If your website isn’t compliant with laws designed to protect consumers, you’re breaking the law.
Being non-compliant not only puts you at risk of incurring significant financial costs, but also the loss of your reputation. Why risk your money and your good reputation, when you can protect yourself so inexpensively?
In this article, we review a simple and cost-effective WordPress solution that can help make your website compliant in minutes.
Does Your Site Comply With The Law?
As the cybersphere continues to grow at an extraordinary rate and the rules are constantly changing, it’s vital that you stay informed about what’s happening and to make sure that your website or blog remains legal, especially if your digital presence is a fundamental aspect of your business strategy.
If you do not display certain legal pages on your site (e.g. terms and conditions of use, privacy statement, financial disclaimers, etc.), many third-party sites like Google won’t let you advertise, digital marketplaces like ClickBank won’t approve your digital products on their network, PayPal could close down your account and withhold payment of your funds, Facebook and many other social sites could suspend your web apps, and you won’t be allowed into most advertising and affiliate marketing networks.
If your website is not in compliance, you could face a whole range of penalties, including fines, having your website shut down, even jail time!
At the very least, if your web presence is not compliant, expect visitor trust and confidence in your business to be irrepairably diminished.
(In addition to legal and regulatory compliance, most 3rd-party websites require you to comply with their policies and guidelines!)
Legal Disclaimer: Please note that we are not lawyers and we are not offering legal advice here.
The purpose of this article is to make you aware that:
- Your website may be subject to a number of legal requirements in accordance with the laws and regulations that govern your business,
- How important it is to be compliant with the terms of service of third-party providers whose products or services you may be promoting or using online, and
- There are solutions that can help your website become more compliant, such as the plugin that we review below.
If you suspect that your web site is falling short in terms of compliance, here is a simple WordPress plugin you should know more about.
Compliance Bar – Website Compliance Plugin For WordPress
Compliance Bar Plugin is a total compliance & disclaimer solution for your digital presence …
Learn more about the plugin here: Compliance Bar Plugin
Below are just some of the benefits of using Compliance Bar to instantly make your web site compliant:
Installation Is Easy
Compliance Bar is really easy to install. Simply upload a zip folder that contains the plugin files to your Plugins folder via your dashboard and activate.
Easy-To-Edit Compliance Page Templates
Easily modify the prebuilt compliance page templates inside Compliance Bar from the settings menu using the WordPress WYSIWYG editor.
Dedicated 24/7 Plugin Support Team
Compliance Bar plugin provides dedicated 24/7 plugin support to assist you.
Additional plugin benefits include the following:
- Customized Legal Templates: The plugin creates your legal pages in seconds and customizes them to your business and website.
- Video Training Manuals: Compliance Bar is not difficult to use and an entire library of training videos is available.
- Use In Every Country: As long as you consult a qualified legal representative to ascertain if the default legal templates provided with the plugin are suitable and satisfactory for your business, country and website, you can use the plugin wherever your business is located.
- Can Be Used On All WordPress Sites: If your website or blog is built with WordPress, you can use the plugin for any website purpose. Just select the compliance pages you need to add to your site and leave out any unnecessary pages.
Compliance Bar provides many features to WP users. Below we have listed just a few:
- Fast and simple to install and set up. Be up and running in no time.
- Display Attractive Icon Bar – Display links to your compliance pages using attractive icons that can be placed anywhere in your pages. You can also upload your own icons.
- Show Sensitive Information – If you plan to show content that may be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. content related to alcohol, ecigs, adult content, etc.), Compliance Bar can display popups that force users to accept your terms or disclaimers.
- EU Cookie Compliance – If you are based in the EU or display your content to EU visitors, you must make users aware of your user cookies and notify them of how you use them. The plugin displays an attractive bar that notifies your visitors and covers your business from non-compliance.
- Records And Stores IP Acceptance – The plugin records the IP addresses of your visitors for future reference, just in case someone accepts your terms or disclaimers and then claims they didn’t.
- Shortcode Driven – Compliance Bar uses shortcodes to automatically populate legal pages with your personal information. These shortcodes also allow you to place information anywhere on your site or blog, (including the popups).
- Mobile Friendly – The plugin has individual settings for displaying on mobile devices and displays mobile optimized icons automatically depending on the browser being used.
Compliance Bar Features – Details
After installing and activating the Compliance Bar plugin, a section where the plugin’s settings can be configured will be added to your WP backend.
Let’s go through these briefly …
There are a number of default categories in this area where your information can be input (e.g. “Business Name,” “Support Desk URL,” “Company Phone Number,” “Refund Period,” etc.). Not all categories are required, but some are (e.g. “Business Name,” “Support Email,” etc.)
(Compliance Bar User Profile Page – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Compliance Bar uses shortcodes to populate the information from your User Profile into your legal page templates …
(Compliance Bar User Profile Screen: Shortcodes – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Once the minimum required data has been input into the profile fields, users can then access the other sections of the plugin.
The “Compliance Pages” section lists all of the pages …
(Compliance Bar: Compliance Pages – Image source: plugin documentation)
Last time we checked the plugin website, there were over 20 legal templates available to plugin users:
- About Us
- AdSense Disclaimer
- Affiliate Agreements
- Affiliate Disclosure Statement
- Amazon Affiliate Disclaimer
- Anti-Spam Policy
- Contact Us
- Copyright/DCMA Notice
- Double Dart Cookies
- Earnings Disclaimer
- External Links Policy
- FTC Statement
- Legal Disclaimer
- Linking Policy
- Medical Disclaimer
- Returns/Refund Policy
- Terms & Conditions
- Testimonial Disclosure
- XXX Disclosure
You can create legal pages for your site quickly and easily by simply selecting check boxes and clicking the “Save” button at the bottom of the “Compliance Pages” screen …
(Compliance Bar: Compliance Page Templates – Image source: plugin documentation)
Your legal pages will then be created and added to your “Pages” section.
