Welcome to Part 5 of our Website Traffic Blueprint article series, where we explain how to create an automated traffic generation machine using the WordPress CMS.
So far, we have covered the following in this series:
In Part 1, we explained why using an expertly configured WordPress website is the key to automating traffic to your website …
(With an expertly configured WordPress website, all you have to do is post great content regularly to automatically attract web traffic!)
In Part 2, we discussed critical setup decisions. We helped you understand the best way to get started if you don’t have a web presence yet, how to set things up if you already have a website, and what to do if your site has been built with WordPress.
(In Part two we show you how to set up WordPress on your domain)
In Part Three, we focused on configuring WordPress. We explained how to configure hosting settings, internal settings, and external settings that can affect your site’s ability to generate traffic automatically …
(In Part 3 you will configure all the settings (hosting, WordPress and external) that can affect your website’s traffic-getting ability)
In Part 4, we explained how to set up various WordPress plugins that can help drive new traffic automatically to your site whenever you begin to post new content on a regular basis.
(Publish content one-time, automate the rest!)
In Part Five of the WordPress web traffic automation blueprint series, we look at ways to optimize the traffic-getting process with a number of different tools and methods.
WordPress Traffic Automation System – Traffic Optimization Systems
In addition to having an expertly configured WordPress site, the key to generating quality traffic consistently is having a well-defined business vision, great digital planning, and excellent systems in place.
(Automated traffic is the product of having a clear business vision, planning, and excellent systems)
Let’s review briefly the systems that will help you grow and manage new traffic.
These systems include:
- Marketing Systems – The processes and strategies used to drive traffic to your business.
- Technical Systems – How you keep your online presence optimized for receiving new traffic.
- Business Systems – How you manage and respond to traffic.
(Systems help you grow, automate, and manage your web traffic)
Let’s review the above systems briefly:
Your marketing systems consist of the processes and methods used to create traffic for your website. Your online marketing systems can be tested by asking questions such as:
- What channels will you use to generate new traffic (e.g. blogging, video marketing, etc)?
- What resources and portion of your marketing budget will you allocate to these channels?
- Who will create your content, sales funnels, and run your marketing campaigns?
- How will you track conversions and measure the ROI of your online campaigns?
During the setup and configuration phase, you should have installed an analytics program (e.g. Google Analytics). If you’re just starting out, you may want to consider investing in some paid advertising (e.g. Google AdWords) to help generate some actionable data, such as the keywords people are searching online to find your site, which you can use to create content targeted specifically to your audience.
Your technical systems and processes ensure that your online presence remains optimized for receiving traffic. There’s no point sending traffic to your site if your site is down or your web pages are taking a very long time to load.
Your technical systems need to handle areas like webhosting, website maintenance and support, installing and updating new applications (e.g. plugins), customization, integration, troubleshooting, etc.
You can test your technical systems by questions such as:
- Who looks after my webhosting?
- Who will look after my website and keep my site maintained and up-to-date?
- Who will fix errors, troubleshoot problems, provide technical support and advice, etc. should anything go wrong?
Many potential problems can be minimized if your website planning and setup and configuration phases have been done correctly. Like all technology, however, new problems will arise. Your technical systems need to be able to handle these.
You need good business systems and processes in place to help you manage the influx of traffic. These include:
- Communication systems
- Managing human and financial resources
- Handling leads and sales inquiries
- Order fulfillment
- Customer service/training
If you plan to outsource your digital marketing and technical services, then you will need to put good systems in place for managing all outsourcing processes.
WordPress Traffic Blueprint – Optimizing Traffic Generation
With clear business objectives and great systems in place, all you need to focus on is growing your “traffic loop”.
Let’s go through an example of implementing, optimizing, and further automating a traffic loop. Take a look at the processes illustrated below …
(Implement, automate, and optimize your traffic loop)
Increase Reach And Visibility Online
Step 1 of the process is to expose your business to as many members of your target audience as you can.
Traffic Optimization Tips
- An expertly configured WordPress site allows you to automatically distribute your content to sites like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc. The easiest way to increase your reach and visibility online, therefore, is to simply publish more content through your expertly configured WordPress site.
- As mentioned earlier, investing in some paid advertising (e.g. Facebook ads) can help generate actionable and intelligent data such as the keyword phrases people are searching online to find your site, which you can use to create content better targeted to your audience’s needs.
