Co-ordinating event sign-ups is a complex and time-consuming process. You will most likely be required to co-ordinate scheduling, event dates, participant numbers, data collection, collecting payments and sending invoices, confirmations and reservations, reminders and alerts, refunds and cancellations … perhaps even accommodating special needs and delivering tickets to attendees.
There are many benefits to setting up an automated online event registration system. It can streamline your business processes, save time and reduce expenses, help you easily replicate repeat events, give event managers more control, improve customer experience and grow your sales.
The problem is that this can be quite costly.
Fortunately, if you run a WordPress-based website, you can easily set up a very inexpensive and highly professional web-based event registration solution.
Table of Contents
The Event Espresso online event registration plugin allows you to easily schedule multiple events and begin processing registrations in a few minutes.
(Set up multiple events and receive online event bookings with Event Espresso)
Event Espresso is a versatile and feature-rich application that gives you complete control of the event registration management process.
Customize event registration forms
You can employ a number of event registration strategies, from simple online enrollments and straight up ticket-selling, to creating custom registration forms in order to better understand your event participants, or integrating your event bookings with social media sites like Facebook.
View detailed information about your event attendees
Note: At the time of writing this article, Event Espresso offers two different versions of their software: EE 3 and EE 4. The new EE 4 is impressively different than the older EE 3, as the platform has been rebuilt using a different structure to allow for future growth. The EE 4 plugin platform has different features, user interface, data structure, coding method and price. The developers aim to eventually transition completely to Event Espresso 4, so keep this in mind as you read more about this plugin.
For more details, visit the plugin site here:
Here are just a few of the benefits of using Event Espresso to manage event registrations on your web site:
Hands-Free Event Registration Management
Event Espresso provides you with everything you need to turn your current digital presence into a fully-featured and automated event management website … from custom registration forms and automated response emails, to seating limits, multiple price options and discount codes, to printable tickets and even seating charts.
Increased Business Productivity
By using a web-based event registration solution like Event Espresso, you save time and improve your business productivity by virtually doing away with the need to process registrations and bookings manually.
Basically, you are making it easier for attendees to enroll on their own.
Allowing your enrollees to do the data entry frees up your time and lets you direct more of your energy on creating a more unique event.
Full Control Over The User Experience
As you will discover in a moment, Event Espresso gives you complete control over the event management and registration process that you want your participants to experience.
Some additional benefits include the following:
- Significantly Lower Costs: Event Espresso provides you with an inexpensive online event registration management solution compared to developing your own software or using a 3rd-party service. The cost is kept to a minimum through a model where you pay for the core plugin (which suits the requirements of most users) and purchase optional add-ons when you need extra functionality.
- Increased Sales: Event Espresso lets you accept online event bookings outside normal business hours. Not only that, but, Event Espresso social sharing addons (see below) let people interested in attending your event share your information with other people they know who may be interested in attending.
- Green Event SignUp Process: With Event Espresso, your event registration process can be transacted entirely in digital form, reducing traditional paper consumption from tasks associated with administration.
- Own Your Data. You own all the data collected from your event participants.
The Event Espresso software delivers functionality to end-users via standard features (these are included with the plugin) and optional features that users can purchase, called add-ons.
Event Espresso provides many great features to web site owners. Here are just a few of these:
- Quick and simple to install and configure. Ready to use in minutes.
- Multiple Ticket And Pricing Options. Event Espresso allows you to set up as many different types of tickets as you need and specify unique pricing options, limits on ticket quantities, and more.
- Custom Confirmation Emails. Easily configure custom automated registration and payment notification email messages to communicate with event attendees.
- Collect Payments. Event Espresso seamlessly integrates with leading payment gateways, allowing you to collect payments prior to running your events.
- Intelligent Single Page Checkout Process. The Event Espresso 4 checkout process is fast and intuitive. Registrants are given the option to automatically copy the primary registrant’s details for any additional registrants.
- Spam Protection. Prevent the chance of spammers and bots making false registrations on your site by using reCAPTCHA option that confirm human activity.
- Discount & Promotional Codes. You can leverage promotion and discount codes to incentivize prospects to make a decision now, or simply make your offerings more affordable for price-sensitive customers. Also useful for helping to increase sales of events close to deadlines.
- Manual Registration. you have the option of registering event attendees at the door, or sending in paper registration forms for manual registration later.
- Waiting Lists. Latecomers can join a waiting list if your event has reached maximum capacity. You can also specify that waiting list registrants pay for their spots if you plan to expand numbers for your event.
