So far, we have covered the following in this article series:
In Part One, we provided an overview of the traffic automation process, and explained why using an expertly configured WordPress website or blog is the key to generating automated web traffic …
(With an expertly configured WordPress web site, all you have to do is add content on a consistent basis to automatically start generating web traffic!)
In Part Two, we discussed critical setup decisions. We explained the best way to start if you don’t have a web presence yet, how to set things up if you already have a site, and what to do if your website has been built using WordPress.
(In Part two we show you where to set up WordPress on your domain)
In Part 3, we focused on the configuration phase of the blueprint. We configured web hosting settings, WordPress settings, and external settings that can affect your website’s traffic-getting ability …
(In Part 3 we explain how to configure all the settings (hosting, WordPress and external) that can affect your site’s traffic-getting ability)
In Part 4, we discussed ways to automate traffic generation using various WordPress plugins.
(Publish content once and automate your content distribution to all other channels!)
In Part Five of the WordPress web traffic automation blueprint series, we look at ways to optimize the traffic-getting process using a number of tools and methods.
WordPress Traffic Blueprint – Systems
In addition to getting your WordPress website or blog expertly configured, the key to generating consistent traffic of high quality is having a clearly-defined business vision, careful digital planning, and excellent systems in place.
(Optimizing traffic is the result of having a clear business vision, planning, and excellent systems)
Let’s briefly review the systems that will help you grow and manage this traffic.
These systems include:
- Marketing Systems – How you drive new traffic to your website.
- Technical Systems – How you keep your web presence up and running for receiving new traffic.
- Business Systems – The systems and processes used to manage and respond to new traffic.
(Use systems to grow, automate, optimize, and manage your web traffic)
Let’s briefly review how important these systems are for traffic:
Your marketing systems consist of the processes and methods used to drive new traffic to your business. You can test your marketing systems by asking questions such as:
- What channels do you plan to use to generate new traffic (e.g. blogging, PPC advertising, video marketing, etc)?
- How will you assign your budget and resources to these marketing channels?
- Who will create and optimize your content, sales funnels, and run your marketing campaigns?
- How will you track conversions and measure the ROI of your online marketing campaigns?
During the setup and configuration phase, you should have installed an analytics program (e.g. Google Analytics). If you’re just starting out, you may want to consider investing in some paid advertising (e.g. Google AdWords) to help you generate some actionable data, such as the keywords people are searching online to find your site, which you can use to create web content targeted specifically to your audience’s needs.
Your technical systems keep your digital presence optimized for receiving traffic. There’s no point driving traffic to your site if your site is experiencing problems or your pages take a long time to load.
Your technical systems need to be able to adequately handle areas like webhosting, website maintenance and support, installing and updating new applications (e.g. plugins), customization, integration, troubleshooting, etc.
Your technical systems can be tested by asking questions such as:
- Who looks after my server?
- Who is looking after my website and keeping my site maintained and up-to-date?
- Who will fix errors, troubleshoot problems, provide technical support and advice, etc. if problems arise?
Many potential problems can be minimized if your website planning and setup and configuration phases have been completed correctly. Like all technology, however, there will always be new problems. You will need the right technical systems in place to handle these.
You need good business systems and processes to help you manage traffic. This includes:
- Communication systems
- Managing human and financial resources
- Handling leads and sales inquiries
- Order fulfillment
- Customer training/service
If you intend to outsource your digital marketing and technical support, then make sure you also implement good systems to manage all outsourcing.
WordPress Web Traffic System – Traffic Loops
If your business objectives are clear and your systems and processes are in place, all you need to do is focus on growing a “traffic loop”.
Let’s go through an example of implementing, optimizing, and further automating a traffic loop. Take a look at the processes illustrated below …
Increase Reach & Visibility Online
Step 1 of the process is to increase visibility for your website or blog.
Traffic Optimization Ideas
- An expertly configured WordPress site allows you to automatically publish your content on places like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. The easiest way to increase your reach and visibility online, therefore, is to simply publish more content through your expertly configured WordPress site.
- As mentioned earlier, investing in some paid advertising can help generate some initial actionable and intelligent data such as the keywords people are searching online to find your website, which you can use to create web content better targeted to your audience’s needs.
- Repurpose your content to leverage the power, appeal, and reach of different media formats.
