Welcome to Part 5 of our Web Site Traffic Blueprint article series, where we explain how to create an automated traffic generation machine using the WordPress CMS.
So far, we have covered the following in this series:
In Part 1 of this article series, we explained why using an expertly configured WordPress website or blog is the key to automating traffic to your site …
(With an expertly configured WordPress web site, all you have to do is post new content on a regular basis to start attracting web traffic!)
In Part 2, we looked at the setup phase. We helped you understand the best way to get started if you don’t have a web presence yet, how to set everything up if you already have a website, and what to do if your site has been built with WordPress.
(In Part 2 we show you how to set up WordPress on your domain)
In Part Three, we looked at the configuration phase. We explained how to configure all the settings that affect your site’s ability to generate traffic automatically …
(In Part Three you will configure all the settings that can affect your website’s ability to generate traffic automatically)
In Part Four, we showed you how to set up various WordPress plugins that can bring traffic automatically to your site just by posting new content on a regular basis.
(Publish once to WordPress and automate your content distribution to all other services!)
In Part 5 of the WordPress web traffic automation blueprint series, we look at ways to optimize traffic generation using a number of tools and strategies.
WordPress Web Traffic Blueprint – Systems
In addition to getting your WordPress site expertly configured, generating consistent traffic of high quality is achieved by having a clear business vision, sound digital planning, and good systems in place.
(Generating automated traffic is the product of having a clear business vision, planning, and systems)
Let’s review briefly the systems that will help you grow and manage your new traffic.
- Marketing Systems – How you drive new traffic to your business.
- Technical Systems – How you keep your online presence up and running for receiving new traffic.
- Business Systems – The systems used to manage and respond to new traffic.
(Systems help you grow, automate, and manage your web traffic)
Let’s briefly review how important these systems are for optimizing traffic:
Your marketing systems consist of the processes and methods used to drive new traffic to your website. Your marketing systems can be tested by asking questions such as:
- What channels will you use to generate new traffic (e.g. blogging, PPC advertising, video marketing, etc)?
- What resources and portion of your budget will you allocate to these channels?
- Who will create and optimize your content, sales funnels, and run your marketing campaigns?
- How will you track conversions and measure the ROI of your marketing campaigns?
During the setup and configuration phase, you would have installed an analytics program (e.g. Google Analytics). If you’re just starting out, you may want to consider investing in some paid advertising (e.g. pay-per-click ads) to help generate some data, such as the keywords people are searching online to find your website, which you can use to create content targeted specifically to your audience’s needs.
Your technical systems keep your online presence up and running for receiving new traffic. There’s no point driving traffic to your website if your site is constantly down or your web pages are taking a long time to load.
Your systems include handling areas like webhosting, website maintenance and support, installing, configuring, and updating new software (e.g. plugins), integration, customization, troubleshooting, etc.
Your technical systems can be tested by asking questions such as:
- Who looks after my webhosting?
- Who looks after my website and keeps my site, plugins, themes, etc. maintained and up-to-date?
- Who will fix errors, troubleshoot problems, provide technical support and advice, etc. should issues arise?
Many potential problems can be minimized if your website planning and setup and configuration phases have been done correctly. Like all technology, however, you should expect new problems to arise. Your technical systems need to be robust enough to handle these.
You need good operational systems and processes to help you manage traffic. These include:
- Communication systems
- Managing human and financial resources
- Handling sales inquiries
- Order fulfillment
- Customer training/service
If you plan to outsource your digital marketing and technical support, then make sure you have good systems in place for managing all outsourcing.
WordPress Traffic System – Optimizing Traffic Generation
With clear business objectives and great systems in place, all you need to focus on is how to develop a “traffic loop”.
Let’s walk through an example of implementing, optimizing, and further automating a traffic loop. Take a look at the processes illustrated below …
(WordPress can help you implement, automate, and optimize your traffic loop)
Increase Reach & Visibility
Step 1 of the process is to increase visibility for your website.
- Your expertly configured WordPress site will allow you to instantly notify and publicize your content to social media accounts like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. The easiest way to increase your reach and visibility online, therefore, is to simply publish more content through your expertly configured WordPress site.
- As mentioned earlier, investing in some paid advertising (e.g. Google AdWords) can help you generate some initial data, which you can use to create web content better targeted to your audience.
- Repurpose your content to leverage the power, appeal, and reach of different media formats.
