Social interactions and recommendations like Facebook shares, comments, and likes, Twitter mentions and retweets, etc. are called social signals.
With the increased importance of social sites like Facebook and Twitter, search engines now take into account a range of social signals to help determine a site’s ranking.
Note: Google encourages website owners to build their social media presence as a long-term investment to drive qualified traffic, instead of aiming for short-term benefits like search ranking placement. Matt Cutts, the head of Google’s web spam team has stated that Google takes a cautious approach when it comes to social media, as so many things change quickly on social media. Without a reliable ‘map,’ Google is understandably reticent to assign more importance to social signals over other aspects of their search algorithm. In short, Google’s strategy is a sensible one - “wait and see” how things develop over time, as sites that provide real value normally develop longevity, trust and authority, and these are the sites that Google naturally wants to display higher in its search results.
Social Signals – Which Sites Matter?
Social media sites that search engines like Google and Bing look to when measuring social signals include:
With almost 2 billion active users, Facebook is the most dominant social network on the planet. Research shows that an average post on Facebook can reach over 100,000 users, so even if no one is buying your products or services on Facebook, don’t be quick to dismiss the importance of Facebook in your business strategy, as Google uses data and information from Facebook when determining your search rankings. In fact, Facebook seems influence search engine rankings more than other social media sites.
(Number of active Facebook users. Source: Statista.com)
After Facebook, Twitter is the second largest social media site in the world, with over half a billion tweets sent out every single day. Twitter has a significant amount of influence on the cybersphere and places great importance on the authority of tweets posted to followers over the number of tweets sent …
(Over half a billion tweets are sent every day. Source: Internet Live Stats)
As Google’s own social networking site, GooglePlus naturally carries great authority online, even if it has not reached the same level of growth and take up as Twitter and Facebook.
(More people are interacting socially on GooglePlus each day. Source: Internet Live Stats)
In addition to the big three listed above, there are a number of other social sites that provide important social signals, like Pinterest, LinkedIn, Reddit, StumbleUpon, and Digg.
(Social media sites provide important signals to search engines that could affect your rankings)
Social Signals – Which Ones Should You Be Paying Attention To?
Search engines like Bing and Google track various social signals, including the following:
- Facebook – e.g. how many Facebook comments, shares, and likes a person has, growth rate of shares and likes, etc.
- Twitter – e.g. tweets and retweets, the number of people tweeting, trending topics, etc.
- GooglePlus – e.g. who is following you (high profile users), how many followers on Google+ a URL has, amount and authority of +1s, etc.
- Other sites – e.g. number of Pins and re-Pins on Pinterest, upvotes on StumbleUpon, etc.
- Other signals – In addition to the above, there are other not so obvious factors that can indirectly influence search rankings. These include desirable and negative factors, such as improving clickthrough rate [positive], and whether your site is deemed to be of low quality by visitors [negative].
As a website owner, it’s not only important to find ways to grow your social media presence, but also to be able to track and analyze social media in order to improve your business results.
(Use social media marketing to improve your results online)
Social media monitoring allows you to find insights into your company’s overall visibility on social media, help you take preventative measures against the spread of negative comments or feedback by dissatisfied users, measure the impact of campaigns, assess competitor activity and market dominance, and spot market opportunities. It can also provide valuable data about emerging trends and what consumers and clients think about specific businesses, products, brands, or topics.
As a tool for business intelligence, social monitoring is invaluable. Using social media monitoring as a form of business intelligence, however, is a complex undertaking, often carried out by a cross-section of groups that include digital reputation managers, marketing teams, market researchers, agencies, sales teams, and social engagement and community staff. Typically, smaller businesses do not have the budget to pay a social media monitoring service to continually track their coverage in the media.
Fortunately a number of providers have made available many tools to facilitate the monitoring of a variety of social media channels, enabling companies to track consumer behavior around their brands allowing them to react to conversations and engage with consumers in a timely manner.
We have created a detailed article listing several social media monitoring tools and technologies that will help you identify new business opportunities, track competitor activity, see what conversations are taking place online that affect your business,etc. Go here for more details:
(Do you know how to effectively monitor your social signals?)
In this article, we explore a simple, yet highly effective plugin for WordPress users for tracking social signals and increasing your social media influence online.
SocialMetricsPro – Social Media Analytics WordPress Plugin
Description Of Plugin
SocialMetricsPro is an easy-to-use social media analytics premium WordPress plugin that is designed to make increasing your social media exposure online uncomplicated. It is built on a simple premise – Social Metrics Pro measures how each signal is performing and displays either a red or green indicator. Your goal is simple … convert all the reds into greens.
(A system that any website owner can operate … turn all the reds into greens!)
Colors indicate relative popularity. This simplifies your social analytics. Posts with highest number of shares are colored green. Posts with low social media activity display amber and red.
