If your website doesn’t comply with laws designed to protect consumer rights, you’re breaking the law.
Being non-compliant not only puts you at risk of incurring serious financial losses, but also the loss of your reputation. Why risk your money and your business reputation, when you can protect yourself so inexpensively?
In this article, we review a simple and easy-to-use solution for WordPress users that can help make your website legally compliant in minutes.
Is Your Website Or Blog Legally Compliant?
As the digital realm continues to grow at an extraordinary rate and the rules of the game keep changing, it’s important to stay informed about what’s happening and to make sure that your website or blog remains compliant with all laws and regulations, especially if your online presence is a fundamental part of your business strategy.
If there are no legal pages on your site (e.g. terms and conditions of use, privacy statement, legal disclaimers, etc.), many sites such as Google won’t let you advertise, digital marketplaces like ClickBank will not approve your digital products for sale, PayPal may close down your account and withhold payment of your funds, Facebook and other social sites could suspend your apps, and you will not be allowed into a number of leading advertising or affiliate marketing networks.
You may also be inadvertently leaving yourself open and vulnerable to legal action.
At the very least, if you are not compliant, it may impact on your visitors trust and confidence about doing future business with you.
Legal Disclaimer: We are not lawyers and we offer no legal advice on this website.
The purpose of this post is to make you aware that:
- Your website could be subject to various legal requirements in accordance with compulsory laws that govern your business,
- How important it is to remain compliant with the terms of service of third-party providers whose products or services you may be offering or endorsing on your website, and
- There are easy solutions for WordPress site owners that can help your site become compliant, such as the solution that we review below.
If you suspect that your website is lacking in terms of compliance, there is a simple WordPress plugin you should know more about.
Our WordPress Plugin Of The Month Is …
Compliance Bar – WordPress Plugin For Website Compliance
The Compliance Bar WordPress Plugin is a total compliance and disclaimer solution for your web presence …
Go here to learn more: Compliance Bar
Here are just a few of the benefits of using Compliance Bar Plugin to instantly make your site compliant:
Be Up And Running In Minutes
Compliance Bar Plugin is very easy to install. Just upload a zip file that contains the plugin to your Plugins folder via your WP admin login and activate.
Easy To Edit Page Templates
Easily edit the built-in legal page templates inside Compliance Bar from the settings menu with the visual editor.
The plugin developers provide dedicated plugin support to help you with anything you need.
Some additional benefits and advantages include the following:
- Customized Legal Templates: The Compliance Bar plugin creates your legal pages in seconds and customizes them to your business and website.
- Full Video Training Manuals: Compliance Bar is not difficult to use and a full library of training videos is provided.
- Use In All Countries: As long as you consult a qualified legal representative to make sure that the legal page templates provided in Compliance Bar are suitable and satisfactory for your business, country and website, you can use the plugin wherever your business is located.
- Can Be Used For Every Website Purpose: If your website is driven by WordPress, you can use the plugin for all kinds of websites. Just select the templates you need to add to your site and ignore unnecessary pages.
Compliance Bar Plugin provides a number of great features to WP users. Below we have listed just a few:
- Fast and easy to install and set up. Be up and running in minutes.
- Display Attractive Icon Bar – Display links to your compliance pages using attractive icons that can be placed on different locations in your pages. You can also upload icons of your choice.
- Display Restricted Information – If you plan to display content that needs to be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. content related to alcohol, ecigs, adult-related, etc.), Compliance Bar can display pop-ups that force users to accept your terms or disclaimers.
- EU User Cookie Compliance – If your business is based in the EU or display your content to visitors in the EU, you need to be aware of EU compliance requirements. Compliance Bar displays an attractive bar notifying your users and covering your site from non-compliance issues.
- Records & Stores IP Addresses – Compliance Bar records and stores the IP address of your visitors for reference, just in case a visitor accepts your terms or disclaimers and then claims otherwise.
