Are you losing customers because of a poorly-designed web site? A poorly-constructed web site can end up losing you valuable business.
In a world where attractive design matters, your website’s design can be important to your business success. Your website may be the first thing that your prospective customer sees and this could influence their decision to use your services.
Think about how you do research about services nowadays. Even if it’s only for doing preliminary research, we may jump online and go visit a site before taking the next step.
Now, put yourself in your prospect’s position. How does your web site appear to others? Does your site invite people to approach and explore things further, or does it make people confused and cautious about where to go next?
What your visitors see “above the fold” (i.e. what you first see in your screen) is only the tip of the iceberg. There are so many other factors than can affect your visitors’ experience and their decision to ultimately purchase from you.
Can WordPress Help Fix Poor Web Design?
Let’s take a look at some of the key design issues that can affect your website’s results:
Web Design Problems
Typical web design problems that can impact a user’s perception about your website include:
- Color – Unattractive color schemes can impact on your site’s results. This also applies to text and background color. There are tools that can help you specify web colors correctly and even safe web color palettes to help ensure that the palettes you want to use will display predictably across different web formats. If in doubt, seek the services of a professional web designer.
- Design Elements – Web pages that contain aesthetically unpleasant, outdated and just plain old hard to read typefaces can result in visitors quickly losing interest in away from your site. Visitors can also be affected by inconsistent graphic elements and overpowering use of design elements.
- Layout – How you lay out your page content can affect the way visitors navigate around your site. Layout considerations also include where your navigational menus, links, and other guiding elements such as search boxes are placed, where menus are positioned on your site, page columns, etc ….
- Responsiveness – As websites are now viewed by various devices with different-sized screens and browsers, it’s vitally important that your website’s design be fully responsive. If your web pages do not resize automatically to work on all devices, browsers, and platforms, you will lose potential customers.
Common website functionality issues include the following:
- Persistent website errors – A huge turn-off for visitors is arriving on a page where some hyperlinks don’t work, videos don’t play and images are missing. Subpar functionality is no longer acceptable, especially when your aim is to come across professionally. Your digital presence is a reflection of your business. It’s vitally important therefore, to ensure that all your links, videos, and images remain running smoothly all the time. Sometimes, problems could be related to things such as your web hosting, or you may not even be aware of it, but it’s important to ensure that you’re consistently proactive and that you get problems fixed immediately.
- Feature limitations – If your business offers users certain features or functionalities, then make sure that these are not limited. For example, if you intend to sell goods or services online, make sure that you provide users with full e-commerce functionality that allow them to easily choose and add products to a cart, apply discounts, purchase with a credit card or PayPal, receive notifications, receipts, and confirmations, etc.
Poor User Experience
Normally, where visitors suffer most due to a poorly-constructed web site is the “user experience”.
Anything less than a great user experience can leave a bad taste in users mouths and lead to sharing their disappointment in social networks, user forums, review sites, commenting sections, etc., bringing you unwanted negative attention.
Typical issues that can create a disappointing user experience can include the following:
- User-Friendly – Your site must be user-friendly. Information about your products and services should not be hard to find. Your visitors want user-friendly features and they want to find things as quickly and as effortlessly as possible. Make your content searchable and if you plan to add downloadable files to your site (e.g. forms and documents), make sure that users are given instructions on how to download and access your information.
- Organization – If your web site isn’t cleanly organized and user-friendly, you run the risk of losing not only prospective customers but existing clients as well. Having features like descriptive URLs, product and service categories and sections where your content can be easily found will help provide users with an enjoyable experience.
- Stimulating Web Site – Visitors stay longer on websites that are user friendly, easy to navigate, and that are eye-catching and stimulating. This means finding a balance between attractive, modern web design and compelling website copy that engages your visitors. For example, draw attention to links pointing to product pages with great product pictures alongside well-crafted descriptions. This is effective and will help you improve not only the user experience on your site, but can also help you get more sales and conversions.
- Interactive Website – Another area that helps to improve user experience on your website is to provide interactive features that engage customers, like the ability to comment on, share, like, download and recommend your content, interact with your staff via a responsive helpdesk, support forum, live chat, schedule appointments, make reservations, etc … Additionally, you want users to be able to navigate quickly within your website and access your data without waiting around for content to load, so site speed optimization is important.
