Grow Your Medical Or Healthcare Business Online With WordPress
The online economy has not only transformed businesses worldwide, it has also created a number of difficult challenges and opportunities for businesses offering health services.
Challenges Professional Medical Providers Face Online
Now, more than ever, businesses in the medical industry must work harder than ever to remain competitive. Not only do you have to participate in the community you serve, you must also develop a strong presence online. This includes having an effective website and figuring out better ways to market your practice online.
In addition to spending dollars in offline marketing activities, you will probably find (if you haven’t already) that in order to compete, you will need to assign a more significant portion of your marketing budget towards the development and maintenance of a website that drives prospects, engages users, outranks the competition in search engines and helps to increase your presence online.
This means that your website not only has to look professional, load fast, and be easy to navigate, but even more importantly, the needs of the website may change over time and many aspects may need to be updated frequently. This requires implementing well-developed web and content management strategy.
Another challenge that health organizations (and other professions) face, is that your site has only around 30 seconds or less to help visitors find what they are searching for or they will find what they are looking for elsewhere.
“Websites have evolved into central information hubs where service information is still present but enhanced with web portals, hyperlinks to state and federal sites, and a variety of free tools.”
Opportunities For Health And Medical Services Professionals In The Digital Economy
As well as facing many new business and technology changes, there are also many online opportunities available to health or medical-related businesses that are willing to adapt to meet digital demands and think strategically in terms of improving their online business marketing skills.
This article will help you uncover new opportunities to drive more traffic and improve your online results.
As well as providing useful website improvement tips, we also focus on the benefits and advantages of using WordPress to power your medical-related business website or blog.
To learn more about the benefits and advantages of using the WordPress content management system, see the articles below:
- Why A Poorly Designed Web Site Can Cost You Money And What To Do About It
- How To Grow Your Business With A WordPress Blog
Tips To Improve Your Medical Practice Site
This section will show you how to improve your website and get better results. We will look at what pages you need, what type of content works best, suggestions for improving navigation structure, etc.
If you need help with website planning, read this detailed step-by-step guide we have written: A Practical Guide To Web Site Planning For Business Owners
Your Web Pages
All business websites need some basic web pages. Let’s review the pages your should have and how to structure your medical-related website for best results.
Services And Products Description Page
It’s essential to have a page that lists your products and services. Depending on which area of health you specialize in, your page can list services such as:
- Medicine & Surgery – e.g. acute pain management, pulmonology diabetes, oncology, aged care, respiratory, gastroenterology, eye diseases day surgery, etc.
- Dental Services – e.g. general dentistry, children’s dentistry, oral hygiene, restorations, dentofacial orthopedics, emergency dentistry, etc.
- Cardiology – e.g. heart monitoring, coronary care
- Prenatal and Postnatal – e.g. birthing, maternity services, etc.
- Child Health services – paediatrics, child development, children services, etc.
- Diagnostic services – breast screening, lung screening, radiology and imaging, pap smears, MRI scanning, allergy testing, etc.
- Pathology services – lab testing and analysis, emergency pathology testing, clinical trials, speech pathology, etc
- Counselling services – mental health services, alcohol, tobacco & other drug counselling, domestic abuse, wellness coaching, social work services
- Alternative treatments – Chinese medicine, homeopathy, hydrotherapy, tai chi, chiropractic services, hypnosis, etc.
- Other medical services – weight management, podiatry, lymphedema therapy, rehabilitation, neurosciences, prosthetics, mobility, home care, sexual health, medical equipment, etc.
List all of the services you provide. Provide your visitors with information that will educate them about the benefits of using these services and direct them to your contact or appointment booking page.
About Us Page
This page should give a description of your business and what your business stands for, its unique approach, community events, etc.
This page should list any awards, recognitions, certifications, accreditations, publications, associations, etc., that you can use to promote your medical, dental, chiropractic, surgery services, etc. and position yourself above the competition.
(List all of your awards certifications, accreditations, recognitions, publications, associations, etc. in the About page. Image source: squaremedical.com.au)
Team Profile Page
If you are looking for quicker and easier ideas to grow your business online and get people to engage more with your site, then help your visitors get to know, like and trust your business better.
You want prospective clients to relate to your business. A great way to do that is to have a page that introduces your team members. It should include a photo and a mini bio. Since most visitors are probably not familiar with health-related terms your bio descriptions should tell who they are and what their specialties are. You may also want to explain what those specialized areas do. It can include social buttons that will allow your prospective clients to follow your staff members on their social networks.
In this page, make sure to highlight your staff member’s expertise and qualifications, why they are an invaluable asset to your team, and more importantly, how they can help add value to your clients’ business.
