With the increased importance of social sites like Twitter and Facebook, search engines are now taking into account social signals to help determine a site’s ranking.
Note: Google encourages businesses to build their brand on social media as a long-term investment to drive qualified traffic, rather than aiming for short-term benefits like search ranking placement. Matt Cutts, the head of Google’s own web spam team has stated that Google takes a cautious approach when it comes to social signals, as social trends and relationships tend to change too quickly to fully map out. Without a perfect ‘map,’ Google is understandably reticent to assign too much importance to social signals over other aspects of their search algorithm. In summary, Google’s strategy is to “wait and see” how things develop over time, as sites that provide value normally develop longevity, trust and authority, and these are the websites that Google wants to display higher in its search results.
Social Signal Sources
Social media sites that search engines like Google look to for measuring social signals include:
With almost 2 billion active users, Facebook is the most dominant social network on the planet. It has been estimated that one great post can reach up to 150,000 users, so even if it seems like Facebook is not driving a ton of sales on your site, you should not be quick to dismiss the power of leveraging Facebook, as Google uses social data and information from Facebook when determining your search rankings. In fact, research indicates that Facebook seems to have the most influence on website rankings of all social media sites, like Twitter orGooglePlus.
(Number of active Facebook users. Source: Statista.com)
After Facebook, Twitter is the second biggest social media site in the world, with over 600 million tweets sent out every day. Twitter plays a significant role as a global influencer online and places great emphasis on the authority of tweets posted to readers over the volume of tweets sent …
(Over half a billion tweets are sent every single day. Source: InternetLiveStats.com)
As Google’s own social media site, Google+ naturally carries a significant degree of authority online, even if it has not reached the same level of growth and take up as Twitter and Facebook.
(More people are starting to interact socially on GooglePlus each day. Source: InternetLiveStats.com)
In addition to the big 3 listed above, there are a number of other social sites that provide important social signals, like Pinterest, LinkedIn, Reddit, Digg, and StumbleUpon.
(A number of social sites provide important signals that could affect your search engine rankings)
Social Signals – Which Ones Should You Pay Attention To?
Social signals tracked by search engines like Bing and Google include the following:
- Facebook – e.g. how many Facebook likes, comments, and shares you have, growth rate of shares and likes, etc.
- Twitter – e.g. how many tweets and retweets a site has, how influential the person sharing the posts is, trending topics, etc.
- GooglePlus – e.g. who is following you (influential users), how many followers on GooglePlus your site page has, amount of adds and shares, etc.
- Other sites – e.g. growth rate of Pins and re-Pins on Pinterest, comments on Reddit, etc.
- Not so obvious signals – In addition to the above, there are other not so obvious social media-related signals that can indirectly influence search traffic. These include positive and negative factors, such as backlinks from authority sites (not as important as they once were, but still a factor) [positive], and whether your site is deemed to be irrelevant by site reviewers [negative].
As a business owner, it’s not only important to find ways to develop your social media presence, but also to be able to monitor and analyze social media in order to improve your business results.
(Use social media to improve your business results)
Monitoring social media activity allows you to gain insights into your company’s online visibility on social media, spot market opportunities, avert disasters, spy on your competitors, and measure the impact of your marketing campaigns. Additionally, monitoring social media can also provide vital data about emerging trends and what consumers and clients are thinking about specific products, topics, brands, or businesses.
As a business intelligence tool, social media monitoring is invaluable. Using social media monitoring as a form of business intelligence, however, is a complex undertaking, typically carried out by various people including marketing teams, market researchers, PR companies, sales teams, social engagement and community personnel, and social media marketing agencies. Typically, small businesses don’t can’t afford to pay media monitoring professionals to track their coverage in the media.
Fortunately different technology companies have developed tools to facilitate the active monitoring of a broad spectrum of social media channels, allowing you to identify and even predict consumer behavior around your products or brand allowing you to react to conversations and interact with online users in a timely fashion.
We have written a detailed article on social media monitoring tools and technologies that will help you identify new trends and opportunities, track competitor activity, see what conversations are taking place online that could affect your business,etc. For more details:
(Do you know how to effectively measure your social signals?)
In this article, you will learn about a simple, yet effective WordPress plugin for monitoring social media signals and improving your social media presence online.
Our Featured WordPress Product …
SocialMetricsPro – Social Analytics For WordPress
Social Metrics Pro is an easy-to-use social analytics WordPress plugin that is designed to help you increase your social media presence in an uncomplicated way. It is built on a simple premise – the tool measures and tracks how each signal is performing and returns either a green or red indicator. The user’s goal is to turn reds into greens.
(SocialMetricsPro provides a system that anyone can operate … turn reds into greens!)
Colors indicate relative popularity. This simplifies your social analytics. Posts that get shared the most show up green. Posts with low social media activity display amber or red.
