Your digital presence must comply with many federal, state and even local laws and regulatory guidelines, some of which you are probably not even aware of.
Being non-compliant not only puts you at risk of incurring financial losses, but also the loss of your reputation. Why risk your money and reputation, when you can protect yourself so easily and inexpensively?
In this article, we review a simple and cost-effective WordPress solution that can help make your website legally compliant just minutes.
Does Your Site Comply With All Legal Requirements?
As the cybersphere continues to grow at breakneck speed and the rules are constantly changing, it’s important to stay informed about what’s going on and to make sure that your website remains compliant, especially if your web presence is an essential aspect of your business strategy.
If you do not display certain legal pages on your site (e.g. terms of service, privacy statement, legal disclaimers, etc.), many sites like Google won’t let you advertise, sites like ClickBank won’t allow you to list your digital products for sale, PayPal may shut down your account and withhold payment of your funds, Facebook could suspend your web applications, and you will not be allowed into many leading advertising and merchant networks.
You may also be inadvertently leaving yourself open and vulnerable to being slapped with a lawsuit.
At the very least, without making it clear to your visitors that your site complies with all legal requirements and guidelines, trust and confidence in your business could seriously diminish.
Legal Disclaimer: Please note that we are not lawyers and we are not offering legal advice on this website.
The purpose of this post is to make you aware that:
- Your website could be subject to certain legal requirements in accordance with mandatory federal, state and local laws and regulations that govern your business (some of which you may probably not even be aware of),
- The importance of maintaining compliance with the terms of service of third-party providers whose products or services you are promoting or using on your website, and
- There are easy-to-install solutions that can help your business become more compliant, such as the plugin that we discuss below.
In this article, we review a simple plugin for WordPress-powered websites and blogs that provides a total compliance and disclaimer solution for your digital presence.
Today’s WordPress Plugin Is …
Compliance Bar – Website Compliance Plugin For WordPress
Compliance Bar is an easy-to-install plugin for WordPress-powered websites and blogs that includes over twenty customizable compliance templates for your site …
To learn more about the plugin go here: Compliance Bar
Compliance Bar Plugin Benefits
Below we have listed just some of the benefits and advantages of using Compliance Bar Plugin to instantly make your web site compliant:
Fast And Simple To Install And Use. Ready To Go To Work In Minutes.
Compliance Bar Plugin is very easy to install. Simply upload the plugin file to your Plugins folder via your WP administrator login and activate.
Compliance Page Templates Are Easy To Edit
You can easily modify the built-in legal page templates inside Compliance Bar from the settings menu using the WordPress visual editor.
The plugin developers provide a dedicated team to assist you if you experience any difficulties.
Some additional benefits include:
- Customized Legal Page Templates: The plugin will create your legal pages in seconds and customizes them to your business and website.
- Complete Video Training Library: Compliance Bar is not difficult to use and a full library of training videos is provided.
- Use In Every Country: As long as you consult someone who is qualified to give you legal advice to make sure that the built-in legal templates provided with Compliance Bar are suitable and satisfactory for your business, country and website, you can use the plugin wherever your business is located.
- Can Be Used On All WordPress Sites: If your site runs on WordPress, you can use the plugin for any website purpose. Just select the compliance pages you want to include in your site and ignore any unnecessary pages.
Compliance Bar Features
Compliance Bar provides many features to WP users. Below we have listed just some:
- Quick and easy to install and implement. Ready to use in minutes.
- Show Attractive Icon Bar – Compliance Bar displays links to your compliance pages using attractive icons that can be placed anywhere on your page. You can also upload your own icons.
- Display Restricted Content – If your site has content that should be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. content related to alcohol, ecigs, adult content, etc.), Compliance Bar can display popups that require users to accept your terms and disclaimers.
- EU Cookie Compliance – If you do business in the EU or display your content to EU visitors, you must make users aware of your user cookies and notify them of how you use them. Compliance Bar displays an attractive bar notifying users and covering your site from non-compliance issues.
