Grow Your Medical Or Healthcare Business Online With WordPress
The digital age has not only revolutionized business around the world, it has also created an increasing number of challenges and great opportunities for medical and health services professionals and financial service providers.
Challenges Medical Practitioners Face Online
Today, more than ever, businesses in the medical and health sector must work harder than ever to remain competitive. Not only do you have to participate in the community you serve, you must also maintain a strong digital presence. This includes having a website and learning how to better promote your services online.
As well as investing money in offline marketing activities, you will probably find that in order to remain competitive, increasingly larger amounts of their marketing budget need to be assigned towards developing and managing a website that attracts new clients, engages visitors, outperforms the competition in search engines and helps you gain a wider amount of marketing reach online.
This means that your website not only has to look great, your web pages have to load fast, and be easy to navigate, but even more importantly, your site’s needs may change over time and sections will need to be updated often. This requires a well-developed web and content management strategy.
Another problem that health services providers (and all other professions) face, is that your site has around thirty seconds to give users the information they are searching for or they will go elsewhere to get their needs met.
“Websites have evolved into central information hubs where service information is still present but enhanced with web portals, hyperlinks to state and federal sites, and a variety of free tools.”
Opportunities For The Health Profession In The Web Economy
As well as facing many business and technology changes, there are also plenty of online opportunities available to health or medical practices that can evolve to meet digital economy demands and think strategically about improving their online business marketing skills.
In this comprehensive guide, you will learn ways to increase traffic and improve your medical or health-related business presence online.
As well as providing useful website improvement tips, we also emphasize the benefits and advantages of using the WordPress platform to power your medical or health website or blog.
For more information about the benefits and advantages of using the WordPress content management system (CMS), see these articles:
- How A Poorly Designed Website Can Lose You Business And What To Do About It
- Learning WordPress – The Small Business Owner’s Guide
Practical Tips To Improve Your Medical Services And Health-Related Website
This section covers how to improve your medical or health website and get better results online. We will look at what pages your site needs, what type of content works best, your layout and navigation structure, etc.
If you need website planning assistance, go here: A Basic Guide To Web Site Planning For Non-Technical Business Owners
Your Web Pages
All business websites require a number of basic pages. Let’s take a look at these.
Services And Products Description Page
It’s essential to have a page that lists your products and services. Depending on which area of health or medical services you specialize in, your page could list services such as:
- Medicine & Surgery – e.g. anaesthetics, nephrology haematology, reconstructive surgery, geriatric medicine, rheumatology, bariatric surgery, optometry surgical outpatients, etc.
- Dental Services – e.g. cosmetic dentistry, holistic dentistry, gum disease, teeth whitening, implants, emergency dentistry, etc.
- Cardiology – e.g. cardiac patient rehabilitation, chronic heart conditions
- Prenatal/Neonatal – e.g. birthing, midwifery, etc.
- Child Health – paediatrics, child development, children services, etc.
- Diagnostic services – breast screens, skin cancer, audiology, women’s health, MRI scanning, allergy testing, etc.
- Pathology services – lab testing and analysis, routine pathology testing, occupational and environmental testing, speech pathology, etc
- Counselling services – mental health services, alcohol, tobacco & other drug services, trauma counselling, wellness coaching, social development services
- Alternative treatments – Chinese medicine, reflexology, functional medicine, tai chi, chiropractic, hypnotherapy, etc.
- Other medical services/therapies – diet and nutrition, othopedics, lymphedema therapy, occupational therapy, medical genetics, artificial limbs, assisted living, home and community care, community health, medical supplies, etc.
List all of the services you provide. Educate your visitors about the benefits of using these services and direct them to your appointment booking page.
About Us Page
The ‘About Us’ page should give a description of your business and what it stands for, its unique approach, community events, etc.
It’s important to include any medical or health-related awards, accreditations, certifications, recognitions, associations, publications, etc., that can be used to promote your practice and position yourself above other competitors.
(List all of your awards certifications, accreditations, recognitions, associations, publications, etc. in your About Us page. Image sourced from: squaremedical.com.au)
Meet The Team
Are you looking for cost-effective ways to sell more products or services online? Then help prospects get to know, like and trust your organization better.
Prospective clients need to relate to your business. A great way to do that is to have a page that introduces your staff members. It should include a photo and a mini biography. Since most visitors will not tend to be very well-versed in medical terms your descriptions should tell who they are and what their specialties are. You may also want to explain what those specialized areas do. It can include social buttons that will allow your site visitors to follow some of your staff members on their social pages.
On this page, make sure to outline your employee’s expertise and qualifications, why they are an invaluable asset to your team, and more importantly, how they can help add value to your clients’ business.
