If your website isn’t compliant with laws designed to protect the rights of consumers, you’re breaking the law.
Being non-compliant not only puts you at risk of incurring serious financial loss, but also the cost to your reputation. Why risk your money and reputation, when you can protect yourself so inexpensively?
In this article, we look at a simple and easy-to-use solution for WordPress users that can help make your website legally compliant just minutes.
Does Your Site Comply With The Law?
As the internet continues growing at breakneck speed and rules are constantly changing, it’s vital that you stay on top of what’s going on and to make sure that your site remains compliant with all laws and regulations, especially if your web presence is an essential aspect of your business strategy.
If there are no legal pages on your website (e.g. terms and conditions of use, privacy statement, financial disclaimers, etc.), many third-party sites such as Google won’t let you advertise, sites like ClickBank won’t approve your digital products on their network, PayPal may shut down your account and withhold payment of your funds, Facebook and many other social networks could suspend your web applications, and you won’t be allowed into a number of advertising or merchant networks.
You could also be inadvertently leaving yourself open and vulnerable to lawsuits or legal action.
At the very least, if your digital presence is not compliant, expect visitor trust and confidence in your business to be seriously affected.
Disclaimer: Please note that we are not lawyers and we offer no legal advice here.
The purpose of this article is to make you aware that:
- Your website may be subject to various legal requirements in accordance with mandatory laws that govern your business,
- How important it is to remain compliant with the terms of service of third-party providers whose products or services you are offering or using in your website, and
- There are solutions that can help your website become compliant, such as the solution that we review below.
In this article, we review a simple plugin for WordPress users that provides a total compliance and disclaimer solution for your site.
Let’s Review …
Compliance Bar – WordPress Plugin For Website Compliance
The Compliance Bar Plugin is a total compliance and disclaimer solution for your digital presence …
Go here to learn more: Compliance Bar Plugin
Here are just a few of the benefits and advantages of using Compliance Bar to instantly make your website legally compliant:
Compliance Bar Plugin is really easy to install. Just upload it to your Plugins folder via your WP admin login and activate.
Easily Editable Page Templates
You can easily modify the default compliance templates inside Compliance Bar from the settings menu with the WordPress visual editor.
Compliance Bar provides a dedicated team to assist users with anything they need.
Additional benefits and advantages include:
- Customized Compliance Templates: Compliance Bar will create your legal pages in seconds and customizes them to your business and website.
- Complete Video Training: Compliance Bar is not difficult to use and a complete library of training videos is provided.
- Can Be Used In All Countries: As long as you consult someone who is qualified to give you legal advice to ascertain if the legal templates provided with the plugin are suitable and satisfactory for your business, country and website, you can use the plugin anywhere in the world.
- Can Be Used For All Website Purposes: If your website or blog is powered by WordPress, you can use the plugin for any website purpose. Select only the types of disclaimers which pertain to your particular business model (e.g. affiliate or CPA marketing, business services, AdSense, AdWords, adult, medical, etc) and ignore any pages that you don’t need.
Compliance Bar offers many great features to site owners. Here are just a few:
- Quick and simple to install and implement. Be up and running in very little time.
- Display Attractive Icons – Display links to your legal pages using attractive icons that can be placed anywhere in your pages. You can also upload icons of your choice.
- Display Restricted Information – If you plan to display content that needs to be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. content related to alcohol, tobacco, adult, etc.), you can display popups that require users to accept your website’s terms and disclaimers.
- EU Cookie Compliance – If your business is based in the EU or display your content to visitors in the EU, you must make users aware of your user cookies and notify them of how you use them. Compliance Bar displays an attractive bar that notifies your users and covers you from non-compliance.
- Records And Stores IP Acceptance – Compliance Bar can record and store the IP address of your visitors for future reference, just in case a visitor accepts your terms or disclaimers and then claims they haven’t.
- Shortcode Driven – The plugin uses shortcodes that automatically populate legal pages with your personal information. These shortcodes also allow you to place information anywhere on your site or blog, (including the pop-ups).
- Works On Mobile Devices – Compliance Bar has individual settings for displaying on mobile devices and displays mobile optimized icons automatically based on the mobile browser being used.
Features – Details
After installing and activating the Compliance Bar plugin, you will get access to a number of sections where you can configure the plugin’s settings.
Let’s briefly review these areas …
There are a number of default categories in this area where your business information can be input (e.g. “Contact Name,” “Support Email,” “Location Details,” “Niche Area,” etc.). Not all categories are required, but some are (e.g. “Website URL,” “Support Desk URL,” etc.)
(Compliance Bar User Profile Section – Image source: plugin documentation)
The Compliance Bar Plugin uses dynamic shortcodes to automatically insert and display the information from your User Profile fields inside your legal pages …
(Compliance Bar User Profile Screen: Shortcodes – Image source: plugin documentation)
Once the minimum required (i.e. compulsory) data has been entered into the plugin settings fields, you can then access the other plugin screens.
The “Compliance Pages” section includes a list of all of the page templates …
(Compliance Bar: Legal Templates – Image source: plugin documentation)
Last time we checked the plugin website, there were over 20 legal pages available for complying with online business laws and regulations:
- About Us
- AdSense Disclaimer
- Affiliate Agreements
- Affiliate Disclosure Statement
- Amazon Affiliate Disclaimer
- Anti-Spam Policy
- Contact Us
- Copyright/DCMA Notice
- Double Dart Cookies
- Earnings Disclaimer
- External Links Policy
- FTC Statement
- Legal Disclaimer
- Linking Policy
- Medical Disclaimer
- Returns/Refund Policy
- Terms & Conditions
- Testimonial Disclosure
- XXX Disclosure
Creating legal pages for your blog or website can be easily done. Just select the check boxes next to the pages you want to create and click the “Save” button in the “Create Pages” section …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Legal Page Templates – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Your legal pages will then be created and added to the “Pages” section of your WordPress site.
