Welcome to Part Five of our Web Traffic Blueprint article series, where we show you how to turn your website into an automated traffic machine using the WordPress CMS platform.
So far, we have covered the following in this series:
In Part 1 of this series, we explained why using an expertly configured WordPress site is the key to automating traffic to your website …
(With an expertly configured WordPress website or blog, all you have to do to start generating more traffic is add great content on a regular basis!)
In Part 2, we look at the setup phase. We explain the best way to get started if you don’t have a website yet, how to set everything up if you already have a website, and what to do if your website was built using WordPress.
(In Part two we show you where to set up WordPress on your domain)
In Part 3, we focused on configuring the system. We configured all the settings (hosting, WordPress and external) that affect your site’s traffic-getting ability …
(In Part 3 you learn how to configure all the settings that affect your website’s traffic-getting ability)
In Part 4, we discussed ways to automate traffic to your website using various plugins.
(Publish once to WordPress and automate the distribution of your content to all other channels!)
In this section of the WordPress web traffic automation blueprint article series, we discuss ways to optimize traffic to your website using various tools and methods.
- WordPress Traffic System – Traffic Optimization Systems
- WordPress Web Traffic Automation System – Traffic Optimization
- Increase Reach & Visibility
- Build Authority And Credibility
- Grow Influence & Engagement
- Identify Problems & Provide Solutions To These
- Analyze Data & Feedback
- WordPress Traffic Automation System – Summary
WordPress Traffic System – Traffic Optimization Systems
In addition to getting your WordPress website expertly configured, the key to generating high-quality traffic consistently is having a clearly-defined business vision, sound digital planning, and great systems and process in place.
(Generating regular traffic is the result of having a clear business vision, planning, and systems)
Let’s review briefly the systems that will help you grow and manage all traffic.
- Marketing Systems – The processes and methods used to drive traffic to your website.
- Technical Systems – The systems and processes used to ensure that your online presence remains operating efficiently for receiving traffic.
- Business Systems – The systems used to manage and respond to new traffic.
(Systems help you grow and manage your web traffic)
Let’s briefly review how important the above systems are for traffic:
Your marketing systems consist of the processes and methods used to drive traffic to your business. You can test your marketing systems by asking questions such as:
- What is your content marketing strategy/online marketing strategy?
- What resources and portion of your budget will you assign to these channels?
- How will you create and optimize your content and marketing campaigns?
- How will you test and measure the cost-effectiveness of your online campaigns?
During the setup and configuration phase, you would have installed an analytics program (e.g. Google Analytics). If you’re just starting out, you may want to consider investing in some paid advertising to help generate some initial data, such as the keyword phrases people are searching online to find your site, which you can use to create web content better targeted to your audience.
Your technical systems and processes keep your online presence operating efficiently for receiving new traffic. There’s no point driving traffic to your site if your site is down or your web pages take too long to load.
Your systems include handling areas like webhosting, website maintenance and support, installing, configuring, and updating software (e.g. plugins), customization, integration, troubleshooting, etc.
Your technical systems can be tested by asking questions such as:
- Who is looking after my webhosting?
- Who looks after my website and keeps my site, plugins, themes, etc. maintained and up-to-date?
- Who will fix errors, troubleshoot problems, provide technical support and advice, etc. if you experience difficulties?
Many potential issues can be minimized if your website planning and setup and configuration phases have been done correctly. Like all technology, however, you should expect to face problems. Your technical systems need to be robust enough to handle these.
You need good business systems and processes in place to help you manage and respond to the influx of traffic. This includes:
- Communication systems
- Managing human and financial resources
- Handling sales enquiries
- Order fulfillment
- Customer training/service
If you plan to outsource your digital marketing and technical support, then you will need excellent systems in place to manage all outsourcing.
WordPress Web Traffic Automation System – Traffic Optimization
With clear business objectives and great systems in place, all you need to do is to focus on growing a “traffic loop”.
Let’s go through an example of implementing, optimizing, and automating a traffic loop. Take a look at the diagram below …
(Implement, optimize, and automate your traffic loop)
Increase Reach & Visibility
The first step of the process is to increase visibility for your website.
Useful Tips And Ideas
- An expertly configured WordPress site will allow you to instantly notify and publicize your content to social media accounts like Facebook, Twitter, GooglePlus, etc. The easiest way to increase your reach and visibility online, therefore, is to simply publish more content online.
- As mentioned earlier, investing in some paid advertising can help generate data, which you can use to create web content better targeted to your audience’s needs.
- Repurpose your content to leverage the power, appeal, and reach of different media formats.
