Your website or blog needs to comply with a whole set of federal, state and even local laws and regulatory guidelines, many of which you may not be aware of.
Being non-compliant puts you at risk of suffering serious financial losses and the cost to your reputation. Why risk your money and reputation, when you can protect yourself so easily and inexpensively?
In this post, we look at a simple and inexpensive solution for WordPress users that can help make your website fully compliant just minutes.
Does Your Website Comply With All Legal Requirements?
As the digital business realm continues to grow at an extraordinary rate and rules constantly change, it’s vitally important that you stay informed about what’s happening and to make sure that your website remains compliant, especially if your online presence is an integral part of your overall business strategy.
Plus, you could also be inadvertently leaving yourself open and vulnerable to being slapped with a lawsuit.
At the very least, if your digital presence is not in compliance, visitors may lose trust and confidence in your business.
(In addition to legal and regulatory compliance, almost all third-party services require you to comply with their policies!)
Disclaimer: We are not lawyers and we cannot offer legal advice in this article.
The purpose of this article is to make you aware that:
- Your website could be subject to various legal requirements in accordance with federal, state or local laws and regulations that govern your business (some of which you may not even be aware of),
- The importance of maintaining compliance with the terms of service of third-party providers whose products or services you are promoting or endorsing online, and
- There are cost-effective plugins for WordPress website owners that can help your website become compliant, such as the solution that we discuss below.
In this article, we review a total compliance and disclaimer solution for a WordPress-based website.
Today We Review …
Table of Contents
- Compliance Bar – WordPress Compliance Plugin
Compliance Bar – WordPress Compliance Plugin
Compliance Bar is a simple and easy-to-install plugin for WordPress-driven sites containing over 20 customizable legal templates for your site …
Go here to learn more about the plugin: Compliance Bar
Compliance Bar Plugin Benefits
Here we have listed just a few of the benefits of using Compliance Bar Plugin to instantly make your website legally compliant:
Quick And Easy Installation
Compliance Bar Plugin installs just like every plugin. Just upload the plugin file to your Plugin folder via your administrator area and activate.
Compliance Page Templates Are Easy To Edit
Easily edit the default templates inside Compliance Bar from the settings menu using the WYSIWYG content editor.
Dedicated 24/7 Support
The plugin develop provides a dedicated plugin support team to help users with anything they need.
Additional benefits and advantages include:
- Customized Templates: The plugin will create your legal pages in seconds and customizes them to your business and website.
- Video Training Manuals: Compliance Bar is not difficult to use - an entire library of training videos is available.
- Use In All Countries: As long as you consult a qualified legal representative to make sure that the built-in legal templates provided with Compliance Bar are suitable and satisfactory for your business, country and website, you can use the plugin wherever you are located.
- Use On All WordPress Sites: As long as your website is driven by WordPress, you can use the plugin for all kinds of websites. Just select the templates you want to add to your site and ignore all other irrelevant pages.
Compliance Bar offers many unique features to site owners. Here are just a few of these:
- Quick and easy to install and set up. Ready to use in very little time.
- Display Attractive Icons – Display links to your legal pages in the form of attractive icons that can be positioned on different locations in your page. You can also upload your own icons.
- Show Restricted Content – If you plan to display content that should be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. content related to alcohol, tobacco, adult-related, etc.), you can display popups that require users to accept your terms and disclaimers.
- EU User Cookie Compliance – If your business is based in Europe or display your content to EU visitors, you must be aware of EU compliance requirements. The plugin displays an attractive bar notifying users and covering your website from non-compliance issues.
- Records And Stores IP Addresses – The plugin records the IP addresses of your visitors for reference, just in case someone accepts your terms or disclaimers and then claims they haven’t.
- Shortcode Driven – Compliance Bar is integrated with shortcodes to populate the templates with your personal information. These shortcodes also allow you to place information anywhere on your website, (even in the pop-ups).
- Works On All Mobile Devices – Compliance Bar has individual settings for displaying on mobile devices and tablets and can display mobile optimized icons automatically based on the web browser being used.
Using Compliance Bar Plugin
After installing and activating the Compliance Bar plugin, a section where the plugin’s settings can be configured will be added to your WP admin area.
