Social recommendations like Twitter retweets and mentions, Facebook shares, comments, and likes, etc. are called social signals.
Google has been tracking social signals as part of its ranking algorithm since late 2010.
Note: Google encourages website owners to build their brand on social media as a long-term investment to drive qualified traffic, rather than aiming for short-term benefits like search ranking placement. Google’s own head of its web spam team Matt Cutts has stated that Google takes a cautious approach when it comes to social media, as so many things change quickly on social media. Without a reliable ‘map,’ Google is understandably reticent to assign more importance to social signals over other aspects of their search algorithm. In short, Google’s strategy is to “wait and see” how things develop over time, as websites that provide real value develop longevity, trust and authority, and these are the sites that Google naturally wants to rank higher in its search results.
Social Signal Sources
Social media sites that search engines look to when measuring social signals include:
With almost 2 billion monthly active users, Facebook is the largest social media community in the world. It has been estimated that one great post on Facebook can reach up to 150,000 users, so even if no one is buying your products or services on Facebook, you should not be quick to dismiss the importance of Facebook in your business strategy, as Google uses data and information from Facebook to help determine your search rankings. In fact, Facebook seems influence search rankings more than other social media sites, like Google+ and Twitter.
(Number of active Facebook users. Source: Statista.com)
After Facebook, Twitter is the second largest social media site in the world, with over half a billion tweets sent out each day. Twitter plays a significant role as a global influencer online and places great emphasis on tweeting posts that provide value to readers over the number of tweets sent …
(Over half a billion tweets are sent each day. Source: InternetLiveStats.com)
As Google’s own social media site, GooglePlus naturally carries great authority online, even if it is still a fledgling online community compared to sites like Twitter and Facebook.
(More people are actively using GooglePlus each week. Source: InternetLiveStats.com)
In addition to the big three listed above, there are a number of other sites worth getting to know, such as Pinterest, LinkedIn, Digg, StumbleUpon, and Reddit.
(Social media sites provide important signals that can affect your search rankings)
Social Signals – Which Ones Should You Be Paying Attention To?
Social signals tracked by search engines like Google and Bing include:
- Facebook – e.g. how many Facebook likes, comments, and shares you have, growth rate of shares and likes, etc.
- Twitter – e.g. tweets and retweets, how influential the person tweeting is, trending topics, etc.
- Google+ – e.g. who is following you (influential users), how many followers on Google+ your URL has, number and authority of +1s, etc.
- Other sites – e.g. growth rate of Pins and re-Pins on Pinterest, comments on Digg, etc.
- Other signals – In addition to the above, there are other not so obvious signals that can indirectly influence search rankings and traffic. These include positive and negative factors, such as improving clickthrough rate (CTR) [positive], and whether your site is deemed to be of low quality by visitors [negative].
As a website owner, it’s not only important to develop your presence on major social networking websites, but also to be able to monitor and analyze your social signals in order to improve your business results.
(Use social media marketing to help improve your results online)
Social media monitoring allows you to gain insights into your brand’s overall visibility on social media, spot opportunities for engagement, measure the impact of your marketing campaigns, assess competitor activity and market share, and be alerted to crises. Additionally, monitoring social media can also provide valuable data about emerging trends and what consumers and clients are thinking about specific brands, topics, businesses, or products.
As a business intelligence tool, being able to track activity on social media channels like blogs, internet forums, wikis, micro-blogging platforms, discussion boards, video/photo sharing websites, and user-generated content is invaluable. Using social media monitoring as a form of business intelligence, however, is a complex undertaking, often carried out by a cross-section of groups that include market research, marketing professionals, digital reputation management (ORM) agencies, social media marketing agencies, professional sales reps, and social engagement and community personnel. Typically, small businesses do not can’t afford to pay media monitoring professionals to continually track their coverage in the media.
Fortunately different service providers have created affordable tools to facilitate the tracking of a variety of social media channels, allowing you to identify and even predict consumer behavior around your brand so you can respond to conversations and interact with online users in various social media platforms.
If you want to learn more about social media measurement tools and technologies that are worth knowing about, refer to this article:
(Can you monitor social signals effectively?)
This article explores a simple, yet effective social tracking plugin for your WordPress-based digital presence and increasing your social media presence online.
Let’s Review …
Social Metrics Pro – Social Media Analytics For WordPress
Description Of Plugin
Social Metrics Pro is an easy-to-install social analytics plugin for WordPress that is designed to help users increase their social media presence online in an uncomplicated way. It is built on a simple premise – SocialMetricsPro tracks how each signal is performing and displays either a red or green indicator. The user’s objective is simple … change more red squares into greens.
(SocialMetricsPro provides a standard operating procedure that any website owner can operate … turn all the reds into greens!)
Colors indicate relative popularity. This simplifies your social analytics with Excel-like conditional color formatting. Posts that get shared the most show up green. Posts with low social media activity show up amber and red.
