So far, here is what we have covered in this article series:
In Part One of this series, we provided an overview of the traffic automation process, and explained why using an expertly configured WordPress site is the key to generating automated traffic …
(With an expertly configured WordPress website or blog, all you have to do to start generating more traffic is publish new content on a regular basis!)
In Part 2, we discussed critical setup decisions. We explained the best way to get started if you don’t have a web presence yet, how to set everything up if you already have a website, and what to do if your existing site was built with WordPress.
(In Part 2 we show you where to set up WordPress on your domain)
In Part 3, we discussed the configuration phase. We explained how to configure hosting settings, WordPress settings, and external settings that affect your site’s ability to generate traffic automatically …
(In Part 3 you learn how to configure all the settings (hosting, WordPress and external) that can affect your website’s ability to generate traffic automatically)
In Part Four, you learned how to set up various plugins that can get new traffic automatically to your website whenever you begin posting web content.
(Publish once to WordPress and automate your content distribution to all other channels!)
In this article, we look at ways to optimize the traffic-getting process using various tools and strategies.
WordPress Web Traffic Automation System – Systems
In addition to getting your WordPress site expertly configured, the key to generating consistent traffic of high quality is having a clear business vision, sound digital planning, and great systems and process in place.
(Generating automated traffic is the result of having a clear business vision, sound planning, and systems)
Let’s review briefly the systems that will help you grow and manage your new traffic.
- Marketing Systems – How you create new traffic for your business.
- Technical Systems – The systems and processes used to keep your web presence up and running for receiving new traffic.
- Business Systems – How you manage and respond to new traffic.
(Systems help you grow, automate, optimize, and manage your traffic)
Let’s review the importance of the above systems briefly:
Your marketing systems consist of the processes and methods used to create new traffic for your business. Your marketing systems can be tested by asking questions such as:
- What is your content marketing strategy?
- What resources and portion of your budget will you allocate to your marketing channels?
- Who will create your content and marketing campaigns?
- How will you track conversions and measure the results of your campaigns?
During the setup and configuration phase, you should have installed an analytics program (e.g. Google Analytics). If you’re just starting out, you may want to consider investing in some paid advertising to help generate some results. If you’re tracking your marketing campaigns correctly, this should yield some actionable data, such as the keyword phrases people are searching online to find your website, which you can use to create web content better targeted to your audience’s needs.
Your technical systems and processes keep your online presence optimized for receiving new traffic. There’s no point driving traffic to your site if your site is constantly experiencing problems or your pages are taking a long time to load.
Your technical systems include handling areas like webhosting, website maintenance and support, installing and updating new applications (e.g. plugins), integration, customization, troubleshooting, etc.
Your technical systems can be tested by asking questions such as:
- Who looks after my webhosting?
- Who will look after my website and keep my site maintained and up-to-date?
- Who will fix errors, troubleshoot problems, provide technical support and advice, etc. if you experience difficulties?
Many potential problems can be minimized if your website planning and setup and configuration phases have been done correctly. As with all technology, however, there will always be new problems. You will need the right technical systems in place to handle these.
You need good business systems in place to help you manage and respond to traffic. These include:
- Communication systems
- Managing human and financial resources
- Handling sales inquiries
- Order fulfillment
- Customer training/service
If you plan to outsource your digital marketing and technical support, then you will need to put excellent systems in place to manage all outsourcing processes.
WordPress Web Traffic Automation Blueprint – Traffic Optimization Strategies
If your business objectives are clear and your systems and processes are in place, all you need to do is focus on how to develop, optimize, and further automate your “traffic loop”.
Let’s walk through an example of how to implement, optimize, and further automate a traffic loop. Take a look at the flowchart below …
(Implement, automate, and optimize a traffic loop)
Increase Reach And Visibility Online
The first step of the process is to increase visibility for your website.
Useful Tips & Ideas
- An expertly configured WordPress site allows you to automatically distribute your content to sites like Facebook, Twitter, GooglePlus, etc. The easiest way to increase your reach and visibility online, therefore, is to simply publish more content through your expertly configured WordPress site.
- As mentioned earlier, investing in some paid advertising (e.g. Google AdWords) can help you generate data, which you can use to create content better targeted to your audience’s needs.
