Grow Your Medical Or Healthcare Business Online With WordPress
Challenges Professional Health Services Practitioners Face Online
Now, more than ever, medical and health services professionals must work harder to stand out from the crowd and generate new clients. Not only do you have to actively participate in the community your business serves, you must also maintain a strong presence online. This includes having a website and searching for better ways to promote your practice online.
As well as investing money in offline marketing activities such as advertising on newspapers, ads in industry publications and magazines, radio and television, etc., you will probably find (if you haven’t already) that in order to compete, increasingly larger amounts of their budget will need to be directed towards developing and maintaining a website that can drive prospects, engage visitors, outperform the competition in search engines and social media, and help to give you a wider degree of marketing reach online.
This means that your site not only has to look great, load fast, and be easy to navigate, but even more importantly, the needs of your website may change over time and some aspects may need to be updated frequently. This requires the implementation of a sound website and content management strategy.
One other difficult challenge that health-related businesses (and all other businesses) face online, is that your site has only around thirty seconds to help visitors find what they need or they will look elsewhere.
“Websites have evolved into central information hubs where service information is still present but enhanced with web portals, hyperlinks to state and federal sites, and a variety of free tools.”
Opportunities For The Medical & Health Profession In The Web Economy
As well as facing significant business and technology changes, there are also plenty of online opportunities available to businesses in the health or medical-related profession that can adapt to meet the demands of the online economy and can think strategically when it comes to improving their online business marketing skills.
This detailed guide will help you uncover ways and opportunities to generate web traffic and improve your business results online.
As well as providing tips and information on ways to improve your health business online, we also recommend that you consider using WordPress to power your health-related website or blog.
To learn more about the benefits and advantages of using the WordPress content management system, go here:
- How A Poorly Designed Web Site Can Lose You Prospective Buyers And What To Do About It
- Everything You Need To Know About Growing Your Small Business Using WordPress
Practical Tips For Improving Your Medical And Health Practice Services Site
In this section we will show you how to improve your medical or health website and get better results. We will look at what web pages you need, what type of content works best, layout and navigation, etc.
If you need assistance or help planning your health-related website, visit this page: A Money-Saving Guide To Website Planning For Business Owners
Your Website Pages
All business websites require some essential web pages. Let’s review the pages your need and how to structure your website for best results.
Services Description Page
It’s essential to have a page that lists your products or services. Depending on which area of health or medical services you specialize in, this page could list services such as:
- Medicine & Surgery – e.g. acute pain management, neurosurgery diabetes, oral surgery, hyperbaric medicine, renal, infection control, ophtalmology surgical outpatients, etc.
- Dental Services – e.g. general dentistry, holistic dentistry, cleaning services, teeth whitening, implants, emergency dental services, etc.
- Cardiology – e.g. heart surgery, coronary care
- Prenatal & Neonatal – e.g. birth suites, maternity services, etc.
- Child Health – paediatrics, child development, children services, etc.
- Diagnostic – mammography, skin cancer, oral health, gynaecology, magnetic resonance imaging, allergy testing, etc.
- Pathology services – laboratory testing and analysis, emergency pathology testing, occupational and environmental testing, speech pathology, etc
- Counselling – mental health, alcohol, tobacco & other drug counselling, couples, wellness coaching, social work services
- Alternative therapies – acupuncture, reflexology, reiki, massage therapy, chiropractic, hypnosis, etc.
- Other medical services/therapies – weight management, chiropody, fertility services, stomal therapy, inherited diseases, artificial limbs, mobility, home and community care, clinical information, medical equipment, etc.
List all of the services you provide. Provide your visitors with information that will educate them about the benefits of using your services and direct them to your contact or appointment booking page.
Who We Are
The ‘About Us’ page should give a description of your business and explain to visitors what it stands for, its unique approach, supported community activities, etc.
This page should include any awards, accreditations, certifications, recognitions, publications, associations, etc., that can be used to promote your medical, dental, chiropractic, surgery services, etc. and position yourself above the competition.
(List all of your awards certifications, recognitions, accreditations, associations, publications, etc. in your About Us page. Image sourced from: squaremedical.com.au)
If you are looking for quicker, simpler and cost-effective ideas to grow your business online and get people to engage more on your site, then help prospects get to know you, your team and your business better.
You want people to relate to your business. One great way to do that is to have a page that introduces your team members. This page should include a photo and a mini biography. Since most visitors are probably not that well-versed in medical or health-related terms your descriptions should tell who they are and what their specialties are. You may also want to explain what those specialized areas do. This page should include social buttons that will allow your site visitors to follow your team members on their social pages.
In this page, make sure to outline your team member’s qualifications, why they are an asset to your team, and more importantly, how they will help add value to your clients’ business.
