If your website isn’t compliant with laws designed to protect consumer rights, you’re breaking the law.
Being non-compliant puts you at risk of suffering serious financial losses and the loss of your reputation. Why risk your money and reputation, when you can protect yourself so inexpensively?
In this article, we look at a simple and cost-effective WordPress solution that can help make your website legally compliant just minutes.
Is Your Website Or Blog Legally Compliant?
As the cybersphere continues growing at breakneck speed and the rules of the game keep changing, it’s vitally important that you stay on top of what’s going on and to make sure that your website or blog remains compliant with all laws and regulations, especially if your digital presence is a significant aspect of your business strategy.
You may also be inadvertently leaving yourself open and vulnerable to legal action.
At the very least, without making it very clear to your visitors that your site complies with legal requirements and regulatory guidelines, trust and confidence in your business could seriously diminish.
(In addition to legal and regulatory compliance, almost all 3rd-party websites require you to comply with their policies!)
Disclaimer: Please note that we are not lawyers and we offer no legal advice here.
The purpose of this article is to make you aware that:
- Your website could be subject to various legal requirements in accordance with mandatory laws and regulations that govern your business (some of which you may not even be aware of),
- The importance of being compliant with the terms of service of third-party providers whose products or services you are promoting or endorsing online, and
- There are plugin-based solutions for WordPress website owners that can help your site become compliant, such as the solution that we review in this post.
If you suspect that your web site falls short in terms of compliance, below we discuss a simple plugin for WordPress users that you will probably be interested in using.
Our WordPress Plugin Of The Month Is …
Compliance Bar – WordPress Compliance Plugin
Compliance Bar is a simple plugin for WordPress users with over 20 customizable compliance pages for your digital business …
To learn more about this plugin go here: Compliance Bar Plugin
Here we have listed just some of the benefits and advantages of using Compliance Bar to make your website instantly legally compliant:
Really Easy To Install
Compliance Bar Plugin installs like every WordPress plugin. Just upload it to your Plugins folder via your WP dashboard and activate.
Easily modify the prebuilt legal page templates inside Compliance Bar from the settings menu with the WYSIWYG content editor.
The plugin developers provide dedicated 24/7 plugin support to assist users if they experience any issues.
Some additional benefits include:
- Customized Legal Page Templates: Compliance Bar will create your legal pages in seconds and customizes them to your business and website.
- Complete Video Training: Compliance Bar is not complicated to use and an entire library of training videos is available.
- Can Be Used Anywhere In The World: As long as you consult someone who is qualified to give you legal advice to make sure that the built-in legal page templates provided in the plugin are suitable and satisfactory for your business, country and website, you can use the plugin anywhere in the world.
- Can Be Used On All WordPress Sites: If your site is driven by WordPress, you can use the plugin for all kinds of websites. Just select the templates you want to add to your site and leave out unnecessary pages.
Compliance Bar Plugin Features
Compliance Bar provides many unique features to site owners. Here are just a few:
- Quick and simple to install and configure. Ready to start using in minutes.
- Show Visually Appealing Icons – Display links to your compliance pages in the form of attractive icons that can be placed anywhere on your page. You can also upload icons of your choice.
- Display Restricted Information – If you plan to publish content that needs to be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. content related to alcohol, tobacco, adult content, etc.), Compliance Bar can display popups that force users to accept your site’s terms and disclaimers.
- EU User Cookie Compliance – If your business is based in Europe or display your content to EU visitors, you need to be aware of EU compliance laws. Compliance Bar displays an attractive bar that notifies visitors and protects you from non-compliance.
- Records And Stores IP Acceptance – Compliance Bar can record and store the IP address of your visitors for reference, just in case a visitor accepts your terms or disclaimers and then claims they haven’t.
- Shortcode Driven – The plugin uses shortcodes to automatically populate the templates with your personal information. These shortcodes also allow you to place information anywhere on your site, (even in the pop-ups).
