Social interactions and recommendations like Twitter mentions and retweets, Facebook likes, shares, and comments, etc. are called social signals.
With the rising importance of social sites like Facebook and Twitter, search engines have started taking into account social signals to help determine website ranking.
Note: Google encourages businesses to build their brand on social media as a long-term investment to drive qualified traffic, instead of aiming for short-term benefits like search ranking placement. Matt Cutts, the head of Google’s own web spam team has stated that Google takes a cautious approach when it comes to social media, as so many things change quickly on social media. Without a full ‘map,’ Google is understandably reticent to assign too much importance to social signals over other aspects of their search algorithm. In short, Google’s strategy is a sensible one - “wait and see” how things develop over time, as sites that provide real value develop longevity, trust and authority, and these are the websites that Google naturally wants to rank higher in its search engine results.
- Social Signals – Which Social Sites Matter?
- Which Social Signals Should You Be Paying Attention To?
- SocialMetricsPro – Social Analytics WordPress Plugin
Social Signals – Which Social Sites Matter?
Social media sites that search engines look to when measuring social signals include:
With more than 1.5 billion active users, Facebook is the most dominant social community in the world. Research shows that an average post on Facebook can reach up to 150,000 users, so even if it seems like Facebook is not driving droves of customers to your website, you should not be quick to dismiss Facebook as an important part of your business strategy, as Google uses data and information from Facebook to help determine your search rankings. In fact, Facebook seems to have the most influence on website rankings of all social media sites.
(Number of active Facebook users. Source: Statista.com)
After Facebook, Twitter is the second biggest social media site in the world, with over 500 million tweets sent out every single day. Twitter has a significant amount of influence on the cybersphere and places great importance on tweeting posts that provide value to readers over the volume of tweets sent …
(Over half a billion tweets are sent every day. Source: InternetLiveStats.com)
Google’s own social media site naturally carries great authority online, even if it has not reached the same level of growth and take up as Facebook and Twitter.
(More people are starting to interact socially on GooglePlus each year. Source: Internet Live Stats)
In addition to the big three social sites listed above, there are a number of other sites that should not be ignored, like Pinterest, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon,Reddit, and Digg.
(A number of social sites provide important signals that could affect your search rankings)
Which Social Signals Should You Be Paying Attention To?
Social signals tracked by search engines like Bing and Google include:
- Facebook – e.g. how many Facebook shares, comments, and likes a person has, growth rate of likes and shares, etc.
- Twitter – e.g. tweets and retweets, how influential the person tweeting is, trending topics, etc.
- GooglePlus – e.g. who is following you (influential users), how many people follow you, amount of adds and shares, etc.
- Other sites – e.g. number of Pins and re-Pins on Pinterest, upvotes on Digg, etc.
- Other signals – In addition to the above, there are other not so obvious signals that can influence search rankings and traffic. These include positive and undesirable factors, such as age and authority of your social media account [positive], and whether your site is deemed to be of poor quality by site reviewers [negative].
As a business owner, it’s important to not only develop your presence on major social networking websites, but also to be able to track and analyze your social performance in order to improve your business results.
(Using social media can improve your results online)
Social media monitoring allows you to gain insights into your company’s online visibility on social media, spot opportunities for engagement, measure the impact of campaigns, spy on your competitors, and help you take preventative measures against the spread of negative comments or feedback by online users. It can also provide you with vital information about emerging trends and what consumers and clients think about specific topics, businesses, products, or brands.
As a business intelligence tool, social monitoring is invaluable. Using social media monitoring as a form of business intelligence, however, is a complex undertaking, typically carried out by a cross-section of groups that include PR staff, marketing teams, market research, social engagement and community staff, social marketing agencies, and sales teams. Typically, small businesses don’t can’t afford to pay media monitoring professionals to continually track their coverage in the media.
Fortunately a number of technology providers have developed tools that facilitate the active tracking of a variety of social media channels, enabling you to track consumer behavior around your brand so you can respond proactively to conversations and engage with consumers in a timely manner.
To learn more about social media monitoring tools that will help you manage, measure, and analyze your social media marketing initiatives, see this article:
(Are you measuring social signals effectively?)
This article explores a simple, yet highly effective social media monitoring tool for WordPress and improving your social media exposure online.
SocialMetricsPro – Social Analytics WordPress Plugin
SocialMetricsPro is an easy-to-use social analytics WordPress plugin that is designed to make growing your social media influence online uncomplicated. It is built on a simple concept – the tool measures and tracks how each signal is performing and returns either a green or red indicator. Your goal is simple … change all the red squares into greens.
(Social Metrics Pro provides a standard operating procedure that anyone can follow … turn reds into greens!)
Colors indicate relative popularity. This simplifies your social analytics with Excel-like conditional color formatting. Posts that receive the most shares show up green. Posts with low social media activity display amber or red.
The developers of Social Metrics Pro tested their plugin on a network of over two thousand websites over a period of three months. During this period, all they focused on was turning the “reds” to “greens” and then keeping their metrics on “green”. From these tests, they were able to notice that their top 10 best performing sites saw an improvement of up to 360% more traffic, 410% more keywords ranked in the first page of Google and they also experienced a 310% increase in revenues.
