Do you currently run or plan to run events that require bookings, such as seminars, group courses, not-for-profit fund-raisers, networking conferences, or even a large-scale event such as a music show, a sporting or religious event, or any kind of event where people need to register to attend?
Co-ordinating event sign-ups is a time-consuming process. You need to manage scheduling, available dates and spaces, attendee numbers, data processing, collecting payments and invoicing, confirmations and reservations, reminders and notifications, refunds and cancellations … perhaps even accommodating special needs and providing tickets to event attendees.
There are a number of advantages to setting up a web-based event registration system. It can streamline your business processes, save time and reduce expenses, help you easily reproduce previously-run events, give you more control, create a more enjoyable user experience and increase your sales.
The problem is that setting this up can be expensive.
The good news is that if you own a WordPress-powered site, you can download and install a very inexpensive and professional web-based event registration system.
Event Espresso – WordPress Event Registration And Ticketing Manager Plugin
The Event Espresso online event registration software lets you easily create an event and begin accepting registrations in just minutes.
(Set up multiple events and receive online registrations with Event Espresso)
Event Espresso is a feature-rich plugin that gives you full control over your event registration management process.
Create custom registration forms
You can employ multiple event registration strategies, from simple online registration and straight up selling tickets, to creating custom registration forms in order to better understand your participants, or integrating your event registration forms with social media and email marketing tools.
View detailed information about your event attendees
Important: At the time of writing this review, Event Espresso provides two different versions of their software: Event Espresso 3 and Event Espresso 4. The new Event Espresso 4 is fundamentally different than the older Event Espresso 3, as the software is being revamped using a different structure to allow for future growth. The EE 4 plugin software has different features, user interface, data structure, coding method and price. The company plans to eventually move completely to EE 4, so keep this in mind as you learn more about this plugin.
Learn more about the plugin here:
Here are just some of the many benefits and advantages of using Event Espresso to manage event registrations on your website or blog:
Hands-Free Event Registration Management
Event Espresso provides you with everything you need to turn your existing website or blog into an automated and fully featured event management website … from custom registration forms and automated emails, to seating limits, multiple price levels and discount codes, to printable tickets and even seating charts.
Increased Business Productivity
By using a web-based event registration system like Event Espresso, you save time and improve your business productivity by practically eliminating the need to process registrations and signups manually.
Basically, you are facilitating attendees to register by themselves.
Letting your participants to do the data entry frees you up from doing administration and lets you concentrate more of your energy on organizing a better event.
Full Control Over The User Experience
As you will see shortly, Event Espresso gives you more control over the event management process that you want your customers to experience.
Some additional plugin benefits include the following:
- Reduced Costs: Event Espresso gives you a very low cost online event registration management solution compared to other options or using a 3rd party service provider. The cost is kept to a minimum by using a model where users purchase the core plugin (which suits the needs of most users) and then purchase add-ons only when you need new features.
- Increased Sales: With Event Espresso you can accept new registrations outside traditional business hours. In addition, Event Espresso social sharing and marketing features and add ons (see below) let people who are interested in attending your event share your information with friends who may also be interested.
- Green Event Sign-Up Process: With Event Espresso, the event sign-up process can remain entirely in digital form, eliminating traditional paper consumption from tasks related to admin and record-keeping.
- Own Your Data. You control all the data you collect from your event participants.
Event Espresso Features
The Event Espresso plugin provides functionality to end-users through built-in features (these are included with the plugin) and additional features that you can buy for an additional cost, called add-ons.
Event Espresso offers many great built-in to website owners. Here are just a few of these:
- Quick and easy to install and set up. Ready to start using in no time.
- Multiple Ticket And Pricing Options. Event Espresso allows you to set up as many kinds of tickets as you need and set separate prices, maximum number of tickets, and more.
- Event Calendar. Customers can easily find your events and add these to their schedule using the WordPress calendar.
- Tax Admin & Reporting Options. Event Espresso 4 gives you a number of options to handle taxes for an event and report tax fee components to customers when purchasing tickets. You can administer taxes globally or on a ticket-by-ticket basis.
- Smart Single Page Checkout. The Event Espresso 4 checkout process is smart, fast and intuitive. Registrants are given the option to automatically duplicate the primary registrant’s information for any added attendees.
- Spam Protection. Prevent the risk of spammers and bot software programs creating fake registrations by using reCAPTCHA tools that confirm human activity.
- Mobile Ticketing Apps. The Event Espresso mobile registration system enables you to authenticate tickets, speed up in-venue registrations, set up multiple check-in “stations” and track all attendees.
