Grow Your Medical Or Healthcare Business Online With WordPress
The online economy has not only revolutionized business around the world, it has also created a number of challenges and opportunities for medical and health services practitioners and financial service providers.
Online Challenges For Health And Medical Practitioners
Now, more than ever, medical services professionals must work harder and find smarter ways to stand out from their competition and generate new clientele. Not only do you have to maintain a strong presence in the community you serve, you must also maintain a strong presence online. This includes having an effective website and learning smarter ways to grow your services online.
As well as spending dollars in offline marketing, businesses in the medical or health-related industry are also finding that increasingly larger amounts of their budget need to be delegated towards the development and management of a website that drives new clients, engages users, outranks the competition in search engines and social media, and helps give them wider exposure online.
This means that your site not only has to look professional, load fast, and your website has to be easy to navigate, but it’s also important to keep in mind that your site’s needs will change over time and some aspects will need to be updated often. This requires a well-developed website and content management strategy in place.
One other difficult challenge that medical services practitioners face, and most other businesses for that matter, is that they have only around 30 seconds to give users what they are searching for or they will look elsewhere.
“Websites have evolved into central information hubs where service information is still present but enhanced with web portals, hyperlinks to state and federal sites, and a variety of free tools.”
Opportunities For The Health & Medical Profession In The Digital Economy
As well as facing many business and technology changes, there are also loads of online opportunities available to health or medical practices that are willing to evolve to meet the demands of the digital economy and think progressively in terms of marketing their business better online.
This comprehensive article will help you uncover new ways to generate more traffic and establish online credibility for your health business.
As well as providing useful website improvement tips, we also emphasize the benefits and advantages of using the WordPress Content Management System to power your health-related website.
For more information about the benefits and advantages of using the WordPress Content Management System, go here:
- Discover Why A Poorly Built Web Site Can Lose You Prospective Buyers And What To Do About It
- WordPress For Business Owners – The Beginner’s Guide To Growing Your Business With WordPress
Ways To Improve Your Website
This section looks at how to improve your website and get better results. We will look at what pages your site needs, what type of content works best for health-related websites, layout and navigation structure, etc.
If you need specific help with website planning, see this detailed step-by-step guide: A Money-Saving Guide To Web Site Planning For Business Owners
Your Web Pages
Professional business websites require several basic web pages. Let’s take a look at these.
Services And Products
It’s essential to include a page that explains your services and any products that you offer. Depending on which area of health you specialize in, this page can include services like:
- Medical And Surgical – e.g. anaesthetics, neurosurgery endocrinology, plastic surgery, gerontology, rheumatology, bariatric surgery, ophtalmology palliative care, etc.
- Dental Services – e.g. general dentistry, children’s dentistry, cleaning services, restorations, braces, emergency dental services, etc.
- Cardiology – e.g. heart surgery, coronary care
- Prenatal and Postnatal – e.g. birth suites, midwifery, etc.
- Child Health services – paediatrics, child development, children services, etc.
- Diagnostic – mammography, skin cancer, oral health, women’s health, psychosis, allergy testing, etc.
- Pathology – lab testing and analysis, routine pathology testing, occupational and environmental testing, speech pathology, etc
- Counselling services – mental health, alcohol, tobacco & other drug services, domestic abuse, wellness coaching, social work services
- Alternative therapies – Chinese medicine, homeopathy, functional medicine, massage therapy, chiropractic services, hypnotherapy, etc.
- Other medical services – diet and nutrition, othopedics, reproductive services, rehabilitation, inherited diseases, prosthetics, assisted living, home care, sexual health, medical transport, etc.
Make sure to list all of the services you provide. Educate your visitors about what your services do and direct them to your contact or appointment booking page.
The ‘About Us’ page should give a description of your business and explain to visitors what it stands for, its unique approach, community involvement, etc.
This page should also include any awards, certifications, accreditations, recognitions, publications, associations, etc., that could be used to promote your medical services and set yourself above the competition.
(List all of your awards certifications, recognitions, accreditations, associations, publications, etc. in your About page. Screenshot image source: squaremedical.com.au)
Meet Your Staff
Are you searching for cost-effective ideas to grow your business online? Then make it easier for your prospects to get to know, like and trust your business better.
You want people to relate to your business. A great way to do that is to have a page that introduces your employees or team members. It should include a photo and a mini bio. Since most visitors won’t be that well-versed in health or medical terms your bio descriptions should tell who they are and what they specialize in. It should also explain what those specialties mean. It can include social buttons that will allow your site visitors to follow your staff members on their social pages.
