WordPress has evolved from being just a simple blogging tool to a tool that can be used to design all types of web pages – direct sales pages, product showcase pages, business pages, etc.
Whatever you can think of, somewhere around the world someone is probably already building it with WordPress!
In this article you will learn how to create beautiful page layouts with drag & drop ease in WordPress.
Drag & Drop Content Editors For WordPress
Is The Default WordPress Editor Meeting All Of Your Content Creation Needs?
With so many advancements that WordPress has undergone in recent years, many WordPress developers and users feel that using the built-in WordPress WYSIWYG content editor to create or edit complex layouts can sometimes be challenging.
(The default WordPress WYSIWYG editor is great for adding, formatting and editing conventional text and media, but adding complex layouts can be challenging!)
For example, let’s say you want to create something like the layout shown below …
To add the above to your content would require typing something like this into the default WordPress visual editor …
Generally, this is not really an issue … unless you want to reconfigure your layout (for example, move part of the content from box 1 into box 2, or change the background color inside box 3 from bright red to maroon. Then, you’re stuck having to mess around with code.
The WordPress content editor is supposed to provide users with an easy-to-use WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) content editor, but as you can see, if you are trying to create complex content elements, what you see on your editor screen may not be what you get …
(“What You See” isn’t always “What You Get” … unless you can visualize code!)
In some instances, you could be better off working with the source html itself instead of the visual editor when trying to build something other than simple page elements …
Even though WordPress is the most user-friendly CMS platform available, this makes it hard for non-technical website owners to have full control of their own content.
The fundamental problem about having to use HTML and shortcodes to create content in the default WordPress editor can be summarized by asking 2 questions:
1) Speed – How long will it take to create a page using this editor?
2) Abstraction – How closely does the content in the ”back end” resemble the “front end” content when you are creating or editing a page?
As you can see from the above screenshot, what you see in the back end does not look at all like what you see in the front end. This means that you need to abstract what the content will look like when working with complex layouts. Other solutions require multiple steps before you can start configuring your page layout, or endlessly going back and forth between tabs and performing tweaks and updates to see how your content is coming along, which can affect how fast you can create your content, as you wait for the updates to load.
Many WordPress developers have tried to come up with a range of solutions with the objective of making the visual editor easier. Some of these solutions range from WP plugins you can install on your site that add new functionality to the editor, to WP themes that provide built-in features like drag and drop editing …
(WordPress “drag and drop” editors aim to make creating complex layouts easier!)
Some solutions end up requiring so many complex page design features, that users end up with complicated-looking front end editors …
Many of these alternative solutions work, but they still fail to address the fundamental problem with using shortcodes and HTML as described earlier. Adding and editing sophisticated content elements on a web page becomes overly complicated, involves multiple steps and doesn’t match what users expect to see on the “front end.”
If you want to create or edit complex page layouts quickly, this can become quite frustrating.
Ask yourself this …
If there were no technical constraints, how would you like your web content editor to behave?
Now that you’ve asked this question, visualize the following …
- You look at your content and if you see something that needs correction, simply click on the content and start changing it. Your content has been instantly edited.
- You can just drag and drop items on the page, and the page looks exactly as it will appear on the front end without having to mentally visualize any HTML or shortcodes.
- You have an idea for an item of content you would like to create, so you immediately start typing, and your web page gets built as you go, without delays, no switching tabs, and no waiting for web pages to resave and reload.
Would this not be the ideal way to create content for your WordPress website? Just click-to-edit and drag and drop elements around your page?
(Imagine being able to create complex page layouts quickly for your web content with no technical skills required!)
If you are ready to change the way you create content in WordPress site, then here is a plugin that you may want to consider using …
Thrive Content Builder
Thrive Content Builder is a ground-breaking plugin for WordPress that gives you total control over every aspect of your content layout with a powerful click-to-edit and drag and drop content editor.
The Thrive Content Builder plugin provides WordPress users with a new and exciting way to speed up the process of creating content on.
Once installed, Thrive Content Builder adds a visual content editor with a menu that lets you click, then drag and drop design elements on your page …
(Thrive Content Builder adds a new editor to your WordPress site)
The Thrive Content Builder And Landing Pages plugin is actually a combination of the Thrive Content Builder and Thrive Landing Pages plugins rolled into one, plus an additional plugin feature called Thrive Lightbox.
In this article we’ll take an in-depth look at all of the above and how these features work seamlessly together to help you easily transform and improve your website and create awesome sales pages and engaging content.
