Grow Your Medical Or Healthcare Business Online With WordPress
The online economy has not only transformed business around the world, it has also created new challenges and opportunities for health or medical businesses.
Challenges Health And Medical Professionals Face Online
Now, more than ever, health-related practices must find smarter ways to remain competitive and source new clientele. Not only do you have to become more involved in the community you serve, you must also develop and maintain an active presence online. This includes having a dynamic website and learning how to better promote your business online.
As well as spending dollars advertising offline, you will probably find (if you haven’t already) that in order to remain competitive, increasingly larger amounts of their budget will need to be assigned to developing and managing a website that brings new clients, engages visitors, outranks the competition in search engines and increases your presence online.
This means that your site not only has to look professional, your web pages have to load fast, and your site layout has to be easy to navigate, but even more importantly, your site’s needs will change in time and sections will need to be frequently updated. This requires implementing well-planned web and content management strategy.
One other problem that health services practitioners face online, and all other businesses for that matter, is that your site has only about 30 seconds or less to help users find the information they are looking for or they will go elsewhere to get their needs met.
“Websites have evolved into central information hubs where service information is still present but enhanced with web portals, hyperlinks to state and federal sites, and a variety of free tools.”
Opportunities For The Medical Profession In The Online Economy
As well as facing a number of challenges, there are also many online opportunities available for medical-related businesses that can evolve to meet online demands and think outside the box in terms of marketing their business better online.
In this article, you will learn new opportunities to source new business and notice significant improvements in your online results.
As well as providing useful website improvement tips, we also focus on the benefits and advantages of using the WordPress content management system to power your medical business website.
For more information about the benefits and advantages of using WordPress, go here:
- Why A Poorly Built Web Site Can Cost You Money And What To Do About It
- The Beginner’s Guide To Growing Your Successful Business Using WordPress
How To Improve Your Website
We’ll start first by covering the basics. In this section, we’ll look at how to improve your health website and get better results. We will look at what web pages you need, what content works best, suggestions for improving layout and navigation, etc.
If you need additional information about website planning, check out the article we have written here: The Website Planning Process Explained - A Useful Primer For Business Owners
Basic Web Pages
All websites need some essential pages. Let’s review the pages your need to have and how to set up your health or medical-related website for best results.
Description Of services And Products
You need to include a page that explains your services and products. Depending on which area you specialize in, your page can list services such as:
- Medicine & Surgery – e.g. acute pain management, neurosurgery haematology, reconstructive surgery, gerontology, renal, gastroenterology, ophtalmology operating theaters, etc.
- Dental Services – e.g. cosmetic dentistry, children’s dentistry, oral health, teeth whitening, dental braces, emergency dental, etc.
- Cardiology – e.g. cardiac surgery, coronary care
- Prenatal & Neonatal – e.g. birth suites, maternity services, etc.
- Child Health services – paediatrics, child development, children services, etc.
- Diagnostic – breast screening, skin cancer, x-ray, women’s health, MRI scanning, allergy testing, etc.
- Pathology – laboratory testing and analysis, routine pathology testing, clinical trials, speech pathology, etc
- Counselling – mental health services, alcohol, tobacco & other drug counselling, domestic abuse, wellness coaching, social work services
- Alternative therapies – acupuncture, homeopathy, functional medicine, meditation, chiropractic, hypnotherapy, etc.
- Other medical services – weight management, othopedics, lymphedema therapy, optical services, medical genetics, prosthetics, hearing aids, home care, community health, medical transport, etc.
Make sure to list all of the services you provide, not just the ones you specialize in. Provide your visitors with information that will educate them about what these services do and direct them to your appointment booking page.
Who We Are
The ‘About Us’ page should give a description of your business and what it stands for, its unique approach, philanthropy, etc.
It’s important to also list any business awards, accreditations, certifications, recognitions, associations, publications, etc., that you can use to promote your services and to set yourself above your competitors.
(List all of your awards certifications, recognitions, accreditations, associations, publications, etc. in your About Us page. Image sourced from: squaremedical.com.au)
Meet The Team
Are you looking for simple ways to grow your business online? Then one of the things you can do, is help prospective clients get to know you, your team and your business better.
You want your business to be relatable. One great way to do that is to have a page that introduces your staff members. It should include a photo and a brief biography. Since most visitors won’t be well-versed in medical terms your bio descriptions should tell who they are and what they specialize in. You may also want to explain what those specialized areas mean. It can include social buttons that will allow your site visitors to follow some of your staff members on their social pages.
In this page, don’t be afraid to humanize your people with personal stories, hobbies, etc., but make sure to highlight each team member’s qualifications, why they are an invaluable asset to your team, and more importantly, how they will help add value to your clients’ business.
