If your website doesn’t comply with laws intended to protect consumers, you’re breaking the law.
Being non-compliant puts you at risk of suffering significant financial losses and the loss of your reputation. Why risk your money and reputation, when you can protect yourself so easily and inexpensively?
In this post, we review a simple and inexpensive WordPress solution that can help make your website fully compliant in minutes.
Is Your Site Legally Compliant?
As the digital business realm continues growing at an extraordinary rate and the rules keep changing, it’s important that you stay informed about what’s happening and to make sure that your site remains compliant with all laws and regulations, especially if your digital presence is an integral aspect of your overall business strategy.
If there are no legal pages on your web site (e.g. terms and conditions of use, privacy statement, financial disclaimers, etc.), many sites such as Google won’t let you advertise, sites like ClickBank will not let you list your digital products on their network, PayPal could shut down your account and withhold payment of your funds, Facebook and many other social sites could suspend your apps, and you will not be allowed into various other advertising and affiliate marketing networks.
Plus, you could also be inadvertently leaving yourself open and vulnerable to being slapped with a lawsuit.
At the very least, if you don’t make it clear to your visitors that your website complies with legal requirements and regulatory guidelines, trust and confidence in your business could be irrepairably.
(In addition to legal and regulatory compliance, almost all third-party services require you to comply with their policies!)
Disclaimer: We are not lawyers and we are not offering legal advice on this website.
The purpose of this article is to make you aware that:
- Your website may be subject to many legal requirements in accordance with compulsory laws and regulations that govern your business,
- How important it is to be compliant with the terms of service of third-party providers whose products or services you may be promoting or using online, and
- There are solutions for WordPress users that can help your site become compliant, such as the plugin that we discuss below.
If your website falls short in areas of compliance, we discuss below a simple plugin for WordPress users that you may be very interested in knowing more about.
Compliance Bar Plugin – Website Compliance Plugin For WordPress
Compliance Bar is a total compliance and disclaimer solution for your online business …
Go here to learn more: Compliance Bar Plugin
Here are just some of the benefits of using Compliance Bar Plugin to make your website or blog instantly compliant:
Fast And Simple To Install And Configure. Be Up And Running In No Time.
Compliance Bar is quite easy to install. Simply upload it to your Plugins folder via your WordPress dashboard and activate.
Editable Legal Page Templates
You can easily edit the prebuilt templates inside the plugin from the settings menu using the WordPress visual editor.
Dedicated Plugin Support Team
The plugin develop provides dedicated 24/7 plugin support to assist users with anything they need.
Additional benefits and advantages include:
- Customized Legal Templates: The plugin creates your legal pages in seconds and customizes them to your business and website.
- Complete Video Training: Compliance Bar is not complicated to use and an entire library of training videos is available.
- Can Be Used In Every Country: As long as you consult someone who is qualified to give you legal advice to ascertain if the legal templates provided in the plugin are suitable and satisfactory for your business, country and website, you can use the plugin anywhere in the world.
- Can Be Used For Any Website Purpose: If your website is powered by WordPress, you can use the plugin for any website purpose. Just select the templates you need to add to your site and ignore all other irrelevant pages.
Compliance Bar Features
Compliance Bar offers a number of features to web site owners. Here are just a few of these:
- Fast and easy to install and set up. Ready to use in minutes.
- Show Attractive Icons – Compliance Bar will display links to your compliance pages using attractive icons that can be positioned anywhere in your pages. You can also upload your own icons.
- Show Restricted Content – If your site publishes content that should be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. information related to alcohol, tobacco, adult-related, etc.), you can display pop-ups that require users to accept your website’s terms and disclaimers.
- EU Cookie Compliance – If your business is based in Europe or display your content to visitors in the EU, you need to be aware of EU Cookie law. The plugin displays an attractive bar that notifies visitors and protects your website from non-compliance.
- Records And Stores IP Addresses – Compliance Bar can record your visitors’ IP address for future reference, just in case a user accepts your terms or disclaimers and then claims they haven’t.
- Shortcode Driven – The plugin uses shortcodes to automatically populate the templates with your personal information. These shortcodes also allow you to place information anywhere on your site, (even in the pop-ups).
- Compatible With Mobile Devices – The plugin has settings for displaying on mobile devices or tablets and will display mobile optimized icons automatically depending on visitor mobile browsers.
Using Compliance Bar Plugin
After installing and activating the Compliance Bar plugin, you will get access to various settings pages.
Let’s briefly review these …
There are a number of default fields in this section where you can enter your information into input (e.g. “Business Name,” “Registered Company Address,” “Contact Phone,” “Refund Duration (Days),” etc.). Not all categories are required, but some are (e.g. “Business Name,” “Registered Company Address,” etc.)
(Compliance Bar User Profile Screen – Image source: plugin documentation)
The Compliance Bar Plugin uses dynamic shortcodes to populate the information from your User Profile into your legal pages …
(Compliance Bar User Profile Section: Shortcodes – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
Once the minimum required (i.e. compulsory) data has been entered into the profile fields, you can then access the other plugin section.
The “Compliance Pages” area lists all of the plugin’s compliance templates …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Compliance Page Templates – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Last time we checked the plugin website, there were over 22 legal templates available:
- About Us
- AdSense Disclaimer
- Affiliate Agreements
- Affiliate Disclosure
- Amazon Affiliate Disclaimer
- Anti-Spam Policy
- Contact Us
- Copyright/DCMA Notice
- Double Dart Cookies
- Earnings Disclaimer
- External Links Policy
- FTC Statement
- Legal Disclaimer
- Linking Policy
- Medical Disclaimer
- Returns/Refund Policy
- Terms & Conditions
- Testimonial Disclosure
- XXX Disclosure
Creating legal pages for your website or blog is a simple process. Just select the check boxes next to the pages you want to create and click ”Save” in the “Compliance Pages” area …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Legal Templates – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
Your legal pages will then be created and added to the “Pages” section of your WordPress site.
