In Part One of this step-by-step article on ways to improve your medical or health-related business web presence, we provided in-depth information on the following areas:
- Challenges Professional Medical And Health Services Practitioners Face Online
- Opportunities For The Medical & Health Profession In The Online Economy
- Your Web Pages
- Improving The Content On Your Site
In this section, we explore more ways to grow your medical-related services online.
Areas covered include:
- Improving Web Traffic
- Tips For Generating New Leads & Enquiries
- WordPress Plugins For Improving Search Engine Optimization, Creating Better User Engagement And Web Traffic Generation
For more information about WordPress plugins and themes, see these articles:
Note: Plugins are described in this section. Themes for medical businesses are listed in Part 3.
- Improving Web Traffic With WordPress
- Generate Leads & Enquiries With WordPress
- Improve SEO, Improve User Engagement And Increase Web Traffic Generation With Plugins & Themes
- Medical – WordPress Plugins
Improving Web Traffic With WordPress
Web traffic is vital to your online business growth. In this section we explore ways to help you improve your web traffic.
Optimizing Your Website For Search Engines (SEO) Using WordPress
There are lots of ways WordPress can help to optimize your website for search engines:
- Search Engine-Friendly URLs – configure the permalinks to use the title of the post.
- Post Tags – WordPress lets you specify the keywords that you want your article pages (posts) to be indexed for in the search engines.
- Categories – Create search engine-friendly categories for your posts and products.
- Post Excerpts – Create the description for your posts that visitors will see in the search engine results.
- Images – title your images with keywords for improved search engine results.
- Internal Linking – WordPress provides a built-in feature that lets you easily link your content to other posts
- Pinging – Set up your WordPress site to automatically notify (ping) other search directories as soon as a new post is published on your site.
Improving Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Improve User Engagement And Generate More Visitors Using WordPress Plugins
In addition to the built-in features of WordPress, there are dozens of WordPress plugins that will improve SEO, increase engagement and drive more traffic to your website.
Here are some plugins you can use to improve your website’s search engine optimization:
- Yoast SEO – WordPress SEO plugin
- Google XML Sitemaps – WordPress sitemap plugin (lists all of your posts and pages for indexing by search engines)
- WP Tree – WordPress site map plugin
(Use a plugin like Yoast SEO (previously called WordPress SEO by Yoast) to improve your website’s SEO)
Other WordPress tools you can add to improve SEO, increase engagement and drive more web traffic to your business are to add a forum, newsletters, commenting, and social sharing features. Here are a few more fantastic plugins that can help:
- BuddyPress – Use the BuddyPress WordPress plugin to run your own online social community on your website, with member profiles, activity streams, user groups, messaging, and more.
- bbPress – Run an online community forum on your website.
- E-Newsletter – Use E-Newsletter to send professional email newsletters, track results and manage subscribers from your WordPress dashboard, without a 3rd party subscription.
- Disqus – use this WordPress plugin to power discussions and helps to increase user engagement on your site.
- Social Media Feather – Use this plugin to add social sharing features and buttons to your site.
(WordPress users can easily add social sharing to their site with WordPress plugins)
Generate Leads & Enquiries With WordPress
Let’s take a look now at how to improve sales and generate more leads and enquiries for your medical or health-related business.
Adding A Newsletter
Providing a newsletter is an excellent way to build a subscriber list. Adding email newsletters] provides many benefits, like:
- Sends targeted traffic
- Keeps your business at the forefront of your reader’s minds
- Provides practical tips and advice
- Provides you with a targeted marketing channel
- Allows you to provide special products or services to a select audience
- Provides regular opportunities for user engagement
- Provides you with another way for your content to be shared around with others
An effective way to attract subscribers to your newsletter is to provide high value information and offer users a free gift in exchange for their details. This can be a useful report, checklists for improving health and fitness, access to health applications, vouchers, membership access to subscriber-only content, podcasts, etc.
A contact form makes it easy and simple for readers to get in touch. Contact forms also let users report issues, ask questions to specific departments, request quotes, send suggestions for new services or products and more.
Contact forms provide several benefits, like:
- Reducing spam
- Set up automated responses
- Giving you control over what gets sent to you
- You can keep your email address private
- Contact forms can be added to any post or page
- Looks professional
- Convenience for users
One of the most popular contact form plugins for WordPress is Contact Form 7.
(Contact Form 7 Plugin)
This plugin is easy to install and set up and allows you to add and manage multiple contact forms on your website, customize the forms and the mail contents, add fields, and more.
