Welcome to Part 5 of our Website Traffic Blueprint article series, where we show you how to turn your site into an automated web traffic machine using the WordPress CMS.
So far, here is what we have covered in this series:
In Part One of this series, we described the traffic automation process, and explained why using an expertly configured WordPress website or blog is the key to automating traffic to your website …
(With an expertly configured WordPress web site, all you have to do is publish great content regularly to begin bringing new web traffic!)
In Part 2, we looked at the setup phase. We helped you understand the best way to start if you don’t have a website yet, how to set things up if you already have a website, and what to do if your site was built using WordPress.
(In Part 2 we show you where to set up WordPress on your domain)
In Part Three, we look at important configuration decisions. We configured all the settings (hosting, WordPress and external) that affect your site’s traffic-getting ability …
(In Part 3 you learn how to configure hosting settings, internal settings, and external settings that affect your site’s ability to generate traffic automatically)
In Part 4, we looked at ways to automate traffic generation with different plugins.
(Publish content one-time, automate the rest!)
In this article, we look at ways to optimize the traffic-getting process using various tools and methods.
WordPress Traffic System – Traffic Optimization Systems
In addition to having an expertly configured WordPress website or blog, the key to generating high-quality traffic consistently is having a clear business vision, sound digital planning, and great systems in place.
(Automated traffic is the result of having a clear business vision, planning, and systems)
Let’s briefly review the systems that will help you grow and manage new traffic.
- Marketing Systems – How you create new traffic for your business.
- Technical Systems – How you ensure that your online presence remains up and running for receiving new traffic.
- Business Systems – The systems used to manage and respond to new traffic.
(Use systems to grow, automate, and manage your traffic)
Let’s review the importance of the above systems briefly:
Your marketing systems consist of the processes and strategies used to drive new traffic to your website. Your online marketing systems can be tested by asking questions such as:
- What channels do you plan to use to generate new traffic (e.g. blogging, facebook advertising, video marketing, etc)?
- How will you assign your marketing budget and resources to these channels?
- Who will create and optimize your content, sales funnels, and marketing campaigns?
- How will you track conversions and measure the ROI of your marketing campaigns?
During the setup and configuration phase, you would have installed an analytics program (e.g. Google Analytics). If you’re just starting out, you may want to consider investing in some paid advertising (e.g. pay-per-click ads) to help generate some initial actionable data, such as the keywords people are searching online to find your site, which you can use to create web content targeted specifically to your audience.
Your technical systems and processes keep your web presence operating efficiently for receiving traffic. There’s no point sending traffic to your website if your site is down or your pages take a very long time to load.
Your systems include handling areas like webhosting, website maintenance and support, installing, configuring, and updating software (e.g. plugins), integration, customization, troubleshooting, etc.
You can test your technical systems by questions such as:
- Who looks after my webhosting?
- Who looks after my website and keeps my site, plugins, themes, etc. maintained and up-to-date?
- Who will fix errors, troubleshoot problems, provide technical support and advice, etc. if you experience difficulties?
Many potential problems can be minimized if your website planning and setup and configuration phases have been done correctly. As with all technology, however, you can expect new problems to arise. You will need the right technical systems in place to handle these.
You need good operational systems in place to help you manage the influx of new traffic. These include:
- Communication systems
- Resources management – human, financial
- Handling leads and sales inquiries
- Order fulfillment
- Customer service/training
If you intend to outsource your digital marketing and technical services, then make sure you also implement great systems for managing all outsourcing processes.
WordPress Traffic Blueprint – Optimizing Traffic Generation
If your business objectives are clear and your systems and processes are in place, all you need to focus on is how to implement a “traffic loop”.
Let’s walk through an example of implementing, optimizing, and automating a traffic loop. Take a look at the chart below …
(An effective traffic loop)
Increase Reach And Visibility Online
The first step of the process is to get your business exposed to as many potential users as possible.
- An expertly configured WordPress site will allow you to instantly notify and publicize your content to social media accounts like Facebook, Twitter, GooglePlus, etc. The easiest way to increase your reach and visibility online, therefore, is to simply publish more content.
- As mentioned earlier, investing in some paid advertising can help generate data, which you can use to create web content targeted specifically to your audience’s needs.
