Social interactions and recommendations like Twitter retweets and mentions, Facebook likes, shares, and comments, etc. are called social signals.
Social signals impact search engine rankings and Google has been elevating the importance given to social signals as part of its ranking algorithm since late 2010.
Note: Google encourages businesses to build their brand on social media as a long-term investment to drive qualified traffic, instead of aiming for short-term benefits like search ranking placement. Matt Cutts, the head of Google’s web spam team has stated that Google takes a cautious approach when it comes to assessing social media signals, as social trends and relationships can change at a moment’s notice. Without a perfect ‘map,’ Google is understandably reticent to assign too much importance to the social sphere over other aspects of their search algorithm. In summary, Google’s strategy is a sensible one - “wait and see” how things develop over time, as websites that provide true value tend to develop longevity, trust and authority, and these are the websites that Google naturally wants to ascribe higher search rankings to.
- Social Signals – Which Social Sites Matter?
- Which Social Signals Should You Pay Attention To?
- SocialMetricsPro – Social Media Analytics Plugin For WordPress
Social Signals – Which Social Sites Matter?
Social sites that search engines like Google and Bing look to when measuring social signals include:
With more than 1.5 billion monthly active users, Facebook is the most dominant social media network in the world. Research shows that a single post on Facebook can reach over 100,000 users, so even if it seems like Facebook is not driving a massive amount of sales on your website, you should not be quick to dismiss Facebook as an important part of your business strategy, as Google processes data and information from Facebook when determining your search rankings. In fact, research indicates that Facebook seems influence search rankings more than other social media sites, like GooglePlus and Twitter.
(Number of active Facebook users. Source: Statista.com)
After Facebook, Twitter is the next largest social media site in the world, with over half a billion tweets sent out every single day. Twitter has a significant amount of influence on the cybersphere and places great importance on tweeting posts that provide value to readers over the number of tweets sent …
(Over 500 million tweets are sent every day. Source: Internet Live Stats)
Google’s own social media site naturally carries great authority online, even if it has not reached the same level of growth and take up as Facebook and Twitter.
(More people are starting to interact socially on Google+ each month. Source: Internet Live Stats)
In addition to the big three social sites listed above, there are a number of other sites worth getting to know, like Pinterest, LinkedIn, Reddit, Digg, and StumbleUpon.
(Social media sites provide important signals that can affect your search rankings)
Which Social Signals Should You Pay Attention To?
Search engines like Google and Bing track various social signals, including the following:
- Facebook – e.g. how many Facebook comments, shares, and likes you have, growth rate of shares and likes, etc.
- Twitter – e.g. tweets and retweets, how influential the person sending tweets is, trending topics, etc.
- GooglePlus – e.g. who is following you (influential users), how many followers on GooglePlus a web page has amassed, amount and authority of +1s, etc.
- Other sites – e.g. growth rate of Pins and re-Pins on Pinterest, comments on Reddit, etc.
- Not so obvious signals – In addition to the above, there are other not so obvious social media-related signals that can influence search engine traffic and rankings. These include positive and undesirable factors, such as backlinks from authority sites (not as relevant as they once were, but still a factor) [positive], and whether your site is deemed to be irrelevant by visitors [negative].
As a business owner, it’s important to not only find ways to develop your presence on major social networking websites, but also to be able to track and analyze your social signals in order to improve your business results.
(Use social media to improve your results online)
Monitoring social media activity allows you to gain insights into your company’s overall visibility on social media, assess competitor activity and market share, be alerted to crises, identify opportunities for engagement, and measure the impact of your marketing campaigns. Additionally, monitoring social media can also provide valuable data about emerging trends and what clients and consumers think about specific businesses, brands, products, or topics.
As a business intelligence tool, the ability to monitor social media is invaluable. Using social media monitoring as a form of business intelligence, however, is a complex undertaking, typically carried out by a cross-section of people including market research, marketing professionals, digital reputation management (ORM) companies, social engagement and community personnel, professional sales reps, and social media marketing agencies. Typically, smaller businesses don’t can’t afford to pay a social media monitoring service to continually track their coverage in the media.
Fortunately many service providers have made available tools to facilitate the monitoring of a wide range of social media channels, allowing you to track consumer behavior around your brand allowing you to respond to conversations and interact with online users in various social media platforms.
We have created a comprehensive article where we explore over 30 social media measurement tools and technologies that will help you keep track of online trends, monitor competitor activity, see what conversations are taking place online that could affect your business, etc, see what conversations are taking place online that could affect your business,etc. More info: WordPress Social Media Monitoring – Resources
(Do you know how to effectively monitor social signals?)
This article discusses a simple social media tracking tool for WordPress and improving your social media exposure.
SocialMetricsPro – Social Media Analytics Plugin For WordPress
SocialMetricsPro is an easy-to-use social media analytics plugin that is designed to help you improve your social media presence online in an uncomplicated way. It is built on a simple concept – Social Metrics Pro measures how each signal is performing and returns either a green or red indicator. The site owner’s job is simple … turn all red squares into greens.
(A system that anyone can operate … turn all the reds into greens!)
Colors indicate relative popularity. Posts that receive the most shares show up green. Posts with low social media activity show up amber or red.
The developers of SocialMetricsPro tested their plugin on a network of over two thousand sites over a period of three months. During this period, all they focused on was turning the “reds” to “greens” and then keeping everything “green”. According to the plugin developers, they were able to notice that their top 10 best performing sites saw an improvement of up to 360% more traffic, 410% more keywords ranked in the first page of Google and they also experienced a 310% increase in revenues.