The developers of SocialMetricsPro tested their plugin on a network of over two thousand sites over a period of 3 months. During this period, all they focused on was turning the “reds” to “greens” and then keeping their metrics on “green”. From these tests, they noticed that their top 10 best performing sites saw an improvement of up to 360% more traffic, 410% more keywords ranked in the first page of Google and they also experienced a 310% increase in revenues.
(According to Social Metrics Pro developers, improving your social media marketing can result in higher search rankings, more web traffic and an increase in revenue!)
Learn more about this plugin here:
Here are just a few of the benefits and advantages of using SocialMetricsPro to track Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more directly from your WordPress Dashboard on your web site:
Quick And Simple To Install And Configure. Ready To Start Using In No Time.
Social Metrics Pro installs just like any other WordPress plugin. Just upload it to your Plugins folder via your WP dashboard and activate.
Really Simple To Use
As mentioned earlier, the site owner’s goal is to convert all the red squares into greens. SocialMetricsPro tracks and measures social media signals the way Google sees it so you know which social campaigns need you to invest more effort and where to optimize.
Track Only Social Signals You Care About
Social Metrics Pro lets you centrally monitor social activity across leading social media networks like Facebook, GooglePlus, Twitter, StumbleUpon, Pinterest, LinkedIn, and Digg.
SocialMetricsPro helps you get answers to questions like:
- Which social media networks work best for my site?
- Which social campaigns are performing the best on these social networks?
- Which are my most popular posts?
- And more …
With SocialMetricsPro, all this information can be accessed with just one click.
(SocialMetricsPro actively monitors the social media sites that you care most about!)
SocialMetricsPro provides many features to website owners. Below we have listed just some:
- Fast and simple to install and configure. Ready to go to work in minutes.
- Widgets & Extensions Ready. You can extend its functionality using external and built-in widgets. View the latest information from your WP dashboard, add popular content to your sidebar or anywhere on your site using widgets.
- 1-click updating. Update Social Metrics Pro with a single click via the WordPress Updates page, or update it manually. You can also opt to be notified via email when new plugin updates are released.
- Low server resource consumption. The plugin generates reports in seconds, consuming little hosting resources. The tool also displays the amount of time spent retrieving information and the server memory consumed when gathering the data.
Additional plugin features include:
- Sorting, Searching & Filtering Features: Social Metrics Pro allows you to sort and filter the information however you like. You can perform keyword searches to study posts related to certain topics, and even filter the results by publishing date, post authors, post type, or category.
- Export Data To Excel: You can export and plot data in Excel for further analysis. Data can be exported in tab-delimited and comma-separated file formats, and imported to Excel or the spreadsheet application of your choice.
(Social Metrics Pro is simple to use … just convert more red squares into greens!)
Feedback From Users
Here are some of the testimonials and comments plugin users have submitted regarding SocialMetricsPro:
”As with any cool plugin, it solves a very simple problem – how to view how well your WordPress posts are being promoted.” Adam Small, Marketing Tech Blog
”I give Social Metrics a big thumbs up and I recommend it to anyone who’s serious about tracking their social sharing analytics.” James Johnson, Senior Editor at The Inquisitr
SocialMetricsPro – Tips
A practical, step-by-step guide containing useful advice on how to optimize your site for social media success (i.e. how to turn reds into greens) is also included.
SocialMetricsPro is well-supported, and comes with free support and free lifetime updates, backed by a risk-free, sixty-day, complete money-back guarantee.
SocialMetricsPro plugin is available in two editions:
- Single Site License – This allows you to use Social Metrics Pro on a single website. Pricing includes free lifetime upgrades and free support. Cost = $27.00 (one-time).
- Multiple Sites License – This license lets you run Social Metrics Pro on all sites that you own. It includes free lifetime updates and support. Price = $47.00 (one-time).
Note: Pricing details of the product depends on whether there are any promotions or limited-time special offers. Currently, the plugin retails for the amounts shown above. This may or may not be the actual pricing set by the product seller when you visit the product website and there may be additional upsells or one-time offers after your purchase.
Check the plugin’s website for current pricing details:
Social Metrics Pro requires a self-hosted installation of WordPress and can be instantly downloaded after purchase.
As mentioned earlier, with the growth of social sites like Facebook and Twitter, search engines like Bing and Google now take into account various social signals when determining a website’s ranking.
No website owner can afford to ignore how important social media is to their online success. SocialMetricsPro solves the problem of how to find a simple, time-saving solution that gives you instant feedback on the success of your social marketing campaigns and guides you how to improve your results.
Social Metrics Pro is an ideal tool for beginners and advanced WordPress users alike. It tracks Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more directly from your WP admin area.
We recommend Social Metrics Pro if you own or manage WordPress sites and want to see measurable results.
For more information, visit the plugin website here: Social Metrics Pro – Social Analytics Plugin For WordPress