Social interactions and recommendations like +1s on GooglePlus, Facebook likes, shares, and comments, etc. are called social signals.
With the rise of social media sites like Twitter and Facebook, search engines like Google and Bing have started taking into account a range of social signals to help determine a site’s ranking.
Note: Google encourages businesses to build their social presence as a long-term investment to drive qualified traffic, rather than aiming for short-term benefits like search ranking placement. Matt Cutts, the head of Google’s web spam team has stated that Google takes a cautious approach when it comes to social media, as social trends and relationships can change at a moment’s notice. Without a perfect ‘map,’ Google is understandably reticent to assign more importance to the social sphere over other aspects of their search algorithm. In short, Google’s strategy is to “wait and see” how things develop over time, as sites that provide true value normally develop longevity, trust and authority, and these are the sites that Google wants to rank higher in its search engine listings.
Table of Contents
- Social Signals – Which Social Media Sites Matter?
- Social Signals – Which Ones Should You Be Paying Attention To?
- SocialMetricsPro – Social Media Analytics WordPress Plugin
Social Signals – Which Social Media Sites Matter?
Social sites that search engines like Google and Bing look to when measuring social signals include:
With more than 1.5 billion active users, Facebook is the largest social network on the planet. Research shows that an average post on Facebook can reach over 100,000 users, so even if it seems like Facebook is not driving droves of customers to your site, don’t be quick to dismiss the importance of Facebook in your online business strategy, as Google uses social data and information from Facebook when determining your search rankings. In fact, Facebook seems to have the most influence on search rankings of all social media sites.
(Number of monthly active Facebook users. Source: Statista.com)
After Facebook, Twitter is the second biggest social media site in the world, with over 500 million tweets sent out every day. Twitter has a significant amount of influence on the cybersphere and places great importance on the authority of tweets posted to readers over the volume of tweets sent …
(Over half a billion tweets are sent every day. Source: Internet Live Stats)
As Google’s own social media site, GooglePlus naturally carries a significant degree of authority online, even if it is still a fledgling online community compared to sites like Facebook and Twitter.
(More people are actively using Google+ each month. Source: InternetLiveStats.com)
In addition to the big 3 listed above, there are a number of other social media networks worth paying attention to, such as Pinterest, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon,Reddit, and Digg.
(Social media sites provide important signals to search engines that could affect your rankings)
Social Signals – Which Ones Should You Be Paying Attention To?
Search engines track a number of social signals, including:
- Facebook – e.g. how many Facebook shares, comments, and likes a person has, growth rate of shares and likes, etc.
- Twitter – e.g. tweets and retweets, the number of people sharing the URL, trending topics, etc.
- GooglePlus – e.g. who is following you (influential users), how many people are following you, amount and authority of +1s, etc.
- Other sites – e.g. number of Pins and re-Pins on Pinterest, comments on StumbleUpon, etc.
- Not so obvious signals – In addition to the above, there are other not so obvious social media-related signals that can influence search traffic. These include positive and undesirable factors, such as backlinks from authority sites (not as relevant as they once were, but still a factor) [positive], and whether your site is deemed to be irrelevant by site reviewers [negative].
As a website owner, it’s not only important to find ways to grow your social media presence, but also to be able to monitor, measure and analyze your social media campaigns in order to improve your business results.
(Using social media can improve your business results)
Monitoring social media activity allows you to find insights into your company’s overall visibility on social media, spy on the competition, spot market opportunities, be alerted to crises, and measure the impact of campaigns. Additionally, social media monitoring can also provide vital data about emerging trends and what consumers and clients are thinking about specific products, topics, brands, or businesses.
As a tool for business intelligence, being able to monitor social activity on social media channels like blogging, forums, social networking platforms, micro-blogging platforms, discussion boards, video/photo sharing websites, and user-generated content (UGC) is invaluable. Using social media monitoring as a form of business intelligence, however, is a complex undertaking, often carried out by a cross-section of groups that include market research, online reputation management (ORM) companies, marketing professionals, professional sales reps, social engagement and community staff, and social marketing agencies. Typically, small businesses do not have the budget to pay media monitoring professionals to track their coverage in the media.
Fortunately different service providers have made available affordable tools and solutions that facilitate the monitoring of a wide range of social media channels, enabling you to track consumer behavior around your products or brand allowing you to react to conversations and interact with consumers in a timely fashion.
We have written a detailed article on social media tracking tools that are worth knowing about. Go here to learn more:
(Can you track social signals effectively?)
This article explores a simple WordPress plugin for monitoring social signals and increasing your social media exposure.
SocialMetricsPro – Social Media Analytics WordPress Plugin
Description Of Plugin
SocialMetricsPro is an easy-to-install social media analytics plugin for WordPress that is designed to help you increase your social media presence in an uncomplicated way. It is built on a simple concept – the plugin measures and tracks how each signal is performing and displays either a green or red indicator. The site owner’s job is to convert more red squares into greens.
(SocialMetricsPro provides a system that any user can follow … turn reds into greens!)
Colors indicate relative popularity. Posts that get shared the most are colored green. Posts with low social media activity are colored amber or red.
The developers of Social Metrics Pro tested their plugin on a network of over two thousand sites over a period of three months. During this period, all they focused on was turning the “reds” to “greens” and then keeping everything “green”. From these tests, they were able to notice a 360% improvement in traffic for their top 10 performing sites, 410% more keywords ranked in the first page of Google and their revenue increased by 310%.
