Grow Your Medical Or Healthcare Business Online With WordPress
The digital business age has not only revolutionised the way business is done around the world, it has also created growing challenges and great opportunities for businesses offering health services.
Online Challenges For Medical Practitioners
Today, more than ever, health and medical services practitioners must find smarter ways to remain competitive and source new clientele. Not only do you have to actively participate in the community you serve, you must also maintain a strong digital presence. This includes having an effective website and figuring out smarter ways to promote your medical services online.
In addition to spending dollars in offline marketing, you will probably find (if you haven’t already) that in order to compete with other medical-related businesses, increasingly larger amounts of their marketing budget need to be allocated towards developing and maintaining a website that can drive new leads, engage visitors, outrank the competition in search engines and social media, and help give your business wider exposure online.
This means that your site not only has to look great, your pages have to be fast-loading, and your site has to be easy to navigate, but it’s also important to keep in mind that the needs of the website may change in time and some aspects may need to be frequently updated. This requires the implementation of a sound web and content management strategy.
One other problem that health-related organizations face online, as most other businesses do for that matter, is that you have around 30 seconds to give visitors what they are searching for or they will go away.
“Websites have evolved into central information hubs where service information is still present but enhanced with web portals, hyperlinks to state and federal sites, and a variety of free tools.”
Opportunities For Health And Medical Businesses In The Web Economy
As well as facing a number of significant challenges, there are also many online opportunities available for businesses in the health sector that can evolve to meet digital challenges and who can think progressively when it comes to marketing themselves better online.
In this detailed guide, you will discover new ways to source new clientele and establish online credibility for your health or medical business.
As well as providing practical tips and information on ways to improve your health or medical-related web presence, we also focus on the benefits and advantages of using the WordPress Content Management System to power your health-related website.
For more information about the benefits and advantages of using the WordPress Content Management System, go here:
- Why A Poorly Designed Website Can Cost You Potential Buyers
- Using WordPress To Grow Your Business Online
Useful Tips For Improving Your Health & Medical Clinic Site
In this section we will show you ways to improve your medical-related website and get better results online. We will look at what pages you need, what type of content works best for medical or health-related sites, navigation structure, etc.
If you need assistance or help planning your medical or health-related website, read this detailed step-by-step guide: A Practical Guide To Website Planning For Non-Technical Business Owners
Your Web Pages
Professional business websites require a number of basic web pages. Let’s review the pages your should have and how to structure your website for best results.
Products And Services Description Page
You need a page that explains your services and any products that you offer. Depending on which area of health or medical services you specialize in, your page can include services such as:
- Medicine & Surgery – e.g. anaesthetics, neurosurgery haematology, cosmetic surgery, stroke, renal, colon/rectal surgery, eye diseases palliative care, etc.
- Dental Services – e.g. cosmetic dentistry, holistic dentistry, oral hygiene, teeth whitening, dentofacial orthopedics, emergency dentistry, etc.
- Cardiology – e.g. heart surgery, coronary care
- Prenatal & Neonatal – e.g. birthing, maternity services, etc.
- Child Health services – paediatrics, child development, children services, etc.
- Diagnostic – breast screening, lung screening, radiology, pap smears, MRI scanning, food allergy testing, etc.
- Pathology services – laboratory testing and analysis, routine pathology testing, clinical trials, speech pathology, etc
- Counselling services – mental health, alcohol, tobacco & other drug services, trauma counselling, diet and nutrition counselling, social development services
- Alternative treatments – Chinese medicine, homeopathy, reiki, yoga, chiropractic, hypnotherapy, etc.
- Other medical services/therapies – diet and nutrition, othopedics, lymphedema therapy, rehabilitation, neurosciences, artificial limbs, assisted living, home and community care, sexual health, medical supplies, etc.
List all of the services you provide, not just the ones you specialize in. Educate your visitors about what your services do and why they should choose you.
Who We Are
This page needs to describe your business and explain to visitors what your business stands for, its unique approach, causes supported, etc.
It should mention any medical-related awards, recognitions, accreditations, certifications, publications, associations, etc., that could be used to promote your business and set yourself above other competitors.
(List all of your awards certifications, recognitions, accreditations, associations, publications, etc. in your About Us page. Screenshot image source: squaremedical.com.au)
Are you looking for quicker and simpler ways to grow your business online and get prospects to stay longer on your site? Then one of the things you can do, is make it easier for prospects to get to know, like and trust you, your team and your organization better.
Your business needs to be relatable. One great way to do that is to have a page that introduces your team. It should include a photo and a mini bio. Since most visitors will not tend to be familiar with health or medical-related terms it should tell who they are and what they specialize in. You may also want to explain what those specialized areas do. It should also include social buttons that will allow your site visitors to follow some of your team members on their social networks.
