Welcome to Part Five of our WordPress Web Traffic Blueprint article series, where we show you how to drive traffic automatically to your website using WordPress.
So far, we have covered the following in this article series:
In Part 1, we explained why using an expertly configured WordPress website or blog is the key to generating automated traffic …
(With an expertly configured WordPress website, all you have to do to automatically start driving web traffic is post fresh content on a regular basis!)
In Part Two, we focused on critical setup decisions. We helped you understand the best way to start if you don’t have a web presence yet, how to set everything up if you already have a website, and what to do if your website has been built with WordPress.
(In Part two we show you where to set up WordPress on your domain)
In Part Three, we looked at the configuration phase of this system. We configured all the settings that affect your website’s traffic-getting ability …
(In Part 3 we show you how to configure hosting settings, internal settings, and external settings that affect your site’s traffic-getting ability)
In Part 4, we discussed ways to automate traffic to your website using plugins.
(Publish once to WordPress and automate the distribution of your content to all other channels!)
In Part Five of the WordPress web traffic automation blueprint article series, we discuss ways to optimize your traffic using a number of tools and strategies.
WordPress Web Traffic Automation System – Systems
In addition to having an expertly configured WordPress site, generating quality traffic consistently is the product of a well-defined business vision, sound digital planning, and good systems and process in place.
(Generating consistent traffic is the product of a business vision, sound planning, and great systems)
Let’s review the systems that will help you grow and manage this traffic.
- Marketing Systems – The processes and methods used to create traffic for your business.
- Technical Systems – The systems used to keep your digital presence optimized for receiving traffic.
- Business Systems – How you manage and respond to traffic.
(Systems help you grow and manage your traffic)
Let’s briefly review how important these systems are:
Your marketing systems consist of the processes and strategies used to drive traffic to your website. Your marketing systems can be tested by asking questions such as:
- What channels will you use to generate traffic (e.g. blogging, video marketing, etc)?
- What resources and portion of your budget will you assign to these channels?
- How will you create and optimize your content, sales funnels, and marketing campaigns?
- How will you measure the cost-effectiveness of your campaigns?
During the setup and configuration phase, you would have installed an analytics program (e.g. Google Analytics). If you’re just starting out, you may want to consider investing in some paid advertising to help generate some intelligence. If you’re tracking your marketing campaigns correctly, this should yield some actionable data, such as the keywords people are searching online to find your website, which you can use to create content better targeted to your audience.
Your technical systems ensure that your online presence remains operating efficiently for receiving new traffic. There’s no point sending traffic to your website if your site is experiencing problems or your web pages take a long time to load.
Your systems include handling technical areas like webhosting, site maintenance and support, installing, configuring, and updating new software (e.g. plugins), customization, integration, troubleshooting, etc.
You can test your technical systems by questions such as:
- Who looks after my webhosting?
- Who will look after my website and keep my site, plugins, themes, etc. maintained and up-to-date?
- Who will fix errors, troubleshoot problems, provide technical support and advice, etc. should anything go wrong?
Many potential problems can be minimized if your planning and setup and configuration phases have been completed correctly. Like all technology, however, you will always run into new problems. You will need the right technical systems in place to handle these.
You need good operational systems in place to help you manage new traffic. These include:
- Communication systems
- Resources management – human, financial
- Handling leads and sales inquiries
- Order fulfillment
- Customer training/service
If you intend to outsource your digital marketing and technical maintenance, then make sure you also implement good systems to manage all outsourcing.
WordPress Traffic Automation System – Traffic Optimization Strategies
If your business objectives are clear and your systems and processes are in place, all you need to focus on is how to develop your “traffic loop”.
Let’s walk through an example of how to implement, optimize, and automate a traffic loop. Take a look at the diagram below …
(Implementing an effective traffic loop)
Increase Reach & Visibility
Step 1 of the process is to expose your business to as many traffic generation sites and channels as your resources will allow.
Useful Tips & Ideas
- Your expertly configured WordPress site will allow you to instantly notify and publicize your content to social media accounts like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. The easiest way to increase your reach and visibility online, therefore, is to simply publish more content through your expertly configured WordPress site.
- As mentioned earlier, investing in some paid advertising can help you generate actionable data, which you can use to create content better targeted to your audience’s needs.
- Repurpose your content to leverage the power and reach of different media formats.
