Co-ordinating event registrations is a time-consuming process. You have to manage calendar schedules, date availability, registration numbers, data processing and storage, payments and invoicing, confirmations, reminders and alerts, refunds and cancellations … perhaps even accommodating special requests and providing tickets to event registrants.
There are lots of advantages to setting up an online event registration system. It can make your business more efficient, save time and lower expenses, help you easily reproduce previous events, give you more control, create a better user experience and increase your sales.
The problem is that setting up an online event booking system can be very expensive.
The good news is that if you own a WordPress-based web site, you can install an inexpensive and professional web-based event registration solution.
Event Espresso – Event Registration And Ticket Manager
The Event Espresso online event registration WP software lets you easily schedule your event and begin accepting registrations in minutes.
(Event Espresso lets you set up multiple events and receive online event bookings)
Event Espresso is a versatile and feature-rich software that gives you full control of your event registration management process.
Event Espresso lets you customize registration forms
You can employ a number of event registration strategies, from simple online registration and straight up ticket sales, to creating custom registration forms for collecting detailed information about your event participants, or integrating your event bookings with social media sites like Facebook.
Access detailed information about event attendees
Please Note: At the time of writing this article, Event Espresso supports two different versions of their plugin: EE 3 and Event Espresso 4. The new Event Espresso 4 is significantly different than the older EE 3, as it is being revamped using a different structure to enable future expansion. The Event Espresso 4 plugin platform has different features, user interface, data structure, coding method and price. The company plans to eventually phase out EE 3, so keep this in mind as you read more about the benefits and features of using the plugin.
Learn more about the plugin here:
Here are just a few of the benefits and advantages of using Event Espresso to manage event registrations on your site:
Hands-Free Event Registration Management
Event Espresso provides you with everything you need to turn your existing website or blog into an automated and fully featured event management site … from custom registration forms and automated emails, to seating capacity limits, multiple pricing levels and discount codes, to printable tickets and seating charts.
Higher Business Productivity
By using an online event registration system like Event Espresso, you save time and increase your business productivity by literally eliminating the need to process registrations manually.
Essentially, you are making it easier for attendees to perform the registration on their own.
Allowing your participants to do the data themselves frees up your time and lets you focus more energy on creating a more enjoyable event.
Full Control Over The User Experience
As you will soon discover, Event Espresso gives you more control over the event management and registration process that you want your clients to experience.
Some additional benefits of the plugin include:
- Significantly Lower Costs: The Event Espresso plugin provides you with an inexpensive online event registration management solution compared to other options or using a third-party service provider. The cost is kept low through a model where Event Espresso users pay for the core plugin (which suits the requirements of most users) and then buy add ons when you need additional functionality.
- Increased Sales: With Event Espresso you can accept online event sign-ups any time of day or night. Not only that, but, Event Espresso social features and add-ons (see below) let people who are interested in registering for your event share your information with others who may also be interested in attending.
- Green Event SignUp Process: With Event Espresso, your event sign up process can be kept entirely in digital form, eliminating traditional paper waste from tasks associated with enrollment.
- All Data Belongs To You. You control all the information you collect from your event participants.
Event Espresso provides functionality to end-users through built-in features (these come with the plugin) and additional features that customers can buy for an additional cost, called add-ons.
Event Espresso offers many built-in to web site owners. Here are just some of these:
- Fast and simple to install and configure. Ready to use in minutes.
- Custom Event Registration. Event Espresso lets you collect specific data using custom event registration forms on your web pages to plan a great experience for your event participants.
- Customizable Event Page Designs. You can customize your events and enrollments page using Event Espresso’s template options and elements, as well as HTML or CSS.
- Ticket Selector. Present multiple ticket options to registrants so they can purchase the ticket(s) that will best fit their needs.
- Custom Post Types. You can Event Espresso into your theme and display venue details throughout other areas of your site.
- Default Price Types. Price types allow you to create new prices that adjust the base ticket price for your system-default ticket.
- In-App Documentation. Event Espresso 4 comes with three detailed in-app documentation systems: Help Tours, Help Tabs and Tool Tips.
- Event Check-In List. Generate an exportable list of attendees and confirm everyone who attends.
- No-Ticket Events. Set up events without requiring registrants to get tickets. Event Espresso can be used for all types of events, not just when tickets are needed.
- Public Commenting. Add social interactivity to your event pages by allowing potential attendees to ask questions about your event and previous participants to post feedback that can help others decide whether or not to enroll. Moderation settings for commenting are configured via the WP default commenting admin area.
