In Part One of this step-by-step guide on ways to build your medical business web presence, we covered the following areas:
- Online Challenges For Medical And Health Services Providers
- Online Opportunities For Medical Services Practitioners
- How To Improve Your Website Pages
- How To Improve The Content On Your Site
In this section, we explore more ways to grow your health services online.
Areas covered in this (and the next section) include:
- Ways To Improve Web Traffic Using WordPress
- Generate Leads & Enquiries Using WordPress-Based Applications
- WordPress Plugins And Themes That Improve Search Engine Optimization, Increase User Engagement And Increase Web Traffic Generation
For more information about WordPress plugins and themes, go here:
Note: Plugins are listed in this section. Medical and health-related themes are covered in Part Three.
- Ways Of Improving Traffic With WordPress
- Tips For Generating More Leads & Enquiries Using WordPress
- WordPress Plugins & Themes For Improving Search Engine Optimization, Increasing User Engagement And Web Traffic Generation
- Health Services Plugins For WordPress
Ways Of Improving Traffic With WordPress
Web traffic is vital to your business growth. This section will help you improve your web traffic using WordPress.
Optimizing Your Site For Search Engines
There are lots of ways that WordPress helps improve your website’s SEO:
- SEO-Friendly – Set the permalinks to create search engine-optimized URLS for your content posts.
- Post Tags – Choose the keywords that you want search engines to index your articles for.
- Categories – Create SEO-friendly categories for keeping your content organized and easy to find.
- Post Excerpts – WordPress lets you compose an excerpt that will show in search results.
- Images – add search-optimized titles to your images for better search engine results.
- Internal Linking – WordPress has a built-in feature that allows you to easily link your content to other posts and pages
- Post Notification – Configure your site to automatically notify (ping) other search directories as soon as a new post is published on your website.
WordPress Plugins That Improve SEO, Improve User Engagement And Drive More Visitors To Your Site
In addition to the built-in features of WordPress, there are dozens of plugins that improve your website’s SEO, increase user engagement and drive more visitors to your website.
For example, you can install the plugins below to improve your website’s search engine optimization:
- Yoast SEO – WordPress SEO plugin
- Google XML Sitemaps – WordPress XML sitemap plugin (lists all of your pages and posts for indexing by search engines)
- WP Tree – WordPress site map plugin
(Use a plugin like Yoast SEO (previously called WordPress SEO by Yoast) to improve your SEO)
Other things you can do to improve your site’s SEO, increase engagement and drive more web traffic to your site are to add a forum, newsletters, comments, and social sharing features. Here are a few plugins that can help (many of the plugins described below can be downloaded at no cost):
- BuddyPress – BuddyPress helps you run your own social network on your website.
- bbPress – Run your own online forum on your WordPress site.
- E-Newsletter – E-Newsletter lets you send email newsletters, track results and manage subscribers from your WP dashboard, without requiring a 3rd party subscription.
- Disqus – use this plugin to power discussions and helps to increase engagement on your site.
- Floating Social – Use this WordPress plugin to add social sharing features and buttons on your posts and pages.
(WordPress users can easily add social sharing buttons to their site using WordPress plugins)
Tips For Generating More Leads & Enquiries Using WordPress
Let’s now take a look at ways to improve sales and generate leads and enquiries for your business.
Add An Email Newsletter
Adding an email newsletter is a great way to build a list of subscribers. It] provides several benefits and advantages including:
- Sends targeted traffic
- Keeps readers from forgetting about you
- Provides updates
- Provides you with a highly targeted marketing channel
- Allows you to offer special services or products to a select audience
- Increases interaction
- Provides you with additional ways for your content to be shared with others
An effective strategy for attracting new subscribers to your newsletter is to provide users with valuable content and offer them free gifts in exchange for their details. This can be an exclusive report, tips for improving general health and diet, access to fitness calculators, discount vouchers, access to courses, podcasts, etc.
Contact forms make it easy and simple for readers to get in touch with you. Contact forms also allow visitors to report problems, ask questions to specific departments, ask for quotes, give suggestions and more.
A contact form provides a number of benefits and advantages, like:
- Reduces spam
- Automated response
- Giving you control over what gets sent to you
- Allows you to keep your email address private
- They can be added to any post or page
- Improves the professional look of your site
- Convenience for visitors
One of the most popular contact form plugins is Contact Form 7.
(Contact Form 7 WP Plugin)
This free contact form plugin is easy to install and configure and lets you create multiple contact forms to your pages and posts, customize your form and the mail contents, add fields, and more.
Supports international languages, Ajax-powered submissions, CAPTCHA, Akismet spam filtering and so on.
