Your internet presence has to comply with various laws and regulations, some of which you may probably not even be aware of.
Being non-compliant not only puts you at risk of suffering financial loss, but also the cost to your reputation. Why risk your money and your business reputation, when you can protect yourself so easily and inexpensively?
In this post, we review a simple and very inexpensive solution for WordPress users that can help make your site fully compliant in minutes.
Does Your Website Or Blog Comply With The Law?
As the internet continues growing at an extraordinary rate and the rules constantly change, it’s vital to stay informed about what’s going on and to make sure that your site remains legal, especially if your web presence is a significant component of your overall business strategy.
If you do not display certain legal pages on your web site (e.g. terms of service, privacy statement, financial disclaimers, etc.), many third-party sites such as Google won’t let you advertise, digital marketplaces like ClickBank won’t allow you to list your digital products on their network, PayPal could shut down your account and freeze your funds, Facebook and other social networks could suspend your apps, and you won’t be allowed into many leading advertising or merchant networks.
If your digital presence is not compliant, you could also face a multitude of penalties, including fines, having your website shut down, even jail time!
At the very least, if you are not in compliance, trust and confidence in your business may seriously diminish.
Legal Disclaimer: We are not lawyers and we offer no legal advice on this website.
The purpose of this post is to make you aware that:
- Your website could be subject to certain legal requirements in accordance with compulsory federal, state or local laws that govern your business (some of which you may not even be aware of),
- The importance of being compliant with the terms of service of third-party providers whose products or services you may be offering or using on your website, and
- There are solutions that can help your website become more compliant, such as the plugin that we discuss in this post.
If you suspect that your web site falls short in areas of compliance, we discuss below a simple WordPress plugin that you will probably be very interested in using.
Today We Review …
Compliance Bar Plugin – Website Compliance Plugin For WordPress
The Compliance Bar Plugin is a total compliance and disclaimer solution for your web presence …
Learn more about the plugin here: Compliance Bar
Here are just a few of the benefits of using Compliance Bar Plugin to make your website or blog instantly legally compliant:
Easy To Install
Compliance Bar is quite easy to install. Simply upload it to your Plugins folder via your WordPress dashboard and activate.
Legal Page Templates Are Really Easy To Edit
Easily edit the default legal templates inside the plugin from the settings menu with the WordPress visual content editor.
Dedicated 24/7 Plugin Support Team
Compliance Bar provides dedicated support to help users.
Some additional benefits of the plugin include:
- Customized Compliance Page Templates: The Compliance Bar plugin will create your legal pages in seconds and customizes them to your business and website.
- Video Training Manuals: Compliance Bar is not complicated to use and a complete library of training videos is available if you need help.
- Can Be Used Anywhere In The World: As long as you consult a qualified legal representative to make sure that the built-in legal templates provided in the plugin are suitable and satisfactory for your business, country and website, you can use the plugin anywhere in the world.
- Use On All WordPress Sites: As long as your website is powered by WordPress, you can use the plugin for every website purpose. Select only the types of disclaimers which pertain to your specific business model (e.g. affiliate or CPA marketing, business services, AdSense, AdWords, adult, medical, etc) and leave out any that you don’t need.
Compliance Bar provides many great features to WP users. Below we have listed just a few:
- Fast and simple to install and implement. Be up and running in minutes.
- Display Attractive Icons – Display links to your legal pages in the form of attractive icons that can be positioned anywhere on your pages. You can also upload icons of your choice.
- Display Restricted Content – If your site has content that needs to be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. content related to alcohol, tobacco, adult, etc.), the plugin can display pop-ups that force users to accept your terms or disclaimers.
- EU Cookie Compliance – If your business is based in the EU or display your content to visitors in the EU, you need to be aware of EU Cookie law. Compliance Bar displays an attractive bar that notifies users and protects your business from non-compliance.
- Records And Stores IP Addresses – The plugin can record and store the IP addresses of your visitors for reference, just in case someone accepts your terms or disclaimers and then claims otherwise.
