Grow Your Medical Or Healthcare Business Online With WordPress
The digital business age has not only revolutionized businesses around the world, it has also created a number of challenges and great opportunities for businesses offering medical or health-related services.
Online Challenges For Medical Providers
Now, more than ever, health services professionals must work hard and find smarter ways to remain competitive and find new clients. Not only do you have to become more involved in the community you serve, you must also develop a strong digital presence. This includes having an effective website and searching for better ways to market your health or medical services services online.
As well as spending dollars marketing offline, you will probably find (if you haven’t already) that in order to compete with other medical or health businesses, you will need to assign a bigger part of your marketing budget towards developing and maintaining a website that brings in leads, engages users, outperforms the competition in search engines and helps to increase your marketing reach online.
This means that your website not only has to look great, your web pages have to load fast, and be easy to navigate, but even more importantly, your site’s needs will change over time and many areas will need to be updated frequently. This requires the implementation of a well-planned web and content management strategy.
One other challenge that health organizations face with their websites (and most businesses for that matter), is that your site has an average of thirty seconds or less to provide visitors what they are searching for or they will go elsewhere to get their needs met.
“Websites have evolved into central information hubs where service information is still present but enhanced with web portals, hyperlinks to state and federal sites, and a variety of free tools.”
Opportunities For The Medical Profession In The Digital Economy
As well as facing many new challenges, there are also many online opportunities available for businesses in the health sector that can adapt to meet digital economy challenges and who can think progressively when it comes to improving their online marketing skills.
In this detailed guide, you will learn opportunities to generate new client bookings and establish online credibility for your medical-related business.
As well as providing tips and information on cost-effective ways to improve your website, we also recommend that you consider using the WordPress platform to power your health or medical-related website.
For more information about the benefits and advantages of using the WordPress Content Management System (CMS), see these articles:
- Learn Why A Poorly Constructed Web Site Can Cost You Potential Buyers And What To Do About It
- A Beginner’s Guide To Building A Successful Business Using A WordPress Blog
Useful Tips To Improve Your Website
This section looks at how to improve your health-related website and get better results online. We show you what pages you need, what content works best for medical or health websites, ways of improving layout and navigation structure, etc.
If you need help with website planning, see this detailed step-by-step guide we have written: A Practical Guide To Website Planning For Non-Technical Business Owners
Professional business websites need several basic pages. Let’s go over these.
It’s essential to include a page that describes your services and any products that you offer. Depending on which area of health you specialize in, this page can include services like:
- Medicine & Surgery – e.g. acute pain management, pulmonology haematology, cancer, stroke, respiratory, endoscopy, ophtalmology palliative care, etc.
- Dentistry – e.g. cosmetic dentistry, children’s dentistry, bad breath treatment, restorations, orthodontics, emergency dentistry services, etc.
- Cardiology – e.g. heart surgery, chronic heart conditions
- Prenatal/Neonatal – e.g. birthing, midwifery, etc.
- Child Health services – paediatrics, child development, children services, etc.
- Diagnostic – breast screening, skin cancer, hearing, women’s health, magnetic resonance imaging, food allergy testing, etc.
- Pathology – lab testing and analysis, emergency pathology testing, fine-needle aspiration biopsy, speech pathology, etc
- Counselling – mental health, alcohol, tobacco & other drug services, marriage counselling, diet and nutrition counselling, social development services
- Alternative treatments – acupuncture, aromatherapy, hydrotherapy, yoga, chiropractic, hypnotherapy, etc.
- Other medical services/therapies – weight management, sports medicine, fertility services, speech language therapy, neurosciences, artificial limbs, sleep therapy, home care, clinical information, medical equipment, etc.
List all of the services you provide, not just the ones you specialize in. Educate your visitors about the benefits of using your services and direct them to your appointment booking page.
Who We Are
This page should give a description of your business and explain to visitors what your business stands for, its unique approach, causes that you support, etc.
Remember to list any awards, accreditations, recognitions, certifications, publications, associations, etc., that you can use to promote your medical services and to set yourself above your competitors.
(List all of your awards recognitions, accreditations, certifications, publications, associations, etc. in your About page. Screenshot source: squaremedical.com.au)
Your Staff Page
If you are looking for quicker, easier and cost-effective ideas to grow your business online or get people to interact more on your site, then make it easier for your prospects to get to know, like and trust you, your team and your business better.
You want prospects to relate to your business. A great way to do that is to have a page that introduces your employees. This page should include a photo and a mini bio. Since most visitors won’t be very well-versed in medical or health-related terms it should tell who they are and what their specialties are. You may also want to explain what those specialized areas mean. It can also include social buttons that will allow your visitors to follow individual staff members on their social networks.
