With the increased importance of social media sites like Twitter and Facebook, search engines like Bing and Google are now taking into account social signals to help determine website ranking.
Note: Google encourages website owners to build their brand on social media as a long-term investment to drive qualified traffic, instead of aiming for short-term benefits like search ranking placement. Matt Cutts, the head of Google’s own web spam team has stated that Google takes a cautious approach when it comes to social media, as so many things change quickly on social media. Without a perfect ‘map,’ Google is understandably reticent to assign more importance to the social sphere over other aspects of their search algorithm. In short, Google’s strategy is to “wait and see” how things develop over time, as sites that provide real value develop longevity, trust and authority, and these are the sites that Google naturally wants to display higher in its search results.
Social Signals – Which Sites Matter?
Social sites that search engines look to for measuring social signals include:
With over 1.5 billion active users, Facebook is the most dominant social media community in the world. Research shows that an average post on Facebook can reach over 100,000 users, so even if no one is buying your products or services on Facebook, don’t be quick to dismiss the importance of Facebook in your business strategy, as Google uses social data and information from Facebook when determining your search rankings. In fact, Facebook seems influence search engine rankings more than other social media sites.
(Number of active Facebook users. Source: Statista.com)
After Facebook, Twitter is the second largest social media site in the world, with over 600 million tweets sent out every day. Twitter plays a significant role as a global influencer online and places great importance on tweeting posts that provide great value to followers over the number of tweets sent …
(Over half a billion tweets are sent each day. Source: InternetLiveStats.com)
Google’s own social networking site naturally carries great authority online, even if it has not reached the same level of growth and take up as Twitter and Facebook.
(More people are interacting on Google+ every day. Source: Internet Live Stats)
In addition to the big three listed above, there are a number of other sites worth getting to know, such as Pinterest, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon, Digg, and Reddit.
(Social media sites provide important signals that can affect your search engine rankings)
Which Social Signals Should You Be Paying Attention To?
Search engines track a number of social signals, including the following:
- Facebook – e.g. how many Facebook shares, likes, and comments you have, growth rate of likes and shares, etc.
- Twitter – e.g. tweets and retweets, how influential the person tweeting is, trending topics, etc.
- GooglePlus – e.g. who is following you (influential users), how many people are following you, amount of adds and shares, etc.
- Other sites – e.g. number of Pins and re-Pins on Pinterest, upvotes on Digg, etc.
- Other signals – In addition to the above, there are other not so obvious signals that can indirectly influence search rankings and traffic. These include positive and undesirable factors, such as age and authority of your social media account [positive], and whether your site is deemed to be of low quality by other users [negative].
As a business owner, it’s not only important to grow your social media presence, but also to be able to monitor and analyze your social media marketing in order to improve your business results.
(Using social media marketing can help improve your results online)
Monitoring social media activity allows you to find insights into what people are saying about your brand, services, or company on social media, measure the impact of campaigns, avert impending crises, spy on your competitors, and spot market opportunities. Additionally, social media monitoring can also provide vital information about emerging trends and what consumers and clients are thinking about specific businesses, products, brands, or topics.
As a tool for business intelligence, being able to track trends, activity, and volume and sentiments of online conversations on social media channels like blogging, forums, social networking sites, micro-blogging platforms, message boards, video/photo sharing websites, and user-generated content (UGC) is invaluable. Using social media monitoring as a form of business intelligence, however, is a complex undertaking, often carried out by various groups that include PR staff, market researchers, marketing teams, agencies, sales teams, and social engagement and community staff. Typically, small businesses do not can’t afford to pay social media monitoring professionals to continually track their coverage in the and actively monitor their digital reputation.
Fortunately a number of technology providers have developed tools and solutions to facilitate the monitoring of a broad range of social media channels, allowing you to identify what consumers are saying about your brand so you can react to conversations and engage with consumers in a timely manner.
We have written a detailed article where we explore several social media monitoring tools that will help you keep track of online trends, monitor competitor activity, see what online conversations are taking place that could affect your business, etc, see what online conversations are taking place that could affect your business,etc. For more details, go here:
(Do you know how to effectively measure social signals?)
This article discusses a simple, yet highly effective social tracking tool for a WordPress-based digital business presence and improving your social media exposure.
SocialMetricsPro – Social Media Analytics WordPress Plugin
Description Of Plugin
SocialMetricsPro is an easy-to-install social media analytics premium WordPress plugin that is designed to make increasing your social media influence online uncomplicated. It is built on a simple concept – the tool measures how each signal is performing and returns either a red or green indicator. Your task is to convert more red squares into greens.
(A standard operating procedure that any user can follow … just turn reds into greens!)
Colors indicate relative popularity. Posts that receive the most shares show up green. Posts with low social media activity display amber and red.
