Your digital presence has to comply with various laws and regulatory guidelines, some of which you may probably not even be aware of.
Being non-compliant puts you at risk of suffering significant financial losses and the cost to your reputation. Why risk your money and your business reputation, when you can protect yourself so inexpensively?
In this article, we look at a simple and easy-to-install WordPress solution that can help make your website compliant in minutes.
Is Your Website Legally Compliant?
As the cybersphere continues growing at breakneck speed and the rules are constantly changing, it’s vital that you stay informed about what’s going on and to make sure that your site remains compliant with all laws and regulations, especially if your online presence is an essential part of your overall business strategy.
If there are no legal pages on your site (e.g. terms of service, privacy statement, financial disclaimers, etc.), many sites such as Google won’t let you advertise, sites like ClickBank won’t approve your digital products on their network, PayPal may close down your account and withhold payment of your funds, Facebook will suspend your apps, and you won’t be allowed into most advertising and affiliate marketing networks.
If you are not in compliance, you could also face a multitude of penalties, including fines, having your website shut down, even jail time!
At the very least, if you don’t make it clear to your visitors that your website complies with legal requirements and regulations, it could impact on your visitors trust and confidence in doing business with you in the future.
(In addition to legal and regulatory compliance, almost all third-party websites require you to comply with their policies!)
Disclaimer: Please note that we are not lawyers and we are not offering legal advice here.
The purpose of this article is to make you aware that:
- Your website may be subject to various legal requirements in accordance with federal, state or local laws that govern your business (some of which you may probably not even be aware of),
- The importance of remaining compliant with the terms of service of third-party providers whose products or services you may be offering or endorsing on your website, and
- There are cost-effective solutions that can help your site become more compliant, such as the solution that we review below.
In this article, we review a simple plugin for WordPress users that provides a total compliance & disclaimer solution for your online business.
Today’s WordPress Plugin Is …
Compliance Bar – WordPress Plugin For Website Compliance
Compliance Bar is a simple and easy-to-use WordPress plugin with over 20 customizable legal templates for your site …
For more details go here: Compliance Bar Plugin
Compliance Bar Plugin Benefits
Here are just a few of the benefits and advantages of using Compliance Bar Plugin to make your site instantly legally compliant:
Be Up And Running In Minutes
Compliance Bar Plugin installs like any WP plugin. Just upload a zip folder that contains the plugin to your Plugins folder via your admin section and activate.
Compliance Page Templates Are Really Easy To Edit
You can easily modify the built-in compliance templates inside the plugin from the settings menu using the WYSIWYG content editor.
Dedicated 24/7 Plugin Support Team
The plugin develop provides dedicated 24/7 plugin support to help users with anything they need.
Additional benefits of using this plugin include the following:
- Customized Compliance Page Templates: The Compliance Bar plugin creates your legal pages in seconds and customizes them to your business and website.
- Video Training: Compliance Bar is not difficult to use - an entire library of training videos is provided if you need assistance.
- Can Be Used Anywhere In The World: As long as you consult a qualified legal representative to make sure that the default legal page templates provided with the plugin are suitable and satisfactory for your business, country and website, you can use the plugin anywhere in the world.
- Can Be Used On All WordPress Sites: If your website runs on WordPress, you can use the plugin for any website purpose. Just select the templates you want to add to your site and leave out irrelevant pages.
Compliance Bar Plugin offers a number of great features to site owners. Here are just a few of these:
- Fast and simple to install and set up. Be up and running in very little time.
- Display Attractive Icons – Display links to your legal pages in the form of attractive icons that can be placed anywhere in your page. You can also upload your own icons.
- Show Sensitive Information – If you plan to publish content that may be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. content related to alcohol, ecigs, adult, etc.), Compliance Bar can display pop-ups that force users to accept your terms and disclaimers.
- EU Cookie Compliance – If you are based in the EU or display your content to visitors in the EU, you need to be aware of EU compliance requirements. The plugin displays an attractive bar notifying your users and covering you from non-compliance.
