If your website isn’t compliant with laws intended to protect the rights of consumers, you’re breaking the law.
Being non-compliant not only puts you at risk of incurring significant financial loss, but also the loss of your reputation. Why risk your money and your business reputation, when you can protect yourself so inexpensively?
In this article, we review a simple and cost-effective solution for WordPress users that can help make your site legally compliant just minutes.
Does Your Site Comply With The Law?
As the digital business realm continues to grow at an extraordinary rate and rules keep changing, it’s vitally important that you stay on top of what’s going on and to make sure that your website or blog remains legally compliant, especially if your digital presence is an essential component of your overall business strategy.
If you do not display certain legal pages on your site (e.g. terms of service, privacy statement, financial disclaimers, etc.), many sites such as Google won’t let you advertise, sites like ClickBank will not allow you to list your digital products for sale, PayPal may close down your account and withhold payment of your funds, Facebook will suspend your web apps, and you won’t be accepted into various advertising and merchant networks.
If you are not in compliance, you could face a number of penalties, including fines, having your website shut down, even jail time!
At the very least, if you don’t make it clear to your visitors that your website complies with all legal requirements and guidelines, expect visitor trust and confidence in your business to be seriously affected.
(In addition to legal and regulatory compliance, almost all third-party websites require you to comply with their policies!)
Legal Disclaimer: We are not lawyers and we offer no legal advice here.
The purpose of this article is to make you aware that:
- Your website could be subject to numerous legal requirements in accordance with federal, state or local laws that govern your business,
- How important it is to comply with the terms of service of third-party providers whose products or services you may be offering or using online, and
- There are plugin-based solutions for WordPress users that can help your site become compliant, such as the plugin that we review below.
In this article, we review a simple plugin for WordPress users that provides a complete compliance and disclaimer solution for your digital business.
Let’s Review …
Compliance Bar Plugin – Compliance Plugin For WordPress
Compliance Bar Plugin is a complete compliance & disclaimer solution for your site …
More info: Compliance Bar Plugin
Here are just some of the benefits of using Compliance Bar to instantly make your web site legally compliant:
Be Up And Running In Minutes
Compliance Bar Plugin is quite easy to install. Just upload a zip file that contains the plugin files to your Plugins folder via your administrator account and activate.
Legal Page Templates Are Really Easy To Edit
You can easily edit the prebuilt legal page templates inside the plugin from the settings menu with the visual content editor.
Compliance Bar provides dedicated support to assist users.
Additional plugin benefits include the following:
- Customized Legal Templates: The Compliance Bar plugin creates your legal pages in seconds and customizes them to your business and website.
- Video Training: Compliance Bar is not complicated to use and a full library of training videos is available if you need assistance.
- Use Anywhere In The World: As long as you consult someone who is qualified to give you legal advice to make sure that the default templates provided in Compliance Bar are suitable and satisfactory for your business, country and website, you can use the plugin anywhere in the world.
- Use For All Website Purposes: As long as your website runs on WordPress, you can use the plugin for all website purposes. Select only the types of disclaimers that suit your particular business model (e.g. affiliate or CPA marketing, business services, AdSense, AdWords, adult, medical, etc) and ignore any pages that are not required.
Compliance Bar Plugin Features
Compliance Bar provides many great features to WordPress users. Here are just a few:
- Quick and simple to install and implement. Ready to use in very little time.
- Show Attractive Icons – Compliance Bar will display links to your legal pages in the form of attractive icons that can be placed on different locations in your pages. You can also upload icons of your choice.
- Show Sensitive Information – If you plan to show content that may be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. content related to alcohol, tobacco, dating, etc.), the plugin can display pop-ups that force users to accept your site’s terms and disclaimers.
- EU Cookie Compliance – If you do business in Europe or display your content to visitors in the EU, you must make users aware of your user cookies and notify them of how you use them. Compliance Bar displays an attractive bar notifying visitors and covering you from non-compliance.
