If your website doesn’t comply with laws intended to protect consumers, you’re breaking the law.
Being non-compliant not only puts you at risk of incurring significant financial loss, but also the loss of your reputation. Why risk your money and your business reputation, when you can protect yourself so inexpensively?
In this article, we look at a simple and cost-effective WordPress solution that can help make your website legally compliant just minutes.
Is Your Website Or Blog Legally Compliant?
As the digital business realm continues growing at breakneck speed and rules constantly change, it’s important that you stay on top of what’s happening and to make sure that your website or blog remains compliant with all laws and regulations, especially if your digital presence is an integral component of your business strategy.
If there are no legal pages on your website (e.g. terms of service, privacy statement, earning disclaimers, etc.), many third-party sites such as Google won’t let you advertise, digital marketplaces like ClickBank won’t approve your digital products for sale, PayPal could close down your account and freeze your funds, Facebook could suspend your web applications, and you won’t be accepted into a range of leading advertising or merchant networks.
If your digital presence is not in compliance, you could also end up facing a multitude of penalties, including fines, having your website shut down, even jail time!
At the very least, without making it very clear to your visitors that your web properties comply with all legal requirements and regulatory guidelines, visitors may lose trust and confidence in your business.
(In addition to legal and regulatory compliance, most third-party websites require you to comply with their policies!)
Legal Disclaimer: We are not lawyers and we are not offering legal advice here.
The purpose of this article is to make you aware that:
- Your website could be subject to many legal requirements in accordance with the laws and regulations that govern your business (some of which you may not even be aware of),
- The importance of maintaining compliance with the terms of service of third-party providers whose products or services you may be promoting or endorsing on your website, and
- There are solutions for WordPress website owners that can help your website become more compliant, such as the plugin that we discuss in this article.
In this article, you will learn about a complete compliance and disclaimer plugin for a WordPress-based web presence.
Today’s WordPress Plugin Is …
Compliance Bar – WordPress Plugin For Website Compliance
Compliance Bar is a simple and easy-to-install WordPress plugin that includes over twenty customizable legal pages for your digital presence …
For more details go here: Compliance Bar
Below we have listed just a few of the benefits and advantages of using Compliance Bar to instantly make your web site legally compliant:
Quick And Simple To Install And Implement. Ready To Use In No Time.
Compliance Bar Plugin installs like every WordPress plugin. Simply upload the plugin file to your Plugins folder via your admin user section and activate.
Easy To Edit Page Templates
Easily modify the prebuilt compliance page templates inside Compliance Bar from the settings menu using the WordPress WYSIWYG editor.
24/7 Plugin Support
Compliance Bar provides a dedicated plugin support team to assist you if you experience any problems.
Some additional plugin benefits include:
- Customized Legal Templates: The Compliance Bar plugin creates your legal pages in seconds and customizes them to your business and website.
- Video Training Library: Compliance Bar is not complicated to use - a full library of training videos is available.
- Can Be Used In Every Country: As long as you consult a qualified legal representative to ascertain if the default templates provided in Compliance Bar are suitable and satisfactory for your business, country and website, you can use the plugin wherever your business is located.
- Can Be Used In All Niches: If your website runs on WordPress, you can use the plugin for all website purposes. Just select the templates you want to include in your site and leave out unnecessary pages.
Compliance Bar Features
Compliance Bar offers a number of features to WP users. Below we have listed just some:
- Fast and simple to install and configure. Be up and running in no time.
- Show Attractive Icons – The plugin will display links to your legal pages in the form of attractive icons that can be placed on different locations on your page. You can also upload icons of your choice.
- Show Sensitive Information – If your site has content that should be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. information related to alcohol, tobacco, dating, etc.), you can display popups that force users to accept your website’s terms and disclaimers.
- EU User Cookie Compliance – If your business is based in the EU or display your content to visitors in the EU, you must make users aware of your user cookies and notify them of how you use them. Compliance Bar displays an attractive bar that notifies visitors and covers your business from non-compliance.
- Records And Stores IP Acceptance – The plugin records and stores the IP addresses of your visitors for future reference, just in case someone accepts your terms or disclaimers and then claims otherwise.