- Records And Stores IP Addresses – Compliance Bar can record your visitors’ IP address for future reference, just in case someone accepts your terms or disclaimers and then claims they didn’t.
- Shortcode Driven – Compliance Bar uses shortcodes to automatically populate the templates with your personal information. These shortcodes also allow you to place information anywhere on your site or blog, (including the pop-ups).
- Works On All Mobile Devices – The plugin has settings for displaying on mobile devices and tablets and displays mobile optimized icons automatically based on the mobile browser being used.
Using The Plugin
Once the Compliance Bar plugin has been installed, you will then get access to various sections where you can configure the plugin’s settings.
Let’s review these settings briefly …
There are a number of default fields in this section where you can input your business information into input (e.g. “Business Name,” “Support Desk URL,” “Contact Phone,” “Niche Area,” etc.). Not all categories are required, but some are (e.g. “Business Name,” “Support Desk URL,” etc.)
(Compliance Bar User Profile Section – Image source: plugin documentation)
The Compliance Bar Plugin uses shortcodes to dynamically populate the information inside your page templates …
(Compliance Bar User Profile Page: Shortcodes – Image source: plugin documentation)
Once the minimum required (i.e. compulsory) data has been input into the plugin settings fields, users can then access the other plugin screens.
The “Compliance Pages” screen lists all of your pages …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Compliance Templates – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Here’s the full list of template pages made available by the Compliance Bar plugin last time we checked their site:
- About Us
- AdSense Disclaimer
- Affiliate Agreements
- Affiliate Disclosure Statement
- Amazon Affiliate Disclaimer
- Anti-Spam Policy
- Contact Us
- Copyright/DCMA Notice
- Double Dart Cookies
- Earnings Disclaimer
- External Links Policy
- FTC Statement
- Legal Disclaimer
- Linking Policy
- Medical Disclaimer
- Returns/Refund Policy
- Terms & Conditions
- Testimonial Disclosure
- Adult Content Disclosure
You can create legal pages for your website quickly and easily by simply selecting check boxes and clicking the “Save” button on the “Compliance Pages” tab …
(Compliance Bar: Compliance Pages – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
Your legal pages will then be created and added under your “Pages” section.
Compliance Bar Icons
The plugin comes with a default set of attractive icons for referencing your legal pages …
Icons are customizable. You can purchase an additional set of icons from the plugin developer, or create/upload your own to match the style of your theme …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Compliance Template Icons – Image source: plugin documentation)
Edit / Delete Legal Page Templates
You can easily modify and delete your compliance page templates from the “Compliance Pages” tab, just like any other WordPress page …
(Compliance Bar: Edit Legal Page Templates – Image source: plugin documentation)
- Customizing is recommended, as the pages contain generic content.
- The plugin will notify you if it detects existing similar pages on your site (e.g. pages created before installing the plugin).
You have various options to customize the Compliance Bar, including where to position the bar, displaying links or icon images, background colors and images, icon size, specifying which pages to include an icon for in the Compliance Bar, whether or not to display the Compliance bar on your main page, which pages the Compliance Bar will display in, mobile settings, and offset distance …
(Compliance Bar Section: Create Bar – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
- You can create more than one Compliance Bar to show different disclaimers on different pages, or to cover a range of uses throughout your website.
- The plugin allows you to display a Compliance Bar on the main page of your site, even if you are using particular themes (like Genesis, Thesis or WooThemes), where the home page is configured through the theme itself as a built-in template, and not as a “regular” page.
- Due to the smaller size of mobile screens, there is a limit to the number of page icons you can display if you turn Mobile Settings “on.”
Once you have specified your Compliance Bar settings, it displays links to your legal using dynamic icon bar on your site …
You have complete control over the location on your pages where you would like to display your compliance icons …
If you plan to publish content that needs to be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. content related to alcohol, tobacco, adult content, etc.), Compliance Bar can display pop-ups that force users to accept your site’s terms or disclaimers.
