Welcome to Part 5 of our WordPress Website Traffic Blueprint article series, where we show you how to create an automated web traffic machine using the WordPress CMS platform.
So far, here is what we have covered in this series:
In Part 1 of this series, we provide an overview of the traffic automation process, and explain why using an expertly configured WordPress site is the key to generating automated traffic …
(With an expertly configured WordPress blog, all you have to do to automatically start generating more web traffic is publish web content consistently!)
In Part 2, we looked at critical setup decisions. We explained the best way to start if you don’t have a web presence yet, how to set everything up if you already have a website, and what to do if your existing website has been built using WordPress.
(In Part two we show you how to set up a WordPress website on your domain)
In Part Three, we focus on the configuration phase. We configured all the settings that can affect your website’s traffic-getting ability …
(In Part 3 we explain how to configure all the settings (hosting, internal and external) that affect your website’s ability to generate traffic automatically)
In Part Four, we explained how to set up various plugins that can help drive new traffic automatically to your website or blog simply by adding new content.
(Publish once, automate the rest!)
In this article, we look at ways to optimize traffic to your website using a number of tools and methods.
WordPress Web Traffic Automation Blueprint – Systems
In addition to having an expertly configured WordPress website, the key to generating successfully on a consistent basis is having a clear business vision, great digital planning, and good systems in place.
(Optimized traffic is the product of having a clear business vision, sound planning, and great systems)
Let’s briefly review the systems that will help you grow and manage new traffic.
These systems include:
- Marketing Systems – The processes and strategies used to drive traffic to your website.
- Technical Systems – How you keep your web presence operating efficiently for receiving traffic.
- Business Systems – How you manage and respond to traffic.
(Use systems to grow, automate, and manage your web traffic)
Let’s briefly review the above systems:
Your marketing systems consist of the processes and methods used to create new traffic for your business. Your marketing systems can be tested by asking questions such as:
- What is your online marketing strategy?
- What resources and portion of your budget will you assign to these channels?
- How will you create your content and marketing campaigns?
- How will you track conversions and measure the ROI of your campaigns?
During the setup and configuration phase, you would have installed an analytics program (e.g. Google Analytics). If you’re just starting out, you may want to consider investing in some paid advertising to help you generate some data, such as the keyword phrases people are searching online to find your site, which you can use to create web content better targeted to your audience’s needs.
Your technical systems ensure that your web presence remains operating efficiently for receiving new traffic. There’s no point driving traffic to your site if your site is constantly experiencing problems or your web pages are taking a long time to load.
Your technical systems include handling areas like webhosting, site maintenance and support, installing and updating new applications (e.g. plugins), customization, integration, troubleshooting, etc.
You can test your technical systems by questions such as:
- Who will look after my webhosting?
- Who will look after my website and keep my site maintained and up-to-date?
- Who will fix errors, troubleshoot problems, provide technical support and advice, etc. should things go wrong?
Many potential issues can be minimized if your website planning and setup and configuration phases have been done correctly. As with all technology, however, you should expect problems. You will need the right technical systems in place to handle these.
Your business systems and processes help you manage and respond to traffic. This includes:
- Communication systems
- Managing human and financial resources
- Handling sales inquiries
- Order fulfillment
- Customer training/service
If you plan to outsource key aspects of your digital marketing and technical maintenance, then you will need good systems in place to manage all outsourcing.
WordPress Traffic Automation System – Traffic Optimization
With clear business objectives and great systems in place, all you need to focus on is growing a “traffic loop”.
Let’s go through an example of how to implement, optimize, and automate a traffic loop. Take a look at the illustration below …
(Implementing an effective traffic loop)
Increase Reach And Visibility Online
The first step of the process is to increase visibility for your business.
- Your expertly configured WordPress site will allow you to instantly notify and publicize your content to social media accounts like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. The easiest way to increase your reach and visibility online, therefore, is to simply publish more content on your site.
- As mentioned earlier, investing in some paid advertising can help you generate some initial data, which you can use to create content better targeted to your audience’s needs.
- Repurpose your content to leverage the power and reach of different media formats.
- Continue learning about ways to get web traffic using methods like LinkedIn advertising, videos, StumbleUpon, etc.