(Make sure to add a page that introduces your team members to prospective new clients. Screenshot image source: southperthchiro.com.au)
We have created a detailed tutorial on how to create and add an easy-to-maintain simple employee directory in your website using a free plugin here: Adding A Staff List Directory To Your WordPress Site
List any job or career opportunities within the company. It would include training provided, benefits, advancement opportunities, etc. You can also include information such as the job outlook and new career opportunities in the health or medical-related industry.
Include also a positions available section in your page. If there are no positions currently available, consider inviting people to return periodically to this page, join your newsletter, follow your social pages, etc.
Case Studies & Testimonials
Case studies and testimonials from previous clients are a great way to attract potential clients and showcase your services. By adding a page with case studies and reviews from clients, you are also helping to provide potential clients with social proof online for your business.
(Add a web page with case studies and reviews from clients. Screenshot image source: arrowsmiledental.com)
If you would like to learn more about using testimonials, case studies and reviews get better results online, go here: Turn More Visitors Into Qualified Leads With Standout Testimonials
Having a contact page is absolutely necessary.
It should include some or all of the following information about your practice:
- Telephone number
- Contact email
- Google Map and directions
- Website address
- Contact form
- Request for information – who to contact
- Links to social media pages
- Interactive chat
If your business services different areas you should make that clear when displaying your address and contact information.
You can also include a few links point to commonly-asked questions page, useful pages, booking request, helpdesk, newsletter opt-in form, blog, etc.
Add A Health Or Medical Blog
A blog can be a very powerful marketing tool for your business. Many blogging platforms typically comprise of a content management system that is easy to use and allows you to promote your business by publishing timely content such as events, product releases, training articles, opinions and discussions, videos, infographics, etc.
If you already have an established health or medical-related site, then consider adding a WordPress-powered blog to create more exposure for your practice.
If you don’t have a website yet, or if your existing website is very hard to keep updated with new content or not delivering you the results you want, then WordPress can be used both as your business website and blog.
Very few people know that an expertly configured WordPress site can become an automated traffic-generation machine that can instantly drive targeted visitors to your business, simply by publishing regular content to your site.
(An expertly configured WordPress site can generate traffic automatically to your site)
Go here to learn more:
As a professional medical services provider, ensuring that you have a website that complies will all legal requirements online is vital. This is not only important for building trust with prospective clients, but also to ensure that no local, regional or federal laws or regulations are being breached in whatever region you provide services.
Adding the legal pages below to your site will help you stay out of trouble with most regulatory authorities, third-party service providers (e.g. Google), and other potential legal threats or inconveniences:
- Contact Us
- Privacy Statement
- Terms And Conditions
- Website Disclaimer
- Affiliate Agreement
- Anti-Spam Policy
- Compensation Disclosure
- DMCA Notice
- Earnings Disclaimer
- External Linking Policy
- Health and Financial Disclaimers
- Refund Policy
- Video/Audio Terms
- and others
We have written a detailed article about adding legal pages to your website. Go here to learn more: What You Need To Know About Adding Legal Pages To Your WordPress Site
Tips On How To Improve The Content On Your Website
In today’s globally competitive economy, being generous with information has become one of the key differentiators for businesses.
Providing great content with advice, information or tips will get your visitors to share your web pages online with others and come back for more content. Publishing content is a great way to educate site visitors and prospective clients about your business and services.
For example, if your business provides products or services that help people manage their weight, then some of the areas you can write about include the following:
- What is fiber and how can it help you with weight loss?
- How to identify the bad habits you need to correct to ensure lifetime weight loss
- How you eat your food - just as important as what you eat (eat at table, chew slowly)
- What processed foods can ruin your diet (and healthier choices)
- And many other content topics
You can also create a series of educational articles that will help your readers understand your medical or health-related services, by explaining benefits, procedures, terminology, etc.
Include the keywords and terms in your articles that your prospective clients would search to find you online.
We recommend subscribing to our Content Marketing Email Training Series. You will receive regular training emails with easy-to-digest information that will show exactly how to drive more traffic to your web site, save money creating high-quality content for your visitors and grow your website using content marketing strategies. It’s not only a great course with loads of useful information, it’s also 100% FREE!
Improve Visitor Engagement And User Experience
Improving your user experience (known as UX) helps to keep visitors coming back and using your site. This section will show you different ways to improve visitor engagement and UX.
RSS feeds can help to improve visitor engagement and UX in many ways.
If you provide valuable information, other businesses will want to syndicate your content.