(Make sure to add a staff page. Screenshot image source: southperthchiro.com.au)
If you need help how to easily create and add an easy-to-maintain list directory of staff members in your site using free WP plugins, see this step-by-step tutorial: Tutorial: Adding A Staff Directory
Job Opportunities Page
This is a listing of job or career opportunities available within your company. It should include training, benefits, advancement opportunities, social aspects of working with your organization, etc. It should include information about career opportunities in the medical-related industry.
Include also a positions available section in your page. If there are no positions currently available, consider inviting people to return periodically to this page, join your newsletter, follow your social pages, etc.
Case studies and reviews from clients are a great way to attract prospective clients and showcase what type of services you offer. By adding a page with case studies and testimonials from previous clients, you will also help to establish social proof online.
(Add a web page with testimonials from past clients and case studies. Image sourced from: arrowsmiledental.com)
We have written a detailed article on using testimonials and reviews to grow your business online. Go here to learn more: Create Better Results Online Using Standout Customer Testimonials
Contact Us Page
Having a contact page is essential.
Your contact page should provide visitors with some or all of the following information about your business:
- Name Of Your Business
- Your physical address
- Telephone number
- Map and directions
- Web URL
- Contact form
- Name of person to contact
- Links to social media networks
- Live chat feature
If you have several locations you want to make this clear when displaying your address and contact info.
You could also include links to an FAQ page, main pages, online booking request, helpdesk, newsletter opt-in form, blog, etc.
A blog is a very powerful marketing tool. Blogs typically comprise of a content management system that is easy to use and allows you to promote your business using timely content like the latest news, updates, educational articles, discussions on current topics, promotional videos, infographics, etc.
If you already have an established website, then consider adding a WordPress-driven blog to promote your medical clinic.
If you don’t have a website yet, or if your existing medical-related website is very hard to keep updated or not giving you the results you want, then WordPress can act both as your website and your blog.
Very few businesses know that WordPress can turn into an automated traffic system that can instantly begin to attract targeted traffic to your web site, simply by publishing regular content to your website.
(WordPress can drive traffic automatically to your website)
Go here to learn more:
- WordPress Web Site Traffic Blueprint – Learn How To Create A Traffic Generation Machine With WordPress
Legal Info Pages
As a professional business, having a website that complies will all legal requirements online is crucially important. This is not only important for building trust with visitors, but also to ensure that no laws or regulations are being breached wherever you practice.
Depending on what products and services you provide, adding some or all of the following legal pages to your health or medical-related website will help keep you out of trouble with most regulatory authorities, third-party service providers (e.g. Facebook), and other potential legal threats or inconveniences:
- Contact Page
- Privacy Statement
- Terms And Conditions Of Use
- Website Disclaimer
- Affiliate Agreement
- Anti-Spam Policy
- Compensation Disclosure
- DMCA Notice
- Earnings Disclaimer
- External Links Policy
- Health and Financial Disclaimers
- Refund Policy
- Video/Audio Terms
We have written a comprehensive article on adding legal pages to your site. Go here to learn more: The Importance Of Adding Legal Pages To Your Website
Ways To Improve Your Web Content
In today’s globally competitive economy, having a content marketing strategy has become one of the key differentiators for businesses that sell similar products or provide similar services.
By providing useful content with information or tips, you will get your readers to share your information and come back for more content. Content marketing is the most effective way to inform and teach your visitors and prospects about your services.
For example, if you provide solutions that help people lose weight, then some of the areas you can write content about include:
- Potential health issues caused by being overweight
- How to identify the bad habits that need to be corrected to ensure lifetime weight loss
- How you eat your food - just as important as what you eat (eat at table, chew slowly)
- Vitamins and minerals that aid in weight loss (chromium, calcium, magnesium, etc.)
You can also create a series of informative articles that will help your your prospective clients gain a better understanding of your health or medical-related services, by explaining benefits, procedures, costs (including payment plans, insurance coverage, etc).
Remember to use keywords and terminology in your articles that readers will search to find you online.
We recommend subscribing to our Content Marketing Email Training Series. You will receive regular training emails with easy-to-digest information and practical tips that will teach exactly how to drive more traffic to your site, save money creating useful content that will add value to your site visitors and grow your website using content marketing strategies. It’s not only a great course with loads of useful information, it’s also 100% FREE!
Ways Of Improving User Experience
Improving user experience (known as UX) helps to keep visitors coming back and using your site. This section will show you ways you can improve visitor engagement and user experience.
Syndicate Content Using RSS Feeds
Adding RSS feeds can help to improve your visitor engagement and UX in many ways.
If you provide information that adds value to others, other businesses will want to syndicate your content.