On this page, make sure to outline your person’s expertise and qualifications, how their skills contribute to the success of your team, and more importantly, how they can help add value to your clients’ business.
(Make sure to add a page that introduces your employees to prospective new clients. Screenshot image source: southperthchiro.com.au)
We have written a detailed tutorial about how to easily create and add an easy-to-maintain directory of employees to your WordPress site using a free WordPress plugin here: How To Add An Employee List Directory
Work With Us
This is a listing of job opportunities available within the organization. This page should include training, benefits, opportunities for advancement, etc. You can include information about upcoming career opportunities in the medical-related industry.
Include also a positions available section in this page. If there are no positions currently available, consider inviting people to return periodically to the page, join your newsletter, follow you on social media, etc.
Case Studies And Testimonials
Case studies and reviews from clients are a great way to attract potential clients and showcase your services. Adding a web page with reviews from clients and case studies also helps your health or medical-related website to provide social proof.
(Add a page to your site with case studies and client reviews. Screenshot source: arrowsmiledental.com)
For a detailed article about using testimonials and user reviews get better results online, go here: Improve Your Visitor-To-Lead Conversions Using Engaging Customer Testimonials
A contact page is crucial.
Your contact page should provide visitors with some or all of the following information about your consulting practice:
- Name Of Your Business
- Telephone number
- Facsimile number
- Email address
- Google Map and directions
- Website URL
- Contact form
- Name of person to contact
- Links to social media profiles
- Live Chat/Skype
If you have different areas you will want to make this clear when displaying your address and contact info.
You can also include links to an FAQ page, useful pages, booking form, support area, newsletter, blog, etc.
Add A Health Or Medical Blog
A blog can be a very powerful marketing tool for your business. Blogs typically include a content management system that is simple to use and allows you to promote your business by publishing content such as announcements, product releases, useful information, informative posts, educational videos, infographics, etc.
If you already have an health-related website, then consider adding a WordPress-driven blog to create more exposure for your clinic.
If you don’t have a website yet, or if your existing website is very hard to manage or not delivering you the results you want, then WordPress can act both as your business website and business blog.
You may not know this, but WordPress can turn your web presence into an automated traffic machine that can begin driving an ongoing stream of targeted visitors to your business, simply by adding content on a regular basis to your website.
(WordPress can automate your traffic generation)
To learn more about this go here:
Legal Information Pages
As a professional business, having a compliant website is important. This is not only important for establishing trust and credibility with prospective clients, but also to ensure that no laws and regulations are being contravened in whatever location you do business.
Adding the legal pages below to your medical website will help keep you out of trouble with most regulatory authorities, third-party service providers, and other potential legal threats and inconveniences:
- Contact Page
- Website Disclaimer
- Affiliate Agreement
- Anti-Spam Policy
- Compensation Disclosure
- DMCA Notice
- Earnings Disclaimer
- External Links Policy
- Health and Financial Disclaimers
- Refund Policy
- Video/Audio Terms
We have written a detailed article on adding legal pages to your website. Go here to learn more: Adding Legal Pages To Your Website
Improve The Content On Your Site
In today’s highly competitive online economy, content marketing has become one of the key differentiators for businesses.
You will want to provide useful content with great tips, advice or information that will get your visitors sharing it with others and coming back for more. Using content is the most effective way to educate site visitors and prospective clients about your business and services.
For example, if you provide weight loss services, then some of the topics you could cover as content on your site:
- Potential health issues caused by being overweight
- How to set realistic, but achievable weight loss goals
- Tips for developing a better eating and exercise regime
- Vitamins and minerals that help with weight loss (chromium, calcium, magnesium, etc.)
- And endless other content topics
You can also create a series of informative articles that will help your your prospective clients gain a better understanding of your health or medical services, by explaining benefits, procedures, costs (including payment plans, insurance coverage, etc).
Remember to use specific keywords and terminology in your articles that readers would search for online.
We recommend subscribing to our Content Marketing Email Training Series. You will receive a comprehensive series of training emails with actionable information and practical tips that will show you how to drive more traffic to your website, save money creating high-quality content for your visitors and grow your presence online using content. It’s not only a great course with loads of useful information, it’s also completely FREE!
Ways To Improve User Experience
Improving website user experience (known as UX) will help you keep visitors coming back and engaging with your site. This section will show you different ways to improve your visitor engagement and user experience.
Syndicating Content With RSS Feeds
RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feeds provide lots of benefits for your site.
If you provide content that adds value to others, other businesses will want to syndicate your content to their visitors.