- Shortcode Driven – Compliance Bar is integrated with shortcodes that automatically populate compliance pages with your personal information. These shortcodes also allow you to place information anywhere on your site, (even in the pop-ups).
- Mobile Friendly – Compliance Bar has individual settings for displaying on mobile devices and displays mobile optimized icons automatically depending on the browser being used.
Using Compliance Bar Plugin
After installing and activating the plugin, the plugin’s “Settings” section is added to your WP dashboard.
Let’s go through these settings briefly …
There are a number of default categories in this screen where you can input your business details into entered (e.g. “Contact Name,” “Registered Business Address,” “Contact Phone,” “Refund Duration (Days),” etc.). Not all categories are compulsory, but some are (e.g. “Business Name,” “Registered Business Address,” etc.)
(Compliance Bar Plugin User Profile Screen – Image source: plugin documentation)
Compliance Bar uses shortcodes to dynamically populate the information from your User Profile fields in your legal pages …
(Compliance Bar User Profile Page: Shortcodes – Image source: plugin documentation)
Once the minimum required data has been entered into the profile fields, users can then access the other plugin section.
The “Compliance Pages” section includes a list of all of the legal template pages …
(Compliance Bar: Legal Pages – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Here’s the full list of template pages made available by the plugin when we last checked their website:
- About Us
- AdSense Disclaimer
- Affiliate Agreements
- Affiliate Disclosure
- Amazon Affiliate Disclaimer
- Anti-Spam Policy
- Contact Us
- Copyright/DCMA Notice
- Double Dart Cookies
- Earnings Disclaimer
- External Links Policy
- FTC Statement
- Legal Disclaimer
- Linking Policy
- Medical Disclaimer
- Returns/Refund Policy
- Terms & Conditions
- Testimonial Disclosure
- XXX Disclosure
Creating compliance pages for your blog or website is a simple process. Just select the check boxes next to the pages you want to create and click ”Save” at the bottom of the “Compliance Pages” section …
(Compliance Bar: Compliance Pages – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Your legal pages will then be created and added inside the “Pages” section of your site.
Compliance Bar Icons
The plugin comes with a default set of icons for referencing your legal pages …
The Compliance Bar icons are customizable. You can purchase an additional set of icons from the plugin developer, or create/upload your own to match the style of your theme …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Compliance Template Icons – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
Edit / Delete Compliance Page Templates
You can easily modify and delete your legal disclaimers from the “Compliance Pages” screen, just like any other page in WordPress …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Edit Legal Templates – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
- Editing is recommended, as the pages contain generic content.
- The plugin notifies you if it detects existing similar pages on your site (e.g. pages created before you installed the plugin).
The plugin offers various options to customize the Compliance Bar, including where to position the bar, displaying links or icon images, background colors and images, image size, selecting which pages should be included in the Compliance Bar, whether or not to display the Compliance bar on your home page, which pages the Compliance Bar will display in, mobile settings, etc. …
(Compliance Bar Section: Create Bar – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
- You can create several Compliance Bars to display different icons on different pages, or to cover various uses in different areas of your website.
- The plugin lets you display the Compliance Bar on the main page of your website, even if you are using particular theme frameworks (like Genesis, Thesis or WooThemes), where the home page is specifically configured through the theme settings as a built-in template, and not as a normal “static” WordPress page.
- Due to the smaller size of mobile device screens, there is a limit to the number of page icons you can display if you turn Mobile Settings “on.”
Once you have specified your Compliance Bar settings, it will display links to your legal through a visually appealing icon bar on your site …
You have full control over the location on your pages where you would like the compliance bar to display …
If your site has content that may be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. information related to alcohol, ecigs, adult content, etc.), the plugin can display popups that restricts access to visitors who do not accept your terms or disclaimers.
