Social recommendations like Facebook shares, likes, and comments, Twitter retweets and mentions, etc. are called social signals.
With the rise of social media sites like Facebook and Twitter, search engines now take into account social signals when determining website ranking.
Note: Google encourages website owners to build their social media presence as a long-term investment to drive qualified traffic, rather than aiming for short-term benefits like search ranking placement. Matt Cutts, the head of Google’s web spam team has stated that Google takes a cautious approach when it comes to social signals, as social trends and relationships can change at a moment’s notice. Without a reliable ‘map,’ Google is understandably reticent to assign too much importance to the social sphere over other aspects of their search algorithm. In short, Google’s strategy is to “wait and see” how things develop over time, as sites that provide true value normally develop longevity, trust and authority, and these are the sites that Google naturally wants to rank higher in its search results.
Social Signal Sources
Social media sites that search engines look to for measuring social signals include:
With almost 2 billion monthly active users, Facebook is the most influential social media community on the planet. Research shows that an average post can reach over 100,000 users, so even if no one seems to be buying your products or services on Facebook, you should not be quick to dismiss the importance of Facebook in your online business strategy, as Google uses social data and information from Facebook to help determine your search rankings. In fact, Facebook seems influence search rankings more than other social media sites.
(Number of active Facebook users. Source: Statista.com)
After Facebook, Twitter is the next largest social media site in the world, with over 600 million tweets sent out every day. Twitter has a significant amount of influence on the cybersphere and places great emphasis on tweeting posts that provide value to followers over the number of tweets sent …
(Over 500 million tweets are sent each day. Source: InternetLiveStats.com)
As Google’s own social networking site, GooglePlus naturally carries a significant degree of authority online, even if it has not reached the same level of growth and take up as Facebook and Twitter.
(More people are actively using GooglePlus each year. Source: Internet Live Stats)
In addition to the big 3 social sites listed above, there are a number of other social media networks that should not be ignored, like Pinterest, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon,Reddit, and Digg.
(A number of social media sites provide important signals that can affect your search rankings)
Social Signals – Which Ones Should You Pay Attention To?
Search engines like Google and Bing track various social signals, including the following:
- Facebook – e.g. how many Facebook likes, shares, and comments you have, growth rate of shares and likes, etc.
- Twitter – e.g. how many tweets and retweets a URL has, the number of people sharing your URL, trending topics, etc.
- Google+ – e.g. who is following you (influential users), how many people follow you, number of adds and shares, etc.
- Other sites – e.g. number of Pins and re-Pins on Pinterest, comments on StumbleUpon, etc.
- Other signals – In addition to the above, there are other not so obvious factors that can influence search traffic. These include positive and undesirable factors, such as links from authority sites (backlinks) (not as influential as they once were, but still a factor) [positive], and whether your site is deemed to be of low quality by other users [negative].
As a website owner, it’s important to not only find ways to develop your presence on major social networking websites, but also to be able to monitor, measure and analyze your social media in order to improve your business results.
(Using social media can improve your results online)
Tracking social media activity allows you to find insights into what people are saying about your brand, services, or company on social media, spy on your competitors, take preventative measures if you detect negative comments or feedback by online users, measure the impact of campaigns, and identify potential market opportunities. It can also provide valuable information about emerging trends and what clients and consumers think about specific topics, businesses, brands, or products.
As a business intelligence tool, social signal monitoring is invaluable. Using social media monitoring as a form of business intelligence, however, is a complex undertaking, often carried out by various people including market researchers, online reputation management companies, marketing teams, social engagement and community personnel, sales teams, and social marketing agencies. Typically, smaller businesses don’t can’t afford to pay media monitoring professionals to track their coverage in the and actively monitor their digital reputation.
Fortunately many providers have made available tools and solutions to facilitate the active monitoring of a wide spectrum of social media channels, allowing companies to track consumer behavior around their products or brands so they can respond to conversations and engage with consumers in various social media platforms.
We have written a comprehensive article listing many social media measurement tools that are worth checking out and knowing about. For more details, go here:
(Are you looking for an effective way to measure social signals?)
This article discusses a simple, yet highly effective plugin for WordPress-driven websites for tracking social media signals and increasing your social media exposure online.
SocialMetricsPro – Social Analytics Plugin For WordPress
Description Of Plugin
SocialMetricsPro is an easy-to-use social analytics plugin that is designed to help users grow their social media influence online in an uncomplicated way. It is built on a simple premise – Social Metrics Pro measures and tracks how each signal is performing and returns either a green or red indicator. The user’s job is to change red squares into greens.
(SocialMetricsPro provides a standard operating procedure that anyone can operate … just turn reds into greens!)
Colors indicate relative popularity. Posts with the highest number of shares display green. Posts with low social media activity display amber and red.
