Social interactions and recommendations like +1s on Google+, Facebook comments, likes, and shares, etc. are called social signals.
With the growth of social sites like Facebook and Twitter, search engines like Google and Bing now take into account a range of social signals to help determine website ranking.
Note: Google encourages website owners to build their brand on social media as a long-term investment to drive qualified traffic, rather than aiming for short-term benefits like search ranking placement. Matt Cutts, the head of Google’s own web spam team has stated that Google takes a cautious approach when it comes to assessing social media signals, as so many things change quickly on social media. Without a full ‘map,’ Google is understandably reticent to assign more importance to social signals over other aspects of their search algorithm. In summary, Google’s strategy is to “wait and see” how things develop over time, as sites that provide real value normally develop longevity, trust and authority, and these are the sites that Google naturally wants to ascribe higher search rankings to.
- Social Signal Sources
- Social Signals – Which Ones Should You Be Paying Attention To?
- SocialMetricsPro – Social Media Analytics Plugin For WordPress
Social Signal Sources
Social sites that search engines like Google look to when measuring social signals include:
With almost 2 billion monthly active users, Facebook is the largest social network in the world. It has been estimated that a single post on Facebook can reach up to 150,000 users, so even if no one is buying your products or services on Facebook, you should not be quick to dismiss Facebook as an important part of your business strategy, as Google processes data and information from Facebook to help determine your search rankings. In fact, Facebook seems influence search rankings more than other social media sites, like Google+ or Twitter.
(Number of monthly active Facebook users. Source: Statista.com)
After Facebook, Twitter is the second largest social media site in the world, with over half a billion tweets sent out each day. Twitter plays a significant role as a global influencer on the cybersphere and places great emphasis on tweeting posts that provide value to followers over the number of tweets sent …
(Over 500 million tweets are sent each day. Source: Internet Live Stats)
As Google’s own social media site, Google+ naturally carries a significant degree of authority online, even if it has not reached the same level of growth and take up as Facebook and Twitter.
(More people are starting to interact socially on GooglePlus every month. Source: InternetLiveStats.com)
In addition to the big 3 listed above, there are a number of other social sites that should not be ignored, like Pinterest, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon, Digg, and Reddit.
(Social media sites provide important signals that can affect your search rankings)
Social Signals – Which Ones Should You Be Paying Attention To?
Social signals tracked by search engines include the following:
- Facebook – e.g. how many Facebook likes, shares, and comments you have, growth rate of likes and shares, etc.
- Twitter – e.g. tweets and retweets, how influential the person sending tweets is, trending topics, etc.
- Google+ – e.g. who is following you (high profile users), how many followers on Google+ your URL has accrued, number of adds and shares, etc.
- Other sites – e.g. number of Pins and re-Pins on Pinterest, upvotes on Reddit, etc.
- Not so obvious signals – In addition to the above, there are other not so obvious social media-related signals that can influence search engine rankings. These include positive and negative factors, such as age and authority of your social media account [positive], and whether your site is deemed to be of poor quality by site reviewers [negative].
As a website owner, it’s important to not only find ways to grow your social media presence, but also to be able to track, measure and analyze your social media marketing in order to improve your business results.
(Use social media to improve your business results)
Tracking social media activity allows you to find insights into what people are saying about your company, brand, or products on social media, identify opportunities for engagement, measure the impact of your marketing campaigns, help you take preventative measures against the spread of negative comments or feedback by online users, and assess competitor activity and market dominance. It can also provide you with vital data about emerging trends and what clients and consumers are thinking about specific businesses, brands, topics, or products.
As a business intelligence tool, being able to track social media channels like blogs, forums, social networking sites, micro-blogging platforms, discussion boards, video sites, and user-generated content (UGC) is invaluable. Using social media monitoring as a form of business intelligence, however, is a complex undertaking, often carried out by a cross-section of people including marketing professionals, PR companies, market researchers, social marketing agencies, social engagement and community staff, and sales teams. Typically, smaller businesses don’t have the budget to pay a social media monitoring service to continually track their coverage in the and actively monitor their digital reputation.
Fortunately a number of technology companies have developed a range of affordable and even free tools that facilitate the monitoring of a variety of social media channels, enabling companies to track consumer behavior around their products or brands allowing them to respond to conversations and engage with online users in various social media platforms.
We have written a comprehensive article where we explore several social media tracking tools that you may want to check out. To learn more, visit this page:
(Are you measuring social signals effectively?)
This article explores a simple social media monitoring plugin for a WordPress-based digital presence and increasing your social media influence online.
Our Featured WordPress Plugin …
SocialMetricsPro – Social Media Analytics Plugin For WordPress
Description Of Plugin
Social Metrics Pro is an easy-to-use social media analytics plugin that is designed to make growing your social media influence uncomplicated. It is built on a simple concept – Social Metrics Pro tracks and measures how each signal is performing and displays either a green or red indicator. The user’s objective is to change all the red squares into greens.
(Social Metrics Pro provides a standard operating procedure that any website owner can follow … turn reds into greens!)
Colors indicate relative popularity. This simplifies your social analytics with Excel-like conditional color formatting. Posts that receive the most shares are colored green. Posts with low social media activity display amber and red.
