Welcome to Part Five of our Web Traffic Blueprint article series, where we explain how to create an automated web traffic machine using the WordPress CMS.
So far, here is what we have covered in this series:
In Part 1, we described the traffic automation process, and explained why using an expertly configured WordPress site is the key to automating traffic to your site …
(With an expertly configured WordPress blog, all you have to do is post web content on a consistent basis to begin bringing new web traffic!)
In Part 2, we discuss the setup phase of the traffic automation process. We help you understand the best way to start if you don’t have a website yet, how to set everything up if you already have a site, and what to do if your existing website has been built with WordPress.
(In Part 2 we show you where to set up a WordPress web site on your domain)
In Part 3, we focus on the configuration phase. We explained how to configure all the settings that can affect your site’s traffic-getting ability …
(In Part 3 we explain how to configure all the settings (hosting, WordPress and external) that affect your website’s traffic-getting ability)
In Part Four, we discussed ways to automate traffic to your website using a number of plugins.
(Publish once to WordPress and automate your content distribution to all other channels!)
In this article, we discuss ways to optimize traffic to your website using various tools and methods.
WordPress Web Traffic Automation System – Systems
In addition to having an expertly configured WordPress website, the key to generating successfully on a consistent basis is having a clear business vision, great digital planning, and good systems in place.
(Automating traffic is the product of a business vision, planning, and systems)
Let’s briefly review the systems that will help you grow and manage new traffic.
- Marketing Systems – How you drive traffic to your website.
- Technical Systems – The systems and processes used to keep your online presence operating efficiently for receiving new traffic.
- Business Systems – The systems and processes used to manage and respond to traffic.
(Use systems to grow, automate, optimize, and manage your traffic)
Let’s briefly review how important the above systems are for optimizing traffic:
Your marketing systems consist of the processes and methods used to drive new traffic to your business. Your marketing systems can be tested by asking questions such as:
- What is your content marketing/online marketing strategy?
- What resources and portion of your budget will you allocate to these channels?
- Who will create and optimize your content, sales funnels, and run your marketing campaigns?
- How will you measure the results of your online campaigns?
During the setup and configuration phase, you should have installed an analytics program (e.g. Google Analytics). If you’re just starting out, you may want to consider investing in some paid advertising to help you generate some initial data, such as the keyword phrases people are searching online to find your website, which you can use to create content better targeted to your audience’s needs.
Your technical systems ensure that your online presence remains operating efficiently for receiving new traffic. There’s no point driving traffic to your website if your site is experiencing problems or your web pages take too long to load.
Your technical systems need to be able to adequately handle areas like webhosting, site maintenance and support, installing and updating software (e.g. plugins), customization, integration, troubleshooting, etc.
You can test your technical systems by questions such as:
- Who is looking after my server?
- Who is looking after my website and keeping my site maintained and up-to-date?
- Who will fix errors, troubleshoot problems, provide technical support and advice, etc. should things go wrong?
Many potential problems can be minimized if your website planning and setup and configuration phases have been done correctly. Like all technology, however, you can expect problems. You will need the right technical systems in place to handle these.
You need good operational systems and processes in place to help you manage new traffic. This includes:
- Communication systems
- Resources management – human, financial
- Handling sales enquiries
- Order fulfillment
- Customer service/training
If you plan to outsource areas of your digital marketing and technical maintenance, then you will need to put systems in place for managing all outsourcing.
WordPress Web Traffic Automation System – Traffic Optimization
If your business objectives are clear and your systems and processes are in place, all you need to do is to develop and optimize your “traffic loop”.
Let’s go through an example of how to implement, optimize, and automate a traffic loop. Take a look at the chart below …
Increase Reach & Visibility Online
The first step of the process is to get your business exposed to as many potential users as your time and resources will allow.
Useful Tips And Ideas
- An expertly configured WordPress site allows you to automatically syndicate your content to sites like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. The easiest way to increase your reach and visibility online, therefore, is to simply publish more content online.
- As mentioned earlier, investing in some paid advertising (e.g. pay-per-click ads) can help generate actionable and intelligent data, which you can use to create content better targeted to your audience’s needs.
- Repurpose your content to leverage the power and reach of different media formats.
- Continue learning about ways to bring more website traffic using methods like paid advertising, videos, joint ventures, etc.
Plugins, Tools, And Methods
We’ve already covered many useful tools, plugins, and strategies in earlier sections of this tutorial series.
Also, ask us about plugins that allow you to easily add the following to your site:
- Share your posts online with others,
- Run contests, offer discounts/downloads for likes/shares,
- Accept user generated content, feeds, etc.
- Publish and distribute content online in different media formats (e.g. videos, PDF guides, audio, etc.)
Build Authority & Credibility
Getting more of your content published is a great first step, but to make this more effective, your content needs to be building authority and credibility with your audience.
Publishing authoritative content not only helps to establish your credibility, it also improves your chances of getting it shared around and viewed by more people and hence more visitors.
- Create and publish content that adds value to potential users and that showcases your expertise. This includes content that informs and educates readers, training content, case studies, adding testimonials, etc.
- Consider publishing an instructional e-book that can be sold or distributed online.
Tools And Methods
We have created a detailed course on content creation that you can plug into for free here:
Also, learn more about WordPress plugins that let you easily add the following to your website:
- Legal Pages
- Customer Support (e.g. Helpdesk, Live Chat, etc.)
- User Reviews
- Badges/Certificates Of Recognition
Grow Influence & Engagement
As your business grows, you may want to consider developing “traffic on tap.” You can achieve this by building a list or starting your own online community or social network.
With “Traffic On Demand,” all of your traffic comes from customers or subscribers – people who already like you and trust you. Your influence and credibility can be used to generate new traffic with every blog post you publish or broadcast you send out.
Traffic Optimization Ideas
- Encourage visitors to leave comments and start discussions on your site.
- Add an autoresponder training course and encourage people to subscribe.
- Add a paid or free membership site.
- Create or join an online group on LinkedIn.
Tools, Plugins, & Methods
Many solutions and WordPress plugins are available that can help increase your online influence and improve engagement. For example:
- Autoresponders/Email Newsletters (e.g. Aweber, GetResponse, etc.)
- Contact Forms, Live Chat
- Forums and Social Communities (e.g. bbPress, BuddyPress)
- Polls and Surveys
- Webinars (e.g. Webinar JEO)
- Comment sharing
- Add media, image galleries, etc.
Identify Problems And Provide Solutions
By taking advantage of incoming traffic to listen to what problems your users are trying to solve, you should have no problem developing new products and services, all of which provide new opportunities for generating new sources of web traffic.
- Consider creating a free or paid e-learning program.
- Publish an e-book that you can sell or distribute online (e.g. sell on Clickbank.
- Consider adding e-commerce to your business.
Tools, Plugins, And Strategies
If you plan to provide products and services online (as opposed to just providing information), then some of the more useful WordPress plugins you may want to consider adding to your website or blog include:
- Membership Sites (e.g. Wishlist Member, S2 Member, etc.)
- Learning Management Systems (e.g. Courseware)
- Event Registrations (e.g. EventEspresso)
Analyze Data & Feedback
The final step of the process is to collect and analyze data. By learning to interpret data gathered from existing traffic, you can discover new opportunities to create additional traffic.
Hopefully, by now you already have installed an analytics tool like Google Analytics on your site. Make sure you also learn how to interpret the data.
WordPress Traffic Automation Blueprint – Summary
Once you implement the above strategies, all you have to do is rinse and repeat, fine-tuning and refining your methods as you go to grow your traffic and improve your results.
- Start with an expertly configured WordPress site backed by good marketing, technical and business systems,
- Implement a content marketing strategy (consider adding some paid advertising to drive traffic and generate useful data) to increase your reach and visibility online,
- Add plugins, list-building strategies, and other methods if required to help build authority and credibility, and also to increase engagement with visitors,
- Promote any new solutions, products or services using your existing channels and strategies to generate additional streams of traffic,
- Analyse your data and your results, automate your processes wherever possible, and begin the cycle again.
Hopefully, now you have a blueprint that will help you drive more visitors automatically to your website and build a better business online.
"This is an awesome training series. I have a pretty good understanding of WordPress already, but this is helping me to move somewhere from intermediate to advanced user!" - Kim Lednum