- Records And Stores IP Addresses – Compliance Bar records and stores the IP address of your visitors for reference, just in case a visitor accepts your terms or disclaimers and then claims they haven’t.
- Shortcode Driven – The plugin is integrated with shortcodes that automatically populate the templates with your personal information. These shortcodes also allow you to place information anywhere on your site or blog, (including the popups).
- Mobile Friendly – Compliance Bar has individual settings for displaying on mobile devices and displays mobile optimized icons automatically based on the web browser being used.
Using Compliance Bar
After installing and activating the Compliance Bar plugin, the plugin’s “Settings” area gets added to your WordPress admin area.
Let’s briefly review these …
There are a number of default categories in this section where your business information can be entered (e.g. “Website URL,” “Registered Company Address,” “Location Details,” “Product Name,” etc.). Not all categories are compulsory, but some are (e.g. “Contact Name,” “Company Phone Number,” etc.)
(Compliance Bar User Profile Section – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
The Compliance Bar Plugin uses shortcodes to dynamically populate and display the information in your legal pages …
(Compliance Bar Plugin User Profile Page: Shortcodes – Image source: plugin documentation)
Once the minimum required data has been entered into the user profile fields, users can then access the other plugin screens.
The “Compliance Pages” area lists all of the compliance pages …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Compliance Pages – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
When we last checked the plugin website, there were over 22 legal pages available for complying with online business laws and regulations:
- About Us
- AdSense Disclaimer
- Affiliate Agreements
- Affiliate Disclosure Statement
- Amazon Affiliate Disclaimer
- Anti-Spam Policy
- Contact Us
- Copyright/DCMA Notice
- Double Dart Cookies
- Earnings Disclaimer
- External Links Policy
- FTC Statement
- Legal Disclaimer
- Linking Policy
- Medical Disclaimer
- Returns/Refund Policy
- Terms & Conditions
- Testimonial Disclosure
- Adult Content Disclosure
Creating compliance pages for your blog or website can be easily done. Just select the checkboxes next to the pages you want to create and click ”Save” in the “Compliance Pages” screen …
(Compliance Bar: Compliance Templates – Image source: plugin documentation)
Your legal pages will then be created and added inside the “Pages” section of your site.
Compliance Bar Icons
The plugin comes with a built-in set of attractive icons for referencing your legal pages …
Icons can be changed. You can purchase an additional set of icons from the plugin developer, or create/upload your own to match the style of your site’s design …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Legal Page Icons – Image source: plugin documentation)
Edit / Delete Legal Page Templates
You can customize and delete the compliance disclaimers in the “Compliance Pages” area, just as you would any typical page in WordPress …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Edit Legal Page Templates – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
- Customizing your compliance pages is recommended, as the pages contain generic content.
- The plugin notifies you if it detects existing similar pages on your site (e.g. pages created before you installed the plugin).
The plugin offers many options to customize the Compliance Bar, including position, displaying links or icon images, background colors and images, icon size, specifying which pages should be included in the Compliance Bar, whether or not to display the Compliance bar on your home page, which pages the Compliance Bar will display in, mobile settings, and offset distance …
(Compliance Bar Section: Create Bar – Image source: plugin documentation)
- You can create multiple Compliance Bars to display different disclaimers on different pages, or to cover a range of uses in different sections of your website.
- The plugin lets you display the Compliance Bar on the front page of your website, even if you are using particular themes (like Genesis, Thesis or WooThemes), where the home page is specifically configured through the theme settings as a built-in template, and not as a “regular” WordPress page.
- Due to the smaller size of mobile device screens, you can only select up to a certain number of page icons to display if you turn Mobile Settings “on.”
Once you have specified your Compliance Bar settings, it will display links to your compliance pages through a visually attractive icon bar on your site …
You have full control over the location on your pages where you would like to feature the compliance bar …
If your website has content that needs to be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. information related to alcohol, ecigs, adult-related, etc.), the plugin can display popups that require users to accept your site’s terms or disclaimers.