The “Create Pop Up” tab gives you full control over the settings and customization of your pop ups …
(Pop Ups Section: Create Pop Up – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
You can create more than one Pop Up displaying on different pages, or to cover different uses throughout your site …
You can also specify a delay time if you don’t want Pop Ups to display as soon as visitors arrive, set a cookie duration to prevent Pop Ups from displaying again within a specific time interval, and even record the IP addresses of visitors who accept your terms and disclaimers for future reference …
(Pop Ups Section: IP Log Details – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
If you do business in Europe or display your content to EU visitors, you need to be aware of EU compliance laws …
The plugin lets you edit the settings for compliance with EU Cookies requirements, including the wording of your notification message and link text in the “EU Cookies” section …
(EU Cookies Screen: Manage Settings – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
Compliance Bar has a non-intrusive way of notifying your visitors and covering you from non-compliance.
The “Page Templates” screen, lists all of your legal pages and shortcodes, and lets you modify the page content …
The “General Settings” area, gives you access to general information, such as promoting and sharing the plugin and receiving plugin update notifications …
Below are just a few of the testimonials and feedback that users have written about Compliance Bar:
”I got a chance to review the Compliance Bar plugin…WOW!! I have to say that its definitely one of the most NECESSARY, yet easiest to use plugin’s to hit the scene in a while. Very Solid Product. Great job Anton & team!” Shon Chris – Director (JV Peer Group)
“Don’t Risk Your Online Business” Mike Thomas (The Mike From Maine Show)
Compliance Bar – Useful Tips
Below are a few useful ways you can use The Compliance Bar Plugin:
- Display compliance icons only on specific pages of your site.
- Minimizing refund disputes by clearly spelling out refund terms before customers purchase.
- If you publish content that is deemed inappropriate for underaged viewers on your site, you can force visitors to click to confirm that they are of legal age to view your content.
Plugin Developers provide users with dedicated 24/7 plugin support to help you with anything you need. You also get access to an entire set of training videos.
Additionally, your purchase is backed by a no-risk, 30 day, 200% refund guarantee. If your copy of Compliance Bar does not work within 30 days of purchase and it cannot be fixed within 48 hrs (Monday to Friday), your cost of purchase will be refunded in double.
- Single Site Personal License – Install the plugin on 1 of your own sites. Price = $37 (Normally $127)
- Business – Install the plugin on 25 of your own sites. Price = $67.00 (Normally $197).
- Developer License Edition – Install the plugin on all as many of your own sites as you want. Can be installed on all client sites for payment or as part of a paid service. Cost = $97.00.
Note: The cost of purchasing the Compliance Bar Plugin software depends on whether there are any promotions or limited-time special offers. Currently, the plugin is selling for the prices shown above. This may not be the actual pricing charged by the software developer when you visit the site and there may be additional upsells or one-time offers after you’ve purchased.
Check the plugin’s website for current pricing details: Compliance Bar
Legal Templates Reviewed By Lawyers – The plugin developers state on their website that all legal templates have already been reviewed and approved by a leading lawyer. Nonetheless, we strongly recommend that you get legal advice from a qualified legal expert in your area to ensure that your site is fully compliant.
For a demo video showing plugin usage, including help documentation and tutorials, FAQs, customer helpdesk, contact details and more, visit the Compliance Bar website.
Install The Plugin
Compliance Bar is an easy-to-use, simple and cost-effective solution for WordPress-powered websites. We recommend installing this WordPress plugin if you want immediate peace of mind and legal protection.
For complete details, check out the plugin here: Compliance Bar – Compliance Bar Plugin – WordPress Plugin For Website Compliance
Important: Once again, please note that we are not lawyers and we are not offering legal advice on our website. Do your own due diligence and consult a legal expert about the best way of ensuring that your website is compliant with the law in your country or region.