If your website doesn’t comply with laws intended to protect consumer rights, you’re breaking the law.
Being non-compliant puts you at risk of suffering significant financial losses and the loss of your reputation. Why risk your money and your business reputation, when you can protect yourself so inexpensively?
In this article, we look at a simple and inexpensive WordPress solution that can help make your website compliant just minutes.
Does Your Site Comply With The Law?
As the internet continues to grow at an extraordinary rate and rules keep changing, it’s important that you stay informed about what’s going on and to make sure that your website or blog remains compliant with all laws and regulations, especially if your digital presence is an essential component of your business strategy.
You could also be inadvertently leaving yourself open and vulnerable to lawsuits or legal action.
At the very least, without making it clear to your visitors that your website complies with legal requirements and guidelines, visitors may lose trust and confidence in your business.
(In addition to legal and regulatory compliance, almost all 3rd-party websites require you to comply with their policies and guidelines!)
Legal Disclaimer: Please note that we are not lawyers and we cannot offer legal advice on our website.
The purpose of this article is to make you aware that:
- Your website may be subject to certain legal requirements in accordance with mandatory laws and regulations that govern your business (some of which you may not even be aware of),
- The importance of remaining compliant with the terms of service of third-party providers whose products or services you are offering or endorsing online, and
- There are solutions that can help your business become compliant, such as the solution that we discuss in this post.
In this article, you will learn about a complete compliance & disclaimer solution for your WordPress-based site.
Our WordPress Plugin Of The Month Is …
Compliance Bar Plugin – WP Compliance Plugin
Compliance Bar is an easy-to-use WordPress plugin containing over 20 customizable legal templates for your digital presence …
Learn more here: Compliance Bar
Compliance Bar Plugin Benefits
Below we have listed just some of the benefits of using Compliance Bar to instantly make your web site legally compliant:
Fast And Simple To Install And Set Up. Ready To Start Using In Minutes.
Compliance Bar Plugin installs like any regular WP plugin. Simply upload a zip folder containing the plugin files to your Plugin folder via your dashboard and activate.
Legal Page Templates Are Easy To Edit
You can easily make changes to the default compliance page templates inside the plugin from the settings menu with the visual editor.
Dedicated Plugin Support Team
The plugin develop provides a dedicated team to help you with anything you need.
Additional benefits include the following:
- Customized Legal Templates: Compliance Bar will create your legal pages in seconds and customizes them to your business and website.
- Video Training Library: Compliance Bar is not complicated to use - a full library of training videos is available.
- Can Be Used In Every Country: As long as you consult a qualified legal representative to make sure that the legal page templates provided with the plugin are suitable and satisfactory for your business, country and website, you can use the plugin wherever you are located.
- Use In All Niches: If your website or blog runs on WordPress, you can use the plugin for all website purposes. Just select the pages you want to add to your site and leave out any unnecessary pages.
Compliance Bar Plugin offers a number of features to website owners. Below we have listed just some:
- Quick and easy to install and implement. Ready to start using in minutes.
- Display Attractive Icon Bar – The plugin will display links to your compliance pages using attractive icons that can be positioned anywhere in your pages. You can also upload your own icons.
- Display Sensitive Content – If your website publishes content that should be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. information related to alcohol, tobacco, dating, etc.), the plugin can display pop-ups that require users to accept your terms and disclaimers.
- EU Cookie Compliance – If your business is based in the EU or display your content to visitors in the EU, you must make users aware of your user cookies and notify them of how you use them. The plugin displays an attractive bar that notifies users and protects your website from non-compliance issues.
- Records And Stores IP Acceptance – Compliance Bar records and stores your visitors’ IP address for reference, just in case someone accepts your terms or disclaimers and then claims they haven’t.
- Shortcode Driven – The plugin uses shortcodes to automatically populate templates with your personal information. These shortcodes also allow you to place information anywhere on your site, (including the pop-ups).
- Works On Mobile Devices – Compliance Bar has settings for displaying on mobile devices and will display mobile optimized icons automatically based on visitor mobile browsers.
Using The Plugin
Once the plugin has been installed, the plugin’s “Settings” screen is added to your WP backend.
Let’s go through these briefly …
There are a number of default categories in this section where you can input your business information into input (e.g. “Contact Name,” “Registered Company Address,” “Location Details,” “Niche Market,” etc.). Not all categories are compulsory, but some are (e.g. “Contact Name,” “Registered Company Address,” etc.)
(Compliance Bar Plugin User Profile Screen – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
Compliance Bar uses dynamic shortcodes to insert the information you have entered into your User Profile fields into your page templates …
(Compliance Bar User Profile Page: Shortcodes – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
Once the minimum required (i.e. compulsory) information has been input into the profile fields, you can then access the other plugin areas.
The “Compliance Pages” section contains all of your pages …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Legal Page Templates – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
When we last checked the Compliance Bar plugin website, there were over 22 compliance pages available to plugin users:
- About Us
- AdSense Disclaimer
- Affiliate Agreements
- Affiliate Disclosure Statement
- Amazon Affiliate Disclaimer
- Anti-Spam Policy
- Contact Us
- Copyright/DCMA Notice
- Double Dart Cookies
- Earnings Disclaimer
- External Links Policy
- FTC Statement
- Legal Disclaimer
- Linking Policy
- Medical Disclaimer
- Returns/Refund Policy
- Terms & Conditions
- Testimonial Disclosure
- Adult Content Disclosure
Creating compliance pages for your website is a simple process. Just select the check boxes next to the pages you want to create and click ”Save” on the “Create Pages” section …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Legal Templates – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Your legal pages will then be created and added to your “Pages” section.
