Welcome to Part 5 of our WordPress Web Traffic Blueprint article series, where we show you how to create an automated traffic generation machine using the WordPress CMS platform.
So far, we have covered the following in this series:
In Part 1 of this article series, we describe the traffic automation process, and explain why using an expertly configured WordPress site is the key to automating traffic to your site …
(With an expertly configured WordPress site, all you have to do is post fresh content consistently to start generating new traffic!)
In Part 2, we focused on critical setup decisions. We explained the best way to start if you don’t have a web presence yet, how to set everything up if you already have a website, and what to do if your website has been built using WordPress.
(In Part two we show you where to set up WordPress on your domain)
In Part 3, we discussed important configuration decisions. We configured hosting settings, WordPress settings, and external settings that affect your site’s traffic-getting ability …
(In Part 3 you learn how to configure hosting settings, WordPress settings, and external settings that affect your website’s traffic-getting ability)
In Part 4, you learned how to set up various WordPress plugins that can help bring new traffic automatically to your site when you begin posting new content.
(Publish once to WordPress and automate the distribution of your content to all other channels!)
In Part 5 of the WordPress web traffic automation blueprint series, we look at ways to optimize the traffic-getting process with different tools and methods.
- WordPress Traffic Automation Blueprint – Traffic Optimization Systems
- WordPress Web Traffic Automation Blueprint – Traffic Optimization Tools & Methods
- Increase Reach And Visibility
- Build Authority & Credibility
- Grow Influence & Engagement
- Identify Problems & Provide Solutions To These
- Analyze Data & Feedback
- WordPress Traffic Blueprint – Summary
WordPress Traffic Automation Blueprint – Traffic Optimization Systems
In addition to getting your WordPress website expertly configured, the key to generating successfully on a consistent basis is having a clear business vision, sound digital planning, and great systems in place.
(Generating automated traffic is the result of a business vision, planning, and excellent systems)
Let’s briefly review the systems that will help you grow and manage all traffic.
These systems include:
- Marketing Systems – How you drive new traffic to your website.
- Technical Systems – How you keep your digital presence optimized for receiving new traffic.
- Business Systems – How you manage and respond to traffic.
(Use systems to grow and manage your web traffic)
Let’s briefly review the importance of the above systems:
Your marketing systems consist of the processes and strategies used to drive traffic to your business. Your marketing systems can be tested by asking questions such as:
- What is your content marketing strategy/online marketing strategy?
- What resources and portion of your budget will you apply to these channels?
- Who will create your content and marketing campaigns?
- How will you measure the cost-effectiveness of your marketing campaigns?
During the setup and configuration phase, you should have installed an analytics program (e.g. Google Analytics). If you’re just starting out, you may want to consider investing in some paid advertising (e.g. Google AdWords) to help you generate some data, such as the keywords people are searching online to find your website, which you can use to create content targeted specifically to your audience.
Your technical systems and processes ensure that your online presence remains up and running for receiving traffic. There’s no point sending traffic to your site if your site is experiencing problems or your web pages take too long to load.
Your technical systems need to be able to adequately handle technical areas like webhosting, site maintenance and support, installing, configuring, and updating new software (e.g. plugins), customization, integration, troubleshooting, etc.
You can test your technical systems by questions such as:
- Who will look after my webhosting?
- Who will look after my website and keep my site maintained and up-to-date?
- Who will fix errors, troubleshoot problems, provide technical support and advice, etc. if any problems occur?
Many potential issues can be minimized if your planning and setup and configuration phases have been completed correctly. Like all technology, however, there will always be new problems. You will need the right technical systems in place to handle these.
Your business systems and processes help you manage the influx of new traffic. This includes:
- Communication systems
- Resources management – human, financial
- Handling leads and sales inquiries
- Order fulfillment
- Customer training/service
If you plan to outsource key aspects of your digital marketing and technical services, then you will need to put excellent systems in place for managing all outsourcing.
WordPress Web Traffic Automation Blueprint – Traffic Optimization Tools & Methods
With clear business objectives and great systems in place, all you need to focus your efforts on is developing a “traffic loop”.
Let’s go through an example of implementing, optimizing, and automating a traffic loop. Take a look at the illustration below …
Increase Reach And Visibility
The first step of the process is to increase visibility for your website.
- An expertly configured WordPress site allows you to automatically syndicate your content to sites like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. The easiest way to increase your reach and visibility online, therefore, is to simply publish more content.
- As mentioned earlier, investing in some paid advertising (e.g. pay-per-click ads) can help generate some initial data, which you can use to create content targeted specifically to your audience.
- Repurpose your content to leverage the power and reach of different media formats.
