Social interactions and recommendations like +1s on GooglePlus, Facebook shares, etc. are called social signals.
With the growth of social media sites like Facebook and Twitter, search engines like Google and Bing have started taking into account social signals to help determine a website’s ranking.
Note: Google encourages website owners to build their brand on social media as a long-term investment to drive qualified traffic, instead of aiming for short-term benefits like search ranking placement. Matt Cutts, the head of Google’s own web spam team has stated that Google takes a cautious approach when it comes to social signals, as so many things change quickly on social media. Without a full ‘map,’ Google is understandably reticent to assign too much importance to social signals over other aspects of their search algorithm. In short, Google’s strategy is a sensible one - “wait and see” how things develop over time, as sites that provide value normally develop longevity, trust and authority, and these are the websites that Google naturally wants to rank higher in its search engine listings.
Social Signals – Which Social Media Sites Matter?
Social media sites that search engines like Google look to for measuring social signals include:
With almost 2 billion active users, Facebook is the most dominant social network on the planet. Research shows that a single post on Facebook can reach up to 150,000 users, so even if no one is buying your products or services on Facebook, don’t be quick to dismiss the power of leveraging Facebook, as Google uses social data and information from Facebook when determining your search rankings. In fact, research indicates that Facebook seems to have the most influence on search rankings of all social media sites.
(Number of monthly active Facebook users. Source: Statista.com)
After Facebook, Twitter is the next biggest social media site in the world, with over 600 million tweets sent out every day. Twitter has a significant amount of influence on the cybersphere and places great emphasis on the authority of tweets posted to readers over the volume of tweets sent …
(Over half a billion tweets are sent every single day. Source: Internet Live Stats)
Google’s own social media site naturally carries great authority online, even if it has not reached the same level of growth and take up as Twitter and Facebook.
(More people are interacting on GooglePlus every day. Source: Internet Live Stats)
In addition to the big 3 social sites listed above, there are a number of other social sites worth paying attention to, like Pinterest, LinkedIn, Reddit, StumbleUpon, and Digg.
(Social media sites provide important signals to search engines that can affect your rankings)
Which Social Signals Should You Pay Attention To?
Social signals tracked by search engines like Google and Bing include:
- Facebook – e.g. how many Facebook shares, likes, and comments a person has, growth rate of shares and likes, etc.
- Twitter – e.g. tweets and retweets, how influential the person sending tweets is, trending topics, etc.
- GooglePlus – e.g. who is following you (high profile users), how many people are following you, spread rate of adds and shares, etc.
- Other sites – e.g. growth rate of Pins and re-Pins on Pinterest, comments on Reddit, etc.
- Other signals – In addition to the above, there are other not so obvious factors that can influence search engine traffic and rankings. These include desirable and undesirable factors, such as age and authority of your social media account [positive], and whether your site is deemed to be irrelevant by visitors [negative].
As a website owner, it’s important to not only find ways to grow your social media presence, but also to be able to monitor, measure and analyze your social media in order to improve your business results.
(Use social media to help improve your business results)
Social media monitoring allows you to find insights into what people are saying about your brand, company, or products on social media, spy on the competition, identify opportunities for engagement, help you take preventative measures if you detect negative comments or feedback by dissatisfied customers, and measure the impact of campaigns. It can also provide vital data about emerging trends and what clients and consumers are thinking about specific businesses, products, topics, or brands.
As a business intelligence tool, social media monitoring is invaluable. Using social media monitoring as a form of business intelligence, however, is a complex undertaking, often carried out by various people including digital reputation management companies, marketing professionals, market researchers, social engagement and community staff, sales teams, and social media marketing agencies. Typically, small businesses do not can’t afford to pay social media monitoring professionals to continually track their coverage in the and actively monitor their online reputation.
Fortunately a number of technology providers have developed affordable tools and solutions that facilitate the monitoring of a variety of social media channels, allowing companies to identify and even predict what consumers are saying about their brands so they can react to conversations and engage with consumers in various social media platforms.
Go here if you would like to learn more about social media measurement tools that are worth checking out and knowing about:
(Can you monitor social signals effectively?)
In this article, we review a simple, yet effective social tracking tool for a WordPress-based digital business presence and increasing your social media presence.
SocialMetricsPro – Social Media Analytics For WordPress
Social Metrics Pro is an easy-to-use social analytics plugin for WordPress that is designed to help users increase their social media exposure in an uncomplicated way. It is built on a simple premise – Social Metrics Pro tracks how each signal is performing and displays either a green or red indicator. The user’s job is simple … change all red squares into greens.
(A standard operating procedure that any website owner can follow … just turn reds into greens!)
Colors indicate relative popularity. This simplifies your social analytics. Posts with highest number of shares show up green. Posts with low social media activity show up amber and red.
