So far, we have covered the following in this article series:
In Part One, we explain why using an expertly configured WordPress site is the key to generating automated traffic …
(With an expertly configured WordPress blog, all you have to do is publish content on a regular basis to start generating traffic!)
In Part 2, we discuss the setup phase. We help you understand the best way to start if you don’t have a web presence yet, how to set things up if you already have a site, and what to do if your existing website has been built with WordPress.
(In Part two we show you where to set up a WordPress website or blog on your domain)
In Part Three, we discuss important configuration decisions. We explained how to configure all the settings that can affect your website’s traffic-getting ability …
(In Part Three you will configure hosting settings, WordPress settings, and external settings that affect your website’s ability to generate traffic automatically)
In Part 4, you learned how to set up various plugins that can help bring new traffic automatically to your website or blog.
(Publish once to WordPress and automate the distribution of your content to all other marketing channels!)
In this section of the WordPress web traffic automation blueprint article series, we discuss ways to optimize the traffic generation process with different tools and methods.
WordPress Web Traffic System – Traffic Optimization Systems
In addition to having an expertly configured WordPress site, generating targeted traffic consistently is achieved by having a well-defined business vision, great digital planning, and good systems in place.
(Generating automated traffic is the product of having a clear business vision, sound planning, and systems)
Let’s briefly review the systems that will help you grow and manage this traffic.
These systems include:
- Marketing Systems – How you create traffic for your website.
- Technical Systems – How you keep your digital presence optimized for receiving traffic.
- Business Systems – How you manage and respond to new traffic.
(Use systems to grow, automate, optimize, and manage your traffic)
Let’s review the importance of the above systems briefly:
Your marketing systems consist of the processes and strategies used to create traffic for your website. You can test your marketing systems by asking questions such as:
- What is your content marketing/online marketing strategy?
- What resources and portion of your budget will you apply to these channels?
- Who will create your content, sales funnels, and marketing campaigns?
- How will you measure the results of your marketing campaigns?
During the setup and configuration phase, you should have installed an analytics program (e.g. Google Analytics). If you’re just starting out, you may want to consider investing in some paid advertising (e.g. pay-per-click ads) to help you generate some initial actionable data, such as the keywords people are searching online to find your site, which you can use to create content targeted specifically to your audience.
Your technical systems and processes keep your digital presence optimized for receiving new traffic. There’s no point sending traffic to your website if your site is constantly down or your web pages are taking too long to load.
Your technical systems include handling areas like webhosting, website maintenance and support, installing and updating new applications (e.g. plugins), integration, customization, troubleshooting, etc.
You can test your technical systems by questions such as:
- Who looks after my webhosting?
- Who looks after my website and keeps my site maintained and up-to-date?
- Who will fix errors, troubleshoot problems, provide technical support and advice, etc. if you experience difficulties?
Many potential problems can be minimized if your website planning process and setup and configuration phases have been done correctly. Like all technology, however, you can expect new problems. Your technical systems need to be robust enough to handle these.
You need good business systems and processes in place to help you manage the influx of traffic. This includes:
- Communication systems
- Resources management – human, financial
- Handling sales enquiries
- Order fulfillment
- Customer service/training
If you intend to outsource your digital marketing and technical services, then make sure you also implement excellent systems to manage all outsourcing.
WordPress Traffic Automation System – Traffic Optimization Methods
With clear business objectives and great systems in place, all you need to focus on are ways to develop your “traffic loop”.
Let’s walk through an example of how to implement, optimize, and further automate a traffic loop. Take a look at the processes illustrated below …
(Implementing an effective traffic loop)
Increase Reach & Visibility Online
The first step of the process is to increase visibility for your business.
Useful Tips & Ideas
- Your expertly configured WordPress site allows you to instantly share your content on social media accounts like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. The easiest way to increase your reach and visibility online, therefore, is to simply publish more content.
- As mentioned earlier, investing in some paid advertising can help you generate some initial data, which you can use to create content targeted specifically to your audience’s needs.
- Repurpose your content to leverage the power, appeal, and reach of different media formats.
- Continue learning about ways to get web visitors using methods like Facebook ads, banner ads, Reddit, etc.
