Welcome to Part Five of our WordPress Web Site Traffic Blueprint article series, where we show you how to grow your business online automatically using the WordPress CMS.
So far, here is what we have covered in this series:
In Part One, we described the traffic automation process, and explained why using an expertly configured WordPress site is the key to generating automated web traffic …
(With an expertly configured WordPress site, all you have to do is post content on a consistent basis to begin bringing traffic!)
In Part Two, we discussed critical setup decisions. We helped you understand the best way to get started if you don’t have a website yet, how to set things up if you already have a site, and what to do if your site was built with WordPress.
(In Part two we show you where to set up WordPress on your domain)
In Part 3, we discussed configuring the system. We explained how to configure web hosting settings, internal settings, and external settings that can affect your website’s ability to generate traffic automatically …
(In Part 3 you will configure all the settings that affect your website’s ability to generate traffic automatically)
In Part Four, we explained how to set up various plugins that can help drive traffic automatically to your website.
(Publish content one-time, automate the rest!)
In this article, we look at ways to optimize the traffic system using a number of tools and methods.
WordPress Traffic Automation System – Traffic Optimization Systems
In addition to getting your WordPress site expertly configured, the key to generating targeted traffic consistently is having a clearly-defined business vision, sound digital planning, and excellent systems in place.
(Generating automated traffic is the product of having a clear business vision, planning, and great systems)
Let’s review the systems that will help you grow and manage your traffic.
- Marketing Systems – The processes and methods used to drive traffic to your business.
- Technical Systems – The systems used to keep your digital presence optimized for receiving new traffic.
- Business Systems – The systems and processes used to manage and respond to new traffic.
(Systems help you grow, automate, optimize, and manage your traffic)
Let’s briefly review how important the above systems are for optimizing traffic:
Your marketing systems consist of the processes and methods used to drive new traffic to your website. Your marketing systems can be tested by asking questions such as:
- What channels will you use to drive traffic (e.g. blogging, video marketing, etc)?
- What resources and portion of your budget will you apply to these channels?
- Who will create your content and marketing campaigns?
- How will you track conversions and measure the cost-effectiveness of your campaigns?
During the setup and configuration phase, you should have installed an analytics program (e.g. Google Analytics). If you’re just starting out, you may want to consider investing in some paid advertising (e.g. pay-per-click ads) to help you generate some initial intelligence. If you’re tracking your marketing campaigns correctly, this should yield some actionable data, such as the keywords people are searching online to find your website, which you can use to create content targeted specifically to your audience’s needs.
Your technical systems keep your online presence up and running for receiving new traffic. There’s no point sending traffic to your site if your site is constantly experiencing problems or your pages take too long to load.
Your systems need to handle technical areas like webhosting, website maintenance and support, installing, configuring, and updating new software (e.g. plugins), customization, integration, troubleshooting, etc.
Your technical systems can be tested by asking questions such as:
- Who will look after my webhosting?
- Who is looking after my website and keeping my site, plugins, themes, etc. maintained and up-to-date?
- Who will fix errors, troubleshoot problems, provide technical support and advice, etc. should anything go wrong?
Many potential problems can be minimized if your website planning and setup and configuration phases have been done correctly. As with all technology, however, you should expect new problems. Your technical systems need to be able to handle these.
Your business systems and processes help you manage and respond to new traffic. These include:
- Communication systems
- Managing human and financial resources
- Handling leads and sales inquiries
- Order fulfillment
- Customer service/training
If you plan to outsource areas of your digital marketing and technical services, then you will need to put good systems in place for managing all outsourcing.
WordPress Traffic Automation System – Traffic Loops
If your business objectives are clear and your systems and processes are in place, all you need to do is to grow, optimize, and automate a “traffic loop”.
Let’s go through an example of how to implement, optimize, and further automate a traffic loop. Take a look at the diagram below …
(An effective traffic loop)
Increase Reach & Visibility Online
Step 1 of the process is to expose your business to as many potential users as possible.
- Your expertly configured WordPress site allows you to automatically publish your content on places like Facebook, Twitter, GooglePlus, etc. The easiest way to increase your reach and visibility online, therefore, is to simply publish more content online.
- As mentioned earlier, investing in some paid advertising (e.g. Facebook ads) can help you generate some initial actionable and intelligent data, which you can use to create web content better targeted to your audience’s needs.