- Continue learning about ways to attract visitors using methods like Facebook, podcasts, forum ads, etc.
Tools And Strategies
See previous sections of this article series for many excellent tools and methods we’ve already covered to help you reach more potential users.
Also, ask us about plugins that allow you to easily add the following to your WordPress website:
- Share your comments and posts online with others,
- Run contests, offer discounts/downloads for likes/shares,
- Display user generated content, feeds, etc.
- Publish and distribute content online in different media formats (e.g. videos, PDF guides, audio, etc.)
Build Authority And Credibility
Getting more content published is great, but for this activity to be really effective, your content also needs to be building authority and credibility with your audience.
Publishing better quality content not only helps to establish your credibility, it also improves your chances of getting more people to share it around and hence more traffic.
- Focus on content that will add value to users and showcase your expertise. This includes content that informs and educates readers, training content, case studies, adding testimonials, etc.
- Consider publishing an instructional e-book that can be sold or distributed online.
Tools, Plugins, & Strategies
We have created a detailed email course on how to develop a content marketing strategy, how to promote your business with content, content creation tools, and ways to never run out of new content ideas that you can plug into for free here:
Also, see other posts and tutorials on this site to learn more about plugins that allow you to easily add the following to your website:
- Legal Pages
- Customer Support (e.g. Helpdesk, Live Chat, etc.)
- User Reviews
- Badges/Certificates Of Recognition
Grow Influence And Engagement
As your business grows, you may want to consider developing “traffic on demand.” You can achieve this by building a list or starting an online forum, membership site, or even your own social network.
With “Traffic On Tap,” all of your traffic comes from an audience of customers or subscribers – people who already like you and trust you. Your influence and credibility can be used to generate traffic with every post you publish or email broadcast you send out.
- Encourage commenting and discussions on your site.
- Add an email training course and encourage people to subscribe.
- Add a free, paid, or ‘freemium’ membership site, online forum, or social community.
- Start or join an online group on Facebook.
Plugins, Tools, And Methods
There are many solutions and WordPress plugins that are easy to implement and can help grow your online influence and improve user engagement. For example:
- Autoresponders (e.g. Aweber, MailChimp, etc.)
- Contact Forms, Live Chat
- Forums and Discussion Groups (e.g. bbPress, BuddyPress)
- Polls and Surveys
- Webinars (e.g. Webinar JEO)
- Comment sharing
- Add media, video galleries, etc.
Identify Needs/Problems And Provide Solutions To These
By taking advantage of incoming traffic to find out what problems your visitors are trying to solve, you can develop new products, services, and solutions, all of which can provide you with new opportunities to generate new streams of traffic.
- Create an e-learning course.
- Publish a special report that can be sold or distributed online.
- Add e-commerce to your business.
Tools And Strategies
If you plan to provide solutions online (as opposed to just providing information), then some of the more useful plugins you may want to consider adding to your website include:
- Membership Site plugins (e.g. Wishlist Member, S2 Member, etc.)
- Learning Management Systems (e.g. Courseware)
- Event Registrations (e.g. EventEspresso)
Analyze Data & Feedback
The final step of the process is the collection and analysis of data. Learning to interpret data gathered from existing traffic allows you to discover new traffic opportunities.
You should already have installed an analytics program (e.g. Google Analytics) on your site. Make sure you also learn how to interpret the data.
WordPress Traffic Automation System – Summary
Once you implement the above strategies, all you have to do is rinse and repeat, fine-tuning and refining your methods as you go to grow your traffic and get better your results.
- Begin with an expertly configured WordPress site backed by solid marketing, technical and business systems,
- Implement a content marketing strategy (consider also investing in some paid advertising to drive traffic and generate useful data) to increase your reach and visibility online,
- Add plugins, list-building strategies, and other solutions as necessary to help build authority, trust, and credibility, and also to increase engagement with visitors,
- Promote any new solutions, products or services using your existing channels and strategies to generate additional streams of traffic,
- Analyse your data and your results, automate your processes wherever possible, and begin the cycle again.
Hopefully, this post has given you a blueprint that will help you drive more traffic automatically to your website and get better results online.
"These tutorials have so much information and are easy to understand. If you use WordPress or plan to in the future these will help you with everything you need to know." - Valisa (Mesa, Arizona)