Compliance Bar Icons
The plugin is installed with a built-in set of attractive icons for referencing your legal pages …
The icons can be changed. You can purchase an additional set of icons from the plugin developer, or create/upload your own to match the style of your site’s design …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Legal Page Template Icons – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Edit / Delete Legal Page Templates
You can customize and delete your legal disclaimers from the “Compliance Pages” section, just as you would any typical WordPress page …
(Compliance Bar: Edit Legal Page Templates – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
- Editing is recommended, as the pages contain generic content.
- The plugin notifies you if it detects existing similar pages on your site (e.g. compliance pages created before you installed the plugin).
You have many options to customize the Compliance Bar, including position, displaying links or icon images, background colors and images, icon size, specifying which pages to include an icon for in the Compliance Bar, whether or not to display the Compliance bar on your home page, which pages the Compliance Bar will display in, mobile settings, and more …
(Compliance Bar Screen: Create Bar – Image source: plugin documentation)
- You can create several Compliance Bars to show different icons on different pages, or to cover a multitude of uses in other sections of your site.
- The plugin lets you display the Compliance Bar on the main page of your site, even if you are using particular theme frameworks (like Genesis, Thesis or Woo), where the home page is specifically configured through the theme itself as a built-in template, and not as a normal “static” WordPress page.
- Due to the smaller size of mobile devices, there is a limit to the number of page icons you can display if you turn Mobile Settings “on.”
Once you have configured your Compliance Bar settings, it displays links to your compliance pages using a visually attractive icon bar on your site …
You have complete control over the location on your pages where you would like the compliance icons to be featured …
If your site contains content that may be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. content related to alcohol, ecigs, adult content, etc.), the plugin can display popups that force users to accept your terms and disclaimers.
The “Create Pop Up” area lets you fully customize your pop ups …
(Pop Ups Screen: Create Pop Up – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
You can create more than one Pop Up displaying on different pages, or to cover a range of uses throughout your site …
You can also specify a delay time to prevent Pop Ups from displaying as soon as visitors arrive, set cookie durations to prevent Pop Ups from appearing again within a specific time interval, and even record the IP addresses of visitors who accept your terms and disclaimers for future reference …
(Pop Ups Screen: IP Log Details – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
If you are based in the EU or display your content to EU visitors, you must be aware of EU compliance laws …
The Compliance Bar plugin lets you edit the settings for compliance with EU Cookies requirements, including the wording of your notification message and link text in the “EU Cookies” screen …
(EU Cookies Screen: Manage Settings – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Compliance Bar has a non-intrusive way of notifying your visitors and covering you from non-compliance.
The “Page Templates” tab, lists all of your legal page templates and shortcodes, and lets you edit their content …
The “General Settings” menu, gives you access to general information, such as promoting and sharing the plugin and receiving plugin updates …
Feedback From Plugin Customers
Here are some of the testimonials and comments that plugin customers have published about Compliance Bar Plugin:
”I got a chance to review the Compliance Bar plugin…WOW!! I have to say that its definitely one of the most NECESSARY, yet easiest to use plugin’s to hit the scene in a while. Very Solid Product. Great job Anton & team!” Shon Chris – Director (JV Peer Group)
“Don’t Risk Your Online Business” Mike Thomas (The Mike From Maine Show)
Compliance Bar – Useful Tips
Below are some additional ways you can use Compliance Bar:
- Displaying compliance icons on specific pages only.
- Minimize refund disputes by clearly spelling out refund terms before customers purchase.
- If you include content for adults only on your website, you can force visitors to click to confirm that they are of legal age to access your content.
Compliance Bar provides users with a dedicated plugin support team to help you if you experience any difficulties. You also have access to a complete set of training videos.
Additionally, your purchase is backed by a risk-free, thirty day, 200% refund guarantee. If your edition of Compliance Bar does not work within 30 days of purchase and it cannot be fixed within 48 hours (Monday to Friday), the plugin developers will refund twice the amount of your purchasing price.
- Single – Can be installed on 1 of your own domains. Price = $47 (Normally $127)
- Business License – Can be installed on up to twenty-five sites that you own. Price = $67.00 (Normally $197).
- Developer License Edition – Can be installed on all as many of your own domains as you want. Can be installed on all client sites for payment or as part of a paid service. Cost = $97.00.
Please Note: The price of Compliance Bar Plugin can vary, depending on whether there are any promotions or limited-time special offers. The price above was correct when this article was written. This may or may not be the actual price charged by the software developer when you visit the product site and there may be additional upsells or one-time offers after you’ve purchased.
Check the plugin’s website for the current price: Compliance Bar
Compliance Bar Plugin – Additional Information
Legal Pages Approved By Lawyers – The plugin developers claim on their website that all legal templates have been reviewed and approved by a lawyer. Nonetheless, we strongly recommend that you get legal advice from a qualified legal expert in your area to ensure that your site is fully compliant.
For ”how to” videos showing plugin usage, including installation instructions and tutorials, FAQs, support helpdesk, contact details and more, visit the Compliance Bar Plugin website.
Install The Plugin
Compliance Bar is an easy-to-use, simple and cost-effective solution for WordPress-driven sites. We recommend installing this WordPress plugin if you want immediate peace of mind and legal protection.
For complete details, visit the plugin website: Compliance Bar – Compliance Bar Plugin – WordPress Compliance Plugin
Important: Once again, please note that we are not lawyers and we are not offering legal advice in this article. You must do your own due diligence and consult a legal expert about the best way of ensuring that your website fully complies with the law in your country or region.