- Repurpose your content to leverage the power, appeal, and reach of different media formats.
- Continue learning about ways to get more traffic using methods like paid ads, videos, StumbleUpon, etc.
Tools & Strategies
We’ve already covered many useful plugins, tools, and methods in earlier sections of this article series.
Also, look for plugins that let you easily add the following to your WordPress site:
- Share your comments and posts online with others,
- Run contests, offer downloads or discounts for likes/shares,
- Accept user generated content, feeds, etc.
- Publish and distribute content online in different media formats (e.g. videos, PDF guides, audio, etc.)
Build Authority And Credibility
Getting more content out there is great, but for this activity to be really effective, your content needs to be building authority and credibility with users.
Publishing better quality content not only helps to establish your credibility, it also improves your chances of getting it shared around and viewed by more people and hence more traffic.
- Create and publish content that adds value to potential users and that showcases your expertise. This includes content that educates and informs readers, training content, case studies, adding testimonials, etc.
- Consider publishing educational guides or special reports that can be sold or distributed online (e.g. sell on Clickbank.
Tools, Plugins, & Strategies
We have created a detailed course on content creation that you can plug into at no cost here:
Also, if you haven’t already, ask us about WordPress plugins that allow you to easily add the following to your website or blog:
- Legal Pages
- Customer Support (e.g. Helpdesk, Live Chat, etc.)
- User Reviews
- Badges/Certificates Of Recognition
Grow Influence And Engagement
As your business grows, you may want to consider developing “traffic on demand.” You can achieve this by growing a list or starting your own community.
With “Traffic On Tap,” your traffic will come from an audience of customers or subscribers – people who already know you and trust you. Your influence and reputation can be used to generate traffic with every post you publish or broadcast you send out.
Traffic Optimization Tips
- Encourage commenting and discussions on your site.
- Add an email training course and encourage people to subscribe.
- Add a free or paid membership site.
- Start or join an online group on Facebook/LinkedIn.
Tools And Strategies
Many solutions and plugins are available that can help grow your influence and improve user engagement. For example:
- List-Building Solutions (e.g. Aweber, GetResponse, etc.)
- Contact Forms, Live Chat
- Forums and Discussion Groups (e.g. bbPress, BuddyPress)
- Polls and Surveys
- Webinars (e.g. Webinar JEO)
- Comment sharing
- Add media, video galleries, etc.
Identify Problems & Provide Solutions
If you take advantage of incoming traffic to listen to what problems your visitors are trying to solve, you can have an endless funnel of ideas for new services and products, all of which provide new opportunities to generate new streams of web traffic.
- Consider creating an online training course.
- Consider publishing special guides that you can sell or distribute online (e.g. sell on Amazon.
- Consider adding e-commerce to your site.
Plugins, Tools, And Strategies
If you plan to provide services, products, and solutions online (as opposed to just providing information), learn more about plugins that let you easily add the following to your website:
- Membership Sites (e.g. Wishlist Member, S2 Member, etc.)
- e-Learning Courses (e.g. Courseware)
- Event Registrations (e.g. EventEspresso)
Analyze Data & Feedback
The final step of the process is the collection and analysis of data. By interpreting data gathered from existing traffic, you can discover new opportunities to create additional traffic.
Hopefully, by now you already have installed an analytics tool (e.g. Google Analytics) on your site. Make sure you understand the metrics and features and can interpret the data.
WordPress Traffic System – Summary
All you have to do once you implement the above strategies is rinse and repeat, fine-tuning and refining your methods as you go to grow your traffic and get better your results.
- Start with an expertly configured WordPress site backed by solid marketing, technical and business systems,
- Implement a content marketing strategy (consider adding some paid advertising to drive initial traffic and generate useful data) to increase your reach and visibility online,
- Add plugins, list-building strategies, and other solutions if needed to build authority and credibility, and also to increase engagement with visitors,
- Promote any new solutions, products or services using your existing channels and strategies to generate additional streams of traffic,
- Analyse your data and your results, automate your processes wherever possible, and begin the cycle again.
Hopefully, now you have a blueprint that will help you automate and optimize the process of driving visitors to your WordPress website and build a more successful business online.
"I have used the tutorials to teach all of my clients and it has probably never been so easy for everyone to learn WordPress ... Now I don't need to buy all these very expensive video courses that often don't deliver what they promise." - Stefan Wendt, Internet Marketing Success Group