(Make sure to add a page that introduces your team members to prospective new clients. Image sourced from: southperthchiro.com.au)
We have written a detailed tutorial about how to create and add an easy-to-manage list of staff or team members to a WordPress site using free WordPress plugins here: Tutorial: How To Easily Add An Employee Directory In WordPress
Work For Us
List any job or career opportunities within the practice. It should include training offered, employee benefits, professional development, etc. You can also include case studies of graduates who have risen within your organization and information such as the job outlook and upcoming career opportunities in the medical-related industry.
Include also a positions available section in your page. If there are no positions currently available, consider inviting people to return periodically to this page, subscribe to your newsletter, follow you on social media, etc.
Case Studies & Testimonials
Case studies and reviews from clients are a great way to attract potential clients and showcase the services you offer. Adding a page with case studies and client reviews also provides visitors social proof online.
(Add a web page with case studies and reviews from clients. Image sourced from: arrowsmiledental.com)
We have written extensively about using testimonials and user reviews get better results online here: Discover How To Convert More Visitors Into Prospects Using Compelling User Testimonials
A clean contact page is absolutely necessary.
Your contact page should provide visitors with some or all of the following:
- Business Name
- Physical address
- Telephone number
- Contact email address
- Website address
- Contact form
- Name of person to contact
- Social media links
- Chat feature (optional feature)
If your business operates in several areas you want to make this clear when showing your address and contact info.
You can also include a few links point to commonly-asked questions page, useful pages, booking request, support page, newsletter, blog, etc.
Add A Blog
A blog is a powerful business marketing tool. Many blogging platforms typically comprise of a content management system that allows you to easily promote your business by publishing timely content such as news and events, product releases, useful articles, opinions and discussions, educational videos, infographics, etc.
If you already have an established health or medical-related site, then consider adding a WordPress blog to promote your medical organization.
If you don’t have a website yet, or if your existing health or medical site is very hard to manage or not delivering you the results you want, then WordPress can be used both as your website and business blog.
Something not many people know about, is that WordPress can turn your web presence into an automated traffic-generation system that will help attract web traffic to your site, simply by publishing new content on a regular basis to your website.
(An expertly configured WordPress site can generate traffic automatically to your website)
For more details:
- Web Traffic Blueprint – A Complete Guide To Getting More Traffic For Your Business Automatically With WordPress
Legal Information Pages
It’s vital to make sure they have a website that complies will all legal requirements online. This is not only important for building trust with prospective clients, but also to ensure that you are not breaking any laws and regulations wherever you practice.
Adding some or all of the legal pages below to your site will help you stay out of legal hot water with most regulatory authorities, third-party service providers (e.g. Facebook), and other potential sources of legal threats and inconveniences:
- Contact Page
- Terms And Conditions Of Use
- Website Disclaimer
- Affiliate Agreement
- Anti-Spam Policy
- Compensation Disclosure
- DMCA Notice
- Earnings Disclaimer
- External Linking Policy
- Health Disclaimers
- Refund Policy
- Video/Audio Terms
- and others
To learn more about adding legal pages to your website, see this article: What You Need To Know About Adding Legal Pages To Your Website
Improve Your Web Content
In today’s globally competitive economy, the willingness to deliver valuable content at no cost has become one of the key differentiators for businesses selling similar products or services.
Provide useful content with great advice, information and tips that will get your visitors sharing your web pages with others and coming back for more. Publishing content is the most effective way to inform and teach site visitors and prospective clients about using your products and services.
For example, if you provide weight loss services, then some of the areas you can write content about include:
- What is fiber and how can it help you with weight loss?
- Weight loss surgery – benefits vs risks (who should get it, risks, success rates)
- Hypnosis and weight loss
- Useful apps for tracking calories and exercise
You can also create a series of informative articles that will help your prospective clients gain a better understanding of your health or medical-related services, by explaining benefits, procedures, costs (including payment plans, insurance coverage, etc).
Include keywords and terms in your articles that your readers will search to find you online.
We recommend subscribing to our Content Marketing Email Training Series. You will receive regular training emails with easy-to-digest information that will show exactly how to drive more traffic to your web site, save money creating high-quality content that will add value to your site visitors and grow your business online using content. It’s not only a great course with loads of useful information, it’s also 100% FREE!
Improve Visitor Engagement And User Experience
Improving your user experience (known as UX) will help to keep visitors coming back and using your site. This section will show you ways you can improve visitor engagement and user experience.
RSS feeds can help to improve your visitor engagement and user experience in a number of different ways.
If you provide information that adds value to others, other businesses may want to syndicate your content.