The “Create Pop Up” page gives you complete control over the settings and wordings of your pop ups …
(Pop Ups Screen: Create Pop Up – Image source: plugin documentation)
You can create unlimited customized Pop Ups displaying on different pages, or to cover different uses in other sections of your site …
You can also set a delay time to prevent Pop Ups from displaying immediately, set a cookie duration to prevent Pop Ups from displaying again within a specific time period, and record the IP addresses of visitors who accept your terms and disclaimers for future reference …
(Pop Ups Section: IP Log Details – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
If your business is based in Europe or display your content to visitors in the EU, you must make users aware of your user cookies and notify them of how you use them …
Compliance Bar lets you customize the settings for compliance with EU Cookies requirements, including the wording of your notification message and link text in the “EU Cookies” section …
(EU Cookies Screen: Manage Settings – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Compliance Bar has a non-intrusive way of notifying your visitors and covering you from non-compliance.
The “Page Templates” screen, lists all of your legal disclaimer templates and shortcodes, and lets you edit the page content …
The “General Settings” screen, lets you access general information, such as promoting and sharing the plugin and receiving plugin updates …
Below are just some testimonials and feedback plugin customers have published about the Compliance Bar Plugin plugin:
”One of the most annoying parts about building out a site is to make sure it complies with the law. I always leave this part to the end because its painfully dry and boring and frankly I always just wished their was an easier way. Then I came across Compliance Bar and its literally the most versitile and brilliant plugin I have ever used. All my pages meet FTC requirements now and all I had to do was press a button! Anton and Jon..you guys friggen rock — 1000% highly recommend this!!” Anthony La Rocca – Founder (Hustle Marketing)
”I wanted to reach out & say Compliance Bar is a truly amazing product for keeping my online marketing efforts on the right side of the internet laws. Not only does it look fantastic on my sites, it is also intuitive and robustly powerful. It is packed full of features to allow me the flexibility to control exactly what my visitors need to see and know” Patrick Mauchant – PT Enviromate Technology
Compliance Bar Plugin Tips
Below are some useful ways to use Compliance Bar:
- Display compliance icons only on specific pages.
- Reducing refund disputes by clearly spelling out refund terms before purchase.
- If your website contains content that is deemed inappropriate for underaged viewers, you can force visitors to click to confirm that they are of legal age to view your content.
Compliance Bar provides users with a dedicated team to assist users with anything they need. Plugin users also have access to a complete library of training videos.
Additionally, your purchase is backed by a risk-free, thirty day, 200% refund guarantee. If your edition of Compliance Bar does not work within 30 days of purchase and it cannot be fixed within 48 hrs (Monday to Friday), the plugin developers will refund twice the amount of your purchase price.
- Single License Edition – Install the plugin on a single domain. Cost = $37 (Normally $127)
- Business License Edition – Can be installed on up to 25 of your own domains. Price = $67.00 (Normally $197).
- Developer Edition – Can be installed on all of your own domains. Can be installed on any client site for payment or part of a paid service. Cost = $97.00.
Please Note: Price details for Compliance Bar can vary, depending on whether there are any promotions or limited-time specials being offered. Currently, the product retails for the prices shown above. This may or may not be the actual price set by the plugin developer when you visit the site and there may be additional upsells or one-time offers after your purchase.
Check the plugin’s website for current pricing details: Compliance Bar Plugin – WordPress Website Compliance Plugin
Legal Pages Reviewed By Lawyers – The plugin developers state on their website that all legal templates have already been reviewed and approved by a leading lawyer. Nonetheless, we strongly recommend that you get advice from a qualified legal expert in your area to ensure that your site is fully compliant.
For a demo video showing plugin usage, including help documentation and tutorials, FAQs, customer helpdesk, contact details and more, visit the Compliance Bar Plugin website.
Get This Plugin
Compliance Bar is an easy-to-use, simple and cost-effective solution for WordPress-driven websites. We recommend downloading and installing this WordPress plugin if you want immediate peace of mind and legal protection.
For more details, check out the plugin here: Compliance Bar Plugin – Compliance Bar Plugin – WordPress Plugin For Website Compliance
Disclaimer: Once again, we are not lawyers and we are not offering legal advice in this article. Do your own due diligence and consult a legal expert about the best way of ensuring that your website is compliant with the law in your country or region.