Social interactions like Facebook comments, Twitter mentions and retweets, etc. are called social signals.
With the increase in importance of social sites like Facebook and Twitter, search engines now take into account various social signals to help determine website ranking.
Note: Google encourages businesses to build their social media presence as a long-term investment to drive qualified traffic, rather than aiming for short-term benefits like search ranking placement. Google’s own head of the web spam team Matt Cutts has stated that Google takes a cautious approach when it comes to social signals, as so many things change quickly on social media. Without a reliable ‘map,’ Google is understandably reticent to assign too much importance to social signals over other aspects of their search algorithm. In summary, Google’s strategy is a sensible one - “wait and see” how things develop over time, as sites that provide value normally develop longevity, trust and authority, and these are the websites that Google wants to ascribe higher search rankings to.
- Social Signals – Which Social Sites Matter?
- Social Signals – Which Ones Should You Pay Attention To?
- Social Metrics Pro – Social Media Analytics WordPress Plugin
Social Signals – Which Social Sites Matter?
Social sites that search engines like Google and Bing look to when measuring social signals include:
With over 1.5 billion active users, Facebook is the largest social media network in the world. Research shows that a single post can reach over 100,000 users, so even if no one is buying your products or services on Facebook, don’t be quick to dismiss the power of leveraging Facebook, as Google uses social data and information from Facebook when determining your search rankings. In fact, research indicates that Facebook seems to have the most influence on website rankings of all social media sites, like GooglePlus and Twitter.
(Number of monthly active Facebook users. Source: Statista.com)
After Facebook, Twitter is the next biggest social media site in the world, with over 500 million tweets sent out each day. Twitter plays a significant role as a global influencer online and places great emphasis on the authority of tweets posted to readers over the volume of tweets sent …
(Over half a billion tweets are sent every single day. Source: Internet Live Stats)
Google’s own social networking site naturally carries a significant degree of authority online, even if it has not reached the same level of growth and take up as Facebook and Twitter.
(More people are actively using GooglePlus each week. Source: Internet Live Stats)
In addition to the big three social sites listed above, there are a number of other social sites worth paying attention to, such as Pinterest, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon,Reddit, and Digg.
(A number of social sites provide important signals that could affect your search rankings)
Social Signals – Which Ones Should You Pay Attention To?
Search engines like Google and Bing track various social signals, including the following:
- Facebook – e.g. how many Facebook shares, comments, and likes you have, growth rate of likes and shares, etc.
- Twitter – e.g. how many tweets and retweets your site has, the authority of the person tweeting, trending topics, etc.
- Google+ – e.g. who is following you (influential users), how many people are following you, amount and authority of +1s, etc.
- Other sites – e.g. growth rate of Pins and re-Pins on Pinterest, comments on StumbleUpon, etc.
- Other signals – In addition to the above, there are other not so obvious factors that can influence search rankings and traffic. These include desirable and undesirable factors, such as age and authority of your social media account [positive], and whether your site is deemed to be of poor quality by site reviewers [negative].
As a business owner, it’s important to not only find ways to develop your social media presence, but also to be able to track, measure and analyze social signals in order to improve your business results.
(Using social media can improve your results online)
Tracking social media activity allows you to gain insights into what people are saying about your company, products, or brand on social media, spy on the competition, identify opportunities for engagement, measure the impact of campaigns, and avert crises. Additionally, monitoring social media can also provide you with vital information about emerging trends and what clients and consumers think about specific products, topics, businesses, or brands.
As a tool for business intelligence, social monitoring is invaluable. Using social media monitoring as a form of business intelligence, however, is a complex undertaking, often carried out by various people including market researchers, marketing teams, online reputation management (ORM) companies, professional sales reps, social marketing agencies, and social engagement and community staff. Typically, smaller businesses don’t have the budget to pay social media monitoring professionals to track their coverage in the media.
Fortunately many technology companies have developed tools and solutions that facilitate the active tracking of a wide spectrum of social media channels, enabling you to track consumer behavior around your brand or products allowing you to react to conversations and engage with online users in a timely manner.
We have written a detailed article where we explore over 30 social media measurement tools and technologies that are worth checking out and knowing about. For more details, go here:
(Do you know how to effectively monitor your social signals?)
In this article, we look at a simple, yet effective social media tracking plugin for WordPress and increasing your social media influence.
Social Metrics Pro – Social Media Analytics WordPress Plugin
Social Metrics Pro is an easy-to-use social media analytics WordPress plugin that is designed to make improving your social media presence online uncomplicated. It is built on a simple premise – Social Metrics Pro tracks how each signal is performing and returns either a green or red indicator. The site owner’s task is simple … turn red squares into greens.
(A standard operating procedure that any user can follow … turn reds into greens!)
Colors indicate relative popularity. This simplifies your social analytics. Posts with the highest number of shares are colored green. Posts with low social media activity display amber or red.
The plugin developers tested SocialMetricsPro on a network of 2,000+ websites over a period of three months. During this period, all they focused on was turning the “reds” to “greens” and then keeping their metrics on “green”. According to the plugin developers, they were able to notice a 360% improvement in traffic for their top 10 performing sites, 410% more keywords ranked in the first page of Google and they also experienced a 310% increase in revenues.
(According to the plugin developers, improving your social media marketing can significantly impact your search engine rankings, web traffic and revenue!)