Another option to consider if you want to set up a website for a medical center is to segment your contact form so visitors can choose which section of the center they are contacting your business about. This ensures that visitors’ requests reach the right destination.
Maps help your visitors and customers find you.
Inserting maps, such as Google Maps, into your website also provides visitors with a number of benefits, such as:
- Maps improve local SEO
- Helps visitors find you easily
- Show location of events
(Adding a map helps your visitors and clients find you)
Popular map plugins include:
- Google Maps
- Advanced Google Maps Plugin for WordPress
- WP Google Maps
- Comprehensive Google Map Plugin
WordPress Plugins & Themes For Improving Search Engine Optimization, Increasing User Engagement And Web Traffic Generation
Health Services Plugins For WordPress
WordPress makes available a number of plugins you can add to your site that will immediately make available a range of practical tools for users. Here are some of the plugins you can choose from:
(Booking Calendar Plugin For WordPress)
Booking Calendar allows you to add appointment bookings to your site. It has an intuitive interface. It is highly suitable for a wide range medical and health consulting businesses, such as medical practices, physicians, chiropractors, booking patient appointments, etc.
(Booking Calendar WordPress Plugin – Overview)
This booking reservations plugin works right out of the box. Your website visitors can check availability of services and book appointments online easily. Administrators and visitors receive notifications. The plugin also lets you add a calendar or booking form to your site’s sidebar, and offers multi-language support. The developers of this plugin also offer a premium version with many more features and functionalities.
Go here for more details:
(Manage Bookings & Registrations Online With Event Espresso WordPress Plugin)
If your business involves running medical events like seminars or workshops, then you need a plugin like Event Espresso.
The Event Espresso online event registration plugin for WP enables you to easily set up your event and begin receiving registrations in just minutes
(Event Espresso – Event Manager And Ticket Registration System For WordPress)
Event Espresso is a versatile and feature-packed application that gives you complete control of the event registration management process.
We have written a comprehensive article on Event Espresso. Go here to learn more about this:
(Calculator Pro Calculators Plugin For WordPress)
Calculator Pro Calculators is a free collection of over 400 calculators that you can display on your website and embed into your pages, posts, or sidebars using shortcodes. Internationalization is supported.
Note: Most of them aren’t specifically designed for medical or health-related uses, but there are quite a few you can add to your site, including:
- Body Statistics – e.g. Blood Volume Calculator, Frame Size Calculator, Katch-Mcardle BMR Calculator, Metric BMR Calculator, WHtR Calculator, etc.
- Calorie – e.g. Alcohol Calorie Calculator, kJ to Calorie Calculator, Calories Burned Walking Calculator, etc.
- Fitness Tests – e.g. Coopers 12 Minute Run Test Calculator, Balke Treadmill Test Calculator, etc.
- Miscellaneous – e.g. Advanced One Rep Max Weight Lifting Calculator, Blood Donation Calculator, Pregnancy Calculator, Smoking Cost Calculator, etc.
- Nutrition – e.g. BMR Calorie Calculator, Protein Calculator, etc.
- Weight – e.g. Ideal Weight Calculator, Weight Loss Calculator, etc.
To learn more about using this plugin, visit this website:
(Calculated Fields Form WordPress Plugin)
This free plugin is great for creating forms that perform single and complex calculations, such as:
- Health & Fitness Calculators
- Ideal Weight Calculator
- Pregnancy Calculator
- Calorie Calculators
- And lots more
The plugin is also available in a premium version with many additional features and functionalities.
Go here to learn more about using this plugin:
(Weight Loss Tracker – WordPress Plugin)
Weight Loss Tracker lets logged-in users record their weight periodically. The results are then displayed in a graph and table.
(Weight Loss Tracker – User Graph)
The plugin allows users to insert target weights and supports the following weight formats: Metric (Kg), Imperial – Stones & Pounds, Imperial – Pounds only.
Go here for more information:
(Simple BMI Calculator Widget)
This simple WordPress plugin installs a widget on your sidebar that can be configured and customized to match your theme.
As well as Simple BMI Calculator, there are a number of other WordPress plugins you can check out that perform similar functions:
- BMI BMR Calculator – A Body Mass Index and BMR calculator that saves calculation data for logged-in users and gives an overview to the trainer (site admin).
- BMI / IMC Calculator – A simple calculator that displays BMI
- Calotor Calorie Counter – Lets visitors calculate their basal metabolic rate, by entering their age, sex and weight.