The developers of SocialMetricsPro tested their plugin on a network of over two thousand sites over a period of 3 months. During this period, all they focused on was turning the “reds” to “greens” and then keeping everything “green”. According to the plugin developers, they noticed a 360% improvement in traffic for their top 10 performing sites, 410% more keywords ranked in the first page of Google and their revenue increased by 310%.
(According to the plugin developers, improving your social marketing can result in higher search engine rankings, more traffic and increased revenue!)
Learn more here:
Benefits Of Using Social Metrics Pro
Below we have listed just a few of the benefits of using Social Metrics Pro to track Likes, Tweets, +1s, Pins and more directly from your WP Dashboard on your web site:
Easy To Install
SocialMetricsPro installs just like any plugin. Simply upload the plugin file to your Plugins folder via your WP dashboard and activate.
Very Simple To Use
As mentioned earlier, the user’s goal is to change more reds into greens. Social Metrics Pro tracks and measures social signals the way Google sees it so you know which social marketing campaigns need more effort and which campaigns need to be better optimized.
Choose Only Social Signals From Social Networks You Care About
Social Metrics Pro lets you track and monitor social activity across leading networks like Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon, and Digg.
Social Metrics Pro lets you easily answer questions like:
- Which social networks work best for my site?
- Which social campaigns are performing the best on these social networks?
- Which of my posts are the most popular?
- And more …
With Social Metrics Pro, all this information is available on-demand, with just one click.
(SocialMetricsPro constantly tracks the social sites that you care most about!)
Social Metrics Pro offers web site owners with a number of great features. Below we have listed some:
- Quick and easy to install and use. Be up and running in no time.
- Widgets And Extensions Ready. You can extend its functionality using external and built-in widgets. SocialMetricsPro displays updated information right on your WP admin bar, display socially popular content on your sidebar or anywhere on your site using point-and-click widgets.
- One-click updating. You can update the plugin with one click via the WordPress Updates page, or update the manually manually. You can also choose to be notified via email when new versions are released.
- Utilizes minimal resources. Reporting is very quickly, consuming very little hosting resources. The tool also includes the amount of time spent retrieving the information and the server memory consumed when gathering the data.
Additional plugin features include:
- Sort, Search And Filter Features: SocialMetricsPro lets you sort, search and filter the information as you like. You can perform keyword searches to study topic-related posts, and even filter the results by post authors, category, publishing date, or post type.
- Export Data To Excel: You can export filtered, sorted data and custom queries to Excel for further analysis. Data can be exported in tab-delimited and comma-separated file formats, and imported to the spreadsheet application of your choice.
(SocialMetricsPro is really simple to use … just convert all red squares into greens!)
Testimonials From Product Users
Here are some of the testimonials that users have published about SocialMetricsPro:
”As with any cool plugin, it solves a very simple problem – how to view how well your WordPress posts are being promoted.” Adam Small, Marketing Tech Blog
”I give Social Metrics a big thumbs up and I recommend it to anyone who’s serious about tracking their social sharing analytics.” James Johnson, Senior Editor at The Inquisitr
SocialMetricsPro comes with a practical, step-by-step guide on how to optimize your campaigns and improve your social media strategy (i.e. turn reds into greens).
SocialMetricsPro is well-supported, and users get lifetime upgrades and new releases for free with their purchase, backed by a risk-free, 60-day, complete money-back guarantee.
SocialMetricsPro plugin is available in two editions:
- Single Site Licensing – This lets you run Social Metrics Pro on one web site only. Includes free lifetime upgrades and free support. Cost = $27.00 (one-time).
- Multiple Sites License – This license enables you to configure SocialMetricsPro on multiple websites that you own. Price includes free lifetime updates and free support. Price = $47.00 (one-time).
Note: Current pricing for the Social Metrics Pro product depends on whether there are any promotions or limited-time specials being offered. When we last checked, the product sells for the prices shown above. This may or may not be the actual pricing charged by the plugin author when you visit the site and there may be additional upsells or one-time offers after purchasing.
Check the plugin’s website for the current pricing here:
Social Metrics Pro requires a self-hosted installation of WordPress and can be instantly downloaded after purchase.
As mentioned earlier, with the increased importance of social media sites like Facebook and Twitter, search engines like Google and Bing are now taking into account a range of social signals to help determine website ranking.
No website owner can afford to ignore the importance of social media. SocialMetricsPro solves the problem of how to find a simple, time-saving solution that gives you instant feedback on the success of your social media marketing campaigns and shows you how and where to direct your efforts in order to improve your results.
SocialMetricsPro is an ideal tool for beginners and advanced WordPress users alike. It tracks Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more right from your WordPress dashboard.
We recommend Social Metrics Pro if you own or manage WordPress sites and want to make social marketing campaigns work for you.
For full details, visit the plugin website: Social Metrics Pro – Social Media Analytics For WordPress
Disclaimer: WordPress and its related trademarks are registered trademarks of Automattic, Inc. This site and the services and products offered on this site are not affiliated, associated, endorsed, or sponsored by WordPress, nor have they been tested, certified, or reviewed by WordPress. The owner, contributors and/or advertisers may derive financial benefit from sales of items advertised, reviewed, or linked to this site.
Did you find this article useful? Please use the links below and share this page with anyone who can benefit from learning about WordPress.