- Event Check-In List. Generate an exportable list of attendees and check in those who have attended.
- Waiting Lists. Latecomers can join a waiting list if your event is sold out. Additionally, you can specify that wait-list members pay for their spots if you plan to expand capacity for the event.
- Private Notes On Contacts. Record observations about event registrants on their profile. Private notes helps you keep a record of when event registrants contacted you, your internal notes, and how you’ve assisted your contacts.
- Search Engine Friendly URLs. Keyword-rich URLs take advantage of your WordPress Permalinks configuration settings. “Pretty” permalinks that use relevant keywords add to the context of your content and improves your search rankings, helping you get a more targeted audience to your website.
- Your Organization Settings. you can configure your organization’s profile to display throughout Event Espresso and your WordPress themes. Organization information include: business name, address, city, state, country, zip/postal code, email address, phone number, tax number, business logo, Facebook URL, Twitter URL, LinkedIn URL, Pinterest profile URL, Google+ URL, Instagram URL.
- Bulk Upload Events. Event Espresso 4 provides a CSV-based importing capability that allows you to import bulk event data at once. You can export, edit and import details about events, datetimes, ticketing information, prices, custom registration questions, venues, terms, taxonomies, term relationships and more.
- Multiple Event Attendee. Event Espresso 4 allows one person or people to enroll multiple attendees simultaneously. Event managers control how many attendees are able to enrol in one registration by specifying either limits on ticket purchases per order, or per-ticket minimums and maximums.
- Registrant Records. Manage your registrant’s profile information and payment history and keep all of their information organized.
- Staff Management. Save time and stay organized by reusing staff profiles for multiple events or displaying their profile using a shortcode in your event description.
- Accurate Attendee Management. You have control of your participants’ details; who has enrolled, for what event and how much they’ve paid. With the attendee manager, you can get an overview of registered participants and their payment status, easily add/edit attendee records and payments, export an event attendee list to a CSV file for additional uses, send customized payment reminders and receipts and send messages to your customers individually or collectively.
Extra features include:
- Hooks, Actions & Filters. These allow developers to implement safer and more reliable customizations and extensions to the Event Espresso application that are 100% compatible with the WordPress software platform.
- Maintenance Mode. You can pause registration capabilities for normal site traffic whenever you need to make updates on your site. You can still work on the back-end of your site during maintenance mode.
- Autonomy, Flexibility And Value: Event Espresso states on their website that their mission is to “empower business and organization leaders with the event registration, ticketing and management tools that maximize the success of events.” To achieve their objectives, the software has been built using a modular that provides users with great autonomy and flexibility and delivers value for money as a result.
The premium version of Event Espresso also provides you with 40+ added features, including:
- Live-filtering when you search for events inside the Event Espresso admin.
- Question groups that simplify the process of reusing a common set of questions for similar events.
- Category titles and descriptions on event listings.
As mentioned previously, Event Espresso provides “addons”, which allow end-users to further enhance the capabilities of managing your event.
Some of these add ons include:
- Events Grid Template Addon: Displays events in a pure CSS grid-like structure using the featured image. Hovering over the image will display further information. If the event does not have a featured image, a default image will be used.
- Recurring Events Manager Add on: The Recurring Events management add on lets you put your events on autopilot by scheduling repeated events weeks or months ahead. You can schedule as many events in the future as you want. Event Espresso will then automatically open and close registrations for all of these recurring events.
- Events Calendar Table Template Add on: The Calendar Table template is a list template with a bold date and customizable “register now” button. The template can also be customized to show an event thumbnail instead of a date.
- Social Coupons Integration Addon: If your web site uses Groupon.com you can easily accept Groupon codes to your events. You can also specify whether events accept the social coupons or not.
- Custom Template Add-on: The Custom Template addon is capable of displaying your event lists in a variety of visually exciting ways.
- Seating Chart Add on: The seating chart add-on is great for venues and events that sell and reserve seats for attendees in advance. This is perfect for venues and events such as theaters, concert halls, play houses, sports arenas and stadiums. The Seating Chart add on allows you to promote reserved or assigned seating to your events and venues from your WordPress website. The Seating Chart add-on lets you manage the experience for your attendees and design assigned seating charts and attach a single price to each seat.
- Multiple Event Registration Addon: The Multi-Event registration add-on gives your potential customers the ability to book multiple events at once. In each event listing registrants will be given the option to either register for a single event or add multiple events to their cart. With the Multi-Event Registration add-on, attendees can register for several events at once and even add additional attendees to any of the same events in the same checkout process.
