Your website or blog must comply with a whole range of federal, state and even local laws and regulatory guidelines, some of which you are probably not even aware of.
Being non-compliant not only puts you at risk of suffering significant financial losses, but also the loss of your reputation. Why risk your money and reputation, when you can protect yourself so inexpensively?
In this article, we review a simple and easy-to-install WordPress solution that can help make your site legally compliant in minutes.
Does Your Site Comply With All Legal Requirements?
As the digital realm continues growing at breakneck speed and the rules constantly change, it’s vital that you stay on top of what’s going on and to make sure that your website remains legally compliant, especially if your online presence is a significant component of your overall business strategy.
If your business online is not compliant, you could face a number of penalties, including fines, having your website shut down, even jail time!
At the very least, if your website is not compliant, visitors may lose trust and confidence in your business.
Legal Disclaimer: We are not lawyers and we are not offering legal advice on this website.
The purpose of this post is to make you aware that:
- Your website may be subject to a number of legal requirements in accordance with compulsory laws that govern your business (some of which you may not even be aware of),
- How important it is to maintain compliance with the terms of service of third-party providers whose products or services you are offering or using on your website, and
- There are plugins for WordPress site owners that can help your site become more compliant, such as the plugin that we discuss in this post.
In this article, we review a simple plugin for WordPress-driven websites and blogs that provides a complete compliance & disclaimer solution for your site.
Today We Review …
Compliance Bar Plugin – Compliance Plugin For WordPress
Compliance Bar is a simple and easy-to-use plugin for WordPress websites that includes over 20 customizable legal templates for your website …
To learn more about the plugin go here: Compliance Bar
Compliance Bar Plugin Benefits
Below we have listed just some of the benefits of using Compliance Bar to instantly make your site legally compliant:
Be Up And Running In No Time
Compliance Bar installs like every other plugin. Simply upload a zip file containing the plugin files to your Plugin folder via your WordPress administrator section and activate.
Easy-To-Edit Page Templates
You can easily modify the built-in templates inside Compliance Bar from the settings menu with the WordPress visual editor.
24/7 Plugin Support
Compliance Bar plugin provides a dedicated team to assist you.
Additional benefits of this plugin include the following:
- Customized Legal Page Templates: The plugin will create your legal pages in seconds and customizes them to your business and website.
- Complete Video Training Library: Compliance Bar is not difficult to use - a full library of training videos is available.
- Use In All Countries: As long as you consult a qualified legal representative to ascertain if the legal templates provided in Compliance Bar are suitable and satisfactory for your business, country and website, you can use the plugin wherever you are located.
- Can Be Used For All Website Purposes: If your website or blog is driven by WordPress, you can use the plugin for all kinds of websites. Select only the types of disclaimers which suit your particular business model (e.g. affiliate or CPA marketing, business services, AdSense, AdWords, adult, medical, etc) and leave out any pages that are unnecessary.
Compliance Bar Features
Compliance Bar provides a number of great features to website owners. Below we have listed just a few of these:
- Fast and easy to install and set up. Be up and running in no time.
- Show Visually Appealing Icon Bar – Display links to your legal pages in the form of attractive icons that can be positioned anywhere on your pages. You can also upload your own icons.
- Display Sensitive Content – If your site contains content that should be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. information related to alcohol, ecigs, adult-related, etc.), the plugin can display pop-ups that require users to accept your website’s terms and disclaimers.
- EU Cookie Compliance – If your business is based in Europe or display your content to EU visitors, you need to be aware of EU Cookie law. The plugin displays an attractive bar notifying visitors and covering you from non-compliance issues.
- Record & Store IP Acceptance – The plugin can record and store the IP address of your visitors for future reference, just in case someone accepts your terms or disclaimers and then claims they didn’t.
- Shortcode Driven – The plugin is integrated with shortcodes to populate templates with your personal information. These shortcodes also allow you to place information anywhere on your site or blog, (including the popups).
- Compatible With Mobile Devices – The plugin has settings for displaying on mobile devices and displays mobile optimized icons automatically based on visitor browsers.
Using The Plugin
After installing and activating the Compliance Bar plugin, users will get access to a number of settings.
Let’s briefly review these sections …
There are a number of default categories in this screen where you can enter your business details into entered (e.g. “Website URL,” “Registered Business Address,” “Company Phone Number,” “Product Name,” etc.). Not all categories are required, but some are (e.g. “Website URL,” “Support Desk URL,” etc.)
(Compliance Bar User Profile Screen – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
The plugin uses dynamic shortcodes to insert and display the information in your legal pages …
(Compliance Bar Plugin User Profile Screen: Shortcodes – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
Once the minimum required information has been input into the user profile fields, users can then access the other sections of the plugin.
The “Compliance Pages” area lists all of the templates …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Legal Templates – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
Last time we checked the plugin website, there were over 22 compliance templates available:
- About Us
- AdSense Disclaimer
- Affiliate Agreements
- Affiliate Disclosure Statement
- Amazon Affiliate Disclaimer
- Anti-Spam Policy
- Contact Us
- Copyright/DCMA Notice
- Double Dart Cookies
- Earnings Disclaimer
- External Links Policy
- FTC Statement
- Legal Disclaimer
- Linking Policy
- Medical Disclaimer
- Returns/Refund Policy
- Terms & Conditions
- Testimonial Disclosure
- XXX Disclosure
Creating compliance pages for your blog or website can be easily done. Just select the check boxes next to the pages you want to create and click the “Save” button in the “Create Pages” section …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Compliance Templates – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
Your legal pages will then be created and added under the “Pages” section of your WordPress site.