- Compatible With All Mobile Devices – The plugin has settings for displaying on mobile devices and can display mobile optimized icons automatically based on visitor web browsers.
Using Compliance Bar
After installing and activating the plugin, a section where the plugin’s settings can be configured will be added to your WP admin area.
Let’s review these briefly …
There are a number of default categories in this area where your business information can be entered (e.g. “Business Name,” “Support Desk URL,” “Location Details,” “Market Niche,” etc.). Not all categories are required, but some are (e.g. “Business Name,” “Company Phone Number,” etc.)
(Compliance Bar User Profile Screen – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
The plugin uses shortcodes to insert the information you’ve inputted into your User Profile fields into your legal templates …
(Compliance Bar Plugin User Profile Page: Shortcodes – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Once the minimum required (i.e. compulsory) data has been entered into the user profile fields, users can then access the other areas of the plugin.
The “Compliance Pages” section includes a list of all of the plugin’s pages …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Legal Pages – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Below is the full list of templates made available by the Compliance Bar plugin last time we checked the website:
- About Us
- AdSense Disclaimer
- Affiliate Agreements
- Affiliate Disclosure Statement
- Amazon Affiliate Disclaimer
- Anti-Spam Policy
- Contact Us
- Copyright/DCMA Notice
- Double Dart Cookies
- Earnings Disclaimer
- External Links Policy
- FTC Statement
- Legal Disclaimer
- Linking Policy
- Medical Disclaimer
- Returns/Refund Policy
- Terms & Conditions
- Testimonial Disclosure
- Adult Content Disclosure
You can create legal pages for your website or blog quickly and easily simply by selecting check boxes and clicking ”Save” at the bottom of the “Create Pages” area …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Legal Pages – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Your legal pages will then be created and added under your “Pages” section.
Compliance Bar Icons
The plugin is installed with a built-in set of icons for referencing your legal pages …
The icons can be changed. You can purchase an additional set of icons from the plugin developer, or create/upload your own to match the style of your site’s design …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Legal Page Icons – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
Edit / Delete Legal Page Templates
You can modify and delete your legal page templates in the “Compliance Pages” section, just as you would any other page in WordPress …
(Compliance Bar: Edit Legal Pages – Image source: plugin documentation)
- Customizing your legal pages is recommended, as the pages contain generic content.
- The plugin indicates if it detects existing similar pages on your site (e.g. legal pages created before installing the plugin).
The plugin offers various options to customize the Compliance Bar, including where to position the bar, whether to show links or icon images, background colors and images, image size, selecting which pages to include an icon for in the Compliance Bar, whether or not to display the Compliance bar on your front page, which pages the Compliance Bar will display in, mobile settings, etc. …
(Compliance Bar Section: Create Bar – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
- You can create multiple Compliance Bars to show different icons on different pages, or to cover a range of uses in other sections of your site.
- The plugin allows you to display a Compliance Bar on the main page of your website, even if you are using particular premium themes (like Genesis, Thesis or Woo), where the home page is configured through the theme settings as a built-in template, and not as a normal “static” WordPress page.
- Due to the smaller size of mobile screens, you can only select up to a certain number of page icons to display if you turn Mobile Settings “on.”
Once you have specified your Compliance Bar settings, it displays links to your legal using a visually appealing icon bar on your site …
You have full control over the location on your pages where you would like the compliance bar to appear …
If your website publishes content that should be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. content related to alcohol, tobacco, dating, etc.), Compliance Bar can display popups that force users to accept your site’s terms and disclaimers.