Let’s go through these settings briefly …
There are a number of default categories in this area where you can input your business details into entered (e.g. “Contact Name,” “Registered Company Address,” “Company Phone Number,” “Refund Duration (Days),” etc.). Not all categories are required, but some are (e.g. “Contact Name,” “Company Phone Number,” etc.)
(Compliance Bar Plugin User Profile Screen – Image source: plugin documentation)
The Compliance Bar Plugin uses dynamic shortcodes to insert and display the information from your User Profile fields in your legal page templates …
(Compliance Bar User Profile Section: Shortcodes – Image source: plugin documentation)
Once the minimum required information has been input into the plugin settings fields, you can then access the other sections of the plugin.
The “Compliance Pages” section lists all of the legal pages …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Legal Page Templates – Image source: plugin documentation)
Here’s the complete list of legal templates made available by the Compliance Bar plugin last time we checked the site:
- About Us
- AdSense Disclaimer
- Affiliate Agreements
- Affiliate Disclosure Statement
- Amazon Affiliate Disclaimer
- Anti-Spam Policy
- Contact Us
- Copyright/DCMA Notice
- Double Dart Cookies
- Earnings Disclaimer
- External Links Policy
- FTC Statement
- Legal Disclaimer
- Linking Policy
- Medical Disclaimer
- Returns/Refund Policy
- Terms & Conditions
- Testimonial Disclosure
- Adult Content Disclosure
You can easily and quickly create legal pages for your blog or website simply by selecting checkboxes and clicking ”Save” on the “Create Pages” tab …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Compliance Templates – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
Your legal pages will then be created and added inside the “Pages” section of your WordPress site.
Compliance Bar Icons
The plugin is installed with a default set of icons for referencing your legal pages …
The icons can be changed. You can purchase an additional set of icons from the plugin developer, or create/upload your own to match the style of your theme …
(Compliance Bar: Compliance Template Icons – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Edit / Delete Compliance Templates
You can easily customize and delete the compliance disclaimer templates in the “Compliance Pages” section, just like any other page in WordPress …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Edit Compliance Pages – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
- Customizing is recommended, as the pages contain generic content.
- The plugin notifies you if it detects existing similar pages on your site (e.g. compliance pages created before you installed the plugin).
The plugin offers many options to customize the Compliance Bar, including where to position the bar, displaying links or icon images, background colors and images, image size, specifying which pages to include an icon for in the Compliance Bar, whether or not to display the Compliance bar on your home page, which pages the Compliance Bar will display in, mobile settings, and more …
(Compliance Bar Section: Create Bar – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
- You can create more than one Compliance Bar to display different disclaimers on different pages, or to cover different uses throughout your site.
- The plugin allows you to display the Compliance Bar on the front page of your site, even if you are using a specific WordPress theme framework (like Genesis, Thesis or Woo), where the home page is configured through the theme itself as a built-in template, and not as a normal “static” page.
- Due to the smaller size of mobile devices, there is a limit to the number of page icons you can display if you turn Mobile Settings “on.”
Once you have configured your Compliance Bar settings, it will display links to your compliance pages through dynamic icon bar on your site …
You have full control over the location on your pages where you would like to display the compliance bar …
If you plan to publish content that needs to be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. content related to alcohol, ecigs, dating, etc.), you can display popups that blocks access to users who do not accept your site’s terms or disclaimers.
The “Create Pop Up” screen gives you complete control over the settings and customization of your pop ups …
(Pop Ups Screen: Create Pop Up – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
You can create more than one Pop Up displaying on different pages, or to cover different uses throughout your website …
You can also specify a delay time if you don’t want a Pop Up to display as soon as visitors arrive, set cookie durations to prevent Pop Ups from displaying again within a specific time period, and even record the IP addresses of visitors who accept your terms and disclaimers for future reference …
(Pop Ups Section: IP Log Details – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
If your business is based in the EU or display your content to visitors in the EU, you need to be aware of EU Cookie law …
The plugin lets you manage the settings for compliance with EU Cookies requirements, including the wording of your notification message and link text in the “EU Cookies” section …
(EU Cookies Screen: Manage Settings – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
Compliance Bar has a non-intrusive way of notifying your visitors and covering you from non-compliance.
