Grow Your Medical Or Healthcare Business Online With WordPress
The digital age has not only transformed business globally, it has also created increasingly difficult challenges and opportunities for businesses in the health or medical industry.
Challenges Medical Firms Face Online
Today, more than ever, businesses in the health and medical sector must work harder than ever to remain competitive. Not only do you have to maintain an active presence in the community your business serves, you must also develop and maintain a strong web presence. This includes having an effective web presence and searching for smarter ways to market your health or medical services services online.
In addition to spending money advertising offline, businesses in the medical or health-related industry are also finding that increasingly larger amounts of their budget need to be assigned towards developing and managing a website that can drive new prospective clients, engage users, outrank the competition in search engines and give their business a wider amount of exposure online.
This means that your site not only has to look professional, load fast, and be easy to navigate, but even more importantly, your site’s needs may change over time and sections may need to be updated often. This requires implementing well-planned web and content management strategy.
One other challenge that health services practitioners (and all other businesses) face online, is that you have only about thirty seconds to provide users with what they need or they will look elsewhere.
“Websites have evolved into central information hubs where service information is still present but enhanced with web portals, hyperlinks to state and federal sites, and a variety of free tools.”
Opportunities For Medical And Health Businesses In The Digital Economy
As well as facing many challenges, there are also loads of online opportunities available to health-related practices that can adapt to meet online economy demands and think progressively when it comes to improving their online marketing skills.
In this article, you will learn ways and opportunities to drive more web traffic and see significant improvements in your business results online.
As well as providing useful website improvement tips, we also recommend that you consider using the WordPress content management system to power your medical-related website.
To learn more about the benefits and advantages of using the WordPress CMS platform, go here:
- Discover How A Poorly Designed Website Can Cost You Customers And What To Do About It
- The Business Owner’s Guide To Understanding WordPress
Useful Tips For Improving Your Medical Clinic Website
We’ll start first by covering some basics. In this section, we’ll look at ways to improve your website and get better results. We will look at what pages a health or medical site needs, what type of content works best for medical or health sites, suggestions for improving your navigation structure, etc.
If you need assistance or help planning your website, check out the article we have written here: Planning Your Website: A Practical Guide For Business Owners
Your Website Pages
All business websites require a number of basic web pages. Let’s discuss these.
You need a page that explains your services and any products that you offer. Depending on which area of health or medical services you specialize in, this page could list services like:
- Medicine & Surgery – e.g. pain management, orthopedics hematology, oral surgery, incontinence, rheumatology, bariatric surgery, eye diseases surgical outpatients, etc.
- Dentistry – e.g. general dentistry, children’s dentistry, oral hygiene, veneers, crowns and bridges, dental implants, emergency dental services, etc.
- Cardiology – e.g. cardiac surgery, coronary care
- Prenatal/Neonatal – e.g. birth suites, midwifery, etc.
- Child Health services – paediatrics, child development, children services, etc.
- Diagnostic – breast screens, lung screening, oral health, pap smears, MRI scanning, food allergy testing, etc.
- Pathology services – laboratory testing and analysis, routine pathology testing, insurance and corporate testing, speech pathology, etc
- Counselling services – mental health, alcohol, tobacco & other drug counselling, marriage counselling, diet and nutrition counselling, social work services
- Alternative treatments – acupuncture, aromatherapy, colloidal silver therapy, tai chi, chiropractic, hypnosis, etc.
- Other medical services/therapies – diet and nutrition, sports medicine, reproductive endocrinology, optical services, inherited diseases, artificial limbs, mobility, home care, sexual health, medical supplies, etc.
Make sure to list all of the services you provide, not just the ones you specialize in. Educate your visitors about what your services do and why they should book an appointment with you.
Who We Are
The ‘About Us’ page needs to describe your business and explain to visitors what it stands for, its unique approach, supported community projects, etc.
It’s important to also include any health-related awards, recognitions, certifications, accreditations, associations, publications, etc., that can be used to promote your business and to set yourself above your competitors.
(List all of your business awards certifications, accreditations, recognitions, publications, associations, etc. in the About Us page. Image source: squaremedical.com.au)
Meet Our Team
If you are searching for cost-effective ways to grow your business online, then something you can do, is make it easier for your prospective clients to get to know, like and trust your business better.
You want prospective clients to relate to your business. One great way to do that is to have a page that introduces your staff or team members. It should include a photo and a brief bio. Since most visitors will not tend to be well-versed in health terms your descriptions should tell who they are and what their specialties are. You may also want to explain what those specialized areas mean. This page should also include social buttons that will allow your prospective clients to follow your team members on their social networks.