- Shortcodes – The plugin uses shortcodes to populate the templates with your personal information. These shortcodes also allow you to place information anywhere on your site or blog, (including the pop-ups).
- Mobile Friendly – Compliance Bar has individual settings for displaying on mobile devices and displays mobile optimized icons automatically based on visitor mobile browsers.
Using Compliance Bar
Once you have installed the Compliance Bar plugin, the plugin’s “Settings” area will be added to your WP admin area.
Let’s review these settings briefly …
There are a number of default fields in this area where your business information can be entered (e.g. “Contact Name,” “Support Desk URL,” “Location Details,” “Niche Market,” etc.). Not all categories are required, but some are (e.g. “Website URL,” “Registered Business Address,” etc.)
(Compliance Bar Plugin User Profile Page – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
The Compliance Bar Plugin uses shortcodes to populate the information you have input into your User Profile inside your legal page templates …
(Compliance Bar User Profile Page: Shortcodes – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Once the minimum required information has been entered into the user profile fields, you can then access the other sections of the plugin.
The “Compliance Pages” section lists all of the plugin’s templates …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Compliance Templates – Image source: plugin documentation)
Here’s the full list of template pages made available by the Compliance Bar plugin when we last checked their site:
- About Us
- AdSense Disclaimer
- Affiliate Agreements
- Affiliate Disclosure
- Amazon Affiliate Disclaimer
- Anti-Spam Policy
- Contact Us
- Copyright/DCMA Notice
- Double Dart Cookies
- Earnings Disclaimer
- External Links Policy
- FTC Statement
- Legal Disclaimer
- Linking Policy
- Medical Disclaimer
- Returns/Refund Policy
- Terms & Conditions
- Testimonial Disclosure
- XXX Disclosure
Creating compliance pages for your site is a simple process. Just select the checkboxes next to the pages you want to create and click ”Save” at the bottom of the “Create Pages” section …
(Compliance Bar: Legal Templates – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
Your legal pages will then be created and added to the “Pages” section of your WordPress site.
Compliance Bar Icons
The plugin comes with a default set of attractive icons for referencing your legal pages …
Icons can be changed. You can purchase an additional set of icons from the plugin developer, or create/upload your own to match the style of your theme …
(Compliance Bar: Compliance Page Icons – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
Edit / Delete Legal Page Templates
You can easily edit and delete the compliance templates from the “Compliance Pages” tab, just as you would any typical WordPress page …
(Compliance Bar: Edit Compliance Page Templates – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
- Editing your legal pages is recommended, as the pages contain generic content.
- The plugin notifies you if it detects existing similar pages on your site (e.g. pages created before installing the plugin).
The plugin settings area provides many options to customize the Compliance Bar, including position, whether to show links or icon images, background colors and images, icon size, selecting which pages to include an icon for in the Compliance Bar, whether or not to display the Compliance bar on your main page, which pages the Compliance Bar will display in, mobile settings, and offset distance …
(Compliance Bar Screen: Create Bar – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
- You can create more than one Compliance Bar to show different disclaimers on different pages, or to cover a multitude of uses in different sections of your website.
- The plugin allows you to display a Compliance Bar on the home page of your website, even if you are using particular themes (e.g. Genesis, Thesis or WooThemes), where the home page is specifically configured through the theme itself as a built-in template, and not as a “regular” WordPress page.
- Due to the smaller size of mobile devices, there is a limit to the number of page icons you can display if you turn Mobile Settings “on.”
Once you have specified your Compliance Bar settings, it will display links to your legal using dynamic icon bar on your site …
You have full control over the location on your pages where you would like the compliance icons to display …
If your site has content that may be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. content related to alcohol, ecigs, adult, etc.), the plugin can display pop-ups that require users to accept your site’s terms or disclaimers.