- Continue learning about ways to bring more web site visitors using methods like Facebook advertising, banner ads, cross promotions, etc.
Tools, Plugins, And Methods
We’ve already covered many excellent plugins, tools, and strategies in earlier sections of this tutorial series.
Also, see other posts and tutorials on this site to learn more about plugins that allow you to easily add the following to your WordPress website or blog:
- Share your posts online with others,
- Run contests, offer discounts/downloads for likes/shares,
- Display user generated content, feeds, etc.
- Distribute content online in various media formats (e.g. videos, PDF guides, slides, etc.)
Build Authority And Credibility
Getting more content published is good, but to make this activity more effective, your content also needs to be building authority and credibility with visitors.
Publishing higher quality content improves your chances of getting it shared around and viewed by more people and hence more visitors.
- Create and publish content that adds value to your audience and that showcases your expertise. This includes content that informs and educates readers, training content, case studies, adding testimonials, etc.
- Consider publishing special guides that can be sold or distributed online (e.g. sell on on the Amazon Kindle store.
Tools, Plugins, & Methods
We have created an entire course on content creation that you can plug into for free here:
Also, look for plugins that allow you to easily add the following to your WordPress website:
- Legal Pages
- Customer Support (e.g. Helpdesk, Live Chat, etc.)
- User Reviews
- Badges/Certificates Of Recognition
Grow Influence & Engagement
At some point, you may want to consider developing “traffic on tap.” You can do this by growing a list or starting an online community or even your own social site.
With “Traffic On Tap,” your traffic comes from customers or subscribers – people who already know you and trust you. Your influence and reputation can be used to generate traffic with every post you publish or email you send out.
Useful Tips And Ideas
- Encourage commenting and discussions on your site.
- Add an email training course and encourage people to subscribe.
- Add a free or paid membership site.
- Start or join an online group on Facebook.
Plugins, Tools, & Strategies
There are many solutions and plugins that are easy to implement and can help increase your online influence and improve engagement. For example:
- Autoresponders/Email Newsletters (e.g. Aweber, MailChimp, etc.)
- Contact Forms, Live Chat
- Forums & Social Communities (e.g. bbPress, BuddyPress)
- Polls & Surveys
- Webinars (e.g. Webinar JEO)
- Comment sharing
- Add media, video galleries, etc.
Identify Problems & Provide Solutions To These
By taking advantage of incoming traffic to discover what users need, you should have no problem coming up with ideas for new services and products, all of which provide new opportunities for generating new streams of traffic.
Useful Tips & Ideas
- Create an e-learning course.
- Consider publishing an instructional e-book that can be sold or distributed online.
- Add e-commerce to your business.
Plugins, Tools, And Methods
If you plan to provide products and services online (as opposed to just providing information), then some of the more useful WordPress plugins you may want to consider adding to your website or blog include:
- Membership Site plugins (e.g. Wishlist Member, S2 Member, etc.)
- Learning Management Systems (e.g. Courseware)
- Event Registrations (e.g. EventEspresso)
Analyze Data & Feedback
The final step of the process is the collection and analysis of data. By interpreting data gathered from existing traffic, you can discover new traffic opportunities.
You should already have installed an analytics program (e.g. Google Analytics) on your site. Make sure you also learn how to interpret the data.
WordPress Traffic Automation System – Summary
All you have to do once you implement the above strategies is repeat the process, fine-tuning and refining your methods as you go to grow your traffic and get better your results.
- Begin with an expertly configured WordPress site backed by solid marketing, technical and business systems,
- Implement a content marketing strategy (consider also investing in some paid advertising to drive traffic and generate useful data) to increase your reach and visibility online,
- Add plugins, list-building strategies, and other solutions if required to help build authority and credibility, and also to improve engagement with visitors,
- Promote any new solutions, products or services using your existing channels and strategies to generate additional streams of traffic,
- Analyse your data and your results, automate your processes wherever possible, and begin the cycle again.
Hopefully, now you have a blueprint that will help you automate and optimize the process of driving traffic to your web site and build a more successful business online.
"This is AMAZING! I had learnt about how to use WordPress previously, but this covers absolutely everything and more!! Incredible value! Thank you!" - Monique, Warrior Forum
Disclaimer: WordPress and its related trademarks are registered trademarks of Automattic, Inc. This site and the services and products offered on this site are not associated, affiliated, endorsed, or sponsored by WordPress, nor have they been tested, certified, or reviewed by WordPress. The owner, contributors and/or advertisers may derive financial benefit from sales of items linked to, reviewed, or advertised on this site.
Did you enjoy this tutorial? If so, please consider sharing this page with anyone thinking of starting or growing their business online using the links below.