Some of the benefits of having other businesses syndicate your content, include:
- All of your updates are kept in one place
- Doesn’t rely on email
- Your feeds can be shared
- Users can subscribe to your RSS feed
- It provides links to your site
- Your feeds can be submitted to RSS directories
- RSS provides several ways for readers to receive your content (e.g. subscribers can view your content on their mobile device using a feed reader)
- It’s built into WordPress
There are also a number of benefits when it comes to adding syndicated content to your site from other websites, such as the fact that you don’t have to write, manage or update the content.
To find useful RSS feeds for your website, search online for relevant government departments and industry bodies.
Here are some feeds containing useful information that you could consider adding to your website:
- US Department Of Health And Human Services – e.g. Blog posts RSS feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/SelectedHhsBlogPosts, etc. You can also choose specific feeds, like feeds on women’s health issues (e.g. Breastfeeding, Healthy aging, HIV/AIDS, Menopause, Violence against women, etc.) here: http://womenshealth.gov/news/rss/rss-feeds.html
- US National Libraries Of Medicine – For a directory of RSS feeds from leading medical journals, publications and websites (e.g. Journal of Neurophysiology, ADA DiabetesCare , European Heart Journal, Indian Journal of Psychiatry, BMJ Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health, etc.) go here: http://www.healthplusplus.com/wiki/List_of_RSS_feeds_on_health
- National Institutes Of Health - Find many health-related news feeds here: http://www.nih.gov/Subscriptions.htm
- FDA – Get FDA-related news feeds (e.g. FDA drug safety, FDA drug shortages, tainted products marked as dietary supplements, animal and veterinary news, etc.) and podcasts here: http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/ContactFDA/StayInformed/RSSFeeds
- Department of Health UK (https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-of-health) – Latest news: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-of-health.atom
- The Department Of Health (Australian Government): http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/xml/rssLatestNews.xml
- Department Of Public Health (Australia – State Level): e.g. Western Australia – http://www.public.health.wa.gov.au/feed/?types=news
- Centers For Disease Control And Prevention (www.cdc.gov) - Get many health-related RSS feeds and podcasts here: http://www2c.cdc.gov/podcasts/rss.asp
- Medical News: You can search medical news feeds by going to publications like the NYTimes RSS feeds section (e.g. Fitness & nutrition: http://www.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/nyt/Nutrition.xml)
- MedicineNet.com – MedTerms Medical Word of the Day: http://www.medicinenet.com/rss/dailyword.xml. You can also select individual feeds here (http://www.medicinenet.com/rss/article.htm) (e.g. Medications, Men’s health, Migraine Headaches, Pediatrics / Healthy Kids, Eyesight, Sleep, etc.)
- Medical News Today – Featured Headlines: http://rss.medicalnewstoday.com/featurednews.xml
- MedicalNewsToday.com – You can also select specific feeds here: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/newsfeeds-rss (e.g. Colorectal Cancer, Caregivers/Homecare, Compliance, Regulatory Affairs/Drug Approvals, Rehabilitation/Physical Therapy, Cosmetic Medicine/Plastic Surgery, Ear, Nose and Throat, etc.)
You can also just search online for general RSS feeds, e.g. “medical rss feeds” or search for feeds on specific subjects, e.g. “bird flu rss feeds”, “parkinson’s disease rss feeds”, “alzheimer’s rss feeds”, etc.
(RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feeds can help to improve your site’s user experience.)
Checklists & Forms
Adding checklists and medical forms to your site is a great way to increase user engagement and add value to your visitors. Checklists and charts can provide useful step-by-step instructions and resources to complete necessary steps. They are also great educational tools.
You can provide checklists and forms covering a range of topics such as:
- Booking appointments
- Checklists for post-surgery recovery
- Health checklists and charts for specific systems
- Dental checklists – e.g. first visit, oral maintenance program, general dentistry, etc.
- Fitness and nutrition program checklists and charts
- General charts & infographics (e.g. acidity level of different foods, sleep requirements at different stages of development, etc.)
Providing useful online tools and applications on your site is a great way to increase visitor engagement and add significant value to your potential clients. Calculators are some of the most popular tools for your website. Others could include things like nutritional tools, or even recipes.
In part two, we will look at a number of online tools you can add to your website using WordPress plugins that can also help improve search engine optimization, improve user engagement and generate more traffic to your business.
This is the end of part one.
Click here to access the rest of this article:
- The Complete Guide On How To Grow A Medical Services & Health-Related Business Online With WordPress – Part Two
"These tutorials have so much information and are easy to understand. If you use WordPress or plan to in the future these will help you with everything you need to know." - Valisa (Mesa, Arizona)