Grow Your Medical Or Healthcare Business Online With WordPress
Medical professionals today face significant challenges.
Online Challenges For Health Practitioners
Now, more than ever, businesses in the health and medical sector must work harder than ever to remain competitive. Not only do you have to participate in the community you serve, you must also develop an active web presence. This includes having a dynamic website and learning how to better market your services online.
In addition to spending dollars in offline marketing activities, you will probably find that in order to remain competitive, increasingly larger amounts of their budget need to be delegated towards the development and management of a website that will drive new prospects, engage visitors, outrank the competition in search engines and social media, and help you gain a wider degree of marketing exposure online.
This means that your website not only has to look great, your web pages have to load fast, and your site has to be easy to navigate, but even more importantly, your site’s needs may change over time and many aspects may need to be frequently updated. This requires having a sound web and content management strategy in place.
Another challenge that medical or health-related organizations face online, as most professions do for that matter, is that your site has around 30 seconds to give visitors the information they are looking for or they will go elsewhere.
“Websites have evolved into central information hubs where service information is still present but enhanced with web portals, hyperlinks to state and federal sites, and a variety of free tools.”
Opportunities For Medical Practitioners In The Web Economy
As well as facing many new business and technology changes, there are also plenty of online opportunities available for medical-related practices that can evolve to meet online challenges and can think progressively in terms of marketing their business services better online.
In this article, you will discover ways to attract new visitors and improve your business presence online.
As well as providing practical tips and information on ways to improve your health website, we also recommend that you consider using the WordPress Content Management System to power your medical business website or blog.
To learn more about the benefits and advantages of using WordPress, go here:
- Learn Why A Poorly Built Web Site Can Lose You Customers
- An Online Guide To Growing A Successful Small Business With A WordPress Site
How To Improve Your Medical Center Site
This section will show you ways to improve your health or medical-related website and get better results online. We will look at what pages you need, what type of content you need, your layout and navigation, etc.
If you need website planning assistance, see this detailed guide we have written: A Basic Guide To Web Site Planning For Business Owners
Your Web Pages
All websites require several essential pages. Let’s discuss the pages your need to have and how to set up your website for best results.
Description Of Products And Services
It’s essential to include a page that lists your services or products. Depending on which area you specialize in, this page can list services like:
- Medical And Surgical – e.g. anaesthetics, pulmonology hematology, plastic surgery, neurology, renal, bariatric surgery, ophtalmology palliative care, etc.
- Dentistry – e.g. preventive dentistry, children’s dentistry, oral health, restorations, dentofacial orthopedics, emergency dentistry, etc.
- Cardiology – e.g. cardiac surgery, coronary care
- Prenatal/Postnatal – e.g. obstetrics, maternity services, etc.
- Child Health – paediatrics, child development, children services, etc.
- Diagnostic – mammography, lung screening, medical imaging, pap smears, psychosis, food allergy testing, etc.
- Pathology services – laboratory testing and analysis, routine pathology testing, fine-needle aspiration cytology, speech pathology, etc
- Counselling – mental health, alcohol, tobacco & other drug services, marriage counselling, wellness, social development services
- Alternative therapies – acupuncture, aromatherapy, colloidal silver therapy, massage therapy, chiropractic, hypnosis, etc.
- Other medical services – diet and nutrition, sports medicine, lymphedema therapy, optical services, inherited diseases, prosthetics, hearing aids, home and community care, community health, medical equipment, etc.
List all of the services you provide. Provide your visitors with information that will educate them about what these services do and direct them to your appointment booking page.
Who We Are
The ‘About Us’ page needs to describe your business and explain to visitors what your business stands for, its unique approach, community contributions, etc.
Remember to list any awards, recognitions, certifications, accreditations, publications, associations, etc., that you can use to promote your services and to set yourself above the competition.
(List all of your awards accreditations, recognitions, certifications, publications, associations, etc. in the About page. Screenshot image sourced from: squaremedical.com.au)
Are you looking for cost-effective ideas to sell more products or services online? Then help visitors get to know you, your team and your business better.
Your business needs to be relatable. A great way to do that is to have a page that introduces your staff. This page should include a photo and a mini biography. Since most visitors are probably not familiar with health or medical-related terms your bio descriptions should tell who they are and what their specialties are. You may also want to explain what those specialized areas mean. This page can include social buttons so your prospective clients can follow your team members on their social networks.
In this page, make sure to highlight your staff member’s experience, how they add value or contribute to the success of your team, and more importantly, how they will help add value to your clients’ business.
