Welcome to Part 5 of our Web Site Traffic Blueprint article series, where we show you how to grow your business online automatically using WordPress.
So far, here is what we have covered in this series:
In Part 1, we explained why using an expertly configured WordPress site is the key to automating traffic to your website …
(With an expertly configured WordPress site, all you have to do to attract more web traffic is post great content on a consistent basis!)
In Part 2, we look at the setup phase of the automation process. We help you understand the best way to start if you don’t have a website yet, how to set things up if you already have a website, and what to do if your existing site is built with WordPress.
(In Part 2 we show you where to set up a WordPress site on your domain)
In Part 3, we discuss configuring the system. We explained how to configure all the settings (hosting, WordPress and external) that affect your site’s traffic-getting ability …
(In Part 3 you learn how to configure all the settings (hosting, internal and external) that affect your site’s ability to generate traffic automatically)
In Part 4, we showed you how to set up various plugins that can drive visitors automatically to your website or blog just by posting web content.
(Publish content one-time and automate your content distribution to all other channels!)
In Part 5 of the WordPress web traffic automation blueprint series, we look at ways to optimize the traffic-getting process using a number of tools and methods.
WordPress Web Traffic Automation System – Traffic Optimization Systems
In addition to having an expertly configured WordPress website, the key to generating successfully on a consistent basis is having a well-defined business vision, sound digital planning, and great systems in place.
(Automated traffic is the result of having a clear business vision, planning, and excellent systems)
Let’s review briefly the systems that will help you grow and manage your new traffic.
- Marketing Systems – How you create new traffic for your business.
- Technical Systems – The systems and processes used to ensure that your web presence remains up and running for receiving new traffic.
- Business Systems – How you manage and respond to new traffic.
(Systems help you grow, automate, and manage your web traffic)
Let’s review the above systems briefly:
Your marketing systems consist of the processes and methods used to drive new traffic to your website. Your marketing systems can be tested by asking questions such as:
- What is your content marketing/online marketing strategy?
- How will you apportion your marketing budget and resources to these channels?
- How will you create your content and run your marketing campaigns?
- How will you measure the ROI of your online campaigns?
During the setup and configuration phase, you should have installed an analytics program (e.g. Google Analytics). If you’re just starting out, you may want to consider investing in some paid advertising (e.g. pay-per-click ads) to help generate some actionable data, such as the keywords people are searching online to find your website, which you can use to create content targeted specifically to your audience’s needs.
Your technical systems and processes keep your digital presence operating efficiently for receiving traffic. There’s no point sending traffic to your website if your site is constantly down or your pages are taking too long to load.
Your systems include handling technical areas like webhosting, site maintenance and support, installing and updating software (e.g. plugins), integration, customization, troubleshooting, etc.
You can test your technical systems by questions such as:
- Who will look after my server?
- Who looks after my website and keeps my site maintained and up-to-date?
- Who will fix errors, troubleshoot problems, provide technical support and advice, etc. if you experience difficulties?
Many potential problems can be minimized if your website planning and setup and configuration phases have been completed correctly. Like all technology, however, you can expect to face new problems. Your technical systems need to be able to handle these.
You need good operational systems in place to help you manage and respond to new traffic. This includes:
- Communication systems
- Managing human and financial resources
- Handling sales inquiries
- Order fulfillment
- Customer service/training
If you plan to outsource key aspects of your digital marketing and technical support, then make sure you have excellent systems in place for managing all outsourcing.
WordPress Traffic Automation System – Traffic Loops
If your business objectives are clear and your systems and processes are in place, all you need to focus your efforts on is developing a “traffic loop”.
Let’s walk through an example of implementing, optimizing, and automating a traffic loop. Take a look at the illustration below …
Increase Reach & Visibility
The first step of the process is to increase visibility for your website.
- An expertly configured WordPress site allows you to instantly share your content on traffic-getting sources like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc. The easiest way to increase your reach and visibility online, therefore, is to simply publish more content online.
- As mentioned earlier, investing in some paid advertising (e.g. Google AdWords) can help generate actionable data, which you can use to create web content better targeted to your audience.
- Repurpose your content to leverage different media formats.
- Continue learning about ways to increase more web traffic using methods like Twitter ads, videos, Reddit, etc.
