Grow Your Medical Or Healthcare Business Online With WordPress
The information economy has not only transformed business worldwide, it has also created many challenges and great opportunities for medical services providers and financial service providers.
Online Challenges For Health Professionals
Now, more than ever, health and medical services providers must work hard to remain competitive and source new clients. Not only do you have to become actively involved in the community your business serves, you must also maintain a strong digital presence. This includes having a dynamic website and learning how to better market your services online.
In addition to spending dollars in offline marketing activities like advertising on newspapers, ads in industry publications and magazines, radio and tv spots, etc., businesses in the medical or health industry are also finding that increasingly larger amounts of their budget need to be assigned to develop and maintain a website that drives clients, engages users, outperforms the competition in search engines and increases their marketing reach online.
This means that your site not only has to look professional, load fast, and be easy to navigate, but even more importantly, the needs of the website will change in time and sections may need to be frequently updated. This requires a well-developed web and content management strategy in place.
One other problem that medical or health-related businesses (and other businesses) face, is that they have only about thirty seconds to help visitors find the information they need or they will go away.
“Websites have evolved into central information hubs where service information is still present but enhanced with web portals, hyperlinks to state and federal sites, and a variety of free tools.”
Online Opportunities For Health Professionals
As well as facing many new business and technology changes, there are also loads of online opportunities available for health or medical businesses that can adapt to meet online challenges and think outside the box when it comes to marketing themselves better online.
This guide will help you uncover new opportunities to generate new potential clients and establish stronger online credibility for your business.
As well as providing useful website improvement tips, we also focus on the benefits and advantages of using WordPress to power your health business website or blog.
To learn more about the benefits and advantages of using the WordPress CMS platform, see these articles:
- Discover Why A Poorly Designed Web Site Can Lose You Prospective Customers
- Learn How To Grow Your Business With A WordPress Blog
Practical Tips For Improving Your Website
This section explains how to improve your medical website and get better results online. We will look at what pages a medical site needs, what type of content works best, your layout and navigation structure, etc.
If you need assistance or help planning your health-related website, read this article: A Comprehensive Guide To Website Planning For Business Owners
All business websites require several basic pages. Let’s go over these.
It’s essential to have a page that explains your services and any products that you offer. Depending on which area of health or medical services you specialize in, your page can list services like:
- Medicine & Surgery – e.g. anaesthetics, pulmonology haematology, oncology, gerontology, renal, infection control, optometry operating theaters, etc.
- Dentistry – e.g. preventive dentistry, children’s dentistry, gum disease, restorations, dentofacial orthopedics, emergency dentistry, etc.
- Cardiology – e.g. cardiac monitoring, coronary care
- Prenatal & Postnatal – e.g. birthing, midwifery, etc.
- Child Health – paediatrics, child development, children services, etc.
- Diagnostic services – breast screening, lung screening, oral health, pap smears, magnetic resonance imaging, allergy testing, etc.
- Pathology services – laboratory testing and analysis, emergency pathology testing, occupational and environmental testing, speech pathology, etc
- Counselling – mental health, alcohol, tobacco & other drug services, trauma counselling, wellbeing, social development services
- Alternative treatments – acupuncture, reflexology, natural therapy, shiatsu, chiropractic, hypnotherapy, etc.
- Other medical services – diet and nutrition, podiatry, fertility services, stomal therapy, medical genetics, artificial limbs, assisted living, home and community care, community health, medical equipment, etc.
Make sure to list all of the services you provide. Provide your visitors with information that will educate them about what your services do and direct them to your appointment booking page.
Who We Are
The ‘About Us’ page needs to describe your business and what your business stands for, its unique approach, philanthropy, etc.
It’s important to also mention any awards, certifications, recognitions, accreditations, associations, publications, etc., that could be used to promote your medical, dental, chiropractic, surgery services, etc. and position yourself above other competitors.
(List all of your industry awards certifications, recognitions, accreditations, publications, associations, etc. in the About page. Screenshot source: squaremedical.com.au)
Meet Our Team
If you are searching for quicker and easier ways to grow your business online, then help your prospective clients get to know your business better.
Your business needs to be relatable. One great way to do that is to have a page that introduces your team members. This page should include a photo and a brief bio. Since most visitors won’t be well-versed in health terms your bio descriptions should tell who they are and what they specialize in. You may also want to explain what those specialized areas mean. It can include social buttons so your prospective clients can follow individual staff members on their social networks.
On this page, don’t be afraid to humanize your team members with personal stories, hobbies, etc., but make sure to highlight your person’s experience, how their skills and knowledge add value or contribute to the success of your team, and more importantly, how they can help add value to your clients’ business.