- Repurpose your content to leverage the power and reach of different media formats.
- Continue learning about ways to get more web traffic using methods like LinkedIn advertising, PPC advertising, email ads, etc.
Tools, Plugins, & Strategies
See earlier sections of this tutorial series for a number of excellent tools and strategies we’ve already covered to help you reach more potential users.
Also, learn more about WordPress plugins that let you easily add the following to your website or blog:
- Share your posts online,
- Run contests, offer discounts/downloads for likes/shares,
- Accept user generated content, feeds, etc.
- Distribute content online in different media formats (e.g. videos, PDF guides, audio, etc.)
Build Authority & Credibility
Getting more content out there is great, but for this activity to be really effective, your content needs to be building authority and credibility with users.
Publishing higher quality content improves your chances of getting it shared on other sites and hence more traffic.
- Create and publish content that adds value to potential visitors and that showcases your expertise. This includes content that informs and educates readers, training content, user reviews, adding testimonials, etc.
- Consider publishing a “how to” guide that can be sold or distributed online.
Plugins, Tools, And Methods
We have created a comprehensive course on content creation that you can plug into for free here:
Also, if you haven’t already, learn more about plugins that let you easily add the following to your website or blog:
- Legal Pages
- Customer Support (e.g. Helpdesk, Live Chat, etc.)
- User Reviews
- Badges/Certificates Of Trust
Grow Influence And Engagement
As your business grows, you may want to consider developing “traffic on demand.” You can do this by building a list or starting a group.
With “Traffic On Demand,” most of your traffic comes from customers or subscribers – people who already like you and trust you. Your influence and reputation can be used to generate new traffic with a single blog post or broadcast.
- Encourage visitors to leave comments and start discussions on your site.
- Add an email newsletter and encourage people to subscribe.
- Add a paid or free membership site.
- Start or join a Facebook/LinkedIn Group.
Tools, Plugins, & Strategies
Many solutions and plugins are available that can help increase your influence and improve user engagement. For example:
- Autoresponders/Email Newsletters (e.g. Aweber, GetResponse, etc.)
- Contact Forms, Live Chat
- Forums & Social Communities (e.g. bbPress, BuddyPress)
- Polls & Surveys
- Webinars (e.g. Webinar JEO)
- Comment sharing
- Add media, video galleries, etc.
Identify Needs/Problems & Provide Solutions To These
By taking advantage of incoming traffic to listen to what users need, you can have an endless funnel of ideas for developing new services, products, and solutions, all of which can provide you with new opportunities to generate new sources of traffic.
Traffic Optimization Ideas
- Consider creating an online training course.
- Consider publishing PDF guides or special reports that can be sold or distributed online.
- Add an e-commerce store to your business.
Plugins, Tools, & Methods
If you plan to provide services and products online (as opposed to just providing information), see other posts and tutorials on this site to learn more about plugins that allow you to easily add the following to your site:
- Membership Sites (e.g. Wishlist Member, S2 Member, etc.)
- e-Courses (e.g. Courseware)
- Event Registrations (e.g. EventEspresso)
Analyze Data & Feedback
The final step of the process is to collect and analyze data. By learning to interpret data gathered from existing traffic, you can discover new traffic opportunities.
You should already have installed an analytics program like Google Analytics on your website. Make sure you also learn how to interpret the data.
WordPress Traffic System – Summary
Once you implement the above strategies, all you have to do is rinse and repeat, fine-tuning and refining your methods as you go to grow your traffic and improve your results.
- Start with an expertly configured WordPress site backed by good marketing, technical and business systems,
- Implement a content marketing strategy (consider also investing in some paid advertising to drive traffic and generate useful data) to increase your reach and visibility online,
- Add plugins, list-building strategies, and other methods if needed to help build authority and credibility, and also to improve engagement with visitors,
- Promote any new solutions, products or services using your existing channels and strategies to generate additional streams of traffic,
- Analyse your data and your results, automate your processes wherever possible, and begin the cycle again.
Hopefully, now you have a blueprint that will help you drive more visitors automatically to your website and build a more successful business online.
"Your training is the best in the world! It is simple, yet detailed, direct, understandable, memorable, and complete." Andrea Adams, FinancialJourney.org