(According to SocialMetricsPro developers, improving your social marketing campaigns can positively affect your search rankings, traffic and revenue!)
To learn more about the plugin go here:
Benefits Of Using Social Metrics Pro
Here are just a few of the benefits of using SocialMetricsPro to track Likes, Tweets, Pins, +1s and more directly from your WP Dashboard on your site:
Easy And Quick To Install
Social Metrics Pro is really easy to install. Simply upload it to your Plugins folder via your WordPress dashboard and activate.
Simple To Use
As mentioned earlier, the user’s task is to turn reds into greens. SocialMetricsPro tracks and measures social signals the way Google sees it so you know which social campaigns require more effort and which need to be better optimized.
Track The Social Signals You Care About
Social Metrics Pro lets you track and monitor social activity from networks like Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon, and Digg directly from your WP dashboard.
SocialMetricsPro helps you get answers to questions like:
- Which social networks work best for my site?
- Which posts are performing the best on these social networks?
- Which are my most popular posts?
- And more …
With Social Metrics Pro, all this information can be accessed with a single click.
(SocialMetricsPro constantly monitors social signals from the social media sites that you care most about!)
Social Metrics Pro provides many unique features to WP users. Here are just some:
- Fast and easy to install and use. Be up and running in no time.
- Social Metrics Pro Is Widgets & Extensions Ready. You can extend the plugin’s functionality using built-in and external widgets. Social Metrics Pro shows updated information from your WP dashboard, display popular content on your sidebar or anywhere in your site using widgets.
- 1-click updating. You can update Social Metrics Pro with a single click via the WordPress Updates screen, or update the manually manually. You can also opt to receive email notifications whenever new versions are released.
- Minimal hosting resources usage. The plugin generates social metrics reports in seconds, consuming very little hosting resources. Report generation also includes the amount of time it took to retrieve the information and the server memory consumed when gathering the data.
Additional plugin features include:
- Sorting, Searching & Filtering Features: Social Metrics Pro allows you to sort, search and filter the information as you like. You can perform keyword searches to study posts related to certain topics, and even filter the results by post authors, post type, publishing date, or category.
- Export Data To Excel: You can export filtered data and custom queries to Excel for further analysis. Data can be exported in tab-delimited and comma-separated file formats, and imported to Excel or the spreadsheet application of your choice.
(SocialMetricsPro is very simple to use … just change reds into greens!)
Feedback From Users
Below are just a few of the testimonials and feedback that users have published about the SocialMetricsPro plugin:
“Social Metrics Pro is the essential plugin we use to monitor how our content performs on social networks such as Twitter and Facebook. It’s simple, neat and works precisely as you would expect it. When we work with our clients such as T-Mobile, the .Me domain name registry and others, Social Metrics Pro is the plugin we use to create reports as well as keep track on each bit of content to optimize it for future performance.” Ivan Brezak Brkan, Editor of Netokracija.com, TechCrunch EU Contributor
”I give Social Metrics a big thumbs up and I recommend it to anyone who’s serious about tracking their social sharing analytics.” James Johnson, Senior Editor at The Inquisitr
A step-by-step, practical guide showing you how to optimize your social media strategy (i.e. how to turn reds into greens) is also included.
SocialMetricsPro Plugin Support
Social Metrics Pro is well-supported, and users get lifetime updates and new releases for free with their purchase, backed by a risk-free, sixty-day, 100% money-back guarantee.
Social Metrics Pro plugin is available in two editions:
- Single Site Licensing – This edition allows you to run Social Metrics Pro on one website only. Includes free lifetime updates and support. Price = $27.00 (one-time).
- Unlimited Sites License – This lets you activate Social Metrics Pro on all sites that you own. Cost includes free lifetime updates and support. Cost = $47.00 (one-time).
Note: The cost to purchase the Social Metrics Pro software depends on whether there are any promotions or limited-time specials being offered. When we last checked, the software is selling for the prices shown above. This may not be the actual pricing set by the product author when you visit the product site and there may be additional upsells or one-time offers after purchasing.
Check the plugin’s website for current pricing details:
Additional Product Information
Social Metrics Pro requires a self-hosted installation of WordPress and can be instantly downloaded after purchase.
Get The Product
As mentioned earlier, with the rising importance of social sites like Twitter and Facebook, search engines like Google and Bing now take into account social signals to help determine a website’s ranking.
No website owner can afford to ignore the importance of social media. Social Metrics Pro solves the problem of how to find a simple, time-saving solution that gives WordPress users instant feedback on the success of their social media marketing campaigns and guides them where and how to direct their efforts in order to improve their results.
SocialMetricsPro is ideal for beginners and advanced users alike. It tracks Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more directly from your WP dashboard.
We recommend getting this plugin if you own or manage WordPress sites and want to make social media marketing measurable.
For more information, check out the plugin here: Social Metrics Pro – Social Analytics Plugin
Recommended Video Courses For WordPress Users
This video course will help you learn the basics of using Google Tools like Google Analytics and Gmail.
More info: Google Tools
Recommended Video Courses For WordPress Users
Need a new website or blog in a hurry?
This video course shows you how to quickly install and configure a WordPress website or blog on your own domain name and be up and running in no time!
More info: Build A WordPress Site ... Fast!
Recommended Video Courses For WordPress Users
This video course shows you how to do keyword research using tools like the Google Keyword Planner.
More info: Keyword Research Tools