Compliance Bar Icons
The plugin is installed with a default set of attractive icons for referencing your legal pages …
Icons are customizable. You can purchase an additional set of icons from the plugin developer, or create/upload your own to match the style of your theme …
(Compliance Bar: Legal Template Icons – Image source: plugin documentation)
Edit / Delete Compliance Page Templates
You can easily modify and delete the legal disclaimers from the “Compliance Pages” section, just like any other page in WordPress …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Edit Legal Page Templates – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
- Customizing your legal pages is recommended, as the pages contain generic content.
- The plugin will notify you if it detects existing similar pages on your site (e.g. legal pages created before you installed the plugin).
You have various options to customize the Compliance Bar, including position, displaying links or icon images, background colors and images, image size, selecting which pages should be included in the Compliance Bar, whether or not to display the Compliance bar on your home page, which pages the Compliance Bar will display in, mobile settings, and more …
(Compliance Bar Screen: Create Bar – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
- You can create unlimited Compliance Bars to show different disclaimers on different pages, or to cover various uses in different sections of your site.
- The plugin allows you to display a Compliance Bar on the front page of your site, even if you are using particular 3rd-party themes (e.g. Genesis, Thesis or Woo), where the home page is specifically configured through the theme settings as a built-in template, and not as a “regular” page.
- Due to the smaller size of mobile screens, there is a limit to the number of page icons you can display if you turn Mobile Settings “on.”
Once you have specified your Compliance Bar settings, it will display links to your legal using dynamic icon bar on your site …
You have complete control over the location on your pages where you would like to display your compliance bar …
If your website contains content that may be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. information related to alcohol, ecigs, adult content, etc.), the plugin can display pop-ups that require users to accept your site’s terms and disclaimers.
The “Create Pop Up” screen lets you fully customize your pop ups …
(Pop Ups Section: Create Pop Up – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
You can create multiple customized Pop Ups displaying on different pages, or to cover a multitude of uses throughout your website …
You can also set a delay time to prevent Pop Ups from displaying immediately, set a cookie duration to prevent Pop Ups from displaying again within a specific time interval, and store the IP addresses of visitors who accept your terms and disclaimers for future reference …
(Pop Ups Screen: IP Log Details – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
If your business is based in Europe or display your content to visitors in the EU, you must be aware of EU compliance laws …
Compliance Bar lets you customize the settings for compliance with EU Cookies requirements, including the wording of your notification message and link text in the “EU Cookies” screen …
(EU Cookies Screen: Manage Settings – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Compliance Bar has a non-intrusive way of notifying your visitors and covering you from non-compliance.
The “Page Templates” area, lists all of your legal templates and shortcodes, and lets you edit their content …
The “General Settings” tab, lets you access general information, such as promoting and sharing the plugin and receiving plugin updates …
Feedback From Users
Here are some of the testimonials plugin users have written about Compliance Bar:
”WOW” Shon Chris – Director (JV Peer Group)
”I wanted to reach out & say Compliance Bar is a truly amazing product for keeping my online marketing efforts on the right side of the internet laws. Not only does it look fantastic on my sites, it is also intuitive and robustly powerful. It is packed full of features to allow me the flexibility to control exactly what my visitors need to see and know” Patrick Mauchant – PT Enviromate Technology
Compliance Bar Plugin – Useful Tips
Below are some additional ways to use The Compliance Bar Plugin:
- Display compliance icons only on specific pages.
- End refund disputes by clearly spelling out the refund terms before customers purchase.
- If you include adult content on your site, you can force visitors to click to confirm that they are of legal age to access your content.
Compliance Bar Support
Plugin Developers provide users with dedicated support to help users if they experience any issues. Users also have access to a complete library of training videos.
Additionally, your purchase is backed by a risk-free, thirty day, 200% refund guarantee. If your version of Compliance Bar does not work within 30 days of purchase and it cannot be fixed within 48 business hours (M – F), the plugin developers will refund double the amount of your cost of purchasing.
- Single Edition – Install the plugin on one of your own sites. Cost = $47 (Normally $127)
- Business Edition – Can be installed on up to 25 of your own sites. Cost = $67.00 (Normally $197).
- Developer – Can be installed on multiple as many of your own sites as you need. Can be installed on any client site for payment or part of a paid service. Price = $97.00.
Note: Pricing details of Compliance Bar Plugin can vary, depending on whether there are any promotions or limited-time specials being offered. The above reflects the price at the time this article was written. This may not be the actual pricing set by the plugin developer when you visit the product website and you may be shown additional upsells or one-time offers after you’ve purchased.
Check the plugin’s website for the latest pricing: Compliance Bar Plugin
Compliance Bar Plugin – Additional Information
Templates Approved By Lawyers – The plugin developers claim on their website that all legal page templates have been reviewed and approved by lawyers. Nonetheless, we highly recommend that you get legal advice from a qualified legal expert in your area for your peace of mind.
For a demo video of the plugin, including installation instructions and tutorials, FAQs, support help desk, contact details and more, visit the Compliance Bar website.
Get The Plugin
Compliance Bar is an easy-to-use, simple and cost-effective solution for WordPress sites. We recommend installing this WordPress plugin if you want immediate peace of mind and legal protection.
For complete details, visit the plugin website here: Compliance Bar Plugin – Compliance Bar Plugin – Website Compliance Plugin For WordPress
Legal Disclaimer: Once again, please note that we are not lawyers and we are not offering legal advice on this website. You must do your own due diligence and consult a legal expert about the best way to ensure that your website is compliant with the law wherever your business is based.