This blog post is part of a series of articles aimed at helping small business owners succeed online.
For an overview of the article series, see this post:
In this article, you will learn some surprising facts and figures about WordPress that will help you understand why millions of businesses around the world use WordPress to power their business websites and blogs and what kind of businesses use WordPress today.
WordPress: Statistics And Market Share
The short version:
- WordPress started in 2003.
- WordPress is available in two formats: a hosted application (WordPress.com) and as a self-hosted, downloadable application (WordPress.org).
- 23 out of every hundred new domains registered in the U.S. are for installing a new WordPress website.
- There are well over sixty million installations of WordPress worldwide. This number grows every day.
- WordPress powers over 30% of the internet. Over one-third of all websites around the world are powered by WordPress.
- WordPress sites around the world publish an average of 24 posts per second.
- WordPress sites receive over 22 billion monthly pageviews.
- WordPress blogs receive around 50 million comments per month.
- WordPress has been translated into over 70 languages.
- More than 60% of all sites worldwide using a content management system are powered by WordPress.
- Over 37,000,000 searches made each month on Google are for terms related to WordPress.
- The WordPress application is completely free to download, use and modify. The WordPress application is built using an open source content management system.
- WordPress is continually built and improved upon by volunteers. People from all around the world are at work developing and improving the WordPress software on an ongoing basis.
- The WordPress software is regularly updated to address bugs and improve both its ease of use and security.
- WordPress delivers content online to visitors worldwide. WordPress has been translated and localized into over 70 international languages.
- WordPress currently makes available thousands of free plugins, themes, and widgets to WordPress users.
- There is almost no limit to what can be built with WordPress.
WordPress CMS Popularity
A content management system (CMS), is a website maintenance tool for non-technical users. It is designed to make it easier for non-technical website users to add, edit and manage all content on their website.
WordPress started in 2003. It was originally a simple program developed by co-founders Matt Mullenweg and Mike Little. Since then, WordPress has become the largest self-hosted blogging tool in the world, used on millions of sites and accessed by tens of millions of people every day.
WordPress is owned by Automattic.com, which currently employs around 300 people, all of whom work from home. Despite its distributed model and having so few employees, WordPress.com (the hosted version of the software) currently attracts more unique monthly views than Facebook, Amazon, Twitter, eBay, and Yahoo.com …
(WordPress.com monthly uniques. Source: http://automattic.com/about)
Here are just some of the latest figures on WordPress usage:
WordPress is the world’s leading CMS platform and powers over 30% of the web …
(WordPress usage stats. Source: trends.builtwith.com/cms)
In terms of CMS dominance, no other platform even comes close to WordPress …
(WordPress Market Share. Source: w3techs.com)
In fact, more websites are being built on WordPress.
WordPress is so popular, that even trying to keep up with the latest statistics on WordPress is very difficult because the numbers change so often.
For example, at the time this article was published, this is the current number of downloads of the latest WordPress version …
Note: The above download number represents only the latest version of WordPress. Around one third of all current users have not yet updated their sites to the latest version …
(WP versions in current use. Source: https://wordpress.org/about/stats)
Even as this post was being written, the number of downloads has already increased. If you click on the link above and visit the WordPress download counter page, you should expect to see a significantly higher download number … perhaps even a different version, as the WordPress developer community continually updates the software to fix security issues and bugs, and add new or improved features.
Speaking of updates, WordPress has released over one hundred new software updates to date …
(Over 100 new WordPress versions have been released since 2003)
WordPress currently releases a new software update every 3-4 months …
(WordPress regularly releases new version updates named after famous Jazz musicians)
Interestingly enough, all major WordPress version updates are traditionally named in honor of famous Jazz musicians, eg:
- v.1.0 = Miles Davis (January 3, 2004),
- v.2.2 = Stan Getz (May 16, 2007),
- v.3.0 = Thelonious Monk (June 17, 2010),
- v.3.4 = Grant Green (June 13, 2012),
- v.4.1 = Dinah Washington (December 18, 2014),
- etc …
Who Is Using WordPress
In a nutshell, all different types of businesses and people from all walks of life use WordPress to blog about everything and anything.