(Make sure to add a staff page. Screenshot image source: southperthchiro.com.au)
If you need help how to create and add a simple and easy-to-update list of staff or team members in your website using free WP plugins, go here: How To Easily Create A Simple Employee Directory For Your WordPress Site With No Coding Skills Required
List any job opportunities available within your company. This page could include training provided, employee benefits, advancement opportunities, social activities sponsored by your organization, etc. You can also include information about career opportunities in the health-related industry.
Also include a positions available section in your page. If there are no positions currently available, consider inviting people to return periodically to the page, join your newsletter, follow you on social media, etc.
Case studies and reviews from clients are a great way to attract potential clients and showcase your services. By adding a page with case studies and client reviews, you are also helping to establish social proof online.
(Add a web page with case studies and testimonials. Image sourced from: arrowsmiledental.com)
If you want to learn more about using testimonials and client reviews, see this article: Create Better Results Online With Knockout Testimonials
A contact page is absolutely vital.
It should provide:
- Name Of Your Business
- Your physical location
- Phone number
- Contact email address
- Map and directions
- Web address
- Contact form
- Request for more information – who to contact
- Links to social media pages
If your business services several locations you will want to make this clear when displaying your address and contact information.
You could also include links to an FAQ page, useful pages, online booking form, support page, newsletter, blog, etc.
Add A Blog
A blog can be a powerful marketing tool for your business. Blogs typically comprise of a content management system that is simple to use and allows you to easily promote your business by publishing timely content such as the latest announcements, updates, useful articles and tutorials, informative posts, how-to videos, infographics, etc.
If you already have an existing site, then consider adding a WordPress-powered blog to promote your medical services.
If you don’t have a website yet, or if your existing site is very hard to add new content to or not delivering you the results you want, then WordPress can become both your website and blog.
Not many businesses know this, but WordPress can become an automated traffic-generation machine that will help drive targeted traffic to your business, simply by publishing regular content to your site.
(An expertly configured WordPress site can generate traffic automatically to your site)
To learn more about this go here:
- Web Traffic Blueprint – Learn How To Create An Automated Web Traffic Generation Machine With WordPress
Legal Information Pages
It’s crucial to have a compliant website. This is not only important for establishing trust and credibility with prospective clients, but also to ensure that you are not contravening any local, regional and federal laws and regulations wherever you provide services.
Adding some or all of the legal pages below to your medical or health-related website will help you stay out of legal hot water with most regulatory authorities, third-party service providers (e.g. Facebook), and other potential sources of legal threats and inconveniences:
- Contact Us
- Privacy Statement
- Terms And Conditions Of Use
- Website Disclaimer
- Affiliate Agreement
- Anti-Spam Policy
- Compensation Disclosure
- DMCA Notice
- Earnings Disclaimer
- External Links Policy
- Health and Financial Disclaimers
- Refund Policy
- Video/Audio Terms
- and others
We have written a comprehensive article about adding legal pages to your site. For more details, go here: The Importance Of Adding Legal Pages To Your WordPress Site
Improving Your Web Content
In today’s highly competitive online economy, committing to the practice of content marketing has become one of the key differentiators for businesses selling similar products or services.
You will want to provide useful content with great information or tips that will get your readers to share your information online with others and come back for more. Content marketing is a great way to inform and teach site visitors and prospective clients about using your services and products.
For example, if your business provides weight management services, then some of the topics you can write about include the following:
- What is BMI (what it stands for, what it does, how to calculate yours)
- How small efforts in portion control can help your weight loss efforts
- Diet sodas (common ones, side effects, long term results, do they work?)
- Apps for tracking calories and exercise
You can also create a series of educational articles that will help your your prospective clients gain a better understanding of your services, by explaining benefits, procedures, terminology, etc.
Use keywords and terms in your content that readers will be searching to find you online.
We recommend subscribing to our Content Marketing Email Training Series. You will receive a comprehensive series of training emails with actionable information that will show you how to drive more traffic to your site, save money creating useful content that will add value to your site visitors and grow your business online using content marketing strategies. It’s not only a great course with loads of useful information, it’s also completely FREE!
Tips For Improving Visitor Engagement And User Experience
Improving website user experience (generally referred to as UX) will help keep visitors coming back and using your site. This section will show you different ways to improve visitor engagement and user experience.
Add RSS Feeds
RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feeds can help to improve visitor engagement and user experience in many ways.
If you provide content that adds value to others, other sites will want to syndicate your content.