The “Create Pop Up” tab gives you full control over the settings and customization of your pop ups …
(Pop Ups Section: Create Pop Up – Image source: plugin documentation)
You can create an unlimited number of customized Pop Ups for different pages, or to cover different uses throughout your website …
You can also specify a delay time to prevent Pop Ups from displaying as soon as visitors arrive, set a cookie duration to prevent Pop Ups from displaying again within a specific time interval, and record the IP addresses of visitors who accept your terms and disclaimers for future reference …
(Pop Ups Screen: IP Log Details – Image source: plugin documentation)
If you are based in Europe or display your content to visitors in the EU, you need to make users aware of your user cookies and notify them of how you use them …
The Compliance Bar plugin lets you edit the settings for compliance with EU User Cookies requirements, including the wording of your notification message and link text in the “EU Cookies” tab …
(EU Cookies Section: Manage Settings – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Compliance Bar has a non-intrusive way of notifying your visitors and covering you from non-compliance.
The “Page Templates” area, lists all of your legal templates and shortcodes, and lets you edit the page content …
The “General Settings” screen, lets you access general information, such as promoting and sharing the plugin and getting plugin updates …
Feedback From Plugin Users
Here are some of the testimonials and comments that customers have written about Compliance Bar:
”One of the most annoying parts about building out a site is to make sure it complies with the law. I always leave this part to the end because its painfully dry and boring and frankly I always just wished their was an easier way. Then I came across Compliance Bar and its literally the most versitile and brilliant plugin I have ever used. All my pages meet FTC requirements now and all I had to do was press a button! Anton and Jon..you guys friggen rock — 1000% highly recommend this!!” Anthony La Rocca – Founder (Hustle Marketing)
”I wanted to reach out & say Compliance Bar is a truly amazing product for keeping my online marketing efforts on the right side of the internet laws. Not only does it look fantastic on my sites, it is also intuitive and robustly powerful. It is packed full of features to allow me the flexibility to control exactly what my visitors need to see and know” Patrick Mauchant – PT Enviromate Technology
Compliance Bar Plugin Tips
Here are a few extra ways to use Compliance Bar:
- Display compliance icons on specific pages of your site only.
- Reduce refund disputes by clearly spelling out your refund terms before purchase.
- If you include content that is considered inappropriate for persons below a certain age on your website, you can force visitors to click to confirm that they are of legal age to view your content.
Compliance Bar Product Support
Compliance Bar provides users with a dedicated support team to assist users. Plugin users also have access to video training.
Additionally, your purchase is backed by a no-risk, thirty day, 200% refund guarantee. If your edition of Compliance Bar does not work within 30 days of purchase and it cannot be fixed within 48 hrs (Monday to Friday), the plugin developers will refund double the amount of the purchase price.
- Single License Edition – Install the plugin on a single domain. Cost = $47 (Normally $127)
- Business Licensing – Can be installed on up to twenty-five of your own sites. Cost = $67.00 (Normally $197).
- Developer License Edition – Install the plugin on all as many of your own sites as you need. Install the plugin on any client site as part of a paid service. Cost = $97.00.
Please Note: Pricing details of this product can vary, depending on whether there are any promotions or limited-time special offers. When we last checked, the product sells for the prices shown above. This may not be the actual pricing set by the product seller when you visit the product website and there may be additional upsells or one-time offers after you’ve purchased.
Check the plugin’s website for current pricing details: Compliance Bar
Legal Templates Reviewed By Lawyers – The plugin developers claim on their website that all legal templates have already been reviewed and approved by a lawyer. Nonetheless, we strongly recommend that you get advice from a qualified legal expert in your area to ensure that your site is fully compliant.
For a demo video of the plugin, including installation instructions and tutorials, FAQs, customer helpdesk, contact details and more, visit the Compliance Bar website.
Get This Plugin
Compliance Bar is an easy-to-use, simple and cost-effective solution for WordPress-driven websites and blogs. We recommend installing this WordPress plugin if you want immediate peace of mind and legal protection.
For more information, visit the plugin website here: Compliance Bar – Compliance Bar Plugin – WordPress Plugin For Website Compliance
Legal Disclaimer: Once again, please note that we are not lawyers and we are not offering legal advice here. Do your own due diligence and consult a legal expert about the best way of ensuring that your website fully complies with all legal requirements in your country or region.