Your website or blog needs to comply with a wide range of federal, state and even local laws and regulatory guidelines, some of which you are probably not even aware of.
Being non-compliant not only puts you at risk of incurring significant financial loss, but also the loss of your reputation. Why risk your money and your good reputation, when you can protect yourself so inexpensively?
In this article, we look at a simple and cost-effective WordPress solution that can help make your site fully compliant in minutes.
Is Your Website Legally Compliant?
As the internet continues growing at breakneck speed and rules keep changing, it’s vitally important to stay informed about what’s happening and to make sure that your site remains compliant with all laws and regulations, especially if your online presence is an integral part of your overall business strategy.
If you do not display certain legal pages on your website (e.g. terms of service, privacy statement, legal disclaimers, etc.), many sites such as Google won’t let you advertise, digital marketplaces like ClickBank won’t approve your digital products for sale, PayPal may close down your account and withhold payment of your funds, Facebook could suspend your applications, and you will not be allowed into a number of other advertising or affiliate marketing networks.
If your digital presence is not compliant, you could also end up facing a multitude of penalties, including fines, having your website shut down, even jail time!
At the very least, if your online business is not in compliance, it could impact on your visitors trust and confidence in doing business with you in the future.
(In addition to legal and regulatory compliance, almost all third-party services require you to comply with their policies!)
Legal Disclaimer: We are not lawyers and we are not offering legal advice on our website.
The purpose of this post is to make you aware that:
- Your website may be subject to various legal requirements in accordance with compulsory laws and regulations that govern your business (some of which you may probably not even be aware of),
- The importance of remaining compliant with the terms of service of third-party providers whose products or services you are promoting or endorsing on your website, and
- There are solutions that can help your site become compliant, such as the solution that we discuss in this article.
In this article, you will learn about a total compliance and disclaimer solution for your WordPress-based digital business.
Let’s Review …
Compliance Bar – WordPress Plugin For Website Compliance
Compliance Bar Plugin is an easy-to-install and simple-to-use plugin for WordPress users with over twenty customizable compliance disclaimer templates for your website …
More info: Compliance Bar
Benefits Of Using Compliance Bar
Below we have listed just some of the many benefits of using Compliance Bar Plugin to make your web site instantly compliant:
Quick And Simple To Install And Use. Be Up And Running In Very Little Time.
Compliance Bar is really easy to install. Just upload a zip folder that contains the plugin files to your Plugins folder via your WordPress dashboard and activate.
Easy To Edit Page Templates
You can easily edit the pre-built compliance page templates inside Compliance Bar from the settings menu with the WYSIWYG content editor.
The plugin developers provide dedicated plugin support to assist users if they experience any difficulties.
Some additional benefits and advantages include the following:
- Customized Compliance Pages: The Compliance Bar plugin will create your legal pages in seconds and customizes them to your business and website.
- Video Training: Compliance Bar is not difficult to use and a complete library of training videos is available.
- Use Anywhere In The World: As long as you consult a qualified legal representative to ascertain if the legal page templates provided in Compliance Bar are suitable and satisfactory for your business, country and website, you can use the plugin wherever your business is located.
- Can Be Used On All WordPress Sites: If your website is built with WordPress, you can use the plugin for any website purpose. Just select the legal pages you need to add to your site and leave out all other irrelevant pages.
Compliance Bar Plugin offers many unique features to WP users. Here are just some:
- Quick and easy to install and implement. Ready to go to work in no time.
- Display Visually Appealing Icon Bar – Display links to your legal pages using attractive icons that can be placed on different locations on your pages. You can also upload icons of your choice.
- Display Restricted Information – If your website publishes content that may be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. content related to alcohol, tobacco, dating, etc.), the plugin can display pop-ups that force users to accept your website’s terms and disclaimers.
- EU User Cookie Compliance – If you are based in Europe or display your content to visitors in the EU, you must be aware of EU Cookie law. Compliance Bar displays an attractive bar that notifies visitors and covers your business from non-compliance.