Compliance Bar Icons
The plugin is installed with a built-in set of icons for referencing your legal pages …
Icons are customizable. You can purchase an additional set of icons from the plugin developer, or create/upload your own to match the style of your theme …
(Compliance Bar: Legal Template Icons – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
Edit / Delete Legal Pages
You can easily edit and delete your legal templates in the “Compliance Pages” screen, just as you would any typical WordPress page …
(Compliance Bar: Edit Compliance Templates – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
- Editing is recommended, as the pages contain generic content.
- The plugin notifies you if it detects existing similar pages on your site (e.g. legal pages created before installing the plugin).
You have various options to customize the Compliance Bar, including position, displaying links or icon images, background colors and images, image size, specifying which pages to include an icon for in the Compliance Bar, whether or not to display the Compliance bar on your main page, which pages the Compliance Bar will display in, mobile settings, etc. …
(Compliance Bar Section: Create Bar – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
- You can create more than one Compliance Bar to display different icons on different pages, or to cover a range of uses in other sections of your site.
- The plugin lets you display a Compliance Bar on the front page of your website, even if you are using particular WordPress theme frameworks (e.g. Genesis, Thesis or Woo), where the home page is specifically configured through the theme itself as a built-in template, and not as a normal “static” WordPress page.
- Due to the smaller size of mobile device screens, there is a limit to the number of page icons you can display if you turn Mobile Settings “on.”
Once you have specified your Compliance Bar settings, it will display links to your legal through dynamic icon bar on your site …
You have full control over the location on your pages where you would like your compliance bar to be featured …
If your website includes content that needs to be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. information related to alcohol, ecigs, dating, etc.), Compliance Bar can display pop-ups that blocks access to users who do not accept your website’s terms and disclaimers.
The “Create Pop Up” section gives you full control over the settings and wordings of your pop ups …
(Pop Ups Section: Create Pop Up – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
You can create more than one Pop Up for different pages, or to cover a range of uses throughout your site …
You can also specify a delay time to prevent Pop Ups from displaying immediately, set cookie durations to prevent Pop Ups from appearing again within a specific time period, and capture the IP addresses of visitors who accept your terms and disclaimers for future reference …
(Pop Ups Screen: IP Log Details – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
If you are based in the EU or display your content to visitors in the EU, you must make users aware of your user cookies and notify them of how you use them …
Compliance Bar lets you edit the settings for compliance with EU Cookies requirements, including the wording of your notification message and link text in the “EU Cookies” area …
(EU Cookies Screen: Manage Settings – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Compliance Bar has a non-intrusive way of notifying your visitors and covering you from non-compliance.
The “Page Templates” section, lists all of your legal templates and shortcodes, and lets you modify the page content …
The “General Settings” section, gives you access to general information, such as promoting and sharing the plugin and receiving plugin updates …
Feedback From Users
Here are just some testimonials and comments plugin customers have published about the Compliance Bar Plugin plugin:
”One of the Best Plugins I Have Used” Ray Lane – (The Video Guy)
”You wouldn’t drive a car around without insurance…so don’t RISK your online business by neglecting a simple, but important detail: website compliance. Grab your copy of Compliance Bar & protect yourself today!” Mike Thomas (The Mike From Maine Show)
Below are a few additional ways you can use The Compliance Bar Plugin:
- Displaying compliance icons on specific pages of your website only.
- Minimizing refund disputes by clearly spelling out your refund terms before customers purchase.
- If your site includes content that is inappropriate for persons below a certain age, you can force visitors to click to confirm that they are of legal age to access your content.
Compliance Bar Plugin Product Support
Plugin Developers provide users with a dedicated team to assist you. Plugin users also have access to a complete set of training videos.
Additionally, your purchase is backed by a no-risk, 30 day, 200% money-back guarantee. If your version of Compliance Bar does not work within 30 days of purchase and it cannot be fixed within 48 hrs (Monday to Friday), your purchase price will be refunded in double.
- Single – Can be installed on a single site. Cost = $37 (Normally $127)
- Business – Install the plugin on 25 domains that you own. Cost = $67.00 (Normally $197).
- Professional License – Can be installed on multiple sites that you own. Install the plugin on any client site for payment or as part of a paid service. Cost = $97.00.
Note: Pricing for the Compliance Bar Plugin product depends on whether there are any promotions or limited-time special offers. The above reflects the current pricing at the time this review was written. This may not be the actual price charged by the product developer when you visit the plugin site and you may be shown additional upsells or one-time offers after you’ve purchased.
Check the plugin’s website for the latest price here: Compliance Bar Plugin – WordPress Plugin For Website Compliance
Legal Page Templates Reviewed By Lawyers – The plugin developers state on their website that all legal page templates have been reviewed and approved by lawyers. Nonetheless, we highly recommend that you get advice from a qualified legal expert in your area for peace of mind.
For ”how to” videos showing plugin usage, including installation instructions and tutorials, FAQs, customer helpdesk, contact details and more, visit the Compliance Bar website.
Compliance Bar is an easy-to-use, simple and cost-effective solution for WordPress-powered sites. We recommend installing this WordPress plugin if you want immediate peace of mind and legal protection.
For more details, check out the plugin here: Compliance Bar Plugin – Compliance Bar – WP Compliance Plugin
Note: Once again, please note that we are not lawyers and we are not offering legal advice in this article. Do your own due diligence and consult a legal expert about the best way to ensure that your website is compliant with the law in your country or region.