- And lots more
(Drug Interaction Data Plugin For WordPress)
Drug Interaction Data will retrieve and display drug information, including what the drugs are used for and what other medications the drugs are known to interact with.
(Drug Interaction Data WP Plugin – Information Screen)
Drug information can be displayed as a widget or inside your pages and posts. The plugin loads the drug and pharmaceutical data from the U.S. National Library of Medicine and the U.S. National Institutes of Health and converts common names of drugs to the standardized RxNorm name as defined by the U.S. National Library of Medicine.
Go here for more details:
(PubMed Posts WP Plugin)
PubMed Posts adds a dashboard widget that lets you crate posts from PubMed articles, and a search function that locates posts with specific article data. A content editor is also included.
PubMed includes over 25 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science journals, and online books.
Visit the plugin site to learn more about using this plugin:
(MJM Clinic WordPress Plugin)
This plugin can be used to add functionality to medical and health care related websites, such as adding service pages with booking forms, organising your services into hierarchical categories, multiple clinic locations, feedback entries and more.
For more details about this plugin, go here:
(Treato – WordPress Plugin)
Treato WordPress plugin lets you embed the Treato healthcare search engine into your WordPress sidebar so you and your users can search drugs and see what patients are saying about different drugs.
Treato gathers and analyzes experiences sourced directly from patients from medical forums and blog posts, then aggregates the posts to generate useful insights about users’ medications, diseases and symptoms. Users gain insight about the side effects of over 26,600 medications, drug comparisons across over 14,700 medical conditions, which drugs people feel work, and more, from over 2.2 billion collected posts.
(HealthTap Concierge Plugin)
HealthTap Concierge allows consumers to locate and book a virtual consult with real doctors via HD video or text chat from any mobile device, computer, even smartwatch.
With With the HealthTap Concierge plugin installed, your site visitors can type in a health question and based upon their location and type of question, they will receive a list of doctors in their geographic area who specialize in that health topic. They can then choose a doctor, connect in real time over video or text chat, or send the doctor a question and get answers via the service.
Go here for more details:
This plugin will add the TrendMD recommendations widget to your WP site. The TrendMD recommendations widget is used by scholarly publishers to increase their readership and revenue by allowing people to discover, read or cite scholarly content from your journals or websites through personalized recommendations.
For more details, go here:
(WP Nutrition Facts Plugin For WordPress)
WP Nutrition Facts is a free plugin for WordPress that lets you insert a nutrition facts table into your pages, posts and custom post types, allowing your visitors to learn about the nutrient content of food in a standardized format.
(WP Nutrition Facts – Label Creation)
WP Nutrition Facts uses the Canadian Food Inspection (CFIA) nutrition labelling regulations.
Visit this site to learn more about this WordPress plugin:
(WP Ultimate Recipe Plugin)
If you own a health or fitness-related business that provides nutritional or healthy eating information, a great way to add content that will engage your readers is to add recipes.
A plugin like WP Ultimate Recipe lets you publish healthy and delicious recipes on your site.
Other WordPress recipe plugins include:
- Recipe Card – Create search engine optimized recipes with nutrition facts that your readers can print, save and review.
- EasyRecipe – Makes publishing recipes on your site easy with features like cut and paste, auto conversion of your plain text recipe posts, Google Recipe View formatting and preview button, live custom formatting, automatic ratings and conversion from other recipe plugins.
- ZipList Recipes – You can easily format recipe text and add images. The plugin also provides a number of additional features, including Google Recipe View formatting and SEO.
- And many more.
Go here for more information:
(Awesome Fitness Testimonials Plugin)
This plugin lets you add fitness & wellness testimonials, case studies and reviews to your website.
(Exercise Images WP Plugin)
The Exercise Images plugin lets you add exercise diagrams to your website.
(Exercise Images – WordPress Plugin – Image Catalog)
To learn more about using this plugin, go here:
In part 3 of this detailed guide, we will be discussing WordPress themes for medical and health businesses.
This is the end of part 2 of this article on ways to grow your medical-related web presence.
To view the rest of this guide, click here:
"I am beyond impressed with what you have put together. I can tell that you put a ton of hard work into building what you have. You have the absolute best content on WordPress I have ever seen!" - Robert T. Jillie
Disclaimer: WordPress and its related trademarks are registered trademarks of Automattic, Inc. This site and the services and products offered on this site are not affiliated, associated, sponsored, or endorsed by WordPress, nor have they been certified, reviewed, or tested by WordPress. The owner, contributors and/or advertisers may derive financial benefit from sales of items reviewed, linked to, or advertised on this site.
Did you enjoy this tutorial? Please feel free to share this information with other WordPress users using the links below.