WordPress has evolved from being just a simple blogging tool to a tool being used to design all types of web pages – marketing pages, product showcase pages, local business pages, etc.
Whatever you can think of, someone is probably already building it using WordPress!
In this article you will discover how to create beautiful page layouts with drag & drop ease in WordPress websites.
Drag And Drop Content Editors For WordPress
Does The WordPress Visual Content Editor Still Meet All Of Your Page Design Needs?
Using the built-in WordPress editor to build or edit sophisticated layouts can be quite difficult, especially for non-technical users.
(The WordPress visual content editor is great for adding, formatting and editing “linear” text and images, but adding more complex page elements can be challenging!)
For example, let’s say you want to create something like the content shown below …
To create the above layout, users would normally need to add shortcodes to the content for each element they want to display to visitors …
Normally, this is not really an issue … unless you want to change some part of the layout (for example, move some of the content from box 3 into box 2, or change the background color in a box from bright red to light green. Then, you’re stuck having to mess around with page code or html.
The WordPress visual editor is supposed to provide non-technical users with an easy-to-use WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) content editor, but as you can see, if you are trying to add complex page elements, what you see in the WordPress visual editor may not be the same as what you get …
(“What You See” isn’t always “What You Get” … unless you can visualize code!)
In some situations, users may even be better off working with the source html itself instead of the visual editor when trying to create non-linear layouts …
Even though WordPress is the most user-friendly CMS platform available, this makes it difficult for WordPress site owners with no knowledge of HTML or CSS to have full control of their own content.
The fundamental challenge with having to use shortcodes and HTML to create content with WordPress can be summarized as follows:
1) Speed – How long will it take to create a page using this editor?
2) Abstraction – How closely does the content in the editor resemble the “front end” content when you are creating or editing a page?
As you can see from the above image, what you see in the editor looks nothing like what you see in the front end. This means that you have to mentally translate what the content will look like when working with sophisticated layouts. Other solutions require several steps before you can start configuring your page layout, or endlessly switching tabs and performing tweaks and updates to see how your content is progressing, which can impact how quickly you can create your content, as you wait for the new content to refresh.
A number of WordPress developers have come up with various solutions with the aim of addressing this issue. Some of these alternative solutions range from stand alone WordPress plugins you can add to your site that add new functionality to the editor, to WP themes that come with built-in features like drag and drop editing …
(WordPress “drag and drop” editors aim to make creating complex layouts easier!)
Some solutions include so many page-building features, that users need to learn how to work with complicated-looking front end editors …
Many of these editors work fine, but they don’t really address the fundamental challenge of using shortcodes and HTML as described earlier. Creating and adding sophisticated content elements on a web page becomes overly complicated, involves multiple steps and doesn’t match what users expect to see on the “front end.”
If you want your page content to look “just right” quickly, this can become really frustrating.
Ask yourself this …
If there were no technical constraints, how would you like your content editor to function?
Now that you’ve asked this question, imagine the following …
- You see something in the content that needs to be changed so you, simply click on the content and start writing. Your content has been instantly edited.
- You can just drag and drop elements around the page, and the page looks exactly as it will appear on the front end without having to mentally abstract from code.
- You have an idea for an item of content that you would like to add, so you immediately begin typing, and you build your page as you go, with no delays, no switching of tab browsers, and without waiting for new pages to refresh.
Would this not be the ideal way to build content for your website? Just click-to-edit and drag and drop elements around the pages and posts?
(Imagine being able to create complex web pages in real-time for your web content with no technical skills required!)
If you are ready to change the way you create content in WordPress site, then here is a plugin that you may want to consider using …
Thrive Content Builder – Create Stunning Content Faster And Beautiful Layouts With Drag & Drop Ease In WordPress
Thrive Content Builder is a truly intuitive WordPress click-to-edit drag-and-drop content creation plugin.
Thrive Content Builder provides you with a new and incredibly easy way to speed up the process of adding content to your WordPress website.
Once installed, Thrive Content Builder adds a visual content editor and an item menu that lets you click, then drag and drop elements to your page …
(Thrive Content Builder adds a new visual editor to WordPress)
The plugin is actually a combination of the Thrive Content Builder and Thrive Landing Pages plugins rolled into one, plus an additional plugin feature called Thrive Lightbox.
We’ll take an in-depth look at each of the above plugins and how these features work seamlessly together to help you transform and improve your website and create amazing marketing pages, streamlined landing pages and engaging content.