The developers of SocialMetricsPro tested their plugin on a network of over two thousand websites over a period of three months. During this period, all they focused on was turning the “reds” to “greens” and then keeping their metrics on “green”. According to the plugin developers, they noticed a 360% improvement in traffic for their top 10 performing sites, 410% more keywords ranked in the first page of Google and they also experienced a 310% increase in revenues.
(According to the plugin developers, focusing on improving your social media marketing can result in higher search rankings, increased traffic and more revenue!)
Benefits Of Using SocialMetricsPro
Here we have listed just some of the many benefits of using SocialMetricsPro to track Likes, Tweets, +1s, Pins and more directly from your WordPress Dashboard on your site:
Installation Is Easy And Quick
Social Metrics Pro installs like every other WP plugin. Just upload a zip file that contains the plugin files to your Plugins folder via your WordPress administrator login and activate.
Simple To Use
As mentioned earlier, the user’s goal is to change all the reds into greens. Social Metrics Pro tracks and measures social media signals so you know which campaigns need you to invest more effort and where to optimize.
Track Only Social Signals From The Networks You Care About
SocialMetricsPro allows you to track and monitor social media activity from social networks like Twitter, Facebook, GooglePlus, LinkedIn, Digg, Pinterest, and StumbleUpon directly from your WP dashboard.
SocialMetricsPro helps you get answers to questions like:
- Which social networks work best for my site?
- Which social campaigns are performing the best on these social networks?
- Which are my most popular posts?
- And more …
With Social Metrics Pro, all this information is available on-demand, with a single click.
(Social Metrics Pro constantly tracks social signals from the sites that you care most about!)
Social Metrics Pro Features
SocialMetricsPro offers WP users with many features. Here are just a few of these:
- Fast and simple to install and implement. Be up and running in minutes.
- Widgets And Extensions Ready. You can extend the plugin’s functionality using external and built-in widgets. View the latest information from your WordPress dashboard, add socially popular content to your blog sidebar or anywhere in your site using widgets.
- One-click upgrading. You can update SocialMetricsPro with a single click via the WordPress Updates page, or update the manually manually. You can also choose to receive an email notification when new plugin updates are released.
- Plugin suits even the smallest hosting configuration. The plugin generates social metrics reports in seconds, using very little server resources. Report generation also displays the amount of time spent retrieving the information and the server memory used to gather the data.
Additional plugin features include:
- Sort, Search & Filter Features: Social Metrics Pro allows you to sort and filter information as you like. You can perform keyword searches to study posts related to certain topics, and even filter the results by category, publishing date, post type, or by post authors.
- Export Data: You can export and plot filtered, sorted data and custom queries in Excel for further analysis. Data can be exported in tab-delimited and comma-separated file formats, and imported to the spreadsheet application of your choice.
(SocialMetricsPro is simple to use … just change more red squares into greens!)
Below are just some testimonials users have provided for the SocialMetricsPro plugin:
”As with any cool plugin, it solves a very simple problem – how to view how well your WordPress posts are being promoted.” Adam Small, Marketing Tech Blog
“Social Metrics Takes WordPress Stats to the Next Level.” Lorraine Ball, Creative Director, Roundpeg
SocialMetricsPro Plugin – Tips
Social Metrics Pro comes with a step-by-step, practical guide showing you how to optimize your social media strategy (i.e. how to turn reds into greens).
SocialMetricsPro is well-supported, and users get lifetime upgrades and new releases for free with their purchase, backed by a risk-free, sixty-day, full money-back guarantee.
Social Metrics Pro plugin is available in two editions:
- Single Site Edition – This enables you to run Social Metrics Pro on 1 domain only. Pricing includes free lifetime upgrades and free support. Cost = $27.00 (one-time).
- Multi-Site License – This enables you to activate Social Metrics Pro on unlimited sites that you own. Includes free lifetime upgrades and free support. Price = $47.00 (one-time).
Note: The cost to purchase the SocialMetricsPro product can vary, depending on whether there are any promotions or limited-time specials being offered. The price shown above was correct at the time this review was published. This may or may not be the actual pricing charged by the software seller when you visit the product site and you may be shown additional upsells or one-time offers after you’ve purchased.
Check the plugin’s website for the latest pricing details:
SocialMetricsPro requires a self-hosted installation of WordPress and can be instantly downloaded after purchase.
We Highly Recommend This
As mentioned earlier, Google has been elevating the importance given to social signals as part of its ranking algorithm.
No website owner can afford to ignore how important social media is to their online success. SocialMetricsPro solves the problem of how to find a simple, time-saving solution that gives WordPress users immediate feedback on the success of their social media marketing strategy and guides them how to improve their results.
SocialMetricsPro is ideal for beginners and advanced WordPress users alike. It tracks Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more directly from your WordPress admin area.
We recommend getting SocialMetricsPro if you own or manage WordPress sites and would like to save time and resources by focusing on under-optimized social campaigns.
For complete details, visit the plugin website here: SocialMetricsPro – Social Analytics Plugin