Some of the benefits of having other businesses syndicate your content, include:
- All of your updates are in one place
- your content distribution doesn’t rely on email
- Can be shared and picked up by other sites online
- RSS feeds allow for subscribing
- It provides links back to your content
- Feeds can be submitted to RSS directories
- There are various ways your readers can receive your content (e.g. view the content on their mobile device using different applications)
- RSS is built into WordPress
There are also benefits to providing valuable content on your site from other sites, such as the fact that you don’t have to write, manage or update the content.
To find RSS feeds with useful content just visit sites of health-related government departments and key industry bodies.
Here are a few RSS feeds you could add to a medical site:
- US Department Of Health And Human Services – e.g. Latest news feed: http://www.hhs.gov/rss/news/hhsnews.xml, etc. You can search by departments and select specific feeds, like feeds on women’s health issues (e.g. Body image, Fitness and nutrition, Illnesses and disabilities, Minority women’s health, Pregnancy, etc.) here: http://womenshealth.gov/news/rss/rss-feeds.html
- US National Libraries Of Medicine – For a list of feeds from leading medical journals, publications and websites (e.g. The Journal of Experimental Medicine (JEM), ADA DiabetesCare , American Cancer Society, Occupational Medicine, Infectious Agents and Cancer, etc.) go here: http://www.healthplusplus.com/wiki/List_of_RSS_feeds_on_health
- National Institutes Of Health (www.nih.gov) - Get many health-related RSS feeds here: http://www.nih.gov/Subscriptions.htm
- US Food And Drug Administration (FDA) – Find RSS feeds on fda-related topics like FDA drug safety, food allergy reports, tainted products, drugs, etc. and podcasts here: http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/ContactFDA/StayInformed/RSSFeeds
- UK Department Of Health (www.gov.uk) – Latest news: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-of-health.atom
- The Department Of Health (Australian Government): http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/xml/rssLatestNews.xml
- Department Of Public Health (Australia – State Level): e.g. NSW – http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/pages/rss.aspx
- Centers For Disease Control And Prevention (www.cdc.gov) - Find various health-related news feeds and podcasts here: http://www2c.cdc.gov/podcasts/rss.asp
- Medical News Feeds: You can search medical news RSS feeds in major news publications like the NYTimes RSS feeds section (e.g. Fitness and nutrition: http://www.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/nyt/Nutrition.xml)
- MedicineNet – Weekly Health and Medical News Digest: http://www.medicinenet.com/rss/weeklyhealth.xml. You can also choose individual RSS feeds here (http://www.medicinenet.com/rss/article.htm) (e.g. Alzheimer’s Disease, Menopause, Cholesterol, Depression, Senior Health, HIV, etc.)
- Medical News Today – Featured Headlines: http://rss.medicalnewstoday.com/featurednews.xml
- Medical News Today – You can also choose specific feeds here: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/newsfeeds-rss (e.g. Eye Health/Blindness, Headache/Migraine, Radiology/Nuclear Medicine, Irritable-Bowel Syndrome, Alcohol/Addiction/Illegal Drugs, Sports Medicine/Fitness, Medical Practice Management, etc.)
You can also just search online for general RSS feeds, e.g. “medical rss feeds” or search for feeds on specific areas, e.g. “multiple sclerosis rss feeds”, “medical devices rss feeds”, “oncology rss feeds”, etc.
(Use RSS feeds to improve your health-related website’s UX.)
Checklists & Forms
Adding checklists and medical forms to your site is a fantastic way to increase visitor engagement, add value to your audience and set yourself apart from the competition. They can provide useful step-by-step information and resources to complete tasks. Checklists and forms are also great educational tools.
You can provide a range of online or downloadable checklists and forms (or links to these) covering areas such as:
- Checklists and forms for booking appointments
- Checklists for post-surgery recovery
- Health checklists and charts for specific systems
- Dental checklists – e.g. first visit, maintenance program, cosmetic dentistry, etc.
- Fitness and exercise program checklists
- General charts & infographics (e.g. sugar content in different foods, the importance of sleep at different ages, etc.)
Adding Online Tools
Providing unique online tools, gadgets and applications on your site is a great way to increase visitor engagement and add value to your visitors. Health-related calculators are useful tools for your website. Others could include things like diagnostic tools, and even recipes.
In part two, we will look at a several online tools you can add to your site using WordPress plugins that improve search engine optimization, increase user engagement and drive more traffic to your business.
This is the end of section one of this article on ways to improve your health web presence.
Click here to continue:
- Your Medical And Health Practice Services Website – Improve SEO, Increase User Engagement And Generate More Web Traffic With WordPress Plugins
"Wow! I never knew there's so much to learn about WordPress! I bought one of the WordPress for Dummies three years ago, such authors need to be on this course!" - Rich Law, Create A Blog Now