- Reassurance – One of the most important and often most neglected aspects of creating a great user experience is to make sure that users feel confident doing business with you online. To reassure your visitors that you are credible, trustworthy, secure and professional to deal with, make sure to add legal pages such as a business information page, privacy statement, terms of usage, security information, FTC disclaimers, etc.
(Site design issues)
As the above shows, there are many areas that can contribute to a poor user experience and negatively impact your business results online. If your site is poorly constructed, you run the serious risk of not only losing prospective paying clients but also existing customers as well.
Now … what if you have arrived on our website because you currently have an existing site with design problems that are affecting your business?
First, keep in mind that getting issues fixed on an existing website can take some time and can also be quite costly depending on the problem and what kind of website you currently own, especially if the work requires editing web code extensively.
If you are in the process of getting a new website developed or redeveloping an existing website, then we highly suggest that you consider building or redesigning your site with the WordPress website publishing platform.
(WordPress can improve your website results!)
We currently provide a lot more posts about WordPress on this site, but here are just a few of the things to keep in mind about why you should seriously choose WordPress:
Themes – Unique Web Design Features
WP themes are unique web site design templates that let you quickly change the look and feel of your entire site without touching the site’s content or modifying the underlying software.
There are thousands of professional WP themes available that can be easily downloaded. Many themes are either free of charge, or are relatively cheap to buy, saving you hundreds of dollars on the cost of website design.
Most WordPress themes are responsive and provide users with highly customizable features for changing your site’s design settings like color, template elements like menus and headers, page layouts and more. This is just one of the many things that make WordPress such a powerful tool for helping you create a design for your website that ultimately helps your business.
You can learn about WP themes here:
Plugins – Virtually Unlimited Expansion
Another compelling reason to choose WordPress is that WordPress gives users scalable features through add-on applications called “plugins.”
WP plugins, like themes, integrate with your site to provide you with virtually unlimited flexibility.
Earlier we looked at areas like subpar functionality and feature limitations as part of the reason why a poorly constructed web site could lose you potential customers.
Plugins can help you overcome these issues and limitations quite easily and inexpensively. If there is a functionality you would like integrated into your site, just install a WordPress plugin that does what you want to get things done.
Need a plugin that will notify you immediately about any issues on your website such as links not working, videos not streaming, pictures that aren’t showing or even alert you if your entire website is down? No problems … there are plugins that can help you fix that, or let you know about problems so you can correct these immediately!
Want a plugin that will transform your website into an online store or provide you with a complete e-commerce system? Again, no problem! There are several inexpensive and easy-to-use WordPress plugins that will help you sell goods or services on your site and provide your users with full e-commerce functionality that allow them to choose and add products to a shopping cart, apply discount codes, order with credit card or PayPal, receive notifications, receipts and email confirmations, etc.
And just like themes, there are literally tens of thousands of fantastic WordPress plugins that can be easily downloaded for free, or that you can buy for a relatively reasonable price and will save you hundreds, even thousands of dollars on the cost of website development.
You can learn more about WP plugins here:
WordPress – An Immediate Website User Experience
In addition to being able to correct problems caused by a poorly-constructed web site, WordPress can also help you create a great user experience for your visitors.
WordPress provides beautiful and exciting themes that cover all needs and uses and functional plugins that allow web visitors to connect, engage and interact with you. With the right combination of a WordPress-driven website, WordPress themes, plugins and great content, you can create a a highly interactive and engaging user experience that will keep users returning again and again.
As we’ve previously stated, consumers will do research online before making a purchasing decision. If your website isn’t designed with customers in mind, they will not return and simply move on to another business that does offer them a better website.
Hopefully, now you have a better understanding of problems that can affect your web site and how WordPress can help you get better results online. To learn more about the benefits of using WordPress please see our related posts section.
"Wow! I never knew there's so much to learn about WordPress! I bought one of the WordPress for Dummies three years ago, such authors need to be on this course!" - Rich Law, Create A Blog Now