Your website has to comply with a whole range of federal, state and even local laws, some of which you may probably not even be aware of.
Being non-compliant not only puts you at risk of incurring significant financial costs, but also the loss of your reputation. Why risk your money and your business reputation, when you can protect yourself so inexpensively?
In this post, we look at a simple and cost-effective WordPress solution that can help make your website compliant in minutes.
Does Your Website Or Blog Comply With The Law?
As the digital business realm continues to grow at an extraordinary rate and the rules are constantly changing, it’s vital that you stay informed about what’s happening and to make sure that your site remains legally compliant, especially if your digital presence is a fundamental part of your overall business strategy.
Without legal pages on your site (e.g. terms and conditions of use, privacy statement, earning disclaimers, etc.), many sites like Google won’t let you advertise, sites like ClickBank will not let you list your digital products on their network, PayPal may shut down your account and withhold payment of your funds, Facebook could suspend your applications, and you won’t be allowed into most other advertising and merchant networks.
You may also be inadvertently leaving yourself open and vulnerable to being exploited by opportunistic people or organizations.
At the very least, if your business online is not compliant, visitors may lose trust and confidence in your business.
Disclaimer: Please note that we are not lawyers and we offer no legal advice on our website.
The purpose of this post is to make you aware that:
- Your website may be subject to certain legal requirements in accordance with compulsory laws that govern your business,
- How important it is to remain compliant with the terms of service of third-party providers whose products or services you may be offering or using on your website, and
- There are inexpensive plugins for WordPress users that can help your site become more compliant, such as the plugin that we discuss below.
In this article, you will learn about a complete compliance & disclaimer plugin for a WordPress-based digital presence.
Compliance Bar Plugin – WordPress Compliance Plugin
Compliance Bar is a total compliance and disclaimer solution for your online business …
To learn more about this plugin go here: Compliance Bar
Compliance Bar Plugin Benefits
Here are just some of the many benefits and advantages of using Compliance Bar Plugin to instantly make your website or blog legally compliant:
Fast And Simple To Install And Set Up. Ready To Start Using In Minutes.
Compliance Bar Plugin installs just like any plugin. Simply upload the plugin file to your Plugins folder via your admin user account and activate.
Legal Page Templates Are Easy To Edit
Easily modify the pre-built legal templates inside the plugin from the settings menu using the WYSIWYG editor.
Dedicated 24/7 Support
Compliance Bar provides dedicated plugin support to assist you.
Some additional benefits include the following:
- Customized Legal Pages: The plugin will create your legal pages in seconds and customizes them to your business and website.
- Video Training: Compliance Bar is not complicated to use and a complete library of training videos is provided.
- Use In All Countries: As long as you consult a qualified legal representative to ascertain if the default legal templates provided with the plugin are suitable and satisfactory for your business, country and website, you can use the plugin anywhere in the world.
- Can Be Used On All WordPress Sites: As long as your website or blog is driven by WordPress, you can use the plugin for every website purpose. Select only the types of disclaimers which pertain to your particular business model (e.g. affiliate or CPA marketing, services, AdSense, AdWords, adult, medical, etc) and leave out those that you don’t require.
Compliance Bar offers many unique features to website owners. Below we have listed just some:
- Quick and easy to install and use. Be up and running in minutes.
- Display Attractive Icons – Display links to your compliance pages using attractive icons that can be positioned anywhere in your page. You can also upload your own icons.
- Display Sensitive Content – If you plan to show content that should be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. content related to alcohol, ecigs, adult-related, etc.), the plugin can display pop-ups that force users to accept your site’s terms or disclaimers.
- EU User Cookie Compliance – If you are based in Europe or display your content to EU visitors, you need to be aware of EU compliance laws. Compliance Bar displays an attractive bar that notifies your users and covers your business from non-compliance issues.
- Records & Stores IP Addresses – Compliance Bar records the IP address of your visitors for future reference, just in case someone accepts your terms or disclaimers and then claims otherwise.
- Shortcodes – The plugin uses shortcodes to automatically populate the templates with your personal information. These shortcodes also allow you to place information anywhere on your website, (even in the pop-ups).
- Compatible With All Mobile Devices – The plugin has settings for displaying on mobile devices and displays mobile optimized icons automatically based on visitor mobile browsers.
Plugin Features – Details
After installing and activating the plugin, the plugin’s “Settings” screen is added to your WP admin area.
Let’s review these briefly …
There are a number of default categories in this screen where your business details can be input (e.g. “Contact Name,” “Business Address,” “Contact Phone,” “Market Niche,” etc.). Not all categories are compulsory, but some are (e.g. “Contact Name,” “Company Address,” etc.)
(Compliance Bar Plugin User Profile Page – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
The Compliance Bar Plugin uses dynamic shortcodes to insert and display the information from your User Profile fields in your legal pages …
(Compliance Bar Plugin User Profile Section: Shortcodes – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Once the minimum required data has been input into the profile fields, users can then access the other areas of the plugin.
The “Compliance Pages” screen contains all of the templates …
(Compliance Bar: Compliance Templates – Image source: plugin documentation)
Last time we checked the Compliance Bar plugin website, there were over 22 compliance page templates made available:
- About Us
- AdSense Disclaimer
- Affiliate Agreements
- Affiliate Disclosure Statement
- Amazon Affiliate Disclaimer
- Anti-Spam Policy
- Contact Us
- Copyright/DCMA Notice
- Double Dart Cookies
- Earnings Disclaimer
- External Links Policy
- FTC Statement
- Legal Disclaimer
- Linking Policy
- Medical Disclaimer
- Returns/Refund Policy
- Terms & Conditions
- Testimonial Disclosure
- Adult Content Disclosure
You can easily and quickly create legal pages for your blog or website by simply selecting check boxes and clicking the “Save” button in the “Create Pages” screen …
(Compliance Bar: Legal Pages – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Your legal pages will then be created and added under your “Pages” section.
