Welcome to Part 5 of our Web Traffic Blueprint article series, where we show you how to create an automated traffic machine using WordPress.
So far, here is what we have covered in this article series:
In Part 1, we provided an overview of the traffic automation process, and explained why using an expertly configured WordPress website is the key to automating traffic to your website …
(With an expertly configured WordPress website or blog, all you have to do is add fresh content regularly to automatically generate more traffic!)
In Part Two, we looked at the setup phase of this system. We helped you understand the best way to get started if you don’t have a website yet, how to set everything up if you already have a site, and what to do if your website was built with WordPress.
(In Part two we show you where to set up WordPress on your domain)
In Part Three, we discuss the configuration phase of the blueprint. We configured all the settings that can affect your site’s traffic-getting ability …
(In Part 3 you learn how to configure hosting settings, internal settings, and external settings that affect your website’s traffic-getting ability)
In Part Four, we looked at ways to automate the traffic system using plugins.
(Publish once, automate the rest!)
In Part 5 of the WordPress web traffic automation blueprint article series, we look at ways to optimize traffic generation using a number of tools and methods.
WordPress Traffic Automation System – Traffic Optimization Systems
In addition to getting your WordPress site expertly configured, the key to generating successfully on a consistent basis is having a clearly-defined business vision, sound digital planning, and excellent systems and process in place.
(Consistent traffic is the product of having a clear business vision, sound planning, and systems)
Let’s review the systems that will help you grow and manage your new traffic.
- Marketing Systems – The processes and strategies used to drive traffic to your website.
- Technical Systems – The systems and processes used to ensure that your digital presence remains up and running for receiving traffic.
- Business Systems – The systems and processes used to manage and respond to new traffic.
(Systems help you grow and manage your traffic)
Let’s briefly review the importance of the above systems:
Your marketing systems consist of the processes and methods used to drive new traffic to your business. Your online marketing systems can be tested by asking questions such as:
- What channels will you use to drive traffic (e.g. blogging, video marketing, etc)?
- What resources and portion of your marketing budget will you allocate to these channels?
- How will you create your content and run your marketing campaigns?
- How will you track conversions and measure the results of your marketing campaigns?
During the setup and configuration phase, you should have installed an analytics program (e.g. Google Analytics). If you’re just starting out, you may want to consider investing in some paid advertising (e.g. Google AdWords) to help you generate some initial data, such as the keywords people are searching online to find your site, which you can use to create content targeted specifically to your audience.
Your technical systems ensure that your digital presence remains optimized for receiving traffic. There’s no point sending traffic to your site if your site is down or your pages are taking too long to load.
Your technical systems include handling technical areas like webhosting, website maintenance and support, installing and updating new applications (e.g. plugins), integration, customization, troubleshooting, etc.
Your technical systems can be tested by asking questions such as:
- Who looks after my server?
- Who looks after my website and keeps my site, plugins, themes, etc. maintained and up-to-date?
- Who will fix errors, troubleshoot problems, provide technical support and advice, etc. should problems arise?
Many potential issues can be minimized if your website planning and setup and configuration phases have been completed correctly. As with all technology, however, new problems will always arise. Your technical systems need to be able to handle these.
You need good business systems in place to help you manage and respond to the influx of new traffic. This includes:
- Communication systems
- Managing human and financial resources
- Handling sales inquiries
- Order fulfillment
- Customer service/training
If you plan to outsource your digital marketing and technical support, then make sure you have systems in place for managing all outsourcing processes.
WordPress Web Traffic System – Traffic Optimization Strategies
If your business objectives are clear and your systems and processes are in place, all you need to do is to grow and optimize your “traffic loop”.
Let’s walk through an example of how to implement, optimize, and automate a traffic loop. Take a look at the chart below …
(Implement and optimize a traffic loop)
Increase Reach & Visibility Online
Step 1 of the process is to get your business exposed to as many potential users as your time and resources will allow.
- An expertly configured WordPress site allows you to automatically publish your content on places like Facebook, Twitter, GooglePlus, etc. The easiest way to increase your reach and visibility online, therefore, is to simply publish more content online.
- As mentioned earlier, investing in some paid advertising can help generate actionable data, which you can use to create content better targeted to your audience.
- Repurpose your content to leverage the power, appeal, and reach of different media formats.
