Social interactions like Facebook comments, likes, and shares, +1s on GooglePlus, etc. are called social signals.
With the increase in importance of social sites like Twitter and Facebook, search engines now take into account social signals when determining website ranking.
Note: Google encourages website owners to build their social media presence as a long-term investment to drive qualified traffic, instead of aiming for short-term benefits like search ranking placement. Google’s own head of its web spam team Matt Cutts has stated that Google takes a cautious approach when it comes to social signals, as social trends and relationships can change at a moment’s notice. Without a reliable ‘map,’ Google is understandably reticent to assign too much importance to the social sphere over other aspects of their search algorithm. In summary, Google’s strategy is a sensible one - “wait and see” how things develop over time, as websites that provide real value develop longevity, trust and authority, and these are the sites that Google naturally wants to ascribe higher search rankings to.
- Social Signals – Which Social Sites Matter?
- Social Signals – Which Ones Should You Pay Attention To?
- SocialMetricsPro – Social Media Analytics WordPress Plugin
Social Signals – Which Social Sites Matter?
Social sites that search engines like Google look to for measuring social signals include:
With almost 2 billion active users, Facebook is the largest social media community in the world. It has been estimated that an average post on Facebook can reach over 100,000 users, so even if no one is buying your products or services on Facebook, you should not be quick to dismiss the power of leveraging Facebook, as Google processes social data and information from Facebook to help determine your search rankings. In fact, Facebook seems influence search rankings more than other social media sites.
(Number of monthly active Facebook users. Source: Statista.com)
After Facebook, Twitter is the second largest social media site in the world, with over half a billion tweets sent out each day. Twitter has a significant amount of influence on the cybersphere and places great emphasis on tweeting posts that provide great value to followers over the volume of tweets sent …
(Over 500 million tweets are sent every day. Source: Internet Live Stats)
As Google’s own social networking site, Google+ naturally carries a significant degree of authority online, even if it is still a fledgling social community compared to sites like Twitter and Facebook.
(More people are actively using GooglePlus every day. Source: Internet Live Stats)
In addition to the big 3 listed above, there are a number of other social media networks that provide important social metrics, such as Pinterest, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon, Digg, and Reddit.
(A number of social sites provide important signals that could affect your search engine rankings)
Social Signals – Which Ones Should You Pay Attention To?
Search engines like Google and Bing track a number of social signals, including:
- Facebook – e.g. how many Facebook likes, shares, and comments you have, growth rate of shares and likes, etc.
- Twitter – e.g. how many tweets and retweets a URL has, the number of people tweeting, trending topics, etc.
- GooglePlus – e.g. who is following you (influential users), how many people follow you, number and growth rate of +1s, etc.
- Other sites – e.g. growth rate of Pins and re-Pins on Pinterest, upvotes on Reddit, etc.
- Other signals – In addition to the above, there are other not so obvious factors that can indirectly influence search engine rankings and traffic. These include desirable and negative factors, such as backlinks from authority sites (not as relevant as they once were, but still a factor) [positive], and whether your site is deemed to be irrelevant by other users [negative].
As a website owner, it’s not only important to grow your presence on major social networking websites, but also to be able to track, measure and analyze social signals in order to improve your business results.
(Use social media marketing to improve your results online)
Social media monitoring allows you to gain insights into what people are saying about your brand, company, or services on social media, avert impending crises, spot potential market opportunities, spy on the competition, and measure the impact of your marketing campaigns. It can also provide you with vital information about emerging trends and what consumers and clients are thinking about specific brands, topics, businesses, or products.
As a business intelligence tool, social signal monitoring is invaluable. Using social media monitoring as a form of business intelligence, however, is a complex undertaking, often carried out by various groups that include marketing professionals, market researchers, digital reputation management (ORM) agencies, sales teams, social media marketing agencies, and social engagement and community staff. Typically, many small businesses do not have the budget to pay media monitoring professionals to track their coverage in the media.
Fortunately many providers have made available many affordable tools that facilitate the tracking of a wide range of social media channels, allowing you to track consumer behavior around your brand so you can respond to conversations and interact with consumers in various social media platforms.
We have written a comprehensive article about social media tracking tools and technologies that you may want to check out. For more info, see this article:
(Are you tracking your social signals effectively?)
In this article, we explore a simple plugin for WordPress-driven websites and blogs for monitoring social signals and growing your social media influence.
SocialMetricsPro – Social Media Analytics WordPress Plugin
Description Of Plugin
SocialMetricsPro is an easy-to-use social analytics WordPress plugin that is designed to make increasing your social media presence uncomplicated. It is built on a simple premise – the plugin tracks and measures how each signal is performing and returns either a green or red indicator. Your goal is simple … convert all the red squares into greens.
(A system that any user can operate … turn all the reds into greens!)
Colors indicate relative popularity. This simplifies your social analytics. Posts with the highest number of shares display green. Posts with low social media activity show up amber or red.
The developers of SocialMetricsPro tested their plugin on a network of over two thousand sites over a period of three months. During this period, all they focused on was turning the “reds” to “greens” and then keeping their metrics on “green”. From these tests, they were able to notice a 360% improvement in traffic for their top 10 performing sites, 410% more keywords ranked in the first page of Google and their revenue increased by 310%.