- Continue learning about ways to increase visitors using methods like Facebook, social media, StumbleUpon, etc.
Tools, Plugins, And Strategies
See previous sections of this article series for a number of useful tools, plugins, and strategies we’ve already covered to help you reach more potential users.
Also, if you haven’t already, contact us to learn more about plugins that allow you to easily add the following to your site:
- Share your posts online,
- Run contests, offer discounts or downloads for likes/shares,
- Add user generated content, feeds, etc.
- Distribute content online in various media formats (e.g. videos, PDF guides, slides, etc.)
Build Authority & Credibility
Getting more content out there is good, but to make this more effective, your content needs to build authority and credibility with users.
Publishing higher quality content improves your chances of getting more views from social sharing and hence more traffic.
Traffic Optimization Ideas
- Focus on creating and publishing content that will add value to potential users and showcase your expertise. This includes content that informs and educates readers, training content, user reviews, adding testimonials, etc.
- Consider publishing special guides that can be sold or distributed online.
Tools, Plugins, & Strategies
If you need great content ideas for your website, then subscribe to our FREE email training series here:
Also, learn more about plugins that allow you to easily add the following to your site:
- Legal Pages
- Customer Support (e.g. Helpdesk, Live Chat, etc.)
- User Reviews
- Badges/Certificates Of Recognition
Grow Influence & Engagement
As your business grows, you may want to consider developing “traffic on demand.” You can achieve this by building a list or starting an online group.
With “Traffic On Demand,” your traffic will come from customers or subscribers – people who already like you and trust you. Your influence and reputation can be used to generate new traffic with a single post or email.
- Encourage commenting and discussions on your site.
- Add an email training course and encourage people to subscribe.
- Add a paid, free, or ‘freemium’ membership site, online forum, or social community.
- Start or join a Facebook/LinkedIn Group.
Plugins, Tools, & Methods
There are many solutions and plugins that are easy to implement and can help increase your influence and improve engagement. For example:
- Autoresponders (e.g. Aweber, GetResponse, etc.)
- Contact Forms, Live Chat
- Forums & Discussion Groups (e.g. bbPress, BuddyPress)
- Polls and Surveys
- Webinars (e.g. Webinar JEO)
- Comment sharing
- Add media, image galleries, etc.
Identify Problems & Provide Solutions To These
By taking advantage of incoming traffic to discover what problems your users are trying to solve, you can have an endless funnel of ideas for new products and services, all of which provide new opportunities for generating additional web traffic.
- Consider creating an online training course.
- Consider publishing a special report that you can sell or distribute online.
- Consider adding e-commerce to your site.
Tools, Plugins, And Methods
If you plan to provide products, services, and solutions online (as opposed to just providing information), ask us about plugins that allow you to easily add the following to your website or blog:
- Membership Site plugins (e.g. Wishlist Member, S2 Member, etc.)
- e-Courses (e.g. Courseware)
- Event Registrations (e.g. EventEspresso)
Analyze Data & Feedback
The final step of the process is the collection and analysis of data. By learning to interpret data gathered from existing traffic, you can discover new traffic opportunities.
Hopefully, by now you already have installed an analytics tool like Google Analytics on your site. Make sure you understand the metrics and features and can interpret the data.
WordPress Traffic Blueprint – Summary
All you have to do once you implement the above strategies is repeat the process over and over again, fine-tuning and refining your methods as you go to grow your traffic and get better your results.
- Start with an expertly configured WordPress site backed by solid marketing, technical and business systems,
- Implement a content marketing strategy (with some paid advertising to drive initial traffic and generate useful data) to increase your reach and visibility online,
- Add plugins, list-building strategies, and other methods as necessary to build authority, trust, and credibility, and also to improve engagement with users,
- Promote any new solutions, products or services using your existing channels and strategies to generate additional streams of traffic,
- Analyse your data and your results, automate your processes wherever possible, and begin the cycle again.
Hopefully, now you have a blueprint that will help you automate and optimize the process of driving traffic to your web site and build a more successful business online.
"I am beyond impressed with what you have put together. I can tell that you put a ton of hard work into building what you have. You have the absolute best content on WordPress I have ever seen!" - Robert T. Jillie
Disclaimer: This site has no direct association with WordPress, Automattic, or any products mentioned or reviewed on this site. We may derive affiliate commissions or financial benefits from sales of third-party services or products advertised, mentioned or linked from our website. All images and details sourced from product websites remain the copyright of their respective owners and comply with all license terms and agreements of use.
Did you enjoy this tutorial? If so, please use the share buttons below and share this article with anyone who can benefit from learning about WordPress.