The “Create Pop Up” screen lets you fully customize your pop ups …
(Pop Ups Section: Create Pop Up – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
You can create multiple Pop Ups for different pages, or to cover various uses in other areas of your website …
You can also specify a delay time to prevent a Pop Up from displaying immediately, set cookie durations to prevent Pop Ups from appearing again within a specific time period, and record the IP addresses of visitors who accept your terms and disclaimers for future reference …
(Pop Ups Screen: IP Log Details – Image source: plugin documentation)
If you are based in Europe or display your content to visitors in the EU, you need to be aware of EU compliance laws …
The Compliance Bar plugin lets you manage the settings for compliance with EU User Cookies requirements, including the wording of your notification message and link text in the “EU Cookies” section …
(EU Cookies Screen: Manage Settings – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
Compliance Bar has a non-intrusive way of notifying your visitors and covering you from non-compliance.
The “Page Templates” area, lists all of your legal disclaimers and shortcodes, and lets you edit their content …
The “General Settings” tab, gives you access to general information, such as promoting and sharing the plugin and getting plugin updates …
Here are a few of the testimonials and comments customers have written about Compliance Bar Plugin:
”I got a chance to review the Compliance Bar plugin…WOW!! I have to say that its definitely one of the most NECESSARY, yet easiest to use plugin’s to hit the scene in a while. Very Solid Product. Great job Anton & team!” Shon Chris – Director (JV Peer Group)
”I wanted to reach out & say Compliance Bar is a truly amazing product for keeping my online marketing efforts on the right side of the internet laws. Not only does it look fantastic on my sites, it is also intuitive and robustly powerful. It is packed full of features to allow me the flexibility to control exactly what my visitors need to see and know” Patrick Mauchant – PT Enviromate Technology
Compliance Bar Plugin Tips
Here are some additional ways you can use Compliance Bar:
- Displaying compliance icons only on specific pages of your website.
- Minimizing refund disputes by clearly spelling out the refund terms before purchase.
- If you publish content that is inappropriate for minors on your website, you can force visitors to click to confirm that they are of legal age to view your content.
Plugin Developers provide users with a dedicated support team to assist you. Users also have access to complete video training.
Additionally, your purchase is backed by a risk-free, thirty day, 200% refund guarantee. If your edition of Compliance Bar does not work within 30 days of purchase and it cannot be fixed within 48 business hours (M – F), the plugin developers will refund twice the amount of your cost of purchase.
Product License Price
- Single Site Personal License – Can be installed on 1 of your own domains. Cost = $37 (Normally $127)
- Business – Can be installed on twenty-five sites that you own. Cost = $67.00 (Normally $197).
- Developer Licensing – Install the plugin on all sites that you own. Install the plugin on any client site for payment or as part of a paid service. Price = $97.00.
Please Note: Price details for Compliance Bar depends on whether there are any promotions or limited-time specials being offered. The price shown above was correct at the time this content was written. This may or may not be the actual pricing charged by the product developer when you visit the plugin website and you may be shown additional upsells or one-time offers after your purchase.
Check the plugin’s website for current pricing details: Compliance Bar Plugin – Compliance Plugin For WordPress
Additional Plugin Info
Templates Approved By Lawyers – The plugin developers state on their website that all legal page templates have already been reviewed and approved by a lawyer. Nonetheless, we strongly recommend that you get professional advice from a qualified legal expert in your area for your peace of mind.
For demo videos of the plugin in action, including help documentation and tutorials, FAQs, customer helpdesk, contact details and more, visit the Compliance Bar website.
Download The Plugin
Compliance Bar is an easy-to-use, simple and cost-effective solution for WordPress-driven websites and blogs. We recommend installing this WordPress plugin if you want immediate peace of mind and legal protection.
For full details, check out the plugin here: Compliance Bar – Compliance Bar – WordPress Plugin For Website Compliance
Legal Disclaimer: Once again, we are not lawyers and we are not offering legal advice in this article. Do your own due diligence and consult a legal expert about the best way of ensuring that your website is compliant with the law wherever your business is based.