Some of the benefits of syndicating your content to other websites using RSS feeds, include:
- All of your updates are in one place
- Content distribution doesn’t rely on email
- RSS feeds can be shared online
- Users can subscribe to your RSS feed
- An RSS feed provides a way for links to point back to your site
- RSS feeds can be submitted to RSS directories and aggregator services
- There are several ways your readers can receive your content (e.g. users can view your content on their mobile device using feed readers)
- It’s built into WordPress
There are also a number of benefits to providing content on your site from other sites, such as the fact that you don’t have to write, manage or update the content.
To find useful RSS feeds for your website, search online for relevant government departments or respected industry bodies.
Below we have listed some examples of RSS feeds containing useful information that you could consider adding to a medical-related site:
- US Department Of Health And Human Services – e.g. Blog posts feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/SelectedHhsBlogPosts, etc. You can also choose individual feeds, like feeds on women’s health issues (e.g. Body image, Healthy aging, Illnesses and disabilities, Minority women’s health, Smoking and how to quit, etc.) here: http://womenshealth.gov/news/rss/rss-feeds.html
- US National Libraries Of Medicine – For a directory of feeds from various medical journals, publications and websites (e.g. Journal of Neurophysiology, BMJ Heart, BMJ Injury Prevention, BMJ Tobacco Control, Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, etc.) go here: http://www.healthplusplus.com/wiki/List_of_RSS_feeds_on_health
- National Institutes Of Health - Find many health-related feeds here: http://www.nih.gov/Subscriptions.htm
- FDA – Get FDA-related RSS feeds (e.g. consumer health information updates, food safety, tainted products marked as dietary supplements, foods, etc.) and podcasts here: http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/ContactFDA/StayInformed/RSSFeeds
- Department of Health UK (https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-of-health) – Latest news: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-of-health.atom
- The Department Of Health (Australian Government): http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/xml/rssLatestNews.xml
- Department Of Public Health (Australia – State Level): e.g. Victoria – http://www.health.vic.gov.au/rss/newsfeed.xml
- Centers For Disease Control And Prevention - Get many health-related news feeds and podcasts here: http://www2c.cdc.gov/podcasts/rss.asp
- Medical News Feeds: You can search medical news RSS feeds in places like the NYTimes feeds section (e.g. Fitness and nutrition: http://www.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/nyt/Nutrition.xml)
- MedicineNet.com – Weekly Health and Medical News Digest: http://www.medicinenet.com/rss/weeklyhealth.xml. You can also choose specific feeds here (http://www.medicinenet.com/rss/article.htm) (e.g. Lung Conditions, Arthritis, Migraine Headaches, Pregnancy, Sexual Health, Infectious Disease, etc.)
- MedicalNewsToday.com – Featured Headlines: http://rss.medicalnewstoday.com/featurednews.xml
- Medical News Today – You can also choose individual feeds here: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/newsfeeds-rss (e.g. Medical Students/Training, Immune System/Vaccines, Blood/Hematology, Emergency Medicine, Parkinson’s Disease, Respiratory/Asthma, Restless Legs Syndrome, etc.)
You can also search online for general RSS feeds, e.g. “medical rss feeds” or search for feeds on specific areas, e.g. “medicare rss feeds”, “pediatrics rss feeds”, “statins rss feeds”, etc.
(RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feeds can help to improve your website’s UX.)
Add Downloadable Forms
Checklists and explanatory charts are a great way to help increase visitor engagement and add value to your readers. Checklists and medical forms can provide users with useful step-by-step instructions and resources to get necessary tasks done. Checklists and forms are great client instructional tools.
You can provide checklists and forms (or links to these) covering a range of subjects such as:
- Booking appointments
- Checklists for pre or post treatment
- Health checklists and charts for specific systems
- Dental checklists – e.g. first visit, caries prevention program, general dentistry, etc.
- Weight loss and nutrition program checklists
- General charts & infographics (e.g. acidity level of different foods, sleep requirements at different ages, etc.)
Providing unique tools and applications on your site is a great way to increase visitor engagement and significantly add value to your visitors. Calculators are great tools to add to your website. Others can include things like nutritional tools, or even recipes.
In part 2 of this detailed article, we discuss a several online tools you can use in your site using WordPress plugins and themes that can also help improve your search engine optimization, increase user engagement and drive more visitors to your business.
This is the end of section 1.
Click on this link to continue reading:
- Tips For Medical Services Providers – WordPress Plugins That Improve Search Engine Optimization, Increase User Engagement And Increase Traffic To Your Business Generation
"If you're new to WordPress, this can stand on its own as a training course and will stay with you as you progress from beginner to advanced and even guru status." - Bruce (Columbus, Ohio)