The plugin developers tested Social Metrics Pro on a network of over two thousand sites over a period of three months. During this period, all they focused on was turning the “reds” to “greens” and then keeping their metrics on “green”. From these tests, they were able to notice that their top 10 best performing sites saw an improvement of up to 360% more traffic, 410% more keywords ranked in the first page of Google and their revenue increased by 310%.
(According to the plugin developers, improving your social marketing can dramatically can have a positive effect on your search rankings, traffic and revenue!)
Here we have listed just a few of the benefits of using Social Metrics Pro to track Likes, Tweets, Pins, +1s and more right from your WordPress Dashboard on your web site:
Quick And Easy To Install And Use. Be Up And Running In Very Little Time.
Social Metrics Pro installs just like every other WP plugin. Just upload a zip folder containing the plugin to your Plugins folder via your dashboard and activate.
Very Simple To Use
As mentioned earlier, the user’s job is to turn all reds into greens. The plugin tracks and measures social signals the way Google sees it so you know where to put more effort and which social marketing campaigns need to be better optimized.
Select Only Signals You Care About
SocialMetricsPro lets you monitor social activity across leading social media networks like Google+, Twitter, Facebook, Digg, Pinterest, StumbleUpon, and LinkedIn directly from your WP admin area.
Social Metrics Pro helps you get answers to questions like:
- Which social media networks work best for my site?
- Which social campaigns are performing the best on these social networks?
- Which of my posts are the most popular on social media?
- And more …
With Social Metrics Pro, all of this information is available on-demand, with just one click.
(SocialMetricsPro actively monitors the sites that you care most about!)
Social Metrics Pro offers a number of great features to site owners. Below we have listed some:
- Fast and easy to install and implement. Be up and running in minutes.
- Widgets & Extensions Ready. You can extend the plugin’s functionality with external and built-in widgets. Access updated stats right on your WordPress dashboard, display popular content on your sidebar or anywhere in your site using point-and-click widgets.
- One-click updates. You can update Social Metrics Pro with a single click via the WordPress Updates screen, or update it manually. You can also choose to receive email notifications when a new version is released.
- Plugin works the smallest hosting configuration. Reports are generated fast, using minimal hosting resources. The tool also displays the amount of time spent retrieving information and the server resources used to compile data.
Additional plugin features include:
- Sorting, Searching & Filtering Features: SocialMetricsPro allows you to sort, search and filter your data however you like. You can perform keyword searches to study posts related to certain topics, and even filter the results by category, publishing date, post type, or post authors.
- Export Data: You can export data to Excel for further analysis. Data can be exported in tab-delimited and comma-separated file formats, and imported to Excel or the spreadsheet application of your choice.
(SocialMetricsPro is very simple to use … just convert all reds into greens!)
Below are a couple of the testimonials that plugin users have published about SocialMetricsPro:
”As with any cool plugin, it solves a very simple problem – how to view how well your WordPress posts are being promoted.” Adam Small, Marketing Tech Blog
“Social Metrics Takes WordPress Stats to the Next Level.” Lorraine Ball, Creative Director, Roundpeg
SocialMetricsPro comes with a practical, step-by-step guide containing useful advice on how to optimize your social media strategy (i.e. turn reds into greens).
Social Metrics Pro Plugin Support
SocialMetricsPro is well-supported, and users get lifetime software upgrades and new releases for free with their purchase, backed by a no-risk, sixty-day, full money-back guarantee.
SocialMetricsPro plugin is available in two editions:
- Single Site Licensing – This enables you to install SocialMetricsPro on 1 web site only. Pricing includes free lifetime upgrades and support. Cost = $27.00 (one-time).
- Unlimited Sites License Edition – This lets you install Social Metrics Pro on multiple web sites that you own. It includes free lifetime updates and free support. Price = $47.00 (one-time).
Note: Price details for Social Metrics Pro depends on whether there are any promotions or limited-time special offers. Currently, the software is selling for the pricing shown above. This may or may not be the actual price charged by the product author when you visit the product website and there may be additional upsells or one-time offers after purchasing.
Check the plugin’s website for current pricing details:
Additional Product Information
Social Metrics Pro requires a self-hosted installation of WordPress and can be instantly downloaded after purchase.
As mentioned earlier, social signals impact search engine rankings and Google has been elevating the importance given to social signals as part of its ranking algorithm.
No website owner can afford to ignore how important social media is to their online success. SocialMetricsPro solves the problem of how to find a simple, time-saving solution that gives you immediate feedback on the success of your social marketing campaigns and guides you where to improve your results.
SocialMetricsPro is ideal for beginners and advanced WordPress users alike. It tracks Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more directly from your WP dashboard.
We recommend this plugin if you own or manage WordPress sites and would like to make social media marketing measurable.
For more information, check out the plugin here: SocialMetricsPro – Social Media Analytics For WordPress