Grow Your Medical Or Healthcare Business Online With WordPress
The digital age has not only revolutionized business worldwide, it has also created new challenges and great opportunities for medical-related businesses.
Online Challenges For Health Businesses
Today, more than ever, health and medical services professionals must work harder to stand out from the crowd and find new clients. Not only do you have to participate in the community you serve, you must also develop a strong web presence. This includes having a dynamic website and learning how to better promote your practice online.
As well as spending money in offline marketing, businesses in the medical or health-related industry are now finding that they need to designate a larger portion of their marketing budget towards developing and managing a website that will attract leads, engage visitors, outrank the competition in search engines and social media, and help create wider exposure online.
This means that your website not only has to look great, your web pages have to load fast, and be easy to navigate, but even more importantly, the needs of your website will change in time and some areas will need to be updated frequently. This requires implementing well-developed web and content management strategy.
Another challenge that medical or health businesses face online (as do most businesses for that matter), is that your site has only around thirty seconds or less to provide users with what they are searching for or they will look elsewhere.
“Websites have evolved into central information hubs where service information is still present but enhanced with web portals, hyperlinks to state and federal sites, and a variety of free tools.”
Opportunities For Medical And Health Businesses In The Digital Economy
As well as facing a number of significant business and technology changes, there are also plenty of online opportunities available to businesses in the health industry that are willing to evolve to meet digital challenges and who can think progressively in terms of improving their online marketing skills.
In this guide, you will discover a number of ways to generate more web traffic and improve your business results online.
As well as providing tips and information on ways to improve your medical business online, we also recommend that you consider using the WordPress CMS platform to power your health-related business website or blog.
To learn more about the benefits and advantages of using WordPress, go here:
- Discover How A Poorly Constructed Website Can Lose You Money And What To Do About It
- Using A WordPress Site To Grow A Successful Small Business Online
Practical Tips To Improve Your Website
We’ll start first by covering the basic information you need. In this section, we’ll look at how to improve your medical website and get better results. We show you what pages you need, what content works best for medical-related sites, your layout and navigation, etc.
If you need help with website planning, check out the article we have written here: A Practical Guide To Web Site Planning For Business Owners
Improving Your Website Pages
Professional business websites need a number of basic web pages. Let’s go over these.
Products And Services Page
It’s essential to have a page that explains your services and products. Depending on which area of health you specialize in, this page can list services such as:
- Medicine & Surgery – e.g. anaesthetics, orthopedics endocrinology, cancer, gerontology, respiratory, weight loss surgery, ophtalmology surgical outpatients, etc.
- Dental Services – e.g. cosmetic dentistry, children’s dentistry, bad breath treatment, restorations, dentofacial orthopedics, emergency dental services, etc.
- Cardiology – e.g. cardiac patient rehabilitation, coronary care
- Prenatal/Neonatal – e.g. obstetrics, midwifery, etc.
- Child Health services – paediatrics, child development, children services, etc.
- Diagnostic – mammography, skin cancer, audiology, pap smears, psychosis, food allergy testing, etc.
- Pathology – lab testing and analysis, emergency pathology testing, food and water testing, speech pathology, etc
- Counselling services – mental health services, alcohol, tobacco & other drug counselling, domestic abuse, diet and nutrition counselling, social work services
- Alternative treatments – Chinese medicine, aromatherapy, natural therapy, tai chi, chiropractic, hypnotherapy, etc.
- Other medical services – diet and nutrition, chiropody, fertility services, physiotherapy, medical genetics, prosthetics, sleep therapy, home care, community health, medical equipment, etc.
Make sure to list all of the services you provide, not just the ones you specialize in. Educate your visitors about the benefits of using these services and why they should choose you.
About Us Page
The ‘About Us’ page should give a description of your business and what your business stands for, its unique approach, causes that you support, etc.
It’s important to list any health or medical-related awards, accreditations, recognitions, certifications, publications, associations, etc., that can be used to promote your practice and set yourself above other competitors.
(List all of your awards certifications, recognitions, accreditations, publications, associations, etc. in your About Us page. Screenshot image sourced from: squaremedical.com.au)
Team Profile Page
If you are looking for ways to sell more products or services online, then one of the things you can do, is make it easier for prospective clients to get to know, like and trust you and your organization better.
People need to relate to your business. A great way to do that is to have a page that introduces your staff or team members. It should include a photo and a brief biography. Since most visitors won’t be well-versed in medical or health terms it should tell who they are and what their specialties are. It should also explain what those specialized areas do. It can also include social buttons so your site visitors can follow your team members on their social networks.
