Your internet presence must comply with a number of laws and regulatory guidelines, many of which you may probably not even be aware of.
Being non-compliant not only puts you at risk of suffering serious financial costs, but also the cost to your reputation. Why risk your money and your business reputation, when you can protect yourself so easily and inexpensively?
In this article, we review a simple and cost-effective WordPress solution that can help make your website legally compliant in minutes.
Does Your Website Comply With The Law?
As the cybersphere continues to grow at breakneck speed and rules constantly change, it’s vital to stay informed about what’s happening and to make sure that your website or blog remains legally compliant, especially if your web presence is an essential component of your overall business strategy.
If there are no legal pages on your web site (e.g. terms of service, privacy statement, earning disclaimers, etc.), many third-party sites such as Google won’t let you advertise, sites like ClickBank will not let you list your digital products on their network, PayPal may close down your account and withhold payment of your funds, Facebook will suspend your web apps, and you will not be allowed into a range of advertising and merchant networks.
If your online business is not compliant, you could face a number of penalties, including fines, having your website shut down, even jail time!
At the very least, if you don’t make it clear to your visitors that your website complies with legal requirements and regulations, visitors may lose trust and confidence in your business.
(In addition to legal and regulatory compliance, almost all 3rd-party websites require you to comply with their policies and guidelines!)
Disclaimer: Please note that we are not lawyers and we cannot offer legal advice on this website.
The purpose of this article is to make you aware that:
- Your website may be subject to a number of legal requirements in accordance with federal, state or local laws that govern your business,
- How important it is to maintain compliance with the terms of service of third-party providers whose products or services you are promoting or endorsing online, and
- There are easy solutions that can help your business become more compliant, such as the plugin that we review in this post.
In this article, we review a simple WordPress plugin that provides a total compliance & disclaimer solution for your digital presence.
Compliance Bar Plugin – WP Compliance Plugin
Compliance Bar Plugin is a complete compliance & disclaimer solution for your digital business …
To learn more about this plugin go here: Compliance Bar Plugin
Here we have listed just some of the many benefits of using Compliance Bar Plugin to instantly make your site legally compliant:
Ready To Go To Work In Very Little Time
Compliance Bar installs like every WP plugin. Just upload a zip folder containing the plugin to your Plugins folder via your admin section and activate.
Templates Are Really Easy To Edit
You can easily make changes to the prebuilt legal page templates inside the plugin from the settings menu with the WYSIWYG content editor.
Compliance Bar provides dedicated support to assist users.
Additional plugin benefits include:
- Customized Compliance Templates: The plugin creates your legal pages in seconds and customizes them to your business and website.
- Video Training Library: Compliance Bar is not complicated to use - a full library of training videos is provided.
- Use In Every Country: As long as you consult a qualified legal representative to make sure that the legal templates provided with the plugin are suitable and satisfactory for your business, country and website, you can use the plugin anywhere in the world.
- Use For Any Website Purpose: If your website or blog is powered by WordPress, you can use the plugin for any website purpose. Select only the types of disclaimers which pertain to your particular business model (e.g. affiliate or CPA marketing, services, AdSense, AdWords, adult, medical, etc) and ignore those that are unnecessary.
Compliance Bar Plugin offers a number of great features to site owners. Below we have listed just some:
- Fast and easy to install and set up. Be up and running in very little time.
- Display Visually Appealing Icon Bar – Display links to your legal pages using attractive icons that can be positioned on different locations in your page. You can also upload your own icons.
- Show Sensitive Content – If you plan to display content that needs to be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. content related to alcohol, tobacco, adult, etc.), Compliance Bar can display pop-ups that require users to accept your site’s terms and disclaimers.
- EU User Cookie Compliance – If you are based in Europe or display your content to EU visitors, you must be aware of EU compliance laws. Compliance Bar displays an attractive bar that notifies users and covers your website from non-compliance issues.