- Continue learning about ways to bring more website visitors using methods like Pinterest, banner ads, cross promotions, etc.
Plugins, Tools, & Strategies
See previous sections of this tutorial series for a number of useful tools and methods we’ve already covered to help you reach more potential users.
Also, if you haven’t already, contact us to learn more about plugins that let you easily add the following to your WordPress website or blog:
- Share your comments and posts online with others,
- Run contests, offer downloads or discounts for likes/shares,
- Accept user generated content, feeds, etc.
- Publish and distribute content online in different media formats (e.g. videos, PDF guides, infographics, etc.)
Build Authority & Credibility
Getting more of your content out there is a great first step, but for this activity to be really effective, your content also needs to be building authority and credibility with users.
Publishing better quality content not only helps to establish your credibility, it also improves your chances of getting it shared around and hence more traffic.
- Focus on content that will add value to your audience and showcase your expertise. This includes content that informs and educates readers, training content, case studies, adding testimonials, etc.
- Consider publishing instructional PDF guides or special reports that can be sold or distributed online.
Tools & Strategies
We have created an entire email series aimed at helping you never run out of content ideas for your website or blog:
Also, ask us about plugins that let you easily add the following to your site:
- Legal Pages
- Customer Support (e.g. Helpdesk, Live Chat, etc.)
- User Reviews
- Badges/Certificates Of Trust
Grow Influence & Engagement
As your business grows, you may want to consider developing “traffic on tap.” You can do this by building a list or starting an online forum, membership site, or even your own social site.
With “Traffic On Tap,” your traffic will come from an audience of customers or subscribers – people who already know you and trust you. Your influence and credibility can be used to generate new traffic with a single post or email broadcast.
Traffic Optimization Tips
- Encourage commenting and discussions on your site.
- Add an email newsletter and encourage people to subscribe.
- Add a paid, free, or ‘freemium’ membership site, online forum, or social community.
- Start or join an online group on LinkedIn/Facebook.
Plugins, Tools, And Strategies
There are many solutions and plugins that can help increase your online influence and improve engagement. For example:
- Autoresponders/Email Newsletters (e.g. Aweber, MailChimp, etc.)
- Contact Forms, Live Chat
- Forums and Discussion Groups (e.g. bbPress, BuddyPress)
- Polls and Surveys
- Webinars (e.g. Webinar JEO)
- Comment sharing
- Add media, image galleries, etc.
Identify Needs/Problems And Provide Solutions To These
If you take advantage of incoming traffic to listen to what problems your visitors are trying to solve, you can develop new products, services, and solutions, all of which can provide you with new opportunities to generate new streams of web traffic.
Traffic Optimization Tips
- Create an e-learning course.
- Publish PDF guides that you can sell or distribute online (e.g. sell on on the Amazon Kindle store.
- Consider adding an e-commerce store to your site.
Tools & Methods
If you plan to provide products and services online (as opposed to just providing information), contact us to learn more about WordPress plugins that let you easily add the following to your site:
- Membership Site plugins (e.g. Wishlist Member, S2 Member, etc.)
- Learning Management Systems (e.g. Courseware)
- Event Registrations (e.g. EventEspresso)
Analyze Data & Feedback
The final step of the process is to collect and analyze data. By learning to interpret data gathered from existing traffic, you can discover new ways to generate content that can bring you additional traffic.
Hopefully, by now you have already installed an analytics program like Google Analytics on your website. Make sure you can also understand the data.
WordPress Web Traffic Blueprint – Summary
Once you implement the above strategies, all you have to do is repeat the process over and over again, fine-tuning and refining your methods as you go to grow your traffic and improve your results.
- Begin with an expertly configured WordPress site backed by solid marketing, technical and business systems,
- Implement a content marketing strategy (with some paid advertising to drive traffic and generate useful data) to increase your reach and visibility online,
- Add plugins, list-building strategies, and other solutions if required to help build authority and credibility, and also to improve engagement with visitors,
- Promote any new solutions, products or services using your existing channels and strategies to generate additional streams of traffic,
- Analyse your data and your results, automate your processes wherever possible, and begin the cycle again.
Hopefully, this information has given you a blueprint that will help you automate and optimize the process of driving visitors to your website and build a better business online.
"Wow! I never knew there's so much to learn about WordPress! I bought one of the WordPress for Dummies three years ago, such authors need to be on this course!" - Rich Law, Create A Blog Now