International languages, Ajax-powered submitting, CAPTCHA, and Akismet spam filtering is supported.
Something else to consider if you are setting up a website for a health center or medical clinic is adding sections to your contact form so prospective clients can select the practitioner they want to contact. This ensures that visitors’ requests reach the correct recipient.
A map helps your visitors and clients find you.
A map is a useful tool for several reasons:
- A map helps to improve local SEO
- Helps visitors find you easily
- Display location of events
(Maps help your visitors and clients find you)
Some of the more popular map plugins include:
- Google Maps
- Advanced Google Maps Plugin for WordPress
- WP Google Maps
- Comprehensive Google Map Plugin
Improve SEO, Improve User Engagement And Increase Web Traffic Generation With Plugins & Themes
Medical – WordPress Plugins
WordPress lets you add a number of plugins to your health website that will immediately make available a range of functional tools for visitors. Here are just some of these plugins:
(Booking Calendar Plugin)
This free bookings reservations plugin lets you add appointment booking services to your site. Booking Calendar provides visitors with an intuitive interface. It is highly suitable for a wide range of uses, e.g. medical practices, surgical centers, health spas, booking yoga classes, etc.
(Booking Calendar Plugin For WordPress – Overview)
This plugin works out of the box. Website visitors can check the availability of services and make online bookings easily. Administrators and visitors receive email notifications. Booking Calendar is also widget-ready, and supports multiple languages. The plugin is also available in a premium version with many extra features.
Visit this site to learn more about this WordPress plugin:
(Manage Your Events Via The Web With Event Espresso WordPress Plugin)
If your business involves running health events, then you need a plugin like Event Espresso.
The Event Espresso online event registration plugin for WP enables you to easily set up multiple events and start accepting online registrations in minutes
(Event Espresso – Event Manager And Ticketing Registration Plugin For WordPress)
Event Espresso is a feature-rich application that gives you complete control of your event registration management process.
Go here if you want to learn more managing events with Event Espresso:
(Calculator Pro Calculators Plugin)
Calculator Pro is a free collection of 400+ calculators that you can display on your website and embed into your pages, posts, or sidebars using shortcodes. The plugin also supports internationalization
Note: Most of the calculators aren’t designed for medical or health use, but there are many you can use, including:
- Body Statistics – e.g. Blood Volume Calculator, Fat Calculator, Goal Weight Calculator, Metric BMR Calculator, Stride Length Calculator, etc.
- Calorie – e.g. Calorie to kJ Calculator, Daily Energy Expenditure Calculator, Calories Burned Calculator, etc.
- Fitness Tests – e.g. BAI (Body Adiposity Index) Calculator, Rockport Walk Test Calculator, etc.
- Miscellaneous – e.g. One Rep Max Weight Lifting Calculator, Cigarette Savings Calculator, Ovulation Calculator, Target Heart Rate Calculator, etc.
- Nutrition – e.g. Calcium Calculator, Creatine Calculator, etc.
- Weight – e.g. Ideal Weight Calculator (kg), Weight Loss Calculator, etc.
(Calculated Fields Form – WordPress Plugin)
Calculated Fields Form lets you create forms that perform single and complex calculations, such as:
- Health & Fitness Calculators
- Ideal Weight Calculator
- Pregnancy Calculator
- Calorie Calculator
- And more
A premium version of this plugin with many more features and functionalities is also available.
To learn more about using this plugin, go here:
(Weight Loss Tracker WordPress Plugin)
Weight Loss Tracker is a free plugin that lets logged-in users record their weight periodically. This data is then shown in a graph and table.
(Weight Loss Tracker – User Graph)
The plugin allows users to insert target weights and supports various weight formats: Metric (Kg), Imperial – Stones & Pounds, Imperial – Pounds only.
(Simple BMI Calculator Plugin For WordPress)
Simple BMI Calculator installs a widget on your sidebar that can be configured and customized to match your theme.
As well as Simple Body Mass Index Calculator, there are additional WordPress plugins you can check out that perform similar functions:
- BMI BMR Calculator – A mobile-friendly Body Mass Index and BMR calculator that saves calculation data for logged-in users and gives an overview to the administrator.
- BMI / IMC Calculator – A simple calculator that displays Body Mass Index
- Calotor Calorie Counter – Lets visitors calculate their basal metabolic rate, by entering their age, sex and weight.
