Welcome to Part Five of our Web Traffic Blueprint article series, where we explain how to automate traffic to your website using the WordPress CMS.
So far, we have covered the following in this series:
In Part 1 of this article series, we explained why using an expertly configured WordPress website or blog is the key to generating automated web traffic …
(With an expertly configured WordPress web site, all you have to do is post content consistently to automatically begin bringing web traffic!)
In Part 2, we focus on the setup phase of this blueprint. We help you understand the best way to get started if you don’t have a website yet, how to set things up if you already have a site, and what to do if your existing website was built with WordPress.
(In Part 2 we show you where to set up WordPress on your domain)
In Part Three, we look at the configuration phase. We configured webhosting settings, internal settings, and external settings that can affect your website’s traffic-getting ability …
(In Part 3 we explain how to configure hosting settings, internal settings, and external settings that affect your website’s traffic-getting ability)
In Part Four, we looked at ways to automate your traffic with different WordPress plugins.
(Publish once to WordPress and automate the distribution of your content to all other channels!)
In this section of the WordPress web traffic automation blueprint article series, we discuss ways to optimize the traffic generation process using various tools and strategies.
- WordPress Traffic Blueprint – Traffic Optimization Systems
- WordPress Web Traffic Blueprint – Optimizing Traffic Generation
- Increase Reach And Visibility
- Build Authority And Credibility
- Grow Influence And Engagement
- Identify Needs/Problems & Provide Solutions To These
- Analyze Data & Feedback
- WordPress Traffic Blueprint – Summary
WordPress Traffic Blueprint – Traffic Optimization Systems
In addition to getting your WordPress website expertly configured, generating high-quality traffic on a consistent basis is the outcome of a clear business vision, careful digital planning, and excellent systems in place.
(Consistent traffic is the result of a business vision, sound planning, and systems)
Let’s review the systems that will help you grow and manage this traffic.
- Marketing Systems – How you drive new traffic to your business.
- Technical Systems – The systems used to keep your web presence operating efficiently for receiving traffic.
- Business Systems – The systems used to manage and respond to traffic.
(Systems help you grow, automate, and manage your web traffic)
Let’s review the importance of the above systems briefly:
Your marketing systems consist of the processes and strategies used to create new traffic for your business. You can test your online marketing systems by asking questions such as:
- What is your content marketing strategy/online marketing strategy?
- How will you allocate your budget and resources to these channels?
- How will you create your content and run your marketing campaigns?
- How will you measure the cost-effectiveness of your online campaigns?
During the setup and configuration phase, you would have installed an analytics program (e.g. Google Analytics). If you’re just starting out, you may want to consider investing in some paid advertising to help generate some data, such as the keyword phrases people are searching online to find your website, which you can use to create content better targeted to your audience’s needs.
Your technical systems and processes keep your web presence operating efficiently for receiving new traffic. There’s no point sending traffic to your site if your site is experiencing problems or your web pages are taking too long to load.
Your systems need to handle areas like webhosting, site maintenance and support, installing and updating new applications (e.g. plugins), integration, customization, troubleshooting, etc.
You can test your technical systems by questions such as:
- Who is looking after my server?
- Who is looking after my website and keeping my site maintained and up-to-date?
- Who will fix errors, troubleshoot problems, provide technical support and advice, etc. should things go wrong?
Many potential issues can be minimized if your planning and setup and configuration phases have been done correctly. As with all technology, however, you should expect to face new problems. You will need the right technical systems in place to handle these.
Your business systems help you manage and respond to new traffic. This includes:
- Communication systems
- Managing human and financial resources
- Handling leads and sales inquiries
- Order fulfillment
- Customer service/training
If you plan to outsource your digital marketing and technical support, then make sure you also implement great systems for managing all outsourcing processes.
WordPress Web Traffic Blueprint – Optimizing Traffic Generation
If your business objectives are clear and your systems and processes are in place, all you need to do is focus on growing, optimizing and further automating your “traffic loop”.
Let’s go through an example of implementing, optimizing, and further automating a traffic loop. Take a look at the chart below …
(Implementing an effective traffic loop)
Increase Reach And Visibility
Step 1 of the process is to expose your business to as many potential users as you can.
- Your expertly configured WordPress site will allow you to automatically distribute your content to sites like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. The easiest way to increase your reach and visibility online, therefore, is to simply publish more content.
- As mentioned earlier, investing in some paid advertising (e.g. Facebook ads) can help generate data, which you can use to create web content targeted specifically to your audience.
- Repurpose your content to leverage the power and reach of different media formats.
- Continue learning about ways to drive web visitors using methods like Twitter, PPC advertising, email ads, etc.