The plugin developers tested SocialMetricsPro on a network of over two thousand sites over a period of 3 months. During this period, all they focused on was turning the “reds” to “greens” and then keeping their metrics on “green”. From these tests, they were able to notice that their top 10 best performing sites saw an improvement of up to 360% more traffic, 410% more keywords ranked in the first page of Google and their revenue increased by 310%.
(According to Social Metrics Pro developers, focusing on improving your social marketing can dramatically can have a dramatic effect on your search rankings, traffic and revenue!)
For more details, visit the plugin site here:
Benefits Of Using Social Metrics Pro
Below we have listed just a few of the benefits of using Social Metrics Pro to track Tweets, Likes, +1s, Pins and more from your WP Dashboard on your web site:
Ready To Go To Work In No Time
SocialMetricsPro is really easy to install. Just upload a zip folder containing the plugin to your Plugins folder via your administrator area and activate.
Really Simple To Use
As mentioned earlier, your goal is to turn all the reds into greens. SocialMetricsPro tracks and measures social media signals the way Google sees it so you know where to invest more effort and where to optimize.
Track Signals From The Networks You Care About
Social Metrics Pro allows you to centrally track and monitor social activity from networks like Facebook, Twitter, Google+, StumbleUpon, Digg, LinkedIn, and Pinterest.
Social Metrics Pro lets you easily answer questions like:
- Which social networks work best for my site?
- Which social campaigns are performing the best on these social networks?
- Which of my posts are the most popular?
- And more …
With Social Metrics Pro, all this information can be accessed with just one click.
(SocialMetricsPro actively tracks social signals from the social sites that you care most about!)
Social Metrics Pro provides website owners with many great features. Here are some:
- Quick and easy to install and set up. Ready to go to work in no time.
- Widgets And Extensions Ready. You can extend its functionality using external and built-in widgets. Access the latest stats right on your WP admin bar, display socially popular content on your sidebar or anywhere in your site using point-and-click widgets.
- 1-click updates. You can update SocialMetricsPro in a single click via the WordPress Updates screen, or update the manually manually. You can also choose to receive email notifications when a new version is released.
- Low-resource consumption. Reporting is very quickly, using minimal server resources. The tool also displays the amount of time spent retrieving the information and the server memory used to gather and compile data.
Additional features include:
- Sort, Search & Filter Features: SocialMetricsPro allows you to sort, search and filter the data as you like. You can perform keyword searches to study topic-related posts, and even filter the results by publishing date, post type, category, or post authors.
- Export Data: You can export and plot data in Excel for further analysis. Data can be exported in tab-delimited and comma-separated file formats, and imported to Excel or the spreadsheet application of your choice.
(Social Metrics Pro is very simple to use … just turn reds into greens!)
Below are a couple of the testimonials and feedback customers have published about the Social Metrics Pro plugin:
”Social Metrics is the easiest way to see at a glance which posts have performed well on social networks.” Kevin Muldoon, Founder of WPMods.com
“Social Metrics Takes WordPress Stats to the Next Level.” Lorraine Ball, Creative Director, Roundpeg
SocialMetricsPro Plugin – Tips
SocialMetricsPro comes with a step-by-step guide showing you how to optimize your site for social media success (i.e. turn reds into greens).
SocialMetricsPro is well-supported, and users get lifetime upgrades and new releases for free with their purchase, backed by a no-risk, 60-day, 100% refund guarantee.
SocialMetricsPro plugin is available in two editions:
- Single Site License – This enables you to use SocialMetricsPro on one site only. It includes free lifetime updates and support. Price = $27.00 (one-time).
- Unlimited Sites Licensing – This license option enables you to configure Social Metrics Pro on all websites that you own. Includes free lifetime updates and support. Cost = $47.00 (one-time).
Note: Pricing for the product can vary, depending on whether there are any promotions or limited-time specials being offered. Presently, the plugin is being retailed for the amounts shown above. This may or may not be the actual price set by the product seller when you visit the site and you may be shown additional upsells or one-time offers after your purchase.
Check the plugin’s website for the current pricing:
Additional Plugin Info
Social Metrics Pro requires a self-hosted installation of WordPress and can be instantly downloaded after purchase.
Download This Product
As mentioned earlier, social signals impact search engine rankings and Google has been tracking social signals as part of its ranking algorithm.
No website owner can afford to ignore the importance of social media. SocialMetricsPro solves the problem of how to find a simple, time-saving solution that gives WordPress users instant feedback on the success of their social media marketing campaigns and shows them how and where to direct their efforts in order to improve their results.
Social Metrics Pro is ideal for beginners and advanced users alike. It tracks Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more directly from your WordPress dashboard.
Get Social Metrics Pro if you own or manage WordPress sites and want to see measurable results.
For more details, visit the plugin website: Social Metrics Pro – Social Analytics Plugin