WordPress has evolved from being just a simple blogging tool to a tool being used to create all types of websites.
Whatever you can think of, someone is probably already building it with WordPress!
This article will help you learn how to create beautiful page layouts with drag & drop ease in WordPress websites.
Drag And Drop Content Editors For WordPress
Does The Default WordPress WYSIWYG Editor Meet All Of Your Page Design Needs?
With all the many advancements that the WordPress platform has gone through in recent years, many WordPress users and developers believe that using the WordPress WYSIWYG editor to build or edit complex page elements can sometimes be quite challenging.
(The built-in WordPress WYSIWYG content editor is great for adding, formatting and editing “linear” text and media, but adding more complex page elements can be challenging!)
For example, if you look at the illustration below …
To create the above page elements in your content would require inserting something that looks like this inside your WordPress editor …
Typically, this is not really an issue … until you need to change your layout (for example, move part of the content from box 3 into box 2, or change the background color in a box from bright red to light blue. Then, you’re stuck having to mess around with page code or html.
The WordPress editor is supposed to give non-technical users an easy-to-use WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) content editor, but as you can see, if you are trying to edit more complex content elements, what you see in the WordPress visual editor screen may not be the same as what you get …
(“What You See” isn’t always “What You Get” … unless you can visualize code!)
In some cases, users may even be better off working directly inside the html (text) editor tab instead of the visual editor when trying to build complex page elements …
Even though WordPress is very user-friendly, this makes it difficult for non-technical website owners to have full control of their own content.
The fundamental problem of having to use HTML and shortcodes to create content in the default WordPress editor can be summarized as follows:
1) Speed – How long will it take to create a web page using this editor?
2) Abstraction – How closely does the content in the ”back end” resemble the content in the “front end” when you are creating or editing a page?
As you can see from the above screenshot, what you see in the content editor looks nothing like what you see in the front end. This means that users need to translate mentally what the content will look like when working with sophisticated layouts. Other solutions require a number of steps before you can start configuring your page layout, or endlessly switching tabs and performing tweaks and updates to see how your content is progressing, which can interrupt the creative process, as you wait for the updated content to refresh.
A number of WordPress web developers have tried to come up with different solutions with the aim of making the visual editor easier. Some of these alternative solutions range from plugins you can install on your site that add new functionality to the editor, to WP themes that offer built-in features like drag and drop editing …
(WordPress “drag and drop” editors aim to make creating complex content easier!)
Some solutions include so many complex page design features, that users need to learn how to work with complicated-looking front end content editors …
Many of these alternative editors work, but they don’t really address the fundamental problem with using HTML and shortcodes as described earlier. Adding and editing sophisticated content elements on a web page becomes overly complicated, involves multiple steps and doesn’t match what users expect to see on the “front end.”
If you want your web pages to look “just right” quickly, this can become quite frustrating after a while.
Ask yourself this …
If there were no technical constraints, how would you like to build and edit your pages?
Now that you’ve asked this question, imagine the following scenario …
- You look at your content and if you see something that needs changing, just click on the content and start editing it. Your content is then instantly changed.
- You can just drag and drop elements on the page, and the page looks exactly as it will appear on the front end without having to mentally visualize HTML or shortcodes.
- You have an idea for a specific item of content you would like to add, so you simply begin typing, and you build your web page on the fly, without delays, with no switching tabs, and no waiting for new pages to reload.
Would that not be the perfect way to create content for your site? A true visual content editor where all you have to do is click-to-edit and drag and drop elements around the pages and posts?
(Imagine being able to create complex web page layouts quickly for your web content without technical skills required!)
If you are ready to change the way you create content in WordPress site, then here is a plugin that you may want to consider using …
Thrive Content And Page Builder
Thrive Content Builder is a truly intuitive WordPress click-to-edit drag-and-drop content creation plugin.
Thrive Content Builder provides you with a new and exciting way to set up conversion-focused pages on any WordPress website.
Once installed, Thrive Content Builder adds a visual content editor with a menu that lets you drag and drop design elements to your web page …
(Thrive Content Builder adds a new content editor to WordPress)
The plugin is actually a combination of the Thrive Content Builder and Thrive Landing Pages plugins combined into one, plus an additional plugin feature called Thrive Lightbox.
Let’s examine each of the above plugins and how all of this functionality works seamlessly together to help you easily transform and improve your web site and create awesome sales pages, streamlined landing pages and engaging content.
Thrive Content Builder – Click-To-Edit Drag & Drop Content Builder Plugin For WordPress
With this plugin installed easily build complex web page design layouts using drag and drop elements …
Every element on your page can be built and changed by dragging and dropping things around the page and then clicking to edit them …
Once elements have been added to a page, you can then further customize or edit these without going through additional steps or switching screens …
You can also build stunning landing pages and easily edit these …
Thrive Content Builder and Landing Pages is simple, easy to use, and ideal for all WordPress users at all levels. In fact, designing pages and working on content with the Thrive Content Builder and Landing Pages plugin installed is so amazingly simple, that the developers warn that once you start using it, you’ll never look back!
To learn more about the plugin go here: Thrive Content Builder
The integrated Thrive Landing Pages and Content Builder plugin was created by the same team that developed Thrive Leads, another amazing plugin we’ve reviewed on this site.
See this page to read more about the plugin:
Here we have listed just some of the many benefits and advantages of using Thrive Content Builder to speed up content creation:
Quick And Simple To Install And Set Up. Be Up And Running In Very Little Time.
Thrive Content Builder is quite easy to install. Just upload it to your Plugins folder via your WP admin section and activate.
Add And Edit Content In Real Time
Thrive Content Builder is is not only very simple and intuitive to use, it also lets you edit and build content in real-time.
A Truly Visual Content Editor
With Thrive Content Builder installed, what you see on the “back end” as you work within the editor – fonts, elements, page layouts, etc. is exactly what your visitors will see on the front end of your site.
Additional benefits include the following:
- Add Eye-Catching Layouts With Drag And Drop Ease: Create any kind of layout you can imagine with drag-and-drop ease.
- Design Elements Included: With the Thrive Content Builder plugin you not only get an exciting and simple-to-use click-to-edit WordPress content builder, but the plugin also includes a jaw-dropping collection of functional and eye-catching design elements that you can customizable and insert into your layouts without using shortcodes, for e.g.: pricing tables, borderless content, testimonials, HTML code insert boxes, etc.
- Distraction-Free Content Creation: Not having to wait for for your updated content to refresh frees up your attention and allows you to build the web pages your business needs, quickly and without having to edit code or click through multiple steps to get what you need done.
(Add, edit and customize page elements like testimonials, pricing tables, star ratings for review pages, dividers, credit card icons, etc.)
Thrive Content Builder provides web site owners many great features. Below we have listed just some:
- All WordPress Content Functionality Is Preserved: You have all of the built-in WordPress editing options that you are used to (e.g. bold formatting, centering text, headings and font sizes, etc.),
- Drag And Drop Multi-Style Elements: The plugin makes a “drag and drop” list of multi-style elements available on your post or page screen when creating and editing content.
- Conversion-Boosting Elements: The plugin comes with a range of attention-grabbing and customizable elements that will help increase your sales conversions, including buttons and call-to-action elements, testimonial boxes, and guarantees. In addition to customization options, multiple design options are also available for various elements.
- Responsive Page Design: Add mobile-friendly columns, guarantee boxes, section dividers, e.g. which will resize and display great on different device screens.
- Add Animation Events To Web Pages: Thrive Content Builder’s Event Manager feature lets you create animations, trigger lightboxes and more!
(Add Animated Elements To Your Pages)
Thrive Landing Pages Plugin – Landing Page Template Sets
Thrive Landing Pages provides sets of templates that work together logically and use the same conversion-optimized design language to take your visitors from signup to purchase, product download and more.
(Thrive Landing Pages plugin lets you add conversion-optimized web pages to your website)
Thrive Landing Pages – Benefits
- Everything is hosted on your own WordPress site
- Save time and money creating beautiful-looking web pages for your WordPress web site
- 100% conversion-optimized web page templates
- No tech skills needed
- Works with any WordPress theme
Thrive Content Builder and Landing Pages not only lets you create beautiful content in your WordPress posts and pages, but you can also choose from dozens of professionally designed, conversion optimized page templates and fully customizable …
(Thrive Landing Pages provides sets of templates that work together logically and use the same conversion-optimized design language)
There are over 30 templates available, with more templates being worked on. In addition to the existing templates, the developers plan to release new web page templates for email lead generation, sales pages, training pages, personal branding pages, webinar pages and more.
Fully Customizable And Flexible Landing Page Template Sets
Normally, in order to have a fully customizable landing page template, you would need to either hire a web site developer to do the work, or learn web coding languages like HTML and CSS and figure out what to do yourself.
As Shane Melaugh, co-founder of Thrive Themes says …
“There are many ways to get a pre-designed page published quickly, but the problem comes with customization. Total design freedom requires either hiring web developers to do the work for you, or learn how to do it yourself, which involves learning how to mess around with code or use complicated editors. Customizable usually means complicated, expensive or time-consuming. So, you can either have something that is fast and easy to set up, or something that is customizable and flexible. But you couldn’t have both … until now! With Thrive Landing Pages you get the best of both worlds for building conversion-optimized web pages.”