- Records And Stores IP Addresses – The plugin can record the IP address of your visitors for future reference, just in case a user accepts your terms or disclaimers and then claims they didn’t.
- Shortcode Driven – The plugin is integrated with shortcodes that automatically populate templates with your personal information. These shortcodes also allow you to place information anywhere on your site, (even in the pop-ups).
- Mobile Friendly – The plugin has settings for displaying on mobile devices and displays mobile optimized icons automatically depending on visitor browsers.
Using Compliance Bar Plugin
After installing and activating the plugin, you get access to a section where the plugin’s settings can be configured.
Let’s review these settings briefly …
There are a number of default fields in this area where your information can be entered (e.g. “Business Name,” “Support Email,” “Location Details,” “Company Registration Number,” etc.). Not all categories are required, but some are (e.g. “Business Name,” “Company Phone Number,” etc.)
(Compliance Bar User Profile Page – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
The plugin uses shortcodes to dynamically populate and display the information you’ve inputted into your User Profile in your legal pages …
(Compliance Bar User Profile Page: Shortcodes – Image source: plugin documentation)
Once the minimum required information has been entered into the user profile fields, users can then access the other plugin areas.
The “Compliance Pages” section includes a list of all of the legal templates …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Compliance Pages – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Last time we checked the Compliance Bar plugin website, there were over 22 compliance templates available, addressing all aspects of compliance:
- About Us
- AdSense Disclaimer
- Affiliate Agreements
- Affiliate Disclosure Statement
- Amazon Affiliate Disclaimer
- Anti-Spam Policy
- Contact Us
- Copyright/DCMA Notice
- Double Dart Cookies
- Earnings Disclaimer
- External Links Policy
- FTC Statement
- Legal Disclaimer
- Linking Policy
- Medical Disclaimer
- Returns/Refund Policy
- Terms & Conditions
- Testimonial Disclosure
- Adult Content Disclosure
You can easily create legal pages for your website or blog by simply selecting check boxes and clicking the “Save” button in the “Create Pages” screen …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Compliance Page Templates – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
Your legal pages will then be created and added to your “Pages” section.
Compliance Bar Icons
The plugin is installed with a default set of attractive icons for referencing your legal pages …
The icons are customizable. You can purchase an additional set of icons from the plugin developer, or create/upload your own to match the style of your site’s design …
(Compliance Bar Plugin: Legal Template Icons – Image source: plugin documentation)
Edit / Delete Legal Pages
You can customize and delete your legal disclaimers from the “Compliance Pages” tab, just as you would any typical WordPress page …
(Compliance Bar: Edit Legal Pages – Image source: plugin documentation)
- Editing the compliance templates is recommended, as the pages contain generic content.
- The plugin indicates if it detects existing similar pages on your site (e.g. pages created before you installed the plugin).
You have various options to customize the Compliance Bar, including position, displaying links or icon images, background colors and images, image size, specifying which pages should be included in the Compliance Bar, whether or not to display the Compliance bar on your main page, which pages the Compliance Bar will display in, mobile settings, and more …
(Compliance Bar Section: Create Bar – Image source: plugin documentation)
- You can create several Compliance Bars to display different disclaimers on different pages, or to cover a range of uses in different sections of your site.
- The plugin lets you display a Compliance Bar on the front page of your site, even if you are using a specific theme (e.g. Genesis, Thesis or Woo), where the home page is specifically configured through the theme settings as a built-in template, and not as a “regular” page.
- Due to the smaller size of mobile devices, there is a limit to the number of page icons you can display if you turn Mobile Settings “on.”
Once you have specified your Compliance Bar settings, it will display links to your legal using a visually attractive icon bar on your site …
You have complete control over the location on your pages where you would like to feature your compliance bar …
If your site includes content that needs to be restricted to certain age groups (e.g. information related to alcohol, tobacco, adult content, etc.), the plugin can display pop-ups that blocks access to visitors who do not accept your site’s terms and disclaimers.
