Your internet presence has to comply with a whole set of laws and regulations, many of which you may probably not even be aware of.
Being non-compliant not only puts you at risk of incurring financial losses, but also the loss of your reputation. Why risk your money and your good reputation, when you can protect yourself so easily and inexpensively?
In this article, we review a simple and cost-effective WordPress solution that can help make your site fully compliant just minutes.
Does Your Site Comply With All Legal Requirements?
As the internet continues growing at an extraordinary rate and the rules of the game constantly change, it’s vital to stay informed about what’s happening and to make sure that your website or blog remains legal, especially if your web presence is an integral component of your business strategy.
If you do not display certain legal pages on your website (e.g. terms and conditions of use, privacy statement, earning disclaimers, etc.), many sites like Google won’t let you advertise, digital marketplaces like ClickBank will not approve your digital products on their network, PayPal may close down your account and withhold payment of your funds, Facebook and many other social networks will suspend your web applications, and you won’t be accepted into various other advertising and merchant networks.
You may also be inadvertently leaving yourself open and vulnerable to legal action.
At the very least, if your website is not in compliance, it may impact on your visitors trust and confidence about doing any future business with you.
(In addition to legal and regulatory compliance, most third-party websites require you to comply with their policies!)
Legal Disclaimer: We are not lawyers and we offer no legal advice on our website.
The purpose of this post is to make you aware that:
- Your website could be subject to various legal requirements in accordance with mandatory federal, state or local laws that govern your business (some of which you may not even be aware of),
- How important it is to maintain compliance with the terms of service of third-party providers whose products or services you may be offering or using on your website, and
- There are easy solutions for WordPress users that can help your business become compliant, such as the plugin that we review below.
If you suspect that your website or blog is falling short in aspects of compliance, below we review a simple plugin for WordPress-powered websites and blogs that you will probably be interested in knowing more about.
Compliance Bar Plugin – Website Compliance Plugin For WordPress
Compliance Bar Plugin is an easy-to-install plugin for WordPress users with over twenty customizable compliance page templates for your digital business …
Learn more here: Compliance Bar Plugin
Benefits Of Using Compliance Bar Plugin
Below are just a few of the benefits of using Compliance Bar to make your website or blog instantly compliant:
Installation Is Easy & Simple
Compliance Bar installs like any plugin. Just upload a zip file containing the plugin files to your Plugin folder via your dashboard and activate.
Easily Editable Page Templates
You can easily make changes to the built-in templates inside Compliance Bar from the settings menu with the WordPress visual editor.
24/7 Plugin Support
Compliance Bar provides a dedicated team to assist users if they experience any difficulties.
Some additional benefits and advantages include the following:
- Customized Legal Page Templates: The plugin creates your legal pages in seconds and customizes them to your business and website.
- Video Training: Compliance Bar is not complicated to use and a full library of training videos is available.
- Can Be Used Anywhere In The World: As long as you consult someone who is qualified to give you legal advice to ascertain if the built-in legal page templates provided with the plugin are suitable and satisfactory for your business, country and website, you can use the plugin wherever your business is located.
- Use On All WordPress Sites: As long as your website runs on WordPress, you can use the plugin for all website purposes. Just select the pages you want to add to your site and leave out any irrelevant pages.
Compliance Bar Plugin offers many great features to website owners. Below we have listed just some of these:
- Quick and easy to install and use. Be up and running in minutes.
- Show Visually Appealing Icons – Display links to your legal pages using attractive icons that can be positioned anywhere in your pages. You can also upload your own icons.
- Display Sensitive Content – If your website includes content that may be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. information related to alcohol, ecigs, adult content, etc.), the plugin can display popups that require users to accept your website’s terms and disclaimers.
- EU User Cookie Compliance – If you are based in Europe or display your content to EU visitors, you need to make users aware of your user cookies and notify them of how you use them. Compliance Bar displays an attractive bar notifying visitors and covering your website from non-compliance issues.
- Record & Store IP Acceptance – Compliance Bar records and stores your visitors’ IP address for reference, just in case a visitor accepts your terms or disclaimers and then claims otherwise.
- Shortcode Driven – The plugin uses shortcodes to automatically populate the templates with your personal information. These shortcodes also allow you to place information anywhere on your website, (including the popups).
- Works On Mobile Devices – The plugin has individual settings for displaying on mobile devices and tablets and displays mobile optimized icons automatically based on visitor browsers.
Plugin Features – Details
After installing and activating the Compliance Bar plugin, a section where the plugin’s settings can be configured gets added to your WP dashboard.
Let’s go through these briefly …
There are a number of default categories in this section where your business information can be entered (e.g. “Contact Name,” “Registered Company Address,” “Company Phone Number,” “Refund Duration (Days),” etc.). Not all categories are compulsory, but some are (e.g. “Business Name,” “Support Desk URL,” etc.)
(Compliance Bar Plugin User Profile Section – Image source: plugin documentation)
Compliance Bar uses shortcodes to dynamically insert the information entered into your User Profile fields inside your legal templates …
(Compliance Bar Plugin User Profile Screen: Shortcodes – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
Once the minimum required (i.e. compulsory) information has been entered into the profile fields, users can then access the other plugin section.
The “Compliance Pages” area contains all of the plugin’s pages …
(Compliance Bar: Compliance Templates – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Below is the full list of legal templates made available by the Compliance Bar plugin last time we checked their site:
- About Us
- AdSense Disclaimer
- Affiliate Agreements
- Affiliate Disclosure Statement
- Amazon Affiliate Disclaimer
- Anti-Spam Policy
- Contact Us
- Copyright/DCMA Notice
- Double Dart Cookies
- Earnings Disclaimer
- External Links Policy
- FTC Statement
- Legal Disclaimer
- Linking Policy
- Medical Disclaimer
- Returns/Refund Policy
- Terms & Conditions
- Testimonial Disclosure
- XXX Disclosure
Creating compliance pages for your website is a simple process. Just select the checkboxes next to the pages you want to create and click the “Save” button at the bottom of the “Compliance Pages” section …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Legal Page Templates – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Your legal pages will then be created and added inside your “Pages” section.
