signals in order to improve your business results.
(Using social media marketing can improve your business results)
Monitoring social media activity allows you to gain insights into your brand’s online visibility on social media, identify opportunities for engagement, spy on your competitors, help you take preventative measures if you detect negative comments or feedback by dissatisfied users, and measure the impact of your marketing campaigns. It can also provide you with vital data about emerging trends and what clients and consumers think about specific topics, businesses, brands, or products.
As a business intelligence tool, the ability to monitor conversations and social activity on social media channels like blogs, forums, social networking platforms, micro-blogging platforms, message boards, video/photo sharing sites, and user-generated content is invaluable. Using social media monitoring as a form of business intelligence, however, is a complex undertaking, typically carried out by a cross-section of groups that include marketing professionals, online reputation managers, market researchers, social engagement and community personnel, sales teams, and social media marketing agencies. Typically, small businesses do not can’t afford to pay a social media monitoring service to track their coverage in the media.
Fortunately different technology providers have developed a range of tools that facilitate the active monitoring of a broad range of social media channels, allowing companies to identify what is being said online about their brands or products allowing them to respond proactively to conversations and engage with consumers in a timely fashion.
Go here to learn more about social media measurement tools and technologies that you may want to check out:
(Can you measure your social signals effectively?)
This article discusses a simple, yet highly effective social tracking plugin for WordPress and increasing your social media presence.
Let’s Review …
SocialMetricsPro – Social Analytics Plugin For WordPress
SocialMetricsPro is an easy-to-use social analytics plugin for WordPress that is designed to make increasing your social media exposure online uncomplicated. It is built on a simple concept – Social Metrics Pro tracks and measures how each signal is performing and returns either a red or green indicator. Your objective is simple … change red squares into greens.
(SocialMetricsPro provides a system that anyone can operate … turn reds into greens!)
Colors indicate relative popularity. This simplifies your social analytics with Excel-like conditional color formatting. Posts that receive the most shares are colored green. Posts with low social media activity are colored amber and red.
The plugin developers tested SocialMetricsPro on a network of over two thousand websites over a period of three months. During this period, all they focused on was turning the “reds” to “greens” and then keeping everything “green”. According to the plugin developers, they were able to notice a 360% improvement in traffic for their top 10 performing sites, 410% more keywords ranked in the first page of Google and they also experienced a 310% increase in revenues.
(According to SocialMetricsPro developers, focusing on improving your social marketing can result in higher search rankings, increased web traffic and an increase in revenue!)
Go here to learn more:
Here we have listed just some of the many benefits and advantages of using SocialMetricsPro to track Likes, Tweets, Pins, +1s and more right from your WordPress Dashboard on your website:
Fast And Simple To Install And Set Up. Ready To Go To Work In No Time.
SocialMetricsPro installs like every other WP plugin. Just upload the plugin file to your Plugins folder via your admin user account and activate.
Simple To Use
As mentioned earlier, your job is to convert all red squares into greens. The plugin tracks and measures social media signals the way Google sees it so you know where to put more effort and which need to be better optimized.
Track The Social Signals From Social Networks You Care About
Social Metrics Pro lets you track and monitor social media activity from networks like GooglePlus, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Digg, LinkedIn, and StumbleUpon directly from your WP dashboard.
Social Metrics Pro helps you get answers to questions like:
- Which social media networks work best for my site?
- Which posts are performing the best on these social networks?
- Which of my posts are the most popular on social media?
- And more …
With Social Metrics Pro, all this information is available on-demand, with just one click.
(SocialMetricsPro actively monitors the social media sites that you care most about!)
Social Metrics Pro provides many features to WP users. Here are some:
- Fast and easy to install and set up. Ready to start using in very little time.
- Widgets And Extensions Ready. You can extend its functionality using built-in and external widgets. Social Metrics Pro displays the latest stats right on your WP dashboard, add socially popular content to your sidebar or anywhere in your site using point-and-click widgets.
- One-click updating. You can update Social Metrics Pro in a single click via the WordPress Updates page, or update it manually. You can also opt to receive email notifications whenever new versions are released.
- Minimal server resources consumption. Reporting is very quickly, consuming minimal server resources. Reports also display the amount of time spent retrieving information and the server memory used to gather and compile data.
Additional plugin features include:
- Sorting, Searching And Filtering Features: Social Metrics Pro lets you sort, search and filter data however you like. You can perform keyword searches to study topic-related posts, and even filter the results by category, post authors, publishing date, or by post type.
- Export Data: You can export filtered, sorted data and custom queries to Excel for further analysis. Data can be exported in tab-delimited and comma-separated file formats, and imported to the spreadsheet application of your choice.
(Social Metrics Pro is really simple to use … just turn all reds into greens!)
Feedback From Users
Here are some of the testimonials and comments plugin users have written about the Social Metrics Pro plugin:
”Social Metrics is the easiest way to see at a glance which posts have performed well on social networks.” Kevin Muldoon, Founder of WPMods.com
”I give Social Metrics a big thumbs up and I recommend it to anyone who’s serious about tracking their social sharing analytics.” James Johnson, Senior Editor at The Inquisitr
Social Metrics Pro includes a practical, step-by-step guide showing you how to optimize your site for social media success (i.e. turn reds into greens).
SocialMetricsPro is well-supported, and comes with free lifetime updates and support, backed by a risk-free, 60-day, complete refund guarantee.
Social Metrics Pro plugin is available in two editions:
- Single Site License – This edition lets you run SocialMetricsPro on 1 site only. Includes free lifetime updates and free support. Price = $27.00 (one-time).
- Multi-Site License – This enables you to activate Social Metrics Pro on all the web sites that you own. Cost includes free lifetime updates and free support. Price = $47.00 (one-time).
Note: Current pricing for the SocialMetricsPro plugin depends on whether there are any promotions or limited-time specials being offered. The above reflects the price when this article was published. This may or may not be the actual pricing set by the plugin author when you visit the plugin website and you may be shown additional upsells or one-time offers after you’ve purchased.
Check the plugin’s website for current pricing details:
Additional Plugin Information
SocialMetricsPro requires a self-hosted installation of WordPress and can be instantly downloaded after purchase.
Download The Plugin
As mentioned earlier, Google has been tracking social signals as part of its ranking algorithm.
No website owner can afford to ignore how important social media is to their online success. Social Metrics Pro solves the problem of how to find a simple, time-saving solution that gives you instant feedback on the success of your social marketing campaigns and guides you where to direct your efforts in order to improve your results.
SocialMetricsPro is an ideal tool for beginners and advanced users alike. It tracks Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more right from your WordPress admin area.
We recommend getting SocialMetricsPro if you own or manage WordPress sites and want to improve social media visibility and see more of your keywords getting ranked on search engines.
For more details, visit the plugin website here: Social Metrics Pro – Social Analytics Plugin For WordPress