In this page, don’t be afraid to humanize your team members with personal stories, hobbies, etc., but make sure to outline your staff member’s expertise and qualifications, how their skills contribute to the success of your team, and more importantly, how they will help add value to your clients’ business.
(Add a team profile page. Screenshot image source: southperthchiro.com.au)
We have created a detailed tutorial on how to easily create and add an easy-to-update directory of employees in your WordPress site using a free plugin here: How To Easily Add A Simple Staff List To Your WordPress Site With No Coding Skills Required
Work With Us
List any career opportunities within the company. It could include training offered, benefits, opportunities for advancement, etc. You should also include stories of graduates who have risen within your company and information about new career opportunities in the health-related industry.
Maintain a positions available section in your page. If there are no positions currently available, consider inviting people to return periodically to the page, subscribe to your newsletter, follow your social pages, etc.
Case studies and testimonials from past clients are a great way to attract potential clients and showcase the services you offer. Adding a web page with case studies and testimonials from past clients also establishes social proof online.
(Add a page to your site with case studies and testimonials. Screenshot image sourced from: arrowsmiledental.com)
We have created a detailed article on using testimonials, case studies and client reviews improve your business online. You can learn more here: Learn How To Convert More Visitors Into Prospects With Meaningful Testimonials
A functional contact page is absolutely vital.
It should include:
- Fax number
- Google Map and directions
- Web URL
- Contact form
- Contact name
- Social media URLs
- Chat (optional feature)
If you operate from multiple areas you will want to make that clear when showing your address and contact information.
You can also include links to an FAQ section, useful pages, online booking form, support area, newsletter, blog, etc.
A blog can be a very powerful business marketing tool. Most blogging platforms are built around a content management system that allows you to promote your business by publishing content like news, updates, training information, discussions on current topics, promotional videos, media presentations, etc.
If you already have an medical site, then consider adding a WordPress-driven blog to promote your medical business.
If you don’t have a website yet, or if your existing health or medical website is very hard to keep updated with new content or not delivering you the results you want, then WordPress can act as both your website and your blog.
Something not many businesses know about, is that an expertly configured WordPress site can become an automated traffic machine that will begin attracting targeted traffic to your web site, simply by publishing regular content to your site.
(An expertly configured WordPress site can automate your traffic generation)
For more details:
- WordPress Website Traffic Blueprint – Learn How To Turn Your WordPress Blog Into A Web Traffic Machine
As a professional business, ensuring that you have a compliant website is important. This is not only important for establishing credibility with visitors, but also to ensure that you are not contravening any local, regional or federal laws and regulations wherever you provide services.
Depending on what services you provide, adding the following legal pages to your website will help you stay out of legal hot water with most regulatory authorities, third-party service providers (e.g. Facebook), and other potential legal threats or inconveniences:
- Contact Page
- Terms And Conditions
- Website Disclaimer
- Affiliate Agreement
- Anti-Spam Policy
- Compensation Disclosure
- DMCA Notice
- Earnings Disclaimer
- External Linking Policy
- Health/Financial Disclaimers
- Refund Policy
- Video/Audio Terms
We have written a comprehensive article on adding legal pages to your website. Go here to learn more about this: Adding Legal Pages To Your Site
How To Improve Your Web Content
In today’s ultra-competitive global economy, the sooner you begin engaging in the practice of content marketing, the quicker you will begin to see results and differentiate yourself from your competitors.
By providing useful content with information, tips or advice, you will get your visitors to share your web pages and come back for more. This is the most effective way to educate your visitors and prospects about your services.
For example, if you provide weight management services, then some of the topics you can cover in your web content include:
- Common medical conditions that can cause weight gain
- The role portion control plays in helping you your weight loss efforts
- Is using a measuring tape better than a scale when it comes to weight loss progress?
- 3 tips that will help you avoid late night snacking (e.g. drink water with lemon)
You can also create a series of informative articles that will help your prospective clients understand your health-related services, by explaining benefits, procedures, terminology, etc.
Remember to use the same keywords and terminology in your content that your prospective clients will search for.
We recommend subscribing to our Content Marketing Email Training Series. You will receive a comprehensive series of training emails with actionable information and practical tips that will teach exactly how to drive more traffic to your web site, save money creating high-quality content for your visitors and grow your business online using content marketing strategies. It’s not only a great course with loads of useful information, it’s also completely FREE!
Ways To Improve Visitor Engagement And User Experience
Improving your user experience (generally referred to as UX) helps to keep visitors coming back and using your site. This section will show you different ways to improve visitor engagement and user experience.
Syndicating Content - RSS Feeds
An RSS feed provides lots of benefits for your website.
If you provide useful information, other businesses will want to syndicate your content.
