If your website isn’t compliant with laws intended to protect consumers, you’re breaking the law.
Being non-compliant not only puts you at risk of incurring financial costs, but also the cost to your reputation. Why risk your money and reputation, when you can protect yourself so easily and inexpensively?
In this post, we look at a simple and inexpensive WordPress solution that can help make your website fully compliant in minutes.
Is Your Website Legally Compliant?
As the cybersphere continues growing at breakneck speed and rules are constantly changing, it’s important to stay on top of what’s happening and to make sure that your website or blog remains legal, especially if your digital presence is an essential aspect of your business strategy.
If you are not compliant, you could also face a multitude of penalties, including fines, having your website shut down, even jail time!
At the very least, if you don’t make it clear to your visitors that your web properties comply with legal requirements and guidelines, trust and confidence in your business may be damaged.
(In addition to legal and regulatory compliance, almost all third-party websites require you to comply with their policies and guidelines!)
Disclaimer: We are not lawyers and we are not offering legal advice in this article.
The purpose of this article is to make you aware that:
- Your website may be subject to various legal requirements in accordance with mandatory laws that govern your business (some of which you may not even be aware of),
- The importance of being compliant with the terms of service of third-party providers whose products or services you are promoting or endorsing online, and
- There are solutions that can help your business become more compliant, such as the solution that we review in this article.
In this article, you will learn about a simple WordPress plugin that provides a total compliance and disclaimer solution for your web presence.
Compliance Bar – WordPress Legal Plugin
The Compliance Bar Plugin is a complete compliance & disclaimer solution for your digital presence …
Go here to learn more about this plugin: Compliance Bar
Here are just a few of the benefits of using Compliance Bar Plugin to instantly make your site compliant:
Quick And Simple To Install And Use. Be Up And Running In No Time.
Compliance Bar installs like any other WordPress plugin. Just upload the plugin file to your Plugins folder via your WordPress admin login and activate.
You can easily modify the pre-built legal templates inside the plugin from the settings menu using the WordPress visual editor.
Dedicated 24/7 Support
The plugin developers provide a dedicated support team to assist users with anything they need.
Additional benefits of the plugin include:
- Customized Templates: The plugin creates your legal pages in seconds and customizes them to your business and website.
- Video Training Manuals: Compliance Bar is not difficult to use - an entire library of training videos is provided.
- Use In Every Country: As long as you consult a qualified legal representative to make sure that the built-in legal page templates provided in the plugin are suitable and satisfactory for your business, country and website, you can use the plugin wherever your business is located.
- Can Be Used For All Website Purposes: If your site runs on WordPress, you can use the plugin for any website purpose. Just select the templates you want to include in your site and ignore any irrelevant pages.
Compliance Bar offers a number of features to WordPress users. Below we have listed just a few of these:
- Quick and simple to install and implement. Ready to use in very little time.
- Display Visually Appealing Icon Bar – Compliance Bar displays links to your compliance pages in the form of attractive icons that can be positioned on different locations in your pages. You can also upload your own icons.
- Display Sensitive Content – If your site contains content that may be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. content related to alcohol, ecigs, adult-related, etc.), you can display pop-ups that require users to accept your terms and disclaimers.
- EU User Cookie Compliance – If you do business in Europe or display your content to EU visitors, you must be aware of EU compliance laws. The plugin displays an attractive bar notifying users and covering your website from non-compliance.
- Record And Store IP Acceptance – Compliance Bar records the IP addresses of your visitors for reference, just in case a visitor accepts your terms or disclaimers and then claims they haven’t.
- Shortcode Driven – The plugin is integrated with shortcodes to automatically populate templates with your personal information. These shortcodes also allow you to place information anywhere on your site, (including the pop-ups).
- Compatible With Mobile Devices – Compliance Bar has settings for displaying on mobile devices and tablets and can display mobile optimized icons automatically based on visitor web browsers.
Using Compliance Bar
After installing and activating the Compliance Bar plugin, a section where the plugin’s settings can be configured is added to your WP dashboard.
