Google has been elevating the importance given to social signals as part of its ranking algorithm for several years now.
Note: Google encourages website owners to build their brand on social media as a long-term investment to drive qualified traffic, instead of aiming for short-term benefits like search ranking placement. Google’s own head of the web spam team Matt Cutts has stated that Google takes a cautious approach when it comes to social media, as so many things change quickly on social media. Without a perfect ‘map,’ Google is understandably reticent to assign more importance to the social sphere over other aspects of their search algorithm. In short, Google’s strategy is a sensible one - “wait and see” how things develop over time, as websites that provide real value tend to develop longevity, trust and authority, and these are the websites that Google wants to rank higher in its search engine listings.
Social Signal Sources
Social sites that search engines like Google and Bing look to when measuring social signals include:
With almost 2 billion monthly active users, Facebook is the most dominant social media network on the planet. It has been estimated that one great post on Facebook can reach up to 150,000 users, so even if no one is buying your products or services on Facebook, you should not be quick to dismiss the power of leveraging Facebook, as Google uses social data and information from Facebook when determining your search rankings. In fact, research indicates that Facebook seems influence search engine rankings more than other social media sites.
(Number of active Facebook users. Source: Statista.com)
After Facebook, Twitter is the next largest social media site in the world, with over 600 million tweets sent out every single day. Twitter plays a significant role as a global influencer on the cybersphere and places great emphasis on the authority of tweets posted to readers over the amount of tweets sent …
(Over 500 million tweets are sent every day. Source: Internet Live Stats)
Google’s own social media site naturally carries a significant degree of authority online, even if it has not reached the same level of growth and take up as Twitter and Facebook.
(More people are interacting socially on Google+ each day. Source: InternetLiveStats.com)
In addition to the big 3 social sites listed above, there are a number of other sites worth paying attention to, such as Pinterest, LinkedIn, Digg, StumbleUpon, and Reddit.
(A number of social sites provide important signals that could affect your search engine rankings)
Social Signals – Which Ones Should You Be Paying Attention To?
Social signals tracked by search engines include:
- Facebook – e.g. how many Facebook likes, shares, and comments a person has, growth rate of shares and likes, etc.
- Twitter – e.g. tweets and retweets, how influential the person sending a tweet is, trending topics, etc.
- Google+ – e.g. who is following you (high profile users), how many people follow you, amount and authority of +1s, etc.
- Other sites – e.g. number of Pins and re-Pins on Pinterest, comments on Digg, etc.
- Not so obvious signals – In addition to the above, there are other not so obvious social media-related factors that can indirectly influence search engine rankings and traffic. These include positive and negative factors, such as age and authority of your social media account [positive], and whether your site is deemed to be irrelevant by other users [negative].
As a website owner, it’s important to not only grow your presence on major social networking websites, but also to be able to monitor and analyze your social signals in order to improve your business results.
(Using social media can improve your business results)
Social media monitoring allows you to find insights into your company’s overall visibility on social media, measure the impact of campaigns, avert impending crises, spot opportunities for engagement, and spy on the competition. It can also provide you with valuable data about emerging trends and what clients and consumers are thinking about specific brands, products, topics, or businesses.
As a business intelligence tool, being able to track activity, trends, and social conversations on social media is invaluable. Using social media monitoring as a form of business intelligence, however, is a complex undertaking, typically carried out by a cross-section of people including marketing professionals, market researchers, digital reputation management (ORM) companies, sales teams, agencies, and social engagement and community personnel. Typically, small businesses do not can’t afford to pay a media monitoring service to track their coverage in the and actively monitor their digital reputation.
Fortunately various providers have developed tools to facilitate the active tracking of a variety of social media channels, allowing you to identify consumer behavior around your brand allowing you to respond to conversations and interact with consumers in various social media platforms.
We have written a comprehensive article on social media measurement tools and technologies that are worth knowing about. If you would like to know more here:
(Are you measuring your social signals effectively?)
In this article, we review a simple social media tracking tool for your web presence and growing your social media influence online.
SocialMetricsPro – Social Media Analytics WordPress Plugin
SocialMetricsPro is an easy-to-install social media analytics plugin for WordPress that is designed to make growing your social media influence online uncomplicated. It is built on a simple premise – Social Metrics Pro tracks how each signal is performing and returns either a green or red indicator. The user’s objective is to turn all the red squares into greens.
(Social Metrics Pro provides a standard operating procedure that any website owner can follow … turn all the reds into greens!)
Colors indicate relative popularity. Posts that get shared the most display green. Posts with low social media activity display amber and red.
The plugin developers tested Social Metrics Pro on a network of over two thousand sites over a period of three months. During this period, all they focused on was turning the “reds” to “greens” and then keeping their metrics on “green”. According to the plugin developers, they were able to notice a 360% improvement in traffic for their top 10 performing sites, 410% more keywords ranked in the first page of Google and their revenue increased by 310%.
(According to SocialMetricsPro developers, focusing on improving your social media marketing can dramatically impact your search rankings, web traffic and revenue!)