- Records And Stores IP Addresses – The plugin can record the IP addresses of your visitors for reference, just in case someone accepts your terms or disclaimers and then claims otherwise.
- Shortcodes – Compliance Bar is integrated with shortcodes that automatically populate the templates with your personal information. These shortcodes also allow you to place information anywhere on your site, (even in the pop-ups).
- Works On Mobile Devices – The plugin has settings for displaying on mobile devices and will display mobile optimized icons automatically depending on the web browser being used.
Features – Details
After installing and activating the plugin, users will have access to a section where the plugin’s settings can be configured.
Let’s briefly review these …
There are a number of default fields in this screen where you can enter your business information into input (e.g. “Contact Name,” “Company Address,” “Contact Phone,” “Niche Market,” etc.). Not all categories are compulsory, but some are (e.g. “Contact Name,” “Company Address,” etc.)
(Compliance Bar User Profile Section – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
The Compliance Bar Plugin uses shortcodes to dynamically populate the information from your User Profile fields inside your legal templates …
(Compliance Bar Plugin User Profile Page: Shortcodes – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Once the minimum required (i.e. compulsory) information has been input into the user profile fields, users can then access the other sections of the plugin.
The “Compliance Pages” section contains all of your compliance templates …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Legal Pages – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
When we last checked the plugin website, there were over 20 legal page templates available to WordPress users:
- About Us
- AdSense Disclaimer
- Affiliate Agreements
- Affiliate Disclosure
- Amazon Affiliate Disclaimer
- Anti-Spam Policy
- Contact Us
- Copyright/DCMA Notice
- Double Dart Cookies
- Earnings Disclaimer
- External Links Policy
- FTC Statement
- Legal Disclaimer
- Linking Policy
- Medical Disclaimer
- Returns/Refund Policy
- Terms & Conditions
- Testimonial Disclosure
- XXX Disclosure
Creating compliance pages for your blog or website can be easily done. Just select the checkboxes next to the pages you want to create and click ”Save” in the “Compliance Pages” section …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Legal Pages – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Your legal pages will then be created and added to your “Pages” section.
Compliance Bar Icons
The plugin is installed with a default set of attractive icons for referencing your legal pages …
Icons can be changed. You can purchase additional icons from the plugin developer, or create/upload your own to match the style of your site’s design …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Compliance Page Template Icons – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
Edit / Delete Compliance Page Templates
You can edit and delete your compliance pages from the “Compliance Pages” section, just like any other WordPress page …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Edit Legal Templates – Image source: plugin documentation)
- Editing your legal pages is recommended, as the pages contain generic content.
- The plugin will notify you if it detects existing similar pages on your site (e.g. legal pages created before installing the plugin).
The plugin settings area provides many options to customize the Compliance Bar, including position, displaying links or icon images, background colors and images, icon size, specifying which pages to include an icon for in the Compliance Bar, whether or not to display the Compliance bar on your main page, which pages the Compliance Bar will display in, mobile settings, etc. …
(Compliance Bar Screen: Create Bar – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
- You can create unlimited Compliance Bars to show different icons on different pages, or to cover a range of uses throughout your site.
- The plugin allows you to display the Compliance Bar on the main page of your website, even if you are using particular theme frameworks (e.g. Genesis, Thesis or WooThemes), where the home page is configured through the theme settings as a built-in template, and not as a “regular” WordPress page.
- Due to the smaller size of mobile devices, you can only select up to a certain number of page icons to display if you turn Mobile Settings “on.”
Once you have configured your Compliance Bar settings, it displays links to your compliance pages using dynamic icon bar on your site …
You have full control over the location on your pages where you would like to display the compliance icons …
If your site publishes content that may be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. information related to alcohol, tobacco, adult, etc.), you can display pop-ups that blocks access to users who do not accept your website’s terms and disclaimers.