Compliance Bar Icons
The plugin is installed with a built-in set of icons for referencing your legal pages …
The icons can be changed. You can purchase additional icons from the plugin developer, or create/upload your own to match the style of your site’s design …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Legal Template Icons – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Edit / Delete Legal Pages
You can easily edit and delete the compliance disclaimer templates in the “Compliance Pages” area, just like any typical page in WordPress …
(Compliance Bar: Edit Compliance Page Templates – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
- Customizing your legal templates is recommended, as the pages contain generic content.
- The plugin indicates if it detects existing similar pages on your site (e.g. legal pages created before installing the plugin).
You have many options to customize the Compliance Bar, including position, displaying links or icon images, background colors and images, icon size, specifying which pages to include an icon for in the Compliance Bar, whether or not to display the Compliance bar on your front page, which pages the Compliance Bar will display in, mobile settings, etc. …
(Compliance Bar Screen: Create Bar – Image source: plugin documentation)
- You can create more than one Compliance Bar to display different disclaimers on different pages, or to cover different uses in different sections of your site.
- The plugin lets you display the Compliance Bar on the main page of your site, even if you are using a specific theme framework (e.g. Genesis, Thesis or WooThemes), where the home page is specifically configured through the theme settings as a built-in template, and not as a “regular” WordPress page.
- Due to the smaller size of mobile device screens, you can only select up to a certain number of page icons to display if you turn Mobile Settings “on.”
Once you have configured your Compliance Bar settings, it will display links to your legal through a visually appealing icon bar on your site …
You have complete control over the location on your pages where you would like to display your compliance bar …
If you plan to publish content that may be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. content related to alcohol, tobacco, dating, etc.), you can display popups that require users to accept your site’s terms or disclaimers.
The “Create Pop Up” tab lets you fully customize your pop ups …
(Pop Ups Screen: Create Pop Up – Image source: plugin documentation)
You can create more than one Pop Up displaying on different pages, or to cover different uses in different areas of your site …
You can also specify a delay time to prevent a Pop Up from displaying as soon as visitors arrive, set cookie durations to prevent Pop Ups from appearing again within a specific time interval, and even record the IP addresses of visitors who accept your terms and disclaimers for future reference …
(Pop Ups Screen: IP Log Details – Image source: plugin documentation)
If you do business in the EU or display your content to visitors in the EU, you must be aware of EU Cookie law …
The plugin lets you customize the settings for compliance with EU Cookies requirements, including the wording of your notification message and link text in the “EU Cookies” area …
(EU Cookies Section: Manage Settings – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Compliance Bar has a non-intrusive way of notifying your visitors and covering you from non-compliance.
The “Page Templates” screen, lists all of your legal pages and shortcodes, and lets you edit their content …
The “General Settings” menu, gives you access to general information, such as promoting and sharing the plugin and receiving plugin updates …
Testimonials From Customers
Here are a couple of the testimonials and feedback that plugin customers have submitted regarding the Compliance Bar plugin:
“1000% Highly Recommend This” Anthony La Rocca – Founder (Hustle Marketing)
“Don’t Risk Your Online Business” Mike Thomas (The Mike From Maine Show)
Here are a few additional ways to use The Compliance Bar Plugin:
- Displaying compliance icons only on specific pages of your website.
- Reduce refund disputes by clearly spelling out refund terms before purchase.
- If your website contains content for adult readers, you can force visitors to click to confirm that they are of legal age to access your content.
Plugin Developers provide users with a dedicated plugin support team to assist you. Plugin users also have access to video training.
Additionally, your purchase is backed by a no-risk, thirty day, 200% refund guarantee. If your version of Compliance Bar does not work within 30 days of purchase and it cannot be fixed within 48 business hours (Monday to Friday), your cost of purchase will be refunded in double.
- Single Edition – Install the plugin on a single domain that you own. Cost = $47 (Normally $127)
- Business License – Can be installed on up to 25 sites that you own. Price = $67.00 (Normally $197).
- Developer License – Install the plugin on all as many of your own domains as you need. Install the plugin on all client sites for payment or as part of a paid service. Cost = $97.00.
Please Note: Current pricing for the product can vary, depending on whether there are any promotions or limited-time specials being offered. The above reflects the current pricing at the time this content was written. This may not be the actual price charged by the plugin author when you visit the website and you may be shown additional upsells or one-time offers after purchasing.
Check the plugin’s website for the current pricing here: Compliance Bar
Compliance Bar – Additional Info
Templates Reviewed By Lawyers – The plugin developers assert on their website that all legal page templates have already been reviewed and approved by lawyers. Nonetheless, we strongly recommend that you get legal advice from a qualified legal expert in your area for peace of mind.
For a demo video of the plugin in action, including help documentation and tutorials, FAQs, customer helpdesk, contact details and more, visit the Compliance Bar website.
Get This Plugin
Compliance Bar is an easy-to-use, simple and cost-effective solution for WordPress-driven sites. We recommend installing this WordPress plugin if you want immediate peace of mind and legal protection.
To learn more, visit the plugin website: Compliance Bar – Compliance Bar – WordPress Plugin For Website Compliance
Note: Once again, please note that we are not lawyers and we offer no legal advice on our website. Do your own due diligence and consult a legal expert about the best way of ensuring that your website fully complies with all legal requirements wherever your business is based.