So far, we have covered the following in this article series:
In Part 1, we explained why using an expertly configured WordPress website or blog is the key to generating automated web traffic …
(With an expertly configured WordPress web site, all you have to do to automatically attract web traffic is add web content on a regular basis!)
In Part 2, we discussed the setup phase. We explained the best way to start if you don’t have a website yet, how to set everything up if you already have a website, and what to do if your website was built with WordPress.
(In Part 2 we show you where to set up WordPress on your domain)
In Part Three, we focus on important configuration decisions. We explained how to configure all the settings that affect your website’s ability to generate traffic automatically …
(In Part 3 you will configure all the settings that affect your site’s traffic-getting ability)
In Part 4, we showed you how to set up various plugins that can get traffic automatically to your site whenever you begin to post new content on a consistent basis.
(Publish content once, automate the rest!)
In this article, we look at ways to optimize traffic to your website using a number of tools and methods.
WordPress Web Traffic Blueprint – Systems
In addition to having an expertly configured WordPress website, generating consistent traffic of high quality is achieved by having a well-defined business vision, careful digital planning, and great systems in place.
(Optimized traffic is the product of a business vision, sound planning, and great systems)
Let’s review the systems that will help you grow and manage new traffic.
- Marketing Systems – The processes and strategies used to create new traffic for your website.
- Technical Systems – How you keep your online presence optimized for receiving new traffic.
- Business Systems – How you manage and respond to new traffic.
(Use systems to grow and manage your web traffic)
Let’s briefly review how important these systems are:
Your marketing systems consist of the processes and methods used to drive new traffic to your business. Your online marketing systems can be tested by asking questions such as:
- What is your content marketing/online marketing strategy?
- How will you apportion your budget and resources to these channels?
- Who will create your content, sales funnels, and run your marketing campaigns?
- How will you track conversions and measure the cost-effectiveness of your campaigns?
During the setup and configuration phase, you should have installed an analytics program (e.g. Google Analytics). If you’re just starting out, you may want to consider investing in some paid advertising (e.g. Google AdWords) to help you generate some initial actionable data, such as the keyword phrases people are searching online to find your website, which you can use to create content targeted specifically to your audience.
Your technical systems and processes ensure that your digital presence remains operating efficiently for receiving new traffic. There’s no point driving traffic to your site if your site is constantly down or your pages take a very long time to load.
Your technical systems include handling areas like webhosting, website maintenance and support, installing and updating software (e.g. plugins), integration, customization, troubleshooting, etc.
You can test your technical systems by questions such as:
- Who is looking after my webhosting?
- Who is looking after my website and keeping my site maintained and up-to-date?
- Who will fix errors, troubleshoot problems, provide technical support and advice, etc. if any problems arise?
Many potential problems can be minimized if your website planning and setup and configuration phases have been done correctly. As with all technology, however, you should expect problems. You will need the right technical systems in place to handle these.
Your business systems and processes help you manage and respond to new traffic. This includes:
- Communication systems
- Managing human and financial resources
- Handling sales inquiries
- Order fulfillment
- Customer training/service
If you intend to outsource your digital marketing and technical support, then make sure you have good systems in place for managing all outsourcing processes.
WordPress Traffic Automation Blueprint – Traffic Optimization Tools And Strategies
With clear business objectives and great systems in place, all you need to focus on are ways to grow, optimize, and further automate your “traffic loop”.
Let’s go through an example of implementing, optimizing, and further automating a traffic loop. Take a look at the chart below …
Increase Reach & Visibility Online
The first step of the process is to increase visibility for your website or blog.
- Your expertly configured WordPress site allows you to instantly notify and publicize your content to social media accounts like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. The easiest way to increase your reach and visibility online, therefore, is to simply publish more content on your site.
- As mentioned earlier, investing in some paid advertising can help you generate data, which you can use to create web content targeted specifically to your audience.
- Repurpose your content to leverage different media formats.
- Continue learning about ways to bring traffic using methods like SEO, podcasts, cross promotions, etc.
Plugins, Tools, And Strategies
See earlier sections of this article series for many useful plugins, tools, and methods we’ve already covered to help you reach more potential users.