- Shortcode Driven – Compliance Bar is integrated with shortcodes to populate compliance pages with your personal information. These shortcodes also allow you to place information anywhere on your site or blog, (including the popups).
- Compatible With Mobile Devices – Compliance Bar has individual settings for displaying on mobile devices and can display mobile optimized icons automatically based on visitor mobile browsers.
Plugin Features – Details
After installing and activating the Compliance Bar plugin, you will then have access to a section where the plugin’s settings can be configured.
Let’s briefly review these areas …
There are a number of default fields in this area where you can enter your business information into entered (e.g. “Business Name,” “Support Desk URL,” “Location Details,” “Market Niche,” etc.). Not all categories are required, but some are (e.g. “Website URL,” “Company Phone Number,” etc.)
(Compliance Bar User Profile Section – Image source: plugin documentation)
Compliance Bar uses shortcodes to populate and display the information from your User Profile into your legal pages …
(Compliance Bar User Profile Screen: Shortcodes – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
Once the minimum required (i.e. compulsory) data has been entered into the plugin settings fields, you can then access the other sections of the plugin.
The “Compliance Pages” screen lists all of the legal page templates …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Legal Page Templates – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Last time we checked the plugin website, there were over 22 compliance templates available for complying with online business laws and regulations:
- About Us
- AdSense Disclaimer
- Affiliate Agreements
- Affiliate Disclosure Statement
- Amazon Affiliate Disclaimer
- Anti-Spam Policy
- Contact Us
- Copyright/DCMA Notice
- Double Dart Cookies
- Earnings Disclaimer
- External Links Policy
- FTC Statement
- Legal Disclaimer
- Linking Policy
- Medical Disclaimer
- Returns/Refund Policy
- Terms & Conditions
- Testimonial Disclosure
- Adult Content Disclosure
You can easily create legal pages for your website by simply selecting check boxes and clicking the “Save” button on the “Compliance Pages” section …
(Compliance Bar: Legal Pages – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
Your legal pages will then be created and added under the “Pages” section of your site.
Compliance Bar Icons
The plugin comes with a built-in set of icons for referencing your legal pages …
The Compliance Bar icons are customizable. You can purchase an additional set of icons from the plugin developer, or create/upload your own to match the style of your site’s design …
(Compliance Bar: Compliance Template Icons – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
Edit / Delete Legal Page Templates
You can easily edit and delete the compliance templates in the “Compliance Pages” screen, just as you would any other page in WordPress …
(Compliance Bar: Edit Legal Page Templates – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
- Customizing is recommended, as the pages contain generic content.
- The plugin notifies you if it detects existing similar pages on your site (e.g. pages created before installing the plugin).
The plugin offers many options to customize the Compliance Bar, including position, displaying links or icon images, background colors and images, icon size, selecting which pages should be included in the Compliance Bar, whether or not to display the Compliance bar on your home page, which pages the Compliance Bar will display in, mobile settings, etc. …
(Compliance Bar Section: Create Bar – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
- You can create more than one Compliance Bar to show different disclaimers on different pages, or to cover a range of uses throughout your site.
- The plugin lets you display a Compliance Bar on the front page of your site, even if you are using particular theme frameworks (e.g. Genesis, Thesis or Woo), where the home page is specifically configured through the theme settings as a built-in template, and not as a “regular” WordPress page.
- Due to the smaller size of mobile device screens, you can only select up to a certain number of page icons to display if you turn Mobile Settings “on.”
Once you have configured your Compliance Bar settings, it displays links to your legal using a visually attractive icon bar on your site …
You have full control over the location on your pages where you would like to feature the compliance bar …
If you plan to show content that needs to be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. information related to alcohol, tobacco, adult content, etc.), you can display pop-ups that blocks access to users who do not accept your website’s terms and disclaimers.
The “Create Pop Up” tab lets you fully customize your pop ups …
(Pop Ups Section: Create Pop Up – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
You can create multiple customized Pop Ups for different pages, or to cover a multitude of uses throughout your site …
You can also specify a delay time if you don’t want Pop Ups to display as soon as visitors arrive, set a cookie duration to prevent Pop Ups from appearing again within a specific time period, and capture the IP addresses of visitors who accept your terms and disclaimers for future reference …
(Pop Ups Section: IP Log Details – Image source: plugin documentation)
If your business is based in Europe or display your content to EU visitors, you need to be aware of EU compliance requirements …
Compliance Bar lets you manage the settings for compliance with EU Cookies requirements, including the wording of your notification message and link text in the “EU Cookies” section …
(EU Cookies Screen: Manage Settings – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Compliance Bar has a non-intrusive way of notifying your visitors and covering you from non-compliance.
The “Page Templates” section, lists all of your legal templates and shortcodes, and lets you modify the page content …
The “General Settings” section, gives you access to general information, such as promoting and sharing the plugin and receiving plugin updates …
Here are a few of the testimonials and comments that plugin customers have written about Compliance Bar Plugin:
”When I got my hands on Compliance Bar, I knew I needed help to be compliant, but I had no idea how much danger I was in, nor did I know all of the different things I needed to be compliant. Once I installed Compliance Bar, I was able to very quickly add all the items I needed to ensure I didn’t end up getting fined by various agencies, or have my site pulled from Google. The best part is that getting it all set up took only minutes, and I know that I am far safer than I was. Compliance Bar is one of the best plugins I have used in a long time.” Ray Lane – (The Video Guy)
”If you are like me, you maybe have quite a few WordPress sites, all needing attention and most importantly, all needing to be on the right side of the law! I’ve tried several legal pages plugins and in pretty much every case, they let me down. They simply cause more work than they solve.To me, the answer should be simple. It should work and it should let me get on with building my site. After all, I know I NEED to do this stuff, but hey, I don’t really WANT to! So, for me, I don’t want those plugins that cause more work than they solve. Simple eh? Well now it is because Anton & John have just created this baby that is the answer to my needs. The Compliance Bar Plugin does what I need it to do then lets me get on with my empire building…Perfect!” Tony Grant (Portfolio Sports)
Compliance Bar Plugin Tips
Below are some extra ways to use Compliance Bar:
- Displaying compliance icons only on specific pages.
- Reducing refund disputes by clearly spelling out the refund terms before customers purchase.
- If your website includes content that is inappropriate for minors, you can force visitors to click to confirm that they are of legal age to access your content.
Compliance Bar Plugin Product Support
Plugin Developers provide users with dedicated support to assist users if they experience any difficulties. You also have access to complete video training manuals.
Additionally, your purchase is backed by a no-risk, thirty day, 200% money-back guarantee. If your version of Compliance Bar does not work within 30 days of purchase and it cannot be fixed within 48 hrs (M – F), your money will be refunded in double.
- Single License Edition – Can be installed on one site that you own. Price = $47 (Normally $127)
- Business Licensing – Can be installed on twenty-five of your own sites. Price = $67.00 (Normally $197).
- Developer Edition – Can be installed on all domains that you own. Can be installed on any client site for payment or part of a paid service. Cost = $97.00.
Please Note: Pricing details of this product depends on whether there are any promotions or limited-time special offers. When we last checked, the product retails for the pricing shown above. This may not be the actual price charged by the plugin seller when you visit the plugin site and there may be additional upsells or one-time offers after you’ve purchased.
Check the plugin’s website for the latest price: Compliance Bar – Compliance Plugin For WordPress
Additional Plugin Information
Legal Templates Reviewed By Lawyers – The plugin developers assure users on their website that all legal page templates have been reviewed and approved by a lawyer. Nonetheless, we highly recommend that you get legal advice from a qualified legal expert in your area for your peace of mind.
For a demo video showing plugin usage, including installation instructions and tutorials, FAQs, customer helpdesk, contact details and more, visit the Compliance Bar Plugin website.
The Bottom Line
Compliance Bar is an easy-to-use, simple and cost-effective solution for WordPress-driven sites. We recommend installing this plugin for WordPress users if you want immediate peace of mind and legal protection.
For complete details, check out the plugin here: Compliance Bar Plugin – Compliance Bar Plugin – WordPress Plugin For Website Compliance
Important: Once again, please note that we are not lawyers and we cannot offer legal advice on our website. Do your own due diligence and consult a legal expert about the best way of ensuring that your website is compliant with all legal requirements wherever your business is based.