(Add a ‘meet the team’ page. Image source: southperthchiro.com.au)
To learn more about how to easily add an easy-to-update list of staff members to WordPress without coding skills, go here: How To Create A Simple Employee List For Your WordPress Site With No Coding Skills
Career Opportunities Page
This is a listing of job or career opportunities within your organization. This page can include type of training provided, employee benefits, opportunities for advancement, social aspects of working with your business, etc. You can also include case studies of graduates who have risen within your company and information such as the job outlook and additional career opportunities in the health and medical industry.
Also include a positions available section in your page. If there are no positions currently available, consider inviting people to return periodically to this page, subscribe to your newsletter, follow your social pages, etc.
Testimonials and case studies are a great way to attract prospective clients and showcase your services. By adding a page with client reviews and case studies, you are also helping to establish social proof.
(Add a web page with testimonials from past clients and case studies. Image source: arrowsmiledental.com)
We have created a detailed article about using testimonials, case studies and user reviews to grow your business online. For more info, see this article: How To Achieve Better Results Online Using Engaging Client Testimonials
Contact Us Page
Having a clean contact page is absolutely vital.
Your contact page should include some or all of the following information about your company:
- Your physical location
- Fax number
- Google Map and directions
- Website URL
- Contact form
- Name of person to contact
- Social media web addresses
- Live Chat/Skype (optional)
If your business services multiple locations you will want to make that clear when showing the address and contact information.
You can also include links pointing to the most commonly asked questions page, frequently-visited pages, booking request, support page, newsletter opt-in form, blog, etc.
A blog is a powerful marketing tool for your business. Many blogging platforms typically include a content management system that allows you to easily promote your business using timely content such as news and announcements, updates, educational information, informative posts, educational videos, media presentations, etc.
If you already have an established medical or health site, then consider adding a WordPress-driven blog to market your medical organization.
If you don’t have a website yet, or if your existing website is very hard to keep updated with new content or not giving you the results you want, then WordPress can act both as your website and your blog.
Something few people know about, is that an expertly configured WordPress site can become an automated traffic system that can begin delivering targeted traffic to your site, simply by publishing content to your website on a regular basis.
(An expertly configured WordPress site can automate your traffic generation)
To learn more about this go here:
It’s crucially important for professional organizations to ensure they have a website that complies will all legal requirements online. This is not only important for building credibility with prospective clients, but also to ensure that no local, regional or federal laws and regulations are being breached wherever you do business.
Adding the legal pages below to your website will help keep you out of legal hot water with most regulatory authorities, third-party service providers (e.g. Facebook), and other potential sources of threats and legal inconveniences:
- Contact Page
- Website Disclaimer
- Affiliate Agreement
- Anti-Spam Policy
- Compensation Disclosure
- DMCA Notice
- Earnings Disclaimer
- External Links Policy
- Health Disclaimers
- Refund Policy
- Video/Audio Terms
- and others
If you want to learn more about adding legal pages to your website, refer to this article: Adding Legal Pages To Your Website
Improving The Content On Your Site
In today’s fiercely competitive global business economy, the sooner you start to publish content on your site, the quicker you will begin to differentiate yourself from the competition.
Provide useful content with great tips, information or advice that will get your visitors sharing it with others and coming back for more content. Using content is the most effective way to inform and teach site visitors and prospective clients about your business and services.
For example, if you provide services that help people lose weight, then some of the topics you can cover as content on your site:
- What’s the difference between being overweight and obese?
- What are calories and how understanding them aids in weight loss
- Is hypnosis and effective weight loss treatment?
- How to incorporate a little fast food into a healthy diet plan
You can also create a series of informative articles that will help your your prospective clients understand your medical or health-related services, by explaining benefits, procedures, costs (including payment plans, insurance coverage, etc).
Use keywords and terms in your content that your prospective clients will search for.
We recommend subscribing to our Content Marketing Email Training Series. You will receive a comprehensive series of training emails with easy-to-digest information that will show exactly how to drive more traffic to your site, save money creating high-quality content that will add value to your visitors and grow your presence online using content marketing. It’s not only a great course with loads of useful information, it’s also 100% FREE!
Improving User Experience
Improving your user experience (known as UX) will help to keep visitors coming back and engaging with your site. This section will show you ways you can improve your visitor engagement and user experience.
Content Syndication – RSS Feeds
RSS feeds provide many benefits for your site.
If you provide information that adds value to others, other businesses may want to syndicate your content to their visitors.