In this page, make sure to highlight each employee’s expertise and qualifications, why they are an invaluable asset to your team, and more importantly, how they will help add value to your clients’ business.
(Make sure to add a page that introduces your staff members to prospective new clients. Screenshot source: southperthchiro.com.au)
To learn more about how to create and add an easy-to-manage directory of staff members to your web site using free plugins, go here: How To Easily Create A Simple Staff List For Your WordPress Site With No Coding Skills Required
This is a listing of job or career opportunities available within the practice. It could include training provided, benefits, professional development, social activities sponsored by your organization, etc. You should also include information about additional career opportunities in the health or medical industry.
Include also a positions available section in this page. If there are no positions currently available, consider inviting people to return periodically to the page, join your newsletter, follow you on social media, etc.
Testimonials and case studies are a great way to attract potential clients and showcase your services. Adding a web page with testimonials from past clients and case studies also establishes social proof online.
(Add a page to your site with testimonials from past clients and case studies. Image sourced from: arrowsmiledental.com)
We have written extensively about using case studies, testimonials and client reviews to improve your business results online. Go here to learn more: All You Need To Know To Get Better Results Online With Powerful Testimonials
Contact Us Page
A contact page is absolutely vital.
Your contact page should provide visitors with the following:
- Company Name
- Street address of consulting practice
- Phone number
- Contact email address
- Map and directions
- Web address
- Contact form
- Name of person to contact
- Social media URLs
- Chat/Skype (optional)
If your business operates out of several areas you should make that clear when showing the address and contact information.
You could also include a few links point to the most commonly asked questions page, main pages, booking form, support page, newsletter opt-in form, blog, etc.
Add A Medical Blog Section
A blog can be a very powerful marketing tool for your business. Most blogging platforms typically comprise of a content management system that is simple to use and allows you to easily promote your business by publishing timely content like events, new releases, useful articles and tutorials, discussions on current topics, promotional videos, media presentations, etc.
If you already have an established medical website, then consider adding a WordPress-powered blog to create more exposure for your medical services.
If you don’t have a website yet, or if your existing health website is very hard to keep updated or not delivering you the results you want, then WordPress can become both your website and your blog.
Something few businesses know about, is that an expertly configured WordPress site can turn into an automated traffic system that will attract targeted visitors to your web site, simply by publishing new content on a regular basis to your website.
(An expertly configured WordPress site can drive web traffic automatically to your site)
Go here to learn more about this:
It’s really important to ensure they have a website that complies will all legal requirements online. This is not only important for establishing trust and credibility with visitors, but also to ensure that you are not breaking any laws and regulations wherever your business is located.
Adding some or all of the following legal pages to your site will help keep you out of legal hot water with most regulatory authorities, third-party service providers, and other potential legal threats and inconveniences:
- Contact Us
- Privacy Statement
- Website Disclaimer
- Affiliate Agreement
- Anti-Spam Policy
- Compensation Disclosure
- DMCA Notice
- Earnings Disclaimer
- External Links Policy
- Health Disclaimers
- Refund Policy
- Video/Audio Terms
To learn more about adding legal pages to your site, refer to this article: Why You Need To Add Legal Pages To Your Website
Tips On How To Improve The Content On Your Website
In today’s globally competitive economy, the ability to deliver valuable content free of charge has become one of the key differentiators for businesses selling similar products or services.
Provide great content with tips, information and advice that will get your visitors sharing it with others and coming back for more content. Publishing content is a great way to inform and teach your visitors and prospects about using your products and services.
For example, if your business provides weight loss services, then some of the topics you could write content about include:
- Nutrients your body needs on a daily basis (protein, carbs, fats, minerals, vitamins)
- How to identify the bad habits you need to correct to ensure lifetime weight loss
- Diet sodas (common ones, side effects, long term results, do they work?)
- A guide to making the right choices when eating at restaurants
You can also create a series of informative articles that will help your your prospective clients gain a better understanding of your services, by explaining benefits, procedures, costs (including payment plans, insurance coverage, etc).
Use keywords and terms in your content that your readers would search for.
We recommend subscribing to our Content Marketing Email Training Series. You will receive regular training emails with easy-to-digest information that will show exactly how to drive more traffic to your site, save money creating high-quality content that will add value to your site visitors and grow your business online using content. It’s not only a great course with loads of useful information, it’s also 100% FREE!
Ways To Improve Visitor Engagement And User Experience
Improving your website’s user experience (generally referred to as UX) helps to keep visitors coming back and engaging with your site. This section will show you different ways to improve visitor engagement and UX.
Adding RSS Feeds
Adding RSS feeds can help to improve visitor engagement and user experience in many ways.
If you provide content that adds value to others, other sites may want to syndicate your content to their visitors.