The developers of SocialMetricsPro tested their plugin on a network of over two thousand sites over a period of three months. During this period, all they focused on was turning the “reds” to “greens” and then keeping everything “green”. According to the plugin developers, they noticed a 360% improvement in traffic for their top 10 performing sites, 410% more keywords ranked in the first page of Google and their revenue increased by 310%.
(According to Social Metrics Pro developers, focusing on improving your social media marketing can result in better search engine rankings, more traffic and increased revenue!)
Benefits Of Using SocialMetricsPro
Here are just a few of the benefits and advantages of using Social Metrics Pro to track Tweets, Likes, +1s, Pins and more directly from your WordPress Dashboard on your website:
Very Easy To Install
Social Metrics Pro is quite easy to install. Just upload a zip file containing the plugin to your Plugin folder via your administrator area and activate.
Simple To Use
As mentioned earlier, the user’s task is to change red squares into greens. SocialMetricsPro tracks and measures social media signals so you know which social marketing campaigns need you to invest more effort and which social marketing campaigns need to be better optimized.
Track Only Signals From Social Networks You Care About
Social Metrics Pro provides a powerful dashboard to track and monitor social media activity from social media networks like Facebook, Twitter, GooglePlus, StumbleUpon, Digg, Pinterest, and LinkedIn directly from your WordPress dashboard.
Social Metrics Pro lets you easily answer questions like:
- Which social media networks work best for my site?
- Which social campaigns are performing the best on these social networks?
- Which are my most popular posts?
- And more …
With Social Metrics Pro, all this information can be accessed with a single click.
(SocialMetricsPro constantly monitors social signals from the social sites that you care most about!)
Social Metrics Pro offers site owners with many unique features. Below we have listed some:
- Quick and easy to install and use. Be up and running in very little time.
- Widgets And Extensions Ready. You can extend the plugin’s functionality with external and built-in widgets. SocialMetricsPro shows the latest stats right on your WordPress admin bar, add social content to your blog sidebar or anywhere on your site using point-and-click widgets.
- 1-click auto-updating functionality. Update the plugin in one click via the WordPress Updates page, or update it manually. You can also choose to receive an email notification whenever a new version is released.
- Plugin uses minimal hosting resources. Reporting is in seconds, consuming minimal server resources. Reports also include the amount of time spent retrieving the information and the server resources consumed when gathering data.
Additional features include:
- Sort, Search And Filter Features: SocialMetricsPro lets you sort and filter the data however you like. You can perform keyword searches to study posts related to certain topics, and even filter the results by publishing date, category, post type, or by post authors.
- Export Data To Excel: You can export data to Excel for further analysis. Data can be exported in tab-delimited and comma-separated file formats, and imported to the spreadsheet application of your choice.
(SocialMetricsPro is very simple to use … just change all red squares into greens!)
Feedback From Users
Here are a couple of the testimonials customers have published about the Social Metrics Pro plugin:
”Social Metrics is the easiest way to see at a glance which posts have performed well on social networks.” Kevin Muldoon, Founder of WPMods.com
“Social Metrics Takes WordPress Stats to the Next Level.” Lorraine Ball, Creative Director, Roundpeg
A step-by-step guide on how to optimize your campaigns and improve your social media strategy (i.e. how to turn reds into greens) is also included.
The plugin is well-supported, and users get lifetime upgrades and new releases for free with their purchase, backed by a no-risk, 60-day, complete refund guarantee.
Social Metrics Pro plugin is available in two editions:
- Single Site License Edition – This enables you to configure SocialMetricsPro on 1 domain only. Includes free lifetime updates and free support. Cost = $27.00 (one-time).
- Multi-Site License Edition – This lets you configure SocialMetricsPro on multiple websites that you own. Pricing includes free lifetime updates and support. Cost = $47.00 (one-time).
Note: Pricing for Social Metrics Pro can vary, depending on whether there are any promotions or limited-time special offers. Presently, the software retails for the pricing shown above. This may or may not be the actual pricing set by the product developer when you visit the product site and you may be shown additional upsells or one-time offers after you’ve purchased.
Check the plugin’s website for the latest pricing details here:
SocialMetricsPro requires a self-hosted installation of WordPress and can be instantly downloaded after purchase.
Get The Product
As mentioned earlier, Google has been tracking social signals as part of its ranking algorithm.
No website owner can afford to ignore how important social media is to their online success. Social Metrics Pro solves the problem of how to find a simple, time-saving solution that gives WordPress users immediate feedback on the success of their social media marketing campaigns and shows them how and where to direct their efforts in order to improve their results.
Social Metrics Pro is an ideal tool for beginners and advanced users alike. It tracks Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more right from your WordPress dashboard.
Get Social Metrics Pro if you own or manage WordPress sites and want to shorten your social media marketing learning curve.
For more details, visit the plugin website here: Social Metrics Pro – Social Media Analytics For WordPress