Social interactions and recommendations like +1s on Google+, Facebook comments, likes, and shares, etc. are called social signals.
With the rise of social media sites like Twitter and Facebook, search engines like Bing and Google are now taking into account various social signals when determining a website’s ranking.
Note: Google encourages businesses to build their brand on social media as a long-term investment to drive qualified traffic, rather than aiming for short-term benefits like search ranking placement. Google’s own head of the web spam team Matt Cutts has stated that Google takes a cautious approach when it comes to social signals, as so many things change quickly on social media. Without a full ‘map,’ Google is understandably reticent to assign more importance to the social sphere over other aspects of their search algorithm. In short, Google’s strategy is to “wait and see” how things develop over time, as websites that provide true value tend to develop longevity, trust and authority, and these are the sites that Google naturally wants to rank higher in its search engine.
Social Signal Sources
Social media sites that search engines look to when measuring social signals include:
With more than 1.5 billion active users, Facebook is the most influential social media network on the planet. Research shows that an average post can reach over 100,000 users, so even if no one is buying your products or services on Facebook, you should not be quick to dismiss the power of leveraging Facebook, as Google processes social data and information from Facebook to help determine your search rankings. In fact, Facebook seems influence search engine rankings more than other social media sites, like Twitter andGooglePlus.
(Number of active Facebook users. Source: Statista.com)
After Facebook, Twitter is the second largest social media site in the world, with over 600 million tweets sent out every day. Twitter has a significant amount of influence online and places great importance on tweeting posts that provide value to readers over the number of tweets sent …
(Over 500 million tweets are sent every day. Source: Internet Live Stats)
Google’s own social media site naturally carries great authority online, even if it is still a fledgling online community compared to sites like Twitter and Facebook.
(More people are interacting socially on Google+ each year. Source: Internet Live Stats)
In addition to the big three social sites listed above, there are a number of other social sites that should not be ignored, such as Pinterest, LinkedIn, Reddit, StumbleUpon, and Digg.
(Social media sites provide important signals to search engines that could affect your rankings)
Which Social Signals Should You Be Paying Attention To?
Search engines like Bing and Google track various social signals, including the following:
- Facebook – e.g. how many Facebook shares, comments, and likes a person has, growth rate of likes and shares, etc.
- Twitter – e.g. how many tweets and retweets a URL has, how influential the person sharing the posts is, trending topics, etc.
- GooglePlus – e.g. who is following you (influential users), how many people follow you, spread rate of adds and shares, etc.
- Other sites – e.g. growth rate of Pins and re-Pins on Pinterest, comments on Reddit, etc.
- Other signals – In addition to the above, there are other not so obvious social media-related signals that can indirectly influence search engine rankings. These include positive and negative factors, such as age and authority of your social media account [positive], and whether your site is deemed to be of low quality by visitors [negative].
As a business owner, it’s important to not only find ways to develop your presence on major social networking websites, but also to be able to track and analyze social media in order to improve your business results.
(Using social media can help improve your results online)
Tracking social media activity allows you to find insights into your brand’s online visibility on social media, identify market opportunities, be alerted to crises, measure the impact of campaigns, and assess competitor activity. Additionally, social media monitoring can also provide valuable data about emerging trends and what clients and consumers think about specific brands, businesses, topics, or products.
As a tool for business intelligence, social media signal monitoring is invaluable. Using social media monitoring as a form of business intelligence, however, is a complex undertaking, often carried out by various groups that include PR companies, marketing teams, market researchers, social engagement and community staff, social media marketing agencies, and professional sales reps. Typically, smaller businesses do not can’t afford to pay media monitoring professionals to track their coverage in the and actively monitor their digital reputation.
Fortunately different service providers have created a range of affordable and even free tools that facilitate the active monitoring of a broad spectrum of social media channels, enabling companies to track what consumers are saying about their brands so they can react to conversations and interact with online users in a timely manner.
We have created a comprehensive article where we explore a number of social media measurement tools that will help you manage, measure, and analyze your social media marketing campaigns. More info:
(Can you track social signals effectively?)
In this article, we look at a simple, yet effective social monitoring tool for WordPress and growing your social media influence.
SocialMetricsPro – Social Media Analytics For WordPress
SocialMetricsPro is an easy-to-install social media analytics WordPress plugin that is designed to help you increase your social media influence in an uncomplicated way. It is built on a simple concept – Social Metrics Pro tracks how each signal is performing and displays either a red or green indicator. Your goal is to turn more reds into greens.
(Social Metrics Pro provides a standard operating procedure that any user can follow … turn reds into greens!)
Colors indicate relative popularity. This simplifies your social analytics. Posts that get shared the most are colored green. Posts with low social media activity are colored amber or red.
The plugin developers tested Social Metrics Pro on a network of over two thousand websites over a period of three months. During this period, all they focused on was turning the “reds” to “greens” and then keeping their metrics on “green”. From these tests, they were able to notice a 360% improvement in traffic for their top 10 performing sites, 410% more keywords ranked in the first page of Google and their revenue increased by 310%.
(According to the plugin developers, focusing on improving your social media marketing can result in higher search engine rankings, more web traffic and more revenue!)
For more details go here:
Below we have listed just some of the benefits of using SocialMetricsPro to track Likes, Tweets, +1s, Pins and more from your WordPress Dashboard on your web site:
Be Up And Running In Very Little Time
Social Metrics Pro installs like every other plugin. Simply upload the plugin file to your Plugins folder via your dashboard and activate.
Very Simple To Use
As mentioned earlier, the user’s task is to change all the red squares into greens. SocialMetricsPro tracks and measures social signals the way Google sees it so you know where to invest more effort and which campaigns need to be better optimized.
Track Only Social Signals From Social Networks You Care About
Social Metrics Pro allows you to centrally track and monitor social activity across leading networks like Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon, Pinterest, and Digg directly from your WP admin area.
SocialMetricsPro lets you easily answer questions like:
- Which social networks work best for my site?
- Which posts are performing the best on these social networks?
- Which are my most popular posts?
- And more …
With SocialMetricsPro, all this information is available on-demand, with a single click.
(SocialMetricsPro actively tracks the social sites that you care most about!)
Social Metrics Pro Features
Social Metrics Pro offers WordPress users with many features. Below we have listed a few:
- Fast and easy to install and use. Ready to go to work in no time.
- Widgets & Extensions Ready. You can extend the plugin’s functionality with built-in and external widgets. Social Metrics Pro displays updated stats right on your WordPress dashboard, add socially popular content to your blog sidebar or anywhere on your site using point-and-click widgets.
- One-click upgrades. Update Social Metrics Pro in a single click via the WordPress Updates screen, or update the manually manually. You can also choose to be notified via email when a new version is released.
- Minimal consumption of resources. Reporting is in seconds, consuming very little hosting resources. The tool also includes the amount of time spent retrieving the information and the server memory used to gather data.
Additional features include:
- Sort, Search & Filter Features: Social Metrics Pro lets you sort, search and filter data however you like. You can perform keyword searches to study topic-related posts, and even filter the results by category, publishing date, post type, or by post authors.
- Export Data To Excel: You can export data to Excel for further analysis. Data can be exported in tab-delimited and comma-separated file formats, and imported to Excel or the spreadsheet application of your choice.
(SocialMetricsPro is very simple to use … just change more red squares into greens!)
Feedback From Users
Below are some of the testimonials and feedback that users have submitted regarding SocialMetricsPro:
”Social Metrics is the easiest way to see at a glance which posts have performed well on social networks.” Kevin Muldoon, Founder of WPMods.com
“Social Metrics Takes WordPress Stats to the Next Level.” Lorraine Ball, Creative Director, Roundpeg
A practical guide showing you how to optimize your social media strategy (i.e. how to turn reds into greens) is also included.
Social Metrics Pro Plugin Support
Social Metrics Pro is well-supported, and users get lifetime upgrades and new releases for free with their purchase, backed by a no-risk, 60-day, complete money-back guarantee.
SocialMetricsPro plugin is available in two editions:
- Single Site License – This option lets you run SocialMetricsPro on a single domain. Includes free lifetime updates and free support. Price = $27.00 (one-time).
- Unlimited Sites License – This lets you run SocialMetricsPro on unlimited sites that you own. Includes free lifetime updates and free support. Cost = $47.00 (one-time).
Please Note: Pricing details of Social Metrics Pro depends on whether there are any promotions or limited-time specials being offered. When we last checked, the software sells for the amounts shown above. This may not be the actual price charged by the product seller when you visit the site and there may be additional upsells or one-time offers after you’ve purchased.
Check the plugin’s website for current pricing details:
SocialMetricsPro requires a self-hosted installation of WordPress and can be instantly downloaded after purchase.
As mentioned earlier, Google has been elevating the importance given to social signals as part of its ranking algorithm.
No website owner can afford to ignore how important social media is to their online success. Social Metrics Pro solves the problem of how to find a simple, time-saving solution that gives WordPress users instant feedback on the success of their social media marketing strategy and guides them how to direct their efforts in order to improve their results.
SocialMetricsPro is ideal for beginners and advanced WordPress users alike. It tracks Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more directly from your WP dashboard.
We recommend getting SocialMetricsPro if you own or manage WordPress sites and want to improve social media visibility and see more of your keywords getting ranked on search engines.
For more information, check out the plugin here: SocialMetricsPro – Social Media Analytics Plugin