- Continue learning about ways to drive traffic using methods like paid advertising, podcasts, Reddit, etc.
Tools, Plugins, & Strategies
We’ve covered a number of excellent tools, plugins, and methods in previous sections of this article series.
Also, if you haven’t already, learn more about plugins that let you easily add the following to your WordPress website or blog:
- Share your comments and posts online with others,
- Run contests, offer discounts or downloads for shares/likes,
- Display user generated content, feeds, etc.
- Distribute content online in other media formats (e.g. videos, PDF guides, slides, etc.)
Build Authority & Credibility
Getting more content out there is good, but to make this activity more effective, your content needs to build authority and credibility with users.
Publishing higher quality content not only helps to establish your credibility, it also improves your chances of getting more people to link to it and share it around and hence more traffic.
- Focus on creating and publishing content that will add value to your audience and showcase your expertise. This includes content that informs and educates readers, training content, user reviews, adding testimonials, etc.
- Consider publishing educational guides or special reports that you can sell or distribute online (e.g. sell on Amazon.
Plugins, Tools, & Strategies
We have created a comprehensive email course on how to develop a content marketing strategy, how to promote your business with content, content creation tools, and how to never run out of new web content ideas that you can plug into at no cost here:
Also, see other posts on this site to learn more about plugins that let you easily add the following to your website:
- Legal Pages
- Customer Support (e.g. Helpdesk, Live Chat, etc.)
- User Reviews
- Badges/Certificates Of Recognition
Grow Influence & Engagement
At some point, you may want to consider developing “traffic on demand.” You can do this by building a list or starting a group.
With “Traffic On Demand,” your traffic will come from an audience of existing customers or subscribers – people who already like you and trust you. Your influence and reputation can be used to generate traffic with a single post or email.
- Encourage users to leave comments and start discussions on your site.
- Add an email newsletter and encourage people to subscribe.
- Add a free, paid, or ‘freemium’ membership site, online forum, or social community.
- Create or join a Facebook/LinkedIn Group.
Tools & Strategies
Many solutions and plugins are available that can help grow your online influence and improve engagement. For example:
- List-Building Solutions (e.g. Aweber, MailChimp, etc.)
- Contact Forms, Live Chat
- Forums & Discussion Groups (e.g. bbPress, BuddyPress)
- Polls and Surveys
- Webinars (e.g. Webinar JEO)
- Comment sharing
- Add media, image galleries, etc.
Identify Needs & Provide Solutions To These
By taking advantage of incoming traffic to find out what problems your visitors are trying to solve, you should have no problem developing new services, products, and solutions, all of which provide new opportunities to generate new streams of traffic.
- Create a free or paid e-learning course.
- Consider publishing PDF guides that can be sold or distributed online (e.g. sell on Clickbank.
- Consider adding e-commerce to your business.
Tools And Methods
If you plan to provide products, services, and solutions online (as opposed to just providing information), ask us about plugins that allow you to easily add the following to your website or blog:
- Membership Sites (e.g. Wishlist Member, S2 Member, etc.)
- e-Learning Courses (e.g. Courseware)
- Event Registrations (e.g. EventEspresso)
Analyze Data & Feedback
The final step of the process is the collection and analysis of data. By interpreting data gathered from existing traffic, you can discover new opportunities to generate additional traffic.
Hopefully, by now you have already installed an analytics tool (e.g. Google Analytics) on your site. Make sure you can also understand the data.
WordPress Traffic Automation Blueprint – Summary
All you have to do once you implement the above strategies is repeat the cycle, fine-tuning and refining your methods as you go to grow your traffic and improve your results.
- Begin with an expertly configured WordPress site backed by good marketing, technical and business systems,
- Implement a content marketing strategy (with some paid advertising to drive traffic and generate useful data) to increase your reach and visibility online,
- Add plugins, list-building strategies, and other methods if required to build authority and credibility, and also to improve engagement with users,
- Promote any new solutions, products or services using your existing channels and strategies to generate additional streams of traffic,
- Analyse your data and your results, automate your processes wherever possible, and begin the cycle again.
Hopefully, now you have a blueprint that will help you drive more visitors automatically to your WordPress website and get better results online.
"Your training is the best in the world! It is simple, yet detailed, direct, understandable, memorable, and complete." Andrea Adams, FinancialJourney.org