The “Create Pop Up” section gives you full control over the settings and wordings of your pop ups …
(Pop Ups Screen: Create Pop Up – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
You can create several Pop Ups for different pages, or to cover different uses in different sections of your website …
You can also specify a delay time to prevent Pop Ups from displaying as soon as visitors arrive, set cookie durations to prevent Pop Ups from displaying again within a specific time interval, and record the IP addresses of visitors who accept your terms and disclaimers for future reference …
(Pop Ups Screen: IP Log Details – Screenshot source: plugin documentation)
If your business is based in Europe or display your content to EU visitors, you need to be aware of EU compliance requirements …
The Compliance Bar plugin lets you edit the settings for compliance with EU Cookies requirements, including the wording of your notification message and link text in the “EU Cookies” area …
(EU Cookies Section: Manage Settings – Image sourced from plugin documentation)
Compliance Bar has a non-intrusive way of notifying your visitors and covering you from non-compliance.
The “Page Templates” screen, lists all of your compliance templates and shortcodes, and lets you edit their content …
The “General Settings” menu, gives you access to general information, such as promoting and sharing the plugin and getting plugin update notifications …
Here are just some testimonials and feedback users have submitted for the Compliance Bar plugin:
”One of the most annoying parts about building out a site is to make sure it complies with the law. I always leave this part to the end because its painfully dry and boring and frankly I always just wished their was an easier way. Then I came across Compliance Bar and its literally the most versitile and brilliant plugin I have ever used. All my pages meet FTC requirements now and all I had to do was press a button! Anton and Jon..you guys friggen rock — 1000% highly recommend this!!” Anthony La Rocca – Founder (Hustle Marketing)
“Don’t Risk Your Online Business” Mike Thomas (The Mike From Maine Show)
Compliance Bar Plugin – Useful Tips
Below are a few useful ways you can use Compliance Bar:
- Displaying compliance icons only on specific pages.
- Ending refund disputes by clearly spelling out your refund terms before customers purchase.
- If you include adult content on your website, you can force visitors to click to confirm that they are of legal age to view your content.
Plugin Developers provide users with a dedicated plugin support team to help users if they experience any difficulties. You also get access to video training manuals.
Additionally, your purchase is backed by a no-risk, thirty day, 200% refund guarantee. If your edition of Compliance Bar does not work within 30 days of purchase and it cannot be fixed within 48 hrs (Monday to Friday), your purchase price will be refunded in double.
- Single Edition – Install the plugin on 1 domain that you own. Cost = $47 (Normally $127)
- Business – Install the plugin on up to twenty-five of your own domains. Cost = $67.00 (Normally $197).
- Developer – Can be installed on multiple domains that you own. Can be installed on any client site for payment or part of a paid service. Cost = $97.00.
Note: Current pricing for Compliance Bar Plugin depends on whether there are any promotions or limited-time specials being offered. The above reflects the current price when this content was written. This may not be the actual pricing set by the software author when you visit the plugin site and there may be additional upsells or one-time offers after purchasing.
Check the plugin’s website for current pricing details: Compliance Bar – WP Website Compliance Plugin
Additional Plugin Information
Legal Pages Approved By Lawyers – The plugin developers claim on their website that all legal page templates have been reviewed and approved by lawyers. Nonetheless, we strongly recommend that you get advice from a qualified legal expert in your area for your peace of mind.
For a demo video showing how the plugin works, including installation instructions and tutorials, FAQs, support help desk, contact details and more, visit the Compliance Bar website.
What We Recommend
Compliance Bar is an easy-to-use, simple and cost-effective solution for WordPress-powered websites and blogs. We recommend downloading and installing this plugin for WordPress users if you want immediate peace of mind and legal protection.
To learn more, visit the plugin website here: Compliance Bar Plugin – Compliance Bar Plugin – WordPress Plugin For Website Compliance
Important: Once again, please note that we are not lawyers and we cannot offer legal advice here. Do your own due diligence and consult a legal expert about the best way to ensure that your website is compliant with all legal requirements in your country or region.