Plugins, Tools, And Methods
See earlier sections of this tutorial series for a number of excellent tools and strategies we’ve already covered to help you reach more members of your target audience.
Also, if you haven’t already, see other posts on this site to learn more about plugins that allow you to easily add the following to your website or blog:
- Share your posts online with others,
- Run contests, offer discounts/downloads for shares/likes,
- Add user generated content, feeds, etc.
- Distribute content online in other media formats (e.g. videos, PDF guides, audio, etc.)
Build Authority And Credibility
Getting more of your content published is a great first step, but for this activity to be really effective, your content also needs to build authority and credibility with visitors.
Publishing authoritative content not only helps to establish your credibility, it also improves your chances of getting more people to share it around and hence more visitors.
- Focus on creating content that will add value to potential visitors and showcase your expertise. This includes content that informs and educates readers, training content, user reviews, adding testimonials, etc.
- Consider publishing special reports that can be sold or distributed online (e.g. sell on Amazon.
Plugins, Tools, & Methods
If you need endless ideas for posting content on your website or blog, we recommend subscribing to our email training series on content marketing here:
Also, ask us about plugins that allow you to easily add the following to your website:
- Legal Pages
- Customer Support (e.g. Helpdesk, Live Chat, etc.)
- User Reviews
- Badges/Certificates Of Trust
Grow Influence & Engagement
As your business grows, you may want to consider developing “traffic on demand.” You can achieve this by building a list or starting your own online community or social network.
With “Traffic On Tap,” all of your traffic will come from an audience of existing customers or subscribers – people who already like you and trust you. Your influence and reputation can be used to generate new traffic with every post you publish, forum post you add, or email broadcast you send out.
- Encourage users to leave comments and start discussions on your site.
- Add an autoresponder newsletter and encourage people to subscribe.
- Add a free or paid membership site.
- Create or join a Facebook/LinkedIn Group.
Plugins, Tools, And Methods
Many solutions and plugins are available that can help increase your online influence and improve engagement. For example:
- List-Building Solutions (e.g. Aweber, GetResponse, etc.)
- Contact Forms, Live Chat
- Forums and Discussion Groups (e.g. bbPress, BuddyPress)
- Polls and Surveys
- Webinars (e.g. Webinar JEO)
- Comment sharing
- Add media, image galleries, etc.
Identify Problems & Provide Solutions
By taking advantage of incoming traffic to find out what your visitors are looking for, you should have no problem coming up with ideas for new services and products, all of which provide new opportunities for generating new sources of web traffic.
Useful Tips And Ideas
- Consider creating an online training program.
- Consider publishing an educational guide that can be sold or distributed online.
- Add e-commerce to your business.
Tools, Plugins, & Methods
If you plan to provide products, services, and solutions online (as opposed to just providing information), then some of the more useful WordPress plugins you may want to consider adding to your website or blog include:
- Membership Sites (e.g. Wishlist Member, S2 Member, etc.)
- Learning Management Systems (e.g. Courseware)
- Event Registrations (e.g. EventEspresso)
Analyze Data & Feedback
The final step of the process is the collection and analysis of data. Learning to gather and interpret data from existing traffic allows you to discover new traffic opportunities.
You should already have installed an analytics tool (e.g. Google Analytics) on your site. Make sure you understand the metrics and can interpret the data.
WordPress Traffic System – Summary
All you have to do once you implement the above strategies is repeat the same process, fine-tuning and refining your methods as you go to grow your traffic and improve your results.
- Begin with an expertly configured WordPress site backed by solid marketing, technical and business systems,
- Implement a content marketing strategy (consider also investing in some paid advertising to drive traffic and generate useful data) to increase your reach and visibility online,
- Add plugins, list-building strategies, and other solutions if needed to help build authority and credibility, and also to improve engagement with visitors,
- Promote any new solutions, products or services using your existing channels and strategies to generate additional streams of traffic,
- Analyse your data and your results, automate your processes wherever possible, and begin the cycle again.
Hopefully, now you have a blueprint that will help you drive more visitors automatically to your web site and build a better business online.
"Wow! I never knew there's so much to learn about WordPress! I bought one of the WordPress for Dummies three years ago, such authors need to be on this course!" - Rich Law, Create A Blog Now