Welcome to Part 5 of our WordPress Web Traffic Blueprint article series, where we explain how to turn a website into an automated traffic generating machine using the WordPress CMS platform.
So far, we have covered the following in this article series:
In Part One, we provide an overview of the traffic automation process, and explain why using an expertly configured WordPress website is the key to automating traffic to your site …
(With an expertly configured WordPress website or blog, all you have to do is add web content regularly to start driving traffic!)
In Part 2, we looked at the setup phase of the blueprint. We helped you understand the best way to start if you don’t have a web presence yet, how to set things up if you already have a site, and what to do if your site has been built using WordPress.
(In Part two we show you where to set up a WordPress website on your domain)
In Part 3, we discussed configuring the system. We configured webhosting settings, WordPress settings, and external settings that can affect your website’s traffic-getting ability …
(In Part Three you learn how to configure all the settings that affect your site’s traffic-getting ability)
In Part 4, we looked at ways to automate traffic to your website using various plugins.
(Publish once to WordPress and automate the distribution of your content to all other marketing channels!)
In Part 5 of the WordPress web traffic automation blueprint article series, we discuss ways to optimize traffic generation with a number of different tools and strategies.
WordPress Web Traffic Automation System – Traffic Optimization Systems
In addition to getting your WordPress website expertly configured, generating quality traffic consistently is achieved by having a clearly-defined business vision, great digital planning, and good systems and process in place.
(Optimizing traffic is the result of a business vision, planning, and great systems)
Let’s review the systems that will help you grow and manage your new traffic.
- Marketing Systems – How you create new traffic for your website.
- Technical Systems – How you keep your web presence optimized for receiving traffic.
- Business Systems – How you manage and respond to new traffic.
(Use systems to grow, automate, and manage your web traffic)
Let’s review the above systems briefly:
Your marketing systems consist of the processes and methods used to create new traffic for your website. Your online marketing systems can be tested by asking questions such as:
- What channels do you plan to use to generate new traffic (e.g. blogging, video marketing, etc)?
- How will you apply your budget and resources to your marketing channels?
- How will you create your content, sales funnels, and marketing campaigns?
- How will you test and measure the ROI of your online campaigns?
During the setup and configuration phase, you would have installed an analytics program (e.g. Google Analytics). If you’re just starting out, you may want to consider investing in some paid advertising (e.g. Google AdWords) to help generate some actionable data, such as the keywords people are searching online to find your website, which you can use to create content better targeted to your audience.
Your technical systems ensure that your web presence remains up and running for receiving new traffic. There’s no point sending traffic to your website if your site is experiencing problems or your web pages are taking too long to load.
Your systems include handling technical areas like webhosting, website maintenance and support, installing and updating software (e.g. plugins), customization, integration, troubleshooting, etc.
You can test your technical systems by questions such as:
- Who looks after my webhosting?
- Who looks after my website and keeps my site maintained and up-to-date?
- Who will fix errors, troubleshoot problems, provide technical support and advice, etc. when issues arise?
Many potential issues can be minimized if your website planning and setup and configuration phases have been completed correctly. Like all technology, however, new problems will always arise. Your technical systems need to be robust enough to handle these.
Your business systems help you manage new traffic. These include:
- Communication systems
- Resources management – human, financial
- Handling sales enquiries
- Order fulfillment
- Customer training/service
If you intend to outsource your digital marketing and technical services, then you will need systems in place to manage all outsourcing.
WordPress Web Traffic Blueprint – Traffic Loops
With clear business objectives and great systems in place, all you need to do is to implement a “traffic loop”.
Let’s walk through an example of implementing, optimizing, and automating a traffic loop. Take a look at the processes illustrated below …
(Implementing and optimizing a traffic loop)
Increase Reach And Visibility
The first step of the process is to get your business exposed to as many traffic generation sites and channels as your resources will allow.
Useful Tips And Ideas
- Your expertly configured WordPress site will allow you to instantly share your content on social media accounts like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. The easiest way to increase your reach and visibility online, therefore, is to simply publish more content on your site.
- As mentioned earlier, investing in some paid advertising (e.g. Google AdWords) can help you generate actionable and intelligent data, which you can use to create content better targeted to your audience’s needs.
- Repurpose your content to leverage the power, appeal, and reach of different media formats.