- Private Comments On Contacts. Keep comments about event participants on their profile. Private notes allows you to keep a record of when users contacted you, your internal notes, and how you’ve interacted with them.
- Keyword-Rich Page URLs. Keyword rich event page Web links take advantage of your WordPress site’s Permalinks configuration settings. “Pretty” urls with topic-relevant keywords enhance the context of your events and improves your search rankings, helping you drive more traffic to your events.
- Multi-Language Application. Event Espresso can be run in more than 15 languages, and more languages are being added all the time.
- Default Tickets. If you create identical tickets for your events, you can set up as your default ticket for all new events simply by ticking a checkbox.
- WP WYSIWYG Editor. Event Espresso uses the built-in WP WYSIWYG editor, allowing you to quickly and easily insert photos and write your event descriptions without knowing HTML or CSS, just like any other WordPress post or page.
- Event Espresso Community. Event Espresso lets you network with a community of experienced event managers, programmers, designers, web marketers and businesses who also use the software. You can interact with other Event Espresso users through their community chat room, support forums, job board, and social media discussions on Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin and Google+.
- Invoice Payment Reminders. Follow-up potential registrants who have not fully paid for their admission with a standard but personalized PDF invoice with just one click. Your invoices will address registered attendees who have not paid their registration yet by name, display the amount they owe, and include a link to the event information, a payment url and a url to download the invoice.
- Attendee Reporting. Event reporting gives you information of your registrations and transactions, enabling you to measure the performance of your events with the aggregate number of registrations and amount of revenue you have collected.
Extra features include:
- Define Extra Meta Information. This feature allows web developers to have more control and options over your content and how your information displays to visitors.
- Maintenance Mode. You can pause registrations for normal site traffic when you need to perform maintenance on your site. You can still work on the back-end of your site during maintenance mode.
- Autonomy, Flexibility & Value: According to the mission statement on their site, Event Espresso’s objective is to “empower business and organization leaders with the event registration, ticketing and management tools that maximize the success of events.” To achieve their objectives, the company operates on a model that provides users with great autonomy and flexibility and delivers value for money as a result.
The premium edition of Event Espresso also comes with over 40 added features, including:
- Email shortcodes that includes customer data in confirmation emails and newsletters.
- Default surcharge (similar to adding a service fee to tickets).
- Category titles and descriptions on event listings.
Event Espresso Add-Ons
As well as a comprehensive range of features, Event Espresso provides “add ons”, which allow end-users to further enhance the functionality of your event management system.
Some of these add-ons include:
- Events Grid Template Add-on: Displays events in a pure CSS grid-like structure using the featured image. Hovering over the image will display further information. If an event does not have a featured image, a default image will be used.
- Recurring Events Drop-down Template Add on: The Recurring Events Drop-down custom template lets you organize events with many datetimes into a drop-down list.
- Events Calendar Table Template Addon: The Calendar Table template is a list template with a bold date and customizable “register now” button. The template can also be customized to show an event thumbnail image instead of a date.
- EE4 Events Social Sharing Addon: This add on adds social sharing features to the end of your Event Espresso “thank you” page that lets your attendees to share a message about their event registration on Twitter and Facebook after registration.
- Custom Template Addon: The Custom Template add on is capable of displaying your events in a number of exciting and interesting ways.
- Seating Chart Add on: The seating chart addon is for venues and events that sell and reserve seats for attendees in advance. This is ideal for venues and events such as theaters, concert halls, play houses, sports arenas and stadiums. The Seating Chart add on lets you offer reserved or assigned seating to your events and venues from your WordPress website. The Seating Chart add-on lets you control the experience for your customers and design assigned seating charts and attach single pricing to each seat.
- EE4 Event Ticketing & Bar Scanning Add-on: The Ticketing addon adds the capacity to create tickets with bar codes. The Bar Scanning add on adds the capacity to scan ticket barcodes. The ticketing addon includes the ability to customize event tickets. Multiple barcode types are included for managing check-in scans at venues. Registrants can either print out their tickets or display them on their mobile devices. The mobile app can be used for checking in or checking out attendees and to validate tickets.
- EE4 Events Table View Template Add-on: The Events Table Template add-on gives event managers an easy-to-use system that allows you to change the look and feel of your event lists. It comes with a simple table template with category filters, table search, table paging and more. It also lets web developers build their own custom templates using one of the included templates as a source template.
- MailChimp Integration Add-on: The MailChimp addon allows you to auto-register attendees to a specific mailing autoresponder list or group within your MailChimp account.