In this page, don’t be afraid to humanize your team members with personal stories, hobbies, etc., but make sure to highlight your team member’s expertise, why they are an asset to your team, and more importantly, how they will help add value to your clients’ business.
(Make sure to add a team profile page. Image sourced from: southperthchiro.com.au)
To learn more about how to easily add an easy-to-maintain simple employee directory in your website using free plugins, see this tutorial: Step-By-Step Tutorial: How To Add A Staff Directory To Your WordPress Site
Work For Us
This is a listing of job or career opportunities available within your business. This page could include training offered, benefits, professional development, social aspects of working for your organization, etc. It should include information such as the job outlook and career opportunities in the health industry.
Maintain a positions available section in your page. If there are no positions currently available, consider inviting people to return periodically to this page, join your contact list, follow you on social media, etc.
Case studies and testimonials are a great way to attract prospective clients and showcase your services. Adding a page with testimonials from previous clients and case studies also helps your medical-related business to establish social proof.
(Add a web page with testimonials and case studies. Image source: arrowsmiledental.com)
We have written extensively about using testimonials and reviews to grow your business online. For more details: How To Create Better Results Online Using Engaging User Testimonials
Having a functional contact page is crucial.
Your contact page should include some or all of the following information about your clinic:
- Business Name
- Your physical address
- Fax number
- Email address
- Map and directions
- Website URL
- Contact form
- Request for more information – contact details
- Links to social media pages
- Interactive chat feature (optional feature)
If you operate in different areas you should make that clear when displaying your address and contact info.
You can also include links pointing to commonly-asked questions page, main pages, booking form, support area, newsletter opt-in form, blog, etc.
Add A Health-Related Blog Section
A blog is a powerful business marketing tool. Many blogging platforms are built around a content management system that is simple to use and allows you to easily promote your business by publishing timely content such as the latest news, updates, training information, informative posts, how-to videos, webinars, etc.
If you already have an health or medical website, then consider adding a WordPress-powered blog to market your medical clinic.
If you don’t have a website yet, or if your existing health site is hard to keep updated or not giving you the results you want, then WordPress can act as both your website and your blog.
Something not many businesses know about, is that WordPress can turn into an automated traffic-generation system that will help begin to attract new visitors to your business, simply by publishing regular content to your website.
(An expertly configured WordPress site can automate your traffic generation)
Go here to learn more about this:
- Web Site Traffic Blueprint – A Complete Guide To Growing Your Web Traffic Automatically With WordPress
As a professional health services provider, ensuring that you have a website that complies will all legal requirements online is crucially important. This is not only important for building trust with visitors, but also to ensure that no local, regional or federal laws and regulations are being broken in whatever location you service.
Adding some or all of the following legal pages to your health or medical-related website will help you stay out of legal hot water with most regulatory authorities, third-party service providers (e.g. Facebook), and other potential sources of threats and legal inconveniences:
- Contact Us
- Terms And Conditions
- Website Disclaimer
- Affiliate Agreement
- Anti-Spam Policy
- Compensation Disclosure
- DMCA Notice
- Earnings Disclaimer
- External Linking Policy
- Health and Financial Disclaimers
- Refund Policy
- Video/Audio Terms
We have written a detailed article on adding legal pages to your website. If you are interested in learning more here: The Importance Of Adding Legal Pages To Your Website
How To Improve The Content On Your Website
In today’s ultra-competitive global business economy, the sooner you start publishing content on your site, the faster you will begin to see results and differentiate yourself from the competition.
You want to provide useful content with great information and tips that will get your readers sharing it with others and coming back for more. Using content is the most effective way to educate site visitors and prospective clients about using your services.
For example, if you provide weight loss services, then some of the areas you can write about include the following:
- Nutrients your body needs on a daily basis (protein, carbs, vitamins, fats, minerals)
- How to set realistic, but challenging weight loss goals
- Comparing different diets, e.g. Atkins diet, South Beach diet, Nutrisystem diet (what these are, how they can benefit you, how effective they are)
- How to modify recipes for healthier results (e.g. substituting sugars, fats, etc.)
- And endless other content topics
You can also create a series of educational articles that will help your your prospective clients understand your medical services, by explaining benefits, procedures, costs (including payment plans, insurance coverage, etc).
Remember to use specific keywords and terminology in your content that readers will search to find you online.
We recommend subscribing to our Content Marketing Email Training Series. You will receive a comprehensive series of training emails with actionable information that will show exactly how to drive more traffic to your website, save money creating high-quality content that will add value to your site visitors and grow your presence online using content marketing strategies. It’s not only a great course with loads of useful information, it’s also 100% FREE!
Ways To Improve Visitor Engagement And User Experience
Improving your user experience (generally referred to as UX) helps keep visitors coming back and using your site. This section will show you different ways to improve your visitor engagement and UX.