In this page, make sure to outline each team member’s expertise, why they are an asset to your team, and more importantly, how they can help add value to your clients’ business.
(Add a page that introduces your team to prospective new clients. Screenshot image source: southperthchiro.com.au)
If you need help how to easily add a directory of staff or team members to WordPress using a free plugin, go here: Adding A Staff List Directory
Career Opportunities Page
List any career opportunities available within your company. This page should include type of training provided, benefits, advancement opportunities, social aspects of working for your organization, etc. You should also include information such as the job outlook and new career opportunities in the health industry.
Maintain a positions available section in your page. If there are no positions currently available, consider inviting people to return periodically to the page, subscribe to your announcements list, follow you on social media, etc.
Case studies and client reviews are a great way to attract potential clients and showcase your services. Adding a web page with reviews from clients and case studies also provides potential clients with social proof.
(Add a page with case studies and client reviews. Screenshot image sourced from: arrowsmiledental.com)
To learn more about using client testimonials and client reviews, refer to this article: How To Turn More Visitors Into Qualified Leads With Standout Testimonials
A functional contact page is essential.
It should include:
- Business Name
- Email address
- Google Map
- Web URL
- Contact form
- Name of person to contact
- Links to social media networks
- Interactive chat
If you operate out of multiple locations you should make that clear when showing your address and contact information.
You could also include a few links point to commonly-asked questions page, frequently-visited pages, booking request, support area, newsletter opt-in form, blog, etc.
Add A Blog Section
A blog is a powerful business marketing tool. Blogs are built around a content management system that is simple to use and allows you to promote your business using timely content such as news, updates, training articles and tutorials, opinions on current topics, videos, infographics, etc.
If you already have an established website, then consider adding a WordPress-powered blog to market your business.
If you don’t have a website yet, or if your existing website is hard to manage or not delivering you the results you want, then WordPress can act both as your website and business blog.
Very few businesses know that an expertly configured WordPress site can turn your web presence into an automated traffic system that will help attract new visitors to your website, simply by adding new content to your website on a regular basis.
(An expertly configured WordPress site can drive new traffic automatically to your website)
For more details, go here:
Legal Info Pages
As a professional health or medical services practitioner, having a compliant website is important. This is not only important for establishing credibility with prospective clients, but also to ensure that you are not breaking any laws and regulations wherever your practice is located.
Depending on what services you provide, adding some or all of the following legal pages to your health-related site will help you stay out of trouble with most regulatory authorities, third-party service providers, and other potential legal threats and inconveniences:
- Contact Page
- Privacy Statement
- Terms And Conditions Of Use
- Website Disclaimer
- Affiliate Agreement
- Anti-Spam Policy
- Compensation Disclosure
- DMCA Notice
- Earnings Disclaimer
- External Linking Policy
- Health/Financial Disclaimers
- Refund Policy
- Video/Audio Terms
- and others
Go here if you would like to learn more about adding legal pages to your website: The Importance Of Adding Legal Pages To Your Website
Tips For Improving Your Web Content
In today’s highly competitive global economy, the sooner you begin to publish content on your site, the quicker you will begin to see results and differentiate yourself from other competing businesses.
Provide great content with useful information, advice or tips that will get your visitors sharing your information online and coming back for more. Using content is a great way to inform and teach your visitors and prospective clients about using your services.
For example, if your business provides weight loss services, then some of the areas you could write content about include:
- What to do before you start any weight loss program (e.g. consult with doctor, record measurements, set goals, etc.)
- How to identify the bad habits you need to correct to ensure lifetime weight loss
- Dieting pills (common ones, side effects, long term results, do they work?)
- How to modify recipes for achieving healthier results (e.g. substituting sugars, fats, etc.)
You can also create a series of informative articles that will help your your prospective clients understand your health or medical-related services, by explaining benefits, procedures, terminology, etc.
Use the same keywords and terms in your content that readers will be searching for online.
We recommend subscribing to our Content Marketing Email Training Series. You will receive a comprehensive series of training emails with actionable information and practical tips that will teach you how to drive more traffic to your website or blog, save money creating high-quality content that will add value to your visitors and grow your website using content marketing. It’s not only a great course with loads of useful information, it’s also 100% FREE!
Tips For Improving Visitor Engagement And User Experience
Improving your site’s user experience (known as UX) helps you keep visitors coming back and engaging with your site. This section will show you different ways to improve your visitor engagement and UX.
Syndicating Content Using RSS Feeds
RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feeds can help to improve your visitor engagement and user experience in several ways.
If you provide useful content, other businesses may want to syndicate your content to their visitors.
