Grow Your Medical Or Healthcare Business Online With WordPress
The digital age has not only transformed the way business is done globally, it has also created increasingly difficult challenges and great opportunities for businesses in the health profession.
Online Challenges For Medical Providers
Now, more than ever, health and medical services providers must work hard to remain competitive and obtain new clients. Not only do you have to maintain a strong presence in the community you serve, you must also develop and maintain a strong presence online. This includes having an effective website and learning how to better promote your practice online.
In addition to spending dollars advertising offline, businesses in the health or medical-related industry are also finding that increasingly larger amounts of their marketing budget will need to be allocated to developing and maintaining a website that attracts clients, engages users, outperforms the competition in search engines and social media, and helps them gain a wider marketing exposure online.
This means that your site not only has to look professional, your pages have to be fast-loading, and your site has to be easy to navigate, but even more importantly, the needs of the website may change over time and some aspects will need to be updated frequently. This requires the implementation of a well-planned website and content management strategy.
Another problem that health and medical services professionals face, as do most professions for that matter, is that they have an average of 30 seconds to help visitors find the information they need or they will go away.
“Websites have evolved into central information hubs where service information is still present but enhanced with web portals, hyperlinks to state and federal sites, and a variety of free tools.”
Online Opportunities For Medical Providers
As well as facing many challenges, there are also plenty of online opportunities available to businesses in the health or medical-related sector that can evolve to meet digital economy challenges and who can think strategically when it comes to improving their online business marketing skills.
The guide below will help you uncover ways to attract and engage new visitors and establish stronger online credibility for your business.
As well as providing general website improvement tips, we also recommend that you consider using the WordPress Content Management System to power your health or medical website or blog.
To learn more about the benefits and advantages of using the WordPress platform, see these articles:
- Learn How A Poorly Built Web Site Can Cost You Money And What To Do About It
- WordPress For Business Owners – A Complete Guide To Growing Your Successful Business With A WordPress Blog
How To Improve Your Website
Let’s start by reviewing some basic information you need. In this section, we’ll look at how to improve your website and get better results online. We will look at what pages your site needs, what type of content you need, layout and navigation, etc.
If you need assistance or help planning your health or medical-related website, visit this page: A Practical Guide To Web Site Planning For Business Owners
Your Website Pages
Professional business websites need a number of basic pages. Let’s discuss the pages your should have and how to set up your website for best results.
Products And Services
It’s essential to include a page that explains your products or services. Depending on which area you specialize in, this page can list services like:
- Medical And Surgical – e.g. ear, nose & throat, neurosurgery blood disorders, reconstructive surgery, continence management, respiratory, endoscopy, eye diseases emergency surgery, etc.
- Dental Services – e.g. preventive dentistry, children’s dentistry, gum disease, veneers, crowns and bridges, dentofacial orthopedics, emergency dental, etc.
- Cardiology – e.g. heart monitoring, chronic heart conditions
- Prenatal/Postnatal – e.g. birth suites, maternity services, etc.
- Child Health services – paediatrics, child development, children services, etc.
- Diagnostic – breast screens, skin cancer, radiology and imaging, pap smears, magnetic resonance imaging, allergy testing, etc.
- Pathology services – laboratory testing and analysis, emergency pathology testing, fine-needle aspiration biopsy, speech pathology, etc
- Counselling services – mental health services, alcohol, tobacco & other drug services, marriage counselling, wellbeing, social work services
- Alternative treatments – acupuncture, reflexology, reiki, massage therapy, chiropractic services, hypnosis, etc.
- Other medical services – diet and nutrition, sports medicine, lymphedema therapy, stomal therapy, neurosciences, prosthetics, mobility, home care, community health, medical supplies, etc.
List all of the services you provide. Educate your visitors about what your services do and why they should book an appointment with you.
About Us Page
The ‘About Us’ page should give a description of your business and what your business stands for, its unique approach, community activities, etc.
Remember to list any industry awards, certifications, accreditations, recognitions, associations, publications, etc., that could be used to promote your services and to position yourself above the competition.
(List all of your business awards certifications, accreditations, recognitions, publications, associations, etc. in the About page. Screenshot source: squaremedical.com.au)
Are you looking for quicker and easier ways to sell more products online and get prospects to stay longer on your site? Then make it easier for visitors to get to know, like and trust your business better.
You want people to relate to your business. One great way to do that is to have a page that introduces your team. It should include a photo and a mini biography. Since most visitors won’t be familiar with medical terms it should tell who they are and what their specialties are. It should also explain what those specialized areas do. It should include social buttons that will allow your site visitors to follow some of your staff members on their social networks.
In this page, make sure to highlight your person’s qualifications, why they are an invaluable asset to your team, and more importantly, how they can help add value to your clients’ business.