The “Page Templates” section, lists all of your compliance templates and shortcodes, and lets you edit the page content …
The “General Settings” section, gives you access to general information, such as promoting and sharing the plugin and getting plugin updates …
Here are just a few of the testimonials and feedback that customers have written about Compliance Bar:
”I got a chance to review the Compliance Bar plugin…WOW!! I have to say that its definitely one of the most NECESSARY, yet easiest to use plugin’s to hit the scene in a while. Very Solid Product. Great job Anton & team!” Shon Chris – Director (JV Peer Group)
”If you are like me, you maybe have quite a few WordPress sites, all needing attention and most importantly, all needing to be on the right side of the law! I’ve tried several legal pages plugins and in pretty much every case, they let me down. They simply cause more work than they solve.To me, the answer should be simple. It should work and it should let me get on with building my site. After all, I know I NEED to do this stuff, but hey, I don’t really WANT to! So, for me, I don’t want those plugins that cause more work than they solve. Simple eh? Well now it is because Anton & John have just created this baby that is the answer to my needs. The Compliance Bar Plugin does what I need it to do then lets me get on with my empire building…Perfect!” Tony Grant (Portfolio Sports)
Compliance Bar Plugin – Useful Tips
Here are a few extra ways to use The Compliance Bar Plugin:
- Display compliance icons on specific pages of your website only.
- Minimizing refund disputes by clearly spelling out your refund terms before purchase.
- If your site published content that is inappropriate for underaged viewers, you can force visitors to click to confirm that they are of legal age to view your content.
Compliance Bar provides users with a dedicated plugin support team to assist users with anything they need. Plugin users also get access to complete video training manuals.
Additionally, your purchase is backed by a no-risk, 30 day, 200% refund guarantee. If your edition of Compliance Bar does not work within 30 days of purchase and it cannot be fixed within 48 hours (M – F), the plugin developers will refund double your cost of purchasing.
- Single License Edition – Can be installed on one of your own domains. Price = $37 (Normally $127)
- Business – Install the plugin on twenty-five of your own domains. Price = $67.00 (Normally $197).
- Developer – Can be installed on multiple as many of your own domains as you like. Install the plugin on any client site as part of a paid service. Cost = $97.00.
Note: Pricing details of the Compliance Bar software depends on whether there are any promotions or limited-time specials being offered. When we last checked, the software sells for the prices shown above. This may or may not be the actual pricing set by the software developer when you visit the site and there may be additional upsells or one-time offers after you’ve purchased.
Check the plugin’s website for the current pricing information: Compliance Bar
Additional Plugin Information
Legal Templates Reviewed By Lawyers – The plugin developers assure users on their website that all legal templates have been reviewed and approved by a leading lawyer. Nonetheless, we highly recommend that you get legal advice from a qualified legal expert in your area to ensure that your site is fully compliant.
For a demo video of the plugin, including installation instructions and tutorials, FAQs, support help desk, contact details and more, visit the Compliance Bar website.
What We Recommend
Compliance Bar is an easy-to-use, simple and cost-effective solution for WordPress-driven sites. We recommend downloading and installing this WordPress plugin if you want immediate peace of mind and legal protection.
To learn more, check out the plugin here: Compliance Bar – Compliance Bar Plugin – Website Compliance Plugin For WordPress
Disclaimer: Once again, we are not lawyers and we offer no legal advice on this website. You must do your own due diligence and consult a legal expert about the best way of ensuring that your website is compliant with the law wherever your business is based.
Recommended Video Courses For WordPress Users
Learn how to set up an e-commerce store on your WordPress site using e-commerce platforms like WooCommerce and Easy Digital Downloads.
More info: Build An e-Commerce Store With WordPress
Recommended Video Courses For WordPress Users
Learn how to safely and automatically backup your WordPress files and database and how to easily restore your WordPress site if something were to happen.
More info: How To Back Up & Restore WordPress Sites
Recommended Video Courses For WordPress Users
Learn how to set up a forum for your visitors, prospects, customers, members, or affiliates using WordPress.
More info: How To Set Up A Forum On WordPress
Recommended Video Courses For WordPress Users
Learn how to optimize your WordPress site and improve your page loading speed.
More info: How To Optimize WordPress