Co-ordinating event sign-ups is a time-consuming process. You need to manage scheduling, available dates and spaces, attendee numbers, data administration, collecting payments and sending invoices, confirmations, reminders, refunds and cancellations … perhaps even accommodating special requests and delivering tickets to event registrants.
There are many advantages to setting up an automated web-based event registration system. It can streamline your business processes, save time and reduce expenses, help you easily reproduce previously-run events, give event managers more control, create a more enjoyable user experience and grow your sales.
The problem is that setting up a web-based event registration system can be very expensive.
The good news is that if you own a WordPress-based site, you can easily set up a very inexpensive and highly professional online event booking system.
Table of Contents
Event Espresso – WordPress Event Registration And Ticket Manager Plugin
The Event Espresso online event registration plugin allows you to easily schedule an event and begin processing bookings in just minutes.
(Set up multiple events and process online bookings with Event Espresso)
Event Espresso is a versatile and feature-packed plugin that gives you complete control over your event registration management process.
Create custom event registration forms
You can use various event registration strategies, from simple online enrollments and straight up ticket-selling, to setting up custom registration forms for collecting detailed information about your participants, or integrating your event registration forms with an autoresponder system for ongoing notifications.
View detailed information about event attendees
Note: Currently, Event Espresso supports two different versions of their software: EE 3 and Event Espresso 4. The new EE 4 is significantly different than the older Event Espresso 3, as the plugin is being redeveloped using a different structure to accommodate future growth and expansion. The Event Espresso 4 plugin platform has different features, user interface, data structure, coding method and price. The company plans to eventually transition completely to Event Espresso 4, so keep this in mind as you read more about this plugin.
For more details go here:
Here are just a few of the benefits of using Event Espresso to manage event registrations on your site:
Automated Event Registration Management And Ticketing System
Event Espresso provides you with everything you need to turn your existing online presence into a fully-featured and automated event management website … from custom registration forms and automated response emails, to seating capacity limits, multiple price options and discount codes, to printable tickets and even seating charts.
Increased Business Productivity
By using a web-based event registration system like Event Espresso, you save time and increase your business productivity by virtually doing away with the need to process registrations and sign-ups manually.
Essentially, you are enabling event participants to register themselves.
Letting your clients to do the data entry frees up your time and lets you concentrate more of your energy on planning a better event.
More Control Over The User Experience
As you will learn shortly, Event Espresso gives you complete control over the event management process that you want your customers to experience.
Some additional benefits and advantages include:
- Reduced Costs: Event Espresso provides you with a very inexpensive online event registration management solution compared to building your own system or using a third party provider. The cost is kept low through a model where Event Espresso users buy the core plugin (which suits the needs of most users) and purchase optional addons only if you need extra functionality.
- Higher Sales: Event Espresso allows you to accept online event registrations outside normal business hours. In addition, Event Espresso social features (see below) let people who are interested in registering for your event invite other people they know who may be interested.
- Green & Paperless Event Booking Process: With Event Espresso, your event sign up process can remain entirely online, eliminating traditional paper consumption from tasks associated with admin and record-keeping.
- Own Your Data. You own all the data you obtain from event participants.
Event Espresso provides functionality to its customers through standard features (these come with the software) and optional features that you can buy for an extra cost, called add-ons.
Event Espresso provides many unique built-in to website owners. Here are just a few:
- Quick and easy to install and implement. Ready to start accepting registrations in minutes.
- Multiple Ticket And Pricing Options. Event Espresso allows you to create as many different types of tickets as you need and set prices, maximum number of tickets, and more.
- Event Calendar. Participants can easily see your events and add these to their schedule with the calendar.
- Tax Administration. Event Espresso 4 gives you several ways to handle taxes for an event and report tax fees to registrants who purchase tickets. You can configure taxes globally and on a ticket-by-ticket basis.
- Google Maps. Google Maps integration allows event managers to customize the look and control settings of Google Maps on the event listing and event details pages.
- Default Prices. Create events quickly by pre-configuring default prices.
- Discount And Promotional Codes. Set up promotional and multiple discount codes to incentivize visitors to register without delaying, or simply make your offerings more appealing for price-sensitive prospects. Also useful if you want to sell out events close to timelines.
- Event Check-In List. Generate a list of participants and check-in those who have attended.
- Waiting Lists. Interested persons can subscribe to a waiting list if your event has reached the limit of participants. You can also specify that waiting list members pay for their spots if you plan to expand capacity for your event.
- XML RSS Event Feeds. Keep your customers up-to-date about your events, drive quality traffic and expand your content reach with the built-in XML RSS events feed.
- Draft (status) Events. Draft events let you develop your event page over multiple sessions without displaying it live on your site. You can keep building your event pages until you are ready to go live, or schedule your event to publish at a later date and time.