Plugins, Tools, And Methods
See earlier sections of this tutorial series for a number of excellent plugins, tools, and methods we’ve already covered to help you reach more members of your target audience.
Also, if you haven’t already, contact us to learn more about plugins that let you easily add the following to your WordPress website:
- Share your comments and posts online,
- Run contests, offer downloads or discounts for shares/likes,
- Display user generated content, feeds, etc.
- Publish and distribute content online in different media formats (e.g. videos, PDF guides, audio, etc.)
Build Authority & Credibility
Getting more content out there is a great first step, but for this activity to be really effective, your content needs to build authority and credibility with your audience.
Publishing higher quality content not only helps to establish your credibility, it also improves your chances of getting more shares and views and hence more traffic.
- Create and publish content that will add value to potential visitors and showcase your expertise. This includes content that educates and informs readers, training content, user reviews, adding testimonials, etc.
- Consider publishing a “how to” guide that you can sell or distribute online.
Tools, Plugins, And Methods
We have created a comprehensive email course on content creation that you can plug into at no cost here:
Also, learn more about plugins that allow you to easily add the following to your website:
- Legal Pages
- Customer Support (e.g. Helpdesk, Live Chat, etc.)
- User Reviews
- Badges/Certificates Of Trust
Grow Influence And Engagement
As your business grows, you may want to consider developing “traffic on tap.” You can do this by growing a list or starting your own community.
With “Traffic On Tap,” your traffic comes from customers or subscribers – people who already like you and trust you. Your influence and reputation can be used to generate traffic with every post you publish, forum post you add, or broadcast you send out.
- Encourage users to leave comments and start discussions on your site.
- Add an autoresponder newsletter and encourage people to subscribe.
- Add a paid or free membership site, online forum, or social community.
- Start or join a Facebook/LinkedIn Group.
Tools, Plugins, And Methods
Many solutions and plugins are available that are easy to implement and can help grow your influence and improve user engagement. For example:
- Autoresponders (e.g. Aweber, GetResponse, etc.)
- Contact Forms, Live Chat
- Forums and Social Communities (e.g. bbPress, BuddyPress)
- Polls & Surveys
- Webinars (e.g. Webinar JEO)
- Comment sharing
- Add media, image galleries, etc.
Identify Problems & Provide Solutions To These
By taking advantage of incoming traffic to find out what users are looking for, you can have an endless funnel of ideas for developing new services, products, and solutions, all of which provide new opportunities to generate additional web traffic.
Useful Tips & Ideas
- Consider creating a free or paid online training course.
- Publish a special report or PDF guide that you can sell or distribute online (e.g. sell on Amazon.
- Add an e-commerce store to your business.
Plugins, Tools, & Methods
If you plan to provide services, products, and solutions online (as opposed to just providing information), then some of the more useful plugins you may want to consider adding to your site include:
- Membership Sites (e.g. Wishlist Member, S2 Member, etc.)
- e-Courses (e.g. Courseware)
- Event Registrations (e.g. EventEspresso)
Analyze Data & Feedback
The final step of the process is the collection and analysis of data. Gathering and interpreting data from existing traffic gives you the opportunity to discover new opportunities to create content that can help you generate additional traffic.
You should already have installed an analytics program like Google Analytics on your site. Make sure you understand the metrics and can interpret the data.
WordPress Web Traffic System – Summary
All you have to do once you implement the above strategies is rinse and repeat, fine-tuning and refining your methods as you go to grow your traffic and improve your results.
- Begin with an expertly configured WordPress site backed by good marketing, technical and business systems,
- Implement a content marketing strategy (consider also investing in some paid advertising to drive initial traffic and generate useful data) to increase your reach and visibility online,
- Add plugins, list-building strategies, and other methods if necessary to help build authority, trust, and credibility, and also to improve engagement with users,
- Promote any new solutions, products or services using your existing channels and strategies to generate additional streams of traffic,
- Analyse your data and your results, automate your processes wherever possible, and begin the cycle again.
Hopefully, this post has given you a blueprint that will help you drive more visitors automatically to your WordPress web site and build a better business online.
"I love the way your email series "Infinite Web Content Creation Training Series" is documented and presented. It is very absorbing and captivating. The links and tutorials are interesting and educational. This has motivated me to rewrite my content following the concepts I am learning from the email series." - Mani Raju, www.fortuneinewaste.com