Let’s review these briefly …
There are a number of default categories in this area where your business information can be entered (e.g. “Website URL,” “Support Email,” “Location Details,” “Niche Area,” etc.). Not all categories are required, but some are (e.g. “Business Name,” “Company Phone Number,” etc.)
(Compliance Bar Plugin User Profile Page – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
The Compliance Bar Plugin uses shortcodes to insert the information from your User Profile inside your legal page templates …
(Compliance Bar User Profile Screen: Shortcodes – Image source: plugin documentation)
Once the minimum required data has been input into the plugin settings fields, you can then access the other sections of the plugin.
The “Compliance Pages” screen lists all of the compliance page templates …
(Compliance Bar: Legal Pages – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Last time we checked the Compliance Bar plugin website, there were over 22 compliance templates available for complying with online business laws and regulations:
- About Us
- AdSense Disclaimer
- Affiliate Agreements
- Affiliate Disclosure
- Amazon Affiliate Disclaimer
- Anti-Spam Policy
- Contact Us
- Copyright/DCMA Notice
- Double Dart Cookies
- Earnings Disclaimer
- External Links Policy
- FTC Statement
- Legal Disclaimer
- Linking Policy
- Medical Disclaimer
- Returns/Refund Policy
- Terms & Conditions
- Testimonial Disclosure
- XXX Disclosure
You can create compliance pages for your website quite easily by simply selecting checkboxes and clicking ”Save” on the “Create Pages” screen …
(Compliance Bar: Legal Templates – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Your legal pages will then be created and added to the “Pages” section of your WordPress site.
Compliance Bar Icons
The plugin comes with a default set of attractive icons for referencing your legal pages …
The icons can be changed. You can purchase an additional set of icons from the plugin developer, or create/upload your own to match the style of your site’s design …
(Compliance Bar: Legal Page Template Icons – Image source: plugin documentation)
Edit / Delete Legal Pages
You can easily customize and delete the compliance templates in the “Compliance Pages” screen, just as you would any other WordPress page …
(Compliance Bar: Edit Compliance Templates – Image source: plugin documentation)
- Customizing is recommended, as the pages contain generic content.
- The plugin indicates if it detects existing similar pages on your site (e.g. pages created before you installed the plugin).
The plugin offers various options to customize the Compliance Bar, including where to position the bar, displaying links or icon images, background colors and images, image size, selecting which pages to include an icon for in the Compliance Bar, whether or not to display the Compliance bar on your front page, which pages the Compliance Bar will display in, mobile settings, and more …
(Compliance Bar Screen: Create Bar – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
- You can create more than one Compliance Bar to display different disclaimers on different pages, or to cover various uses in other sections of your website.
- The plugin lets you display a Compliance Bar on the main page of your site, even if you are using particular theme frameworks (like Genesis, Thesis or WooThemes), where the home page is specifically configured through the theme settings as a built-in template, and not as a “regular” page.
- Due to the smaller size of mobile devices, you can only select up to a certain number of page icons to display if you turn Mobile Settings “on.”
Once you have specified your Compliance Bar settings, it will display links to your compliance pages through dynamic icon bar on your site …
You have full control over the location on your pages where you would like your compliance icons to be featured …
If you plan to publish content that should be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. content related to alcohol, tobacco, adult, etc.), the plugin can display popups that require users to accept your terms or disclaimers.
The “Create Pop Up” screen gives you complete control over the settings and wordings of your pop ups …
(Pop Ups Section: Create Pop Up – Image source: plugin documentation)
You can create more than one Pop Up displaying on different pages, or to cover various uses throughout your site …
You can also specify a delay time to prevent Pop Ups from displaying immediately, set cookie durations to prevent Pop Ups from appearing again within a specific time period, and store the IP addresses of visitors who accept your terms and disclaimers for future reference …
(Pop Ups Screen: IP Log Details – Image source: plugin documentation)
If your business is based in Europe or display your content to visitors in the EU, you need to be aware of EU compliance laws …
The plugin lets you customize the settings for compliance with EU Cookies requirements, including the wording of your notification message and link text in the “EU Cookies” area …
(EU Cookies Section: Manage Settings – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Compliance Bar has a non-intrusive way of notifying your visitors and covering you from non-compliance.