- Continue learning about ways to get visitors using methods like LinkedIn advertising, YouTube, forum signatures, etc.
Tools, Plugins, & Strategies
We’ve already covered a number of excellent tools and methods in previous sections of this article series.
Also, contact us to learn more about plugins that let you easily add the following to your website or blog:
- Share your posts online with others,
- Run contests, offer discounts/downloads for likes/shares,
- Add user generated content, feeds, etc.
- Distribute content online in different media formats (e.g. videos, PDF guides, audio, etc.)
Build Authority & Credibility
Getting more of your content out there is a great first step, but to make this activity more effective, your content also needs to build authority and credibility with users.
Publishing higher quality content improves your chances of getting more shares and views and hence more visitors.
Traffic Optimization Ideas
- Focus on creating content that adds value to potential users and that showcases your expertise. This includes content that informs and educates readers, training content, case studies, adding testimonials, etc.
- Consider publishing expert guides that you can sell or distribute online.
Tools And Strategies
We have created a complete email training series designed to help you never run out of great content for posting to your web site:
Also, learn more about plugins that let you easily add the following to your site:
- Legal Pages
- Customer Support (e.g. Helpdesk, Live Chat, etc.)
- User Reviews
- Badges/Certificates Of Trust
Grow Influence And Engagement
At some point, you may want to consider developing “traffic on demand.” You can achieve this by building a list or starting a community.
With “Traffic On Tap,” all of your traffic comes from an audience of existing customers or subscribers – people who already like you and trust you. Your influence and credibility can be used to generate traffic with every post you publish or email broadcast you send out.
Traffic Optimization Tips
- Encourage commenting and discussions on your site.
- Add an autoresponder training course and encourage people to subscribe.
- Add a free, paid, or ‘freemium’ membership site, online forum, or social community.
- Create or join a Facebook/LinkedIn Group.
Tools & Methods
There are many solutions and WordPress plugins that are easy to implement and can help increase your influence and improve engagement. For example:
- Autoresponders (e.g. Aweber, GetResponse, etc.)
- Contact Forms, Live Chat
- Forums & Social Communities (e.g. bbPress, BuddyPress)
- Polls & Surveys
- Webinars (e.g. Webinar JEO)
- Comment sharing
- Add media, video galleries, etc.
Identify Needs And Provide Solutions To These
By taking advantage of incoming traffic to find out what users are looking for, you should have no problem developing new products, services, and solutions, all of which provide new opportunities for generating new streams of web traffic.
Useful Tips And Ideas
- Consider creating an online training program.
- Publish an instructional e-book that can be sold or distributed online.
- Consider adding an e-commerce store to your site.
Tools & Methods
If you plan to provide products and services online (as opposed to just providing information), ask us about WordPress plugins that allow you to easily add the following to your site:
- Membership Site plugins (e.g. Wishlist Member, S2 Member, etc.)
- e-Courses (e.g. Courseware)
- Event Registrations (e.g. EventEspresso)
Analyze Data & Feedback
The final step of the process is the collection and analysis of data. By learning to interpret data gathered from existing traffic, you can discover new traffic opportunities.
You should already have installed an analytics tool like Google Analytics on your site. Make sure you also learn how to interpret the data.
WordPress Traffic Automation System – Summary
All you have to do once you implement the above strategies is repeat the cycle, fine-tuning and refining your methods as you go to grow your traffic and improve your results.
- Begin with an expertly configured WordPress site backed by good marketing, technical and business systems,
- Implement a content marketing strategy (consider also investing in some paid advertising to drive traffic and generate useful data) to increase your reach and visibility online,
- Add plugins, list-building strategies, and other solutions as necessary to help build authority, trust, and credibility, and also to improve engagement with visitors,
- Promote any new solutions, products or services using your existing channels and strategies to generate additional streams of traffic,
- Analyse your data and your results, automate your processes wherever possible, and begin the cycle again.
Hopefully, this article has given you a blueprint that will help you automate and optimize the process of driving visitors to your WordPress website and get better results online.
"I love the way your email series "Infinite Web Content Creation Training Series" is documented and presented. It is very absorbing and captivating. The links and tutorials are interesting and educational. This has motivated me to rewrite my content following the concepts I am learning from the email series." - Mani Raju, www.fortuneinewaste.com