Welcome to Part 5 of our Website Traffic Blueprint article series, where we explain how to grow your business online automatically using the WordPress CMS.
So far, we have covered the following in this article series:
In Part 1, we described the traffic automation process, and explained why using an expertly configured WordPress site is the key to automating traffic to your site …
(With an expertly configured WordPress website or blog, all you have to do to bring web traffic is publish new content on a consistent basis!)
In Part Two, we focused on the setup phase. We helped you understand the best way to start if you don’t have a website yet, how to set things up if you already have a site, and what to do if your site has been built with WordPress.
(In Part two we show you where to set up WordPress on your domain)
In Part 3, we look at important configuration decisions. We configured all the settings that affect your website’s traffic-getting ability …
(In Part Three we explain how to configure hosting settings, internal settings, and external settings that affect your website’s traffic-getting ability)
In Part 4, we looked at ways to automate the traffic-getting process with different WordPress plugins.
(Publish once, automate the rest!)
In this section of the WordPress web traffic automation blueprint article series, we discuss ways to optimize traffic generation using different tools and strategies.
WordPress Traffic Blueprint – Systems
In addition to having an expertly configured WordPress site, generating high-quality traffic consistently is achieved by having a clearly-defined business vision, careful digital planning, and great systems in place.
(Automated traffic is the product of a business vision, sound planning, and systems)
Let’s review the systems that will help you grow and manage your traffic.
These systems include:
- Marketing Systems – The processes and strategies used to create traffic for your website.
- Technical Systems – The systems used to keep your online presence operating efficiently for receiving traffic.
- Business Systems – The systems used to manage and respond to traffic.
(Use systems to grow, automate, optimize, and manage your traffic)
Let’s briefly review how important these systems are for optimizing traffic:
Your marketing systems consist of the processes and strategies used to drive traffic to your website. Your marketing systems can be tested by asking questions such as:
- What channels do you plan to use to generate traffic (e.g. blogging, video marketing, etc)?
- What resources and portion of your budget will you apply to these channels?
- Who will create your content, sales funnels, and run your marketing campaigns?
- How will you measure the ROI of your online campaigns?
During the setup and configuration phase, you should have installed an analytics program (e.g. Google Analytics). If you’re just starting out, you may want to consider investing in some paid advertising (e.g. Facebook ads) to help generate some initial intelligence. If you’re tracking your marketing campaigns correctly, this should yield some actionable data, such as the keywords people are searching online to find your website, which you can use to create content better targeted to your audience’s needs.
Your technical systems and processes keep your digital presence up and running for receiving traffic. There’s no point driving traffic to your site if your site is down or your pages take a long time to load.
Your technical systems include handling areas like webhosting, website maintenance and support, installing and updating new software (e.g. plugins), integration, customization, troubleshooting, etc.
You can test your technical systems by questions such as:
- Who is looking after my server?
- Who looks after my website and keeps my site maintained and up-to-date?
- Who will fix errors, troubleshoot problems, provide technical support and advice, etc. should things go wrong?
Many potential problems can be minimized if your website planning and setup and configuration phases have been done correctly. As with all technology, however, you can expect problems. Your technical systems need to be robust enough to handle these.
You need good business systems and processes in place to help you manage and respond to the influx of traffic. This includes:
- Communication systems
- Managing human and financial resources
- Handling leads and sales enquiries
- Order fulfillment
- Customer service/training
If you plan to outsource your digital marketing and technical support, then you will need excellent systems in place to manage all outsourcing processes.
WordPress Web Traffic Automation Blueprint – Traffic Loops
If your business objectives are clear and your systems and processes are in place, all you need to do is focus on how to develop, optimize, and automate your “traffic loop”.
Let’s go through an example of implementing, optimizing, and further automating a traffic loop. Take a look at the chart below …
(Implement, optimize, and automate a traffic loop)
Increase Reach & Visibility
Step 1 of the process is to increase visibility for your business and website.
Useful Tips And Ideas
- Your expertly configured WordPress site will allow you to instantly notify and publicize your content to traffic-getting sources like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. The easiest way to increase your reach and visibility online, therefore, is to simply publish more content on your site.
- As mentioned earlier, investing in some paid advertising can help you generate data, which you can use to create content targeted specifically to your audience’s needs.
