Welcome to Part 5 of our Web Site Traffic Blueprint article series, where we show you how to automate traffic to your website using WordPress.
So far, we have covered the following in this series:
In Part One, we described the traffic automation process, and explained why using an expertly configured WordPress website is the key to generating automated traffic …
(With an expertly configured WordPress blog, all you have to do is add content consistently to generate more traffic!)
In Part 2, we look at the setup phase of this blueprint. We help you understand the best way to get started if you don’t have a web presence yet, how to set everything up if you already have a website, and what to do if your site has been built using WordPress.
(In Part two we show you how to set up a WordPress website or blog on your domain)
In Part 3, we focused on the configuration phase. We explained how to configure all the settings that can affect your website’s ability to generate traffic automatically …
(In Part Three you learn how to configure all the settings that can affect your website’s ability to generate traffic automatically)
In Part 4, we discussed ways to automate the traffic system using a number of WordPress plugins.
(Publish content one-time, automate the rest!)
In this section of the WordPress web traffic automation blueprint series, we look at ways to optimize traffic generation using different tools and strategies.
WordPress Traffic Blueprint – Systems
In addition to getting your WordPress website expertly configured, generating traffic successfully on a consistent basis comes from having a clearly-defined business vision, sound digital planning, and great systems in place.
(Generating consistent traffic is the product of having a clear business vision, sound planning, and systems)
Let’s briefly review the systems that will help you grow and manage this traffic.
These systems include:
- Marketing Systems – How you drive traffic to your business.
- Technical Systems – How you keep your web presence operating efficiently for receiving traffic.
- Business Systems – The systems and processes used to manage and respond to traffic.
(Use systems to grow and manage your web traffic)
Let’s review the above systems briefly:
Your marketing systems consist of the processes and methods used to drive new traffic to your business. You can test your online marketing systems by asking questions such as:
- What is your content marketing strategy/online marketing strategy?
- How will you apportion your budget and resources to these marketing channels?
- Who will create your content and marketing campaigns?
- How will you measure the cost-effectiveness of your marketing campaigns?
During the setup and configuration phase, you should have installed an analytics program (e.g. Google Analytics). If you’re just starting out, you may want to consider investing in some paid advertising to help you generate some intelligence. If you’re tracking your marketing campaigns correctly, this should yield some actionable data, such as the keywords people are searching online to find your site, which you can use to create content targeted specifically to your audience.
Your technical systems ensure that your digital presence remains optimized for receiving traffic. There’s no point driving traffic to your site if your site is constantly down or your web pages take too long to load.
Your technical systems need to adequately handle areas like webhosting, site maintenance and support, installing, configuring, and updating new applications (e.g. plugins), integration, customization, troubleshooting, etc.
You can test your technical systems by questions such as:
- Who will look after my webhosting?
- Who looks after my website and keeps my site maintained and up-to-date?
- Who will fix errors, troubleshoot problems, provide technical support and advice, etc. when issues occur?
Many potential issues can be minimized if your website planning and setup and configuration phases have been done correctly. As with all technology, however, you should expect problems. You will need the right technical systems in place to handle these.
You need good operational systems and processes to help you manage the influx of traffic. This includes:
- Communication systems
- Managing human and financial resources
- Handling leads and sales enquiries
- Order fulfillment
- Customer training/service
If you intend to outsource your digital marketing and technical support, then make sure you have implemented great systems to manage all outsourcing.
WordPress Traffic Automation Blueprint – Traffic Optimization Strategies
With clear business objectives and great systems in place, all you need to do is to develop your “traffic loop”.
Let’s walk through an example of implementing, optimizing, and automating a traffic loop. Take a look at the flowchart below …
(Implement and optimize a traffic loop)
Increase Reach & Visibility Online
The first step of the process is to increase visibility for your website or blog.
- An expertly configured WordPress site allows you to instantly share your content on traffic-getting sources like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. The easiest way to increase your reach and visibility online, therefore, is to simply publish more content online.
- As mentioned earlier, investing in some paid advertising (e.g. Google AdWords) can help generate some initial actionable and intelligent data, which you can use to create content targeted specifically to your audience.
- Repurpose your content to leverage different media formats.