(Make sure to add a page that introduces your staff or team members to prospective new clients. Screenshot source: southperthchiro.com.au)
If you need help how to create and add an easy-to-update simple team directory in WordPress with no coding skills required, refer to this step-by-step tutorial: How To Easily Add A Simple Staff Directory To Your WordPress Site
Work With Us
This is a listing of career opportunities available within your business. This page can include type of training provided, employee benefits, professional development, etc. You should also include information such as the job outlook and new career opportunities in the medical-related industry.
Also include a positions available section in your page. If there are no positions currently available, consider inviting people to return periodically to the page, join your updates list, follow you on social media, etc.
Case studies and testimonials are a great way to attract prospective clients and showcase the services you offer. By adding a page with testimonials and case studies, you will also help to provide social proof.
(Add a web page with case studies and testimonials. Image source: arrowsmiledental.com)
We have written a comprehensive article on using testimonials, case studies and reviews get better results online here: Discover How To Convert More Visitors Into Prospects Using Profit-Boosting Testimonials
Having a functional contact page is crucial.
Your contact page should include:
- Physical location
- Phone number
- Map and directions
- Web address
- Contact form
- Request for more information – contact details
- Links to social media pages
- Live chat feature
If your business services different locations you want to make this clear when displaying the address and contact info.
Consider also including links to an FAQ section, main pages, online booking request, support page, newsletter opt-in form, blog, etc.
Add A Blog Section
A blog can be a powerful business marketing tool. Many blogging platforms typically include a content management system that is easy to use and allows you to promote your business by publishing timely content like events, updates, training articles and tutorials, opinions and discussions, videos, webinars, etc.
If you already have an existing site, then consider adding a WordPress blog to promote your organization.
If you don’t have a website yet, or if your existing site is hard to keep updated or not delivering you the results you want, then WordPress can act both as your website and blog.
Something few people know about, is that an expertly configured WordPress site can become an automated traffic-generation machine that can begin delivering targeted traffic to your web site, simply by adding content to your website on a regular basis.
(An expertly configured WordPress site can generate new visitors automatically to your website)
Go here to learn more:
Legal Information Pages
It’s crucially important for professional businesses to ensure they have a compliant website. This is not only important for establishing credibility with prospective clients, but also to ensure that you are not breaking laws and regulations wherever you provide services.
Depending on the services you provide, adding the legal pages below to your website will help keep you out of legal hot water with most regulatory authorities, third-party service providers, and other potential legal threats or inconveniences:
- Contact Page
- Privacy Statement
- Terms And Conditions
- Website Disclaimer
- Affiliate Agreement
- Anti-Spam Policy
- Compensation Disclosure
- DMCA Notice
- Earnings Disclaimer
- External Linking Policy
- Health Disclaimers
- Refund Policy
- Video/Audio Terms
- and others
We have written a comprehensive article about adding legal pages to your website. Go here to learn more: Adding Legal Pages To Your Site
Ways To Improve Your Web Content
In today’s globally competitive economy, the sooner you start publishing good content on your site, the quicker you will begin to differentiate yourself from other competitors.
By providing great content with useful information, tips and advice, you will get your readers sharing your information and coming back for more. This is a great way to inform and educate your visitors and prospective clients about your services.
For example, if you provide weight loss services, then some of the areas you could write about include the following:
- Potential health issues caused by being overweight
- Tips for developing portion control habits (smaller plate, don’t put food on the table, more vegetables)
- Hypnosis and weight loss
- What processed foods can sabotage your weight loss goals (and healthier choices)
You can also create a series of informative articles that will help your your readers gain a better understanding of your medical services, by explaining benefits, procedures, terminology, etc.
Include the keywords in your content that your prospective clients would search for.
We recommend subscribing to our Content Marketing Email Training Series. You will receive regular training emails with easy-to-digest information and practical tips that will show exactly how to drive more traffic to your site, save money creating high-quality content for your visitors and grow your business online using content. It’s not only a great course with loads of useful information, it’s also 100% FREE!
Tips For Improving Visitor Experience
Improving your user experience (known as UX) will help to keep visitors coming back and engaging with your site. This section will show you ways you can improve visitor engagement and user experience.
Content Syndication – RSS Feeds
RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feeds provide many benefits for your website.
If you provide valuable content, other sites will want to syndicate your content to their visitors.
