Welcome to Part 5 of our WordPress Web Traffic Blueprint article series, where we explain how to automate traffic to your site using WordPress.
So far, we have covered the following in this article series:
In Part 1 of this article series, we described the traffic automation process, and explained why using an expertly configured WordPress website or blog is the key to automating traffic to your website …
(With an expertly configured WordPress blog, all you have to do is post great content regularly to bring more traffic!)
In Part 2, we look at the setup phase. We help you understand the best way to start if you don’t have a website yet, how to set things up if you already have a site, and what to do if your existing site is built with WordPress.
(In Part 2 we show you how to set up a WordPress site on your domain)
In Part Three, we discuss the configuration phase. We configured webhosting settings, WordPress settings, and external settings that affect your website’s ability to generate traffic automatically …
(In Part Three you will configure all the settings that affect your website’s ability to generate traffic automatically)
In Part 4, we discussed ways to automate the traffic-generation process using various WordPress plugins.
(Publish once, automate the rest!)
In this article, we look at ways to optimize traffic to your website with a number of different tools and strategies.
WordPress Traffic Automation System – Systems
In addition to getting your WordPress website expertly configured, generating targeted traffic on a consistent basis is the product of a clearly-defined business vision, careful digital planning, and good systems and process in place.
(Generating automated traffic is the result of a business vision, planning, and great systems)
Let’s review the systems that will help you grow and manage new traffic.
These systems include:
- Marketing Systems – The processes and methods used to create traffic for your website.
- Technical Systems – How you keep your digital presence optimized for receiving traffic.
- Business Systems – How you manage and respond to traffic.
(Use systems to grow and manage your web traffic)
Let’s briefly review how important the above systems are:
Your marketing systems consist of the processes and methods used to drive new traffic to your business. You can test your online marketing systems by asking questions such as:
- What channels will you use to drive new traffic (e.g. blogging, video marketing, etc)?
- How will you assign your budget and resources to these channels?
- Who will create and optimize your content, sales funnels, and marketing campaigns?
- How will you measure the ROI of your online campaigns?
During the setup and configuration phase, you would have installed an analytics program (e.g. Google Analytics). If you’re just starting out, you may want to consider investing in some paid advertising (e.g. Facebook ads) to help generate some results. If you’re tracking your marketing campaigns correctly, this should yield some actionable data, such as the keywords people are searching online to find your website, which you can use to create content better targeted to your audience.
Your technical systems and processes keep your online presence operating efficiently for receiving new traffic. There’s no point driving traffic to your site if your site is down or your web pages take a long time to load.
Your systems include handling technical areas like webhosting, site maintenance and support, installing, configuring, and updating software (e.g. plugins), customization, integration, troubleshooting, etc.
You can test your technical systems by questions such as:
- Who is looking after my server?
- Who looks after my website and keeps my site maintained and up-to-date?
- Who will fix errors, troubleshoot problems, provide technical support and advice, etc. if you experience difficulties?
Many potential problems can be minimized if your planning and setup and configuration phases have been completed correctly. Like all technology, however, new problems will always arise. Your technical systems need to be robust enough to handle these.
You need good business systems to help you manage new traffic. These include:
- Communication systems
- Managing human and financial resources
- Handling leads and sales enquiries
- Order fulfillment
- Customer training/service
If you intend to outsource your digital marketing and technical support, then you will need good systems in place to manage all outsourcing.
WordPress Web Traffic Automation System – Traffic Loops
If your business objectives are clear and your systems and processes are in place, all you need to focus on is how to grow a “traffic loop”.
Let’s go through an example of implementing, optimizing, and further automating a traffic loop. Take a look at the chart below …
(Implement and optimize a traffic loop)
Increase Reach And Visibility Online
The first step of the process is to get your business exposed to as many traffic generation sites and channels as possible.
- An expertly configured WordPress site will allow you to automatically publish your content on sites like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc. The easiest way to increase your reach and visibility online, therefore, is to simply publish more content online.
- As mentioned earlier, investing in some paid advertising can help generate some initial data, which you can use to create web content targeted specifically to your audience.
- Repurpose your content to leverage different media formats.
- Continue learning about ways to drive traffic using methods like paid ads, social media, joint ventures, etc.
Plugins, Tools, And Methods
We’ve already covered many excellent tools and methods in previous sections of this tutorial series.