- Continue learning about ways to attract more visitors using methods like LinkedIn, videos, Reddit, etc.
Plugins, Tools, & Methods
See earlier sections of this article series for many useful tools and strategies we’ve already covered to help you reach more members of your target audience.
Also, if you haven’t already, look for plugins that allow you to easily add the following to your website:
- Share your posts online,
- Run contests, offer downloads or discounts for shares/likes,
- Add user generated content, feeds, etc.
- Publish and distribute content online in different media formats (e.g. videos, PDF guides, infographics, etc.)
Build Authority & Credibility
Getting more content out there is good, but to make this activity more effective, your content also needs to be building authority and credibility with visitors.
Publishing better quality content improves your chances of getting it shared on other sites and hence more visitors.
Traffic Optimization Tips
- Create and publish content that adds value to potential users and that showcases your expertise. This includes content that educates and informs readers, training content, case studies, adding testimonials, etc.
- Consider publishing PDF guides that you can sell or distribute online.
Tools And Strategies
If you need ideas for posting content on your website or blog, then subscribe to our email training course on content marketing here:
Also, look for plugins that allow you to easily add the following to your WordPress website:
- Legal Pages
- Customer Support (e.g. Helpdesk, Live Chat, etc.)
- User Reviews
- Badges/Certificates Of Trust
Grow Influence & Engagement
As your business grows, you may want to consider developing “traffic on demand.” You can do this by building a list or starting an online forum, community, or even your own social network.
With “Traffic On Tap,” most of your traffic will come from customers or subscribers – people who already know you and trust you. Your influence and credibility can be used to generate traffic with a single blog post or email.
- Encourage visitors to leave comments and start discussions on your site.
- Add an autoresponder training course and encourage people to subscribe.
- Add a paid, free, or ‘freemium’ membership site, online forum, or social community.
- Start or join an online group on LinkedIn/Facebook.
Plugins, Tools, And Strategies
Many solutions and WordPress plugins are available that can help increase your online influence and improve user engagement. For example:
- Autoresponders/Email Newsletters (e.g. Aweber, MailChimp, etc.)
- Contact Forms, Live Chat
- Forums & Social Communities (e.g. bbPress, BuddyPress)
- Polls and Surveys
- Webinars (e.g. Webinar JEO)
- Comment sharing
- Add media, video galleries, etc.
Identify Problems And Provide Solutions To These
If you take advantage of incoming traffic to listen to what your visitors need, you should have no problem coming up with ideas for new solutions, all of which can provide you with new opportunities to generate additional traffic.
Traffic Optimization Tips
- Create an e-learning course.
- Publish special guides that you can sell or distribute online (e.g. sell on Amazon.
- Consider adding e-commerce to your site.
Plugins, Tools, & Strategies
If you plan to provide services and products online (as opposed to just providing information), contact us to learn more about plugins that allow you to easily add the following to your site:
- Membership Sites (e.g. Wishlist Member, S2 Member, etc.)
- Learning Management Systems (e.g. Courseware)
- Event Registrations (e.g. EventEspresso)
Analyze Data & Feedback
The final step of the process is the collection and analysis of data. Learning to gather and interpret data from existing traffic gives you the opportunity to discover new opportunities to generate additional traffic.
You should already have installed an analytics program (e.g. Google Analytics) on your site. Make sure you also learn how to interpret the data.
WordPress Traffic Automation Blueprint – Summary
Once you implement the above strategies, all you have to do is repeat the process, fine-tuning and refining your methods as you go to grow your traffic and get better your results.
- Begin with an expertly configured WordPress site backed by solid marketing, technical and business systems,
- Implement a content marketing strategy (consider also investing in some paid advertising to drive initial traffic and generate useful data) to increase your reach and visibility online,
- Add plugins, list-building strategies, and other methods as necessary to help build authority, trust, and credibility, and also to increase engagement with visitors,
- Promote any new solutions, products or services using your existing channels and strategies to generate additional streams of traffic,
- Analyse your data and your results, automate your processes wherever possible, and begin the cycle again.
Hopefully, now you have a blueprint that will help you drive more traffic automatically to your web site and get better results online.
"Your training is the best in the world! It is simple, yet detailed, direct, understandable, memorable, and complete." Andrea Adams, FinancialJourney.org