Tools And Strategies
See earlier sections of this article series for a number of excellent plugins, tools, and strategies we’ve already covered to help you reach more members of your target audience.
Also, if you haven’t already, look for plugins that let you easily add the following to your website or blog:
- Share your posts online,
- Run contests, offer downloads or discounts for likes/shares,
- Add user generated content, feeds, etc.
- Publish and distribute content online in other media formats (e.g. videos, PDF guides, slides, etc.)
Build Authority And Credibility
Getting more of your content published is a great first step, but to make this more effective, your content also needs to build authority and credibility with your audience.
Publishing higher quality content improves your chances of getting more shares and views and hence more visitors.
- Create and publish content that adds value to potential visitors and that showcases your expertise. This includes content that educates and informs readers, training content, user reviews, adding testimonials, etc.
- Consider publishing instructional PDF guides that you can sell or distribute online (e.g. sell on Clickbank.
Tools, Plugins, & Methods
We have created a detailed email course on content creation that you can plug into at no cost here:
Also, if you haven’t already, look for plugins that allow you to easily add the following to your WordPress website or blog:
- Legal Pages
- Customer Support (e.g. Helpdesk, Live Chat, etc.)
- User Reviews
- Badges/Certificates Of Trust
Grow Influence And Engagement
As your business grows, you may want to consider developing “traffic on tap.” You can achieve this by building a list or starting your own community.
With “Traffic On Tap,” all of your traffic will come from customers or subscribers – people who already like you and trust you. Your influence and credibility can be used to generate traffic with a single post or broadcast.
Useful Tips And Ideas
- Encourage commenting and discussions on your site.
- Add an email training course and encourage people to subscribe.
- Add a free or paid membership site.
- Create or join an online group on Facebook/LinkedIn.
Tools, Plugins, & Methods
There are many solutions and WordPress plugins that can help increase your influence and improve engagement. For example:
- List-Building Solutions (e.g. Aweber, GetResponse, etc.)
- Contact Forms, Live Chat
- Forums & Social Communities (e.g. bbPress, BuddyPress)
- Polls and Surveys
- Webinars (e.g. Webinar JEO)
- Comment sharing
- Add media, video galleries, etc.
Identify Needs/Problems & Provide Solutions To These
By taking advantage of incoming traffic to find out what problems your users are trying to solve, you can have an endless funnel of ideas for developing new products, services, and solutions, all of which can provide you with new opportunities to generate additional web traffic.
Useful Tips & Ideas
- Consider creating an e-learning course.
- Consider publishing educational guides or special reports that can be sold or distributed online (e.g. sell on Amazon.
- Consider adding e-commerce to your site.
Tools, Plugins, & Strategies
If you plan to provide services, products, and solutions online (as opposed to just providing information), contact us to learn more about WordPress plugins that let you easily add the following to your website or blog:
- Membership Sites (e.g. Wishlist Member, S2 Member, etc.)
- e-Learning Courses (e.g. Courseware)
- Event Registrations (e.g. EventEspresso)
Analyze Data & Feedback
The final step of the process is to collect and analyze data. Gathering and interpreting data from existing traffic allows you to discover new traffic opportunities.
You should already have installed an analytics program (e.g. Google Analytics) on your website. Make sure you can also understand the data.
WordPress Traffic Blueprint – Summary
Once you implement the above strategies, all you have to do is rinse and repeat, fine-tuning and refining your methods as you go to grow your traffic and get better your results.
- Start with an expertly configured WordPress site backed by solid marketing, technical and business systems,
- Implement a content marketing strategy (consider adding some paid advertising to drive initial traffic and generate useful data) to increase your reach and visibility online,
- Add plugins, list-building strategies, and other solutions if needed to build authority and credibility, and also to increase engagement with users,
- Promote any new solutions, products or services using your existing channels and strategies to generate additional streams of traffic,
- Analyse your data and your results, automate your processes wherever possible, and begin the cycle again.
Hopefully, this post has given you a blueprint that will help you drive more traffic automatically to your WordPress web site and get better results online.
"If you're new to WordPress, this can stand on its own as a training course and will stay with you as you progress from beginner to advanced and even guru status." - Bruce (Columbus, Ohio)
Disclaimer: WordPress and its related trademarks are registered trademarks of Automattic, Inc. This site is not affiliated with nor sponsored by Automattic, Inc. or the WordPress Open Source project. This site and the products and services offered on this site are not affiliated, associated, sponsored, or endorsed by WordPress, nor have they been reviewed, certified, or tested by WordPress. The owner, contributors and/or advertisers may derive financial benefit from sales of items advertised, linked to, or reviewed on this site.
Did you find this article useful? If so, please take a moment to use the links below to share this tutorial with other online users.