- Works With The Latest Version Of WP. The EE 4 user interface follows the WordPress guidelines to help you create visually attractive event pages that are easier to use and mobile-friendly.
- Complete Control Of Your Event Management. Event Espresso puts you in full control of all aspects of your event’s registration and ticketing, and also lets you automate the process with event management tools that include staff and venue management, customizable event page designs, payment processing and handling, wait lists, limits on attendees, print-ready tickets and more.
- Exportable Information. You can export all of your information gathered from event customers into Excel or CSV format for creating reports, devising marketing strategies, analyzing attendee statistics, and so on.
- Event Venue Profiles. The venue manager feature in Event Espresso 4 allows information about a venue to display throughout the Event Espresso admin and the front-end of your website to inform potential attendees of the location of your event. The venue profile displays many standard WP settings such as tags, categories, discussion settings, comments, etc., but also displays venue information like venue seating capacity, venue website, phone number, physical and/or virtual location, Google map, etc. You can also display venues in specific locations in your theme as well as on a venue archive page on your site where you can set up and display venue profiles for multiple events or display all the events for a given venue.
- Automatic Plugin Updates. Event Espresso provides easy 1-click software updates to ensure that you have the newest features and to keep your plugin installation compatible with the latest version of WordPress.
- Invoice Payment Reminders. Follow-up potential event registrants who have not made payment for their enrollment with a standard but personalized PDF invoice with one click of a button. Your invoices will address registered customers who have not paid their registration yet by name, give them the balance they owe, and include a link to the event details, a payment url and a url where they can download a PDF invoice.
- Event Posts. Publish your events using pages or posts and take advantage of WordPress custom post type features such as custom fields, post meta data, taxonomies, etc. You can also customize your page templates to display event information in your own unique way.
Additional features include:
- Hooks, Actions And Filters. These allow developers to implement safer and more reliable customizations and extensions to the Event Espresso software that are completely compatible with WordPress.
- Metabox Management And Organization. Event Espresso leverages the WordPress user interface, which gives you the ability to reorganize the user interface to suit your workflow. Each meta box can be collapsed, re-arranged or deleted from the page.
- Autonomy, Flexibility & Value: According to the mission statement on their website, Event Espresso’s aim is to “empower business and organization leaders with the event registration, ticketing and management tools that maximize the success of events.” To achieve their goals, the software has been built using a model that provides users with great autonomy and flexibility and delivers value for money as a result.
The premium version of Event Espresso also provides you with over 40 additional features, including:
- Live-filtering when searching for events inside the Event Espresso admin.
- Default surcharge (similar to applying a service tax to every ticket).
- Default payment status.
Event Espresso Add-Ons
In addition to an amazing range of features, Event Espresso provides “add-ons”, which allow end-users to further enhance the capabilities of your event management system.
Some of these add ons include:
- Events Vector Maps Template Add-on: The Vector Maps custom events list template allows you to display upcoming events by location. 4 maps are currently available: USA, UK, Canada and Australia.
- Recurring Events Manager Add-on: The Recurring Events management addon enables you to put events on autopilot by scheduling repeated events weeks or months in advance. You can add as many classes, meetings, courses and conferences in advance as you want. Event Espresso will then automatically open and close bookings for all recurring events.
- Events Category Accordion Template Add on: The Category Accordion template shows the categories as a simple list. Clicking a category name shows the events associated with that category and closes previously open categories.
- EE4 Events Social Sharing Add-on: This add on adds social sharing features to the end of your Event Espresso “thank you” page that lets your attendees to post a message about their event registration on Twitter and Facebook after registration.
- Custom Template Add on: The Custom Template add-on is capable of displaying your events in a number of exciting and interesting ways.
- Roles And Permissions Basic & Pro Add on Versions: This add-on lets you involve others in your organization to help manage your events and give new users permission to create events or regional managers the ability to manage events. The Roles and Permissions Basic add-on allows you to manage & customize the WordPress users roles and assign them different permissions with different capabilities, allowing others to help you manage your events or the events that others create. You can customize roles so that a user does not have access to certain parts of your WP dashboard and/or certain parts of your Event Espresso settings. If you’d like to allow users to have geographic responsibilities for events and users, use the Roles and Permissions Pro addon.
- Multi-Event Registration Addon: The Multiple Event registration add-on gives potential attendees the ability to book multiple events at once. In each event listing attendees will be given the option to either register for a single event or add multiple events to their shopping cart. With the Multiple Event Registration addon, attendees can register for several events at once and even add additional attendees to any of the same events in the same checkout process.
