Grow Your Medical Or Healthcare Business Online With WordPress
The online economy has not only revolutionised businesses around the world, it has also created a number of challenges and great opportunities for businesses in the medical-related industry.
Challenges Professional Health Services Practitioners Face Online
Today, more than ever, medical and health services professionals must work harder and find smarter ways to stand apart from the crowd and generate new clientele. Not only do you have to participate in the community you serve, you must also develop and maintain a strong presence online. This includes having a dynamic website and learning better ways to grow your services online.
As well as investing dollars in offline marketing, businesses in the health industry are now also finding that increasingly larger amounts of their budget need to be allocated towards the development and maintenance of a website that can bring in clients, engage visitors, outperform the competition in search engines and help increase their presence online.
This means that your website not only has to look great, your pages have to be fast-loading, and your site has to be easy to navigate, but even more importantly, your site’s needs may change over time and sections will need to be updated often. This requires the implementation of a well-developed website and content management strategy.
Another difficult challenge that health-related organizations face online (and most other businesses for that matter), is that you have only around thirty seconds to provide visitors what they need or they will look elsewhere.
“Websites have evolved into central information hubs where service information is still present but enhanced with web portals, hyperlinks to state and federal sites, and a variety of free tools.”
Opportunities For Health And Medical Businesses
As well as facing many new business and technology changes, there are also many online opportunities available to medical-related businesses that are willing to evolve to meet the demands of the online economy and think outside the box in terms of marketing their business services better online.
This comprehensive article will help you uncover ways to attract more visitors and establish online credibility for your medical business.
As well as providing useful website improvement tips, we also focus on the benefits and advantages of using the WordPress content management system to power your medical-related website.
To learn more about the benefits and advantages of using the WordPress platform, go here:
- How A Poorly Built Website Can Lose You Customers And What To Do About It
- Everything You Need To Know To Grow Your Small Business With WordPress
How To Improve Your Medical Services & Health Center Website
This section will show you ways to improve your website and get better results. We will look at what web pages you need, what type of content you need, ways to improve your site’s layout and navigation structure, etc.
If you need specific help with website planning, go here: A Money-Saving Guide To Website Planning For Business Owners
Your Website Pages
All websites need several basic web pages. Let’s review these.
Services And Products
You need to include a page that describes your services and products. Depending on which area of health or medical services you specialize in, this page can include services like:
- Medical And Surgical – e.g. ear, nose and throat, orthopedics hematology, plastic surgery, aged care, renal, weight loss surgery, ophtalmology day surgery, etc.
- Dentistry – e.g. cosmetic dentistry, children’s dentistry, cleaning services, restorations, implants, emergency dentistry, etc.
- Cardiology – e.g. heart surgery, chronic heart conditions
- Prenatal and Neonatal – e.g. obstetrics, maternity services, etc.
- Child Health services – paediatrics, child development, children services, etc.
- Diagnostic services – breast screens, lung screening, radiology and imaging, gynaecology, MRI scanning, allergy testing, etc.
- Pathology – lab testing and analysis, routine pathology testing, fine-needle aspiration, speech pathology, etc
- Counselling services – mental health services, alcohol, tobacco & other drug counselling, trauma counselling, wellness, social development services
- Alternative treatments – acupuncture, homeopathy, functional medicine, meditation, chiropractic services, hypnosis, etc.
- Other medical services – weight management, othopedics, fertility services, stomal therapy, medical genetics, artificial limbs, mobility, home care, sexual health, medical supplies, etc.
Make sure to list all of the services you provide, not just the ones you specialize in. Provide your visitors with information that will educate them about what these services do and why they should choose you.
About Us Page
This page needs to describe your business and explain to visitors what it stands for, its unique approach, supported community activities, etc.
Remember to also list any awards, accreditations, recognitions, certifications, associations, publications, etc., that you can use to promote your services and position yourself above the competition.
(List all of your business awards recognitions, certifications, accreditations, associations, publications, etc. in your About page. Image sourced from: squaremedical.com.au)
Are you looking for quicker, easier and cost-effective ideas to grow your business online? Then help visitors get to know you, your team and your business better.
You want potential clients to relate to your business. One great way to do that is to have a page that introduces your employees. This page should include a photo and a brief biography. Since most visitors will not tend to be that well-versed in medical-related terms your descriptions should tell who they are and what their specialties are. It should also explain what those specialized areas do. This page should include social buttons so your site visitors can follow some of your staff members on their social networks.
On this page, make sure to highlight your employee’s experience, how they contribute to the success of your team, and more importantly, how they will help add value to your clients’ business.