- Continue learning about ways to attract web visitors using methods like Pinterest advertising, podcasts, Reddit, etc.
Tools, Plugins, & Methods
We’ve already covered many excellent plugins, tools, and strategies in earlier sections of this tutorial series.
Also, if you haven’t already, look for plugins that let you easily add the following to your website:
- Share your comments and posts online with others,
- Run contests, offer discounts/downloads for shares/likes,
- Add user generated content, feeds, etc.
- Distribute content online in various media formats (e.g. videos, PDF guides, slides, etc.)
Build Authority & Credibility
Getting more content out there is good, but for this activity to be really effective, your content needs to be building authority and credibility with users.
Publishing higher quality content not only helps to establish your credibility, it also improves your chances of getting more views from social sharing and hence more visitors.
- Create and publish content that will add value to your audience and showcase your expertise. This includes content that educates and informs readers, training content, user reviews, adding testimonials, etc.
- Consider publishing a “how to” guide that can be sold or distributed online.
Tools, Plugins, And Strategies
We have created a comprehensive course on how to develop a content marketing strategy, how to promote your business with content, content creation tools, and how to never run out of new content ideas that you can plug into for free here:
Also, if you haven’t already, look for WordPress plugins that allow you to easily add the following to your website:
- Legal Pages
- Customer Support (e.g. Helpdesk, Live Chat, etc.)
- User Reviews
- Badges/Certificates Of Recognition
Grow Influence & Engagement
As your business grows, you may want to consider developing “traffic on demand.” You can do this by building a list or starting a forum or network.
With “Traffic On Tap,” all of your traffic comes from an audience of existing customers or subscribers – people who already like you and trust you. Your influence and credibility can be used to generate new traffic with every blog post you publish or email you send out.
- Encourage users to leave comments and start discussions on your site.
- Add an autoresponder training course and encourage people to subscribe.
- Add a paid or free membership site, online forum, or social community.
- Start or join an online group on LinkedIn/Facebook.
Tools And Strategies
There are many solutions and WordPress plugins that can help increase your online influence and improve user engagement. For example:
- Autoresponders (e.g. Aweber, MailChimp, etc.)
- Contact Forms, Live Chat
- Forums and Discussion Groups (e.g. bbPress, BuddyPress)
- Polls & Surveys
- Webinars (e.g. Webinar JEO)
- Comment sharing
- Add media, image galleries, etc.
Identify Problems & Provide Solutions To These
If you take advantage of incoming traffic to find out what problems your users are trying to solve, you should have no problem coming up with ideas for new products and services, all of which can provide you with new opportunities for generating new sources of web traffic.
- Create a free or paid online training program.
- Consider publishing an e-book that you can sell or distribute online (e.g. sell on Amazon.
- Consider adding e-commerce to your site.
Plugins, Tools, And Strategies
If you plan to provide solutions online (as opposed to just providing information), see other posts on this site to learn more about plugins that allow you to easily add the following to your website:
- Membership Sites (e.g. Wishlist Member, S2 Member, etc.)
- e-Learning Courses (e.g. Courseware)
- Event Registrations (e.g. EventEspresso)
Analyze Data & Feedback
The final step of the process is to collect and analyze data. Gathering and interpreting data from existing traffic allows you to discover new opportunities to generate additional traffic.
You should have already installed an analytics program (e.g. Google Analytics) on your website. Make sure you understand the metrics and can interpret the data.
WordPress Traffic Blueprint – Summary
Once you implement the above strategies, all you have to do is rinse and repeat, fine-tuning and refining your methods as you go to grow your traffic and improve your results.
- Begin with an expertly configured WordPress site backed by solid marketing, technical and business systems,
- Implement a content marketing strategy (consider adding some paid advertising to drive traffic and generate useful data) to increase your reach and visibility online,
- Add plugins, list-building strategies, and other methods if required to help build authority and credibility, and also to improve engagement with visitors,
- Promote any new solutions, products or services using your existing channels and strategies to generate additional streams of traffic,
- Analyse your data and your results, automate your processes wherever possible, and begin the cycle again.
Hopefully, this post has given you a blueprint that will help you drive more traffic automatically to your website and improve your business online.
"I was absolutely amazed at the scope and breadth of these tutorials! The most in-depth training I have ever received on any subject!" - Myke O'Neill, DailyGreenPost.com