Compliance Bar Icons
The plugin comes with a built-in set of attractive icons for referencing your legal pages …
The Compliance Bar icons are customizable. You can purchase an additional set of icons from the plugin developer, or create/upload your own to match the style of your theme …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Compliance Template Icons – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
Edit / Delete Legal Page Templates
You can customize and delete your compliance templates from the “Compliance Pages” tab, just like any typical WordPress page …
(Compliance Bar: Edit Compliance Pages – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
- Editing your legal pages is recommended, as the pages contain generic content.
- The plugin indicates if it detects existing similar pages on your site (e.g. pages created before you installed the plugin).
You have many options to customize the Compliance Bar, including where to position the bar, displaying links or icon images, background colors and images, icon size, specifying which pages to include an icon for in the Compliance Bar, whether or not to display the Compliance bar on your home page, which pages the Compliance Bar will display in, mobile settings, and more …
(Compliance Bar Screen: Create Bar – Image source: plugin documentation)
- You can create more than one Compliance Bar to show different disclaimers on different pages, or to cover different uses throughout your website.
- The plugin allows you to display a Compliance Bar on the main page of your site, even if you are using a specific 3rd-party theme framework (like Genesis, Thesis or WooThemes), where the home page is configured through the theme itself as a built-in template, and not as a “regular” page.
- Due to the smaller size of mobile device screens, you can only select up to a certain number of page icons to display if you turn Mobile Settings “on.”
Once you have configured your Compliance Bar settings, it will display links to your compliance pages using a visually attractive icon bar on your site …
You have complete control over the location on your pages where you would like to feature your compliance bar …
If you plan to display content that needs to be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. information related to alcohol, ecigs, adult-related, etc.), you can display popups that restricts access to visitors who do not accept your website’s terms or disclaimers.
The “Create Pop Up” section gives you full control over the settings and wordings of your pop ups …
(Pop Ups Screen: Create Pop Up – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
You can create several Pop Ups for different pages, or to cover various uses throughout your website …
You can also specify a delay time if you don’t want a Pop Up to display as soon as visitors arrive, set cookie durations to prevent Pop Ups from displaying again within a specific time interval, and capture the IP addresses of visitors who accept your terms and disclaimers for future reference …
(Pop Ups Section: IP Log Details – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
If you do business in Europe or display your content to visitors in the EU, you must make users aware of your user cookies and notify them of how you use them …
The Compliance Bar plugin lets you manage the settings for compliance with EU User Cookies requirements, including the wording of your notification message and link text in the “EU Cookies” tab …
(EU Cookies Section: Manage Settings – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
Compliance Bar has a non-intrusive way of notifying your visitors and covering you from non-compliance.
The “Page Templates” screen, lists all of your legal pages and shortcodes, and lets you edit their content …
The “General Settings” tab, lets you access general information, such as promoting and sharing the plugin and getting plugin updates …
Feedback From Users
Below are a couple of the testimonials plugin users have written about the Compliance Bar plugin:
“1000% Highly Recommend This” Anthony La Rocca – Founder (Hustle Marketing)
”You wouldn’t drive a car around without insurance…so don’t RISK your online business by neglecting a simple, but important detail: website compliance. Grab your copy of Compliance Bar & protect yourself today!” Mike Thomas (The Mike From Maine Show)
Here are a few extra ways to use The Compliance Bar Plugin:
- Displaying compliance icons on specific pages of your website only.
- Ending refund disputes by clearly spelling out refund terms before customers purchase.
- If you include content that is deemed inappropriate for persons below a certain age on your website, you can force visitors to click to confirm that they are of legal age to access your content.
Plugin Developers provide users with dedicated support to assist users if they experience any difficulties. Users also have access to a complete set of training videos.
Additionally, your purchase is backed by a no-risk, thirty day, 200% refund guarantee. If your copy of Compliance Bar does not work within 30 days of purchase and it cannot be fixed within 48 business hours (Monday to Friday), the plugin developers will refund double the amount of the purchase price.
- Single Site License – Can be installed on a single domain. Price = $47 (Normally $127)
- Business Edition – Install the plugin on up to twenty-five of your own sites. Price = $67.00 (Normally $197).
- Professional License – Can be installed on all of your own sites. Can be installed on any client site for payment or part of a paid service. Cost = $97.00.
Note: The cost of purchasing this product can vary, depending on whether there are any promotions or limited-time special offers. The above reflects the current pricing at the time this review was written. This may not be the actual price set by the software developer when you visit the plugin site and there may be additional upsells or one-time offers after you’ve purchased.
Check the plugin’s website for current pricing details: Compliance Bar
Legal Page Templates Reviewed By Lawyers – The plugin developers claim on their website that all legal page templates have already been reviewed and approved by a leading lawyer. Nonetheless, we highly recommend that you get legal advice from a qualified legal expert in your area for your own peace of mind.
For ”how-to” videos of the plugin, including installation instructions and tutorials, FAQs, customer help desk, contact details and more, visit the Compliance Bar Plugin website.
Get The Plugin
Compliance Bar is an easy-to-use, simple and cost-effective solution for WordPress-driven sites. We recommend installing this plugin for WordPress users if you want immediate peace of mind and legal protection.
For complete details, check out the plugin here: Compliance Bar – Compliance Bar Plugin – WP Compliance Plugin
Important: Once again, we are not lawyers and we offer no legal advice here. Do your own due diligence and consult a legal expert about the best way of ensuring that your website fully complies with the law in your country or region.