Welcome to Part 5 of our WordPress Web Traffic Blueprint article series, where we show you how to turn a site into an automated traffic machine using the WordPress CMS.
So far, here is what we have covered in this article series:
In Part One of this series, we provided an overview of the traffic automation process, and explained why using an expertly configured WordPress site is the key to generating automated traffic …
(With an expertly configured WordPress website, all you have to do is add fresh content on a consistent basis to start attracting traffic!)
In Part 2, we look at the setup phase. We help you understand the best way to start if you don’t have a website yet, how to set things up if you already have a site, and what to do if your website was built using WordPress.
(In Part 2 we show you where to set up a WordPress website on your domain)
In Part 3, we looked at important configuration decisions. We configured all the settings (hosting, WordPress and external) that can affect your website’s traffic-getting ability …
(In Part Three you will configure all the settings (hosting, WordPress and external) that affect your site’s ability to generate traffic automatically)
In Part Four, we discussed ways to automate traffic generation with plugins.
(Publish once to WordPress and automate the distribution of your content to all other services!)
In this article, we discuss ways to optimize the traffic system using various tools and methods.
WordPress Traffic Automation Blueprint – Traffic Optimization Systems
In addition to having an expertly configured WordPress website, the key to generating targeted traffic on a consistent basis is having a clearly-defined business vision, sound digital planning, and good systems and process in place.
(Optimized traffic is the product of a business vision, planning, and systems)
Let’s review briefly the systems that will help you grow and manage all traffic.
- Marketing Systems – How you create traffic for your website.
- Technical Systems – How you ensure that your digital presence remains operating efficiently for receiving new traffic.
- Business Systems – The systems and processes used to manage and respond to new traffic.
(Use systems to grow, automate, and manage your traffic)
Let’s briefly review the above systems:
Your marketing systems consist of the processes and strategies used to create traffic for your website. Your online marketing systems can be tested by asking questions such as:
- What is your online marketing strategy?
- How will you assign your budget and resources to your marketing channels?
- Who will create your content, sales funnels, and marketing campaigns?
- How will you track conversions and measure the results of your campaigns?
During the setup and configuration phase, you would have installed an analytics program (e.g. Google Analytics). If you’re just starting out, you may want to consider investing in some paid advertising (e.g. pay-per-click ads) to help you generate some initial data, such as the keywords people are searching online to find your website, which you can use to create web content better targeted to your audience’s needs.
Your technical systems and processes ensure that your web presence remains up and running for receiving traffic. There’s no point sending traffic to your site if your site is down or your pages take a very long time to load.
Your technical systems need to handle areas like webhosting, site maintenance and support, installing and updating new software (e.g. plugins), integration, customization, troubleshooting, etc.
You can test your technical systems by questions such as:
- Who will look after my webhosting?
- Who will look after my website and keep my site, plugins, themes, etc. maintained and up-to-date?
- Who will fix errors, troubleshoot problems, provide technical support and advice, etc. if you experience difficulties?
Many potential problems can be minimized if your website planning and setup and configuration phases have been completed correctly. As with all technology, however, you can expect problems. Your technical systems need to be able to handle these.
You need good business systems and processes in place to help you manage and respond to new traffic. These include:
- Communication systems
- Managing human and financial resources
- Handling sales enquiries
- Order fulfillment
- Customer service/training
If you plan to outsource areas of your digital marketing and technical support, then you will need to put systems in place for managing all outsourcing.
WordPress Traffic Automation System – Traffic Optimization Tools & Methods
If your business objectives are clear and your systems and processes are in place, all you need to focus on are ways to develop a “traffic loop”.
Let’s walk through an example of implementing, optimizing, and automating a traffic loop. Take a look at the processes illustrated below …
(Implementing, optimizing and automating your traffic loop)
Increase Reach & Visibility Online
The first step of the process is to increase visibility for your business and website.
- An expertly configured WordPress site allows you to instantly share your content on social media accounts like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. The easiest way to increase your reach and visibility online, therefore, is to simply publish more content online.
- As mentioned earlier, investing in some paid advertising (e.g. Facebook ads) can help generate actionable data such as the keyword phrases people are searching online to find your website, which you can use to create web content targeted specifically to your audience.
- Repurpose your content to leverage the power, appeal, and reach of different media formats.