Compliance Bar Icons
The plugin comes with a default set of attractive icons for referencing your legal pages …
The icons are customizable. You can purchase additional icons from the plugin developer, or create/upload your own to match the style of your theme …
(Compliance Bar: Legal Template Icons – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
Edit / Delete Compliance Templates
You can customize and delete your legal disclaimer templates from the “Compliance Pages” area, just like any typical page in WordPress …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Edit Legal Templates – Image source: plugin documentation)
- Customizing is recommended, as the pages contain generic content.
- The plugin indicates if it detects existing similar pages on your site (e.g. pages created before installing the plugin).
The plugin offers many options to customize the Compliance Bar, including where to position the bar, whether to show links or icon images, background colors and images, icon size, specifying which pages should be included in the Compliance Bar, whether or not to display the Compliance bar on your main page, which pages the Compliance Bar will display in, mobile settings, etc. …
(Compliance Bar Section: Create Bar – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
- You can create more than one Compliance Bar to show different disclaimers on different pages, or to cover different uses throughout your site.
- The plugin lets you display the Compliance Bar on the front page of your website, even if you are using a specific theme (e.g. Genesis, Thesis or Woo), where the home page is specifically configured through the theme itself as a built-in template, and not as a normal “static” page.
- Due to the smaller size of mobile devices, there is a limit to the number of page icons you can display if you turn Mobile Settings “on.”
Once you have configured your Compliance Bar settings, it displays links to your legal using dynamic icon bar on your site …
You have complete control over the location on your pages where you would like your compliance icons to appear …
If you plan to publish content that needs to be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. content related to alcohol, ecigs, dating, etc.), the plugin can display pop-ups that blocks access to users who do not accept your site’s terms and disclaimers.
The “Create Pop Up” page lets you fully customize your pop ups …
(Pop Ups Section: Create Pop Up – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
You can create an unlimited number of customized Pop Ups for different pages, or to cover a multitude of uses in different sections of your site …
You can also set a delay time if you don’t want the Pop Ups to display as soon as visitors arrive, set cookie durations to prevent Pop Ups from appearing again within a specific time period, and store the IP addresses of visitors who accept your terms and disclaimers for future reference …
(Pop Ups Screen: IP Log Details – Image source: plugin documentation)
If you do business in Europe or display your content to EU visitors, you need to be aware of EU Cookie law …
The Compliance Bar plugin lets you manage the settings for compliance with EU Cookies requirements, including the wording of your notification message and link text in the “EU Cookies” tab …
(EU Cookies Screen: Manage Settings – Image source: plugin documentation)
Compliance Bar has a non-intrusive way of notifying your visitors and covering you from non-compliance.
The “Page Templates” screen, lists all of your legal pages and shortcodes, and lets you edit their content …
The “General Settings” screen, gives you access to general information, such as promoting and sharing the plugin and getting plugin updates …
Feedback From Users
Below are a few of the testimonials plugin users have published about the Compliance Bar Plugin plugin:
”One of the Best Plugins I Have Used” Ray Lane – (The Video Guy)
”I wanted to reach out & say Compliance Bar is a truly amazing product for keeping my online marketing efforts on the right side of the internet laws. Not only does it look fantastic on my sites, it is also intuitive and robustly powerful. It is packed full of features to allow me the flexibility to control exactly what my visitors need to see and know” Patrick Mauchant – PT Enviromate Technology
Compliance Bar Plugin – Useful Tips
Here are a few useful ways to use Compliance Bar:
- Display compliance icons on specific pages only.
- Reducing refund disputes by clearly spelling out your refund terms before customers purchase.
- If you have adult content on your site, you can force visitors to click to confirm that they are of legal age to view your content.
Plugin Developers provide users with a dedicated plugin support team to assist users if they experience any issues. You also have access to an entire set of training videos.
Additionally, your purchase is backed by a risk-free, 30 day, 200% money-back guarantee. If your copy of Compliance Bar does not work within 30 days of purchase and it cannot be fixed within 48 hours (Monday to Friday), the plugin developers will refund double your cost of purchasing.
- Single User License – Install the plugin on a single domain that you own. Price = $37 (Normally $127)
- Business Edition – Install the plugin on twenty-five of your own sites. Cost = $67.00 (Normally $197).
- Developer License Edition – Install the plugin on all sites that you own. Install the plugin on any client site for payment or part of a paid service. Cost = $97.00.
Please Note: Pricing details of the Compliance Bar Plugin software depends on whether there are any promotions or limited-time specials being offered. The price above was correct at the time this review was published. This may or may not be the actual pricing set by the software seller when you visit the website and there may be additional upsells or one-time offers after purchasing.
Check the plugin’s website for current pricing details: Compliance Bar Plugin
Additional Plugin Info
Legal Page Templates Approved By Lawyers – The plugin developers assert on their website that all legal page templates have been reviewed and approved by a leading lawyer. Nonetheless, we highly recommend that you get legal advice from a qualified legal expert in your area for your own peace of mind.
For a demo video showing plugin usage, including installation instructions and tutorials, FAQs, customer help desk, contact details and more, visit the Compliance Bar Plugin website.
Compliance Bar is an easy-to-use, simple and cost-effective solution for WordPress-powered websites. We recommend installing this plugin for WordPress users if you want immediate peace of mind and legal protection.
For full details, check out the plugin here: Compliance Bar – Compliance Bar – Compliance Plugin For WordPress
Important: Once again, please note that we are not lawyers and we offer no legal advice on our website. Do your own due diligence and consult a legal expert about the best way to ensure that your website fully complies with all legal requirements wherever your business is based.