- Repurpose your content to leverage the power and reach of different media formats.
- Continue learning about ways to attract more visitors using methods like Facebook advertising, PPC advertising, forum ads, etc.
Plugins, Tools, And Methods
See previous sections of this tutorial series for a number of excellent plugins, tools, and methods we’ve already covered to help you reach more members of your target audience.
Also, if you haven’t already, learn more about plugins that allow you to easily add the following to your site:
- Share your posts online,
- Run contests, offer discounts/downloads for likes/shares,
- Add user generated content, feeds, etc.
- Publish and distribute content online in other media formats (e.g. videos, PDF guides, infographics, etc.)
Build Authority & Credibility
Getting more content out there is good, but to make this more effective, your content also needs to be building authority and credibility with users.
Publishing higher quality content improves your chances of getting more views from social sharing and hence more visitors.
- Create and publish content that adds value to users and that showcases your expertise. This includes content that educates and informs readers, training content, case studies, adding testimonials, etc.
- Consider publishing a “how to” guide that can be sold or distributed online.
Tools & Methods
We have created an entire course on content creation that you can plug into at no cost here:
Also, if you haven’t already, see other posts on this site to learn more about plugins that let you easily add the following to your WordPress site:
- Legal Pages
- Customer Support (e.g. Helpdesk, Live Chat, etc.)
- User Reviews
- Badges/Certificates Of Trust
Grow Influence & Engagement
At some point, you may want to consider developing “traffic on demand.” You can do this by building a list or starting an online group.
With “Traffic On Demand,” most of your traffic comes from customers or subscribers – people who already know you and trust you. Your influence and reputation can be used to generate new traffic with a single post or broadcast.
- Encourage commenting and discussions on your site.
- Add an autoresponder training course and encourage people to subscribe.
- Add a free or paid membership site.
- Start or join a Facebook/LinkedIn Group.
Tools, Plugins, & Strategies
Many solutions and WordPress plugins are available that can help grow your influence and improve engagement. For example:
- Autoresponders (e.g. Aweber, GetResponse, etc.)
- Contact Forms, Live Chat
- Forums & Social Communities (e.g. bbPress, BuddyPress)
- Polls and Surveys
- Webinars (e.g. Webinar JEO)
- Comment sharing
- Add media, image galleries, etc.
Identify Problems And Provide Solutions
By taking advantage of incoming traffic to listen to what users are looking for, you can have an endless funnel of ideas for developing new solutions, all of which provide new opportunities for generating new sources of traffic.
- Consider creating an e-learning program.
- Consider publishing an instructional e-book that you can sell or distribute online (e.g. sell on Amazon.
- Consider adding e-commerce to your business.
Plugins, Tools, & Strategies
If you plan to provide services, products, and solutions online (as opposed to just providing information), see other posts on this site to learn more about plugins that let you easily add the following to your WordPress website:
- Membership Sites (e.g. Wishlist Member, S2 Member, etc.)
- e-Learning Courses (e.g. Courseware)
- Event Registrations (e.g. EventEspresso)
Analyze Data & Feedback
The final step of the process is to collect and analyze data. Gathering and interpreting data from existing traffic gives you the opportunity to discover new opportunities to create content that can generate you additional traffic.
You should already have installed an analytics tool (e.g. Google Analytics) on your site. Make sure you can also understand the data.
WordPress Traffic System – Summary
Once you implement the above strategies, all you have to do is repeat the process over and over again, fine-tuning and refining your methods as you go to grow your traffic and get better your results.
- Begin with an expertly configured WordPress site backed by solid marketing, technical and business systems,
- Implement a content marketing strategy (with some paid advertising to drive initial traffic and generate useful data) to increase your reach and visibility online,
- Add plugins, list-building strategies, and other solutions as required to build authority and credibility, and also to improve engagement with users,
- Promote any new solutions, products or services using your existing channels and strategies to generate additional streams of traffic,
- Analyse your data and your results, automate your processes wherever possible, and begin the cycle again.
Hopefully, now you have a blueprint that will help you drive more traffic automatically to your WordPress website and build a more successful business online.
"Learning WordPress has been a huge stumbling block for me. I've been looking for something that covers absolutely everything but doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Thank you so much ... you have just provided me with what I have been looking for! Truly appreciated!" - Tanya