Welcome to Part Five of our Web Traffic Blueprint article series, where we explain how to create an automated traffic machine using WordPress.
So far, we have covered the following in this article series:
In Part One, we provided an overview of the traffic automation process, and explained why using an expertly configured WordPress website or blog is the key to generating automated traffic …
(With an expertly configured WordPress blog, all you have to do is post great content on a regular basis to begin bringing web traffic!)
In Part Two, we looked at critical setup decisions. We explained the best way to get started if you don’t have a website yet, how to set things up if you already have a website, and what to do if your existing website was built using WordPress.
(In Part two we show you how to set up WordPress on your domain)
In Part Three, we focused on the configuration phase of this process. We explained how to configure webhosting settings, WordPress settings, and external settings that can affect your site’s traffic-getting ability …
(In Part 3 you will configure all the settings (hosting, internal and external) that can affect your site’s traffic-getting ability)
In Part 4, we discussed ways to automate traffic generation using various plugins.
(Publish once to WordPress and automate your content distribution to all other channels!)
In this section of the WordPress web traffic automation blueprint series, we look at ways to optimize your traffic using different tools and strategies.
WordPress Traffic Automation Blueprint – Traffic Optimization Systems
In addition to having an expertly configured WordPress site, the key to generating successfully on a consistent basis is having a clear business vision, careful digital planning, and good systems and process in place.
(Generating regular traffic is the product of having a clear business vision, sound planning, and great systems)
Let’s review briefly the systems that will help you grow and manage this traffic.
These systems include:
- Marketing Systems – The processes and strategies used to create traffic for your business.
- Technical Systems – The systems and processes used to ensure that your online presence remains up and running for receiving new traffic.
- Business Systems – How you manage and respond to traffic.
(Use systems to grow, automate, and manage your traffic)
Let’s briefly review how important these systems are for traffic:
Your marketing systems consist of the processes and strategies used to drive traffic to your business. You can test your online marketing systems by asking questions such as:
- What channels do you plan to use to generate traffic (e.g. blogging, video marketing, etc)?
- How will you allocate your budget and resources to these channels?
- How will you create and optimize your content, sales funnels, and run your marketing campaigns?
- How will you track conversions and measure the ROI of your campaigns?
During the setup and configuration phase, you would have installed an analytics program (e.g. Google Analytics). If you’re just starting out, you may want to consider investing in some paid advertising to help generate some initial results. If you’re tracking your marketing campaigns correctly, this should yield some actionable data, such as the keywords people are searching online to find your website, which you can use to create web content better targeted to your audience.
Your technical systems ensure that your online presence remains up and running for receiving new traffic. There’s no point sending traffic to your site if your site is down or your pages are taking a very long time to load.
Your systems need to handle areas like webhosting, website maintenance and support, installing, configuring, and updating new software (e.g. plugins), integration, customization, troubleshooting, etc.
Your technical systems can be tested by asking questions such as:
- Who looks after my server?
- Who looks after my website and keeps my site, plugins, themes, etc. maintained and up-to-date?
- Who will fix errors, troubleshoot problems, provide technical support and advice, etc. if problems occur?
Many potential issues can be minimized if your website planning and setup and configuration phases have been completed correctly. As with all technology, however, you can expect new problems. You will need the right technical systems in place to handle these.
You need good operational systems and processes in place to help you manage traffic. This includes:
- Communication systems
- Resources management – human, financial
- Handling sales enquiries
- Order fulfillment
- Customer service/training
If you plan to outsource your digital marketing and technical services, then make sure you also implement great systems for managing all outsourcing processes.
WordPress Traffic System – Traffic Optimization Tools And Methods
If your business objectives are clear and your systems and processes are in place, all you need to do is focus on how to develop, optimize, and automate a “traffic loop”.
Let’s go through an example of implementing, optimizing, and automating a traffic loop. Take a look at the illustration below …
(Implementing, automating and optimizing your traffic loop)
Increase Reach & Visibility
Step 1 of the process is to get your business exposed to as many members of your target audience as possible.
- An expertly configured WordPress site allows you to instantly share your content on traffic-getting sources like Facebook, Twitter, GooglePlus, etc. The easiest way to increase your reach and visibility online, therefore, is to simply publish more content through your expertly configured WordPress site.