Also, if you haven’t already, see other posts on this site to learn more about WordPress plugins that allow you to easily add the following to your website or blog:
- Share your comments and posts online with others,
- Run contests, offer discounts or downloads for likes/shares,
- Add user generated content, feeds, etc.
- Distribute content online in different media formats (e.g. videos, PDF guides, infographics, etc.)
Build Authority & Credibility
Getting more content published is good, but to make this more effective, your content also needs to build authority and credibility with visitors.
Publishing authoritative content not only helps to establish your credibility, it also improves your chances of getting it shared on other sites and hence more traffic.
- Create and publish content that will add value to potential visitors and showcase your expertise. This includes content that educates and informs readers, training content, case studies, adding testimonials, etc.
- Consider publishing expert guides that you can sell or distribute online (e.g. sell on on the Amazon Kindle store.
Tools & Methods
If you need help coming up with endless great ideas for content that you can post on your site, then subscribe to our FREE email training series here:
Also, if you haven’t already, see other posts and tutorials on this site to learn more about WordPress plugins that let you easily add the following to your website:
- Legal Pages
- Customer Support (e.g. Helpdesk, Live Chat, etc.)
- User Reviews
- Badges/Certificates Of Trust
Grow Influence & Engagement
At some point, you may want to consider developing “traffic on tap.” You can achieve this by building a list or starting an online forum, membership site, or even your own social network.
With “Traffic On Tap,” most of your traffic comes from an audience of existing customers or subscribers – people who already like you and trust you. Your influence and credibility can be used to generate traffic with a single post or broadcast.
Useful Tips & Ideas
- Encourage visitors to leave comments and start discussions on your site.
- Add an email training course and encourage people to subscribe.
- Add a free or paid membership site, online forum, or social community.
- Start or join an online group on LinkedIn.
Tools, Plugins, & Methods
Many solutions and plugins are available that are easy to implement and can help grow your online influence and improve user engagement. For example:
- Autoresponders (e.g. Aweber, GetResponse, etc.)
- Contact Forms, Live Chat
- Forums and Social Communities (e.g. bbPress, BuddyPress)
- Polls and Surveys
- Webinars (e.g. Webinar JEO)
- Comment sharing
- Add media, image galleries, etc.
Identify Needs/Problems & Provide Solutions To These
By taking advantage of incoming traffic to discover what your visitors are looking for, you can have an endless funnel of ideas for developing new services and products, all of which can provide you with new opportunities to generate new sources of traffic.
Useful Tips & Ideas
- Create a free or paid online training program.
- Publish educational guides or special reports that you can sell or distribute online (e.g. sell on Clickbank.
- Consider adding an e-commerce store to your site.
Plugins, Tools, & Methods
If you plan to provide products and services online (as opposed to just providing information), look for plugins that allow you to easily add the following to your website or blog:
- Membership Sites (e.g. Wishlist Member, S2 Member, etc.)
- e-Learning Courses (e.g. Courseware)
- Event Registrations (e.g. EventEspresso)
Analyze Data & Feedback
The final step of the process is the collection and analysis of data. Learning to interpret data gathered from existing traffic lets you discover new opportunities to generate additional traffic.
You should have already installed an analytics program (e.g. Google Analytics) on your site. Make sure you understand the metrics and features and can interpret the data.
WordPress Web Traffic Automation System – Summary
Once you implement the above strategies, all you have to do is repeat the same process, fine-tuning and refining your methods as you go to grow your traffic and get better your results.
- Begin with an expertly configured WordPress site backed by good marketing, technical and business systems,
- Implement a content marketing strategy (with some paid advertising to drive initial traffic and generate useful data) to increase your reach and visibility online,
- Add plugins, list-building strategies, and other solutions if necessary to build authority, trust, and credibility, and also to improve engagement with users,
- Promote any new solutions, products or services using your existing channels and strategies to generate additional streams of traffic,
- Analyse your data and your results, automate your processes wherever possible, and begin the cycle again.
Hopefully, now you have a blueprint that will help you automate and optimize the process of driving traffic to your web site and improve your business online.
"This is AMAZING! I had learnt about how to use WordPress previously, but this covers absolutely everything and more!! Incredible value! Thank you!" - Monique, Warrior Forum