- Repurpose your content to leverage the power and reach of different media formats.
- Continue learning about ways to bring more website traffic using methods like Twitter, banner ads, forum signatures, etc.
Tools And Methods
We’ve already covered many useful plugins, tools, and methods in earlier sections of this article series.
Also, ask us about plugins that allow you to easily add the following to your website:
- Share your comments and posts online,
- Run contests, offer discounts or downloads for shares/likes,
- Display user generated content, feeds, etc.
- Publish and distribute content online in various media formats (e.g. videos, PDF guides, slides, etc.)
Build Authority And Credibility
Getting more content out there is a great first step, but to make this activity more effective, your content also needs to be building authority and credibility with users.
Publishing authoritative content not only helps to establish your credibility, it also improves your chances of getting more shares and views and hence more visitors.
- Focus on creating content that will add value to users and showcase your expertise. This includes content that educates and informs readers, training content, case studies, adding testimonials, etc.
- Consider publishing expert guides that you can sell or distribute online.
Tools, Plugins, And Strategies
We have created a detailed course on content creation that you can plug into for free here:
Also, if you haven’t already, see other posts and tutorials on this site to learn more about plugins that let you easily add the following to your WordPress website or blog:
- Legal Pages
- Customer Support (e.g. Helpdesk, Live Chat, etc.)
- User Reviews
- Badges/Certificates Of Trust
Grow Influence And Engagement
At some point, you may want to consider developing “traffic on demand.” You can achieve this by building a list or starting a network.
With “Traffic On Tap,” most of your traffic will come from customers or subscribers – people who already like you and trust you. Your influence and credibility can be used to generate new traffic with a single post or broadcast.
- Encourage commenting and discussions on your site.
- Add an autoresponder training course and encourage people to subscribe.
- Add a paid or free membership site.
- Create or join an online group on Facebook/LinkedIn.
Tools & Strategies
Many solutions and plugins are available that are easy to implement and can help increase your influence and improve engagement. For example:
- List-Building Software (e.g. Aweber, GetResponse, etc.)
- Contact Forms, Live Chat
- Forums & Social Communities (e.g. bbPress, BuddyPress)
- Polls and Surveys
- Webinars (e.g. Webinar JEO)
- Comment sharing
- Add media, video galleries, etc.
Identify Needs & Provide Solutions To These
By taking advantage of incoming traffic to find out what problems your visitors are trying to solve, you can develop new services and products, all of which can provide you with new opportunities for generating new sources of traffic.
- Consider creating a free or paid e-learning course.
- Consider publishing a special report or PDF guide that you can sell or distribute online.
- Consider adding e-commerce to your site.
Plugins, Tools, & Strategies
If you plan to provide services, products, and solutions online (as opposed to just providing information), then some of the more useful plugins you may want to consider adding to your website include:
- Membership Sites (e.g. Wishlist Member, S2 Member, etc.)
- Learning Management Systems (e.g. Courseware)
- Event Registrations (e.g. EventEspresso)
Analyze Data & Feedback
The final step of the process is to collect and analyze data. Learning to gather and interpret data from existing traffic allows you to discover new ways to create content that can help you generate additional traffic.
Hopefully, by now you already have installed an analytics tool (e.g. Google Analytics) on your website. Make sure you also learn how to interpret the data.
WordPress Traffic System – Summary
Once you implement the above strategies, all you have to do is rinse and repeat, fine-tuning and refining your methods as you go to grow your traffic and improve your results.
- Begin with an expertly configured WordPress site backed by solid marketing, technical and business systems,
- Implement a content marketing strategy (with some paid advertising to drive traffic and generate useful data) to increase your reach and visibility online,
- Add plugins, list-building strategies, and other solutions as needed to help build authority and credibility, and also to improve engagement with users,
- Promote any new solutions, products or services using your existing channels and strategies to generate additional streams of traffic,
- Analyse your data and your results, automate your processes wherever possible, and begin the cycle again.
Hopefully, this information has given you a blueprint that will help you drive more visitors automatically to your web site and get better results online.
"This is AMAZING! I had learnt about how to use WordPress previously, but this covers absolutely everything and more!! Incredible value! Thank you!" - Monique, Warrior Forum