- Your Organization Settings. Configure your profile to display throughout the plugin and your front-end templates. The organization fields include: business name, address, city, state, country, zip code, primary contact email address, phone, VAT/tax number, logo, Facebook URL, Twitter profile URL, LinkedIn URL, Pinterest profile URL, Google+ profile URL, Instagram profile URL.
- Import Events. EE 4 provides a CSV-based importing capability that lets you quickly upload bulk event data at once. You can export, edit and import information about events, datetimes, ticketing details, prices, custom registration questions, venues, terms, taxonomies, term relationships and more.
- Event Venue Manager. The venue manager feature in EE 4 allows details about a venue to appear throughout the Event Espresso admin and the front-end of your website to inform potential registrants of the location of your event. The venue record has many standard WP settings such as tags, categories, discussion settings, comments, etc., but also lets you republish venue details such as venue seating capacity, venue web address, telephone number, venue address, Google map, etc. You can also display all of your venues throughout specific locations of your WP theme and on a venue archive page on your website where you can set up and publish venue profiles for multiple events or display every event you have booked for a particular venue.
- Automatic Upgrading. Event Espresso offers simple 1-click updating to ensure that you have the latest features and to keep your software installation working with the latest version of WordPress.
- Invoice Payment Reminders. Follow-up potential event customers who have not fully paid for their registration with a standard but personalized invoice with just one click of a button. Your invoices will reference registered participants who have not paid their registration in full by name, give them the balance they owe, and include links to the event details, a payment link and a link to download a PDF invoice.
- Event Reports. Quick-view event reports provides you with data of your registrations and transactions, allowing you to track the performance of your events with the aggregate number of people who have registered and amount of revenue you’ve collected.
Additional features include:
- Hooks, Actions & Filters. These features allow web developers to implement safer and more reliable customizations and extensions to the Event Espresso software that are compatible with the WordPress software platform.
- Maintenance Mode. Pause registrations for normal site visitors when you need to perform maintenance on your site. You can continue to work on your event pages during maintenance mode.
- Flexibility, Autonomy & Value: Event Espresso states on their website that their mission is to “empower business and organization leaders with the event registration, ticketing and management tools that maximize the success of events.” To achieve their mission, the company operates on a modular and highly efficient model that provides users with great autonomy and flexibility and delivers value for money in the process.
The premium edition of Event Espresso also comes with 40+ added features, including:
- Live-filtering when you search for events inside the Event Espresso admin.
- Question groups that make it easy to reuse the same questions for similar events.
- Category titles and descriptions on event listings.
In addition to an incredible array of features, Event Espresso provides “addons”, which allow you to significantly expand the capabilities of your event management process.
Some of these add ons include:
- Events Vector Maps Template Addon: The Vector Maps custom events list template lets you display upcoming events by location. There are 4 maps available: USA, UK, Canada and Australia.
- Recurring Events Manager Addon: The Recurring Events management add-on enables you to put events on autopilot by scheduling repeated events weeks or months in advance. You can add as many future events as you want. Event Espresso will then automatically open and close registrations for all of your recurring events.
- Events Category Accordion Template Addon: The Category Accordion template displays categories in a simple list. Clicking a category name displays all events associated with that category and closes previously open categories.
- Social Coupons Integration Addon: If your site uses Groupon.com you can easily accept Groupon codes to your events. You can even specify whether events accept the social coupons or not.
- WP User Integration: The WP User Integration addon allows you to take advantage of the WP user system. With the WP User Integration addon you can give users a special incentive by offering member pricing and overriding event pricing when your members are logged in. You can even set up member-only events where only registered website users can have access to these special events. Members can also enter personal information into their profile page allowing them to quickly register for events by auto-filling in the personal information on the event booking form. Users can also view event history and make payment for events.
- Roles And Permissions Basic & Pro Add-on Versions: This add on lets you involve other staff in the event management process and give new users the ability to create events or regional managers permission to manage events. The Roles and Permissions Basic add-on allows you to manage & customize the WP users roles and assign them different permissions with different privileges, so others can help you manage your events or events that other people create. You can customize roles so that a user does not have access to certain sections of your WP dashboard and/or certain parts of your Event Espresso settings. If you’d like to allow users to have geographic responsibilities for events and users, use the Roles and Permissions Pro add on.
- Event Ticketing Add-on: The Ticketing add-on adds the capacity to generate tickets with bar codes. The Bar Scanning addon gives you the ability to scan ticket barcodes. The ticketing addon includes the ability to customize event tickets. Multiple bar code types are included for handling check-in scans at the venue door. People can either print out their tickets or display them on their mobile devices. The mobile app can be used for checking in or checking out attendees and to validate tickets.