Thrive Content Builder Plugin
With this plugin installed easily add content to your web pages and build complex page layouts using drag and drop elements …
Every aspect of your page can be designed with ”click-to-edit” and “drag and drop” ease …
Once elements have been positioned on a page, you can continue to further edit or customize them without going through multiple steps or complicated settings windows …
You can also create stunning landing pages that can also be easily customized …
Thrive Content and Page Builder is simple, easy to use, and ideal for all WordPress users at all levels. In fact, working on content with Thrive Content and Landing Page Builder installed is so amazingly simple, that the developers warn that once you start using it, you’ll never look back!
For more details, visit the plugin site here: Thrive Content Builder
The integrated Thrive Content Builder and Landing Pages plugin was created by the same team that developed Thrive Leads, another excellent plugin for WordPress we’ve previously written about on this site.
See this article to learn more about using the plugin:
Here we have listed just some of the benefits and advantages of using Thrive Content Builder to speed up content creation:
Be Up And Running In Minutes
Thrive Content Builder is really easy to install. Simply upload it to your Plugins folder via your dashboard and activate.
Edit Content In Real Time
Thrive Content Builder is really simple to use and lets you create, edit and add content right inside your pages in real-time.
What You See Is Truly What You Get
With Thrive Content Builder installed, what you see on the “back end” as you work within the editor – fonts, elements, layouts, etc. is exactly what you get on the front end of your site.
Additional plugin benefits include:
- Eye-Catching Web Page Layouts With Drag And Drop Ease: Create any type of layout you can imagine with drag and drop ease.
- Add Customizable Elements With No Shortcodes Involved: With Thrive Content Builder you not only get a drag and drop content builder, but the plugin also includes a collection of functional and attractive web design elements that you can use on your pages without using short codes, such as tabbed content, styled lists, dividers, code insert boxes, etc.
- Distraction-Free Content Creation: Not having to constantly switch tabs as you edit content and then wait for the updated content to reload frees up your attention and allows you to be more focused while you build or edit your content or click through multiple steps to get what you need done.
(Insert, edit and customize web page elements like testimonials, content toggle, borderless content, dividers, custom HTML and CSS, etc.)
Thrive Content Builder offers WP users many features. Below we have listed just some of those features:
- All Content Editor Functionality Is Preserved: You have access to all of the regular text editing options that you are used to (e.g. underlines, paragraph centering, headings, etc.),
- Drag And Drop Elements: The plugin adds a “drag and drop” table of multi-style elements to your post or page screen for creating and editing content.
- Conversion-Boosting Elements: The plugin includes a range of eye-catching and customizable elements that will help increase your sales conversions, including buttons and call-to-action elements, testimonial boxes, and guarantee forms. In addition to customization options, various elements also offer multiple design options.
- Responsive Element Design: Add mobile-friendly elements like column layouts, boxes, section dividers, e.g. which will display great on different-sized screens.
- Add Animation Events To Your Pages: The plugin’s Event Manager feature lets you create animated page content, trigger lightboxes and more!
(Add Animated Elements To Your Web Pages)
Thrive Landing Pages Plugin – Landing Page Sets
Thrive Landing Pages provides sets of templates that work together logically and use the same conversion-optimized design language to take your visitors from signup to purchase, product download and more.
(Thrive Landing Pages plugin lets you easily add conversion-optimized web pages to your web site)
Thrive Landing Pages – Benefits
- Everything is hosted on your own WordPress site
- Save time and money creating and customizing pages for your site
- 100% conversion-optimized landing page templates
- No coding skills required
- Works with all WordPress themes
Thrive Content and Page Builder not only can be used to create beautiful-looking content in your WordPress posts and pages, but you can also choose from dozens of beautifully designed, conversion optimized page templates and fully customizable …
(Landing page template sets that work together logically and use the same conversion-optimized design language)
There are currently over 30 templates available, with more templates scheduled for future release. In addition to the templates that are currently available, the developers plan to release new templates for email lead generation, sales pages, lesson pages, personal branding pages, webinar pages and more.
Completely Customizable And Flexible Landing Page Template Sets
Normally, in order to have a completely customizable landing page template, you would need to either pay a web site designer to do the work, or learn web coding languages like HTML and CSS and figure out how to edit the page code yourself.
As Shane Melaugh, co-founder of Thrive Themes says …
“There are many ways to get a pre-designed page published quickly, but the problem comes with customization. Total design freedom requires either hiring web developers to do the work for you, or learn how to do it yourself, which involves learning how to code or use complex editors. Customizable usually means complicated, expensive or time-consuming. So, you can either have something that is fast and easy to set up, or something that is customizable and flexible. But you couldn’t have both … until now! With Thrive Landing Pages you get the best of both worlds for building conversion-optimized web pages.”