(Make sure to add a staff description page. Image sourced from: southperthchiro.com.au)
We have created a detailed tutorial about how to add an updatable simple team members directory in your site here: Step-By-Step Tutorial: How To Add A Staff List Directory
This is a listing of job opportunities available within your practice. This page could include training, benefits, professional development, etc. You can include stories of recruits who have worked their way up in your company and information such as the job outlook and new career opportunities in the medical-related industry.
Include also a positions available section in your page. If there are no positions currently available, consider inviting people to return periodically to this page, subscribe to your newsletter, follow your social pages, etc.
Case Studies & Testimonials
Case studies and testimonials are a great way to attract prospective clients and showcase the services you offer. By adding a page with client reviews and case studies, you are also helping to provide visitors social proof online.
(Add a page to your site with reviews from clients and case studies. Screenshot source: arrowsmiledental.com)
We have written extensively about using case studies, testimonials and client reviews to grow your business online. To learn more about this go here: How To Improve Your Visitor-To-Sales Conversions Using Sales Boosting Testimonials
Contact Us Page
Having a clean contact page is essential.
Your contact page should include the following:
- Name Of Your Business
- Your address
- Fax number
- Email address
- Website URL
- Contact form
- Request for more information – who to contact
- Social media URLs
If you have several locations you want to make that clear when showing the address and contact info.
Consider also including links pointing to the most commonly asked questions page, useful pages, booking form, helpdesk, newsletter, blog, etc.
Add A Medical-Related Blog
A blog is a very powerful marketing tool for your business. Blogs typically include a content management system that is simple to use and allows you to easily promote your business by publishing content like the latest announcements, updates, training articles, informative posts, promotional videos, media presentations, etc.
If you already have an health or medical website, then consider adding a WordPress-driven blog to create more exposure for your medical clinic.
If you don’t have a website yet, or if your existing medical-related site is very hard to add new content to or not giving you the results you want, then WordPress can serve as both your website and business blog.
Something few people know about, is that WordPress can turn your web presence into an automated traffic-generation system that will begin to attract targeted traffic to your site, simply by publishing regular content to your web site.
(WordPress can automate your traffic generation)
To learn more about this go here:
Legal Information Pages
Having a compliant website is crucial. This is not only important for establishing trust and credibility with prospective clients, but also to ensure that no local, regional or federal laws or regulations are being broken wherever you provide services.
Adding some or all of the legal pages below to your health or medical-related site will help you stay out of legal hot water with most regulatory authorities, third-party service providers, and other potential legal threats and inconveniences:
- Contact Page
- Privacy Statement
- Terms And Conditions Of Use
- Website Disclaimer
- Affiliate Agreement
- Anti-Spam Policy
- Compensation Disclosure
- DMCA Notice
- Earnings Disclaimer
- External Linking Policy
- Health/Financial Disclaimers
- Refund Policy
- Video/Audio Terms
- and others
To learn more about adding legal pages to your website, refer to this article: What You Need To Know About Adding Legal Pages To Your WordPress Site
Improve The Content On Your Site
In today’s globally competitive economy, the sooner you start publishing great content on your site, the faster you will begin to differentiate yourself from your competitors.
Provide useful content with great advice and tips that will get your readers sharing your web pages with others and coming back for more content. Content marketing is the most effective way to educate your visitors and prospects about using your services and products.
For example, if your business provides weight management services, then some of the areas you could cover in your web content include:
- Nutrients your body needs on a daily basis (protein, carbs, minerals, fats, vitamins)
- How to get support when embarking on a weight loss program (friends, family, weight loss seekers)
- Why using a measuring tape is better than a scale when it comes to weight loss progress
- What processed foods can sabotage your diet (and healthier choices)
- And endless other content topics
You can also create a series of informative articles that will help your readers understand your services, by explaining benefits, procedures, terminology, etc.
Include the keywords in your content that your prospective clients will search to find you online.
We recommend subscribing to our Content Marketing Email Training Series. You will receive regular training emails with easy-to-digest information that will show you how to drive more traffic to your website or blog, save money creating useful content that will add value to your visitors and grow your website using content marketing strategies. It’s not only a great course with loads of useful information, it’s also completely FREE!
Tips For Improving User Experience
Improving user experience (known as UX) helps you keep visitors coming back and using your site. This section will show you different ways to improve visitor engagement and user experience.
Syndicate Content With RSS Feeds
An RSS feed provides plenty of benefits for your website.
If you provide useful information, other sites may want to syndicate your content to their visitors.
Some of the benefits of syndicating your content to other sites using RSS feeds, include:
- All of your content updates are in one place
- Content distribution doesn’t rely on email
- Your feed can be shared and picked up by other sites online
- Users can subscribe to your feed
- An RSS feed provides a way for external links to point back to your content
- Feeds can be submitted to RSS directories
- There are various ways your readers can receive your content (e.g. read your content on their mobile device using different applications)
- It’s built into WordPress
There are also benefits when it comes to adding syndicated content to your website from other sites, such as the fact that you don’t have to write, manage or update the content.
To find RSS feeds with useful content just visit sites of relevant government departments or well-known industry bodies.
For example, here are some feeds you could consider adding to a health or medical website:
- US Department Of Health And Human Services – e.g. Latest news feed: http://www.hhs.gov/rss/news/hhsnews.xml, etc. You can search by departments and select individual feeds, like feeds on women’s health issues (e.g. Breast cancer, Healthy aging, Heart health and stroke, Mental health, Pregnancy, etc.) here: http://womenshealth.gov/news/rss/rss-feeds.html
- US National Libraries Of Medicine – For a list of feeds from well-known medical journals, publications and websites (e.g. AHA Journals (American Heart Association Journals), ADA ClinicalDiabetes, Journal of Cell Biology, Neurology.org, BMJ British Journal of Ophthalmology, etc.) go here: http://www.healthplusplus.com/wiki/List_of_RSS_feeds_on_health
- National Institutes Of Health (www.nih.gov) - Find various health-related news feeds here: http://www.nih.gov/Subscriptions.htm
- FDA – Find FDA-related news feeds (e.g. criminal investigations, health fraud, tainted products, tobacco news, etc.) and podcasts here: http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/ContactFDA/StayInformed/RSSFeeds
- Department of Health UK (www.gov.uk) – Latest news: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-of-health.atom
- The Department Of Health (Australian Government): http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/xml/rssLatestNews.xml
- Department Of Public Health (Australia – State Level): e.g. Victoria – http://www.health.vic.gov.au/rss/newsfeed.xml
- Centers For Disease Control And Prevention (www.cdc.gov) - Get various RSS feeds on health-related topics and podcasts here: http://www2c.cdc.gov/podcasts/rss.asp
- Medical News Feeds: You can search medical news RSS feeds in major news publications like the NYTimes feeds section (e.g. Research: http://www.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/nyt/Research.xml)
- MedicineNet.com – MedTerms Medical Word of the Day: http://www.medicinenet.com/rss/dailyword.xml. You can also choose individual RSS feeds here (http://www.medicinenet.com/rss/article.htm) (e.g. Alzheimer’s Disease, Asthma, Nutrition, Food, & Recipes, Pediatrics / Healthy Kids, Prevention & Wellness, Travel Health, etc.)
- Medical News Today – Medical News Headlines: http://rss.medicalnewstoday.com/featurednews.xml
- Medical News Today – You can also choose specific feeds here: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/newsfeeds-rss (e.g. Anxiety/Stress, Fertility, Melanoma/Skin Cancer, Irritable-Bowel Syndrome, COPD, Pediatrics/Children’s Health, MRI/PET/Ultrasound, etc.)
You can also just search online for general feeds, e.g. “medical rss feeds” or search for feeds on specific areas, e.g. “ADHD rss feeds”, “body aches rss feeds”, “psychology rss feeds”, etc.
(RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feeds can help to improve your medical site’s UX.)
Checklists And Forms
Adding checklists and charts to your site is a fantastic way to increase visitor engagement and add value to your audience. Charts and checklists can provide users with step-by-step information and resources to perform steps. Checklists and charts are great educational tools.
You can provide a range of checklists and forms (or links to these) covering subjects such as:
- Booking appointments
- Checklists for pre or post surgery
- Health checklists for specific systems
- Dental checklists – e.g. first visit, oral maintenance program, general dentistry, etc.
- Fitness and nutrition program checklists
- General charts & infographics (e.g. caloric level of different foods, the importance of sleep at different stages of development, etc.)
Add Other Tools
Providing unique tools, gadgets and applications on your website can help increase visitor engagement and add significant value to your visitors. Calculators are useful tools you can add to your website. Others would include things like diagnostic tools, or even recipes.
In the next section of this guide, we will look at a number of online tools you can add to your health or medical website using WordPress plugins that improve search engine optimization, improve user engagement and generate more traffic to your business.
This is the end of section one of this article on ways to improve your medical or health-related business web presence.
Click on this link to view the rest of this article:
- Online Business Tips For Medical Services Professionals – Improving SEO, Improve User Engagement And Generate More Traffic Using Plugins And Themes
"Your training is the best in the world! It is simple, yet detailed, direct, understandable, memorable, and complete." Andrea Adams, FinancialJourney.org