The plugin developers tested Social Metrics Pro on a network of 2,000+ sites over a period of 3 months. During this period, all they focused on was turning the “reds” to “greens” and then keeping their metrics on “green”. According to the plugin developers, they noticed that their top 10 best performing sites saw an improvement of up to 360% more traffic, 410% more keywords ranked in the first page of Google and their revenue increased by 310%.
(According to the plugin developers, improving your social marketing can affect your search engine rankings, web traffic and revenue!)
For more details, visit the plugin site here:
Benefits Of Using Social Metrics Pro
Below are just some of the benefits and advantages of using SocialMetricsPro to track Likes, Tweets, Pins, +1s and more directly from your WP Dashboard on your web site:
SocialMetricsPro installs just like any plugin. Simply upload the plugin file to your Plugins folder via your WP dashboard and activate.
Very Simple To Use
As mentioned earlier, the user’s goal is to change red squares into greens. SocialMetricsPro tracks and measures social media signals the way Google sees it so you know which campaigns need you to invest more effort and where to optimize.
Track Social Signals You Care About
SocialMetricsPro provides a powerful dashboard to centrally monitor social media activity across leading networks like Facebook, GooglePlus, Twitter, Pinterest, Digg, LinkedIn, and StumbleUpon.
SocialMetricsPro lets you easily answer questions like:
- Which social networks work best for my site?
- Which posts are performing the best on these social networks?
- Which of my posts are the most popular on social media?
- And more …
With SocialMetricsPro, all of this information can be accessed with a single click.
(SocialMetricsPro actively tracks the social media sites that you care most about!)
SocialMetricsPro offers site owners with many features. Here are just some of these:
- Quick and easy to install and implement. Be up and running in very little time.
- Widgets And Extensions Ready. You can extend its functionality with external and built-in widgets. View the latest information from your WordPress admin bar, add social content to your sidebar or anywhere on your site using widgets.
- One-click updates. Update SocialMetricsPro in a single click via the WordPress Updates page, or update it manually. You can also opt to receive email notifications whenever a new version is released.
- Low-resource consumption. Social metrics reports are compiled fast, using very little server resources. The tool also displays the amount of time it took to retrieve information and the server memory consumed when gathering data.
Additional plugin features include:
- Sorting, Searching And Filtering Features: SocialMetricsPro lets you sort and filter your data however you like. You can perform keyword searches to study posts related to certain topics, and even filter the results by publishing date, category, post authors, or by post type.
- Export Data: You can export data to Excel for further analysis. Data can be exported in tab-delimited and comma-separated file formats, and imported to the spreadsheet application of your choice.
(SocialMetricsPro is simple to use … just convert all red squares into greens!)
Feedback From Users
Below are just a few of the testimonials that plugin users have written about the SocialMetricsPro plugin:
”Our entire marketing strategy relies on social media. Each post on the site has viral potential, but we needed one place to see which social networks are performing the best for us…We went ahead and got the PRO Version of Social Metrics.” Syed Balkhi, Founder of List25 and WPBeginner.com
”I give Social Metrics a big thumbs up and I recommend it to anyone who’s serious about tracking their social sharing analytics.” James Johnson, Senior Editor at The Inquisitr
Social Metrics Pro – Useful Tips
A practical, step-by-step guide showing you how to optimize your social media strategy (i.e. turn reds into greens) is also included.
Social Metrics Pro is well-supported, and comes with free support and free lifetime updates, backed by a risk-free, sixty-day, full refund guarantee.
SocialMetricsPro plugin is available in two editions:
- Single Site License Edition – This license allows you to activate Social Metrics Pro on a single website. Includes free lifetime updates and support. Price = $27.00 (one-time).
- Multi-Site Licensing – This edition allows you to activate SocialMetricsPro on unlimited websites that you own. It includes free lifetime upgrades and support. Price = $47.00 (one-time).
Note: Price details for the SocialMetricsPro product depends on whether there are any promotions or limited-time special offers. The pricing shown above was correct at the time this content was published. This may not be the actual price set by the plugin author when you visit the plugin site and you may be shown additional upsells or one-time offers after your purchase.
Check the plugin’s website for current pricing details:
Social Metrics Pro requires a self-hosted installation of WordPress and can be instantly downloaded after purchase.
As mentioned earlier, with the growth of social media sites like Twitter and Facebook, search engines like Google and Bing now take into account various social signals when determining website ranking.
No website owner can afford to ignore how important social media is to their online success. Social Metrics Pro solves the problem of how to find a simple, time-saving solution that gives users instant feedback on the success of their social marketing strategy and shows them how to improve their results.
Social Metrics Pro is ideal for beginners and advanced users alike. It tracks Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more right from your WordPress admin area.
We recommend getting this plugin if you own or manage WordPress sites and want to use social signals to get better search engine rankings.
For full details, check out the plugin here: SocialMetricsPro – Social Analytics Plugin For WordPress