Your website or blog needs to comply with various federal, state and even local laws and regulatory guidelines, some of which you may not be aware of.
Being non-compliant puts you at risk of incurring serious financial losses and the loss of your reputation. Why risk your money and reputation, when you can protect yourself so easily and inexpensively?
In this article, we review a simple and inexpensive WordPress solution that can help make your website legally compliant just minutes.
Does Your Website Or Blog Comply With The Law?
As the digital business realm continues to grow at breakneck speed and rules are constantly changing, it’s important that you stay on top of what’s happening and to make sure that your website remains legal, especially if your online presence is a significant aspect of your business strategy.
Without legal pages on your web site (e.g. terms and conditions of use, privacy statement, financial disclaimers, etc.), many sites such as Google won’t let you advertise, digital marketplaces like ClickBank will not let you list your digital products for sale, PayPal could close down your account and freeze your funds, Facebook and many other social networks could suspend your web apps, and you won’t be allowed into a range of other advertising or merchant networks.
You may also be inadvertently leaving yourself open and vulnerable to lawsuits or legal action.
At the very least, without making it very clear to your visitors that your digital properties comply with all legal requirements and guidelines, trust and confidence in your business could be damaged.
Legal Disclaimer: Please note that we are not lawyers and we cannot offer legal advice on our website.
The purpose of this article is to make you aware that:
- Your website may be subject to a number of legal requirements in accordance with the laws that govern your business (some of which you may not even be aware of),
- How important it is to comply with the terms of service of third-party providers whose products or services you are promoting or endorsing online, and
- There are easy solutions for WordPress site owners that can help your site become more compliant, such as the tool that we discuss in this post.
If you suspect that your website or blog is falling short in terms of compliance, below we review a simple WordPress plugin you should know more about.
Compliance Bar – Website Compliance Plugin For WordPress
Compliance Bar Plugin is a total compliance and disclaimer solution for your site …
For more details go here: Compliance Bar Plugin
Benefits Of Using Compliance Bar Plugin
Below are just some of the benefits of using Compliance Bar to instantly make your web site legally compliant:
Fast And Simple To Install And Use. Ready To Go To Work In Minutes.
Compliance Bar Plugin is quite easy to install. Simply upload the plugin file to your Plugin folder via your WP administrator area and activate.
Easy To Edit Templates
Easily modify the default templates inside Compliance Bar from the settings menu using the visual editor.
Dedicated Plugin Support
The plugin developers provide dedicated plugin support to help you if you experience any problems.
Additional plugin benefits include the following:
- Customized Legal Page Templates: The Compliance Bar plugin will create your legal pages in seconds and customizes them to your business and website.
- Video Training: Compliance Bar is not complicated to use and a complete library of training videos is provided.
- Use In Every Country: As long as you consult a qualified legal representative to ascertain if the templates provided in the plugin are suitable and satisfactory for your business, country and website, you can use the plugin wherever you are located.
- Use On All WordPress Sites: If your website or blog is built with WordPress, you can use the plugin for every website purpose. Just select the templates you want to add to your site and leave out irrelevant pages.
Compliance Bar Plugin provides a number of features to WP users. Here are just a few of these:
- Quick and simple to install and configure. Be up and running in minutes.
- Show Attractive Icons – Display links to your compliance pages using attractive icons that can be placed on different locations on your pages. You can also upload icons of your choice.
- Display Sensitive Content – If you plan to display content that may be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. information related to alcohol, tobacco, adult-related, etc.), Compliance Bar can display pop-ups that force users to accept your site’s terms and disclaimers.
- EU Cookie Compliance – If you do business in the EU or display your content to EU visitors, you need to make users aware of your user cookies and notify them of how you use them. Compliance Bar displays an attractive bar that notifies users and covers your website from non-compliance.
- Record And Store IP Addresses – Compliance Bar records the IP address of your visitors for future reference, just in case someone accepts your terms or disclaimers and then claims otherwise.