Adding RSS Feeds
RSS feeds provide plenty of benefits for your site.
If you provide content that adds value to others, other sites will want to syndicate your content.
Some of the benefits of having other businesses syndicate your content, include:
- All of your updates are in one place
- Doesn’t rely on email
- RSS feeds can be shared
- Feeds allow users to subscribe
- It provides links back to your content
- RSS feeds can be submitted to RSS directories and aggregators
- There are multiple ways readers can receive your content (e.g. view the content on their mobile device using feed readers)
- RSS is built into WordPress
There are also benefits to providing great content on your website from other sites, such as the fact that you don’t have to write, manage or update the content.
To find RSS feeds with useful content just search online for health or medical-related government departments or respected industry bodies.
Below we have listed examples of useful RSS feeds you could add to a medical or health-related site:
- US Department Of Health And Human Services – e.g. Blog feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/SelectedHhsBlogPosts, etc. You can search by departments and choose individual RSS feeds, like feeds on women’s health issues (e.g. Breastfeeding, Fitness and nutrition, Illnesses and disabilities, Minority women’s health, Pregnancy, etc.) here: http://womenshealth.gov/news/rss/rss-feeds.html
- US National Libraries Of Medicine – For a list of feeds from various medical journals, publications and websites (e.g. Nucleic Acids Research, Human Molecular Genetics, The Journal of Immunology, Occupational Medicine, Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, etc.) go here: http://www.healthplusplus.com/wiki/List_of_RSS_feeds_on_health
- National Institutes Of Health (www.nih.gov) - Find various feeds on health-related topics here: http://www.nih.gov/Subscriptions.htm
- US Food And Drug Administration (FDA) – Get feeds on fda-related news and topics like consumer health information updates, health fraud, tainted products marked as dietary supplements, foods, etc. and podcasts here: http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/ContactFDA/StayInformed/RSSFeeds
- Department of Health UK (https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-of-health) – Latest news: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-of-health.atom
- The Department Of Health (Australian Government): http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/xml/rssLatestNews.xml
- Department Of Public Health (Australia – State Level): e.g. Victoria – http://www.health.vic.gov.au/rss/newsfeed.xml
- Centers For Disease Control And Prevention (www.cdc.gov) - Get various feeds on health-related topics and podcasts here: http://www2c.cdc.gov/podcasts/rss.asp
- Medical News: You can search medical news RSS feeds in major news publications like the NYTimes RSS feeds section (e.g. Fitness & nutrition: http://www.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/nyt/Nutrition.xml)
- MedicineNet – MedTerms Medical Word of the Day: http://www.medicinenet.com/rss/dailyword.xml. You can also choose specific feeds here (http://www.medicinenet.com/rss/article.htm) (e.g. Alzheimer’s Disease, Menopause, Chronic Pain, Diabetes, Prevention & Wellness, HIV, etc.)
- Medical News Today – MNT Featured Headlines: http://rss.medicalnewstoday.com/featurednews.xml
- MedicalNewsToday.com – You can also choose individual feeds here: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/newsfeeds-rss (e.g. Stem Cell Research, Acid Reflux/GERD, Pregnancy/Obstetrics, Cholesterol, Primary Care/General Practice, GastroIntestinal/Gastroenterology, Obesity/Weight Loss/Fitness, etc.)
You can also just search online for general RSS feeds, e.g. “medical rss feeds” or search for feeds on specific subjects, e.g. “health insurance rss feeds”, “lymphoma rss feeds”, “wearable technology rss feeds”, etc.
(RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feeds can help to improve your website’s user experience.)
Adding Online Checklists And Forms
Adding checklists and charts to your site is a great way to help increase user engagement, add value to your visitors and provide something unique. Charts and checklists can provide visitors with useful instructions and resources to perform necessary tasks. Checklists and charts are also great client instructional tools.
You can provide online or downloadable forms and checklists (or links to these) covering a range of topics such as:
- Booking appointments
- Checklists for pre or post surgery
- Health checklists and charts for specific conditions
- Dental checklists – e.g. first visit, active maintenance program, cosmetic dentistry, etc.
- Fitness and exercise program checklists
- General charts & infographics (e.g. sugar content in different foods, the importance of sleep at different stages of development, etc.)
Providing unique tools, gadgets and applications on your website can help increase visitor engagement and add value to your visitors. Calculators, for example are great tools you can add to your website. Other tools would include things like nutritional tools, or even recipes.
In the next section of this guide, we will look at a number of online tools you can add to your health-related site using WordPress plugins and themes that can improve seo, increase user engagement and drive more traffic to your business.
This is the end of section 1 of this comprehensive guide on ways to build your medical or health-related web presence.
Click on this link to continue:
"These tutorials have so much information and are easy to understand. If you use WordPress or plan to in the future these will help you with everything you need to know." - Valisa (Mesa, Arizona)