- And lots more
(Drug Interaction Data Plugin For WordPress)
Drug Interaction Data Plugin for WordPress can be used to display information about drugs, including what the drug is used for and what other medications the drug is known to interact with.
(Drug Interaction Data WordPress Plugin – Data Results)
Information about drugs can be displayed inside your posts and pages, or as a widget on your sidebar. The plugin loads the drug and pharmaceutical data from the U.S. National Library of Medicine and the U.S. National Institutes of Health.
Visit the plugin site to learn more about using this plugin:
(PubMed Posts Plugin)
This plugin adds a dashboard widget that creates posts from PubMed articles, plus a search widget that locates posts with specific data. A simple content editor is also included with the plugin.
PubMed includes over 25 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, online books and life science journals.
Go here to learn more about this plugin:
(MJM Clinic WordPress Plugin)
This versatile plugin can be used to add functionality to clinic and health care related websites, such as service pages with booking forms, organising your services into hierarchical categories, locations, create service listings and more.
For more information, go here:
(Treato WordPress Plugin)
This plugin lets you embed the Treato healthcare search engine into your WordPress sidebar so you and your site visitors can search drugs and read what patients are saying about different drugs.
Treato gathers and analyzes experiences sourced directly from patients from medical forums and blog posts, then aggregates the content to generate useful insights about users’ medications, diseases and symptoms. Users gain insight about the side effects of over 26,000 medications, drug comparisons across 14,500+ medical conditions, which drugs people feel are working, and more, from over 2 billion collected posts.
(HealthTap Concierge – WordPress Plugin)
HealthTap Concierge allows consumers to locate and book a virtual consult with doctors via HD video or text chat from any mobile device, computer, even smartwatch.
With the plugin installed, your site visitors can type in a health question and based upon their location and type of question, they will receive a list of doctors in their geographic area who specialize in that health topic. They can then select a doctor, connect in real time using video or text chat, or send questions and get answers with the HealthTap service, which has a database of over 70,000 doctors.
To learn more about using this WordPress plugin, visit the plugin website:
TrendMD lets you add the TrendMD recommendations widget to your site. The TrendMD recommendations widget is used by scholarly publishers to increase their readership and revenue by allowing people to discover, cite or read scholarly content from your journals or websites through personalized recommendations.
Visit this site to learn more about this plugin:
(WP Nutrition Facts Plugin For WordPress)
This plugin lets you insert a nutrition facts table into your posts, pages and custom post types, allowing your visitors to learn about the nutrient content of food.
(WP Nutrition Facts – Custom Post Type Label Creation)
This plugin uses the Canadian Food Inspection (CFIA) nutrition labeling regulations.
For more information, go here:
(WP Ultimate Recipe Plugin)
If you run a health-related website that provides dietary or healthy eating recommendations, a great way to add content that will engage your readers is to add healthy recipes.
A plugin like WP Ultimate Recipe lets you easily publish delicious and healthy on your site.
Other WordPress recipe plugins include:
- Recipe Card – Create and publish search optimized recipes with nutrition facts that site visitors can print, save and review.
- EasyRecipe – Lets you easily publish recipes on your site with features like cut and paste, auto conversion of your plain text recipe posts, Google Recipe View formatting and preview button, live custom formatting, automatic ratings and conversion from other recipe plugins.
- ZipList Recipes – You can easily format recipe text and add images. The plugin also provides a number of additional features, including SEO and Google Recipe View formatting.
- And many more.
(Awesome Fitness Testimonials WP Plugin)
Awesome Fitness Testimonials lets you add fitness & wellness testimonials, reviews and case studies, before and after photos, etc. to your fitness-related sites.
Visit the plugin site to learn more about this WordPress plugin:
(Exercise Images by Everkinetic WP Plugin)
Exercise Images lets you display exercise drawings inside your posts and pages.
(Exercise Images Plugin – Database)
Visit this website to learn more about this plugin:
In part 3 of this guide, we discuss medical and health themes for WordPress.
This is the end of part 2 of this article on ways to grow your health or medical-related web presence.
Click on this link to keep reading:
"Wow! I never knew there's so much to learn about WordPress! I bought one of the WordPress for Dummies three years ago, such authors need to be on this course!" - Rich Law, Create A Blog Now
Disclaimer: This site has no association with WordPress or any of the products mentioned or reviewed on this website. We may derive a financial benefit from the sale of third-party products advertised, promoted or linked to our site. All product images remain the copyright of their respective owners and are being used solely for illustrative or training purposes.
Was this post useful? Please feel free to share this article using the share buttons below.