Some of the benefits of having other businesses syndicate your content, include:
- All of your content updates are in one place
- your content distribution doesn’t rely on email
- Your feeds can be shared online
- Feeds allow for subscribing
- It provides links back to your site
- Feeds can be submitted to RSS directories and aggregator services
- There are multiple ways readers can receive your content (e.g. subscribers can read the content on their mobile device using different applications)
- It’s built into WordPress
There are also a number of benefits when it comes to providing information on your site from other websites, such as the fact that you don’t have to write, manage or update the content.
You can find RSS feeds with useful content for your website by visiting sites of relevant government departments and well-known industry bodies.
Here are examples of feeds you could add to your website:
- US Department Of Health And Human Services – e.g. Blog RSS feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/SelectedHhsBlogPosts, etc. You can search by departments and select individual feeds, like feeds on women’s health issues (e.g. Breast cancer, Health care for women, Heart health and stroke, Menopause, Smoking and how to quit, etc.) here: http://womenshealth.gov/news/rss/rss-feeds.html
- US National Libraries Of Medicine – For a list of RSS feeds from well-known medical journals, publications and websites (e.g. AHA Journals (American Heart Association Journals), Bionet RSS, Indian Journal of Plastic Surgery, Neurology.org, Pediatrics, etc.) go here: http://www.healthplusplus.com/wiki/List_of_RSS_feeds_on_health
- National Institutes Of Health - Get many health-related feeds here: http://www.nih.gov/Subscriptions.htm
- FDA – Find RSS feeds on fda-related news and topics like FDA drug safety, FDA drug shortages, pet health, tobacco news, etc. and podcasts here: http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/ContactFDA/StayInformed/RSSFeeds
- Department of Health UK (www.gov.uk) – Latest news: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-of-health.atom
- The Department Of Health (Australian Government): http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/xml/rssLatestNews.xml
- Department Of Public Health (Australia – State Level): e.g. Western Australia – http://www.public.health.wa.gov.au/feed/?types=news
- Centers For Disease Control And Prevention (www.cdc.gov) - Find various RSS feeds on health-related news and topics and podcasts here: http://www2c.cdc.gov/podcasts/rss.asp
- Medical News: You can search medical news RSS feeds in places like the NYTimes feeds section (e.g. Fitness & nutrition: http://www.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/nyt/Nutrition.xml)
- MedicineNet – Daily Health and Medical News: http://www.medicinenet.com/rss/dailyhealth.xml. You can also choose individual RSS feeds here (http://www.medicinenet.com/rss/article.htm) (e.g. Allergies, Men’s health, Migraine Headaches, Diet & Weight Management, Sexual Health, Skin, etc.)
- Medical News Today – Featured Headlines: http://rss.medicalnewstoday.com/featurednews.xml
- MedicalNewsToday.com – You can also select specific feeds here: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/newsfeeds-rss (e.g. Lung Cancer, Immune System/Vaccines, Palliative Care/Hospice Care, Pancreatic Cancer, Transplants/Organ Donations, Cosmetic Medicine/Plastic Surgery, Personal Monitoring/Wearable Technology, etc.)
You can also just search online for general RSS feeds, e.g. “medical rss feeds” or search for feeds on specific topics, e.g. “stress rss feeds”, “disasters rss feeds”, “obesity rss feeds”, etc.
(Use RSS feeds to improve your site’s user experience.)
Checklists & Forms
Checklists and charts are a fantastic way to increase visitor engagement, add value to your visitors and provide something unique. Checklists and charts can provide step-by-step information and resources to perform a necessary task. Charts and checklists are also great client educational tools.
Checklists, charts and medical forms could cover subjects such as:
- Booking appointments
- Checklists for pre or post treatment
- Health checklists for specific conditions
- Dental checklists – e.g. first visit, oral maintenance program, general dentistry, etc.
- Fitness and exercise program checklists
- General charts & infographics (e.g. acidity level of different foods, the importance of sleep at different ages, etc.)
Add Online Tools
Providing useful tools, gadgets and applications on your site is a great way to increase visitor engagement and add value to your users. Health-related calculators, for example, are some of the most popular tools for your website. Others would include things like nutritional tools, and even recipes.
In part two of this guide, we take a look at a several WordPress plugins and themes you can use in your website that can help improve search engine optimization, improve user engagement and generate more web traffic to your business.
This is the end of section 1.
To continue, click this link:
- Your Health And Medical Center Services Website – WordPress Plugins And Themes For Improving SEO, Increasing User Engagement And Generating More Web Traffic
"Wow! I never knew there's so much to learn about WordPress! I bought one of the WordPress for Dummies three years ago, such authors need to be on this course!" - Rich Law, Create A Blog Now