Also, if you haven’t already, contact us to learn more about plugins that let you easily add the following to your website or blog:
- Share your posts online,
- Run contests, offer discounts/downloads for shares/likes,
- Add user generated content, feeds, etc.
- Publish and distribute content online in different media formats (e.g. videos, PDF guides, slides, etc.)
Build Authority & Credibility
Getting more of your content published is good, but to make this activity more effective, your content needs to be building authority and credibility with users.
Publishing higher quality content not only helps to establish your credibility, it also improves your chances of getting more shares and views and hence more visitors.
- Create and publish content that will add value to your audience and showcase your expertise. This includes content that educates and informs readers, training content, case studies, adding testimonials, etc.
- Consider publishing educational guides or special reports that can be sold or distributed online (e.g. sell on on the Amazon Kindle book store.
Tools, Plugins, And Strategies
We have created a complete email course designed to help you never run out of great content ideas for posting to your website:
Also, if you haven’t already, look for plugins that let you easily add the following to your website:
- Legal Pages
- Customer Support (e.g. Helpdesk, Live Chat, etc.)
- User Reviews
- Badges/Certificates Of Trust
Grow Influence & Engagement
As your business grows, you may want to consider developing “traffic on demand.” You can do this by building a list or starting your own online community or social network.
With “Traffic On Tap,” your traffic comes from customers or subscribers – people who already like you and trust you. Your influence and credibility can be used to generate traffic with every post you publish, forum post you add, or broadcast you send out.
- Encourage commenting and discussions on your site.
- Add an autoresponder newsletter and encourage people to subscribe.
- Add a paid or free membership site, online forum, or social community.
- Start or join a Facebook/LinkedIn Group.
Tools And Strategies
There are many solutions and plugins that are easy to implement and can help increase your influence and improve engagement. For example:
- List-Building Software (e.g. Aweber, GetResponse, etc.)
- Contact Forms, Live Chat
- Forums & Discussion Groups (e.g. bbPress, BuddyPress)
- Polls & Surveys
- Webinars (e.g. Webinar JEO)
- Comment sharing
- Add media, video galleries, etc.
Identify Needs And Provide Solutions
If you take advantage of incoming traffic to find out what problems your visitors are trying to solve, you can have an endless funnel of ideas for developing new products, services, and solutions, all of which provide new opportunities for generating additional traffic.
- Consider creating a free or paid online training course.
- Consider publishing an instructional PDF guide that you can sell or distribute online (e.g. sell on on the Amazon Kindle store.
- Add an e-commerce store to your business.
Tools & Strategies
If you plan to provide solutions online (as opposed to just providing information), see other posts and tutorials on this site to learn more about plugins that let you easily add the following to your site:
- Membership Site plugins (e.g. Wishlist Member, S2 Member, etc.)
- e-Courses (e.g. Courseware)
- Event Registrations (e.g. EventEspresso)
Analyze Data & Feedback
The final step of the process is the collection and analysis of data. Gathering and interpreting data from existing traffic gives you the opportunity to discover new opportunities to create content that can generate you additional traffic.
You should have already installed an analytics tool like Google Analytics on your website. Make sure you understand the metrics and can interpret the data.
WordPress Web Traffic System – Summary
All you have to do once you implement the above strategies is repeat the process, fine-tuning and refining your methods as you go to grow your traffic and improve your results.
- Begin with an expertly configured WordPress site backed by good marketing, technical and business systems,
- Implement a content marketing strategy (with some paid advertising to drive initial traffic and generate useful data) to increase your reach and visibility online,
- Add plugins, list-building strategies, and other methods if required to help build authority, trust, and credibility, and also to improve engagement with visitors,
- Promote any new solutions, products or services using your existing channels and strategies to generate additional streams of traffic,
- Analyse your data and your results, automate your processes wherever possible, and begin the cycle again.
Hopefully, this information has given you a blueprint that will help you drive more traffic automatically to your WordPress web site and improve your business online.
"I was absolutely amazed at the scope and breadth of these tutorials! The most in-depth training I have ever received on any subject!" - Myke O'Neill, DailyGreenPost.com