Welcome to Part Five of our Web Traffic Blueprint article series, where we show you how to drive visitors automatically to your site using the WordPress CMS platform.
So far, here is what we have covered in this series:
In Part 1 of this article series, we described the traffic automation process, and explained why using an expertly configured WordPress site is the key to automating traffic to your website …
(With an expertly configured WordPress blog, all you have to do to automatically generate traffic is add fresh content regularly!)
In Part 2, we focus on the setup phase. We explain the best way to get started if you don’t have a website yet, how to set everything up if you already have a website, and what to do if your website is built with WordPress.
(In Part 2 we show you how to set up WordPress on your domain)
In Part 3, we looked at important configuration decisions. We explained how to configure all the settings that affect your site’s ability to generate traffic automatically …
(In Part 3 you learn how to configure hosting settings, WordPress settings, and external settings that affect your site’s traffic-getting ability)
In Part 4, we showed you how to set up various WordPress plugins that can get new traffic automatically to your website just by posting web content consistently.
(Publish once, automate the rest!)
In this section of the WordPress web traffic automation blueprint series, we look at ways to optimize the traffic system with a number of different tools and strategies.
WordPress Traffic System – Traffic Optimization Systems
In addition to having an expertly configured WordPress site, generating high-quality traffic on a consistent basis is the result of having a clear business vision, sound digital planning, and great systems in place.
(Generating automated traffic is the product of a business vision, planning, and excellent systems)
Let’s review briefly the systems that will help you grow and manage your new traffic.
These systems include:
- Marketing Systems – How you drive traffic to your website.
- Technical Systems – How you keep your digital presence up and running for receiving new traffic.
- Business Systems – How you manage and respond to traffic.
(Systems help you grow and manage your traffic)
Let’s review the above systems briefly:
Your marketing systems consist of the processes and methods used to create new traffic for your business. Your marketing systems can be tested by asking questions such as:
- What channels will you use to drive new traffic (e.g. blogging, facebook advertising, video marketing, etc)?
- What resources and portion of your budget will you allocate to these marketing channels?
- How will you create and optimize your content and run your marketing campaigns?
- How will you track conversions and measure the cost-effectiveness of your campaigns?
During the setup and configuration phase, you should have installed an analytics program (e.g. Google Analytics). If you’re just starting out, you may want to consider investing in some paid advertising (e.g. Google AdWords) to help generate some results. If you’re tracking your marketing campaigns correctly, this should yield some actionable data, such as the keyword phrases people are searching online to find your website, which you can use to create web content better targeted to your audience’s needs.
Your technical systems and processes ensure that your web presence remains operating efficiently for receiving traffic. There’s no point driving traffic to your website if your site is experiencing problems or your pages take a very long time to load.
Your technical systems need to handle areas like webhosting, site maintenance and support, installing, configuring, and updating new software (e.g. plugins), customization, integration, troubleshooting, etc.
You can test your technical systems by questions such as:
- Who is looking after my server?
- Who is looking after my website and keeping my site maintained and up-to-date?
- Who will fix errors, troubleshoot problems, provide technical support and advice, etc. should any issues occur?
Many potential problems can be minimized if your website planning and setup and configuration phases have been completed correctly. As with all technology, however, new problems will arise. You will need the right technical systems in place to handle these.
Your business systems and processes help you manage and respond to traffic. This includes:
- Communication systems
- Managing human and financial resources
- Handling sales inquiries
- Order fulfillment
- Customer training/service
If you plan to outsource your digital marketing and technical support, then make sure you have good systems in place for managing all outsourcing processes.
WordPress Web Traffic Automation System – Optimizing Traffic Generation
With clear business objectives and great systems in place, all you need to focus your efforts on is implementing a “traffic loop”.
Let’s go through an example of how to implement, optimize, and further automate a traffic loop. Take a look at the processes illustrated below …
(Implementing an effective traffic loop)
Increase Reach And Visibility Online
Step 1 of the process is to get your business exposed to as many potential users as your resources allow.
- An expertly configured WordPress site allows you to automatically publish your content on places like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. The easiest way to increase your reach and visibility online, therefore, is to simply publish more content through your expertly configured WordPress site.
- As mentioned earlier, investing in some paid advertising can help generate some initial actionable data such as the keyword phrases people are searching online to find your website, which you can use to create content targeted specifically to your audience’s needs.