- Repurpose your content to leverage the power, appeal, and reach of different media formats.
- Continue learning about ways to get more traffic using methods like paid ads, banner ads, joint ventures, etc.
Plugins, Tools, & Methods
We’ve already covered a number of excellent tools, plugins, and methods in earlier sections of this tutorial series.
Also, ask us about WordPress plugins that allow you to easily add the following to your website or blog:
- Share your comments and posts online,
- Run contests, offer downloads or discounts for likes/shares,
- Add user generated content, feeds, etc.
- Distribute content online in different media formats (e.g. videos, PDF guides, slides, etc.)
Build Authority And Credibility
Getting more content published is a great first step, but for this activity to be really effective, your content also needs to be building authority and credibility with users.
Publishing better quality content improves your chances of getting more shares and views and hence more traffic.
Useful Tips & Ideas
- Focus on content that adds value to potential users and that showcases your expertise. This includes content that educates and informs readers, training content, case studies, adding testimonials, etc.
- Consider publishing educational guides that you can sell or distribute online (e.g. sell on Clickbank.
Plugins, Tools, And Methods
We have created a complete email series designed to help you come up with unlimited content ideas for posting to your website or blog:
Also, ask us about WordPress plugins that allow you to easily add the following to your site:
- Legal Pages
- Customer Support (e.g. Helpdesk, Live Chat, etc.)
- User Reviews
- Badges/Certificates Of Recognition
Grow Influence And Engagement
At some point, you may want to consider developing “traffic on demand.” You can do this by building a list or starting a network.
With “Traffic On Tap,” most of your traffic comes from an audience of existing customers or subscribers – people who already like you and trust you. Your influence and reputation can be used to generate new traffic with every blog post you publish or broadcast you send out.
- Encourage commenting and discussions on your site.
- Add an autoresponder training course and encourage people to subscribe.
- Add a free or paid membership site.
- Start or join a Facebook/LinkedIn Group.
Tools, Plugins, And Strategies
Many solutions and plugins are available that can help increase your influence and improve engagement. For example:
- Autoresponders/Email Newsletters (e.g. Aweber, GetResponse, etc.)
- Contact Forms, Live Chat
- Forums and Social Communities (e.g. bbPress, BuddyPress)
- Polls & Surveys
- Webinars (e.g. Webinar JEO)
- Comment sharing
- Add media, image galleries, etc.
Identify Needs/Problems & Provide Solutions
By taking advantage of incoming traffic to listen to what problems your visitors are trying to solve, you should have no problem developing new products, services, and solutions, all of which can provide you with new opportunities to generate new streams of traffic.
- Consider creating a free or paid online training course.
- Consider publishing expert guides that can be sold or distributed online.
- Add an e-commerce store to your business.
Tools And Strategies
If you plan to provide services, products, and solutions online (as opposed to just providing information), ask us about plugins that allow you to easily add the following to your site:
- Membership Sites (e.g. Wishlist Member, S2 Member, etc.)
- Learning Management Systems (e.g. Courseware)
- Event Registrations (e.g. EventEspresso)
Analyze Data & Feedback
The final step of the process is the collection and analysis of data. Gathering and interpreting data from existing traffic allows you to discover new traffic opportunities.
You should already have installed an analytics program (e.g. Google Analytics) on your site. Make sure you also learn how to interpret the data.
WordPress Web Traffic System – Summary
Once you implement the above strategies, all you have to do is repeat the same process, fine-tuning and refining your methods as you go to grow your traffic and get better your results.
- Start with an expertly configured WordPress site backed by good marketing, technical and business systems,
- Implement a content marketing strategy (consider adding some paid advertising to drive traffic and generate useful data) to increase your reach and visibility online,
- Add plugins, list-building strategies, and other solutions as needed to build authority and credibility, and also to improve engagement with users,
- Promote any new solutions, products or services using your existing channels and strategies to generate additional streams of traffic,
- Analyse your data and your results, automate your processes wherever possible, and begin the cycle again.
Hopefully, now you have a blueprint that will help you automate and optimize the process of driving visitors to your web site and build a better business online.
"Wow! I never knew there's so much to learn about WordPress! I bought one of the WordPress for Dummies three years ago, such authors need to be on this course!" - Rich Law, Create A Blog Now