(According to the plugin developers, focusing on improving your social media marketing can positively affect your search rankings, web traffic and revenue!)
Learn more about this plugin here:
Here are just some of the benefits of using SocialMetricsPro to track Likes, Tweets, Pins, +1s and more from your WordPress Dashboard on your site:
Be Up And Running In Very Little Time
Social Metrics Pro installs like every other plugin. Just upload the plugin file to your Plugins folder via your WP dashboard and activate.
Simple To Use
As mentioned earlier, the user’s goal is to turn all reds into greens. Social Metrics Pro tracks and measures social signals the way Google sees it so you know which social campaigns need more effort and where to optimize.
Track Only Social Signals You Care About
SocialMetricsPro provides a powerful dashboard to centrally monitor social media activity across leading social media networks like Facebook, Google+, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, StumbleUpon, and Digg.
SocialMetricsPro lets you easily answer questions like:
- Which social media networks work best for my site?
- Which posts are performing the best on these social networks?
- Which of my posts are the most popular on social media?
- And more …
With Social Metrics Pro, all this information can be accessed with just one click.
(SocialMetricsPro actively tracks social signals from the sites that you care most about!)
Social Metrics Pro provides a number of great features to WordPress users. Below we have listed just a few:
- Quick and easy to install and set up. Ready to start using in very little time.
- SocialMetricsPro Is Widgets & Extensions Ready. You can extend the plugin’s functionality with built-in and external widgets. View updated stats right on your WP dashboard, display socially popular content on your blog sidebar or anywhere in your site using point-and-click widgets.
- One-click auto-upgrade functionality. Update SocialMetricsPro with a single click via the WordPress Updates page, or update the manually manually. You can also opt to be notified via email when new plugin updates are released.
- Plugin uses minimal hosting resources. The plugin can generate social metrics reports fast, consuming minimal hosting resources. Report generation also displays the amount of time spent retrieving the information and the server memory used to gather data.
Additional features include:
- Sort, Search And Filter Features: Social Metrics Pro lets you sort, search and filter the data as you like. You can perform keyword searches to study topic-related posts, and even filter the results by category, publishing date, post authors, or by post type.
- Export Data: You can export data to Excel for further analysis. Data can be exported in tab-delimited and comma-separated file formats, and imported to the spreadsheet application of your choice.
(SocialMetricsPro is very simple to use … just turn all the red squares into greens!)
Testimonials From Product Users
Here are a few of the testimonials users have submitted regarding Social Metrics Pro:
”As with any cool plugin, it solves a very simple problem – how to view how well your WordPress posts are being promoted.” Adam Small, Marketing Tech Blog
“Social Metrics Takes WordPress Stats to the Next Level.” Lorraine Ball, Creative Director, Roundpeg
SocialMetricsPro includes a practical, step-by-step guide showing you how to optimize your site for social media success (i.e. turn reds into greens).
SocialMetricsPro Plugin Support
SocialMetricsPro is well-supported, and users get lifetime software upgrades and new releases for free with their purchase, backed by a risk-free, sixty-day, complete money-back guarantee.
Social Metrics Pro plugin is available in two editions:
- Single Site License Edition – This option enables you to configure Social Metrics Pro on 1 site only. It includes free lifetime upgrades and free support. Price = $27.00 (one-time).
- Multiple Sites License – This license option enables you to configure SocialMetricsPro on multiple domains that you own. Includes free lifetime upgrades and support. Cost = $47.00 (one-time).
Please Note: The cost of purchasing the Social Metrics Pro product can vary, depending on whether there are any promotions or limited-time special offers. When we last checked, the plugin retails for the prices shown above. This may or may not be the actual pricing charged by the product seller when you visit the plugin website and there may be additional upsells or one-time offers after purchasing.
Check the plugin’s website for the current pricing:
SocialMetricsPro requires a self-hosted installation of WordPress and can be instantly downloaded after purchase.
As mentioned earlier, Google has been tracking social signals as part of its ranking algorithm.
No website owner can afford to ignore the importance of social media. Social Metrics Pro solves the problem of how to find a simple, time-saving solution that gives you immediate feedback on the success of your social media marketing campaigns and shows you how to direct your efforts in order to improve your results.
Social Metrics Pro is ideal for beginners and advanced WordPress users alike. It tracks Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more directly from your WP dashboard.
We recommend SocialMetricsPro if you own or manage WordPress sites and would like to make social marketing work for you.
For complete details, visit the plugin website: Social Metrics Pro – Social Media Analytics Plugin
Disclaimer: WordPress and its related trademarks are registered trademarks of Automattic, Inc. This site is not affiliated with nor sponsored by Automattic, Inc. or the WordPress Open Source project. This site and the products and services offered on this site are not associated, affiliated, endorsed, or sponsored by WordPress, nor have they been reviewed, certified, or tested by WordPress. The owner, contributors and/or advertisers may derive financial benefit from sales of items advertised, linked to, or reviewed on this site.
Did you enjoy this article? Please feel free to share this tutorial with other blog owners using the share buttons below.