Some of the benefits of having other businesses syndicate your content, include:
- All of your content updates are in one place
- Doesn’t rely on email
- Your feeds can be shared and picked up by other sites online
- Allows for subscribing
- A feed provides a way for links to point back to your site
- Your feeds can be submitted to RSS directories and aggregators
- RSS provides various ways for your readers to receive your content (e.g. read the content on their mobile device using feed readers)
- RSS is built into WordPress
There are also a number of benefits when it comes to adding syndicated content to your site from other sites, such as the fact that you don’t have to write, manage or update the content.
You can find many useful RSS feeds for your website by visiting sites of relevant government departments and respected industry bodies.
For example, here are some useful RSS feeds you could consider adding to a health or medical site:
- US Department Of Health And Human Services – e.g. Blog RSS feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/SelectedHhsBlogPosts, etc. You can also select specific feeds, like feeds on women’s health issues (e.g. Breast cancer, Fitness and nutrition, Heart health and stroke, Mental health, Screening tests and vaccines, etc.) here: http://womenshealth.gov/news/rss/rss-feeds.html
- US National Libraries Of Medicine – For a list of feeds from well-known medical journals, publications and websites (e.g. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, ADA DiabetesCare , BMJ Sexually Transmitted Infections, BMJ Occupational and Environmental Medicine, ADA DOC News, etc.) go here: http://www.healthplusplus.com/wiki/List_of_RSS_feeds_on_health
- National Institutes Of Health - Get many health-related RSS feeds here: http://www.nih.gov/Subscriptions.htm
- US Food And Drug Administration (FDA) – Get feeds on fda-related news and topics like enforcement reports, food safety, recalls, foods, etc. and podcasts here: http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/ContactFDA/StayInformed/RSSFeeds
- Department of Health UK (https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-of-health) – Latest news: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-of-health.atom
- The Department Of Health (Australian Government): http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/xml/rssLatestNews.xml
- Department Of Public Health (Australia – State Level): e.g. NSW – http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/pages/rss.aspx
- Centers For Disease Control And Prevention (www.cdc.gov) - Get many RSS feeds on health-related topics and podcasts here: http://www2c.cdc.gov/podcasts/rss.asp
- Medical News: You can search medical news feeds in places like the NYTimes RSS feeds section (e.g. Health news: http://www.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/nyt/Health.xml)
- MedicineNet – Daily Health and Medical News: http://www.medicinenet.com/rss/dailyhealth.xml. You can also select specific RSS feeds here (http://www.medicinenet.com/rss/article.htm) (e.g. Alzheimer’s Disease, Men’s health, Neurology, Pediatrics / Healthy Kids, Digestion, Thyroid, etc.)
- Medical News Today – MNT Featured Headlines: http://rss.medicalnewstoday.com/featurednews.xml
- Medical News Today – You can also choose individual feeds here: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/newsfeeds-rss (e.g. Pharma Industry/Biotech Industry, Headache/Migraine, Surgery, Flu/Cold/SARS, Men’s Health, Cleft Palate, Restless Legs Syndrome, etc.)
You can also just search online for general feeds, e.g. “medical rss feeds” or search for feeds on specific topics, e.g. “cervical cancer rss feeds”, “diabetes rss feeds”, “erectile dysfunction rss feeds”, etc.
(Using RSS feeds can help to improve your medical or health site’s UX.)
Add Downloadable Charts & Checklists
Adding checklists and charts to your site is a great way to help increase visitor engagement, add value to your readers and provide something unique. Checklists and charts can provide useful information and resources to get necessary steps performed. They can also be great client educational tools.
You can provide checklists and forms (or links to these) covering a range of subjects such as:
- Booking appointments
- Checklists for post-surgery recovery
- Health checklists and charts for specific systems
- Dental checklists – e.g. first visit, caries prevention program, cosmetic dentistry, etc.
- Fitness and exercise program checklists and charts
- General charts & infographics (e.g. caloric level of different foods, the importance of sleep at different stages of development, etc.)
Add Other Tools
Providing useful tools, gadgets and applications on your website is a great way to increase visitor engagement and significantly add value to your visitors. Calculators, for example are great tools to add to your website. Others would include things like diagnostic tools, or even recipes.
In part 2 of this guide, we take a look at a number of WordPress-based tools you can add to your medical-related website that can also help to improve your search engine optimization, increase user engagement and drive more web traffic to your business.
This is the end of part 1 of this article on ways to grow your medical or health business presence online.
To continue, click here:
- How To Build And Grow Your Health & Medical Clinic Business Online Successfully With WordPress – Part 2
"Your training is the best in the world! It is simple, yet detailed, direct, understandable, memorable, and complete." Andrea Adams, FinancialJourney.org