- Shortcode Driven – The plugin uses shortcodes that populate the templates with your personal information. These shortcodes also allow you to place information anywhere on your site, (even in the popups).
- Mobile Friendly – Compliance Bar has settings for displaying on mobile devices and will display mobile optimized icons automatically depending on the mobile browser being used.
Compliance Bar Features – Details
After installing and activating the Compliance Bar plugin, you have access to a section where the plugin’s settings can be configured.
Let’s briefly review these areas …
There are a number of default categories in this area where your information can be entered (e.g. “Business Name,” “Support Email,” “Contact Phone,” “Product Name,” etc.). Not all categories are required, but some are (e.g. “Contact Name,” “Business Address,” etc.)
(Compliance Bar User Profile Section – Image source: plugin documentation)
The Compliance Bar Plugin uses shortcodes to dynamically populate the information from your User Profile into your legal page templates …
(Compliance Bar Plugin User Profile Screen: Shortcodes – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
Once the minimum required information has been entered into the profile fields, you can then access the other areas of the plugin.
The “Compliance Pages” section includes a list of all of your templates …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Legal Pages – Image source: plugin documentation)
Here’s the complete list of legal templates made available by the Compliance Bar plugin last time we checked the website:
- About Us
- AdSense Disclaimer
- Affiliate Agreements
- Affiliate Disclosure
- Amazon Affiliate Disclaimer
- Anti-Spam Policy
- Contact Us
- Copyright/DCMA Notice
- Double Dart Cookies
- Earnings Disclaimer
- External Links Policy
- FTC Statement
- Legal Disclaimer
- Linking Policy
- Medical Disclaimer
- Returns/Refund Policy
- Terms & Conditions
- Testimonial Disclosure
- XXX Disclosure
Creating compliance pages for your website can be easily done. Just select the checkboxes next to the pages you want to create and click ”Save” on the “Create Pages” screen …
(Compliance Bar: Legal Templates – Image source: plugin documentation)
Your legal pages will then be created and added to your “Pages” section.
Compliance Bar Icons
The plugin comes with a default set of icons for referencing your legal pages …
The Compliance Bar icons can be changed. You can purchase an additional set of icons from the plugin developer, or create/upload your own to match the style of your site’s design …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Compliance Page Template Icons – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
Edit / Delete Legal Pages
You can edit and delete your compliance templates from the “Compliance Pages” section, just as you would any typical WordPress page …
(Compliance Bar: Edit Compliance Templates – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
- Editing is recommended, as the pages contain generic content.
- The plugin indicates if it detects existing similar pages on your site (e.g. compliance pages created before installing the plugin).
The plugin offers many options to customize the Compliance Bar, including where to position the bar, whether to display links or icon images, background colors and images, icon size, specifying which pages to include an icon for in the Compliance Bar, whether or not to display the Compliance bar on your front page, which pages the Compliance Bar will display in, mobile settings, etc. …
(Compliance Bar Screen: Create Bar – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
- You can create several Compliance Bars to display different icons on different pages, or to cover a multitude of uses in other areas of your site.
- The plugin lets you display a Compliance Bar on the front page of your site, even if you are using a specific theme (like Genesis, Thesis or Woo), where the home page is configured through the theme settings as a built-in template, and not as a “regular” WordPress page.
- Due to the smaller size of mobile device screens, there is a limit to the number of page icons you can display if you turn Mobile Settings “on.”
Once you have specified your Compliance Bar settings, it will display links to your compliance pages using dynamic icon bar on your site …
You have full control over the location on your pages where you would like the compliance icons to be featured …
If your site has content that needs to be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. content related to alcohol, tobacco, adult, etc.), you can display popups that restricts access to visitors who do not accept your website’s terms or disclaimers.