- Events Calendar Add-on: This add on uses the WP calendar to display events and categories of events in an attractive graphical calendar.
- MailChimp Integration Add on: The MailChimp add on allows you to auto-register attendees to a particular autoresponder list or group within your MailChimp account.
Note: The Event Espresso development team is continually adding new features and improvements to the plugin, including new addons.
To learn more about the newest Event Espreso features and add-ons, visit the plugin website here:
Below are just some of the many testimonials that satisfied plugin users have written about Event Espresso:
”Event Espresso is one of the nicest Event Managers (WP Plugin) I have come across.” Joe Distefano, Citizen Joe
”When you can get a company to expend more money switching systems just to use your plugin…you’ve really accomplished something.” David, House of Prayer
”I’m using it on multiple sites and enjoying it. It’s simple and as others have stated… fast service and real help.” Arlen Nagata
Whether you are a gym owner, presenter, conference promoter, or event professional, there are simply endless possibilities of what you can achieve with the Event Espresso software.
After downloading your copy of the plugin and becoming a licensed owner, go through the user forum for useful ideas and practical ways to improve your event management process or improve the experience of your event attendees.
Event Espresso is fully compatible with most WP plugins and WP themes that follow WordPress coding standards. If you experience issues with the plugin, however, you will find that Event Espresso provides highly responsive user support, as many of its clients attest:
”Thank you Seth for being so responsive and going above and beyond the call of duty with your app! I highly recommend Event Espresso for its functionality and for the stellar support. Seth has a deep knowledge and understanding of WordPress and has built a tool that is seamless to use for both organizer and attendee alike! After looking at a bunch of alternatives, Event Espresso far surpasses the other apps that are available.” Wendy Troupe, ICS North Pole Express
Event Espresso provides comprehensive support that includes access to a support forum, in-depth online documentation with faqs, knowledgebase and how tos, one-on-one support and even a monthly VIP member pass giving you access to community of developers, designers, event managers, publishers and webmasters that use Event Espresso tools, plus faster support response times.
In addition, Event Espresso boasts an established team of experienced web developers with a proven track record of support, so this is definitely software you can count on to manage your events.
Event Espresso is available in different plugin editions, including a FREE basic edition (referred to as Event Espresso Decaf). For personal support and advanced software features, however, you may want to consider purchasing one of the paid plugin versions below:
- Personal Licensing – This edition lets you run Event Espresso on one site only. Cost includes 51+ Premium features, (addons sold separately) and 1 year of upgrades and support. Cost = $69.95.
- Everything License Edition – This allows you to set up Event Espresso on 1 domain only. Pricing includes 51+ Premium features, 29 Premium add ons and one year of upgrades and support. Price = $279.95.
- Developer License Edition – This edition allows you to set up Event Espresso on 5 domains. Includes 51+ Premium features, (addons sold separately) and one year of upgrades and support. Cost = $249.95.
Pricing for the Event Espresso plugin depends on whether there are any promotions or limited-time special offers. Currently, the plugin retails for the pricing shown above. Check the plugin’s website for the current price: Event Espresso – Event Registration & Ticket Management
Please Note: The above reflects the pricing when this article was written. This may or may not be the actual price charged by the plugin seller when you visit the site.
Event Espresso regularly adds new features and improvements to the software. Make sure to register for their newsletter when you visit their site to receive the latest information and updates.
Look up the software’s online documentation pages to find answers to common questions about setup and using Event Espresso, and the support forums if you have questions related to your specific use-case, or to report errors and leave feedback.
For detailed installation and support documentation, demos, downloads, videos, tutorials, FAQ and more, visit the Event Espresso web site.
Event Espresso is the preferred WordPress event registration and ticketing manager software, used and trusted by thousands of businesses.
If you are a WordPress site owner and you currently run an event that requires scheduling dates, times and venues, enrolling participants, or booking tickets, then you will probably not find a more suitable plugin for your needs than Event Espresso.
For full details, check out the plugin here: Event Espresso
Recommended Video Courses For WordPress Users
cPanel is a powerful and simple-to-use web hosting management software application that gives website owners the ability to quickly and easily manage their servers and websites using a simple and intuitive dashboard.
This video course will teach you how to use the main features of cPanel to manage your web hosting.
More info: How To Use cPanel
Recommended Video Courses For WordPress Users
Learn how to optimize your WordPress site and improve your page loading speed.
More info: How To Optimize WordPress
Recommended Video Courses For WordPress Users
Learn how to install, set up, and locally host a fully functioning WordPress site on your computer.
More info: How To Set Up WordPress On Localhost
Recommended Video Courses For WordPress Users
This video course shows you how to use FTP (File Transfer Protocol) to transfer and upload files between your hard drive and your server using a free FTP program called Filezilla.
More info: How To Use FTP