Some of the benefits of syndicating your content to other websites using RSS feeds, include:
- All of your updates are in one place
- Content distribution doesn’t rely on email
- Your feeds can be shared and picked up by other sites online
- Feeds allow for subscribing
- It provides links to your site
- Your feeds can be submitted to RSS directories
- There are various ways your readers can receive your content (e.g. subscribers can read your content on their mobile device using different applications)
- It’s built into WordPress
There are also benefits to adding syndicated content to your website from other websites, such as the fact that you don’t have to write, manage or update the content.
To find RSS feeds with loads of useful content for your website, visit sites of medical-related government departments and respected industry bodies.
Here are some useful RSS feeds you could consider adding to your site:
- US Department Of Health And Human Services – e.g. Blog feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/SelectedHhsBlogPosts, etc. You can search by departments and select individual RSS feeds, like feeds on women’s health issues (e.g. Breast cancer, Environmental health, HIV/AIDS, Minority women’s health, Smoking and how to quit, etc.) here: http://womenshealth.gov/news/rss/rss-feeds.html
- US National Libraries Of Medicine – For a list of RSS feeds from various medical journals, publications and websites (e.g. The Journal of Experimental Medicine (JEM), BMJ Heart, Indian Journal of Plastic Surgery, Radiology, BMJ British Journal of Ophthalmology, etc.) go here: http://www.healthplusplus.com/wiki/List_of_RSS_feeds_on_health
- National Institutes Of Health (www.nih.gov) - Find various health-related RSS feeds here: http://www.nih.gov/Subscriptions.htm
- FDA – Get RSS feeds on fda-related news like FDA drug safety, FDA drug shortages, product recalls, vaccines, blood and biologics, etc. and podcasts here: http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/ContactFDA/StayInformed/RSSFeeds
- UK Department Of Health (https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-of-health) – Latest news: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-of-health.atom
- The Department Of Health (Australian Government): http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/xml/rssLatestNews.xml
- Department Of Public Health (Australia – State Level): e.g. Western Australia – http://www.public.health.wa.gov.au/feed/?types=news
- Centers For Disease Control And Prevention - Find various RSS feeds on health-related news and topics and podcasts here: http://www2c.cdc.gov/podcasts/rss.asp
- Medical News: You can search medical news feeds in places like the NYTimes RSS feeds section (e.g. Research: http://www.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/nyt/Research.xml)
- MedicineNet – Daily Health and Medical News: http://www.medicinenet.com/rss/dailyhealth.xml. You can also select specific RSS feeds here (http://www.medicinenet.com/rss/article.htm) (e.g. Allergies, Mental Health, Nutrition, Food, & Recipes, Diet & Weight Management, Exercise & Fitness, Thyroid, etc.)
- Medical News Today – MNT Medical News Featured Headlines: http://rss.medicalnewstoday.com/featurednews.xml
- MedicalNewsToday.com – You can also choose specific RSS feeds here: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/newsfeeds-rss (e.g. Cardiovascular/Cardiology, Vascular, Fibromyalgia, Irritable-Bowel Syndrome, Diabetes, Pediatrics/Children’s Health, Restless Legs Syndrome, etc.)
You can also search online for general feeds, e.g. “medical rss feeds” or search for feeds on specific areas, e.g. “STD rss feeds”, “pancreatic cancer rss feeds”, “crohn’s rss feeds”, etc.
(Add RSS feeds to improve your medical or health site’s UX.)
Adding Checklists And Charts
Checklists and charts are a fantastic way to increase visitor engagement and add value to your readers. Checklists and charts can provide useful information and resources to perform necessary steps. They are also great client instructional tools.
You can provide forms, charts and checklists covering a range of topics such as:
- Checklists/forms for booking appointments
- Checklists for post-surgery recovery
- Health checklists and charts for specific systems
- Dental checklists – e.g. first visit, caries prevention program, cosmetic dentistry, etc.
- Weight loss and nutrition program checklists
- General charts & infographics (e.g. caloric level of different foods, sleep requirements at different stages of development, etc.)
Providing unique tools, gadgets and applications on your website is a great way to increase visitor engagement and add significant value to your potential clients. Health-related calculators are some of the most popular tools for your website. Other applications can include things like diagnostic tools, and even recipes.
In part two, we take a look at a several WordPress plugins you can add to your website that can also help to improve your seo, improve user engagement and drive more web traffic to your business.
This is the end of section 1.
To view the rest of this guide, click this link:
"Learning WordPress has been a huge stumbling block for me. I've been looking for something that covers absolutely everything but doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Thank you so much ... you have just provided me with what I have been looking for! Truly appreciated!" - Tanya