Some of the benefits of having other businesses syndicate your content, include:
- All of your updates are kept in one place
- your content distribution doesn’t rely on email
- Your feed can be shared
- Users can subscribe to your RSS feed
- An RSS feed provides links to your site
- Your feeds can be submitted to RSS directories
- RSS provides multiple ways for your readers to receive your content (e.g. read the content on their mobile device using feed readers)
- RSS is built into WordPress
There are also a number of benefits when it comes to providing great content on your site from other websites, such as the fact that you don’t have to write, manage or update the content.
You can find RSS feeds with useful content for your website by visiting sites of medical-related government departments or industry bodies.
Here are a few RSS feeds containing useful information that you could consider adding to your website:
- US Department Of Health And Human Services – e.g. Latest news feed: http://www.hhs.gov/rss/news/hhsnews.xml, etc. You can search by departments and choose specific feeds, like feeds on women’s health issues (e.g. Breastfeeding, Environmental health, HIV/AIDS, Mental health, Pregnancy, etc.) here: http://womenshealth.gov/news/rss/rss-feeds.html
- US National Libraries Of Medicine – For a list of RSS feeds from well-known medical journals, publications and websites (e.g. Haematologica, ADA ClinicalDiabetes, JCI – The Journal of Clinical Investigation, Current Psychiatry, Transplantation – Most Popular Articles, etc.) go here: http://www.healthplusplus.com/wiki/List_of_RSS_feeds_on_health
- National Institutes Of Health (www.nih.gov) - Get various health-related RSS feeds here: http://www.nih.gov/Subscriptions.htm
- US Food And Drug Administration (FDA) – Find FDA-related RSS feeds (e.g. criminal investigations, MedWatch safety alerts (human medical products), product recalls, radiological health, etc.) and podcasts here: http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/ContactFDA/StayInformed/RSSFeeds
- Department of Health UK (https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-of-health) – Latest news: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-of-health.atom
- The Department Of Health (Australian Government): http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/xml/rssLatestNews.xml
- Department Of Public Health (Australia – State Level): e.g. Western Australia – http://www.public.health.wa.gov.au/feed/?types=news
- Centers For Disease Control And Prevention (www.cdc.gov) - Get various health-related RSS feeds and podcasts here: http://www2c.cdc.gov/podcasts/rss.asp
- Medical News: You can search medical news feeds in places like the NYTimes RSS feeds section (e.g. Fitness & nutrition: http://www.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/nyt/Nutrition.xml)
- MedicineNet.com – MedTerms Medical Word of the Day: http://www.medicinenet.com/rss/dailyword.xml. You can also select individual feeds here (http://www.medicinenet.com/rss/article.htm) (e.g. Allergies, Mental Health, Nutrition, Food, & Recipes, Oral Health, Exercise & Fitness, Travel Health, etc.)
- MedicalNewsToday.com – Featured Headlines: http://rss.medicalnewstoday.com/featurednews.xml
- Medical News Today – You can also choose individual feeds here: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/newsfeeds-rss (e.g. Medical Students/Training, Fertility, Medical Insurance, Veterinary, Nursing/Midwifery, Medical Innovation, Medical Practice Management, etc.)
You can also just search online for general RSS feeds, e.g. “medical rss feeds” or search for feeds on specific subjects, e.g. “sexual health rss feeds”, “gynecology rss feeds”, “statins rss feeds”, etc.
(RSS feeds can help to improve your medical site’s user experience.)
Checklists & Charts
Checklists and medical forms are a great way to increase visitor engagement and add value to your audience. Charts and checklists can provide useful instructions and resources to perform a task. Charts and checklists can also be great educational tools.
Checklists, charts and medical forms could address subjects such as:
- Booking appointments
- Checklists for pre or post surgery
- Health checklists and charts for specific conditions
- Dental checklists – e.g. first visit, oral hygiene program, cosmetic dentistry, etc.
- Fitness and exercise program checklists and charts
- General charts & infographics (e.g. acidity level of different foods, sleep requirements at different stages of development, etc.)
Providing unique online tools and applications on your website can help increase visitor engagement and add significant value to your visitors. Health-related calculators are popular tools for your website. Other applications can include things like nutritional tools, and even recipes.
In part 2, we take a look at a several online tools you can add to your health-related site using WordPress plugins and themes that can also help improve search engine optimization, increase user engagement and drive more traffic to your business.
This is the end of section one of this article on ways to grow your health or medical business presence online.
Click on this link to continue reading:
"This is an awesome training series. I have a pretty good understanding of WordPress already, but this is helping me to move somewhere from intermediate to advanced user!" - Kim Lednum