(According to Social Metrics Pro developers, improving your social media marketing can can have a positive impact on your search rankings, web traffic and revenue!)
Benefits Of Using Social Metrics Pro
Here are just a few of the benefits of using Social Metrics Pro to track Tweets, Likes, +1s, Pins and more directly from your WP Dashboard on your website:
Quick And Easy To Install And Configure. Ready To Go To Work In No Time.
Social Metrics Pro is quite easy to install. Simply upload a zip file that contains the plugin files to your Plugin folder via your dashboard and activate.
Very Simple To Use
As mentioned earlier, the site owner’s objective is to change more red squares into greens. SocialMetricsPro tracks and measures social media signals so you know where to apply more effort and where to optimize.
Track Only Social Signals You Care About
SocialMetricsPro allows you to centrally track and monitor social activity across leading networks like Facebook, Twitter, GooglePlus, StumbleUpon, Digg, LinkedIn, and Pinterest.
Social Metrics Pro lets you easily answer questions like:
- Which social media networks work best for my site?
- Which posts are performing the best on these social networks?
- Which of my posts are the most popular?
- And more …
With SocialMetricsPro, all this information is available on-demand, with a single click.
(SocialMetricsPro actively monitors social signals from the social sites that you care most about!)
SocialMetricsPro offers many features to web site owners. Here are just some:
- Fast and simple to install and implement. Ready to start using in minutes.
- SocialMetricsPro Is Widgets And Extensions Ready. You can extend its functionality using external and built-in widgets. SocialMetricsPro displays the latest stats right on your WordPress admin bar, add socially popular content to your blog sidebar or anywhere on your site using widgets.
- One-click upgrades. You can update the plugin with a single click via the WordPress Updates screen, or update it manually. You can also opt to receive email notifications whenever new versions are released.
- Minimal hosting resources use. The plugin generates social metrics reports very quickly, consuming very little server resources. The tool also displays the amount of time used to retrieve information and the server resources consumed when gathering and compiling the data.
Additional plugin features include:
- Sorting, Searching & Filtering Features: Social Metrics Pro allows you to sort and filter the data as you like. You can perform keyword searches to study posts related to certain topics, and even filter the results by post type, publishing date, post authors, or by category.
- Export Data To Excel: You can export and plot filtered data and custom queries in Excel for further analysis. Data can be exported in tab-delimited and comma-separated file formats, and imported to Excel or the spreadsheet application of your choice.
(Social Metrics Pro is really simple to use … just convert more red squares into greens!)
Here are a few of the testimonials plugin users have published about the SocialMetricsPro plugin:
”As with any cool plugin, it solves a very simple problem – how to view how well your WordPress posts are being promoted.” Adam Small, Marketing Tech Blog
“Social Metrics Takes WordPress Stats to the Next Level.” Lorraine Ball, Creative Director, Roundpeg
SocialMetricsPro comes with a step-by-step guide containing useful advice on how to optimize your site for social media success (i.e. turn reds into greens).
SocialMetricsPro is well-supported, and comes with free lifetime updates and support, backed by a no-risk, 60-day, full money-back guarantee.
SocialMetricsPro plugin is available in two editions:
- Single Site Licensing – This edition lets you activate SocialMetricsPro on a single website. Cost includes free lifetime updates and free support. Price = $27.00 (one-time).
- Multiple Sites Licensing – This license enables you to use SocialMetricsPro on all domains that you own. Price includes free lifetime updates and free support. Price = $47.00 (one-time).
Please Note: The price of the Social Metrics Pro product can vary, depending on whether there are any promotions or limited-time specials being offered. The above reflects the current price when this review was published. This may not be the actual pricing set by the plugin developer when you visit the website and you may be shown additional upsells or one-time offers after purchasing.
Check the plugin’s website for the current pricing:
Additional Product Info
Social Metrics Pro requires a self-hosted installation of WordPress and can be instantly downloaded after purchase.
Install This Product
As mentioned earlier, Google has been elevating the importance given to social signals as part of its ranking algorithm.
No website owner can afford to ignore the importance of social media. SocialMetricsPro solves the problem of how to find a simple, time-saving solution that gives website owners instant feedback on the success of their social media marketing campaigns and guides them how and where to direct their efforts in order to improve their results.
Social Metrics Pro is ideal for beginners and advanced WordPress users alike. It tracks Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more right from your WordPress admin area.
We recommend this plugin if you own or manage WordPress sites and want to save money on outsourcing your social marketing campaigns.
For complete details, visit the plugin website: Social Metrics Pro – Social Media Analytics Plugin For WordPress
Disclaimer: We are not associated with WordPress, Automattic, or any WordPress-related products mentioned on this site. We may derive financial benefits or affiliate commissions from the purchase of products or services mentioned on this website. All images are the copyright of their respective owners and have been used solely for training and illustrative purposes.
Did you find this tutorial useful? If so, please consider sharing this post with other WordPress users using the share buttons below.