The “Page Templates” area, lists all of your legal pages and shortcodes, and lets you modify their content …
The “General Settings” tab, lets you access general information, such as promoting and sharing the plugin and getting plugin update notifications …
Below are just a few of the testimonials that users have written about Compliance Bar:
”WOW” Shon Chris – Director (JV Peer Group)
”If you are like me, you maybe have quite a few WordPress sites, all needing attention and most importantly, all needing to be on the right side of the law! I’ve tried several legal pages plugins and in pretty much every case, they let me down. They simply cause more work than they solve.To me, the answer should be simple. It should work and it should let me get on with building my site. After all, I know I NEED to do this stuff, but hey, I don’t really WANT to! So, for me, I don’t want those plugins that cause more work than they solve. Simple eh? Well now it is because Anton & John have just created this baby that is the answer to my needs. The Compliance Bar Plugin does what I need it to do then lets me get on with my empire building…Perfect!” Tony Grant (Portfolio Sports)
Below are a few useful ways you can use The Compliance Bar Plugin:
- Display compliance icons on specific pages of your website only.
- Minimize refund disputes by clearly spelling out refund terms before customers purchase.
- If you have content for adult readers on your site, you can force visitors to click to confirm that they are of legal age to view your content.
Compliance Bar provides users with dedicated support to help you with anything you need. You also get access to full video training manuals.
Additionally, your purchase is backed by a no-risk, 30 day, 200% money-back guarantee. If your edition of Compliance Bar does not work within 30 days of purchase and it cannot be fixed within 48 hrs (M – F), your money will be refunded in double.
- Single – Install the plugin on one of your own sites. Price = $47 (Normally $127)
- Business License – Can be installed on up to twenty-five of your own sites. Price = $67.00 (Normally $197).
- Professional License – Can be installed on multiple of your own domains. Install the plugin on any client site for payment or as part of a paid service. Cost = $97.00.
Note: Pricing details of the Compliance Bar plugin depends on whether there are any promotions or limited-time specials being offered. The above reflects the current pricing at the time this content was published. This may not be the actual pricing set by the software developer when you visit the plugin website and you may be shown additional upsells or one-time offers after your purchase.
Check the plugin’s website for the current pricing details: Compliance Bar Plugin – Compliance Plugin For WordPress
Additional Plugin Info
Legal Pages Reviewed By Lawyers – The plugin developers assure users on their website that all legal page templates have already been reviewed and approved by a leading lawyer. Nonetheless, we strongly recommend that you get advice from a qualified legal expert in your area for your own peace of mind.
For ”how-to” videos showing plugin usage, including help documentation and tutorials, FAQs, support help desk, contact details and more, visit the Compliance Bar website.
Download This Plugin
Compliance Bar is an easy-to-use, simple and cost-effective solution for WordPress websites and blogs. We recommend downloading and installing this WordPress plugin if you want immediate peace of mind and legal protection.
For full details, visit the plugin website here: Compliance Bar Plugin – Compliance Bar – WP Compliance Plugin
Legal Disclaimer: Once again, we are not lawyers and we cannot offer legal advice on our website. You must do your own due diligence and consult a legal expert about the best way to ensure that your website fully complies with all legal requirements wherever your business is based.
Additional WordPress Themes And Plugins:
Disclaimer: WordPress and its related trademarks are registered trademarks of Automattic, Inc. This site and the services and products offered on this site are not associated, affiliated, sponsored, or endorsed by WordPress, nor have they been tested, certified, or reviewed by WordPress. The owner, contributors and/or advertisers may derive financial benefit from sales of items linked to, advertised, or reviewed on this site.
Did you enjoy this tutorial? Please feel free to use the links below and share this article with other WordPress users.