Thrive Content Builder – Click-To-Edit Drag & Drop Content Builder Plugin For WordPress
You can easily add complex design layouts to your web pages using drag and drop elements …
Every aspect of your page can be created by ”clicking-to-edit” and “dragging and dropping” things around the page …
Once elements have been positioned on a page, you can then continue to edit these without going through additional steps or switching tabs …
You can also work inside beautiful landing pages and easily edit these …
Thrive Content Builder is simple, easy to use, and ideal for all WordPress users at all levels. In fact, designing web pages and working on content with Thrive Content Builder and Landing Pages installed is so effortlessly simple, that the developers guarantee that you will never look back once you start using it
For more details about this plugin go here: Thrive Content Builder
Thrive Content Builder and Thrive Landing Pages were created by the same team that developed Thrive Leads, another excellent plugin we’ve previously reviewed on this site.
See this page to read more about this plugin:
Benefits Of Using Thrive Content Builder And Landing Pages Plugin
Here are just some of the many benefits and advantages of using Thrive Content Builder to speed up content creation:
Fast And Easy To Install And Set Up. Be Up And Running In Minutes.
Thrive Content Builder is very easy to install. Simply upload the plugin file to your Plugin folder via your admin user login and activate.
Real-Time Content Content Editing
Thrive Content Builder is really simple and intuitive to use and lets you create and edit content in real-time.
A Truly Visual Content Builder
With Thrive Content Builder installed, what you see on the “backend” as you work within the editor – typefaces, elements, page layouts, etc. is exactly what you get on the front end of your site.
Additional plugin benefits include:
- Eye-Catching Layouts With Drag-And-Drop Ease: Create any type of layout you can imagine with drag and drop ease.
- Customizable Elements Included: With Thrive Content Builder you not only get an exciting and an easy-to-use click-to-edit content builder, but the plugin also includes a very decent collection of customizable design elements that you can customizable and use on your pages without using shortcodes, for e.g.: columns, star ratings for review pages, testimonials, credit card icons, etc.
- Ideal For Non-Technical Users: Not having to wait for for your updated content to load frees up your attention and allows you to be more focused while you build or edit your content or click through multiple steps to get what you want done.
(Easily insert, edit and customize web page elements like testimonial boxes, content toggle, table of contents builder, section dividers, responsive video embeds, etc.)
Thrive Content Builder Features
Thrive Content Builder provides web site owners many features. Here are just a few:
- Built-In Editor Functionality Is Still Available: You have all of the built-in content editing options that you are used to (e.g. bold formatting, paragraph centering, font sizes, etc.),
- Drag And Drop Multi-Style Elements: The plugin makes a “drag and drop” list of elements available on your post or page screen when creating or editing content.
- Conversion-Boosting Elements: The plugin provides you with a range of attention-grabbing and customizable elements that will help increase the effectiveness of your sales pages, including buttons and call-to-action elements, testimonials, and guarantees. In addition to customization options, multiple design options are also available for various elements.
- Responsive Element Design: Add mobile-friendly elements like column layouts, boxes, section dividers, e.g. which will display correctly on different-sized screens.
- Add Animation To Your Web Pages: Thrive Content Builder’s Event Manager feature lets you insert animated page elements, trigger lightboxes and more!
(Add Animated Elements To Your Web Pages)
Thrive Landing Pages Plugin – Landing Page Templates
Thrive Landing Pages provides sets of templates that work together logically and use the same conversion-optimized design language to take your visitors all the way from signup to purchase, product download and more.
(Thrive Landing Pages lets you easily add conversion-optimized pages to your web site)
Thrive Landing Pages Plugin – Benefits
- Hosted on your own WordPress site
- Save time creating pages for your website
- 100% conversion-optimized page templates
- No tech skills required
- Works with any WordPress theme
Thrive Content Builder and Landing Pages not only lets you create beautiful content in your WordPress posts and pages, but you can also choose from dozens of beautifully designed, page templates that are conversion-optimized and fully customizable …
(Thrive Landing Pages provides sets of templates that work together logically and use the same conversion-optimized design language)
There are currently 30+ templates available, with more templates scheduled for future release. In addition to the available templates, the developers plan to release new page templates for email lead generation, sales pages, lesson pages, personal branding pages, webinar pages and more.
Completely Customizable And Flexible Landing Page Template
Normally, in order to have a fully customizable landing page template, you would need to either pay a web designer to do the work, or learn how to code web pages and figure out how to edit the page code yourself.
As Shane Melaugh, co-founder of Thrive Themes says …
“There are many ways to get a pre-designed page published quickly, but the problem comes with customization. Total design freedom requires either hiring web developers to do the work for you, or learn how to do it yourself, which involves learning how to code or use overly complicated editors. Customizable usually means complicated, expensive or time-consuming. So, you can either have something that is fast and easy to set up, or something that is customizable and flexible. But you couldn’t have both … until now! With Thrive Landing Pages you get the best of both worlds for building conversion-optimized web pages.”