- As mentioned earlier, investing in some paid advertising can help generate some initial data, which you can use to create web content better targeted to your audience.
- Repurpose your content to leverage the power, appeal, and reach of different media formats.
- Continue learning about ways to drive more web visitors using methods like Facebook, YouTube, email, etc.
Tools & Methods
See earlier sections of this article series for a number of excellent tools, plugins, and methods we’ve already covered to help you reach more members of your target audience.
Also, if you haven’t already, look for plugins that allow you to easily add the following to your WordPress website:
- Share your posts online with others,
- Run contests, offer discounts or downloads for shares/likes,
- Accept user generated content, feeds, etc.
- Publish and distribute content online in different media formats (e.g. videos, PDF guides, infographics, etc.)
Build Authority And Credibility
Getting more of your content out there is good, but for this activity to be really effective, your content also needs to build authority and credibility with visitors.
Publishing authoritative content not only helps to establish your credibility, it also improves your chances of getting more views from social sharing and hence more traffic.
- Create and publish content that will add value to potential users and showcase your expertise. This includes content that informs and educates readers, training content, case studies, adding testimonials, etc.
- Consider publishing a “how-to” e-book that you can sell or distribute online.
Tools And Strategies
We have created a complete email course designed to help you come up with endless content ideas for posting to your web site:
Also, look for plugins that let you easily add the following to your website:
- Legal Pages
- Customer Support (e.g. Helpdesk, Live Chat, etc.)
- User Reviews
- Badges/Certificates Of Recognition
Grow Influence & Engagement
As your business grows, you may want to consider developing “traffic on tap.” You can do this by building a list or starting a group.
With “Traffic On Tap,” most of your traffic comes from customers or subscribers – people who already like you and trust you. Your influence and reputation can be used to generate new traffic with every post you publish, forum post you add, or email you send out.
- Encourage commenting and discussions on your site.
- Add an autoresponder training course and encourage people to subscribe.
- Add a free or paid membership site.
- Start or join a Facebook/LinkedIn Group.
Tools And Strategies
Many solutions and WordPress plugins are available that can help grow your online influence and improve engagement. For example:
- Autoresponders/Email Newsletters (e.g. Aweber, MailChimp, etc.)
- Contact Forms, Live Chat
- Forums & Social Communities (e.g. bbPress, BuddyPress)
- Polls and Surveys
- Webinars (e.g. Webinar JEO)
- Comment sharing
- Add media, image galleries, etc.
Identify Problems And Provide Solutions To These
By taking advantage of incoming traffic to listen to what problems your visitors are trying to solve, you should have no problem coming up with ideas for new services, products, and solutions, all of which provide new opportunities to generate new streams of traffic.
Traffic Optimization Tips
- Consider creating a free or paid e-learning program.
- Consider publishing special guides that you can sell or distribute online.
- Add e-commerce to your business.
Plugins, Tools, And Strategies
If you plan to provide services and products online (as opposed to just providing information), learn more about plugins that let you easily add the following to your website:
- Membership Sites (e.g. Wishlist Member, S2 Member, etc.)
- Learning Management Systems (e.g. Courseware)
- Event Registrations (e.g. EventEspresso)
Analyze Data & Feedback
The final step of the process is the collection and analysis of data. By learning to interpret data gathered from existing traffic, you can discover new traffic opportunities.
You should have already installed an analytics program like Google Analytics on your website. Make sure you can also understand the data.
WordPress Web Traffic System – Summary
All you have to do once you implement the above strategies is repeat the process over and over again, fine-tuning and refining your methods as you go to grow your traffic and get better your results.
- Begin with an expertly configured WordPress site backed by good marketing, technical and business systems,
- Implement a content marketing strategy (consider also investing in some paid advertising to drive initial traffic and generate useful data) to increase your reach and visibility online,
- Add plugins, list-building strategies, and other methods if necessary to help build authority, trust, and credibility, and also to improve engagement with users,
- Promote any new solutions, products or services using your existing channels and strategies to generate additional streams of traffic,
- Analyse your data and your results, automate your processes wherever possible, and begin the cycle again.
Hopefully, now you have a blueprint that will help you drive more visitors automatically to your WordPress website and build a better business online.
"If you're new to WordPress, this can stand on its own as a training course and will stay with you as you progress from beginner to advanced and even guru status." - Bruce (Columbus, Ohio)