Your digital presence has to comply with various federal, state and even local laws, some of which you may probably not even be aware of.
Being non-compliant not only puts you at risk of suffering significant financial costs, but also the cost to your reputation. Why risk your money and your business reputation, when you can protect yourself so inexpensively?
In this article, we review a simple and inexpensive WordPress solution that can help make your website compliant just minutes.
Does Your Website Comply With The Law?
As the cybersphere continues growing at an extraordinary rate and rules constantly change, it’s vital to stay on top of what’s going on and to make sure that your website or blog remains compliant with all laws and regulations, especially if your online presence is a significant aspect of your overall business strategy.
If there are no legal pages on your website (e.g. terms and conditions of use, privacy statement, earning disclaimers, etc.), many third-party sites such as Google won’t let you advertise, digital marketplaces like ClickBank will not let you list your digital products for sale, PayPal may shut down your account and withhold payment of your funds, Facebook and other social networks will suspend your web apps, and you won’t be accepted into many leading advertising or affiliate marketing networks.
You may also be inadvertently leaving yourself open and vulnerable to being exploited by opportunistic online users.
At the very least, if your digital presence is not in compliance, expect visitor trust and confidence in your business to be irrepairably diminished.
Disclaimer: We are not lawyers and we are not offering legal advice on this website.
The purpose of this post is to make you aware that:
- Your website may be subject to certain legal requirements in accordance with the laws and regulations that govern your business (some of which you may probably not even be aware of),
- How important it is to maintain compliance with the terms of service of third-party providers whose products or services you may be promoting or endorsing on your website, and
- There are easy-to-use solutions that can help your business become compliant, such as the plugin that we discuss below.
If you suspect that your website or blog is falling short in aspects of compliance, here is a simple plugin for WordPress-powered websites you may be interested in using.
Today’s WordPress Plugin Is …
Compliance Bar Plugin – WordPress Compliance Plugin
Compliance Bar is a complete compliance and disclaimer solution for your online presence …
Go here to learn more about this plugin: Compliance Bar
Benefits Of Using Compliance Bar
Here we have listed just a few of the benefits and advantages of using Compliance Bar Plugin to make your web site instantly legally compliant:
Ready To Use In Minutes
Compliance Bar Plugin installs like every plugin. Simply upload the plugin file to your Plugins folder via your admin user login and activate.
Legal Page Templates Are Very Easy To Edit
You can easily edit the default templates inside Compliance Bar from the settings menu with the WordPress visual content editor.
24/7 Plugin Support
Compliance Bar provides a dedicated support team to assist users if they experience any issues.
Additional plugin benefits include:
- Customized Legal Templates: Compliance Bar will create your legal pages in seconds and customizes them to your business and website.
- Video Training Manuals: Compliance Bar is not complicated to use and an entire library of training videos is available.
- Can Be Used Anywhere In The World: As long as you consult a qualified legal representative to ascertain if the default legal page templates provided with Compliance Bar are suitable and satisfactory for your business, country and website, you can use the plugin anywhere in the world.
- Use For All Website Purposes: If your website or blog runs on WordPress, you can use the plugin for all kinds of websites. Just select the templates you need to include in your site and ignore any unnecessary pages.
Compliance Bar Plugin provides many great features to web site owners. Here are just a few of these:
- Quick and simple to install and configure. Be up and running in minutes.
- Display Visually Appealing Icon Bar – Display links to your compliance pages in the form of attractive icons that can be positioned on different locations in your pages. You can also upload icons of your choice.
- Show Restricted Content – If your website includes content that may be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. content related to alcohol, ecigs, adult content, etc.), Compliance Bar can display popups that require users to accept your terms or disclaimers.
- EU Cookie Compliance – If you do business in Europe or display your content to EU visitors, you need to be aware of EU compliance laws. Compliance Bar displays an attractive bar that notifies your users and protects you from non-compliance.
- Record & Store IP Addresses – Compliance Bar records and stores the IP addresses of your visitors for future reference, just in case a visitor accepts your terms or disclaimers and then claims they haven’t.
- Shortcodes – The plugin uses shortcodes that populate the templates with your personal information. These shortcodes also allow you to place information anywhere on your website, (even in the popups).
- Works On All Mobile Devices – The plugin has individual settings for displaying on mobile devices or tablets and displays mobile optimized icons automatically depending on the browser being used.
Features – Details
Once the plugin is installed, users will have access to various settings.
Let’s briefly review these …
There are a number of default categories in this screen where you can enter your information into input (e.g. “Website URL,” “Support Desk URL,” “Contact Phone,” “Niche Market,” etc.). Not all categories are compulsory, but some are (e.g. “Website URL,” “Company Phone Number,” etc.)
(Compliance Bar Plugin User Profile Page – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
The plugin uses dynamic shortcodes to automatically populate the information from your User Profile inside your legal page templates …
(Compliance Bar Plugin User Profile Section: Shortcodes – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Once the minimum required (i.e. compulsory) information has been entered into the plugin settings fields, you can then access the other plugin areas.
The “Compliance Pages” screen contains all of your templates …
(Compliance Bar: Legal Templates – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
Below is the full list of templates made available by the plugin last time we checked their website:
- About Us
- AdSense Disclaimer
- Affiliate Agreements
- Affiliate Disclosure Statement
- Amazon Affiliate Disclaimer
- Anti-Spam Policy
- Contact Us
- Copyright/DCMA Notice
- Double Dart Cookies
- Earnings Disclaimer
- External Links Policy
- FTC Statement
- Legal Disclaimer
- Linking Policy
- Medical Disclaimer
- Returns/Refund Policy
- Terms & Conditions
- Testimonial Disclosure
- Adult Content Disclosure
You can create compliance pages for your blog or website quite easily simply by selecting check boxes and clicking the “Save” button on the “Create Pages” tab …
(Compliance Bar: Compliance Pages – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
Your legal pages will then be created and added to the “Pages” section of your site.
Compliance Bar Icons
The plugin comes with a built-in set of icons for referencing your legal pages …
The Compliance Bar icons are customizable. You can purchase an additional set of icons from the plugin developer, or create/upload your own to match the style of your site’s design …
(Compliance Bar: Legal Template Icons – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
Edit / Delete Compliance Pages
You can easily customize and delete the legal templates from the “Compliance Pages” screen, just like any typical page in WordPress …
(Compliance Bar: Edit Compliance Page Templates – Image source: plugin documentation)
- Customizing is recommended, as the pages contain generic content.
- The plugin indicates if it detects existing similar pages on your site (e.g. pages created before installing the plugin).
The plugin offers many options to customize the Compliance Bar, including position, whether to show links or icon images, background colors and images, image size, selecting which pages to include an icon for in the Compliance Bar, whether or not to display the Compliance bar on your front page, which pages the Compliance Bar will display in, mobile settings, and more …
(Compliance Bar Section: Create Bar – Image source: plugin documentation)
- You can create a number of Compliance Bars to display different icons on different pages, or to cover a range of uses in different areas of your website.
- The plugin lets you display a Compliance Bar on the front page of your website, even if you are using particular premium themes (like Genesis, Thesis or Woo), where the home page is configured through the theme settings as a built-in template, and not as a normal “static” WordPress page.
- Due to the smaller size of mobile devices, you can only select up to a certain number of page icons to display if you turn Mobile Settings “on.”
Once you have specified your Compliance Bar settings, it displays links to your compliance pages through dynamic icon bar on your site …
You have complete control over the location on your pages where you would like to feature your compliance icons …
If you plan to show content that may be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. information related to alcohol, ecigs, dating, etc.), the plugin can display pop-ups that restricts access to users who do not accept your terms and disclaimers.
The “Create Pop Up” tab gives you complete control over the settings and customization of your pop ups …
(Pop Ups Section: Create Pop Up – Image source: plugin documentation)
You can create several customized Pop Ups for different pages, or to cover a range of uses throughout your website …
You can also set a delay time to prevent a Pop Up from displaying as soon as visitors arrive, set a cookie duration to prevent Pop Ups from displaying again within a specific time interval, and capture the IP addresses of visitors who accept your terms and disclaimers for future reference …
(Pop Ups Section: IP Log Details – Image source: plugin documentation)
If you are based in the EU or display your content to EU visitors, you need to make users aware of your user cookies and notify them of how you use them …
The Compliance Bar plugin lets you manage the settings for compliance with EU Cookies requirements, including the wording of your notification message and link text in the “EU Cookies” screen …
(EU Cookies Screen: Manage Settings – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Compliance Bar has a non-intrusive way of notifying your visitors and covering you from non-compliance.
The “Page Templates” area, lists all of your compliance pages and shortcodes, and lets you modify their content …
The “General Settings” screen, lets you access general information, such as promoting and sharing the plugin and receiving plugin update notifications …
Feedback From Users
Below are just a few of the testimonials and feedback users have submitted for the Compliance Bar Plugin plugin:
”One of the Best Plugins I Have Used” Ray Lane – (The Video Guy)
”If you are like me, you maybe have quite a few WordPress sites, all needing attention and most importantly, all needing to be on the right side of the law! I’ve tried several legal pages plugins and in pretty much every case, they let me down. They simply cause more work than they solve.To me, the answer should be simple. It should work and it should let me get on with building my site. After all, I know I NEED to do this stuff, but hey, I don’t really WANT to! So, for me, I don’t want those plugins that cause more work than they solve. Simple eh? Well now it is because Anton & John have just created this baby that is the answer to my needs. The Compliance Bar Plugin does what I need it to do then lets me get on with my empire building…Perfect!” Tony Grant (Portfolio Sports)
Here are some useful ways you can use The Compliance Bar Plugin:
- Displaying compliance icons on specific pages of your site only.
- Ending refund disputes by clearly spelling out the refund terms before purchase.
- If you have content for adults only on your website, you can force visitors to click to confirm that they are of legal age to access your content.
Compliance Bar provides users with a dedicated plugin support team to help users. You also have access to complete video training manuals.
Additionally, your purchase is backed by a risk-free, 30 day, 200% money-back guarantee. If your version of Compliance Bar does not work within 30 days of purchase and it cannot be fixed within 48 business hours (Monday to Friday), the plugin developers will refund double the cost of purchasing.
- Single User Personal License – Can be installed on one site that you own. Cost = $47 (Normally $127)
- Business – Install the plugin on 25 sites that you own. Cost = $67.00 (Normally $197).
- Developer License – Can be installed on all sites that you own. Install the plugin on any client site as part of a paid service. Cost = $97.00.
Please Note: Pricing for Compliance Bar Plugin can vary, depending on whether there are any promotions or limited-time special offers. The pricing shown above was correct at the time this content was written. This may not be the actual price charged by the software developer when you visit the website and there may be additional upsells or one-time offers after you’ve purchased.
Check the plugin’s website for the latest pricing: Compliance Bar – WP Compliance Plugin
Compliance Bar Plugin – Additional Info
Legal Page Templates Approved By Lawyers – The plugin developers assure users on their website that all legal templates have already been reviewed and approved by lawyers. Nonetheless, we highly recommend that you get advice from a qualified legal expert in your area to ensure that your site is fully compliant.
For a demo video of the plugin, including installation instructions and tutorials, FAQs, support helpdesk, contact details and more, visit the Compliance Bar website.
Compliance Bar is an easy-to-use, simple and cost-effective solution for WordPress-powered websites and blogs. We recommend installing this plugin for WordPress users if you want immediate peace of mind and legal protection.
For more details, check out the plugin here: Compliance Bar Plugin – Compliance Bar – Website Compliance Plugin For WordPress
Note: Once again, please note that we are not lawyers and we offer no legal advice here. Do your own due diligence and consult a legal expert about the best way of ensuring that your website is compliant with the law in your country or region.