Thrive Landing Pages gives you attractive pre-built web page templates that are fully optimized and ready to go, and complete design freedom that allows you to change or edit any aspect of your page template …
The landing page templates included with this plugin let you do the following:
- Edit text in any headline, button, bullet point, etc.
- Delete text, images or any other component of the landing page
- Replace all background images or colors
- Edit the color of links, buttons, text, etc.
- Select your own fonts
- Use your own images and graphics
- Modify the size of the content area
- Change the order of elements on your page
- Translate pages into different languages
- Add any kind of custom content anywhere in any of the pages
- Use pre-designed, customized pages, or create your own pages from scratch and save them as new web page templates.
(Change or customize anything on the page template)
Thrive Lightbox Plugin – Transform Your Site Into A Marketing Machine
The Thrive plugin combo also includes Thrive Lightbox, which lets you add fully configurable 2-step opt-in forms and animated elements to your website …
(Add lead capture forms and events to your pages with Thrive Lightbox)
Two-Step Opt-in Forms
A two-step opt-in process can help improve your conversion rates. When visitors click on an image or button they are presented with your opt-in form …
(When visitors click on the button, they are presented with an opt-in form)
Thrive Lightbox Event Manager
An “event” consists of a trigger and an action. You can make opt-in forms appear when your visitor clicks or hovers their mouse over a button or an image, or when someone reaches a certain point on the page. You can also use the Event Manager to animate images on your pages, using various animation effects (e.g. zoom in from the page center, slide in from left to right, rotate, etc.
(Set up and manage events on your pages with the Thrive Lightbox plugin)
A lightbox and event is created automatically for your landing pages, but you also have complete control over all events, triggers and design.
Below are just a few of the testimonials plugin customers have written about Thrive Content Builder:
”Wow! This is just getting better & better. This plugin is making my websites look so professional. Keep up the great work and thank you for the new features. Ladonna Ragalin”
”Great stuff! I am really impressed by all the new additions. You guys have shown a true commitment to making these themes and the Content Builder awesome. Michael Johnson”
Thrive Content Builder – Useful Tips
Thrive Content Builder works with any WordPress theme, not just with the Thrive Landing Pages plugin. You cannot use Thrive Content Builder to edit content on pages or posts that were not created using the plugin.
You can add WordPress short codes inside Thrive Content Builder or Thrive Landing Pages and they will be displayed correctly on the front end.
Thrive Lightbox works with any content built using Thrive Content Builder.
Thrive Content and Landing Page Builder comes with free updates, new landing templates and upcoming features. The Thrive team is constantly working on adding new features and improving existing ones.
Thrive products are very well-supported, and users get lifetime upgrades, plus one year unlimited support with their purchase, backed by a no-risk, 30 day, 100% refund guarantee.
This is an exciting product for WordPress users that will just keep getting better.
At the time of writing, the pricing information shown below includes all three components described above (Thrive Content Builder, Thrive Landing Pages & Thrive Lightbox):
- Single Site Licensing – This allows you to activate the plugin on a single domain. Includes full feature set, unlimited updates and 1 year of unlimited support. Price = $59.00.
- Unlimited Sites Edition – This enables you to run the plugin on unlimited domains that you own. Includes full feature set, unlimited updates and 1 year of unlimited support. Price = $87.00.
- Agency Licensing – Use on your websites & on client domains. Includes access to Thrive Content Builder, plus all Thrive Themes & Thrive Plugins. Price = $247.00 per year.
Please Note: Price details for the Thrive Content Builder software can vary, depending on whether there are any promotions or limited-time specials being offered. The price shown above was correct at the time this review was written. This may not be the actual pricing charged by the software seller when you visit the plugin site and there may be additional upsells or one-time offers after you’ve purchased.
Check the plugin’s website for the current price here:
The Thrive Content Builder and Landing Pages plugin developers emphatically maintain that the plugin’s architecture gives you the “best of both worlds,” and help bring back the “joy of creating content.”
On the one hand, you have the time-saving benefits of ready-made page elements and beautiful, conversion-optimized template sets that help to make designing your content faster, and on the other hand, you have 100% control over your design process and the freedom to change anything and everything on your web page, using the plugin’s visual content editor, that lets you see how the content you are working on will look after publishing.
For ”how to” videos of the plugin, including installation instructions and tutorials, FAQs, support help desk, contact details and more, visit the Thrive plugins website.
Install This Plugin …
If you want to edit something, just click on the element and start editing. If you want to change something, you’ll see the change happen immediately. If you want to move something, all you have to do is simply drag it and drop it into its new position. There are no overly complicated steps involved.
If you want to transform and improve your web site and create awesome sales pages and engaging content, this plugin delivers an incredible conversion-boosting package with a single, inexpensive plugin.
For full details, check out the plugin here: