Welcome to Part Five of our Website Traffic Blueprint article series, where we show you how to grow your business online automatically using WordPress.
So far, here is what we have covered in this series:
In Part One of this series, we provided an overview of the traffic automation process, and explained why using an expertly configured WordPress website or blog is the key to automating traffic to your site …
(With an expertly configured WordPress web site, all you have to do is post new content regularly to automatically start generating more traffic!)
In Part 2, we discuss critical setup decisions. We explain the best way to start if you don’t have a web presence yet, how to set things up if you already have a site, and what to do if your website was built using WordPress.
(In Part 2 we show you where to set up WordPress on your domain)
In Part 3, we looked at configuring the system. We explained how to configure all the settings (hosting, WordPress and external) that can affect your site’s traffic-getting ability …
(In Part Three we show you how to configure all the settings (hosting, WordPress and external) that can affect your site’s ability to generate traffic automatically)
In Part Four, you learned how to set up various WordPress plugins that can help drive traffic automatically to your website or blog as you begin adding web content on a consistent basis.
(Publish once to WordPress and automate your content distribution to all other channels!)
In Part Five of the WordPress web traffic automation blueprint article series, we look at ways to optimize traffic generation with a number of different tools and strategies.
WordPress Web Traffic Automation System – Traffic Optimization Systems
In addition to having an expertly configured WordPress site, the key to generating consistent traffic of high quality is having a well-defined business vision, sound digital planning, and great systems and process in place.
(Optimized traffic is the result of a business vision, sound planning, and excellent systems)
Let’s review the systems that will help you grow and manage your traffic.
- Marketing Systems – How you drive new traffic to your business.
- Technical Systems – The systems used to ensure that your digital presence remains operating efficiently for receiving traffic.
- Business Systems – The systems and processes used to manage and respond to new traffic.
(Systems help you grow, automate, optimize, and manage your traffic)
Let’s review the importance of the above systems briefly:
Your marketing systems consist of the processes and methods used to create new traffic for your website. You can test your online marketing systems by asking questions such as:
- What channels will you use to drive new traffic (e.g. blogging, PPC advertising, video marketing, etc)?
- What resources and portion of your budget will you assign to your marketing channels?
- How will you create your content and run your marketing campaigns?
- How will you measure the results of your campaigns?
During the setup and configuration phase, you would have installed an analytics program (e.g. Google Analytics). If you’re just starting out, you may want to consider investing in some paid advertising to help you generate some intelligence. If you’re tracking your marketing campaigns correctly, this should yield some actionable data, such as the keyword phrases people are searching online to find your website, which you can use to create web content targeted specifically to your audience.
Your technical systems keep your web presence up and running for receiving traffic. There’s no point sending traffic to your website if your site is down or your web pages are taking a long time to load.
Your technical systems need to adequately handle areas like webhosting, site maintenance and support, installing and updating software (e.g. plugins), customization, integration, troubleshooting, etc.
You can test your technical systems by questions such as:
- Who will look after my webhosting?
- Who will look after my website and keep my site, plugins, themes, etc. maintained and up-to-date?
- Who will fix errors, troubleshoot problems, provide technical support and advice, etc. should things go wrong?
Many potential problems can be minimized if your website planning and setup and configuration phases have been done correctly. Like all technology, however, you can expect problems. Your technical systems need to be robust enough to handle these.
Your business systems help you manage and respond to new traffic. This includes:
- Communication systems
- Managing human and financial resources
- Handling sales enquiries
- Order fulfillment
- Customer training/service
If you plan to outsource your digital marketing and technical services, then make sure you have implemented great systems to manage all outsourcing processes.
WordPress Traffic System – Traffic Loops
If your business objectives are clear and your systems and processes are in place, all you need to focus your efforts on is growing and optimizing a “traffic loop”.
Let’s go through an example of how to implement, optimize, and further automate a traffic loop. Take a look at the diagram below …
Increase Reach & Visibility Online
Step 1 of the process is to get your business exposed to as many traffic generation sites and channels as your time and resources will allow.
- An expertly configured WordPress site will allow you to instantly notify and publicize your content to social media accounts like Facebook, Twitter, GooglePlus, etc. The easiest way to increase your reach and visibility online, therefore, is to simply publish more content through your expertly configured WordPress site.
- As mentioned earlier, investing in some paid advertising (e.g. Facebook ads) can help you generate some initial actionable data, which you can use to create content targeted specifically to your audience.
- Repurpose your content to leverage different media formats.
- Continue learning about ways to attract more web visitors using methods like paid ads, solo ads, StumbleUpon, etc.
Tools, Plugins, And Methods
We’ve already covered many excellent plugins, tools, and methods in earlier sections of this tutorial series.
Also, learn more about plugins that allow you to easily add the following to your WordPress site:
- Share your posts online with others,
- Run contests, offer discounts or downloads for likes/shares,
- Add user generated content, feeds, etc.
- Publish and distribute content online in different media formats (e.g. videos, PDF guides, slides, etc.)
Build Authority & Credibility
Getting more of your content published is good, but for this activity to be really effective, your content needs to be building authority and credibility with your audience.
Publishing authoritative content improves your chances of getting more views from social sharing and hence more visitors.
Traffic Optimization Tips
- Focus on creating and publishing content that adds value to potential users and that showcases your expertise. This includes content that informs and educates readers, training content, user reviews, adding testimonials, etc.
- Consider publishing PDF guides that you can sell or distribute online.
Tools, Plugins, & Strategies
We have created a detailed email course on how to develop a content marketing strategy, how to promote your business with content, content creation tools, and ways to never run out of ideas for content that you can plug into at no cost here:
Also, if you haven’t already, learn more about plugins that let you easily add the following to your website or blog:
- Legal Pages
- Customer Support (e.g. Helpdesk, Live Chat, etc.)
- User Reviews
- Badges/Certificates Of Recognition
Grow Influence & Engagement
At some point, you may want to consider developing “traffic on demand.” You can achieve this by growing a list or starting an online forum, community, or even your own social network.
With “Traffic On Demand,” all of your traffic comes from customers or subscribers – people who already know you and trust you. Your influence and credibility can be used to generate new traffic with a single blog post or email.
Useful Tips And Ideas
- Encourage commenting and discussions on your site.
- Add an autoresponder training course and encourage people to subscribe.
- Add a free or paid membership site.
- Create or join an online group on LinkedIn.
Tools, Plugins, And Methods
Many solutions and plugins are available that can help grow your online influence and improve user engagement. For example:
- Autoresponders (e.g. Aweber, GetResponse, etc.)
- Contact Forms, Live Chat
- Forums and Discussion Groups (e.g. bbPress, BuddyPress)
- Polls and Surveys
- Webinars (e.g. Webinar JEO)
- Comment sharing
- Add media, video galleries, etc.
Identify Needs & Provide Solutions To These
If you take advantage of incoming traffic to listen to what problems your visitors are trying to solve, you can have an endless funnel of ideas for new products and services, all of which provide new opportunities for generating additional web traffic.
- Consider creating a free or paid online training course.
- Publish special guides that you can sell or distribute online (e.g. sell on Clickbank.
- Add e-commerce to your business.
Tools, Plugins, & Methods
If you plan to provide services, products, and solutions online (as opposed to just providing information), then some of the more useful plugins you may want to add to your site include:
- Membership Site plugins (e.g. Wishlist Member, S2 Member, etc.)
- e-Learning Courses (e.g. Courseware)
- Event Registrations (e.g. EventEspresso)
Analyze Data & Feedback
The final step of the process is the collection and analysis of data. By learning to interpret data gathered from existing traffic, you can discover new traffic opportunities.
Hopefully, by now you already have installed an analytics tool (e.g. Google Analytics) on your site. Make sure you can also understand the data.
WordPress Traffic Automation System – Summary
All you have to do once you implement the above strategies is repeat the process over and over again, fine-tuning and refining your methods as you go to grow your traffic and improve your results.
- Start with an expertly configured WordPress site backed by solid marketing, technical and business systems,
- Implement a content marketing strategy (consider also investing in some paid advertising to drive traffic and generate useful data) to increase your reach and visibility online,
- Add plugins, list-building strategies, and other methods if necessary to help build authority, trust, and credibility, and also to improve engagement with users,
- Promote any new solutions, products or services using your existing channels and strategies to generate additional streams of traffic,
- Analyse your data and your results, automate your processes wherever possible, and begin the cycle again.
Hopefully, now you have a blueprint that will help you drive more traffic automatically to your WordPress web site and build a better business online.
"Your training is the best in the world! It is simple, yet detailed, direct, understandable, memorable, and complete." Andrea Adams, FinancialJourney.org