(Add a page that introduces your employees to prospective new clients. Image sourced from: southperthchiro.com.au)
If you need help how to easily add an easy-to-maintain directory of employees in your website without coding skills, go here: How To Add A Simple Employee List On Your WordPress Site
Career Opportunities Page
This is a listing of job opportunities within the business. This page could include type of training provided, benefits, professional development, etc. You can also include information such as the job outlook and new career opportunities in the health-related industry.
Also include a positions available section in your page. If there are no positions currently available, consider inviting people to return periodically to this page, subscribe to your updates list, follow your social pages, etc.
Testimonials from past clients and case studies are a great way to attract potential clients and showcase your services. By adding a page with case studies and reviews from clients, you will also help to are also providing social proof online for your business.
(Add a page with case studies and client reviews. Screenshot image source: arrowsmiledental.com)
To learn more about using testimonials and reviews, see this article: Learn How To Convert More Visitors Into Qualified Prospects Using Profit-Boosting Customer Testimonials
Contact Us Page
Having a functional contact page is absolutely vital.
Your contact page should provide some or all of the following information about your company:
- Physical location
- Contact email
- Google Map and directions
- Website URL
- Contact form
- Request for more information – who to contact
- Links to social media pages
- Chat feature (optional)
If you have multiple locations you want to make that clear when showing the address and contact info.
Consider also including links to an FAQ section, useful pages, online booking request, support area, newsletter, blog, etc.
Add A Medical-Related Blog Section
A blog is a very powerful marketing tool for your business. Blogs typically comprise of a content management system that is simple to use and allows you to easily promote your business using timely content such as news and announcements, updates, training articles and tutorials, discussions on current topics, how-to videos, webinars, etc.
If you already have an established site, then consider adding a WordPress blog to market your medical organization.
If you don’t have a website yet, or if your existing medical or health-related website is hard to add new content to or not delivering you the results you want, then WordPress can serve as both your website and your blog.
Very few businesses know that WordPress can become an automated traffic system that can begin to attract web traffic to your business, simply by adding regular content to your website.
(WordPress can automate your traffic generation)
For more details, go here:
- WordPress Website Traffic Blueprint – A Complete Guide To Getting More Traffic For Your Business Automatically
It’s very important for health professionals businesses to have a website that complies will all legal requirements online. This is not only important for building credibility with prospective clients, but also to ensure that you are not breaking any local, regional or federal laws and regulations in whichever area or location you service.
Adding some or all of the following legal pages to your health site will help keep you out of trouble with most regulatory authorities, third-party service providers (e.g. Facebook), and other potential sources of threats and legal inconveniences:
- Contact Page
- Privacy Statement
- Terms And Conditions Of Use
- Website Disclaimer
- Affiliate Agreement
- Anti-Spam Policy
- Compensation Disclosure
- DMCA Notice
- Earnings Disclaimer
- External Linking Policy
- Health Disclaimers
- Refund Policy
- Video/Audio Terms
- and others
To learn more about adding legal pages to your site, see this article: What You Need To Know About Adding Legal Pages To Your WordPress Site
Improve The Content On Your Website
In today’s highly competitive global business economy, the sooner you begin engaging in the practice of content marketing, the sooner you will begin to differentiate yourself from the competition.
By committing to providing useful content with great information, advice or tips, you will get your visitors sharing your web pages and coming back for more content. This is the most effective way to inform and teach site visitors and prospective clients about your business and services.
For example, if your business provides weight loss services, then some of the topics you could write about include the following:
- Common medical conditions that can cause weight gain
- How to set realistic, but challenging weight loss goals
- Is using a measuring tape better than a scale when it comes to weight loss progress?
- A guide to making the smarter choices choices when eating out at any restaurant
You can also create a series of informative articles that will help your readers gain a better understanding of your health-related services, by explaining benefits, procedures, costs (including payment plans, insurance coverage, etc).
Use keywords and terms in your content that readers will search for online.
We recommend subscribing to our Content Marketing Email Training Series. You will receive regular training emails with easy-to-digest information that will teach exactly how to drive more traffic to your site, save money creating useful content for your site visitors and grow your business online using content marketing. It’s not only a great course with loads of useful information, it’s also completely FREE!
Ways To Improve User Experience
Improving your site’s user experience (generally referred to as UX) will help to keep visitors coming back and using your site. This section will show you ways you can improve visitor engagement and user experience.
RSS Feeds – Content Syndication
An RSS feed provides lots of benefits for your business.
If you provide information that adds value to others, other businesses will want to syndicate your content to their visitors.
Some of the benefits of having other businesses syndicate your content, include:
- All of your content updates are kept in one place
- Content distribution doesn’t rely on email
- Feeds can be shared and picked up by other sites online
- RSS feeds allow for subscribing
- It provides a way for links to point back to your content
- Feeds can be submitted to RSS directories
- RSS provides various ways for your readers to receive your content (e.g. read your content on their mobile device using feed readers)
- It’s built into WordPress
There are also benefits when it comes to providing information on your site from other sites, such as the fact that you don’t have to write, manage or update the content.
You can find many useful RSS feeds by searching online for health and medical-related government departments or respected industry bodies.
For example, here are examples of feeds containing useful information that you could add to a medical or health site:
- US Department Of Health And Human Services – e.g. Latest news feed: http://www.hhs.gov/rss/news/hhsnews.xml, etc. You can search by departments and select individual feeds, like feeds on women’s health issues (e.g. Breast cancer, Health care for women, HIV/AIDS, Minority women’s health, Violence against women, etc.) here: http://womenshealth.gov/news/rss/rss-feeds.html
- US National Libraries Of Medicine – For a directory of RSS feeds from leading medical journals, publications and websites (e.g. BMJ Evidence-Based Nursing, Nutrition Journal, BMJ Injury Prevention, Occupational Medicine, BMJ Evidence-Based Mental Health, etc.) go here: http://www.healthplusplus.com/wiki/List_of_RSS_feeds_on_health
- National Institutes Of Health - Get many feeds on health-related topics here: http://www.nih.gov/Subscriptions.htm
- US Food And Drug Administration (FDA) – Get FDA-related feeds (e.g. enforcement reports, MedWatch safety alerts (human medical products), product recalls, animal and veterinary news, etc.) and podcasts here: http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/ContactFDA/StayInformed/RSSFeeds
- UK Department Of Health (https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-of-health) – Latest news: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-of-health.atom
- The Department Of Health (Australian Government): http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/xml/rssLatestNews.xml
- Department Of Public Health (Australia – State Level): e.g. Western Australia – http://www.public.health.wa.gov.au/feed/?types=news
- Centers For Disease Control And Prevention (www.cdc.gov) - Get various health-related RSS feeds and podcasts here: http://www2c.cdc.gov/podcasts/rss.asp
- Medical News Feeds: You can search medical news RSS feeds in places like the NYTimes feeds section (e.g. Health news: http://www.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/nyt/Health.xml)
- MedicineNet – MedTerms Medical Word of the Day: http://www.medicinenet.com/rss/dailyword.xml. You can also choose specific RSS feeds here (http://www.medicinenet.com/rss/article.htm) (e.g. Lung Conditions, Cancer, Chronic Pain, Diet & Weight Management, Sexual Health, Thyroid, etc.)
- Medical News Today – MNT Featured Headlines: http://rss.medicalnewstoday.com/featurednews.xml
- Medical News Today – You can also select individual feeds here: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/newsfeeds-rss (e.g. Cystic Fibrosis, Arthritis/Rheumatology, Infectious Diseases/Bacteria/Viruses, Regulatory Affairs/Drug Approvals, Primary Care/General Practice, Biology/Biochemistry, Clinical Trials/Drug Trials, etc.)
You can also just search online for general RSS feeds, e.g. “medical rss feeds” or search for feeds on specific topics, e.g. “muscular dystrophy rss feeds”, “dermatology rss feeds”, “medical practice management rss feeds”, etc.
(Adding RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feeds can help to improve your medical or health website’s user experience.)
Provide Downloadable Forms & Checklists
Checklists and medical forms are a fantastic way to increase visitor engagement, add value to your audience and set yourself apart from the competition. Forms and checklists can give them useful information and resources to perform a task. Charts and checklists are great instructional tools.
You can provide a range of forms, charts and checklists covering areas such as:
- Booking appointments
- Checklists for post-surgery recovery
- Health checklists and charts for specific conditions
- Dental checklists – e.g. first visit, caries prevention program, general dentistry, etc.
- Fitness and exercise program checklists
- General charts & infographics (e.g. caloric level of different foods, the importance of sleep at different stages of development, etc.)
Provide Other Tools
Providing useful tools, gadgets and applications on your site can help increase visitor engagement and add significant value to potential clients. Calculators are useful tools you can add to your website. Others could include things like nutritional tools, and even recipes.
In the next section of this detailed guide, we take a look at a several WordPress plugins you can use in your website that improve seo, increase user engagement and generate more web traffic to your business.
This is the end of part one.
Click on this link to keep reading:
- Your Medical Clinic Website – WordPress Plugins For Improving Search Engine Optimization, Better User Engagement And Driving More Visitors To Your Site
"I am beyond impressed with what you have put together. I can tell that you put a ton of hard work into building what you have. You have the absolute best content on WordPress I have ever seen!" - Robert T. Jillie