The “Create Pop Up” area gives you full control over the settings and customization of your pop ups …
(Pop Ups Screen: Create Pop Up – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
You can create more than one Pop Up for different pages, or to cover different uses throughout your website …
You can also set a delay time if you don’t want a Pop Up to display as soon as visitors arrive, set a cookie duration to prevent Pop Ups from displaying again within a specific time interval, and even record the IP addresses of visitors who accept your terms and disclaimers for future reference …
(Pop Ups Screen: IP Log Details – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
If you do business in the EU or display your content to visitors in the EU, you need to make users aware of your user cookies and notify them of how you use them …
The plugin lets you customize the settings for compliance with EU Cookies requirements, including the wording of your notification message and link text in the “EU Cookies” section …
(EU Cookies Section: Manage Settings – Image source: plugin documentation)
Compliance Bar has a non-intrusive way of notifying your visitors and covering you from non-compliance.
The “Page Templates” area, lists all of your compliance templates and shortcodes, and lets you edit their content …
The “General Settings” screen, lets you access general information, such as promoting and sharing the plugin and receiving plugin updates …
Here are some of the testimonials plugin users have submitted regarding Compliance Bar:
”One of the Best Plugins I Have Used” Ray Lane – (The Video Guy)
”If you are like me, you maybe have quite a few WordPress sites, all needing attention and most importantly, all needing to be on the right side of the law! I’ve tried several legal pages plugins and in pretty much every case, they let me down. They simply cause more work than they solve.To me, the answer should be simple. It should work and it should let me get on with building my site. After all, I know I NEED to do this stuff, but hey, I don’t really WANT to! So, for me, I don’t want those plugins that cause more work than they solve. Simple eh? Well now it is because Anton & John have just created this baby that is the answer to my needs. The Compliance Bar Plugin does what I need it to do then lets me get on with my empire building…Perfect!” Tony Grant (Portfolio Sports)
Compliance Bar Plugin Tips
Below are some extra ways you can use The Compliance Bar Plugin:
- Display compliance icons on specific pages of your site only.
- Ending refund disputes by clearly spelling out refund terms before purchase.
- If your website contains content that is considered inappropriate for underaged viewers, you can force visitors to click to confirm that they are of legal age to access your content.
Compliance Bar provides users with a dedicated plugin support team to help you if you experience any difficulties. Users also have access to video training.
Additionally, your purchase is backed by a risk-free, 30 day, 200% refund guarantee. If your edition of Compliance Bar does not work within 30 days of purchase and it cannot be fixed within 48 hrs (Monday to Friday), your money will be refunded in double.
- Single Edition – Install the plugin on 1 of your own sites. Cost = $37 (Normally $127)
- Business License Edition – Can be installed on 25 domains that you own. Cost = $67.00 (Normally $197).
- Professional – Install the plugin on all sites that you own. Can be installed on all client sites for payment or part of a paid service. Cost = $97.00.
Note: The cost to purchase Compliance Bar Plugin depends on whether there are any promotions or limited-time special offers. When we last checked, the plugin is being retailed for the amounts shown above. This may not be the actual price set by the plugin seller when you visit the product site and there may be additional upsells or one-time offers after you’ve purchased.
Check the plugin’s website for current pricing details: Compliance Bar – WordPress Plugin For Website Compliance
Compliance Bar Plugin – Additional Information
Legal Templates Reviewed By Lawyers – The plugin developers assure users on their website that all legal page templates have already been reviewed and approved by lawyers. Nonetheless, we highly recommend that you get professional advice from a qualified legal expert in your area to ensure that your site is fully compliant.
For ”how-to” videos showing how the software works, including installation instructions and tutorials, FAQs, customer help desk, contact details and more, visit the Compliance Bar website.
The Bottom Line
Compliance Bar is an easy-to-use, simple and cost-effective solution for WordPress-powered sites. We recommend installing this plugin for WordPress users if you want immediate peace of mind and legal protection.
For full details, check out the plugin here: Compliance Bar – Compliance Bar – Website Compliance Plugin For WordPress
Disclaimer: Once again, please note that we are not lawyers and we offer no legal advice on our website. You must do your own due diligence and consult a legal expert about the best way of ensuring that your website fully complies with all legal requirements wherever your business is based.