Your digital presence must comply with a whole range of federal, state and even local laws and regulations, many of which you are probably not even aware of.
Being non-compliant puts you at risk of incurring serious financial losses and the cost to your reputation. Why risk your money and reputation, when you can protect yourself so inexpensively?
In this post, we review a simple and easy-to-install WordPress solution that can help make your website fully compliant in minutes.
Is Your Site Legally Compliant?
As the digital business realm continues to grow at breakneck speed and the rules of the game constantly change, it’s important to stay on top of what’s happening and to make sure that your website remains legally compliant, especially if your digital presence is a fundamental part of your business strategy.
If there are no legal pages on your site (e.g. terms of service, privacy statement, legal disclaimers, etc.), many third-party sites like Google won’t let you advertise, sites like ClickBank will not allow you to list your digital products for sale, PayPal could shut down your account and freeze your funds, Facebook could suspend your web apps, and you won’t be accepted into many leading advertising and affiliate marketing networks.
You may also be inadvertently leaving yourself open and vulnerable to being slapped with a lawsuit.
At the very least, if your digital presence is not in compliance, trust and confidence in your business could seriously diminish.
(In addition to legal and regulatory compliance, most 3rd-party websites require you to comply with their policies and guidelines!)
Legal Disclaimer: We are not lawyers and we cannot offer legal advice on our website.
The purpose of this post is to make you aware that:
- Your website could be subject to a number of legal requirements in accordance with mandatory laws that govern your business,
- How important it is to maintain compliance with the terms of service of third-party providers whose products or services you may be promoting or endorsing online, and
- There are solutions that can help your site become more compliant, such as the plugin that we discuss below.
In this article, you will learn about a simple WordPress plugin that provides a complete compliance and disclaimer solution for your digital business.
Today We Review …
Compliance Bar – WordPress Legal Plugin
Compliance Bar Plugin is a complete compliance & disclaimer solution for your web presence …
Go here to learn more about the plugin: Compliance Bar Plugin
Benefits Of Using Compliance Bar
Here we have listed just a few of the benefits of using Compliance Bar Plugin to instantly make your website compliant:
Ready To Start Using In Very Little Time
Compliance Bar Plugin installs just like any WordPress plugin. Just upload a zip file containing the plugin files to your Plugin folder via your WP dashboard and activate.
Easy-To-Edit Page Templates
Easily make changes to the pre-built templates inside Compliance Bar from the settings menu with the WYSIWYG content editor.
Dedicated 24/7 Plugin Support
The plugin developers provide a dedicated plugin support team to help users.
Some additional benefits and advantages include the following:
- Customized Legal Page Templates: Compliance Bar creates your legal pages in seconds and customizes them to your business and website.
- Video Training Manuals: Compliance Bar is not difficult to use - a complete library of training videos is provided.
- Can Be Used In Every Country: As long as you consult someone who is qualified to give you legal advice to ascertain if the legal page templates provided with Compliance Bar are suitable and satisfactory for your business, country and website, you can use the plugin wherever you are located.
- Can Be Used On All WordPress Sites: If your site runs on WordPress, you can use the plugin for every website purpose. Just select the pages you want to include in your site and ignore any unnecessary pages.
Compliance Bar Plugin offers many unique features to website owners. Below we have listed just a few:
- Quick and simple to install and use. Ready to go to work in very little time.
- Display Visually Appealing Icon Bar – The plugin will display links to your compliance pages in the form of attractive icons that can be placed on different locations in your page. You can also upload your own icons.
- Display Sensitive Information – If your website publishes content that may be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. content related to alcohol, tobacco, dating, etc.), you can display popups that require users to accept your site’s terms or disclaimers.
- EU Cookie Compliance – If your business is based in Europe or display your content to visitors in the EU, you must make users aware of your user cookies and notify them of how you use them. The plugin displays an attractive bar that notifies visitors and protects your site from non-compliance issues.
- Record And Store IP Addresses – The plugin records and stores the IP address of your visitors for future reference, just in case a user accepts your terms or disclaimers and then claims they didn’t.
- Shortcode Driven – Compliance Bar is integrated with shortcodes to populate the templates with your personal information. These shortcodes also allow you to place information anywhere on your website, (even in the pop-ups).
- Works On Mobile Devices – The plugin has settings for displaying on mobile devices and tablets and displays mobile optimized icons automatically depending on visitor web browsers.
Features – Details
Once you have installed the plugin, you will have access to a number of sections where you can configure the plugin’s settings.
Let’s go through these settings briefly …
There are a number of default categories in this screen where your business information can be input (e.g. “Business Name,” “Company Address,” “Company Phone Number,” “Market Niche,” etc.). Not all categories are required, but some are (e.g. “Contact Name,” “Support Email,” etc.)
(Compliance Bar User Profile Page – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Compliance Bar uses dynamic shortcodes to populate the information entered into your User Profile into your legal pages …
(Compliance Bar User Profile Page: Shortcodes – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Once the minimum required data has been entered into the plugin settings fields, users can then access the other sections of the plugin.
The “Compliance Pages” section lists all of the plugin’s page templates …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Compliance Templates – Image source: plugin documentation)
Last time we checked the Compliance Bar plugin website, there were over 22 legal page templates made available:
- About Us
- AdSense Disclaimer
- Affiliate Agreements
- Affiliate Disclosure
- Amazon Affiliate Disclaimer
- Anti-Spam Policy
- Contact Us
- Copyright/DCMA Notice
- Double Dart Cookies
- Earnings Disclaimer
- External Links Policy
- FTC Statement
- Legal Disclaimer
- Linking Policy
- Medical Disclaimer
- Returns/Refund Policy
- Terms & Conditions
- Testimonial Disclosure
- Adult Content Disclosure
You can create legal pages for your site quite easily simply by selecting check boxes and clicking the “Save” button on the “Compliance Pages” screen …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Legal Templates – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
Your legal pages will then be created and added under your “Pages” section.
Compliance Bar Icons
The plugin is installed with a default set of icons for referencing your legal pages …
The icons are customizable. You can purchase additional icons from the plugin developer, or create/upload your own to match the style of your theme …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Legal Template Icons – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Edit / Delete Legal Templates
You can modify and delete your legal disclaimer templates from the “Compliance Pages” section, just as you would any other WordPress page …
(Compliance Bar: Edit Compliance Pages – Image source: plugin documentation)
- Customizing is recommended, as the pages contain generic content.
- The plugin indicates if it detects existing similar pages on your site (e.g. pages created before installing the plugin).
The plugin settings area provides various options to customize the Compliance Bar, including where to position the bar, displaying links or icon images, background colors and images, icon size, specifying which pages should be included in the Compliance Bar, whether or not to display the Compliance bar on your front page, which pages the Compliance Bar will display in, mobile settings, etc. …
(Compliance Bar Section: Create Bar – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
- You can create more than one Compliance Bar to show different icons on different pages, or to cover different uses throughout your website.
- The plugin lets you display a Compliance Bar on the front page of your site, even if you are using particular premium themes (e.g. Genesis, Thesis or Woo), where the home page is configured through the theme settings as a built-in template, and not as a “regular” page.
- Due to the smaller size of mobile screens, there is a limit to the number of page icons you can display if you turn Mobile Settings “on.”
Once you have configured your Compliance Bar settings, it will display links to your compliance pages through dynamic icon bar on your site …
You have complete control over the location on your pages where you would like to feature the compliance icons …
If your site has content that may be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. information related to alcohol, tobacco, adult, etc.), you can display pop-ups that blocks access to users who do not accept your website’s terms and disclaimers.
The “Create Pop Up” tab lets you fully customize your pop ups …
(Pop Ups Section: Create Pop Up – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
You can create multiple customized Pop Ups for different pages, or to cover different uses in other sections of your website …
You can also set a delay time if you don’t want a Pop Up to display as soon as visitors arrive, set a cookie duration to prevent Pop Ups from appearing again within a specific time interval, and record the IP addresses of visitors who accept your terms and disclaimers for future reference …
(Pop Ups Section: IP Log Details – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
If your business is based in Europe or display your content to EU visitors, you must be aware of EU compliance requirements …
The plugin lets you customize the settings for compliance with EU Cookies requirements, including the wording of your notification message and link text in the “EU Cookies” screen …
(EU Cookies Section: Manage Settings – Image source: plugin documentation)
Compliance Bar has a non-intrusive way of notifying your visitors and covering you from non-compliance.
The “Page Templates” tab, lists all of your legal disclaimers and shortcodes, and lets you modify their content …
The “General Settings” section, lets you access general information, such as promoting and sharing the plugin and receiving plugin updates …
Feedback From Plugin Users
Below are just some testimonials that plugin users have submitted for the Compliance Bar plugin:
”One of the most annoying parts about building out a site is to make sure it complies with the law. I always leave this part to the end because its painfully dry and boring and frankly I always just wished their was an easier way. Then I came across Compliance Bar and its literally the most versitile and brilliant plugin I have ever used. All my pages meet FTC requirements now and all I had to do was press a button! Anton and Jon..you guys friggen rock — 1000% highly recommend this!!” Anthony La Rocca – Founder (Hustle Marketing)
”I wanted to reach out & say Compliance Bar is a truly amazing product for keeping my online marketing efforts on the right side of the internet laws. Not only does it look fantastic on my sites, it is also intuitive and robustly powerful. It is packed full of features to allow me the flexibility to control exactly what my visitors need to see and know” Patrick Mauchant – PT Enviromate Technology
Compliance Bar Plugin Tips
Below are a few extra ways you can use The Compliance Bar Plugin:
- Displaying compliance icons on specific pages of your website only.
- Minimize refund disputes by clearly spelling out refund terms before purchase.
- If you publish adult content on your site, you can force visitors to click to confirm that they are of legal age to access your content.
Compliance Bar Support
Compliance Bar provides users with a dedicated plugin support team to assist you with anything you need. Plugin users also get access to a complete set of training videos.
Additionally, your purchase is backed by a risk-free, thirty day, 200% money-back guarantee. If your copy of Compliance Bar does not work within 30 days of purchase and it cannot be fixed within 48 hours (M – F), the plugin developers will refund twice the purchase price.
- Single – Can be installed on a single domain. Price = $37 (Normally $127)
- Business Licensing – Install the plugin on 25 of your own domains. Cost = $67.00 (Normally $197).
- Developer Edition – Can be installed on all sites that you own. Install the plugin on all client sites for payment or as part of a paid service. Price = $97.00.
Please Note: The price of the product can vary, depending on whether there are any promotions or limited-time specials being offered. The above reflects the current price at the time this review was published. This may not be the actual price charged by the product author when you visit the website and you may be shown additional upsells or one-time offers after your purchase.
Check the plugin’s website for current pricing details: Compliance Bar Plugin – WordPress Website Compliance Plugin
Legal Pages Reviewed By Lawyers – The plugin developers assert on their website that all legal templates have been reviewed and approved by a leading lawyer. Nonetheless, we strongly recommend that you get professional advice from a qualified legal expert in your area for your peace of mind.
For ”how-to” videos showing plugin usage, including help documentation and tutorials, FAQs, support helpdesk, contact details and more, visit the Compliance Bar website.
Compliance Bar is an easy-to-use, simple and cost-effective solution for WordPress sites. We recommend installing this plugin for WordPress users if you want immediate peace of mind and legal protection.
For full details, check out the plugin here: Compliance Bar – Compliance Bar Plugin – Website Compliance Plugin For WordPress
Note: Once again, we are not lawyers and we are not offering legal advice in this article. Do your own due diligence and consult a legal expert about the best way of ensuring that your website is compliant with all legal requirements in your country or region.