Compliance Bar Icons
The plugin comes with a built-in set of attractive icons for referencing your legal pages …
Icons can be changed. You can purchase additional icons from the plugin developer, or create/upload your own to match the style of your theme …
(Compliance Bar: Compliance Page Template Icons – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Edit / Delete Compliance Page Templates
You can easily customize and delete your compliance templates from the “Compliance Pages” tab, just like any typical WordPress page …
(Compliance Bar: Edit Compliance Page Templates – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
- Customizing the legal templates is recommended, as the pages contain generic content.
- The plugin notifies you if it detects existing similar pages on your site (e.g. pages created before installing the plugin).
The plugin settings area provides many options to customize the Compliance Bar, including where to position the bar, displaying links or icon images, background colors and images, icon size, specifying which pages should be included in the Compliance Bar, whether or not to display the Compliance bar on your home page, which pages the Compliance Bar will display in, mobile settings, and offset distance …
(Compliance Bar Screen: Create Bar – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
- You can create more than one Compliance Bar to show different icons on different pages, or to cover different uses in other sections of your website.
- The plugin allows you to display a Compliance Bar on the front page of your website, even if you are using a specific theme framework (like Genesis, Thesis or Woo), where the home page is configured through the theme settings as a built-in template, and not as a “regular” WordPress page.
- Due to the smaller size of mobile devices, you can only select up to a certain number of page icons to display if you turn Mobile Settings “on.”
Once you have configured your Compliance Bar settings, it will display links to your legal through a visually appealing icon bar on your site …
You have complete control over the location on your pages where you would like to feature the compliance icons …
If your website has content that may be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. information related to alcohol, ecigs, adult-related, etc.), the plugin can display pop-ups that blocks access to users who do not accept your site’s terms and disclaimers.
The “Create Pop Up” area gives you complete control over the settings and wordings of your pop ups …
(Pop Ups Section: Create Pop Up – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
You can create more than one Pop Up for different pages, or to cover different uses throughout your site …
You can also set a delay time if you don’t want the Pop Ups to display as soon as visitors arrive, set a cookie duration to prevent Pop Ups from appearing again within a specific time interval, and capture the IP addresses of visitors who accept your terms and disclaimers for future reference …
(Pop Ups Screen: IP Log Details – Image source: plugin documentation)
If you do business in Europe or display your content to visitors in the EU, you must make users aware of your user cookies and notify them of how you use them …
Compliance Bar lets you customize the settings for compliance with EU Cookies requirements, including the wording of your notification message and link text in the “EU Cookies” area …
(EU Cookies Screen: Manage Settings – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
Compliance Bar has a non-intrusive way of notifying your visitors and covering you from non-compliance.
The “Page Templates” tab, lists all of your compliance templates and shortcodes, and lets you edit the page content …
The “General Settings” tab, gives you access to general information, such as promoting and sharing the plugin and getting plugin update notifications …
Feedback From Users
Below are a couple of the testimonials that plugin users have published about Compliance Bar:
”WOW” Shon Chris – Director (JV Peer Group)
“Don’t Risk Your Online Business” Mike Thomas (The Mike From Maine Show)
Compliance Bar Plugin – Useful Tips
Below are a few extra ways to use The Compliance Bar Plugin:
- Display compliance icons on specific pages of your website only.
- End refund disputes by clearly spelling out the refund terms before purchase.
- If you include content that is considered inappropriate for underaged viewers on your site, you can force visitors to click to confirm that they are of legal age to access your content.
Compliance Bar Product Support
Compliance Bar provides users with dedicated plugin support to help you with anything you need. Plugin users also get access to full video training.
Additionally, your purchase is backed by a risk-free, 30 day, 200% refund guarantee. If your version of Compliance Bar does not work within 30 days of purchase and it cannot be fixed within 48 hrs (M – F), the plugin developers will refund double your purchasing price.
- Single Edition – Install the plugin on one site that you own. Price = $47 (Normally $127)
- Business License – Can be installed on up to twenty-five domains that you own. Cost = $67.00 (Normally $197).
- Professional – Install the plugin on all as many of your own sites as you like. Can be installed on any client site for payment or as part of a paid service. Price = $97.00.
Please Note: The cost of purchasing the Compliance Bar software can vary, depending on whether there are any promotions or limited-time special offers. Presently, the software retails for the amounts shown above. This may or may not be the actual pricing set by the software seller when you visit the product website and you may be shown additional upsells or one-time offers after your purchase.
Check the plugin’s website for current pricing details: Compliance Bar Plugin
Compliance Bar Plugin – Additional Information
Templates Reviewed By Lawyers – The plugin developers claim on their website that all legal page templates have been reviewed and approved by a lawyer. Nonetheless, we strongly recommend that you get advice from a qualified legal expert in your area to ensure that your site is fully compliant.
For ”how to” videos showing plugin usage, including help documentation and tutorials, FAQs, customer helpdesk, contact details and more, visit the Compliance Bar website.
Install The Plugin
Compliance Bar is an easy-to-use, simple and cost-effective solution for WordPress sites. We recommend downloading and installing this plugin for WordPress users if you want immediate peace of mind and legal protection.
For more details, visit the plugin website: Compliance Bar Plugin – Compliance Bar – Website Compliance Plugin For WordPress
Important: Once again, please note that we are not lawyers and we are not offering legal advice in this article. Do your own due diligence and consult a legal expert about the best way of ensuring that your website fully complies with all legal requirements wherever your business is based.