Some of the benefits of syndicating your content to other websites using RSS feeds, include:
- All of your updates are in one place
- Content distribution doesn’t rely on email
- Feeds can be shared and picked up by other sites online
- RSS feeds allow users to subscribe
- An RSS feed provides a way for links to point back to your site
- Your feeds can be submitted to RSS directories
- There are various ways readers can receive your content (e.g. users can view the content on their mobile device using different applications)
- RSS is built into WordPress
There are also a number of benefits when it comes to adding syndicated content to your site from other sites, such as the fact that you don’t have to write, manage or update the content.
To find RSS feeds with useful content just visit sites of relevant government departments or industry bodies.
Below we have listed a few RSS feeds you could consider adding to your site:
- US Department Of Health And Human Services – e.g. Blog feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/SelectedHhsBlogPosts, etc. You can search by departments and choose individual RSS feeds, like feeds on women’s health issues (e.g. Emergency preparedness, Environmental health, HIV/AIDS, Menopause, Screening tests and vaccines, etc.) here: http://womenshealth.gov/news/rss/rss-feeds.html
- US National Libraries Of Medicine – For a list of feeds from various medical journals, publications and websites (e.g. The Oncologist, Journal of Biological Chemistry, Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, BMJ Evidence-Based Medicine, BMJ Postgraduate Medical Journal, etc.) go here: http://www.healthplusplus.com/wiki/List_of_RSS_feeds_on_health
- National Institutes Of Health - Find various health-related feeds here: http://www.nih.gov/Subscriptions.htm
- US Food And Drug Administration (FDA) – Find FDA-related feeds (e.g. enforcement reports, health fraud, recalls, radiological health, etc.) and podcasts here: http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/ContactFDA/StayInformed/RSSFeeds
- UK Department Of Health (https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-of-health) – Latest news: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-of-health.atom
- The Department Of Health (Australian Government): http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/xml/rssLatestNews.xml
- Department Of Public Health (Australia – State Level): e.g. NSW – http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/pages/rss.aspx
- Centers For Disease Control And Prevention (www.cdc.gov) - Get many feeds on health-related topics and podcasts here: http://www2c.cdc.gov/podcasts/rss.asp
- Medical News: You can search medical news feeds by going to publications like the NYTimes feeds section (e.g. Medical research: http://www.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/nyt/Research.xml)
- MedicineNet.com – Weekly Health and Medical News Digest: http://www.medicinenet.com/rss/weeklyhealth.xml. You can also select specific feeds here (http://www.medicinenet.com/rss/article.htm) (e.g. Allergies, Cancer, Migraine Headaches, Diet & Weight Management, Prevention & Wellness, HIV, etc.)
- Medical News Today – Medical News Headlines: http://rss.medicalnewstoday.com/featurednews.xml
- Medical News Today – You can also select individual RSS feeds here: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/newsfeeds-rss (e.g. MRSA/Drug Resistance, Lupus, Depression, Dermatology, Food Intolerance, Tropical Diseases, Psychology/Psychiatry, etc.)
You can also search online for general RSS feeds, e.g. “medical rss feeds” or search for feeds on specific areas, e.g. “pregnancy rss feeds”, “gynecology rss feeds”, “genetics rss feeds”, etc.
(Add RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feeds to provide your visitors with a better UX.)
Provide Forms & Checklists
Checklists and educational charts are a fantastic way to increase visitor engagement and add value to your audience. They can give them step-by-step information and resources to get necessary tasks completed. Charts and checklists can also be great client instructional tools.
You can provide online or downloadable checklists, charts and forms covering a range of topics such as:
- Checklists/forms for booking appointments
- Checklists for pre or post treatment
- Health checklists and charts for specific medical conditions
- Dental checklists – e.g. first visit, maintenance program, general dentistry, etc.
- Fitness and exercise program checklists and charts
- General charts & infographics (e.g. caloric level of different foods, sleep requirements at different stages of development, etc.)
Provide Unique Tools
Providing useful online tools and applications on your site is a great way to increase visitor engagement and add significant value to potential clients. Health-related calculators, for example, are great tools to add to your website. Others can include things like diagnostic tools, and even recipes.
In the next section, we will look at a several WordPress plugins you can use in your health-related website that can help to improve search engine optimization, increase user engagement and drive more visitors to your business.
This is the end of part one of this comprehensive article on ways to grow your health-related business web presence.
Click on this link to continue:
- A Step-By-Step Guide On How To Successfully Build And Grow A Medical Services And Health-Related Web Presence – Part 2
"I was absolutely amazed at the scope and breadth of these tutorials! The most in-depth training I have ever received on any subject!" - Myke O'Neill, DailyGreenPost.com