Thrive Landing Pages gives you beautiful pre-built pages that are fully optimized and ready to go, and complete design freedom that allows you to change and customize anything on your page …
The landing page template sets included with this plugin let you do the following:
- Modify text in any bullet point, headline, button, etc.
- Remove text, images or any other component of the landing page
- Replace all background images and edit colour
- Change the color of links, buttons, text, etc.
- Use your own fonts
- Use your own images
- Edit the size of the content area
- Change the order of web page elements
- Translate pages into different languages
- Add custom content anywhere in the pages
- Start with a blank page and create your own page templates, or even build your own custom landing pages library.
(Change and customize any element of your page)
Thrive Lightbox Plugin – Transform Your Web Site Into A Powerful Marketing Machine
The Thrive plugin combo includes the Thrive Lightbox plugin, which lets you add fully customizable 2-step opt-in forms and animated objects to your site …
(Add lead capture forms and animated elements to your WordPress site with Thrive Lightbox)
2-Step Opt-in Forms
A 2-step opt-in process can improve your conversion rates. When visitors click on a button or image they are presented with your opt-in form …
(Capture more leads and subscribers with a 2-step opt-in process)
An “event” consists of a trigger and an action. You can make an opt-in form appear when your visitor clicks or hovers over a button or an image, or when someone scrolls down to a certain point on the page. You can also use the Event Manager to animate attention-getting elements on your page, using various animation effects (e.g. fade out, slide in from bottom to top, roll out, etc.
(Set up and manage events on your pages with Thrive Lightbox)
A lightbox and event is created automatically for your landing pages, but you also have complete control over the events, triggers and design.
Here are a couple of the testimonials that plugin customers have provided for Thrive Content Builder:
“I have had nothing but the best experience imaginable with this tool since I purchased it. This is by far one of, if not the best plug-in I have purchase to date and it has definitely made working with WordPress a whole new experience. Jim Bond”
”Great stuff! I am really impressed by all the new additions. You guys have shown a true commitment to making these themes and the Content Builder awesome. Michael Johnson”
Thrive Content Builder works with any WordPress theme, not just with the Thrive Landing Pages plugin. You cannot use Thrive Content Builder to edit content on pages or posts that were not created using the plugin.
You can add shortcodes inside the Content Builder or Landing Pages plugin and they will be displayed correctly when published.
Thrive Lightbox works with any content built with Thrive Content Builder.
Thrive Content Builder Plugin Support
Thrive Content Builder and Landing Pages comes with free updates, new landing pages and upcoming features. The Thrive team is constantly working on adding new features and improving existing ones.
Thrive products are very well-supported, and users get unlimited updates, plus one year unlimited support with their purchase, backed by a no-risk, 30 day, complete refund guarantee.
This is an exciting product for WordPress users that just keeps getting better.
At the time of writing, the pricing information shown below includes all three components described above (Thrive Content Builder, Thrive Landing Pages & Thrive Lightbox):
- Single Site License Edition – This enables you to configure the plugin on a single domain. Includes full feature set, unlimited updates and 1 year of unlimited support. Price = $59.00.
- Unlimited Sites License – This option enables you to activate the plugin on unlimited websites that you personally own. Includes full feature set, unlimited updates and 1 year of unlimited support. Cost = $87.00.
- Agency Licensing – This edition lets you set up the plugin on all of your own sites and any client web sites. Includes access to Thrive Content Builder, plus all Thrive Themes & Thrive Plugins. Cost = $247.00 per year.
Note: Pricing details of Thrive Content Builder depends on whether there are any promotions or limited-time specials being offered. The pricing shown above was current at the time this content was written. This may or may not be the actual price charged by the plugin seller when you visit the plugin website and there may be additional upsells or one-time offers after your purchase.
Check the plugin’s website for current pricing details:
The Thrive Content Builder and Landing Pages plugin developers emphatically maintain that the plugin’s architecture gives you the “best of both worlds,” and help bring back the “joy of creating content.”
On the one hand, you have time-saving features like ready-made web page elements and beautiful, conversion-optimized template sets that help to speed up your content creation, and on the other hand, you also have 100% control over your design process and the ability to change everything on your page, using the plugin’s visual content editor, that allows you to see how the content you are working on will look after being published.
For demo videos showing plugin usage, including help documentation and tutorials, FAQs, support help desk, contact details and more, visit the Thrive website.
The Bottom Line …
If you want to edit something, simply click on the element and start editing. If you want to change something, do it, and you will see the change happen instantly. If you want to move something, you drag it and drop it into its new position. There are no complicated steps involved.
If you want to transform and improve your website and create amazing marketing pages, streamlined landing pages and engaging content, this plugin delivers an incredible conversion-boosting package with a single, inexpensive plugin.
For full details, check out the plugin here: