Social signals impact search engine rankings and Google has been tracking social signals as part of its ranking algorithm for several years now.
Note: Google encourages website owners to build their brand on social media as a long-term investment to drive qualified traffic, rather than aiming for short-term benefits like search ranking placement. Google’s own head of the web spam team Matt Cutts has stated that Google takes a cautious approach when it comes to assessing social media signals, as social trends and relationships can change at a moment’s notice. Without a reliable ‘map,’ Google is understandably reticent to assign too much importance to the social sphere over other aspects of their search algorithm. In summary, Google’s strategy is to “wait and see” how things develop over time, as sites that provide value develop longevity, trust and authority, and these are the sites that Google naturally wants to rank higher in its search engine results.
Social Signals – Which Social Media Sites Matter?
Social media sites that search engines like Google look to when measuring social signals include:
With almost 2 billion monthly active users, Facebook is the most influential social media community on the planet. Research shows that an average post on Facebook can reach over 100,000 users, so even if it seems like Facebook is not driving droves of customers to your website, don’t be quick to dismiss the importance of Facebook in your online business strategy, as Google uses social data and information from Facebook when determining your search rankings. In fact, Facebook seems to have the most influence on search rankings of all social media sites, like Google+ or Twitter.
(Number of monthly active Facebook users. Source: Statista.com)
After Facebook, Twitter is the second biggest social media site in the world, with over half a billion tweets sent out every day. Twitter plays a significant role as a global influencer online and places great emphasis on the authority of tweets posted to followers over the volume of tweets sent …
(Over half a billion tweets are sent each day. Source: Internet Live Stats)
Google’s own social media site naturally carries a significant degree of authority online, even if it is still a fledgling online community compared to sites like Facebook and Twitter.
(More people are interacting on Google+ every year. Source: Internet Live Stats)
In addition to the big three social sites listed above, there are a number of other social sites that provide important social signals, such as Pinterest, LinkedIn, Reddit, StumbleUpon, and Digg.
(A number of social sites provide important signals to search engines that can affect your rankings)
Which Social Signals Should You Be Paying Attention To?
Search engines like Bing and Google track a number of social signals, including the following:
- Facebook – e.g. how many Facebook shares, comments, and likes you have, growth rate of likes and shares, etc.
- Twitter – e.g. tweets and retweets, how influential the person sending tweets is, trending topics, etc.
- GooglePlus – e.g. who is following you (influential users), how many people follow you, authority of adds and shares, etc.
- Other sites – e.g. growth rate of Pins and re-Pins on Pinterest, comments on Reddit, etc.
- Other signals – In addition to the above, there are other not so obvious social media-related signals that can indirectly influence search rankings. These include desirable and undesirable factors, such as links from authority sites (backlinks) (not as important as they once were, but still a factor) [positive], and whether your site is deemed to be of poor quality by visitors [negative].
As a website owner, it’s important to not only grow your social media presence, but also to be able to monitor and analyze social signals in order to improve your business results.
(Using social media marketing can help improve your results online)
Monitoring social media activity allows you to find insights into what people are saying about your company, services, or brand on social media, measure the impact of your marketing campaigns, identify potential market opportunities, avert impending crises, and spy on your competition. It can also provide you with valuable data about emerging trends and what consumers and clients are thinking about specific topics, products, brands, or businesses.
As a business intelligence tool, social signal monitoring is invaluable. Using social media monitoring as a form of business intelligence, however, is a complex undertaking, often carried out by a cross-section of people including marketing professionals, market research, digital reputation management companies, social media marketing agencies, professional sales reps, and social engagement and community personnel. Typically, small businesses don’t have the budget to pay social media monitoring professionals to track their coverage in the and actively monitor their digital reputation.
Fortunately various technology companies have developed a range of affordable and even free tools that facilitate the tracking of a variety of social media channels, enabling you to identify what is being said online about your brand so you can respond proactively to conversations and interact with online users in various social media platforms.
We have written a detailed article listing several social media monitoring tools that will help you identify new business opportunities, track competitor activity, see what conversations are taking place online that could affect your business,etc. Visit this page to learn more:
(Are you searching for an effective tool to help you measure social signals?)
In this article, we review a simple, yet effective social media tracking plugin for WordPress and growing your social media influence online.
Our Featured WordPress Product Is …
Social Metrics Pro – Social Media Analytics Plugin
Social Metrics Pro is an easy-to-install social media analytics plugin for WordPress that is designed to help you grow your social media influence in an uncomplicated way. It is built on a simple concept – Social Metrics Pro measures how each signal is performing and displays either a red or green indicator. The user’s objective is simple … turn more reds into greens.
(Social Metrics Pro provides a standard operating procedure that any user can follow … turn reds into greens!)
Colors indicate relative popularity. This simplifies your social analytics. Posts with the highest number of shares display green. Posts with low social media activity display amber or red.
The developers of Social Metrics Pro tested their plugin on a network of 2,000+ websites over a period of three months. During this period, all they focused on was turning the “reds” to “greens” and then keeping their metrics on “green”. From these tests, they were able to notice a 360% improvement in traffic for their top 10 performing sites, 410% more keywords ranked in the first page of Google and their revenue increased by 310%.
(According to SocialMetricsPro developers, focusing on improving your social marketing can positively can have a dramatic impact on your search rankings, traffic and revenue!)
For more details, visit the plugin site here:
Benefits Of Using SocialMetricsPro
Here we have listed just a few of the benefits of using SocialMetricsPro to track Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more right from your WP Dashboard on your website:
Really Easy To Install
SocialMetricsPro installs just like any WordPress plugin. Simply upload it to your Plugin folder via your dashboard and activate.
Simple To Use
As mentioned earlier, your task is to change reds into greens. SocialMetricsPro tracks and measures social media signals so you know which social marketing campaigns require more effort and which ones need to be better optimized.
Choose Only Signals You Care About
Social Metrics Pro provides a powerful dashboard to centrally monitor social media activity across leading social networks like Twitter, GooglePlus, Facebook, Digg, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and StumbleUpon.
Social Metrics Pro lets you easily answer questions like:
- Which social media networks work best for my site?
- Which posts are performing the best on these social networks?
- Which of my posts are the most popular on social media?
- And more …
With Social Metrics Pro, all this information can be accessed with just one click.
(SocialMetricsPro actively tracks social signals from the sites that you care most about!)
Social Metrics Pro offers WP users with many great features. Below we have listed some of those features:
- Fast and simple to install and implement. Be up and running in minutes.
- Social Metrics Pro Is Widgets And Extensions Ready. You can extend its functionality with external and built-in widgets. View updated stats right on your WP dashboard, display socially popular content on your blog sidebar or anywhere in your site using point-and-click widgets.
- 1-click upgrading. You can update SocialMetricsPro in one click via the WordPress Updates screen, or update the manually manually. You can also opt to be notified via email whenever a new version is released.
- Minimal consumption of resources. Reporting is in seconds, using little server resources. The tool also includes the amount of time it took to retrieve the information and the server resources consumed when gathering data.
Additional plugin features include:
- Sorting, Searching & Filtering Features: Social Metrics Pro lets you sort, search and filter the data as you like. You can perform keyword searches to study posts related to certain topics, and even filter the results by post type, publishing date, post authors, or category.
- Export Data To Excel: You can export filtered data and custom queries to Excel for further analysis. Data can be exported in tab-delimited and comma-separated file formats, and imported to Excel or the spreadsheet application of your choice.
(SocialMetricsPro is simple to use … just turn all red squares into greens!)
Here are a couple of the testimonials and feedback plugin customers have provided for SocialMetricsPro:
“Social Metrics Pro is the essential plugin we use to monitor how our content performs on social networks such as Twitter and Facebook. It’s simple, neat and works precisely as you would expect it. When we work with our clients such as T-Mobile, the .Me domain name registry and others, Social Metrics Pro is the plugin we use to create reports as well as keep track on each bit of content to optimize it for future performance.” Ivan Brezak Brkan, Editor of Netokracija.com, TechCrunch EU Contributor
“Social Metrics Takes WordPress Stats to the Next Level.” Lorraine Ball, Creative Director, Roundpeg
Social Metrics Pro – Useful Tips
A step-by-step guide on how to optimize your site for social media success (i.e. how to turn reds into greens) is also included.
The plugin is well-supported, and comes with free support and free lifetime updates, backed by a no-risk, 60-day, full money-back guarantee.
Product Licensing Cost
SocialMetricsPro plugin is available in two editions:
- Single Site Licensing – This enables you to set up SocialMetricsPro on 1 website only. Includes free lifetime updates and support. Cost = $27.00 (one-time).
- Unlimited Sites Licensing – This option enables you to activate Social Metrics Pro on multiple web sites that you own. Cost includes free lifetime upgrades and free support. Cost = $47.00 (one-time).
Please Note: Current pricing for the product depends on whether there are any promotions or limited-time specials being offered. The price shown above was current at the time this article was written. This may not be the actual price set by the product author when you visit the product site and you may be shown additional upsells or one-time offers after you’ve purchased.
Check the plugin’s website for current pricing details:
Additional Product Info
Social Metrics Pro requires a self-hosted installation of WordPress and can be instantly downloaded after purchase.
Download The Product
As mentioned earlier, with the increased importance of social sites like Facebook and Twitter, search engines like Google and Bing have started taking into account social signals when determining a site’s ranking.
No website owner can afford to ignore the importance of social media. Social Metrics Pro solves the problem of how to find a simple, time-saving solution that gives you immediate feedback on the success of your social marketing strategy and guides you how to improve your results.
SocialMetricsPro is ideal for beginners and advanced WordPress users alike. It tracks Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more directly from your WP dashboard.
Get SocialMetricsPro if you own or manage WordPress sites and want to track your social signals automatically.
For more information, check out the plugin here: SocialMetricsPro – Social Media Analytics For WordPress