Plugins, Tools, & Strategies
See previous sections of this tutorial series for a number of excellent plugins, tools, and methods we’ve already covered to help you reach more potential users.
Also, if you haven’t already, see other posts and tutorials on this site to learn more about plugins that allow you to easily add the following to your WordPress site:
- Share your posts online with others,
- Run contests, offer discounts/downloads for shares/likes,
- Add user generated content, feeds, etc.
- Distribute content online in various media formats (e.g. videos, PDF guides, infographics, etc.)
Build Authority & Credibility
Getting more content published is a great first step, but for this activity to be really effective, your content also needs to build authority and credibility with users.
Publishing higher quality content improves your chances of getting more views from social sharing and hence more traffic.
- Create and publish content that will add value to potential users and showcase your expertise. This includes content that educates and informs readers, training content, user reviews, adding testimonials, etc.
- Consider publishing expert guides that can be sold or distributed online.
Plugins, Tools, & Strategies
If you need endless ideas for posting content on your website, we recommend subscribing to our email training series on content marketing here:
Also, if you haven’t already, see other posts on this site to learn more about plugins that allow you to easily add the following to your website or blog:
- Legal Pages
- Customer Support (e.g. Helpdesk, Live Chat, etc.)
- User Reviews
- Badges/Certificates Of Recognition
Grow Influence & Engagement
At some point, you may want to consider developing “traffic on demand.” You can achieve this by growing a list or starting your own online community or social network.
With “Traffic On Demand,” your traffic comes from customers or subscribers – people who already know you and trust you. Your influence and credibility can be used to generate traffic with a single blog post or broadcast.
- Encourage visitors to leave comments and start discussions on your site.
- Add an email newsletter and encourage people to subscribe.
- Add a paid or free membership site, online forum, or social community.
- Start or join a Facebook/LinkedIn Group.
Tools And Methods
Many solutions and plugins are available that are easy to implement and can help grow your online influence and improve engagement. For example:
- Autoresponders (e.g. Aweber, GetResponse, etc.)
- Contact Forms, Live Chat
- Forums & Discussion Groups (e.g. bbPress, BuddyPress)
- Polls and Surveys
- Webinars (e.g. Webinar JEO)
- Comment sharing
- Add media, video galleries, etc.
Identify Needs/Problems And Provide Solutions To These
If you take advantage of incoming traffic to listen to what your visitors are searching for, you can develop new services and products, all of which can provide you with new opportunities to generate additional web traffic.
- Create a free or paid e-learning program.
- Consider publishing an instructional e-book that can be sold or distributed online.
- Consider adding e-commerce to your site.
Tools And Strategies
If you plan to provide services, products, and solutions online (as opposed to just providing information), see other posts on this site to learn more about plugins that let you easily add the following to your website:
- Membership Site plugins (e.g. Wishlist Member, S2 Member, etc.)
- e-Learning Courses (e.g. Courseware)
- Event Registrations (e.g. EventEspresso)
Analyze Data & Feedback
The final step of the process is to collect and analyze data. Learning to gather and interpret data from existing traffic lets you discover new opportunities to create content that can help you generate additional traffic.
Hopefully, by now you already have installed an analytics tool (e.g. Google Analytics) on your website. Make sure you understand the metrics and can interpret the data.
WordPress Traffic Automation Blueprint – Summary
All you have to do once you implement the above strategies is rinse and repeat, fine-tuning and refining your methods as you go to grow your traffic and get better your results.
- Begin with an expertly configured WordPress site backed by solid marketing, technical and business systems,
- Implement a content marketing strategy (with some paid advertising to drive traffic and generate useful data) to increase your reach and visibility online,
- Add plugins, list-building strategies, and other methods if required to help build authority and credibility, and also to increase engagement with users,
- Promote any new solutions, products or services using your existing channels and strategies to generate additional streams of traffic,
- Analyse your data and your results, automate your processes wherever possible, and begin the cycle again.
Hopefully, now you have a blueprint that will help you automate and optimize the process of driving visitors to your WordPress website and improve your business online.
"I was absolutely amazed at the scope and breadth of these tutorials! The most in-depth training I have ever received on any subject!" - Myke O'Neill, DailyGreenPost.com