Some of the benefits of syndicating your content to other websites using RSS feeds, include:
- All of your updates are kept in one place
- Content distribution doesn’t rely on email
- Feeds can be shared online
- Allows for subscribing
- It provides links back to your content
- RSS feeds can be submitted to RSS directories and aggregators
- There are several ways readers can receive your content (e.g. view your content on their mobile device using feed readers)
- RSS is built into WordPress
There are also benefits when it comes to providing information on your website from other sites, such as the fact that you don’t have to write, manage or update the content.
To find useful RSS feeds for your website, search online for relevant government departments or well-known industry bodies.
For example, here are examples of RSS feeds you could add to your site:
- US Department Of Health And Human Services – e.g. Latest news feed: http://www.hhs.gov/rss/news/hhsnews.xml, etc. You can also select individual RSS feeds, like feeds on women’s health issues (e.g. Breastfeeding, Health care for women, HIV/AIDS, Menopause, Violence against women, etc.) here: http://womenshealth.gov/news/rss/rss-feeds.html
- US National Libraries Of Medicine – For a directory of feeds from leading medical journals, publications and websites (e.g. AHA Journals (American Heart Association Journals), ADA ClinicalDiabetes, JCI – The Journal of Clinical Investigation, BMJ Occupational and Environmental Medicine, BMJ British Journal of Ophthalmology, etc.) go here: http://www.healthplusplus.com/wiki/List_of_RSS_feeds_on_health
- National Institutes Of Health - Get many feeds on health-related news and topics here: http://www.nih.gov/Subscriptions.htm
- US Food And Drug Administration (FDA) – Get RSS feeds on fda-related news like consumer health information updates, food allergy reports, tainted products, cosmetics, etc. and podcasts here: http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/ContactFDA/StayInformed/RSSFeeds
- UK Department Of Health (www.gov.uk) – Latest news: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-of-health.atom
- The Department Of Health (Australian Government): http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/xml/rssLatestNews.xml
- Department Of Public Health (Australia – State Level): e.g. Victoria – http://www.health.vic.gov.au/rss/newsfeed.xml
- Centers For Disease Control And Prevention (www.cdc.gov) - Get many feeds on health-related topics and podcasts here: http://www2c.cdc.gov/podcasts/rss.asp
- Medical News Feeds: You can search medical news feeds in major news publications like the NYTimes feeds section (e.g. Health news: http://www.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/nyt/Health.xml)
- MedicineNet – Daily Health and Medical News: http://www.medicinenet.com/rss/dailyhealth.xml. You can also choose specific feeds here (http://www.medicinenet.com/rss/article.htm) (e.g. Allergies, Mental Health, Nutrition, Food, & Recipes, Pediatrics / Healthy Kids, Sexual Health, Women’s Health, etc.)
- Medical News Today – MNT Medical News Featured Headlines: http://rss.medicalnewstoday.com/featurednews.xml
- Medical News Today – You can also select specific feeds here: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/newsfeeds-rss (e.g. Colorectal Cancer, Pharmacy/Pharmacist, Depression, Flu/Cold/SARS, Parkinson’s Disease, Medical Innovation, Obesity/Weight Loss/Fitness, etc.)
You can also search online for general feeds, e.g. “medical rss feeds” or search for feeds on specific topics, e.g. “complementary medicine rss feeds”, “gynecology rss feeds”, “personal monitoring rss feeds”, etc.
(RSS feeds can help to improve your website’s user experience.)
Add Online Forms & Checklists
Checklists and explanatory charts are a fantastic way to help increase visitor engagement, add value to your visitors and provide something unique. Forms and checklists can provide visitors with step-by-step information and resources to perform a task. Charts and checklists can also be great client instructional tools.
You can provide checklists, charts and forms covering a range of topics such as:
- Booking appointments
- Checklists for pre or post treatment
- Health checklists for specific medical conditions
- Dental checklists – e.g. first visit, maintenance program, general dentistry, etc.
- Fitness and nutrition program checklists and charts
- General charts & infographics (e.g. caloric level of different foods, sleep requirements at different stages of development, etc.)
Providing unique tools, gadgets and applications on your website can help increase visitor engagement and add significant value to your visitors. Health-related calculators are some of the most popular tools for your website. Other tools would include things like nutritional tools, or even recipes.
In part two, we discuss a several WordPress-based tools you can use in your website that can also help to improve seo, improve user engagement and generate more visitors to your business.
This is the end of part 1.
To continue, click this link:
- Grow Your Medical And Health Center Services Website – WordPress Plugins & Themes For Improving SEO, Increasing User Engagement And Generating More Traffic
"Your training is the best in the world! It is simple, yet detailed, direct, understandable, memorable, and complete." Andrea Adams, FinancialJourney.org