- Repurpose your content to leverage the power and reach of different media formats.
- Continue learning about ways to bring more traffic using methods like Facebook ads, PPC advertising, Reddit, etc.
Tools, Plugins, & Strategies
See previous sections of this tutorial series for many useful plugins, tools, and strategies we’ve already covered to help you reach more members of your target audience.
Also, learn more about plugins that let you easily add the following to your WordPress website or blog:
- Share your comments and posts online,
- Run contests, offer discounts or downloads for shares/likes,
- Accept user generated content, feeds, etc.
- Distribute content online in different media formats (e.g. videos, PDF guides, infographics, etc.)
Build Authority & Credibility
Getting more content out there is a great first step, but for this activity to be really effective, your content needs to build authority and credibility with users.
Publishing better quality content improves your chances of getting more people to share it with others and hence more visitors.
Useful Tips & Ideas
- Focus on content that will add value to users and showcase your expertise. This includes content that informs and educates readers, training content, user reviews, adding testimonials, etc.
- Consider publishing an instructional e-book that can be sold or distributed online (e.g. sell on Amazon.
Tools & Strategies
We have created an entire email series designed to help you never run out of content for posting to your website or blog:
Also, if you haven’t already, see other posts on this site to learn more about plugins that let you easily add the following to your site:
- Legal Pages
- Customer Support (e.g. Helpdesk, Live Chat, etc.)
- User Reviews
- Badges/Certificates Of Trust
Grow Influence And Engagement
As your business grows, you may want to consider developing “traffic on demand.” You can achieve this by building a list or starting a community.
With “Traffic On Tap,” all of your traffic comes from customers or subscribers – people who already like you and trust you. Your influence and reputation can be used to generate new traffic with a single blog post or broadcast.
- Encourage visitors to leave comments and start discussions on your site.
- Add an autoresponder training course and encourage people to subscribe.
- Add a free or paid membership site.
- Create or join a Facebook/LinkedIn Group.
Plugins, Tools, & Strategies
Many solutions and WordPress plugins are available that are easy to implement and can help increase your online influence and improve engagement. For example:
- List-Building Tools (e.g. Aweber, GetResponse, etc.)
- Contact Forms, Live Chat
- Forums and Social Communities (e.g. bbPress, BuddyPress)
- Polls & Surveys
- Webinars (e.g. Webinar JEO)
- Comment sharing
- Add media, image galleries, etc.
Identify Needs/Problems And Provide Solutions
By taking advantage of incoming traffic to listen to what your visitors are looking for, you can develop new services and products, all of which can provide you with new opportunities for generating new sources of web traffic.
- Consider creating an e-learning course.
- Consider publishing an instructional e-book that you can sell or distribute online.
- Add e-commerce to your site.
Tools And Methods
If you plan to provide products, services, and solutions online (as opposed to just providing information), then some of the more useful WordPress plugins you may want to consider adding to your website or blog include:
- Membership Site plugins (e.g. Wishlist Member, S2 Member, etc.)
- e-Learning Courses (e.g. Courseware)
- Event Registrations (e.g. EventEspresso)
Analyze Data & Feedback
The final step of the process is to collect and analyze data. By learning to interpret data gathered from existing traffic, you can discover new opportunities to create additional traffic.
You should have already installed an analytics tool (e.g. Google Analytics) on your website. Make sure you can also understand the data.
WordPress Web Traffic System – Summary
All you have to do once you implement the above strategies is repeat the process over and over again, fine-tuning and refining your methods as you go to grow your traffic and improve your results.
- Start with an expertly configured WordPress site backed by solid marketing, technical and business systems,
- Implement a content marketing strategy (consider also investing in some paid advertising to drive initial traffic and generate useful data) to increase your reach and visibility online,
- Add plugins, list-building strategies, and other methods as needed to build authority, trust, and credibility, and also to increase engagement with users,
- Promote any new solutions, products or services using your existing channels and strategies to generate additional streams of traffic,
- Analyse your data and your results, automate your processes wherever possible, and begin the cycle again.
Hopefully, this article has given you a blueprint that will help you automate and optimize the process of driving visitors to your WordPress web site and build a better business online.
"Your training is the best in the world! It is simple, yet detailed, direct, understandable, memorable, and complete." Andrea Adams, FinancialJourney.org