- Continue learning about ways to get web site visitors using methods like paid advertising, solo ads, email, etc.
Plugins, Tools, & Strategies
We’ve already covered a number of excellent tools, plugins, and strategies in earlier sections of this tutorial series.
Also, if you haven’t already, contact us to learn more about plugins that let you easily add the following to your website:
- Share your comments and posts online,
- Run contests, offer downloads or discounts for shares/likes,
- Display user generated content, feeds, etc.
- Publish and distribute content online in other media formats (e.g. videos, PDF guides, infographics, etc.)
Build Authority And Credibility
Getting more of your content published is great, but to make this more effective, your content also needs to build authority and credibility with users.
Publishing better quality content not only helps to establish your credibility, it also improves your chances of getting it shared around and viewed by more people and hence more traffic.
Useful Tips & Ideas
- Focus on creating content that will add value to potential users and showcase your expertise. This includes content that educates and informs readers, training content, case studies, adding testimonials, etc.
- Consider publishing expert reports that you can sell or distribute online (e.g. sell on on the Amazon Kindle book store.
Plugins, Tools, And Methods
We have created a comprehensive email course on content creation that you can plug into for free here:
Also, if you haven’t already, look for plugins that let you easily add the following to your WordPress website or blog:
- Legal Pages
- Customer Support (e.g. Helpdesk, Live Chat, etc.)
- User Reviews
- Badges/Certificates Of Recognition
Grow Influence And Engagement
As your business grows, you may want to consider developing “traffic on demand.” You can achieve this by growing a list or starting your own online community or social network.
With “Traffic On Demand,” all of your traffic comes from customers or subscribers – people who already know you and trust you. Your influence and credibility can be used to generate traffic with a single blog post or email.
- Encourage commenting and discussions on your site.
- Add an autoresponder newsletter and encourage people to subscribe.
- Add a free or paid membership site.
- Create or join a Facebook/LinkedIn Group.
Tools, Plugins, & Methods
There are many solutions and plugins that can help increase your influence and improve engagement. For example:
- Autoresponders/Email Newsletters (e.g. Aweber, GetResponse, etc.)
- Contact Forms, Live Chat
- Forums & Social Communities (e.g. bbPress, BuddyPress)
- Polls and Surveys
- Webinars (e.g. Webinar JEO)
- Comment sharing
- Add media, image galleries, etc.
Identify Needs & Provide Solutions To These
If you take advantage of incoming traffic to listen to what your visitors want, you should have no problem coming up with ideas for new solutions, all of which can provide you with new opportunities for generating new sources of web traffic.
- Consider creating an e-learning program.
- Publish PDF guides that you can sell or distribute online (e.g. sell on on the Amazon Kindle book store.
- Consider adding e-commerce to your site.
Tools And Methods
If you plan to provide services and products online (as opposed to just providing information), then some of the more useful plugins you may want to consider adding to your site include:
- Membership Site plugins (e.g. Wishlist Member, S2 Member, etc.)
- e-Learning Courses (e.g. Courseware)
- Event Registrations (e.g. EventEspresso)
Analyze Data & Feedback
The final step of the process is the collection and analysis of data. Gathering and interpreting data from existing traffic lets you discover new opportunities to generate content that can bring you additional traffic.
Hopefully, by now you already have installed an analytics program like Google Analytics on your website. Make sure you can also understand the data.
WordPress Traffic System – Summary
All you have to do once you implement the above strategies is rinse and repeat, fine-tuning and refining your methods as you go to grow your traffic and get better your results.
- Start with an expertly configured WordPress site backed by solid marketing, technical and business systems,
- Implement a content marketing strategy (with some paid advertising to drive initial traffic and generate useful data) to increase your reach and visibility online,
- Add plugins, list-building strategies, and other methods if required to help build authority, trust, and credibility, and also to increase engagement with visitors,
- Promote any new solutions, products or services using your existing channels and strategies to generate additional streams of traffic,
- Analyse your data and your results, automate your processes wherever possible, and begin the cycle again.
Hopefully, now you have a blueprint that will help you automate and optimize the process of driving traffic to your website and expand your business online.
"I was absolutely amazed at the scope and breadth of these tutorials! The most in-depth training I have ever received on any subject!" - Myke O'Neill, DailyGreenPost.com