The “Create Pop Up” screen gives you complete control over the settings and wordings of your pop ups …
(Pop Ups Screen: Create Pop Up – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
You can create more than one Pop Up for different pages, or to cover a multitude of uses throughout your website …
You can also specify a delay time if you don’t want a Pop Up to display as soon as visitors arrive, set cookie durations to prevent Pop Ups from displaying again within a specific time period, and store the IP addresses of visitors who accept your terms and disclaimers for future reference …
(Pop Ups Section: IP Log Details – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
If your business is based in Europe or display your content to visitors in the EU, you need to be aware of EU Cookie law …
Compliance Bar lets you customize the settings for compliance with EU Cookies requirements, including the wording of your notification message and link text in the “EU Cookies” section …
(EU Cookies Section: Manage Settings – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
Compliance Bar has a non-intrusive way of notifying your visitors and covering you from non-compliance.
The “Page Templates” area, lists all of your legal page templates and shortcodes, and lets you modify their content …
The “General Settings” tab, gives you access to general information, such as promoting and sharing the plugin and receiving plugin updates …
Feedback From Users
Here are a couple of the testimonials that customers have submitted regarding Compliance Bar Plugin:
”When I got my hands on Compliance Bar, I knew I needed help to be compliant, but I had no idea how much danger I was in, nor did I know all of the different things I needed to be compliant. Once I installed Compliance Bar, I was able to very quickly add all the items I needed to ensure I didn’t end up getting fined by various agencies, or have my site pulled from Google. The best part is that getting it all set up took only minutes, and I know that I am far safer than I was. Compliance Bar is one of the best plugins I have used in a long time.” Ray Lane – (The Video Guy)
”Truly Amazing Product!” Patrick Mauchant – PT Enviromate Technology
Below are a few additional ways to use The Compliance Bar Plugin:
- Display compliance icons on specific pages of your website only.
- Minimize refund disputes by clearly spelling out your refund terms before purchase.
- If your site contains adult content, you can force visitors to click to confirm that they are of legal age to access your content.
Compliance Bar provides users with dedicated plugin support to help you. Plugin users also get access to video training manuals.
Additionally, your purchase is backed by a no-risk, thirty day, 200% refund guarantee. If your version of Compliance Bar does not work within 30 days of purchase and it cannot be fixed within 48 hours (M – F), your purchase price will be refunded in double.
- Single User License – Can be installed on a single site that you own. Price = $47 (Normally $127)
- Business – Can be installed on twenty-five of your own domains. Cost = $67.00 (Normally $197).
- Professional License – Install the plugin on all of your own domains. Install the plugin on all client sites for payment or as part of a paid service. Price = $97.00.
Please Note: The price of Compliance Bar Plugin can vary, depending on whether there are any promotions or limited-time special offers. The pricing above was correct when this article was written. This may not be the actual price charged by the product seller when you visit the plugin website and you may be shown additional upsells or one-time offers after purchasing.
Check the plugin’s website for current pricing details: Compliance Bar Plugin
Additional Plugin Info
Legal Pages Approved By Lawyers – The plugin developers state on their website that all legal templates have already been reviewed and approved by lawyers. Nonetheless, we highly recommend that you get professional advice from a qualified legal expert in your area for your own peace of mind.
For ”how-to” videos of the plugin in action, including installation instructions and tutorials, FAQs, customer helpdesk, contact details and more, visit the Compliance Bar website.
Install The Plugin
Compliance Bar is an easy-to-use, simple and cost-effective solution for WordPress-driven websites and blogs. We recommend installing this plugin for WordPress users if you want immediate peace of mind and legal protection.
For more information, visit the plugin website here: Compliance Bar – Compliance Bar – WP Website Compliance Plugin
Important: Once again, please note that we are not lawyers and we offer no legal advice here. Do your own due diligence and consult a legal expert about the best way of ensuring that your website fully complies with the law wherever your business is based.