- EE4 Events Calendar Add-on: This add-on uses the WP calendar to display events and categories of events via an attractive graphical calendar.
- MailChimp Integration Add-on: The MailChimp add-on lets you auto-register attendees to a selected mailing list or group within your MailChimp account.
Note: Event Espresso regularly adds new features and improvements to its plugin, including new add ons.
For full details about the latest Event Espreso features and addons, visit the plugin website:
Here are some of the many testimonials that plugin users have posted about Event Espresso:
”EventEspresso saves us money, saves our secretary 16-24 hours and looks so professionally done that people ask us how we do it; which we happily tell them, “Event Espresso, and be sure to get the ticketing add-on.”” David, House of Prayer
”This really is a hell of a plugin. For me, it’s probably the final nail in the coffin for Joomla, as WP can now pretty much do EVERYTHING Joomla does, but better. Love the simplicity of this plugin!” Sam, Web Contempo
”Thank you, we just did 2 sell out seminars of 50 attendees in 48 hours using Event Espresso and it was awesome. My wife was able to pick up on the processing backend with ease. You have done a great job on getting this system together – very simple, clear and well laid out With powerful functionality. I am so glad I dumped the old booking application we had and gave Event Espresso a go. Just wanted to say thanks, and thanks for the very patient, friendly and speedy assistance in helping me to get it all set up at the start. Many thanks to you and your team. A grateful customer.” Nicholas de Castella, Emotional Intelligence Trainings
Event Espresso Tips
Whether you are a motivational speaker, presenter, festival planner, or event management professional, there are just countless possibilities of what you can do with the Event Espresso plugin.
After downloading the plugin and becoming a registered user, search the forums for tips and practical ways to streamline your event management workflow or enhance the experience of your event attendees.
Event Espresso is fully compatible with all WP plugins and WordPress themes that follow WP coding standards. If you do need support with the plugin, however, you will find that Event Espresso provides great support, as so many of its users attest:
”By far, the customer service experience with Event Espresso has been the best of any WordPress Theme or Paid Plugin that I’ve used in the past two years!” Megan Murray, Boys & Girls Club of Lake Tahoe
Event Espresso provides comprehensive support including access to a support forum, in-depth online documentation with faqs, knowledgebase and how tos, custom development support and even a monthly VIP member pass giving you access to community of developers, designers, event managers, publishers and webmasters that use Event Espresso tools, plus faster support response times.
Additionally, Event Espresso boasts a well-staffed team of experienced web developers with a solid track record of support, so this is definitely a solution you can depend on to manage your events.
Event Espresso is available in a range of plugin editions, including a FREE basic edition (called Event Espresso Decaf). For personal support and advanced plugin features, however, you should consider downloading one of the paid plugin versions below:
- Personal License – This lets you run Event Espresso on 1 site only. Pricing includes 51+ Premium features, (add-ons sold separately) and 1 year of upgrades and support. Price = $69.95.
- Everything License – This license enables you to set up Event Espresso on one domain only. Cost includes 51+ Premium features, 29 Premium addons and 1 year of upgrades and support. Cost = $279.95.
- Developer License – This license option enables you to configure Event Espresso on 5 sites. Pricing includes 51+ Premium features, (add-ons sold separately) and 1 year of upgrades and support. Price = $249.95.
The cost to purchase the Event Espresso plugin can vary, depending on whether there are any promotions or limited-time special offers. Presently, the plugin is being retailed for the amounts shown above. Check the plugin’s website for the latest pricing details: Event Espresso – Event Espresso
Please Note: The above reflects the pricing when this review was written. This may not be the actual pricing charged by the plugin author when you visit the website.
Event Espresso – Additional Information
Event Espresso regularly adds new features and improvements to the plugin. Make sure to remain subscribed to their customer update list to receive the latest information and updates.
Look up the software’s documentation tools for answers to common questions about setting up and using Event Espresso, and visit the support forums for questions related to your specific use-case, or to report problems and leave feedback.
For detailed documentation, demos, downloads, videos, tutorials, FAQ and more, visit the Event Espresso product site.
Event Espresso is the preferred WordPress event registration and ticketing manager software, used and trusted by thousands of WordPress site owners.
If you own a WordPress-powered website and you intend to run any event that requires scheduling dates, times and venues, registering attendees, and/or booking seating, then you will probably not find a more suitable plugin for your needs than Event Espresso.
For more details, check out the plugin here: Event Espresso – WordPress Event Management & Ticket Registration System