Note: The Event Espresso development team is continually adding new features and improvements to its plugin, including new addons.
For complete details about the latest Event Espreso features and add-ons, check out the plugin here:
Users – Testimonials
Here are just some of the testimonials that satisfied users have written about Event Espresso:
”Event Espresso is one of the nicest Event Managers (WP Plugin) I have come across.” Joe Distefano, Citizen Joe
”I have to say that it has been the right choice for me…I’ve been extremely pleased with the way my site is working.” Robin, RobinTime
”I’m using it on multiple sites and enjoying it. It’s simple and as others have stated… fast service and real help.” Arlen Nagata
Whether you are a motivational speaker, trainer, concert promoter, or event consultant, there are simply endless possibilities of what you can achieve with the Event Espresso software.
After downloading the plugin and becoming a licensed user, search the support forum for new ideas and practical suggestions to streamline your event management and registration workflow or improve the experience of your participants.
Event Espresso is fully compatible with other WP plugins and themes that follow standard WordPress development rules. If you experience issues with the plugin, however, you will find that Event Espresso provides excellent user support, as many of its end-users attest:
”By far, the customer service experience with Event Espresso has been the best of any WordPress Theme or Paid Plugin that I’ve used in the past two years!” Megan Murray, Boys & Girls Club of Lake Tahoe
The plugin provides amazing support that includes access to a support forum, comprehensive online documentation with faqs, knowledgebase and how tos, premium support and even a monthly VIP member pass giving you access to community of developers, designers, event managers, publishers and webmasters that use Event Espresso tools, plus faster support response times.
In addition, Event Espresso boasts an established team of experienced WordPress developers with a solid track record of support, so this is definitely a solution you can rely on to run your events.
Event Espresso Price
Event Espresso is available in a range of editions, including a FREE basic edition (named Event Espresso Decaf). For support and advanced plugin features, however, you should consider using one of the ”Pro” plugin versions below:
- Personal License – This enables you to configure Event Espresso on 1 site only. Cost includes 51+ Premium features, (add-ons sold separately) and one year of upgrades and support. Cost = $69.95.
- Everything Edition – This enables you to run Event Espresso on 1 domain only. Cost includes 51+ Premium features, 29 Premium addons and 1 year of upgrades and support. Cost = $279.95.
- Developer License – This option allows you to install Event Espresso on 5 sites. Price includes 51+ Premium features, (add ons sold separately) and one year of upgrades and support. Price = $249.95.
Pricing for the Event Espresso plugin can vary, depending on whether there are any promotions or limited-time special offers. Presently, the software sells for the amounts shown above. Check the plugin’s website for current pricing details: Event Espresso – Event Management & Ticketing Registration System For WordPress
Note: The above reflects the pricing at the time this review was written. This may not be the actual pricing charged by the plugin seller when you visit the site.
Event Espresso – Additional Plugin Information
The Event Espresso development team is continually adding new features and improvements to its plugin. Make sure to stay subscribed to their customer update list to receive the latest information and updates.
Use the software’s online documentation pages for answers to common questions about setup and using Event Espresso, and the support forums if you have questions related to a particular use-case, or to notify developers about problems and share feedback.
For all documentation, demos, downloads, videos, tutorials, FAQ and more, visit the Event Espresso web site.
The Bottom Line
Event Espresso is the preferred WP event booking and ticketing management software, used and trusted by thousands of WordPress users.
If you own a WordPress site and you intend to run events that require scheduling dates, times and venues, registering participants, or reserving tickets, then you will probably not find a more suitable software for your needs than Event Espresso.
For more information, visit the plugin website here: Event Espresso – WordPress Event Registration And Ticketing Manager Plugin
Recommended Video Courses For WordPress Users
Learn how to set up and use Amazon S3 to upload, store, manage, and protect your site’s images, large media files, downloadable files, stream videos and more.
More info: How To Use Amazon S3
Recommended Video Courses For WordPress Users
Learn how to install, set up, and locally host a fully functioning WordPress site on your computer.
More info: How To Set Up WordPress On Localhost
Recommended Video Courses For WordPress Users
cPanel is a powerful and simple-to-use web hosting management software application that gives website owners the ability to quickly and easily manage their servers and websites using a simple and intuitive dashboard.
This video course will teach you how to use the main features of cPanel to manage your web hosting.
More info: How To Use cPanel
Recommended Video Courses For WordPress Users
This video course shows you how to use FTP (File Transfer Protocol) to transfer and upload files between your hard drive and your server using a free FTP program called Filezilla.
More info: How To Use FTP