Some of the benefits of having other businesses syndicate your content, include:
- All of your updates are kept in one place
- Content distribution doesn’t rely on email
- Feeds can be shared
- Users can subscribe to your RSS feed
- It provides links back to your content
- RSS feeds can be submitted to RSS directories
- There are various ways your readers can receive your content (e.g. read your content on their mobile device using different applications)
- RSS is built into WordPress
There are also benefits to adding syndicated content to your website from other websites, such as the fact that you don’t have to write, manage or update the content.
You can find many useful RSS feeds for your website by visiting sites of relevant government departments and key industry bodies.
For example, here are a few useful RSS feeds you could consider adding to your site:
- US Department Of Health And Human Services – e.g. Latest news feed: http://www.hhs.gov/rss/news/hhsnews.xml, etc. You can search by departments and choose specific feeds, like feeds on women’s health issues (e.g. Breast cancer, Health care for women, Heart health and stroke, Minority women’s health, Smoking and how to quit, etc.) here: http://womenshealth.gov/news/rss/rss-feeds.html
- US National Libraries Of Medicine – For a list of RSS feeds from leading medical journals, publications and websites (e.g. BMJ Disease in Childhood – Education and Practice, Nutrition Journal, TheLancet.com, BMJ Tobacco Control, The New England Journal of Medicine, etc.) go here: http://www.healthplusplus.com/wiki/List_of_RSS_feeds_on_health
- National Institutes Of Health (www.nih.gov) - Find various health-related feeds here: http://www.nih.gov/Subscriptions.htm
- US Food And Drug Administration (FDA) – Find feeds on fda-related news like consumer health information updates, FDA drug shortages, tainted products, vaccines, blood and biologics, etc. and podcasts here: http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/ContactFDA/StayInformed/RSSFeeds
- UK Department Of Health (www.gov.uk) – Latest news: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-of-health.atom
- The Department Of Health (Australian Government): http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/xml/rssLatestNews.xml
- Department Of Public Health (Australia – State Level): e.g. NSW – http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/pages/rss.aspx
- Centers For Disease Control And Prevention - Find various feeds on health-related news and topics and podcasts here: http://www2c.cdc.gov/podcasts/rss.asp
- Medical News: You can search medical news RSS feeds in places like the NYTimes RSS feeds section (e.g. Health news: http://www.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/nyt/Health.xml)
- MedicineNet.com – MedTerms Medical Word of the Day: http://www.medicinenet.com/rss/dailyword.xml. You can also select specific RSS feeds here (http://www.medicinenet.com/rss/article.htm) (e.g. Lung Conditions, Mental Health, Neurology, Depression, Prevention & Wellness, Skin, etc.)
- MedicalNewsToday.com – Featured Headlines: http://rss.medicalnewstoday.com/featurednews.xml
- Medical News Today – You can also choose specific feeds here: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/newsfeeds-rss (e.g. Urology/Nephrology, Pharmacy/Pharmacist, Radiology/Nuclear Medicine, Swine Flu, Men’s Health, Prostate/Prostate Cancer, Tuberculosis, etc.)
You can also search online for general RSS feeds, e.g. “medical rss feeds” or search for feeds on specific topics, e.g. “schizophrenia rss feeds”, “hearing rss feeds”, “IBD rss feeds”, etc.
(Adding RSS feeds can help to improve your medical or health website’s UX.)
Checklists & Forms
Checklists and charts are a great way to increase visitor engagement and add value to your visitors. Charts and checklists can give them useful step-by-step instructions and resources to complete tasks. Forms and checklists are great client instructional tools.
Checklists, charts and medical forms can address areas such as:
- Checklists/forms for booking appointments
- Checklists for pre or post surgery
- Health checklists and charts for specific medical conditions
- Dental checklists – e.g. first visit, maintenance program, cosmetic dentistry, etc.
- Weight loss and exercise program checklists
- General charts & infographics (e.g. sugar content in different foods, sleep requirements at different stages of development, etc.)
Providing unique tools and applications on your site is a great way to increase visitor engagement and significantly add value to your visitors. Calculators are some of the most popular tools for your website. Other tools would include things like nutritional tools, and even recipes.
In the next section of this detailed article, we look at a number of online tools you can use in your health or medical website using WordPress plugins that can also help improve your search engine optimization, improve user engagement and drive more web traffic to your business.
This is the end of part 1.
To continue, click here:
- Your Medical Center Website – WordPress Plugins & Themes For Improving Search Engine Optimization, Increasing User Engagement And Driving More Visitors To Your Website
"Learning WordPress has been a huge stumbling block for me. I've been looking for something that covers absolutely everything but doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Thank you so much ... you have just provided me with what I have been looking for! Truly appreciated!" - Tanya