- Events Table Template Add-on: The Events Table Template add on gives event managers an easy-to-use system that allows you to edit the look and feel of your event lists. It comes with a simple table template with category filters, table search, table paging and more. It also enables web developers to design their own custom templates using one of the templates provided as a base template.
- JSON API Addon: The Event Espresso JSON API addon allows other software applications, web tools, mobile apps, etc… to access your Event Espresso data through an Application Programming Interface (API).
Note: Event Espresso regularly adds new features and improvements to its plugin, including new addons.
To learn more about the newest Event Espreso features and addons, check out the plugin here:
Here are some of the many great testimonials that satisfied customers have written about Event Espresso:
”I can’t even imagine what I would want the plugin to do that it doesn’t already do. I’m really happy with the features.” Jim Harmer
”I searched long and hard to find something that would serve my needs. This is, by far, the most complete and comprehensive solution I have found.” Bill Hepper, We Teach Live
”At first we looked at CVENT for one of our clients and they wanted $16,000 per year for 3000 event attendees + fees totaling $22k. That is before Staff and Webinar fees. Worst of all we had to prepay the $16k amount even if we never used all 3000 attendees. That was when we looked at Event Espresso and we realized we could build our own event system for less than 16K. For the most part we have been very satisfied with our decision. The real ROI will come next year when they don’t have to pay another 16k-22K! Over the next 5-6 years we should be able to claim that we saved the company over $100,000 – Thanks Event Espresso!” David Waterman (Long Version), KT Benefits & InkItDigital.com
Whether you are an education services provider, teacher, conference planner, or event management professional, there are just unlimited possibilities of what you can achieve with the Event Espresso software.
After downloading your copy of the plugin and becoming a licensed owner, go through the forums for useful ideas and practical suggestions to improve your event management and registration workflow or enhance the experience of your event customers.
Event Espresso works with with most WordPress plugins and WP themes that follow WP coding standards. If you experience issues with the plugin, however, you will find that Event Espresso provides highly responsive user support, as so many of its users attest:
“I’m really impressed with not only the application itself but the support. I have rarely seen such a responsive support staff than at EE. They rock…I highly recommend this plugin!” sock2me
Event Espresso provides robust support that includes access to support forums, comprehensive online documentation with faqs, knowledge base and how tos, email support and even a monthly VIP member pass that gives you access to community of developers, designers, event managers, publishers and webmasters that use Event Espresso tools, plus faster support response times.
In addition, Event Espresso boasts a well-staffed team of experienced WordPress web developers with a solid track record of support, so this is definitely a plugin you can count on to manage your events.
Event Espresso is available in various plugin editions, including a FREE basic edition (referred to as Event Espresso Decaf). For personal support and advanced plugin functionality, however, you may want to consider downloading one of the premium plugin versions below:
- Personal Licensing – This lets you install Event Espresso on one domain only. Includes 51+ Premium features, (add-ons sold separately) and one year of upgrades and support. Cost = $69.95.
- Everything Licensing – This lets you set up Event Espresso on 1 domain only. Pricing includes 51+ Premium features, 29 Premium addons and one year of upgrades and support. Price = $279.95.
- Developer License – This license option lets you set up Event Espresso on five sites. Includes 51+ Premium features, (add-ons sold separately) and one year of upgrades and support. Price = $249.95.
Price details for the Event Espresso plugin depends on whether there are any promotions or limited-time specials being offered. Presently, the software is being retailed for the amounts shown above. Check the plugin’s website for the current pricing: Event Espresso – Event Espresso
Please Note: The above reflects the pricing when this article was written. This may or may not be the actual pricing charged by the plugin author when you visit the site.
Additional Plugin Information
Event Espresso regularly adds new features and improvements to its software. Make sure to register for their newsletter when you visit their site to receive the latest information and updates.
Search the software’s online documentation pages to find answers to common questions about setup and how to use Event Espresso, and visit the support forums for questions related to a particular situation, or to report problems and leave feedback.
For detailed installation and support documentation, demos, downloads, videos, tutorials, FAQ and more, visit the Event Espresso web site.
Event Espresso is the leading WP event booking and ticketing manager plugin, used by thousands of WordPress site owners.
If you own a WordPress website and you currently run any event that involves managing dates, times and venues, enrolling attendees, and/or selling seating, then you will probably not find a more suitable solution for your needs than Event Espresso.
To learn more, visit the plugin website here: Event Espresso – WordPress Event Registration & Ticketing Management Plugin