Global brands, businesses, technology companies, celebrities, politicians, famous actors, universities, government sectors, community organizations – even countries use WordPress to publish web content and run their official websites …
WordPress.org Site Showcase
Here are just some of the many businesses, companies and people who are using WordPress:
- Businesses & Corporations: Google Ventures, Public Storage Canada, Groupe Renault, Groupe Vivendi, Mercedes-Benz, etc …
- Famous People, Politicians, Sports Stars, Artists & Musicians: US Air Force General Chuck Yeager, Ariana Grande, The Meredith Vieira Show, Justin Bieber, Dallas Mavericks, Riverdance, Katie Couric, Gabriel Iglesias, Sylvester Stallone, etc …
- Colleges & Educational Institutions: Georgia State University, International Relations Online at American University, Washington University’s School of Law, Lafayette College, etc.
- Magazines & Media: Fortune, Time.com, InStyle News, CBS New York, etc.
- Government Sites, Not For Profits & Humanitarian Organizations: Smithsonian Institution’s National Museum of African Art, Canadian Museum of History, Slow Food Italia, CURE International, Ovarian Cancer National Alliance, etc.
Earlier, we mentioned that WordPress is available as a hosted application (WordPress.com) and as a self-hosted, downloadable application (WordPress.org).
- Businesses prefer to download the self-hosted version, which can be installed on their own domains and modified to suit their needs. In fact, most WordPress self-hosted installations are business marketing or sales purposes.
- More than half of all WordPress users use the hosted version on WordPress.com
- In 2014, blogs belonging to the WordPress network (blogs hosted either on WordPress.com or externally-hosted WordPress sites) published on average 17 new posts per second (around 1.5 million per day).
WordPress publishes a live map showing user activity across its hosted service …
WordPress.com – Activity Worldwide
In later tutorials, we will compare the differences between WordPress.com (hosted) and WordPress.org (self-hosted) versions.
General WordPress Statistics
WordPress users can download and install over 37,000 WP plugins for free …
(WordPress.org free plugins repository)
For a detailed article about WordPress plugins see this post:
WordPress users can also access over 1,700 free themes from the WordPress free theme repository …
(WordPress.org themes directory)
We have published a detailed article about themes here:
WordPress has been translated and localized into over 70 languages in addition to English …
(WP language translations)
The search term “WordPress” alone receives around 2.7 million searches per month on Google. Including WordPress-related terms (e.g. “WP themes”, “WP plugins”, ”learn WordPress”, etc. brings the total number of online searches for WordPress terms to around 30 million …
(WordPress-related searches online)
If you compare searches for WordPress to other CMS platforms, WordPress is searched online 5 x more than Joomla and nine times more often than Drupal.
According to WordPress’ own “State of the Word” 2014 survey, one quarter of WordPress users who participated in the survey stated that they make a full-time living off the WordPress CMS. An earlier survey conducted by WordPress (2012) also found that the average hourly rate of WordPress projects is around US$50.
You can find WordPress designers and developers for hire at freelancing sites like Upwork.com …
According to Upwork.com, the typical job cost ranges for WordPress are around $10 – $500 …
As you can clearly see from the above statistics, there is no end in sight for how much further WordPress can continue to grow.
In other articles, we will explore the following areas in detail:
- Why WordPress is an ideal platform for growing your business online,
- Dozens of great reasons why you should choose WordPress for your website or blog, including a detailed breakdown of the unique benefits, features, and advantages of using WordPress,
- Ways to automate your business marketing with WordPress,
- How to generate targeted visitors, increase conversions, and how to sell more products and services with WordPress.
- Plus, we’ll be publishing new step-by-step tutorials and examples of how to use WordPress to expand your business online, while also saving thousands of dollars on website development and website design costs.
Subscribe below & receive 101+ useful WordPress tips that will help grow your business online faster ...
The above figures were sourced from various locations around the web, including the following sites:
"These tutorials have so much information and are easy to understand. If you use WordPress or plan to in the future these will help you with everything you need to know." - Valisa (Mesa, Arizona)