Thrive Landing Pages gives you great-looking pre-designed page templates that are fully optimized and ready to go, and complete design freedom that lets you change and customize any element of your page …
The landing page templates included with this plugin let you do the following:
- Edit text in all headlines, bullet points, buttons, etc.
- Remove text, images or any other component of your landing page
- Replace any background images or colours
- Edit the color of buttons, links, text, etc.
- Use your own fonts
- Select your own images and graphics
- Edit the size of the content area
- Change the order of web page elements
- Translate pages into different languages
- Add custom content anywhere in the pages
- Use pre-designed, customized pages, or create your own landing pages from scratch and save them as new page templates.
(Change or edit any aspect of the page)
Thrive Lightbox Plugin – Transform Your WordPress Website Into A Powerful Marketing Machine
The Thrive plugin package includes the Thrive Lightbox plugin, which lets you add fully customizable 2-step opt-in forms and animated objects to your site …
(Add lead capture forms and animation to your pages with Thrive Lightbox)
Thrive Lighbox Two-Step Opt-in Forms
A 2-step opt-in process can help increase your conversion rates. Visitors click on an image or button, and then they are presented with your opt-in form …
(Capture more leads and subscribers with a 2-step opt-in process)
An “event” consists of a trigger and an action. You can make an opt-in form appear when when visitors click or hover over a button or graphic elements, or when someone reaches a certain point on the page. You can also use the Event Manager to animate images on your pages, using a range of effects (e.g. fade out, slide in from left to right, roll in, etc.
(Set up and manage events on your sales pages with the Thrive Lightbox plugin)
A lightbox and event is created automatically for your landing pages, but you also have complete control over events, triggers and design.
Feedback From Users
Here are a few of the testimonials customers have written about Thrive Content Builder:
“I have had nothing but the best experience imaginable with this tool since I purchased it. This is by far one of, if not the best plug-in I have purchase to date and it has definitely made working with WordPress a whole new experience. Jim Bond”
“I’m blown away by the plugin. Keep up the incredible, WordPress changing work, guys! Dean Phillips”
Thrive Content Builder works with any WordPress theme, not just with the Thrive Landing Pages plugin. Note, however, that you cannot use Thrive Content Builder to edit content that was not created with the plugin.
You can add WordPress shortcodes inside the Content Builder or Landing Pages plugin and they will display correctly when published.
Thrive Lightbox works with any content you build using Thrive Content Builder.
Thrive Landing Pages and Content Builder provides free updates, new landing templates and upcoming features. The plugin developers are constantly working on adding new features and improving existing ones.
Thrive plugins are very well-supported, and users get lifetime updates, plus one year unlimited support with their purchase, backed by a no-risk, 30 day, 100% money-back guarantee.
This is an exciting product for WordPress users that just keeps getting better.
At the time of writing, the pricing information shown below includes all three components described above (Thrive Content Builder, Thrive Landing Pages & Thrive Lightbox):
- Single Site Licensing – This option allows you to run the plugin on 1 web site only. Includes full feature set, unlimited updates and 1 year of unlimited support. Price = $59.00.
- Unlimited Sites License – This edition enables you to set up the plugin on unlimited websites that you own. It includes full feature set, unlimited updates and 1 year of unlimited support. Price = $87.00.
- Agency License Edition – This allows you to install the plugin on all of your own sites and all client sites. Pricing includes access to Thrive Content Builder, plus all Thrive Themes & Thrive Plugins. Cost = $247.00 per year.
Please Note: The price of the Thrive Content Builder plugin depends on whether there are any promotions or limited-time specials being offered. The pricing shown above was current when this review was published. This may not be the actual price charged by the product developer when you visit the product website and you may be shown additional upsells or one-time offers after you’ve purchased.
Check the plugin’s website for current pricing details:
Additional Plugin Information
The Thrive Landing Pages and Content Builder plugin developers repeatedly maintain that the plugin’s architecture gives you the “best of both worlds,” and help bring back the “joy of creating content.”
On the one hand, you have time-saving features like ready-made web page elements and beautiful, pre-designed template sets that help to make designing your content faster, and on the other hand, you have complete control over the design process and the ability to edit and customize anything and everything on your page, using the plugin’s visual content editor, that allows you to get things done without having to open multiple dialog boxes.
For a demo video of the plugin, including help documentation and tutorials, FAQs, customer helpdesk, contact details and more, visit the Thrive website.
We Highly Recommend This …
If you want to edit something, you just click on the element and start editing. If you want to change something, you’ll see the change happen instantly. If you want to move something, simply drag it and drop it into its new location. There are no additional steps involved.
If you want to transform and improve your web site and create awesome marketing pages and engaging content, Thrive Content Builder delivers an incredible conversion-boosting package with a single, inexpensive plugin.
For full details, visit the plugin website here: