Your website has to comply with many federal, state and even local laws and regulations, some of which you may probably not even be aware of.
Being non-compliant puts you at risk of suffering both financial losses and the cost to your reputation. Why risk your money and your business reputation, when you can protect yourself so inexpensively?
In this post, we look at a simple and very inexpensive WordPress solution that can help make your site compliant in minutes.
Does Your Site Comply With The Law?
As the internet continues to grow at an extraordinary rate and rules constantly change, it’s vitally important that you stay informed about what’s happening and to make sure that your site remains compliant with all laws and regulations, especially if your online presence is a fundamental part of your business strategy.
You could also be inadvertently leaving yourself open and vulnerable to legal action.
At the very least, if your business online is not compliant, it could impact on your visitors trust and confidence in doing business with you in the future.
Disclaimer: We are not lawyers and we are not offering legal advice on our website.
The purpose of this post is to make you aware that:
- Your website could be subject to certain legal requirements in accordance with the laws and regulations that govern your business (some of which you may probably not even be aware of),
- The importance of being compliant with the terms of service of third-party providers whose products or services you may be offering or using online, and
- There are easy-to-install solutions that can help your business become compliant, such as the solution that we discuss in this post.
If your web site lacks in areas of compliance, we discuss below a simple plugin for WordPress-driven sites that you may be interested in knowing more about.
Compliance Bar Plugin – Website Compliance Plugin For WordPress
Compliance Bar Plugin is a complete compliance & disclaimer solution for your site …
More info: Compliance Bar
Benefits Of Using Compliance Bar
Here are just a few of the benefits of using Compliance Bar Plugin to make your web site instantly legally compliant:
Ready To Use In Minutes
Compliance Bar is really easy to install. Just upload the plugin file to your Plugin folder via your WP admin area and activate.
Easily Editable Compliance Page Templates
You can easily modify the built-in legal page templates inside the plugin from the settings menu with the WordPress visual content editor.
Dedicated 24/7 Plugin Support
Compliance Bar plugin provides dedicated 24/7 plugin support to help you.
Additional benefits include the following:
- Customized Compliance Templates: The Compliance Bar plugin creates your legal pages in seconds and customizes them to your business and website.
- Video Training Manuals: Compliance Bar is not complicated to use - an entire library of training videos is available.
- Can Be Used In Every Country: As long as you consult a qualified legal representative to ascertain if the default templates provided with Compliance Bar are suitable and satisfactory for your business, country and website, you can use the plugin anywhere in the world.
- Can Be Used On All WordPress Sites: If your website is built with WordPress, you can use the plugin for all kinds of websites. Select only the types of disclaimers that pertain to your specific business model (e.g. affiliate or CPA marketing, business services, AdSense, AdWords, adult, medical, etc) and ignore any templates that are not necessary.
Compliance Bar Plugin offers many great features to web site owners. Here are just some:
- Fast and simple to install and configure. Be up and running in minutes.
- Show Attractive Icon Bar – The plugin displays links to your compliance pages in the form of attractive icons that can be positioned on different locations on your page. You can also upload icons of your choice.
- Display Restricted Content – If you plan to publish content that may be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. information related to alcohol, ecigs, adult content, etc.), you can display popups that require users to accept your terms or disclaimers.
- EU Cookie Compliance – If you do business in Europe or display your content to visitors in the EU, you must be aware of EU compliance laws. Compliance Bar displays an attractive bar notifying visitors and covering your business from non-compliance.
- Record & Store IP Addresses – The plugin can record your visitors’ IP address for reference, just in case a user accepts your terms or disclaimers and then claims otherwise.
- Shortcodes – The plugin uses shortcodes to automatically populate legal pages with your personal information. These shortcodes also allow you to place information anywhere on your site, (including the popups).
- Works On All Mobile Devices – Compliance Bar has individual settings for displaying on mobile devices and displays mobile optimized icons automatically depending on the web browser being used.
Features – Details
After installing and activating the plugin, you will get access to various settings.
Let’s go through these settings briefly …
There are a number of default fields in this section where your business details can be entered (e.g. “Business Name,” “Company Address,” “Company Phone Number,” “Niche Area,” etc.). Not all categories are required, but some are (e.g. “Website URL,” “Support Email,” etc.)
(Compliance Bar User Profile Page – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Compliance Bar uses shortcodes to populate and display the information from your User Profile into your legal pages …
(Compliance Bar Plugin User Profile Page: Shortcodes – Image source: plugin documentation)
Once the minimum required (i.e. compulsory) information has been entered into the plugin settings fields, you can then access the other areas of the plugin.
The “Compliance Pages” area includes a list of all of the plugin’s legal pages …
(Compliance Bar: Compliance Pages – Image source: plugin documentation)
Here’s the complete list of legal templates made available by the plugin last time we checked their website:
- About Us
- AdSense Disclaimer
- Affiliate Agreements
- Affiliate Disclosure
- Amazon Affiliate Disclaimer
- Anti-Spam Policy
- Contact Us
- Copyright/DCMA Notice
- Double Dart Cookies
- Earnings Disclaimer
- External Links Policy
- FTC Statement
- Legal Disclaimer
- Linking Policy
- Medical Disclaimer
- Returns/Refund Policy
- Terms & Conditions
- Testimonial Disclosure
- Adult Content Disclosure
You can easily create legal pages for your site by simply selecting check boxes and clicking ”Save” at the bottom of the “Compliance Pages” area …
(Compliance Bar: Legal Page Templates – Image source: plugin documentation)
Your legal pages will then be created and added under your “Pages” section.
Compliance Bar Icons
The plugin is installed with a built-in set of attractive icons for referencing your legal pages …
Icons are customizable. You can purchase additional icons from the plugin developer, or create/upload your own to match the style of your site’s design …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Legal Page Template Icons – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Edit / Delete Compliance Templates
You can customize and delete the compliance disclaimers from the “Compliance Pages” area, just like any typical page in WordPress …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Edit Legal Templates – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
- Customizing your legal pages is recommended, as the pages contain generic content.
- The plugin will notify you if it detects existing similar pages on your site (e.g. compliance pages created before installing the plugin).
You have many options to customize the Compliance Bar, including where to position the bar, whether to show links or icon images, background colors and images, icon size, selecting which pages should be included in the Compliance Bar, whether or not to display the Compliance bar on your front page, which pages the Compliance Bar will display in, mobile settings, and more …
(Compliance Bar Section: Create Bar – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
- You can create more than one Compliance Bar to display different disclaimers on different pages, or to cover different uses throughout your website.
- The plugin allows you to display the Compliance Bar on the main page of your website, even if you are using a specific 3rd-party theme framework (e.g. Genesis, Thesis or Woo), where the home page is configured through the theme itself as a built-in template, and not as a “regular” WordPress page.
- Due to the smaller size of mobile device screens, there is a limit to the number of page icons you can display if you turn Mobile Settings “on.”
Once you have specified your Compliance Bar settings, it displays links to your compliance pages through dynamic icon bar on your site …
You have complete control over the location on your pages where you would like to display your compliance bar …
If you plan to show content that may be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. content related to alcohol, tobacco, adult, etc.), Compliance Bar can display popups that blocks access to visitors who do not accept your website’s terms and disclaimers.
The “Create Pop Up” tab lets you fully customize your pop ups …
(Pop Ups Screen: Create Pop Up – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
You can create multiple customized Pop Ups displaying on different pages, or to cover a multitude of uses throughout your website …
You can also set a delay time to prevent Pop Ups from displaying as soon as visitors arrive, set cookie durations to prevent Pop Ups from displaying again within a specific time interval, and even record the IP addresses of visitors who accept your terms and disclaimers for future reference …
(Pop Ups Section: IP Log Details – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
If your business is based in Europe or display your content to EU visitors, you need to make users aware of your user cookies and notify them of how you use them …
Compliance Bar lets you edit the settings for compliance with EU User Cookies requirements, including the wording of your notification message and link text in the “EU Cookies” area …
(EU Cookies Section: Manage Settings – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Compliance Bar has a non-intrusive way of notifying your visitors and covering you from non-compliance.
The “Page Templates” screen, lists all of your compliance pages and shortcodes, and lets you modify their content …
The “General Settings” menu, gives you access to general information, such as promoting and sharing the plugin and receiving plugin updates …
Feedback From Users
Below are a few of the testimonials that plugin customers have submitted regarding the Compliance Bar plugin:
”WOW” Shon Chris – Director (JV Peer Group)
”I wanted to reach out & say Compliance Bar is a truly amazing product for keeping my online marketing efforts on the right side of the internet laws. Not only does it look fantastic on my sites, it is also intuitive and robustly powerful. It is packed full of features to allow me the flexibility to control exactly what my visitors need to see and know” Patrick Mauchant – PT Enviromate Technology
Here are a few extra ways to use Compliance Bar:
- Display compliance icons only on specific pages of your site.
- Reduce refund disputes by clearly spelling out the refund terms before customers purchase.
- If you have content for adult viewers on your website, you can force visitors to click to confirm that they are of legal age to access your content.
Compliance Bar provides users with a dedicated team to help users with anything they need. Users also have access to a complete set of training videos.
Additionally, your purchase is backed by a no-risk, thirty day, 200% money-back guarantee. If your edition of Compliance Bar does not work within 30 days of purchase and it cannot be fixed within 48 business hours (M – F), your purchase price will be refunded in double.
- Single – Install the plugin on one domain that you own. Cost = $47 (Normally $127)
- Business – Install the plugin on 25 domains that you own. Price = $67.00 (Normally $197).
- Professional License – Can be installed on all as many of your own domains as you like. Can be installed on all client sites for payment or part of a paid service. Cost = $97.00.
Please Note: Pricing for Compliance Bar can vary, depending on whether there are any promotions or limited-time special offers. Presently, the product is selling for the pricing shown above. This may not be the actual pricing set by the software developer when you visit the website and you may be shown additional upsells or one-time offers after your purchase.
Check the plugin’s website for the current price here: Compliance Bar
Legal Templates Approved By Lawyers – The plugin developers assure users on their website that all legal templates have already been reviewed and approved by a leading lawyer. Nonetheless, we highly recommend that you get legal advice from a qualified legal expert in your area for your peace of mind.
For a demo video of the plugin, including help documentation and tutorials, FAQs, customer helpdesk, contact details and more, visit the Compliance Bar website.
Compliance Bar is an easy-to-use, simple and cost-effective solution for WordPress-driven websites. We recommend installing this plugin for WordPress users if you want immediate peace of mind and legal protection.
For more information, check out the plugin here: Compliance Bar Plugin – Compliance Bar Plugin – WordPress Plugin For Website Compliance
Note: Once again, please note that we are not lawyers and we offer no legal advice here. You must do your own due diligence and consult a legal expert about the best way to ensure that your website fully complies with the law wherever your business is based.