- Records And Stores IP Acceptance – The plugin can record and store your visitors’ IP address for future reference, just in case a visitor accepts your terms or disclaimers and then claims otherwise.
- Shortcodes – Compliance Bar uses shortcodes to populate templates with your personal information. These shortcodes also allow you to place information anywhere on your website, (including the popups).
- Compatible With Mobile Devices – The plugin has settings for displaying on mobile devices and can display mobile optimized icons automatically depending on visitor web browsers.
Using Compliance Bar
Once you have installed the Compliance Bar plugin, users will then get access to a number of settings pages.
Let’s go through these settings briefly …
There are a number of default fields in this area where your information can be entered (e.g. “Business Name,” “Support Desk URL,” “Contact Phone,” “Market Niche,” etc.). Not all categories are required, but some are (e.g. “Business Name,” “Support Email,” etc.)
(Compliance Bar Plugin User Profile Screen – Image source: plugin documentation)
The plugin uses shortcodes to insert the information in your legal page templates …
(Compliance Bar Plugin User Profile Section: Shortcodes – Image source: plugin documentation)
Once the minimum required information has been entered into the plugin settings fields, users can then access the other sections of the plugin.
The “Compliance Pages” section includes a list of all of your page templates …
(Compliance Bar: Legal Pages – Image source: plugin documentation)
Last time we checked the plugin website, there were over 20 compliance templates available for complying with online business laws and regulations:
- About Us
- AdSense Disclaimer
- Affiliate Agreements
- Affiliate Disclosure Statement
- Amazon Affiliate Disclaimer
- Anti-Spam Policy
- Contact Us
- Copyright/DCMA Notice
- Double Dart Cookies
- Earnings Disclaimer
- External Links Policy
- FTC Statement
- Legal Disclaimer
- Linking Policy
- Medical Disclaimer
- Returns/Refund Policy
- Terms & Conditions
- Testimonial Disclosure
- Adult Content Disclosure
You can easily and quickly create compliance pages for your blog or website simply by selecting checkboxes and clicking the “Save” button at the bottom of the “Create Pages” tab …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Legal Templates – Image source: plugin documentation)
Your legal pages will then be created and added under the “Pages” section of your site.
Compliance Bar Icons
The plugin is installed with a default set of attractive icons for referencing your legal pages …
Icons can be changed. You can purchase an additional set of icons from the plugin developer, or create/upload your own to match the style of your site’s design …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Compliance Template Icons – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
Edit / Delete Legal Templates
You can modify and delete the compliance templates from the “Compliance Pages” section, just like any other WordPress page …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Edit Compliance Page Templates – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
- Customizing the legal pages is recommended, as the pages contain generic content.
- The plugin indicates if it detects existing similar pages on your site (e.g. compliance pages created before you installed the plugin).
The plugin offers many options to customize the Compliance Bar, including position, whether to display links or icon images, background colors and images, image size, specifying which pages to include an icon for in the Compliance Bar, whether or not to display the Compliance bar on your main page, which pages the Compliance Bar will display in, mobile settings, and more …
(Compliance Bar Screen: Create Bar – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
- You can create more than one Compliance Bar to display different disclaimers on different pages, or to cover a multitude of uses throughout your site.
- The plugin allows you to display the Compliance Bar on the main page of your site, even if you are using particular themes (e.g. Genesis, Thesis or Woo), where the home page is specifically configured through the theme itself as a built-in template, and not as a “regular” page.
- Due to the smaller size of mobile devices, there is a limit to the number of page icons you can display if you turn Mobile Settings “on.”
Once you have configured your Compliance Bar settings, it displays links to your compliance pages using dynamic icon bar on your site …
You have complete control over the location on your pages where you would like the compliance icons to appear …
If you plan to publish content that needs to be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. information related to alcohol, tobacco, adult-related, etc.), Compliance Bar can display pop-ups that require users to accept your site’s terms and disclaimers.