Benefits Of Using SocialMetricsPro
Here we have listed just a few of the benefits and advantages of using Social Metrics Pro to track Likes, Tweets, Pins, +1s and more from your WP Dashboard on your web site:
Social Metrics Pro installs just like every WP plugin. Just upload the plugin file to your Plugins folder via your WordPress dashboard and activate.
Really Simple To Use
As mentioned earlier, your objective is to convert reds into greens. Social Metrics Pro tracks and measures social signals so you know which social campaigns need more effort and where to optimize.
Choose Only Social Signals You Care About
Social Metrics Pro allows you to track and monitor social media activity across leading social networks like Facebook, GooglePlus, Twitter, Digg, StumbleUpon, LinkedIn, and Pinterest.
SocialMetricsPro helps you get answers to questions like:
- Which social media networks work best for my site?
- Which social campaigns are performing the best on these social networks?
- Which are my most popular posts?
- And more …
With Social Metrics Pro, all this information is available on-demand, with a single click.
(Social Metrics Pro constantly monitors the social media sites that you care most about!)
SocialMetricsPro offers a number of great features to WP users. Below we have listed just a few:
- Quick and easy to install and implement. Be up and running in minutes.
- SocialMetricsPro Is Widgets & Extensions Ready. You can extend its functionality with external and built-in widgets. Access updated stats from your WordPress admin bar, display socially popular content on your sidebar or anywhere on your site using point-and-click widgets.
- 1-click auto-upgrading functionality. You can update the plugin with a single click via the WordPress Updates page, or update it manually. You can also choose to be notified via email whenever a new version is released.
- Minimal server resources consumption. Reporting is fast, using very little hosting resources. Reports also display the amount of time it took to retrieve the information and the server memory consumed when gathering and compiling data.
Additional plugin features include:
- Sorting, Searching & Filtering Features: Social Metrics Pro lets you sort, search and filter your data however you like. You can perform keyword searches to study topic-related posts, and even filter the results by publishing date, post type, category, or post authors.
- Export Data: You can export filtered data and custom queries to Excel for further analysis. Data can be exported in tab-delimited and comma-separated file formats, and imported to the spreadsheet application of your choice.
(Social Metrics Pro is very simple to use … just change all the red squares into greens!)
Here are a few of the testimonials and comments plugin customers have written about the SocialMetricsPro plugin:
“Social Metrics Pro is the essential plugin we use to monitor how our content performs on social networks such as Twitter and Facebook. It’s simple, neat and works precisely as you would expect it. When we work with our clients such as T-Mobile, the .Me domain name registry and others, Social Metrics Pro is the plugin we use to create reports as well as keep track on each bit of content to optimize it for future performance.” Ivan Brezak Brkan, Editor of Netokracija.com, TechCrunch EU Contributor
”If you can’t measure it, you can’t improve.” Goes one of the most important sayings in business. And this is particularly true for tracking of your social mentions I found. There were two things that helped me a great deal to increase sharing after installing Social Metrics: First, I was able to see that some of my articles would perform much better on networks I wasn’t particularly using, such as StumbleUpon for example. Secondly, I could filter out the best performing content more easily and analyse what makes my readers share. Since then I have focused strongly on producing and replicating those posts that performed best.” Leo Widrich, Co-Founder of Buffer
SocialMetricsPro – Tips
A practical, step-by-step guide containing useful advice on how to optimize your social media strategy (i.e. how to turn reds into greens) is also included.
Social Metrics Pro Support
Social Metrics Pro is well-supported, and comes with free support and free lifetime updates, backed by a no-risk, 60-day, complete refund guarantee.
SocialMetricsPro plugin is available in two editions:
- Single Site Edition – This license allows you to use Social Metrics Pro on a single site. Includes free lifetime updates and free support. Price = $27.00 (one-time).
- Multi-Site License – This allows you to use Social Metrics Pro on all web sites that you own. Pricing includes free lifetime upgrades and support. Price = $47.00 (one-time).
Note: Current pricing for SocialMetricsPro depends on whether there are any promotions or limited-time specials being offered. The pricing shown above was current when this article was published. This may or may not be the actual price charged by the software author when you visit the product site and you may be shown additional upsells or one-time offers after you’ve purchased.
Check the plugin’s website for current pricing details:
Additional Plugin Information
Social Metrics Pro requires a self-hosted installation of WordPress and can be instantly downloaded after purchase.
As mentioned earlier, Google has been elevating the importance given to social signals as part of its ranking algorithm.
No website owner can afford to ignore the importance of social media. Social Metrics Pro solves the problem of how to find a simple, time-saving solution that gives you instant feedback on the success of your social marketing strategy and shows you how and where to improve your results.
SocialMetricsPro is ideal for beginners and advanced WordPress users alike. It tracks Tweets, Likes, Pins, +1s and more right from your WP admin area.
Get SocialMetricsPro if you own or manage WordPress sites and want to use social signals to get better search engine rankings.
For complete details, visit the plugin website: Social Metrics Pro – Social Media Analytics Plugin For WordPress