Benefits Of Using SocialMetricsPro
Below are just a few of the benefits and advantages of using Social Metrics Pro to track Tweets, Likes, +1s, Pins and more from your WordPress Dashboard on your website:
SocialMetricsPro is really easy to install. Simply upload it to your Plugins folder via your WP administrator section and activate.
Really Simple To Use
As mentioned earlier, the user’s job is to turn red squares into greens. Social Metrics Pro tracks and measures social media signals so you know where to put more effort and which need to be better optimized.
Track Signals From Social Networks You Care About
SocialMetricsPro provides a powerful dashboard to track and monitor social media activity across leading networks like Facebook, GooglePlus, Twitter, StumbleUpon, Pinterest, Digg, and LinkedIn.
Social Metrics Pro helps you get answers to questions like:
- Which social networks work best for my site?
- Which social campaigns are performing the best on these social networks?
- Which are my most popular posts?
- And more …
With SocialMetricsPro, all of this information is available on-demand, with just one click.
(Social Metrics Pro actively tracks the sites that you care most about!)
Social Metrics Pro Features
Social Metrics Pro provides many features to website owners. Here are just a few:
- Quick and easy to install and use. Be up and running in very little time.
- Social Metrics Pro Is Widgets & Extensions Ready. You can extend its functionality using external and built-in widgets. Access updated information from your WordPress admin bar, display popular content on your sidebar or anywhere on your site using point-and-click widgets.
- One-click updates. Update Social Metrics Pro in one click via the WordPress Updates page, or update the manually manually. You can also choose to be notified via email whenever new versions are released.
- Plugin works the smallest hosting configuration. Social metrics reports are compiled in seconds, consuming very little hosting resources. Reports also display the amount of time it took to retrieve the information and the server resources consumed when gathering and compiling data.
Additional plugin features include:
- Sorting, Searching And Filtering Features: SocialMetricsPro lets you sort and filter the information however you like. You can perform keyword searches to study topic-related posts, and even filter the results by post type, category, post authors, or by publishing date.
- Export Data: You can export and plot data in Excel for further analysis. Data can be exported in tab-delimited and comma-separated file formats, and imported to the spreadsheet application of your choice.
(SocialMetricsPro is simple to use … just convert more reds into greens!)
Below are just some testimonials plugin users have published about the SocialMetricsPro plugin:
”Social Metrics is the easiest way to see at a glance which posts have performed well on social networks.” Kevin Muldoon, Founder of WPMods.com
”If you can’t measure it, you can’t improve.” Goes one of the most important sayings in business. And this is particularly true for tracking of your social mentions I found. There were two things that helped me a great deal to increase sharing after installing Social Metrics: First, I was able to see that some of my articles would perform much better on networks I wasn’t particularly using, such as StumbleUpon for example. Secondly, I could filter out the best performing content more easily and analyse what makes my readers share. Since then I have focused strongly on producing and replicating those posts that performed best.” Leo Widrich, Co-Founder of Buffer
Social Metrics Pro Plugin – Useful Tips
Social Metrics Pro includes a step-by-step guide containing useful advice on how to optimize your social media strategy (i.e. how to turn reds into greens).
Social Metrics Pro is well-supported, and users get lifetime software upgrades and new releases for free with their purchase, backed by a no-risk, sixty-day, complete money-back guarantee.
Social Metrics Pro plugin is available in two editions:
- Single Site License Edition – This allows you to use Social Metrics Pro on 1 web site only. Price includes free lifetime updates and support. Price = $27.00 (one-time).
- Unlimited Sites License – This allows you to activate SocialMetricsPro on all web sites that you own. Cost includes free lifetime upgrades and free support. Price = $47.00 (one-time).
Please Note: The price of the SocialMetricsPro plugin depends on whether there are any promotions or limited-time special offers. Currently, the plugin retails for the pricing shown above. This may not be the actual pricing set by the software author when you visit the website and you may be shown additional upsells or one-time offers after purchasing.
Check the plugin’s website for current pricing details:
Social Metrics Pro requires a self-hosted installation of WordPress and can be instantly downloaded after purchase.
The Bottom Line
As mentioned earlier, with the growth of social sites like Twitter and Facebook, search engines like Bing and Google now take into account a range of social signals when determining a site’s ranking.
No website owner can afford to ignore how important social media is to their online success. SocialMetricsPro solves the problem of how to find a simple, time-saving solution that gives WordPress users instant feedback on the success of their social marketing campaigns and shows them how and where to improve their results.
SocialMetricsPro is ideal for beginners and advanced users alike. It tracks Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more right from your WordPress dashboard.
We recommend Social Metrics Pro if you own or manage WordPress sites and want to shorten your social media marketing learning curve.
For complete details, visit the plugin website here: SocialMetricsPro – Social Media Analytics Plugin
Disclaimer: WordPress and its related trademarks are registered trademarks of Automattic, Inc. This site is not affiliated with nor sponsored by Automattic, Inc. or the WordPress Open Source project. This site and the products and services offered on this site are not affiliated, associated, sponsored, or endorsed by WordPress, nor have they been reviewed, certified, or tested by WordPress. The owner, contributors and/or advertisers may derive financial benefit from sales of items advertised, reviewed, or linked to this site.
Have you found this article useful? Feel free to share this article with anyone thinking of starting a business online using the social buttons below.