(According to the plugin developers, focusing on improving your social media marketing can impact your search rankings, traffic and revenue!)
Learn more about the plugin here: SocialMetricsPro
Below are just some of the benefits of using Social Metrics Pro to track Tweets, Likes, +1s, Pins and more right from your WordPress Dashboard on your web site:
Easy, Quick And Simple To Install
SocialMetricsPro is really easy to install. Just upload the plugin file to your Plugin folder via your admin area and activate.
Very Simple To Use
As mentioned earlier, your job is to convert all the red squares into greens. The plugin tracks and measures social signals the way Google sees it so you know where to apply more effort and where to optimize.
Track Signals From Social Networks You Care About
Social Metrics Pro lets you track and monitor social media activity from social media networks like Twitter, Facebook, Google+, StumbleUpon, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and Digg.
Social Metrics Pro helps you get answers to questions like:
- Which social networks work best for my site?
- Which social campaigns are performing the best on these social networks?
- Which of my posts are the most popular on social media?
- And more …
With Social Metrics Pro, all this information can be accessed with a single click.
(Social Metrics Pro constantly tracks the social sites that you care most about!)
SocialMetricsPro offers many unique features to website owners. Below we have listed some:
- Quick and simple to install and use. Be up and running in very little time.
- Widgets And Extensions Ready. You can extend the plugin’s functionality with built-in and external widgets. View updated information from your WP dashboard, display popular content on your blog sidebar or anywhere on your site using point-and-click widgets.
- 1-click upgrades. Update the plugin in one click via the WordPress Updates screen, or update the manually manually. You can also opt to receive an email notification when new plugin updates are released.
- Low-resource consumption. Reporting is in seconds, using little hosting resources. Report generation also includes the amount of time used to retrieve the information and the server resources used to gather and compile data.
Additional plugin features include:
- Sorting, Searching & Filtering Features: Social Metrics Pro lets you sort, search and filter data as you like. You can perform keyword searches to study topic-related posts, and even filter the results by publishing date, post type, post authors, or category.
- Export Data: You can export filtered, sorted data and custom queries to Excel for further analysis. Data can be exported in tab-delimited and comma-separated file formats, and imported to Excel or the spreadsheet application of your choice.
(SocialMetricsPro is very simple to use … just turn all red squares into greens!)
Feedback From Users
Below are just some testimonials and feedback users have provided for the SocialMetricsPro plugin:
”Our entire marketing strategy relies on social media. Each post on the site has viral potential, but we needed one place to see which social networks are performing the best for us…We went ahead and got the PRO Version of Social Metrics.” Syed Balkhi, Founder of List25 and WPBeginner.com
”Social Metrics is one of the recipes for Social WordPress. You can integrate it quickly and easily on your WordPress site to view your performance on social networks” Jean-Francois Arseneault, Arseneault Consultation
Social Metrics Pro includes a step-by-step, practical guide on how to optimize your site for social media success (i.e. turn reds into greens).
Social Metrics Pro is well-supported, and comes with free support and free lifetime updates, backed by a no-risk, 60-day, 100% money-back guarantee.
SocialMetricsPro plugin is available in two editions:
- Single Site License – This license option enables you to configure Social Metrics Pro on one domain only. It includes free lifetime upgrades and free support. Cost = $27.00 (one-time).
- Unlimited Sites Licensing – This license allows you to activate Social Metrics Pro on multiple sites that you own. It includes free lifetime upgrades and free support. Cost = $47.00 (one-time).
Note: The cost to purchase the SocialMetricsPro product can vary, depending on whether there are any promotions or limited-time specials being offered. The above reflects the pricing when this review was written. This may or may not be the actual price set by the software seller when you visit the plugin website and there may be additional upsells or one-time offers after you’ve purchased.
Check the plugin’s website for current pricing details: SocialMetricsPro – Social Analytics Plugin For WordPress
Social Metrics Pro requires a self-hosted installation of WordPress and can be instantly downloaded after purchase.
As mentioned earlier, with the rise of social media sites like Twitter and Facebook, search engines like Bing and Google are now taking into account a range of social signals to help determine website ranking.
No website owner can afford to ignore the importance of social media. SocialMetricsPro solves the problem of how to find a simple, time-saving solution that gives you immediate feedback on the success of your social marketing strategy and shows you how and where to improve your results.
Social Metrics Pro is an ideal tool for beginners and advanced users alike. It tracks Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more directly from your WordPress dashboard.
We recommend getting SocialMetricsPro if you own or manage WordPress sites and want to save money on outsourcing your social media campaigns or train your staff to manage your campaigns inhouse.
To learn more, check out the plugin here: SocialMetricsPro – Social Analytics Plugin For WordPress
Additional WordPress Plugins And Themes:
Disclaimer: WordPress and its related trademarks are registered trademarks of Automattic, Inc. This site is not affiliated with nor sponsored by Automattic, Inc. or the WordPress Open Source project. This site and the products and services offered on this site are not affiliated, associated, sponsored, or endorsed by WordPress, nor have they been certified, tested, or reviewed by WordPress. The owner, contributors and/or advertisers may derive financial benefit from sales of items advertised, linked to, or reviewed on this site.
Did you enjoy this tutorial? If so, please use the social links below and share this page with anyone thinking of starting or growing a business online.