The “Create Pop Up” screen lets you fully customize your pop ups …
(Pop Ups Section: Create Pop Up – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
You can create an unlimited number of customized Pop Ups displaying on different pages, or to cover different uses in different sections of your website …
You can also set a delay time if you don’t want the Pop Ups to display immediately, set a cookie duration to prevent Pop Ups from appearing again within a specific time interval, and record the IP addresses of visitors who accept your terms and disclaimers for future reference …
(Pop Ups Section: IP Log Details – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
If your business is based in Europe or display your content to EU visitors, you need to make users aware of your user cookies and notify them of how you use them …
The plugin lets you customize the settings for compliance with EU Cookies requirements, including the wording of your notification message and link text in the “EU Cookies” screen …
(EU Cookies Section: Manage Settings – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
Compliance Bar has a non-intrusive way of notifying your visitors and covering you from non-compliance.
The “Page Templates” section, lists all of your compliance templates and shortcodes, and lets you edit their content …
The “General Settings” section, gives you access to general information, such as promoting and sharing the plugin and receiving plugin updates …
Here are a couple of the testimonials plugin users have provided for the Compliance Bar Plugin plugin:
”When I got my hands on Compliance Bar, I knew I needed help to be compliant, but I had no idea how much danger I was in, nor did I know all of the different things I needed to be compliant. Once I installed Compliance Bar, I was able to very quickly add all the items I needed to ensure I didn’t end up getting fined by various agencies, or have my site pulled from Google. The best part is that getting it all set up took only minutes, and I know that I am far safer than I was. Compliance Bar is one of the best plugins I have used in a long time.” Ray Lane – (The Video Guy)
”I Highly Recommend Compliance Bar” Tony Grant (Portfolio Sports)
Here are a few additional ways you can use Compliance Bar:
- Display compliance icons only on specific pages of your site.
- Ending refund disputes by clearly spelling out the refund terms before purchase.
- If your website contains adult content, you can force visitors to click to confirm that they are of legal age to view your content.
Compliance Bar Product Support
Compliance Bar provides users with a dedicated team to assist you with anything you need. Users also have access to video training.
Additionally, your purchase is backed by a risk-free, 30 day, 200% refund guarantee. If your edition of Compliance Bar does not work within 30 days of purchase and it cannot be fixed within 48 hours (M – F), the plugin developers will refund double the amount of your cost of purchase.
- Single – Install the plugin on a single domain. Price = $37 (Normally $127)
- Business – Can be installed on 25 of your own domains. Cost = $67.00 (Normally $197).
- Professional Edition – Install the plugin on multiple as many of your own sites as you need. Can be installed on any client site for payment or part of a paid service. Price = $97.00.
Note: The cost to purchase the Compliance Bar Plugin software can vary, depending on whether there are any promotions or limited-time special offers. Presently, the product retails for the pricing shown above. This may or may not be the actual pricing charged by the plugin seller when you visit the product site and there may be additional upsells or one-time offers after you’ve purchased.
Check the plugin’s website for the latest pricing: Compliance Bar
Compliance Bar – Additional Information
Legal Page Templates Reviewed By Lawyers – The plugin developers assure users on their website that all legal templates have been reviewed and approved by lawyers. Nonetheless, we highly recommend that you get advice from a qualified legal expert in your area to ensure that your site is fully compliant.
For a demo video showing how the software works, including help documentation and tutorials, FAQs, customer help desk, contact details and more, visit the Compliance Bar website.
Download The Plugin
Compliance Bar is an easy-to-use, simple and cost-effective solution for WordPress websites. We recommend installing this plugin for WordPress users if you want immediate peace of mind and legal protection.
For complete details, check out the plugin here: Compliance Bar Plugin – Compliance Bar – WordPress Website Compliance Plugin
Note: Once again, we are not lawyers and we offer no legal advice on our website. You must do your own due diligence and consult a legal expert about the best way to ensure that your website fully complies with all legal requirements wherever your business is based.