The “Create Pop Up” area gives you complete control over the settings and wordings of your pop ups …
(Pop Ups Screen: Create Pop Up – Image source: plugin documentation)
You can create more than one Pop Up displaying on different pages, or to cover a multitude of uses in different areas of your website …
You can also specify a delay time if you don’t want the Pop Ups to display as soon as visitors arrive, set cookie durations to prevent Pop Ups from displaying again within a specific time interval, and record the IP addresses of visitors who accept your terms and disclaimers for future reference …
(Pop Ups Screen: IP Log Details – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
If your business is based in Europe or display your content to EU visitors, you need to be aware of EU compliance requirements …
The Compliance Bar plugin lets you edit the settings for compliance with EU User Cookies requirements, including the wording of your notification message and link text in the “EU Cookies” screen …
(EU Cookies Section: Manage Settings – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
Compliance Bar has a non-intrusive way of notifying your visitors and covering you from non-compliance.
The “Page Templates” screen, lists all of your legal templates and shortcodes, and lets you edit the page content …
The “General Settings” area, lets you access general information, such as promoting and sharing the plugin and receiving plugin update notifications …
Here are a couple of the testimonials that plugin customers have published about Compliance Bar Plugin:
”WOW” Shon Chris – Director (JV Peer Group)
”I wanted to reach out & say Compliance Bar is a truly amazing product for keeping my online marketing efforts on the right side of the internet laws. Not only does it look fantastic on my sites, it is also intuitive and robustly powerful. It is packed full of features to allow me the flexibility to control exactly what my visitors need to see and know” Patrick Mauchant – PT Enviromate Technology
Compliance Bar Plugin Tips
Here are some additional ways to use Compliance Bar:
- Display compliance icons on specific pages only.
- End refund disputes by clearly spelling out the refund terms before purchase.
- If your site published content for adults only, you can force visitors to click to confirm that they are of legal age to view your content.
Compliance Bar provides users with dedicated support to help users. You also get access to complete video training manuals.
Additionally, your purchase is backed by a no-risk, 30 day, 200% money-back guarantee. If your version of Compliance Bar does not work within 30 days of purchase and it cannot be fixed within 48 business hours (M – F), your cost of purchase will be refunded in double.
Product Licensing Cost
- Single – Install the plugin on a single domain. Cost = $37 (Normally $127)
- Business License – Can be installed on twenty-five domains that you own. Price = $67.00 (Normally $197).
- Developer – Can be installed on multiple sites that you own. Install the plugin on all client sites as part of a paid service. Price = $97.00.
Please Note: Price details for the Compliance Bar product can vary, depending on whether there are any promotions or limited-time specials being offered. The pricing shown above was current at the time this content was written. This may or may not be the actual pricing charged by the plugin developer when you visit the plugin website and there may be additional upsells or one-time offers after your purchase.
Check the plugin’s website for current pricing details: Compliance Bar Plugin – Compliance Plugin For WordPress
Compliance Bar – Additional Information
Templates Reviewed By Lawyers – The plugin developers assure users on their website that all legal page templates have been reviewed and approved by lawyers. Nonetheless, we strongly recommend that you get professional advice from a qualified legal expert in your area for your peace of mind.
For demo videos showing how the software works, including help documentation and tutorials, FAQs, support helpdesk, contact details and more, visit the Compliance Bar Plugin website.
Compliance Bar is an easy-to-use, simple and cost-effective solution for WordPress-driven websites and blogs. We recommend installing this WordPress plugin if you want immediate peace of mind and legal protection.
To learn more, check out the plugin here: Compliance Bar Plugin – Compliance Bar Plugin – WordPress Plugin For Website Compliance
Legal Disclaimer: Once again, we are not lawyers and we cannot offer legal advice on our website. You must do your own due diligence and consult a legal expert about the best way of ensuring that your website fully complies with the law in your country or region.